Stefan Blaszczynski?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stefan Blaszczynski?

Why is Stefan Blaszczynski not playing in the NBL? Or at least in Euro (he has a Polish passport)?

not good enough

Comment

He just won MVP of the Australian Basketball League

Comment

Originally posted by draskovic
        He just won MVP of the Australian Basketball League

http://www.cccrusaders.com.au/fs_new...&O1c=12&O10c=6
        Not quite.
        Stefan Blaszczynski was named MVP of the league for the men's Waratah Australian Basketball League competitio
        That's MVP of the suburban league in Sydney.

Comment

exactly my point. I seem to recall john phillip was excellent in the ABA Waratah league (winning a few MVP awards there) and never really produced in the NBL.

Comment

I don't want to make fun of Blaszczynsky or the league, but I don't even think the Waratah League is a professional league. I think it's like a YMCA-type league. I'm probably wrong, so could one of my Aussie friends correct me?
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
              I don't want to make fun of Blaszczynsky or the league, but I don't even think the Waratah League is a professional league. I think it's like a YMCA-type league. I'm probably wrong, so could one of my Aussie friends correct me?

The Australian Basketball Association (ABA) is the semi-pro league of Australia just like the NBDL, CBA, ABA, USBL etc are the semi-pro leagues of the USA.

The Waratah League is a conference in the Australian Basketball Association . However, the top conference is the South East Australian Basketball League (SEABL).

The Waratah league comprises of clubs from the state New South Wales (Sydney's state) and the Australian Capital Territory (Canberra's state).

Many of the best players in the Waratah League are players in the National Basketball League (Australia's top flight league) or teenagers who will soon be playing in lower Division I NCAA schools or top NCAA Division II schools. Most of these players from the NBL are solid players but occasionally you do have some NBL stars who use the league as a way to keep fit during the off season.

Back in 2003-2005 I used to watch a lot of Waratah League games (Hills Hornets) and in my opinion I believe that the level would be the equivalent of a lower Division I NCAA school or a top Division II school.
              "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
              -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia
                The Australian Basketball Association (ABA) is the semi-pro league of Australia just like the NBDL, CBA, ABA, USBL etc are the semi-pro leagues of the USA.
                Ah, I understand now. One other question: do you know anything about the salaries? I'm guessing that the players who make money don't get enough to live on, similar to the semi-pros in the US, who might make $500 for a few weeks up to $27,000 for the best players in the NBDL.
                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Ah, I understand now. One other question: do you know anything about the salaries? I'm guessing that the players who make money don't get enough to live on, similar to the semi-pros in the US, who might make $500 for a few weeks up to $27,000 for the best players in the NBDL.
                  Well, one of my best child hood friends - Anto Lalic has played in the Waratah League for the past 7 years and has been labelled "The Greatest Player who has never played an NBL game" and he has told me that all players in the Waratah League do not get paid. The clubs do have sponsors to cover costs however, I'm not sure whether the imports (many of whom were former imports in the NBL) get paid. The highest league SEABL do get paid however, it is not a lot and it only gets them by.
                  -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia
                    Well, one of my best child hood friends - Anto Lalic has played in the Waratah League for the past 7 years and has been labelled "The Greatest Player who has never played an NBL game" and he has told me that all players in the Waratah League do not get paid.
                    I just did a Google search on him. Seems like a very good player!
                    The clubs do have sponsors to cover costs however, I'm not sure whether the imports (many of whom were former imports in the NBL) get paid. The highest league SEABL do get paid however, it is not a lot and it only gets them by.
                    Pay or no pay, I'd still kill to be good enough to play in a league like that.

Comment

I just did a Google search on him. Seems like a very good player!
                      Well the truth is that he could have been a better player an possibly play in the NBL had he decided to take a different path early in his career.
                      What happened was that after high school he went on a basketball tour in the USA and was offered a couple of scholarships from NCAA Division II schools however, he decided to go via the ABA system inorder to make the leap to the NBL not to realise that the gap between the ABA and the NBL is enormous.
                      Looking on the bright side the bloke ("guy" in Australian) along with his cousin (Goran Veg - who has had numerous stints in the NBL) were offered to train with Croatia's Zadar (both of their parents are originally from Croatia) however, as expected they were not offered a contract. There's a HUGE difference between the Croatian league and the NBL much more with the ABA and the Croatian league.
                      -El Padrino

Comment

i think equating the waratah league with ''lower Div 1 NCAA'' is overstating things a bit.
                        Most waratah league teams couold not compete with Div 2 schools for that matter.

Comment

I would disagree because when some of the Division I schools like for example UNLV came to Australia they lost to an Waratah League club (Sutherland Sharks). Sure enough that Sutherland was at full strength with BJ Carter lighting up the score board and I'm uncertain whether or not UNLV was at full strength but stating that Waratah League clubs struggle against Division II schools is an understatement. During pre-NCAA season/ touring AUS time it is always or at least 90% of the squads from the US are from Division I and half of their NSW tour games are against Waratah League clubs thus demonstrating the level of the competition.
                          -El Padrino

Comment

when the Div 1 schools make those trips they are not their full squads (freshmen are not allowed to travel, the seniors are gone from the previous year - so they often have walk on players to fill the obvious gaps). These games are almost always conducted mid Waratah league season (which is pre season for the tourists). So to compare these teams on that basis is patently wrong. Try getting waratah league teams to play Div one schools in the middle of the US college season and see how they rate then!

Comment

Originally posted by kajacko
                              Try getting waratah league teams to play Div one schools in the middle of the US college season and see how they rate then!
                              The problem with your statement is that the NCAA Div I is very wide range in terms of talent. Thus, my opinion is that the Waratah League is as good as a lower Division I school like schools in the WCC conference.
                              -El Padrino

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information