PDA

View Full Version : NBA Brazilians 2008-09

rikhardur
10-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Not the best round for Barbosa and Varejão, both scoring just 2 points against the Hornets and Bobcats respectively. Barbosa was horrible from the floor (1/2 FG, 0/5 3pt).
Nenê will play tonight against the Clippers after a nice display in the season's first game vs the Jazz (11 pts + 4 rebounds).

rikhardur
11-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Nenê with a very solid performance: 22 pts + 11 rebs + 3 blocks as the Nuggets beat the Clippers.

rikhardur
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Nenê keeps coming back strong, he had 19 pts + 15 rebs + 3 blocks as the Nuggets lose to the Warriors.
Barbosa keeps disappointing, what's wrong with him?

alermac
11-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Barbosa keeps disappointing, what's wrong with him?
Maybe it's the change of system, and the slower game pace, it hurts such a speedy guy.

mvblair
11-07-2008, 04:27 PM
It looks like Varejão is going to be the same as the past three years. He'll have about 25 minutes per game with 6 or 7 rebounds and 5 or 6 points. Every game, Varejão gets a couple of "put back" points and some good rebounds, but he also takes a shot or two that make me sick.

Still, Varejão is a decent defender. He's our best PF right now, because whil Ben Wallace gets rebounds, nobody guards him on offense unless he's within five feet of the basket.

I think Barbosa will pick up his statistics. Dragic is OK (he'll get better), but Barbosa is really their best option behind Steve Nash.

Is Araújo still in Russia? Any rumors?

rikhardur
11-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Varejão did a bit more this time :p 18 pts + 8 rebs + 3 steals on a good 8-12 FG + 2-2 FT shooting as the Cavaliers beat the Pacers.

mvblair
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Varejão did a bit more this time :p 18 pts + 8 rebs + 3 steals on a good 8-12 FG + 2-2 FT shooting as the Cavaliers beat the Pacers.Yeah, maybe I spoke too soon. :rolleyes: Big V did a great job. The best thing about his statistics Friday was the 8-12 shooting. I didn't see the game, but I read he scored 7 straight points in the 4th quarter when it was close. Of Varejão, LeBron said "when the ball comes to him, he’s ready for it." I still don't think that's true, but it's great to see him making a big scoring impact.

mvblair
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Barbosa had 27 points (10-13) in only 22 minutes. Phoenix barely beat Memphis.

In the Forest (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3731/photos;_ylt=Aiwvj8.tDOmRGzYAL5VOmCTdPKB4?slug=5a23 609c69b72a25d120ee1b6cb9db49-getty-82994135ab002_suns_grizzlies)
Doing what he does best (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3731/photos;_ylt=Ahcip14KoDqjmgXRdqAp20TdPKB4?slug=9bf3 f29cbdafad442fa4cf9dd960b13e-getty-82994135ab013_suns_grizzlies)

mvblair
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Matt, you dope. Varejao had another great night in a win against Milwaukee. He had 13 points (5-5 shooting) and 10 rebounds.

alermac
11-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Matt, you dope. Varejao had another great night in a win against Milwaukee. He had 13 points (5-5 shooting) and 10 rebounds.
You're the reverse jinx?

mvblair
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
You're the reverse jinx? Hey...maybe you're right...OK, I'm not going to score 5 points in my Friday morning pick-up game. :D

Khalid80
11-12-2008, 05:33 PM

No, I think u should keep it up :p He might end up with a triple double in his next game :D
(U should be happy. I mean the guy does play for ur team and his constant support is required :) . I wish Lebron can average 41 points for the whole season but it's better seeing the other Cavs take their playing level up to a another notch (that's if they ever want to advance well into the playoffs at the end of the season).

rikhardur
11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Sad news...

Suns' Barbosa back in Brazil after mother dies

PHOENIX (AP) -- Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa returned to Brazil after his mother died.
He flew to his hometown of Sao Paulo late Thursday after learning of the death of his mother, Ivete Barbosa. Team officials are not sure when Barbosa will return.

His mother had been ill, and he missed two weeks of training camp because she was hospitalized.

The Suns play the Kings on Friday night in Sacramento.
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/14/111408barbosaout.ap/index.html

mvblair
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
No, I think u should keep it up :p He might end up with a triple double in his next game :D
(U should be happy. I mean the guy does play for ur team and his constant support is required :) . I wish Lebron can average 41 points for the whole season but it's better seeing the other Cavs take their playing level up to a another notch (that's if they ever want to advance well into the playoffs at the end of the season). Oh, I'm extremely happy with Varejao. I'm just disappointed in my own ability to judge players. :D

rikhardur
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Nenê is playing his best: 21 pts + 6 rebs + 3 blocks as the Nuggets beat the Bulls.

mvblair
12-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Nene had 17 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks against the Houston Rockets and the NBA's best center, Yao Ming. Denver won the game. Nene is averaging 15 points, 10 rebounds this year. More importantly, he's making almost 63% of his shots.

This is by far the best start to a season that Nene has had. Yes, he still could have major injury problems, like in the past, but if he stays healthy, he'll be a big advantage when Denver makes the play-offs. I guess that losing Camby was good for Nene.

mvblair
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Every game, Varejão gets a couple of "put back" points and some good rebounds, but he also takes a shot or two that make me sick.
Varejao had a monster game against Indiana. He made some fantastic jump-shots from both corners of the court. Absolutely great for the Cavs!

Cavaliers pound Pacers 97-73 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Akrd04uPLvz4jlrFsATNYmwMPaB4?gid=200812 0505&prov=ap) - by Tom Withers, AP, December 5, 2008

...With thousands of Cleveland fans wearing curly, red-headed wigs in his honor, Anderson Varejao didn’t miss a shot and scored 17 points in the first half as the defensive-minded Cavaliers, despite getting a season-low 11 points from LeBron James, won their seventh straight, 97-73 over Indiana on Friday night....
And last night Barbosa had 25 points in 30 minutes for the Suns, who beat Utah by two points.

Charbel Sakr
12-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Oh, I'm extremely happy with Varejao. I'm just disappointed in my own ability to judge players. :D

hahah its ok, no one can possibly be right abt all players all the time

jugoplastika
12-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Nene vs Rockets: 10 pts + 7 rebs(6 off.) while shooting 5-14 in 35 minutes on the court. Nuggets lost 108-96.

Nene Hilario dunking on Yao Ming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3dMvP2hnQ&feature=related

Barbosa had 10 pts + 5 rebs + 3 as (18 minutes) in a loss vs TrailBlazers 124-119.

rikhardur
01-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Nenê led the Nuggets with 21 pts + 7 rebs + 3 assists + 1 steal + 1 block to beat the Raptors.

rikhardur
01-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Varejão led the Cavaliers to beat the Bulls and set a new score career-high with 26 points, adding 8 rebounds and 3 steals.
Someone scored more points than LeBron :eek: :D

Nenê had another big night with 27 pts (10-11 FG), 14 rebs and 4 assists as the Nuggets beat the Thunder.

mvblair
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Someone scored more points than LeBron :eek: :D Yeah, Varejao has really proved me wrong when I said he wouldn't improve much this year. He's doing a fantastic job for Cleveland and he's really picking up when Big Z is out. It's wonderful because his production comes without dominating the ball.

Khalid80
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Congrats for Nene from now on his marriage to the gorgeous Lauren Prothe on February 14. How romantic :D

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/nene-savor-time-life/

rikhardur
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Nenê matched his career-high with 28 points, adding 9 rebounds and 4 steals as the Nuggets beat the Jazz.

Khalid80
01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Nenê matched his career-high with 28 points, adding 9 rebounds and 4 steals as the Nuggets beat the Jazz.

Nene truly is a warrior. For someone to come back after suffering from cancer and proving himself amongst the elite of players again with such stats is really amazing.
I think Nene now has a different perspective on how he sees things and he appreciates everything in life much more. Moreover his life is emotionally stable and with such a hot chick as Lauren Prothe on his side whom he's going to get married to next month, he sure has all the support he's going to need ;)
(reminds me of Marko Jaric when he first started dating Adriana Lima, where he was having a career season :D)

Charbel Sakr
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
If the Brazillian Federation can get Barbosa, Nene and Varejao to the NT plus splitter, alex..... they can surely make some noise in this year's FIBA americas

mvblair
01-27-2009, 04:03 PM
If the Brazillian Federation can get Barbosa, Nene and Varejao to the NT plus splitter, alex..... they can surely make some noise in this year's FIBA americasAbsolutely. As far as talent goes, Brazil is right with Argentina. The problem is that the players just haven't been very interested.

¹²³
01-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Absolutely. As far as talent goes, Brazil is right with Argentina. The problem is that the players just haven't been very interested.

It's somewhat motivated by the players relationship with the national confederation (CBB). The current president is there for over 12 years now and everyone is crying for some change. There will be a new election in may this year, let's hope Gerasime Bozikis (Grego) gets dethroned and Brazil''s national team will have a better organization.

I won't take the responsibilities completly away from the players. They should put their country above all and play for the national team. Anyway, this are rough times to be a basketball player in Brazil, but things are slowly changing and I see a very bright future ahead.

Charbel Sakr
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Absolutely. As far as talent goes, Brazil is right with Argentina. The problem is that the players just haven't been very interested.

ya if not better even!

mvblair
02-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Phoenix lost the game against Chicago, but Barbosa had another fantastic night. 32 points in 32 minutes.

jugoplastika
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
As nba.com says, fun and gun is back! It's beacause of new coach Gentry.
Phoenix beat desperate LA Clippers 140-100.

Leandrinho Barbosa scored 24pts (FG 9-12, 3PT 3-4) + 7rebs + 5as + 5stl in less than 28 minutes!

mvblair
02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
As nba.com says, fun and gun is back! It's beacause of new coach Gentry.
Phoenix beat desperate LA Clippers 140-100.

Leandrinho Barbosa scored 24pts (FG 9-12, 3PT 3-4) + 7rebs + 5as + 5stl in less than 28 minutes!That's great!! Barbosa is like a little rabbit on the court. He's so quick. It'll be a delight to watch Phoenix play like this again.

¹²³
02-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Great game for Leandro, he sure understands the run and gun style of basketball.

¹²³
02-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Denver 54 Chicago 54 - Half Time

Nenê with 17 points in a 8-10 from the field.

Let's see how he will end this game.

mvblair
02-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Denver 54 Chicago 54 - Half Time

Nenê with 17 points in a 8-10 from the field.

Let's see how he will end this game.
Looks like he only scored 19 points for the whole game. He went 1-7 in the second half. :mad: Usually when that happens, it means that the other team (Chicago) completely changed their defense while the first team (Denver) continued trying to do the same old thing. Unfortunate. But still, that's not a bad game for Nene!

mvblair
02-21-2009, 05:50 AM
But Brazil's other Western Conference player had a better night!!!

Barbosa’s 41 lead Suns past Thunder, 140-118 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009022021) - February 20, 2009, by Bob Baum, AP

Leandro Barbosa started in place of injured Amare Stoudemire and scored a career-high 41 points Friday night to lead the Phoenix Suns to a 140-118 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder...

Barbosa moved into the starting lineup after Stoudemire underwent surgery Friday to repair a partially torn retina in his right eye.

The speedy Suns guard also had seven assists and tied his career best with six steals...

Gentry decided to go small with the All-Star power forward out, inserting Barbosa at guard, shifting Richardson to small forward and Grant Hill as the starting power forward.

Barbosa made 16 of 21 shots, 5-of-6 in the fourth quarter. He was 5-of-7 on 3-pointers...

¹²³
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Not good news for Nenê.

Nuggets F Nene out two weeks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgYlKUYsSqe6j4est_m0SuR70bYF?slug=txnugg etsnene&prov=st&type=lgns)

DENVER (TICKER) —Denver Nuggets center Nene is expected to miss at least two weeks with a right knee contusion.

The news was announced after Monday’s 114-76 loss to Boston - the Nuggets’ second-worst home loss in 33 years.

An MRI did not reveal any structural damage and confirmed the team’s original diagnosis of a bone bruise.

The Brazilian suffered the injury in the final minute of Sunday’s contest in Milwaukee when he banged knees with Bucks forward Richard Jefferson. Nene, who had 17 points and seven rebounds in 33 minutes before leaving.

Nene is Denver’s fourth-leading scorer, averaging 14.9 points and a team-high 7.9 rebounds in 55 games this season.

Johan Petro started in place of Nene on Monday, registering nine points and 10 rebounds in 21 minutes.

“The one big plus is he shows he has the skills to be on an NBA court,” Nuggets coach George Karl said.

mvblair
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a pretty bad bruise. That hurts considering his knee problems in the past, but Denver should be able to survive two weeks without the big man. Look at Boston without KG right now!

¹²³
03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Statiscally speaking, not a great night for Anderson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AubCCfniA6s5fbxhQo6_V9C8vLYF?gid=200 9030405) and Leandro (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Avb9aH9Xg_MUoWrOPudgoDe8vLYF?gid=200 9030414).

¹²³
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Suns' Leandro Barbosa out 1-3 weeks (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=529299)

Suns guard Leandro Barbosa will miss one to three weeks with a bone contusion in his left knee, according to the Arizona Republic.

Barbosa suffered the injury during Wednesday night's game against the Philadelphia 76ers. Wednesday's X-ray exam was negative and the guard also underwent an MRI.

Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said Barbosa did not suffer any ligament damage but the MRI did show a bone contusion, the newspaper reported.

Barbosa is averaging 14.3 points and 2.4 assists this season.

Johnny21
03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Leandro Barbosa everytime injury xD

jugoplastika
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Nene fires back, calls Amundson “stupid”
Mar. 29, 2009
By Chris Tomasson

Nuggets center Nene has fired back at Louis Amundson.

Four days after Amundson, a Phoenix forward, referred to Nene as a “dirty player’’ and a “fake tough guy,’’ Nene had his say. He called Amundson a “stupid dude’’ and a “nobody,’’ and said a real blow to Amundson would have resulted in a “break all of his face.’’

It all started last Monday when Nene head butted Amundson midway through the fourth quarter of Denver’s 118-115 loss at Phoenix. Nene then banged into Amundson’s chest and elbowed him, and was whistled for a flagrant foul 2, an automatic ejection.

On Wednesday, Nene was suspended two games from the NBA, which cited the head butt and Nene bumping official Bill Spooner following his ejection. That was a day after Amundson, a graduate of Louisville’s Monarch High School, had blasted Nene in an interview with InDenver Times.

Nene returned to the lineup for Saturday’s 129-116 win over Golden State. In an interview after the game with InDenver Times, he said he learned from his suspension, but still took several shots at Amundson.

“You learn that you don’t let a stupid dude take you out of the game because he’s nobody,’’ said Nene, an upper-echelon NBA center while Amundson is a role player. “He doesn’t have much (game). He just goes over there and tries to get a contract.

“Coach (George Karl) told me I’ve got to be in more control. I just said, “George, I know have a lot of control. But I now learning even more patience.’’’

While the NBA described what Nene did as a head butt, Nene disagreed with that terminology.

“That was no head butt,’’ Nene said. “That is nothing… If I do a head butt, I break all of his face. That was nothing.’’

Nene insisted he wasn’t bothered by what Amundson said about him.

“I don’t care,’’ said Nene, who had eight points and seven rebounds in 24 minutes Saturday. “Who’s him? His comments don’t make any effect on me.’’

But Nene does care about his teammates. After the Nuggets lost to the Suns, Nene apologized to all of them because of his ejection.

“He came to us like a man and said he was sorry that he couldn’t be in the game,’’ said guard Anthony Carter. “He came up to each guy… when we were coming into the locker room. He was saying to everybody coming into the locker room, ‘My fault. My fault.’’’

The Nuggets did win games Wednesday at New Orleans and Friday at Dallas with Nene suspended. But Nene wondered if they might also have beaten Phoenix had he not been tossed.

“Definitely apologized,’’ Nene said of what he said to his teammates. “If I’m in there (against the Suns), maybe we can win the game.’’

Despite some remorse, that didn’t mean Nene agreed with the two-game penalty. He said he immediately appealed the suspension through the NBA Players Association.

Obviously, Nene can’t get his missed games back. But Nene, who lost $176,000 of his $9.68 million seasonal salary because of the suspension, said he’s trying to recoup money.

“Everybody agreed,’’ Nene said. “I talked to the coach, I talked to management. Everybody’s agreed that (the suspension was) not fair.’’

Still, Karl hopes Nene learned a lesson.

“I’m sure there’s a frustration to what happened, but I think now it’s for him to learn from it,’’ Karl said. “He’s got to value his individual frustration versus the team need and that’s something that’s very hard to do. I think he went with the individual frustration over the team need.

“We survived and fortunately won two of three games. But I’m not going to sit here and say we’re a better team without Nene. I think Nene would have helped us in the Phoenix game and he would have helped us in the two wins we got.’’

At least Nene was able to help the Nuggets on Saturday, opening the game with a thunderous slam dunk as if to signal his return.

With the Nuggets winning big in the second half, Karl kept Nene’s minutes down. That was fine with the big center, who admitted he got tired in his return.

“It feels hard to run,’’ Nene told reporters after the game. “Altitude here, it made my chest winded… I feel great to be back on the court… It’s hard to come back here after a couple days off.. My legs are fresh, but the altitude kills me. Not only me, but other players, too.’’

But it sure was a lot better than having watched Denver’s past two games in hotel rooms.

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/03/29/nene-fires-back-calls-amundson-stupid/

Khalid80
03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
If Nene wants to learn the proper technique for headbutting he should pay a visit to Zeineddine Zidane :D

mvblair
04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Nene with 17 points, 10 rebounds in a loss to Pau Gasol and the Lakers. Nene is averaging 15 points and 8 rebounds while shooting 60% from the field this year.

¹²³
04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Nene and Varejão are helping their teams a lot this season. This should be a great moment for both of them in the playoffs.

¹²³
05-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Nene and Varejão are helping their teams a lot this season. This should be a great moment for both of them in the playoffs.

Both are doing pretty well. But Nene is really surprising me.

From InterBasket's twitter account:

Nene pounding the Mavs' interior. In Denver's two wins over Dallas, Nene is averaging 24.5 pts, 5.5 rebs and has hit 17-25 shots (68%)...

rikhardur
05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Nenê Hilário and Anderson Varejão, two Brazilian giants in the NBA (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acb.com%2Fredaccion.php%3Fid%3D 58050&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=).

Coach H
05-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Until have 2 players.

And Nene was great yesterday !

¹²³
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Nene and Anderson lost in the Conference Finals, but congrats to both for this great season.