Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korea naturalizes half-Korean Americans? (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korea naturalizes half-Korean Americans? (merged)

For those of you who remember, Tony Akins was one of the best players in the ACC many years ago when he suited up for Georgia Tech. I've always known he was half-black half-Korean but now after playing for many years in Europe (France, Greece, Poland, Croatia etc.) and even a few games for China's Beijing Ducks in 02-03, he decided to join the KBL. Since he's half-Korean he's eligible to play as a domestic player and can probably suit up for Korean NT in the future.

Here's an interview from last year:

Although Korea never really lacked guards as much as big men, so I wonder how much he's going to help them if this plan does go through.

Sounds like he's really cocky
    I guess Korea just isn't ready for that type of change yet. I know if they were to allow me to get my citizenship the Korean national basketball team would make the Olympic qualifications every time instead of losing to China, Japan, and every other Asian country.
    Last edited by sinobball; 11-18-2008, 12:47 AM.
    aim low, score high

re

KBL decided to give a chance to half-Koreans join as domestic player in this upcomming KBL additional draft.

Akins back to Korea with her mother last week,
    and his mother applied to re-gain Korean passport,
    If she got Korean passport, Akins will got Korean passport easily.
    He scored 26p in exhibition game with SangMu(army team)

But, FIBA allow 1 player for each NT, so he have to compete with Lee Dong Jun(a.k.a Daniel Sandrin) and future KBL additional draftees
    like Eric Sandrin, Jerod Stevenson, Tony Rutland....

Eric Sandrin aleady applied Korean passport last summer. So Korea NT have to Choose big one or small-good one.
    I think NT head coach will chooes Eric Sandrin, if he can.
    http://sports.khan.co.kr/news/sk_ind...d=530301&pt=nv

Comment

Doesn't FIBA treat players like Akins as natural-born, non-naturalized citizens? Or does Korea consider cases like his as naturalized?
      Keep running, big boy.

Comment

re

I don't know about that problem clearly.
        FIBA consider Kim MinSoo(a.k.a Julian Kim) as non-naturalized player, but they consider Lee DongJun(a.k.a Daniel Sandrin) as naturalized player.

I don't know exact defference between them, but I heard Kim MinSoo has Korea passport when he was born cuz of Algentina allows 2 citizenship.

Korea NT need a FIBA's interpretation about that.

Comment

If Akins got his passport before he got 18-years old or so, he will be considered non-naturalized.If not, and that is probably the case here, he is a naturalized player. I liked the Koreans in Athens, but they lack defensive skills, and Akins is a poor defensive player...

I from Wisconsin!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

KBL Pre-Draft Tryout / Draft (for Half- Korean Players)

KBL Pre-Draft Tryout / Draft (for Half- Korean Players)

Korean Basketball League(KBL) Draft for “Half-Korean Players” will be held on Feb. 3rd or4th 2009 . (If necessary) Pre-Draft Tryout is to be held between Jan.23 rd and 31 st 2009.

The players who are interested to become eligible to play in KBL 2009~2010 season(scheduled to commence from the middle of October 2009 and last until end of April 2010.) and meet the qualifications stated below, are requested to fill out the application form and send it in via fax or by e-mail to KBL office by Dec.31 st, 2008(Korea Time)

ㆍ A. Required Qualification for “Half-Korean Players”
            ※ “Half-Korean” means whose biological father or mother has previously held Korean citizenship and has since gained foreign citizenship. If “Half-Korean Player” is drafted by KBL, player MUST take legal procedure and become Korean Citizen.
            1. Must have at least a high school diploma
            2. Must be at least 18years of age

ㆍ B. Required Documents
            1.KBL Tryout Application Form
            2.Must be able to produce original or photo copy of biological father or mother’s family register document or Korean passport which shows name, DOB, passport number and photo of individual. (Important : All information in the document MUST be clearly legible)
            3. Personal data (stats must be official game stats)
            4. A copy of university / college / high school diploma

ㆍ C. KBL Pre-Draft Tryout / Draft Schedule
            Sec Schedule
            Application Deadline Dec.31 st 2008(Wed)
            Final Announcement Jan.6th 2009(Thu)

TRYOUT
            (If necessary)To be held between Jan.23 rd and 31 st 2009.
            ※ The actual decision to hold the Tryout and the format of
            the Tryout shall be announced by Jan.6th 2009.
            DRAFT
            Feb. 3rd or4th 2009(Tue)
            ※ All dates stated above are Korean local time.

ㆍ D. CONTACT
            1. KBL OPERATION DEPARTMENT
            KBL CENTER BLDG 5th Fl., NONHYUN-DONG-2 SEOUL, KOREA
            2. TEL : +82 2 2106 3052 ~ 5
            3. Fax : +82 2 2106 3094
            4. E-MAIL : draft@kbl.or.kr

[2009 KBL Pre-Draft Tryout APPLICATION FORM Download]
            go to http://www.kbl.or.kr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Papers say 4 players will join that draft.

Jarod Stevenson(200-F-75)
            Greg Stevenson(198-F/G-78)
            Eric Sandrin(204-F-78)
            Tony Akins(181-G-78)

And as I know, 2~3 more players can join that draft.

John Kim(185-G-82)
            Tony Rutland(188-G-75)
            Berrontie Sims(203-C-??)

Do you know anyone more?

Comment

KBL Draft for Domestic Players
              KBL Draft for Import Players
              KBL Draft for Half-Koreans

What's next, KBL Draft for Black 7 footers?
              aim low, score high

Comment

dwight smith
                6'6 G
                PERU
                tony lee
                7'0 F
                INDIANA
                lee fang an
                5'10 G
                BOSTON
                sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

@rocketstar:
                  What does "Peru" , "Indiana" and "Boston" mean ? Their team, city of birth or where they would love to play at ? I can't find no information on these players,looks like hoax to me...

I from Wisconsin!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Korea naturalized 2 USA players

News link:http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=13089893
                    Jarod Stevenson (born December 1, 1975 in Seoul, South Korea) is an American professional basketball player. He plays at the small forward position. He is 2.00 m (6 ft 6¾ in) in height.

Gregory Stevenson
                    Their's fahter is American mother is Korear.
                    Last edited by sinobball; 03-20-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FEIFEI
                      News link:http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=13089893
                      Jarod Stevenson (born December 1, 1975 in Seoul, South Korea) is an American professional basketball player. He plays at the small forward position. He is 2.00 m (6 ft 6¾ in) in height.

Gregory Stevenson
                      Their's fahter is American mother is Korear.
                      Are they Korea-American ? then they are not naturalized.
                      Lebanon will get few Lebanese-Americans soon.
                      Proud to be Lebanese
                      www.arabasket.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniab
                        Are they Korea-American ? then they are not naturalized.
                        Lebanon will get few Lebanese-Americans soon.
                        Yes !They are Korea-American.
                        But their nationality are USA.If they are not naturalized,then who are thay??
                        I've heard you said ,Lebanon will get few Lebanese-Americans in 2008.
                        Then can you tell me how many Lebanese-Americans players will really get ??
                        Who are thay???

Comment

Atkins Goes No. 1 to Egis in ethnic Korean Draft - Feb 6, 2009 (by Eurobasket )
                          Korean-American Toni Akins (180-G-80, agency: Court Side, college: Georgia Tech) was selected for the KCC Egis in the first ever ethnic Korean draft in the Korean Basketball League (KBL) Tuesday.
                          The 28-year-old has played as a starter at Georgia Tech University, which is one of the traditionally powerful teams in the National College Athletic Association (NCAA), and also in various European leagues including those in Greece, Croatia, France and Poland. He averaged 11.5 points with 5.7 assists during 15 games in the Croatian league last season
                          The 1.78-meter tall player participated in the foreign player draft but he wasn't selected because of his height.
                          With the Egis now securing a talented guard, they appear to have solved an ongoing problem, now boasting Lim Jae-Hyun (183-G-77), Kang Byung-Hyun (192-G-85) and Atkins.
                          The Samsung Thunders, which got the second draft pick by lottery, chose Sandrin Eric (206-F/C-78, agency: Tank Sports, college: Seattle Pacific). Sandrin, known as the elder brother of Daegu Orions forward Lee Dong-Jun (187-G-79), played for the Ulsan Mobis and averaged 11.8 points with 6.6 rebounds during 24 games in the KBL last season.
                          The 2.02-meter tall player shoots well both from the inside and outside.
                          The LG Sakers picked 1.92-meter tall Greg Stevenson (198-F-78, agency: SportsTalent, college: Richmond), while the KT&G Kites and KTF MagicWings followed by choosing Kevin Mitchell (188-G-80, college: UTPA) and Chris Vann (183-G-86). Both will play as guards.
                          The league's other teams dropped their right for nominations.
                          Seven players took part in the draft, but only five were selected.
                          The nominated players can play for one team for up to three years.
                          The draft for university students is to be held Wednesday afternoon

Courtesy of By Yoon Chul

Proud to be Lebanese
                          www.arabasket.com

Comment

Originally posted by FEIFEI
                            Yes !They are Korea-American.
                            But their nationality are USA.If they are not naturalized,then who are thay??
                            I've heard you said ,Lebanon will get few Lebanese-Americans in 2008.
                            Then can you tell me how many Lebanese-Americans players will really get ??
                            Who are thay???

You will know soon.
                            Proud to be Lebanese
                            www.arabasket.com

Comment

Naturalization is the acquisition of citizenship or nationality by somebody who was not a citizen or national of that country when he or she was born.

1: to confer the rights of a national on ; especially : to admit to citizenship

If Jarod Stevenson gained Korean citizenship, doesn't that mean he has to give up his USA citizenship? since Korea doesn't offer dual-citizenship.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information