hosting of FIBA-Asia tournaments should be fair and not monopolized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hosting of FIBA-Asia tournaments should be fair and not monopolized

I do not agree with what the lebanese official said that china and japan will be given priority to host the next fiba-asia tournament due to marketing considerations. While that is a valid consideration since they have big populations, both countries have recently hosted fiba tournaments so for them to host more fiba tournaments smacks of monopolism. They are trying to corner the hosting of fiba tournaments. The hosting of FIBA tournaments should be given to other countries such as the Philippines for as long as the country has adequate facilities, and definitely, in the case of the Philippines we have basketball facilities everywhere. The SBP should not let this lebanese official fool them and the SBP should pull out all the stops to host the FIBA-Asia tournament. The hosting of FIBA-Asia tournaments should be fair and not monopolized . Justice for all !

SBP softens stand on BAP
    By Joaquin Henson
    Friday, September 12, 2008

At its inception, the POC-recognized NSA for basketball was called the BAP-Samahang Basketbol Ng Pilipinas as a conciliatory gesture to the defunct Basketball Association of the Philippines.

Eventually, the reference to the BAP was dropped because it became irrelevant and now, the NSA is known only as the SBP, the country’s sole FIBA affiliate. But remnants of the BAP leadership refused to fade away, resorting to a smear campaign to discredit the SBP in what was perceived to be a losing cause.

In a change of heart, SBP executive director Noli Eala yesterday opened the door for the BAP to join as a regular member.

Eala said he spoke to FIBA secretary-general Patrick Baumann during the recent Beijing Olympics and mentioned he would reach out to the BAP.

“The SBP is strong in the elite program while the BAP could use its old network for grassroots development,” said Eala.

However, Eala said the BAP must recognize the SBP leadership as a condition for its acceptance into the fold.

“We are open to the idea of working with the BAP,” he said. “But the BAP must recognize the leadership of Mr. (Manny) Pangilinan as president. I see no problem working with the BAP. We will treat the BAP just like any SBP member, league or association. But we will not tolerate the BAP trying to usurp the SBP’s authority.”

While in Tehran for the recent under-18 Youth Championships, Eala conferred with FIBA-Asia deputy secretary-general Hagop Khajirian of Lebanon on the possibility of Manila hosting the 2011 men’s tournament, which will be the regional qualifier for the London Olympics.

“Mr. Khajirian welcomed our offer,” said Eala. “However, I was told the preference is for China or Japan to host in 2009 or 2011 because of marketing considerations. If China declines to host in 2009, it will be given priority to host in 2011.”

Eala said the Olympic basketball format in London may change, pending IOC approval at the Copenhagen congress next year.

In Beijing, only 12 countries participated in basketball with Iran representing Asia as China had a guaranteed ticket as host nation. In London, FIBA is proposing to expand the field to 16 countries with a limit of 10 players per team instead of 12. There is also a plan to merge Asia and Oceania under a common zone with three Olympic slots. At present, Asia and Oceania are allocated one spot each.

Australia is the perennial Olympic basketball entry for Oceania, leaving out New Zealand. If Asia and Oceania are merged for three spots, Australia and New Zealand could qualify together.

Eala also bared plans of organizing a National Team management group, similar to the USA Basketball model, to lay the groundwork for representation in international competitions.

The management group will be headed by Bernie Atienza, concurrently SBP chairman of the competition committee. Members will be two from the pro sector, three from the collegiate sector (NCAA, UAAP and CESAFI), two from the amateur commercial sector (PBL, Liga), two national coaches (Chot Reyes, Norman Black), two coaches (Yayoy Alcoseba will be one) and Eala as executive director.

Eala said a national pool will be assembled soon and a team formed to play at the Haarlem invitationals in Amsterdam in December. Angola and Holland will participate in the tournament.

Eala said starting next month, the SBP will undertake a roadshow for its members all over the country.

“We’re going around to touch base with our members and strengthen our network,” he said. “We’ll promote our programs and establish a one-stop shop, like an express lane, for leagues to become SBP membWe’re consolidating the efforts of all the basketball stakeholders under one roof to make sure we cover every league, group and association.”

Eala said the creation of the Regulatory and Standards Committee under Moying Martelino will address issues of officiating, playing and coaching. In the referees program, Eala said the goal is to increase the country’s roster of international referees from five to 10 or 15.

“We are closely coordinating with FIBA in our referees program,” said Eala. “That’s why we’re bringing in Mr. (Lubomir) Kotleba and Col. (Lee (Kak Kuan) next week to conduct a referees seminar.” Kotleba of the Slovak Republic is the FIBA sports director while Col. Lee of Korea is the FIBA-Asia technical director.

Eala said recruiting a foreign coach and a naturalized player for the national team is under consideration. Candidates for foreign coach include Rajko Toroman and Vlade Djorovic of Serbia, Bernardo Murphy of Argentina, Alan Richardson of England, former PBA import Andy Fields and Jonas Kazlauskas and Rimas Kurtinaitis of Lithuania.

“We’re looking at a foreign coach who is a mentor-type,” said Eala. “He must be willing to relocate and develop and train our young players for international competition.”

Eala said the SBP is exploring all options to put the country back on track as a basketball power in Asia.
    =========================================
    Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

In regards with monopolization, Chinese or Japanese officials have the strongest ties with the FIBA-Asia administration and they are good in lobbying too.

Comment

Could you provide the link to the source?

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfLeyte
        In regards with monopolization, Chinese or Japanese officials have the strongest ties with the FIBA-Asia administration and they are good in lobbying too.
        Agree, they have more influential lobbyists in the FIBA heirarchy and apparently we have none. - a case of "Palakasan" in Philippine vernacular.

China and Japan both having huge financial resources to stage an international event with newer world-class basketball facilities and these two nations experience in hosting a successful olympic games were a testament to their competence. The Philippines by comparison has the old reliable Araneta Coliseum to show, however competence is not a question - unless we have one that I don't know of, besides the big dome.

I think, that's what favored them most, having newer world class facilities.
        Last edited by dreamwalker; 09-11-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctongco
          Could you provide the link to the source?
          Its this one sir

Digital portal of the STAR Group of Publications: Delivers the latest news and views, multimedia, analyses and in-depth reports on the Philippines, sports, business, entertainment, lifestyle and culture.

Comment

guys this hagop is nothing but a stupid person who's in love with all countries except lebanon...i don't think of him as lebanese bc he didn't contribute anything to his country and always opposed good ideas...i'm with u about the fact that china and japan shouldn't be hosting the 2009 fiba asia championship but i also don't agree that the philippine should host the championship.....i think uae is the best choice for us bc we have big fans there as well as there is a big filipino community there...this is my opinion and this what i think is fair
            Last edited by zouz; 09-12-2008, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Hi Zouz,

ahaha , the philippines has a basketball official who is like hagop. his name is graham lim, a very naughty guy .Thanks for clarifying about mr hagop.

Originally posted by zouz
              guys this hagop is nothing but a stupid person who's in love with all countries except lebanon...i don't think of him as lebanese bc he didn't contribute anything to his country and always opposed good ideas...i'm with u about the fact that china and japan shouldn't be hosting the 2009 fiba asia championship but i also don't agree that the philippine should host the championship.....i think uae is the best choice for us bc we have big fans there as well as there is a big filipino community there...this is my opinion and this what i think is fair
              Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

hey rikhardur should we move this thread to the asian leagues section? i bet we can have discussion with our asian brothers outthere [True. Done.]
                Last edited by rikhardur; 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM.
                you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
                  Agree, they have more influential lobbyists in the FIBA heirarchy and apparently we have none. - a case of "Palakasan" in Philippine vernacular.

China and Japan both having huge financial resources to stage an international event with newer world-class basketball facilities and these two nations experience in hosting a successful olympic games were a testament to their competence. The Philippines by comparison has the old reliable Araneta Coliseum to show, however competence is not a question - unless we have one that I don't know of, besides the big dome.

I think, that's what favored them most, having newer world class facilities.
                  Its not a question of facilities..heck, araneta is at par with the best of them. it's rather a question of money, money and more money... or how much milk can FIBA squueze off the host country's udder.

Remember, the FIBA official was quoted "China or Japan has more favorable marketing potential" which literally means, more money from bigtime sponsors (by sponsor, im not talking about Smart, PLDT or Globe but worldwide brandnames like Nike, Sony, Samsung etc)..and the bigger the money these sponsors burn to pimp their products, the bigger piece of the pie FIBA gets.

it's sad we cant have these brandnames to sponsor a Philippine organized event because, let's face it, we're a third world country and our buying power is peanuts compared to China with its 1 billion consumer market, or Japan with its wealthy consumers...and remember this not the FIFA football world cup or even the FIFA Euro cup where country borders are meaningless..cross country consumerism is still in infancy in this part of the world.l
                  <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredJordanStopper
                    Its not a question of facilities..heck, araneta is at par with the best of them. it's rather a question of money, money and more money... or how much milk can FIBA squueze off the host country's udder.

Remember, the FIBA official was quoted "China or Japan has more favorable marketing potential" which literally means, more money from bigtime sponsors (by sponsor, im not talking about Smart, PLDT or Globe but worldwide brandnames like Nike, Sony, Samsung etc)..and the bigger the money these sponsors burn to pimp their products, the bigger piece of the pie FIBA gets.

it's sad we cant have these brandnames to sponsor a Philippine organized event because, let's face it, we're a third world country and our buying power is peanuts compared to China with its 1 billion consumer market, or Japan with its wealthy consumers...and remember this not the FIFA football world cup or even the FIFA Euro cup where country borders are meaningless..cross country consumerism is still in infancy in this part of the world.l
                    In HDI standards, we are second world.
                    GILAS WISHLIST:
                    6'8 Pingris

Comment

Fuck You Mr Hagop.Go to the hell you and ur masters in this fiba asia !!!!

Im really wondering why always Iran,chind and japan take everything !!!!! and iran with all due respect dont deserve !
                      Proud to be Lebanese
                      www.arabasket.com

Comment

Hi Daniab,

so Hagop is not doing good things for lebanese basketball then just like what Zouz said. do lebanese newspapers also think hagop is bad news? I agree with you Iran also monopolize fiba tournaments hmmmmm

Originally posted by daniab
                        Fuck You Mr Hagop.Go to the hell you and ur masters in this fiba asia !!!!

Im really wondering why always Iran,chind and japan take everything !!!!! and iran with all due respect dont deserve !

Comment

Originally posted by pachador
                          Hi Daniab,

so Hagop is not doing good things for lebanese basketball then just like what Zouz said. do lebanese newspapers also think hagop is bad news? I agree with you Iran also monopolize fiba tournaments hmmmmm
                          hagop is lebanese only by the name,the guy sucks.He worked hard against lebanon in the past,now and i think in the future.
                          The guy put all his efforts against our U18 NT in the asian tournament,he didnt helped us to organize any tournament since 2005 and lebanon btw all the west asian countries is the best as for basketball organization !
                          Proud to be Lebanese
                          www.arabasket.com

Comment

Originally posted by pachador
                            As long as Hagop is the FIBA-Asia deputy secretary-general, Lebanon will never get the chance to host a tournament in Asia or get any support from Fiba-Asia like they should since this guy works by himself and does whatever he wants without giving a damn about his country. I never saw him once do anything for the interest or benefit of Lebanese basketball.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information