Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Worst Coaches of Philippine Basketball

Guys,

who do you think are the great tactician, influential Coaches we have in the long history of Philippine Basketball???

And on the roster of active coaches now, who do you think is a better coach?

I separated the great Coaches of the yester-years from our active coaches now.

So we can choose many options.

I pass for the coaches of the yester-years because ang inabot ko na lang eh si Coach Jawo, unfortunately during the great Crispa-Toyota days... love letter pa lang ako ng tatay ko sa nanay ko...

So let this post roll..... D
    Being Smart doesn't necessary mean you're Being Right.

Definetely Yeng Guiao, Chot Reyes and Nash Racela would make the list...
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by thekidd
      Guys,

who do you think are the great tactician, influential Coaches we have in the long history of Philippine Basketball???

And on the roster of active coaches now, who do you think is a better coach?

I separated the great Coaches of the yester-years from our active coaches now.

So we can choose many options.

I pass for the coaches of the yester-years because ang inabot ko na lang eh si Coach Jawo, unfortunately during the great Crispa-Toyota days... love letter pa lang ako ng tatay ko sa nanay ko...

So let this post roll..... D
      I think this days.I'll go for Coach Chot

For yester-years , Ron Jacobs

Comment

Ron Jacobs, Bill Bayno for me..........

Comment

back then - its ron jacobs

right now- chot reyes and tanquincen

Comment

Baby "The Maestro" Dalupan for yesteryears and jong uichico for present day coaches

Comment

For the active coaches, I go for Coach Siot Tanquincen...

He's an underrated coach.... he is still the youngest coach in the pro league and always comes in the team (Ginebra and SMB) as a reliever...

And while coaching for Ginebra (Win -loss 0-3)he grabbed back to back championships and turned an unknown Anthony Helterbrand into a prime PG in RP...

And when he was assigned as assistant coach when Coach Jong (comes from SMB as Head Coach) came to Ginebra... He is humble enough to relegated to the postion...

Now he is an inter-rim coach of SMB (eventually he'll be relegated again as assistant coach after the RP NT stint of Coach Chot Reyes who is the SMB Head Coach) the team is a bottom dweller....

But now SMB under Coach Siot defeated his former team, Ginebra under Coach Jong and SMB made it to the Semis... FYI, Coach Jong was the coach of SMB when they defeated them (SMB) in the Semifinals in PBA and Ginebra eventually won that Championship....

For me he is one of the better coaches in the active roster....

At this early age he has 2 championships as Head Coach, few as a Asst. Coach... Probably he has a good chance to win again with San Miguel this conference....

Coach Yeng is definitely a perfect choice as a top coach....

Look at his impressive CV...

But look also on his team roster... from the early 90's upto now...

You will notice his roster will not be filled with All-Stars... but role players... except during the Mighty Sunkist Team era... actually he turned those players from a reliever to a potent /effective member...

Ric-Ric Marata
              Boybits Victoria
              Nelson Asaytono (an unMVP-MVP of the PBA)
              Chris Bolado

and on his Red Bull team
              Valenzuela
              Devon Harp
              Willie Miller (during his Letran days, willie is not as great if compared to his other team mates. Calagiuo, Kerby Raymundo, Reyes, Moody, Prior)
              Topex Robinson (Same as willie miller, he is not a scorer during his San Sebastian days playing along with the other great players of that Mighty San Sebastian era.)
              Carlo Sharma (who expects this guy will be great in the PBA? but look how he can defend and score against Menk and other big guys now.)
              Bugia
              Mick Penissi
              Larry Fonacier (everybody expected that his basketball career have ended after his injury during the Ateneo Game, but he still won the Rookie of the Year.)
              Ritch Alvarez (#1 Draft by Shell and traded with Alaska and got lost in the rotation.)

For me these two coaches are good aspirant for the next RP NT Head Coach...

Both of them can deliver and both of them can mold a player to an effective part of the team....
              Being Smart doesn't necessary mean you're Being Right.

Comment

Virgilio "Baby" Dalupan and Ron Jacobs

sigpic

Comment

what's wrong with Philippines? do you have any success with NT or clubs? seems like you're going crazy about Bball.
                  LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                  Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                  Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward
                    what's wrong with Philippines? do you have any success with NT or clubs? seems like you're going crazy about Bball.
                    well you're crazy enough to post here..just kidding
                    why don't you come over here in our country and experience "bugbog" in the basketball court, as in "kuyog" at least.

well, back to the topic, my bets will be:

1. Yeng Guiao - aside from being a great motivator, he can also stick an elbow to players. just kidding.

2. Tanquincen - the most scientific coach and scout next to Chot Reyes.

3. Joel Banal - he's overachieved during his reign as head coach in the amateur and pros, I hope he'll take over Tim Cone's shoes once Alaska decided to have a new head coach.
                    It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
                      well you're crazy enough to post here..just kidding
                      why don't you come over here in our country and experience "bugbog" in the basketball court, as in "kuyog" at least.

well, back to the topic, my bets will be:

1. Yeng Guiao - aside from being a great motivator, he can also stick an elbow to players. just kidding.

2. Tanquincen - the most scientific coach and scout next to Chot Reyes.

3. Joel Banal - he's overachieved during his reign as head coach in the amateur and pros, I hope he'll take over Tim Cone's shoes once Alaska decided to have a new head coach.
                      it would be interesting god damn. maby somday

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward
                        it would be interesting god damn. maby somday
                        well maybe someday you'll get a job then you'll earn a decent salary and when you already have the money, come here and enjoy playing basketball with construction workers. that will be a great experience for you.

hey, let me be straight forward to you Lithuanese or Lituanator or whatever your nationality is, you're posting things that are off-the-topic, kindly make a new thread if you have other things in mind, this is a thread for the "Best Coaches in the Philippines", no more no less, kindly post somewhere else or much better get lost. tnx...
                        I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

My list (Past and Present)

Ron Jacobs
                          Chot Reyes
                          Siot Tanguincen
                          Yeng Guiao
                          Joel Banal
                          Last edited by ctongco; 06-29-2007, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctongco
                            My list (Past and Present)

Ron Jacobs
                            Chot Reyes
                            Siot Tanguincen
                            Yeng Guiao
                            Boy Banal
                            who's Boy Banal? did you mean Coy Banal?

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
                              well maybe someday you'll get a job then you'll earn a decent salary and when you already have the money, come here and enjoy playing basketball with construction workers. that will be a great experience for you.

hey, let me be straight forward to you Lithuanese or Lituanator or whatever your nationality is, you're posting things that are off-the-topic, kindly make a new thread if you have other things in mind, this is a thread for the "Best Coaches in the Philippines", no more no less, kindly post somewhere else or much better get lost. tnx...
                              don’t get so wrought-up, my dear friend! even though i'm going crazy about amazing Philippines (or whatever) basketball, it will not be difficult to forget this cloud-castle good luck

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information