PDA

View Full Version : France gives up on hosting the 2014 world Championship

Aegis
11-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Après avoir vu l'organisation du Mondial 2010 lui échapper au profit de la Turquie, la France ne sera finalement pas candidate pour l'édition 2014. «Après avoir fait acte d'intention, on avait jusqu'à fin novembre pour confirmer notre candidature. On ne l'a pas fait faute d'obtenir une garantie de l'Etat à la hauteur du budget nécessaire, explique le directeur marketing de la FFBB, Raymond Bauriaud. Les exigences de la Fiba sont devenues très lourdes. Elle nous a clairement fait comprendre qu'il fallait un budget entre 30 et 40 millions d'euros. Celui de l'Espagne (autre candidate) monte à 40 millions d'euros. C'est colossal».

La Fédération tricolore avait tablé sur un budget de 33 millions, dont 20 à 25 millions financés par l'Etat. Un montant consacré seulement à l'organisation en elle-même, et qui ne prend par exemple pas en compte les aménagements des salles. Un problème d'autant plus important qu'aucune enceinte de Pro A n'est aux normes d'un Mondial. «Dans ces conditions, ça ne sert à rien d'aller plus loin», a conclu Bauriaud.

La Chine, l'Italie, et l'Espagne sont les trois candidats annoncés, et ont encore quelques jours pour remettre leur dossier final. Décision au printemps 2009. (Avec AFP)

Basically, the FIBA asks for a budget between 30-40 M€. The french federation only managed to make a budget of 33 M€ (including 20-25 M€ from public money. They didn't even made 15 M€ of private money. Say a lot about the disinterest for basketball in the country), not including the arena's upgrading / building while there are apparently NO arenas at the FIBA norms in Pro A. (I guess Paris-Bercy is the only one in the damn country), so they thought it was hopeless.
China, Italy and Spain are still candidates. Spain's budget for the organization is 40 M€ (and their arenas are already much better than ours). They still have a couple of days to hand over their files and FIBA will decide next spring.

Well, it's a shame. It's was the perfect chance to force the club to move on and build modern arenas and to force some spotlight on bball in the country. Both Orleans and Villeurbanne plans to build new big arenas. Some non-basketball cities (Bordeaux, Montpellier, Lille) are building multi-functions arenas that would have been perfect for such an event. Then with a little push / incensitive, Nancy and Le Mans (best teams of the recent years in France) could have built new arenas so that they can grow bigger (Nancy is even thinking about it, even if they are not really serious yet and there is no real project) and we had our arenas.

In 2006, there were 4 arenas for the earlier stage (the biggest of them having a capacity of 6900 seats) and a giant one (21000 seats, I have to admit we don't have that right now in France) for the latter games. Well, we are already okay for the earliest games (only some minor norms fixing I think) and I pretty sure we would be even with some norms fixing in 2014 and it turns out Roland Garros (French Open of Tennis) is planning a new central court with retractable roof ? In Paris. Wasn't that the perfect opportunity ?

I just don't understand how it's possible bball attracts almost no private money in France and that Paris can't have a supersized arena. (the way things are going, you'll see that we'll end up with a 14k seats tennis court that will be useless for everything else)

The football federation is trying to do the same thing with Euro2016 by the way (using the money generated by the even to upgrade the stadiums) after realizing how wasted the 1998 chance was even if I don't think we'll be chosen by UEFA.

alermac
11-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Basically, the FIBA asks for a budget between 30-40 M€. The french federation only managed to make a budget of 33 M€ (including 20-25 M€ from public money.
With these requirements, how many countries can aspire to host the World Championship? Not many, I think, and it's a shame.

b3lowzro
11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
With these requirements, how many countries can aspire to host the World Championship? Not many, I think, and it's a shame.

Indeed, FIBA should be the one shouldering the cost of these tournaments, in fact theses shouldn't be used for gathering profits.

Aegis
11-30-2008, 07:03 AM
But 40 millions euros is not that much, I think ...

The budget of the 2007 Rugby World Cup (mainly in France with 4 games in Cardiff - Wales and 2 in Edinburgh - Scotland ) was 180 millions euros ...

And the TV rights for the basketball event should be much much higher. (I mean, who watches rugby besides France, the UK / Eire, Australia, NZ and South Africa ?), so it should bring a lot of cash ? Unless FIBA rapes all of the TV money ?