PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the medal count for olympic basketball should be 5?

ctongco
08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Basketball is a team sport played with 2 teams where each team fields 5 players at a time. Given that there are more athletes/players since this is a team sport, would it not be right to increase the medal weight for team sports such as basketball? Since basketball plays 5 players at a time, should it have a weight of 5-medals? (Olympic champion has 5 more gold medals to his country's medal tally)

elaj
08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
NO, lol.

Ananasas
08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
No way man. Then soccer teams should receive 11 medals? You got to be joking...

jaja
08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
and why only the starters? what of the bench

Fedfan
08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
hahaha very funny.:D I suppose this is the only way for the Americans to finish first in the medal rankings??:p

Darthkiller
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
no, but they should maybe add in 3 point contest or things like that.

Lietuvis
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I guess the point here is someone like Phelps and swimming how one sport can get you 6 or 8 medals and yet basketball played over the duration only yields one.

Interesting point and I guess as I see its a little unfair on medals tallies. Sorry have no solution but I think it would be good to see some sort of evener as the best basketball athletes are as gold as Phelps imo.

elaj
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
no, but they should maybe add in 3 point contest or things like that.
Yes and dunking too, also an all star game and please, this can't be without TNT squad (Barkley is required!!!), maybe a cheerleader contest would fit too!!!

Get serious man, it's Olympic Games, not some Americanized show. :rolleyes:

JGX
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I guess the point here is someone like Phelps and swimming how one sport can get you 6 or 8 medals and yet basketball played over the duration only yields one.

Interesting point and I guess as I see its a little unfair on medals tallies. Sorry have no solution but I think it would be good to see some sort of evener as the best basketball athletes are as gold as Phelps imo.

Exactly...team sports are massively undervalued in the traditional medal count. It takes 12 great athletes to win a medal in basketball, only 1 to win a medal in an individual sport, why shouldn't basketball count for more?

Yes and dunking too, also an all star game and please, this can't be without TNT squad (Barkley is required!!!), maybe a cheerleader contest would fit too!!!

Didn't you see the all-star game in 2007? Barkley is training for the 100 meters.

Blinky
08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I have to admit that there is a certain logic behind your thought. There are some times when I think that it is so much more complicated for a basketball team to get a medal than a single athlete in another sport so it does sound a bit imbalanced that all this effort (organizing 12 people to work together and winning a whole tournament with a lot of luck involved) is the same as a single athlete in 100m running three times and getting his medal.

However, some would say that basketball along with several other sports should not even be in the Olympics list (hell, the original olympics were just track and field), and it's more or less an excuse to make another world tournament for the olympic summer. So 1 medal is fair the way I see it.

Khalid80
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
When I first read the thread, I thought it mentioned that there should be five different kind of medals. Now that would be cool!
1st place = Platinum Medal
2nd place = Gold Medal
3rd place = Silver Medal
4th place = Bronze Medal
5th place = Aluminum or Tin Medal :D

As for the medal count, it would be too complicated for teams like the US and China who would have a total medal count in the thousands :)

DanMajerle
08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Let's hope American Football never becomes Olympic. USA would win the medal ranking with one competition:D

Fedfan
08-20-2008, 11:10 AM

swimming butterfly needs different training than swimming breaststoke.Swimming 100 m needs different training than training for endurance competition like 1500 m.It seems here some people have no idea that swimming is more than mere floating on the water.And that competing in Olympic level means counting tiles for 6-9 hours EVERY day for YEARS.

:rolleyes:

Let's hope American Football never becomes Olympic. USA would win the medal ranking with one competition:D

haha :D
It's very ironic that only american sites put USA first in the medal ranking so far.:D

damelo
08-20-2008, 12:29 PM
swimming butterfly needs different training than swimming breaststoke.Swimming 100 m needs different training than training for endurance competition like 1500 m.It seems here some people have no idea that swimming is more than mere floating on the water.And that competing in Olympic level means counting tiles for 6-9 hours EVERY day for YEARS.

Still, one guy is able to train for all those races, and win them all. For team sports, one athlete can't get into handball and basketball competition. It's more in this way this is unfair. But, Olympic Games are not about those sports, which are quite mediatised, etc... but more about all those individual sports, less known, for which it is a great opportunity to shine.

americanplayers
08-20-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't agree with weighing the medals, but if beach volleyball is an olympic sport I'd love to see 3 on 3 or something

Dtown
08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
No, if you did it for Basketball you'd have to do it for every team sport.

Fedfan
08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Still, one guy is able to train for all those races, and win them all. For team sports, one athlete can't get into handball and basketball competition. It's more in this way this is unfair. But, Olympic Games are not about those sports, which are quite mediatised, etc... but more about all those individual sports, less known, for which it is a great opportunity to shine.

The guys who win medals in all different styles and distances are very few.That's why Phelps is such a phenomenon.It's like running 100 m and running a marathon.You think that they should get one medal?:rolleyes:

kestas
08-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Basketball is a team sport played with 2 teams where each team fields 5 players at a time. Given that there are more athletes/players since this is a team sport, would it not be right to increase the medal weight for team sports such as basketball? Since basketball plays 5 players at a time, should it have a weight of 5-medals? (Olympic champion has 5 more gold medals to his country's medal tally)

current system is fine. however, puting medal tables on the front page and medal tables in general are wrong, imho. to me they embody the twofaced nature of today's international politics (that includes the IOC), imho. if we were to follow what we are constantly saying about the Olympic games, there would be no medal counting whatsoever! unfortunatelly, that's probably impossible (yet) due to our miserable nature.
btw, that same nature is why I too want those damned tables to be there ;) but at the very least USA should use the same system as the IOC and the rest of the world does. Better yet, the system could be improved by counting "points" (gold 3 points, silver -2, bronze - 1) instead of medals. I think that would be more fair as now twenty silvers and bronzes trail to a single gold in shooting, that pretty much no one cares about in between the games. anyways, medal tables are not what we need alltogether, so these thoughts are not so important.

on a somewhat related note, I do not understand why some sports (wrestling, boxing) have a tradition of awarding more than one bronzes or stuff like that. not that it should be transferred to basketball, that'd be absurd, but simply I do not get it..

europeoverall
08-22-2008, 06:22 AM
haha :D
It's very ironic that only american sites put USA first in the medal ranking so far.:D
Yeah, the Americans did the same thing in 2004. The purposely made their tables about overall Medal counts four years ago, instead of Gold count, like here:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/front.htm
here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/athens2004/medals
and here:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/2004standings/

It was a conspiracy by the yanks because they knew the chinese would overtake them in 2008.

This is the reason why i root for everyone against the americans. It makes me feel good inside, also masks my own shortcomings.

usausa
08-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't agree with weighing the medals, but if beach volleyball is an olympic sport I'd love to see 3 on 3 or something

There is one indeed and its 2 on 2. Mens and womens.