PDA

View Full Version : Group A, day 4: Croatia vs Lithuania

rikhardur
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
The sensation of the tournament against one of the three teams with wins only so far. The Liths might as well pull another victory, but with this Croatia and the way they've been playing, can they do it?

toxmarius
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I see lithuanias wining by 15 points without much drama in the game, Croatia was lucky in the game with Russians, other then that one, they have played only one game with strong oponents Argentina, we all saw how that one ended. My vote goes for Lithuania:cool: ..

mayteromanl
08-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Uff, this is the game i wouldn't like to miss. Probably one of the best in all tournament.

My vote is for Lithuania

FRANKY 13
08-14-2008, 11:38 PM
If Jasikevicius can keep up the pace he had so far being the best Play Maker in the tournament, Croatia is going to have a huge problem. They do have a player who can slow him down in Planinic, who I love, but Saras is Saras...

Lithuania should win against a very balanced Croatian team. An upset is kind of possible though if the Liths have a bad shooting night.

Dtown
08-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Lithuania wins a close one and pretty much locks up group A.

re5pectas
08-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Croatia is my second beloved team. Still, i only saw onr game; against argentina - they sucked badly :(
Imho Lithuania by 5

Khalid80
08-15-2008, 07:30 AM
If Croatia wasn't beaten that badly by Argentina, I would have chosen Croatia over Lithuania.
Lithuania to beat Croatia by 9 points.

LinasKleizaFor3ITisGOOD
08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
I love Croatia too, but of course my vote goes to Lithuania.

Sss
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
What is the situation with Marko Popovic? Will he play?

tiro1
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Anything but a victory of Lithuania will be a big surprise. Croatia plays great basketball but Lithuania is a hard core team that can defend well and has a great team and winning mentality. Lithuania will win either by few or a lot.

Picek
08-15-2008, 10:36 AM
What is the situation with Marko Popovic? Will he play?
hardly..
the severeness of his injury is yet to be seen..
wouldn't be surprised if he is out for the remainder of the tournament..

auris1
08-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I really was surprised by Croatia in first two games –but perhaps it was due to Olympics qualifiers and them peaking a bit earlier .And with all past connections regarding Zalgiris and the way they are playing the game now it is difficult not to feel the sympathy and slight admiration for the team. I don’t think there is bad blood but this is war and nobody takes prisoners. Win tomorrow probably would guarantee first spot in the group for LT.

STOP
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Lithuania should win this easy if Marco Popovic won't play, victory is required because if Lithuania will be 1st in GROUP A, then they will meet China or Germany in playoffs, very easy oponents.

kestas
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Lithuania should win this easy if Marco Popovic won't play, victory is required because if Lithuania will be 1st in GROUP A, then they will meet China or Germany in playoffs, very easy oponents.

China can beat Greece, imho, but yeah, Marko Popovic was a huge scorer for Croatians, without him they must somehow find 20 or so points in other players and this is never easy. besides, I too suspect they may have peeked too early, that quallification tournament may have done its black work. in that regard I suspect Greece is voulnerable as well. this is not a regullar tournament where Greece would peek towards the play-offs. this is the second tournament in a row for them and this time their performance could go down, many people forget this.. by the way, we are already seing this in Germany's team - both Dirk and Kaman are not as good as a few weaks ago. if indeed all three quallified teams underperform, we will be able to say this quallification idea is bad (although to me it always looked like that).

Hepcat
08-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Lithuania cannot afford to take the Croats lightly. A loss would probably result in a second place finish for the Lithuanian team. I'm expecting Lithuania to prevail by ten.

:)

ankle breaker
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
lithuanians are playing good team basketball. i would like to reserve my choice when they meet the US, perhaps in the semis.

Picek
08-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Qualifications for OG 1992, Zaragoza
Litva - Hrvatska 99:89

EC 1995. (Greece), semifinal game
Litva - Hrvatska 90:80

OG 1996, Atlanta
Litva - Hrvatska 83:81

Qualifications for EC, 1998. (Split)
Hrvatska -Litva 72:64

Qualifications for EC, 1999. (Kaunas)
Litva - Hrvatska 76:65

EC 1999. (France)
Litva - Hrvatska 91:75

EC 2005. (Serbia and Montenegro)
Litva - Hrvatska 85:67

EC 2007. (Spain)
Litva - Hrvatska 74:72

not much to expect here.. as a fan ofcourse I hope for the best but you can see it for yourself..
no matter who we had in our team we lost 7 out of 8..

Srle
08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
This is very simple pick. Lithuania with easy win.

Levenspiel
08-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Croatia will probably finish the group as the 3rd unless they get a big margin win (namely +13). But it's a perfect test game before the quaterfinals, and I don't think they will hide any weapons for further match-ups like some others did. :rolleyes:

toxmarius
08-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Well when the game is closing up my opinion starts to change :) as Croatia was always hard to play with.. Croatia is one of my favorite teams too (caurse liths are in the first place). So with the great three pointers and decent defence they could bring liths down.. Anyhow i await of the great game with the little margin.. Good luck for the both teams, especially for Lithuania, che che :)

Reverse
08-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Lithuania starts off sloppy as usual, good play by Croatia so far, they managed to dictate the tempo of the game.

Dtown
08-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Lithuania seemed to wake up toward the end of the first.

kecal
08-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Lithuania seemed to wake up toward the end of the first.

OMG, what a bad streak... 2+1, turnover and 3...

Billy Bounce
08-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Looks like a bad 3pts shooting day for Croats : 1/6 , but so far their aggressive defense is doing job for them

Reverse
08-16-2008, 07:14 AM
It's hard to play when the other teams gets two free throws on their every possession. Sadly, one of the refs doesn't let the players play their game.

adebisi
08-16-2008, 07:19 AM
It's hard to play when the other teams gets two free throws on their every possession. Sadly, one of the refs doesn't let the players play their game.
stop whınıng and gıve a credıt to croatıan defence ;)
Lukauskıs ıs amasıng on the both ends :rolleyes:

Markoishvili
08-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Lithuania hit a bunch of contested shots to remain in touch, Croatia would be leading by double digits if they were not shooting so well.

STOP
08-16-2008, 07:25 AM
LOL look at Croatia shooting, from board, then about 3 shots when ball bouncing...

Lithuania plays very bad, and Croatia very good

kecal
08-16-2008, 07:25 AM

The difference in FT's attempted is not so big. We should win the boards, and that would be just enough for the victory.

OT: Adebisi, are you in Turkey now? Where are your "i" letters? :D

adebisi
08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
OT: Adebisi, are you in Turkey now? Where are your "i" letters? :D
:D yeah that,s rıght, I,m ın Turkey atm, and local keyboards are just too dıffıcult for me :rolleyes:
Lukauskıs!!!!!

kecal
08-16-2008, 07:37 AM
We're starting some kind of an attack... That is Lithuanian ball, for sure.

Lukauskis almost perfect so far...

PHILIPeurobasket
08-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Very good quick game, both team play great offence - they scored every shoot in 3rd quarter :) !!!

GO lithuania GO ;) !!!

kecal
08-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Jasikevičius needs to cut down his mistakes... it hurts our team too much.

P.S.: OK, he's still useful... :)

Markoishvili
08-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Lithuania shoot the lights out today. However, as good of a team as Croatia is, system can get you only as far. Croatia lacks athleticism, especially on frontcourt and perimeter players have tough time breaking defense. Individual quality of Croatian players is a class below Argentina, Greece and Lithuania, not to mention Spain and USA.

LTbotd
08-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Total destruction in 4th quarter :eek:

Reverse
08-16-2008, 08:05 AM
stop whınıng and gıve a credıt to croatıan defence ;)
Lukauskıs ıs amasıng on the both ends :rolleyes:
I wasn't whining about Croatia, you saw it yourself, once the refs let the players play in the second half, the game became beautiful, don't try to deny it ;) Anyway, great game by both teams, haven't seen such in a while.

PHILIPeurobasket
08-16-2008, 08:06 AM
85:73 ... congratulate Lithuania :)

Linas Kleiza won game - 4/4 for 3 in last quarter and this was game over :)

Lithuania for 3 11/20 - nice work ;)

kecal
08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
That was huge... We show good mental toughness, when it matters most...

Migelitas
08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Great victory, still i'm pitty for Croatia. They played great 30 minuts, but something hapened in the 4th quarter, our Oldsmobile switched to 4th gear and we finished good.

softice
08-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Congrats to Liths
Amazing 4th quarter

Muzonasxxx
08-16-2008, 08:15 AM
nice win, good game from bench players : Kleiza, Jasaitis and Lukauskis.

Khalid80
08-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Congrats to Lithuania! Both teams deserve to be in the quarterfinals.

Beva
08-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Congratulations to Lithuania!

Well, we played good and I'm satisfied! It really would been the same if we won, cause we would be 3rd anyway, I think, so it's better to save some strength for quarterfinals... At least we came back after Argentina, and Aussies won, so we're 3rd, and before the tournament, I would take it without a doubt...

Migelitas
08-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Well, we played good and I'm satisfied! It really would been the same if we won, cause we would be 3rd anyway, I think, so it's better to save some strength for quarterfinals... At least we came back after Argentina, and Aussies won, so we're 3rd, and before the tournament, I would take it without a doubt...

In case of your victory today you could be second, if Lithuania loose to Australia. Now we secured 1st place, but if we lost today, i'm wouldn't be so sure against Australia.

Gugis
08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Awesome game... Linas Kleiza showed what he can in 4th q

STOP
08-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Mindaugas Lukauskis is man of the mach. He scored when we needed it most.

So far Rytas' players are main figures of the NT, and Zalgiris players are worth 0

taspac
08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
So far Rytas' players are main figures of the NT, and Zalgiris players are worth 0

Grow up, its Lithuania, not Kaunas or Vilnius... some guys just cant think not as childs...

C-ka
08-16-2008, 09:21 AM
haha we still have amazing jerks here in Lithuania, don't we? :D I wouldn't say one great game by Lukauskis makes him a main figure in the NT, while Petravicius also ain't something, followed by useless (so far) Prekevicius. So wat ar yu toking abaut?:p

STOP
08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
haha we still have amazing jerks here in Lithuania, don't we? :D I wouldn't say one great game by Lukauskis makes him a main figure in the NT, while Petravicius also ain't something, followed by useless (so far) Prekevicius. So wat ar yu toking abaut?:p
I was talking about players who played and plays in rytas: Jasikevicius, Kaukenas, Siskauskas, Petravicius, Prekevicius, Lukauskis...

Ok sorry for mentioning this names, I just thought it is interesting statistics. Not because I don't like Zalgiris. You are right - it is not worh mentioning.

now we need to watch China-Germany game, probably one of those teams will meet Lithuania in Playoffs.

C-ka
08-16-2008, 09:30 AM
forgot... amazing Kleiza, man, this guy has some skills for sure, simply fantastic. Great Lukauskis and Jasaitis too. And even though Saras didn't have a good shooting day, I liked him and the distribution efforts he gave (actually I thought he'll end up with like 10 assists).

I'm just admiring this thing more and more. It's not that we're the dream team or would have a bunch of world superstars, but these guys, this team of this generation is simply winning. Great mentality, and even the defense, I find it spectacular for a Lith NT! I guess we really are somewhat special. :)

Levenspiel
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
No more Kaunas-Vilnius debate please, guys, we outsiders also follow this thread.

Thanks.

@STOP, you'll never stop, will you?

Picek
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM

and Kleiza killed us.. again.. like in Spain last year..
we missed Popović too much.. not because of his scoring but because we needed another option in attack..
I didn't like Ukić, he played horrible.. infact the whole tournament he is playing horrible..
Planinić is great coming in for the bench (he will replace Papaloukas perfectly in CSKA) but I would like him to start instead of Ukić..
Kus can play SG and Planinić and Ukić should be our PG's with Planinić starting..
anyway, we were in a game for three quarters eventhough Lith's shooted more then 45% percent from outside..
and when they started firing from all cylinders we were done..
our defence was o.k. for most of the game and our rebounding as well..
as for Lith's, yes they won with double digit margine but they won't get far if they will continue like this against someone stronger..
only three point shooting won't bring any medals..
and those turnovers.. geez.. it was like Japan 2006. all over again..
and our guys outrebounding them for most of the game (don't know how it finished though) surely won't help their cause..
Kleiza should start, don't know why is he playing so little.. he is a starter material.. he is not a kid anymore and his strength and outside shooting are great..

STOP
08-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Here is an interview with Mindaugas Lukauskis (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/news/inte/p/newsid/28097/FE_news_inteArti.html) who saved us in though moments.

I think that UKIC made a lot of problems for Lithuania, thank god he missed 4 threepointers in a row

Beva
08-16-2008, 12:12 PM
In case of your victory today you could be second, if Lithuania loose to Australia. Now we secured 1st place, but if we lost today, i'm wouldn't be so sure against Australia.

Australia secured the 4th place, so I don't think they'll be trying so hard against Lithuania...

Darknemo2000
08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Actually Australia can still grab third place. Though not very realistic chances as that would need Croatia to loose against Iran but there are still slim chances for them, so I would not think they would not try to win this game.

Straight forward
08-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Kleiza should start, don't know why is he playing so little.. he is a starter material.. he is not a kid anymore and his strength and outside shooting are great..

He might start as PF in some games, while D. Lavrinovic is a great player as well and didn't have a best game yet. SF position is closed even if Šiškauskas not showing his best in this tournament. Kleiza is still unstable, that's the fact.

Picek
08-16-2008, 01:48 PM
He might start as PF in some games, while D. Lavrinovic is a great player as well and didn't have a best game yet. SF position is closed even if Šiškauskas not showing his best in this tournament. Kleiza is still unstable, that's the fact.Butaustas should keep him in as long as he is hot like this..
and he is hot.. over 50% from the field
Šiškauskas could then add some maturity coming in from the bench..
but that is just my remark based on what I have seen from Kleiza so far..
he is more stable then he ever was..

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Butaustas should keep him in as long as he is hot like this..
and he is hot.. over 50% from the field
Šiškauskas could then add some maturity coming in from the bench..
but that is just my remark based on what I have seen from Kleiza so far..
he is more stable then he ever was..

Don't think so, he was playing in a first quarter, and your player (forgot a name) was shoting ower him again and again, he become hot becourse had some time to rest on a bench.

Hepcat
08-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I nearly split a gut laughing when I saw this post by Jonas Kazlauskas, the Chinese team's coach, on the FIBA message board:

Shikna jums vyruciai. As ateinu su Yao! (Translation - Here's an ass for you dear little fellows, I'm coming with Yao!

:D