PDA

View Full Version : Early Editions: Possible 2012 Men's basketball roster

Alex07
08-25-2008, 10:43 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/1c/fullj.560e7a1472425e4e04957b355d75f1c8/560e7a1472425e4e04957b355d75f1c8-getty-81972795bc264_day16.jpg

better start early..this would be my USA roster for the next Olympics:

http://www.nba.com/media/magic/howard_200_041015.jpg

Dwight Howard 6'11 (center)-USA's veteran Olympic center.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050621/050621_grefOden_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

Greg Oden 7'0 (center)-Hopefully he'll be healthy by that time.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/lang_whitaker/03/12/the.links/p1_durant.jpg

Kevin Durant 6'10 (forward)-I think the guy plays a lot like Tashaun Prince but with more displays of offensive skills.

http://www.724sports.com/news/i/pix/james_lebron_usa.jpg

Lebron James 6'8(forward/guard)-no brainer choice.

http://www.usabasketball.com/images/2006/chris-paul.jpg

Chris Paul 6'3(guard)-he'll torch the opposition's point guards.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/03/24/floridax.jpg

Al Horford 6'10(forward/center)-He's showing some promise.Hopefully he chooses to play for the US.

http://www.celebirony.com/foto/sportivi/Carmelo_Anthony/carmelo_anthony_grande2.jpg

Carmelo Anthony 6'9(forward)-another Olympic veteran.Would be another no brainer pick.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news/body_image/picture_body_509.jpg

Michael Beasley 6'10(forward)-a huge potential in the NBA.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/2007/12/22/op59-12620.jpg

Derrick Rose 6'3(guard)-08' NBA's top pick.

http://www.azcentral.com/i/sized/0/9/7/e298/j350/PHP486FAD914A790.jpg

Brandon Jennings 6'2(guard)-one of the top oncoming freshmen in the NCAA.I think he will be playing for the Arizona Wildcats.

http://www.trojanwire.com/images/oj-mayo-3.jpg

OJ Mayo 6'4(guard)-another exciting player to watch for in the NBA.

http://www.jazzbots.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/deron-waits.jpg

Derron Williams 6'3(guard)-another veteran.Will be NBA's top point guards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39922000/jpg/_39922168_basketball_300.jpg

Amare Stoudamire 6'10(center/forward)-If he would stay out of injuries..Al Horford can play for Dominican Republic(sorry my bad)..this would be my guy.

My US Select roster

Centers

Dwight Howard 6'11
Greg Oden 7'0
Al Horford 6'10
Amare Stoudamire 6'10

Forwards

Kevin Durant 6'10
Lebron James 6'8
Carmelo Anthony 6'9
Michael Beasley 6'10

Guards

Chris Paul 6'3
Derrick Rose 6'3
Brandon Jennings 6'2
OJ Mayo 6'4
Derron Williams 6'3

bigyellow
08-25-2008, 11:07 AM
are you serious man? this is BS
Al Horford is playing for the Dominican Republic
Durant is not even close to be like prince.although the fact he is 6'9 he is a shooting guard.
Jennigns will play in Europe next year and wont go the NCAA...

damelo
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, i think USA shall keep the same roster for as long as possible. It seems at least Lebron, Carmelo and Wade will stay, and enjoy those tournaments, let's hope Kobe, too, and Dwight also. The others are prospects yet, we will see. But, US teams is the hardest to determine considering the deepness of USA basketball talents.

ps: Rubio in the future will be able to beat any US PG, he already was at 17 this year... behind the back dribbles, etc...

Terps54321
08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Durant will definitely be there. Here's a Chris Sheridan article (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=DreamRedeem-080825) where he compares the Redeem Team to the Dream Team discusses 2010 and 2012 a bit.

Unimane
08-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Rubio is very good, but there are plenty of guards in the US that will have just as much talent. Many of them can dribble behind their backs, too.

Decent team. However, Durant is not Tayshaun Prince. Better offensively, much worse defensively.

I'm not sure I'd want Mayo, he might be trouble with his attitude. He and Rose, though, would make for a very imposing combo-guard duo. I'm sure they'd probably play point guard and, after the Iverson deal of 2004, I'm not sure I'd want scoring PGs for this type of team.

Beasley seems to be perfect for the international game with his inside-outside play and I'd love to have a PF that owns the boards. Oden is your traditional low post player and I wonder how he would do in the international game.

I'm also curious as to how the changes in the rules of the international game change the nature of the game. It might determine the best type of team.

RuleBook
08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
ps: Rubio in the future will be able to beat any US PG, he already was at 17 this year... behind the back dribbles, etc...

stop being a homer:rolleyes:

as for the original topic, its hard to project some of these players (for example, i'm not the jennings fan that a lot of other people are)...horford won't be a US natl team member..but here are the general group of players i'd also want looked at when making the team besides the ones mentioned:

kevin martin, tyson chandler, brandon roy (if he comes back well), jeff green, bynum, monta ellis, kevin love, Beasley, okafor, blake griffin, john wall, derozan,

RuleBook
08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure I'd want Mayo, he might be trouble with his attitude. He and Rose, though, would make for a very imposing combo-guard duo. I'm sure they'd probably play point guard and, after the Iverson deal of 2004, I'm not sure I'd want scoring PGs for this type of team.

agreed..and considering that neither of them have done anything in the nba yet, i'm honestly more intrigued with westbrook than with mayo (mayo is actually a year older than westbrook)

Dtown
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Bosh, Dwight, Kobe, Paul, and Williams have all expressed interest in this team, saying they would definitely agree if asked, but a lot can happen in four years.

Jennings playing in Europe for a couple years has nothing to do with whether he plays for Team USA or not especially when most thing he'll only be in Europe till he's eligible for the NBA.

Oden would be a good choice, provided he can stay healthy and the hype is justified....and provided he's not secretly 46 years old.

From there it becomes hard to pick I mean you got to remember the core of the Redeem team were drafted in just 04 or later. So you never know who's coming down the pipes.

bobo81
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
It's true we havnt seen some of these guys yet but the way Durant has been playing I wouldn't count him out...He has been great since his last games and scrimmages. I agree no more snotty little chilen on this team, so if Rose or Mayo pull a Startbury then forget it.

Russ
08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
If Oden is healthy, watch out world.

bobo81
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
^^ I was always looking for that reincarnate of Shaq and I have to say that he might be closer to that than Dwight Howard. I agree, if he stays healthy then uh oh...:D

achinet
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I think that the core of the Spanish NT will be the same:

Calderón
Rubio
Rudy
Navarro
Mumbrú
Pau (he will not be in the EC, but he will be in the next olympics)
Reyes
Marc

And the new ones could be:

Sergio Rodríguez (I hope he will play more during this 4 year in portland or out there, he has the potencial and skills) Instead Raul Lopez

San Emeterio (I don't understand why he wasn't in the olympics, he is a very good scorer and also defender) Instead Berni Rodríguez

Victor Claver (This guy is very talent, he can score, he can defend but he has to improve the leader role, he must take more protagonism when he plays) Instead Carlos Jimenez (he has anounced that he leaves the NT)

Edu Sonseca or Jory Trias or Fran Vazquez or Triguero or Germán Gabriel Instead Garbajosa (He will be a little old) That guys can't be as good as Garbo when we was helthy but they can be like todays Garbajosa.

And also there can be others if they grew up: Pau Ribas, Antelo, Pere Tomás, De La Fuente, Pablo Aguilar, Raya, etc

Russ
08-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bobo81
^^ I was always looking for that reincarnate of Shaq and I have to say that he might be closer to that than Dwight Howard. I agree, if he stays healthy then uh oh...

If he's healthy??? That's a big step at this point for a young man who has missed a lot of basketball with a wrist injury and a leg stress microfracture but if he can get past those kind of troubles he will really be something. Still, though, it's wait and see at this point with Oden.

If he does progress to a point where he has put physical problems behind him he will bring that extreme inside defensive presence that was largely missing from the '08 squad.

ricodgame
08-27-2008, 12:27 AM

I agree

BigMac
08-27-2008, 12:51 AM
If we play by FIBA rules leave Howard at home. Get a big man who has some moves and can shoot the ball long range. That's more like a LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Durant type. I'd bring Oden along because by then he should have eclipsed Howard. Bring back Chris Bosh. Guards should be CP3, Deron Williams, and Brandon Roy. Need some long range bombers too and that means Kapono, Novak or JJ. Leave the chucker Michael Redd at home.

Srle
08-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Overated. Clueless in offense.

Unimane
08-27-2008, 01:48 AM

Not overrated on defense, that's for sure. Besides, I'd wait to see what he can do in the NBA before saying anything one way or the other. He was able to physically dominate at Ohio St., but he'll have to develop an offensive game to succeed.

Russ
08-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Srle

Not sure why you would post this? Did you watch him play his one year in college?

He played offense 90% of his one collegiate season with his off hand and did well.

He shot .628 from the free throw line with his wrong hand.

15.7 ppg and 62% from the field with his wrong hand.

As he began to gain use of his shooting hand, which was never completely healed that season and always wrapped and braced, he was dominant. A big load on the block.

A superlative rebounder.

All I can say is he is one fierce competitor. A true game changer defensively. Think Bill Russell. That's his true comparison.

It's true, though. He has yet to have his overall weaknesses revealed (Not much of a hedge defender is one of them) by professional players. But he is a very smart young man with a fantastic work ethic and it won't take him long to figure it out. Offensively or defensively.

One for the ages this kid. If he stays healthy.

Just my opinion.

bobo81
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM

Injured his shooting hand, played a good number of games using his left hand and scoring double digits. :rolleyes: Never knew fade away hook shots with your opposite hand was easy. :D

KWSN-Men
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I think this thread is kinda useless. I mean, who's to know which players are going to be competitive in 4 years time, which will have declined, which will have bloomed and which will have had some major (or even minor) injury?

Nobody. We can't really be certain for the upcoming season, let alone next Olympics.

Czarkazem13
08-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I would say that Durant's game is much different from Princes. I also believe that Horford wants to play for the DR, if memory serves me right (like Joakim Noah wants to play for France).

As far as the roster goes, I believe they are going to call 30 players (for the next 4 years), here are a few I would like to see:

C - Dwight Howard
C - Greg Oden
C - BJ Mullens
F/C - Amare Stoudemire
F/C - Chris Bosh
C/F - Tyler Hansborough
C/F - Tyson Chandler
C/F - Kevin Love
C/F - Emeka Okafur
F - Carmelo Anthony
F - David Lee
F - Blake Griffin
F - Shane Battier
F - Rudy Gay
F - Kevin Durant
F - Michael Beasley
G/F - Lebron James
F/G - Chase Buddinger
G - Dwyane Wade
G - Chris Paul
G - Derrick Rose
G - Brandon Jennings
G - Kirk Hinrich
G - Demar DeRozan
G - Brandon Roy
G - Kevin Martin(?)
G - Monta Ellis
G - OJ Mayo
G - John Wall
G - Jordan Farmar (if Israel doesn't make a run...)

With Mike D'Antonio coaching (hopefully).

Czarkazem13
08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
I think this thread is kinda useless. I mean, who's to know which players are going to be competitive in 4 years time, which will have declined, which will have bloomed and which will have had some major (or even minor) injury?

Nobody. We can't really be certain for the upcoming season, let alone next Olympics.

Actually, the group (not 12 that will play) will be selected way before four years time. So I would say it isn't too early to speculate.

bobo81
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Actually, the group (not 12 that will play) will be selected way before four years time. So I would say it isn't too early to speculate.

We can possibly get the 2009 draftees in this though, cant we?

Khalid80
08-28-2008, 08:11 PM
The problem with choosing a roster from now for the next Olympics is that we can't predict the future of some of these rookies and other new comers. What if they turn out to be busts rather than superstars. (example: What if Oden seriously reinjures himself this season or in the upcoming seasons May God forbid. That would be really disappointing and the guy may never develop into that premiere center that everyone was hoping).
That's why I would prefer sticking to players that have been playing consistently or consistently improving over the last few years. I would keep the young players who played in these Olympics (Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Deron Williams) as the core team and then add players whom have developed and improved the most over the next 4 years as per the names mentioned from previous lists.

Big Lebowski
08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
The future 12 of Greece (London 2012)

Nikos Zisis, PG, 29 (age in 2012)
Nick Calathes, PG, 23
Dimitris Diamantidis, PG, 32
Dimitris Verginis, PG-SG, 25
Dimitris Mavrogiannis, SG-SF, 20
Stratos Perperoglou, SF, 28
Vladimir Jankovic, SF, 22
Antonis Fotsis, PF, 31
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos, SF-PF, 28
Giannis Mpourousis, PF-C, 29
Kosta Koufos, PF-C, 23
Zisis Sarikopoulos, C, 22

BigMac
08-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Nick Calathes, PG, 23
Antonis Fotsis, PF, 31
Kosta Koufos, PF-C, 23

What no Spanoulis? lol

KWSN-Men
08-29-2008, 02:14 PM

So this thread is actually about Team USA, right?

Big Lebowski
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
What no Spanoulis? lol
Very funny... really very funny!!!

Alex07
09-01-2008, 07:57 AM

It's not

hotjam_2
09-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Nick Calathes, PG, 23
Antonis Fotsis, PF, 31
Kosta Koufos, PF-C, 23

Actually Diamanditis had the biggest drop off, performance wise from 2006 to 2008. He led the 2006 WC tourney in steals. At Bejing, he was tied for 18th. Zisis did'nt look impressive at the Olympics either. Thats why I'm surprised Papaloukas or Spanoulis did'nt make this list, cuz of right now Fotsis is the only one that packs a scoring punch

robbe
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Actually Diamanditis had the biggest drop off, performance wise from 2006 to 2008.
He plays too many games, that's why he looks so tired. Hardly ever misses one and always plays the most minutes. His record in the last years reminds a bit of Karl Malone's in the nineties. Next year Eurobasket, then maybe world championship. Between that full seasons with PAO in three competitions again. That's why the whole summer including qualifcation tournament was not ideal.

KWSN-Men
09-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Actually, Diamantidis has lost one (1) game since his transfer to Panathinaikos, due to the flu.

He has actually not rested at all since 2003, playing with great intensity, especially in defence. And it is starting to show...

Czarkazem13
09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
We can possibly get the 2009 draftees in this though, cant we?

Yeah, I put some in mine. The original group chosen (the last three years) had two college guys (Durant - I believe and Oden), not too mention some recent graduates (Reddick and Morrison), however none of the made the rosters.

The problem with choosing a roster from now for the next Olympics is that we can't predict the future of some of these rookies and other new comers. What if they turn out to be busts rather than superstars. (example: What if Oden seriously reinjures himself this season or in the upcoming seasons May God forbid. That would be really disappointing and the guy may never develop into that premiere center that everyone was hoping).
That's why I would prefer sticking to players that have been playing consistently or consistently improving over the last few years. I would keep the young players who played in these Olympics (Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Deron Williams) as the core team and then add players whom have developed and improved the most over the next 4 years as per the names mentioned from previous lists.

That is why it is a very wide pool of players to choose from. As I mentioned above, there were many players selected that were never put on rosters (Nick Collison and Luke Ridnour also come to mind).

Lol, I thought. Maybe not. :D I thought it was in the U.S. section, but my bad. Either way, do to how Team USA is now selected, I could see how this is only pertinent to the U.S., since a wide pool of players are selected way ahead and later the final rosters are chosen.