Comments on Group Stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on Group Stage

I know, I know, there's one game left, but the standings are more or less final and the pairs for the QF more or less known - plus, we have an extra day to talk about it

Group A:

Lithuania was very consistent, playing high quality basketball, with Argentina a close second. I think it's fair to say these two teams proved to be very strong, in equally good shape, and their game has been fast, modern, efficient. Russia has been a huge disappointment, IMO, and I was particularly disenchanted with Blatt - who was probably excessively hyped up, if you ask me. Croatia played better than I expected (their coach has done a fantastic job, methinks) and also the Aussies, although nervous at first, improved when it mattered. Iran was also better than I expected, and I think through tournaments like this they will gain experience that will help them a lot in the future. There's a new contender in Asia.

Group B:

Team USA is the most interesting thing to talk about here. Their game has been phenomenally efficient, and despite all the gibberish I've been reading these past few days about NBA rules, refs being biased, etc., I think they won all their games emphatically and fairly. The big issue though is what they will do now, that the real tournament begins. Past experience has shown that Team USA fares less well in do-or-die games, although this specific team appears to be different. I think the most crucial game for them will be the SF, where - most probably - Greece or Argentina will be waiting. I dare say that Greece and Argentina are the two teams of the tournament with the greatest chances to upset the USA, because of the way they play, which - when it works - can act as a counter to the US game. If the USA wins the SF, they will win the gold medal very easily, remember that.

Spain, on the other hand, has been a bit of a disappointment. Not only did they lose to the USA -40 points, but they struggled against China and, I argue, they won the ghost of Greece on day 1. Speaking of Greece, I think it's once more the wildcard of the tournament. On a good day, they can win anyone, including team USA. On a bad day, they can lose to China. Overall, comparing to the team from the last two years, I think they're better. Probably they'll go against Argentina in the QF, and if their FG is decent and they manage to limit the Argentinian one, they have a good chance for the semi, where everything is possible. Germany, China and Angola have been more or less what I expected, although China was better than I expected. Still, QF will be the end of the road for them, and I think they should be happy they made it there
    "If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"

One thing that might be fun to discuss, albeit somewhat prematurely, is which players look to be on the All-Tournament Team so far?

If we include only players on teams making it to the quarterfinal stage, I would rate things this way:

First Team:
    Sarunas Jasikevicius
    Manu Ginobili
    Dwayne Wade
    Lebron James
    Yao Ming

Second Team:
    Chris Paul
    Vasilis Spanoulis
    Linas Kleiza
    Luis Scola
    Pau Gasol

Comment

Vassilis Skountis weighs in on what the quarterfinal teams need to do to improve going forward:

The official site of Euroleague Basketball. Check out live matches, stats, standings, teams, players, interviews, fantasy challenge and much more.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76
        One thing that might be fun to discuss, albeit somewhat prematurely, is which players look to be on the All-Tournament Team so far?

If we include only players on teams making it to the quarterfinal stage, I would rate things this way:

First Team:
        Sarunas Jasikevicius
        Manu Ginobili
        Dwayne Wade
        Lebron James
        Yao Ming

Second Team:
        Chris Paul
        Vasilis Spanoulis
        Linas Kleiza
        Luis Scola
        Pau Gasol
        Good list. How about an all-disappointing team while we're a it?

Jose Calderon (2 assists in 91 minutes)
        Joaquim Gomes (big games against Spain and Germany in 2006, where is he now?)
        Kobe Bryant (not hitting shots, not getting to the line, not creating for his teammates)
        Dirk Nowitzki (maybe a little unfair, but hasn't carried his team like in the past, and hasn't had any really big games)
        Yi Jianlian (hasn't emerged as a credible second star next to Yao)
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
          Good list. How about an all-disappointing team while we're a it?

Jose Calderon (2 assists in 91 minutes)
          Joaquim Gomes (big games against Spain and Germany in 2006, where is he now?)
          Kobe Bryant (not hitting shots, not getting to the line, not creating for his teammates)Dirk Nowitzki (maybe a little unfair, but hasn't carried his team like in the past, and hasn't had any really big games)
          Yi Jianlian (hasn't emerged as a credible second star next to Yao)
          I have a strange feeling that Kobe will be unstopable in scoring either in the semi or finals. I wait and see if my prediction comes true.

Comment

Originally posted by L8DBACK
            I have a strange feeling that Kobe will be unstopable in taking shots either in the semi or finals. I wait and see if my prediction comes true.
            Fixed
            Originally posted by Fedfan
            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
            Originally posted by GuTO
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information