Malaysia:Malaysia National Team
    China:Zhongshan City,Guangdong Province Basketball

July 24
    Malaysia 65-63 USA
    Philippines 91-80 China

July 25
    3/4 Places: USA 84-76 China
    Finals: Philippines 93-70 Malaysia
    Last edited by Kings; 09-05-2006, 01:18 PM.

where is this tournament held? and can we have the rosters? wow i didnt know this...
    You've got to have it to win it

Comment

Originally posted by bognut
      where is this tournament held? and can we have the rosters? wow i didnt know this...
      Then I'll bet this is not the Philippines NT...I believe the teams are the same as in the Super Kung Seung Tournament, except for the home team Zhongshan City, in Guangdong province. The city usually organizes its own team.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Absolutely, it's NOT the Philippine NT!

And yes it's the same team that played in the Super Kung Seung Tourney, Air21. Air21 is a team from the Philippine Basketball Association. Beefed up by some members of the Phil. NT whenever there's a need. Plus some amateurs or PBA aspirants that are needed to be trained for possible stint in international competitions in the future.

The original Phil. NT that was organized by the PBA for 2006 International competitions supposedly is this line-up.

Danny Seigle (198-F/G-76) of San Miguel Beer
        Paulasi Taulava (206-C-73) of Talk N Text Phone Pals
        Enrico Villanueva (196-C-80) of Red Bull Barako
        Eric Menk (199-F-74) of Barangay Ginebra Kings
        Donaldo Hontiveros (188-G-77) of San Miguel Beer
        Renren Ritualo (188-G) of Talk N Text Phone Pals
        Nic Belasco (198-F-73) of Alaska Aces
        Mark Caguioa (188-G-79) of Barangay Ginebra Kings
        Rafi Reavis (203-C-77) of Coca-Cola Tigers
        Jimmy Alapag (178-G-77) of Talk N Text Phone Pals
        Anthony Helterbrand (183-G-76) of Barangay Ginebra Kings
        Anthony Dela Cruz (193-F-79) of Alaska Aces
        Kelly Williams (196-F) of Magnolia Ice Cream
        Rommel Adducul (198-C-76) of Barangay Ginebra Kings
        Joachim Thoss (203-C-81) of Alaska Aces
        Kerby Raymundo (200-C-80) of Purefoods Chunkee Giants
        Willie Miller (178-G) of Alaska Aces
        Jean Marc Pingris (195-C-81) of Purefoods Chunkee Giants

Head Coach: Chot Reyes

However, KG Canaleta, Yancy and Ranidel de Ocampo of Air21 are being considered for the Phil. NT because of their performance abroad.

(Kindly compare this Philippine NT line-up from Air21 team in the older posts. Tnx!)

DimeDropper||"Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true."||
        Last edited by DimeDropper; 07-25-2006, 05:03 AM.
        FOR FLAG AND COUNTRY!!!

Comment

Hi, I didn't know the Phil. NT was already formed. Or are you refering to the National Training Pool? And, correct me if I am mistaken, I don't think Pingris is in the National training pool. But given the improvement that he has I think he should be included.

good day!

Comment

Originally posted by ctongco
            correct me if I am mistaken, I don't think Pingris is in the National training pool. But given the improvement that he has I think he should be included.

good day!
            yep he is included now. coach chot considers him in the upcoming tournament in Qatar. he improved in the system of PF... allowed him to be the power forward that he is... at the same time be athletic... in Air 21 he just couldnt fit... with ranidel, canaleta, and other big man air 21 had those time...

he should play "power" small forward.... a hustling SF... with Pena and Pennisi. miller and Tenorio...

Comment

Originally posted by Kings
              USA:Southern California Fujian Americans
              Philippines:Philippines National Team
              Malaysia:Malaysia National Team
              China:Zhongshan City,Guangdong Province Basketball

July 24
              Malaysia 65-63 USA
              Philippines 91-80 China

July 25
              3/4 Places
              USA VS China

Finals
              Philippines VS Malaysia
              woah Malaysia defeated a USA squad? does malaysia has 5 imports? or USA's composed of kids?

so RP is represented by Air21 i think... nice. China is a club team also i suppose...

best of luck to RP against Malaysia w imports??...

Comment

Don't underestimate Malaysia, they've improved a lot in the last couple of years -- I say they're now good enough to upset even a PBL selection, maybe even a PBA club team.

Last year, Air21 beat them by 27 points. They placed dead last at the 2005 Asian Championships. But they've kept the same team (including the coach) intact and now they're starting to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

The USA team they beat in Zhongshan is the same Asian-American team that was recently crowned champions at the Super Kung Sheung Cup here in Hong Kong. This USA team is certainly no pushovers.

I've seen a couple of Malaysia's games and I'm quite impressed by their ball movement and outside shooting. They look like some sort of a "mini-Korean" team minus a dominant big man and pure slashers.

Size is even more of an issue for them than RP, as most of their centers are only between 6'4 and 6'5 and kinda lean.

Comment

The center of Malaysian team (with dyed hair) Chee Li Wei plays for Huaqiao University in China's CUBA (Chinese University Bbball Assoc). The university was in the CUBA final every single year despite like over 100 teams attending. A main reason is Huaqiao (literary meaning: oversea Chinese) uses national team players from Malaysia, Hong Kong etc. while other teams are not allowed to use any semi-pro players.

The Zhongshan team is not the Guangdong summer league team, although the city is in Guangdong province. It participated in last year's Super Kung Seung Tournament, with a couple washed up CBA veterans to assist them.
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Thanks for the update Sino!

Philippines won a championship at last! Even for a minor tournament.

DimeDropper||"Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true."||
                    FOR FLAG AND COUNTRY!!!

Comment

Malaysia Guganeswaran Photos

China CUBA

Malaysia NBL

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information