PDA

View Full Version : Fadi El-Khatib: Lebanon has no chance against Greece

stuart
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Surprised that Lebanese captain would say such a thing (http://www.athens2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olymQual/men/news/inte/p/newsid/26574/FE_news_inteArti.html), but perhaps it's to motivate the players?

El Khatib: ĎAgainst Greece we really donít have slightest possibility of winningí
ATHENS Ė Fadi El Khatib will this week attempt to lead Lebanon into the Beijing Games. And thankfully, there is no political uncertainty back home, thus allowing the players to focus on the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

El Khatib gave this interview 24 hours before the start of the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Fadi, is life in Lebanon getting back to normal?
El Khatib: ďNow we have a president, a couple of days ago a government was formed and there are no problems anymore. For two or three months, life has been back to normal; people are going to their jobs without feeling any fear, they are having fun or going to the beach with nothing to worry about. The fact that we now have a government has been the actual solution. Everybody in Lebanon sees now the future with an optimistic view.Ē

Did the unsettled situation before cause trouble for the teamís preparations?
El Khatib: In previous years, every time we traveled to participate in any international competition, we knew that we had left big problems behind us at home. In 2006, during Japanís FIBA World Championship, there was a war taking place in our country. It has always been so; we were traveling and things back home werenít good. But, thatís not the case anymore. Now, we are calm, because we know that our families and friends are secure. Itís the first time we donít feel any kind of pressure or insecurity.

What is the situation with your team right now?
El Khatib: In Canada, where we played some friendly games, we unfortunately lost one of our most important players, Joseph Vogel. His absence costs us a lot as he is 2.10m. After him, the tallest player is only 2.05. As a result, we will be facing a significant draw back under the basket, but we are still willing to give our best.

What do you think about your opening game against Greece?
El Khatib: We know that against the Greek National Team we really donít have the slightest possibility of winning. Greece is an excellent team and furthermore will be competing and enjoying the support of the home crowd. They are determined to qualify for the Olympic Games and they wouldnít allow themselves lose at the beginning. Nevertheless, we will try as hard as it gets and see what happens.

Do you believe that you can beat Brazil?
El Khatib: If we had Vogel with us, I would say that we would have a 50% to beat Brazil. Without him, though, things have become a lot harder. However, we tend to play well against good teams and I hope that the same will happen against Brazi.

b3lowzro
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
well having the home crowd plus defeating the team USA would make the knees of Fadi shake against the Greeks but still we can never be so sure, he might have some surprise up in his sleeve

fasoulaki
07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Maybe I am superstitious but I really do not like this kind of statements,

I fear that Greece will end up like Tream USA. :(

bobo81
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Why on earth would he say it like that. In these kinds of times you cannot be so blunt with your words.

nnt01
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
I somehow also think..that it is some kind of giving the other teams extra-confidence and then try to take advantage of that...but the thing is that after vogel's injury..all the media shifted to these kinds of talks..that now it is only a phase to prepare the team for the next asian championship and thus the World Championship again...it's bad..but they just don't wan to make the people's hope high

each way
07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
At least he is being realistic

softice
07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
double score at half time 54-27

bobo81
07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow...

Ilya
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Final score 119-62.

CG
07-14-2008, 08:51 PM
amazing performance by Greece.the form continues after the recent friendly games..

fasoulaki
07-14-2008, 08:52 PM
amazing performance by Greece.the form continues after the recent friendly games..

Yes but It was a team without center!

Ilya
07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Come on now, we can't use this as an actual sample of the team's performance. I actually felt embarrassed for the guys.

CG
07-14-2008, 08:55 PM
noone sayed anything about the game.just about the form..i remind to some youngers.. that Greece had bad appearences in the past against weaker opponents...

fasoulaki
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Come on now, we can't use this as an actual sample of the team's performance. I actually felt embarrassed for the guys.

me too it was a pitty.

But, I think they wanted to give a clear message!

noone sayed anything about the game.just about the form..i remind to some youngers.. that Greece had bad appearences in the past against weaker opponents...

Yes I remember that. As soon as there was some margin the Greeks started to be less focused.
Just remember 2001 in Turkey when we end up counting the free throws of Papaloukas allthough we
were leading with 20 points at half time against Germany!

Ilya
07-14-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't know though, I still need to see the team on Wednesday to be sure.

rikhardur
07-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Final score 119-62.
Wow, didn't watch the game, but I was surely not expecting such a dismal result.

Ilya
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
It was actually like 15 year olds playing 18 year olds. I totally didn't enjoy it, would have hated it if our team was the one to lose like that, I actually do feel embarrassed.

fasoulaki
07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
It was actually like 15 year olds playing 18 year olds. I totally didn't enjoy it, would have hated it if our team was the one to lose like that, I actually do feel embarrassed.

Yes but you have to think longterm. It is time for Greece to become a big team. I mean really a big team.

For a decade our team had a psychological problem, failing in the most critical moments because they did not stand the pressure.

Just remember EC03 in Sweden against Italy how much fear the players had in their eyes without ability to score.

Why not turn the game around. Why not develop a legend a myth around the team and let our opponents be the party that has the psychological problem if they have to face us.

daniab
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Too sad,congrats for greece.Amazing defensive team.
Well technically,Greece had 8 players above 205 while Lebanon had 3 players only above 200 cm !
Second Greece were dominating the rebounds something like 45 to 16 for lebanon only.
The absence of joe vogel were the direct reason for that big failure,the centers of greece were almost taking control of everything,rebounds,lay ups,dunks.If joe vogel was there,im sure the difference wouldnt be that far,its not normal to have a 195cm defending a 210 cm.
This is not my team , this is not our performance,i know we were going to loose but not by shamefull loss.
Congrats to greece and their fans and i hope we will not start crying cz our situation is not so supportive.
Hope to fix the mistakes very soon and we are planning to do so.

KWSN-Men
07-14-2008, 09:14 PM
What happened to Tsartsaris? Suddenly in form? Strange.

Must have been that he was not playing center today... :rolleyes:

fasoulaki
07-14-2008, 09:15 PM
What happened to Tsartsaris? Suddenly in form? Strange.

Must have been that he was not playing center today... :rolleyes:

Didnt he play the C in the starting five?

Red Inspiration
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Great performance, but i feel a little embarrassed too, just because the opponent were the lebanese and i like them.
I wouldn't mind if the opponent was someone else :p

Ilya
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't really think we could have such an advantage against the teams we' d be needing it. There are only a few teams who are as good or better than this team and that kind of edge would never work against them. Let's face it: The Liths, the Russians, the Spaniards or the US team would never really be afraid of us. (Sorry if I'm forgetting a couple of teams).

Ilya
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Actually he did. I don't know about his form though, maybe he needs the competitiveness to perform.

Turkish Airlines Euroleague
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't really think we could have such an advantage against the teams we' d be needing it. There are only a few teams who are as good or better than this team and that kind of edge would never work against them. Let's face it: The Liths, the Russians, the Spaniards or the US team would never really be afraid of us. (Sorry if I'm forgetting a couple of teams).

And we will never really be afraid of them. Guys, Greece did what it has to do, today. Don't forget that this was actually a preparation game ( not offense ) for the upcoming Olympic tournament, and all players give their best.

Ilya
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
This is not my team , this is not our performance,i know we were going to loose but not by shamefull loss.

You shouldn't be feeling like that man. This is sports, someone wins, someone loses and there's no shame in that. You said it yourself, you played without one of your two best players.

daniab
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
You shouldn't be feeling like that man. This is sports, someone wins, someone loses and there's no shame in that. You said it yourself, you played without one of your two best players.

well even so its not an excuse to loose by this big margin.
I know who is greece and how good they are ? but still we can manage a respectfull performance as korea did today.
I felt a big shame seeing the players running without any enthusiasm,i missed the games that we used to be very enthusiast to play and make the people here in lebanon proud,especially the game vs france that we won it.Basketball is the only thing that made the people here happy and forgetting for a moment the wars.

07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.athens2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olymQual/men/scheResu/p/eventid//gamename/1/groupname/A/langid//langlc//roundid/6250/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html

Ilya
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I felt a big shame seeing the players running without any enthusiasm,i missed the games that we used to be very enthusiast to play and make the people here in lebanon proud,especially the game vs france that we won it.Basketball is the only thing that made the people here happy and forgetting for a moment the wars.

You should never be ashamed of your players, that's an awful thing to say.

Now you're making me feel even worse.

daniab
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
You should never be ashamed of your players, that's an awful thing to say.

Now you're making me feel even worse.

I have never been ashamed of my players,because i know what these players have given to us.But the baskebtall is a continuity and some in lebanon are still leaving on some acheivements in the past.
I know that the situation in lebanon didnt help a lot,but even so i remember the WC 2006 when we played and lebanon were under a huge war and we could make a very respectfull participation.

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
A few greek guys said that they were "embarrassed" by the result today. Shall I presume that you mean that you felt sorry (not in the bad sense) for Lebanon? I don't understand why one should feel embarrassed for winning by a big margin. It is a strange choice of a word. Unless you meant that Greece should have cut some slack and not allow the margin to get as high as it did.

Red Inspiration
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Unless you meant that Greece should have cut some slack and not allow the margin to get as high as it did.

on the spot ;)

KWSN-Men
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM

Yes and he was horrible ofcourse. When he was in the game playing as a PF, he was the good old Tsartsaris. Although he is not a soft guy and he is 2,10, his game is not suited for the C position...

nnt01
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
We should never be and we will never be ashamed of our players..they played bad..so what?! Every team passes through a difficult and a bad phase..how we get past this, is what matters..as you said dani...this is a continuation...we have a very promising youth national team..i think our basketball has a very respectable future.

Concerning Greece, you should not feel sorry for us! This will makes and let us feel bad! you had a great game, and we had a bad one, and you had to deliver a strong message to the rest of the teams especially that you are playing on your court!...Hard luck for us, hopefully in the near future..we will have a team that will beat you by 50 pts too! :)

rikhardur
07-14-2008, 10:21 PM
We should never be and we will never be ashamed of our players..they played bad..so what?! Every team passes through a difficult and a bad phase..how we get past this, is what matters..as you said dani...this is a continuation...we have a ver promising youthe national team..i think our basketball has a very respectable future.
Very true. And let's not forget that Lebanon beat France not so long ago. Every team has a bad night like this (not underestimating Greece of course).

Ilya
07-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Well said, friend.
I never meant to say that we feel sorry for you. On the contrary, what these players have done amidst the war and turmoil is simply amazing. I only meant that we could have taken it a bit easier.

And I most definitely am not a guy:p

nnt01
07-14-2008, 10:29 PM
And I most definitely am not a guy:p

I did not say anything about you being a guy or not! :p

Ilya
07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Someone talked about Greek "guys" feeling embarrassed. You didn't say any such thing:p

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Someone talked about Greek "guys" feeling embarrassed. You didn't say any such thing:p

To my defense, "guy" and "dude" are gender non-specific anymore. I call my female friends "dudes"/"guys" and so do themselves.

What was the situation at the arena? How many people showed up for the games?

DanMajerle
07-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Hoppe Greece won't peak too early. It will be a difficult task to keep their shape till Olympic Elimination games.

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Hoppe Greece won't peak too early. It will be a difficult task to keep their shape till Olympic Elimination games.

That's what makes the idea of the pre-Olympic tournament such a bad one. Whoever qualifies from that thing would have a very hard summer ahead of them, and I can already predict some really tired and underperforming players in the winter.

Ilya
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, the arena was basically more empty than full. I think sth like 4.000 people (I didn't go, I was just counting heads on the screen:p ). The atmosphere in OAKA is sort of cold when there aren't enough people, but I couldn't really tell you. There were some Lebanon fans as well, and they were sitting among the Greek fans, which was such a welcome change from the Greek A1 battle-zones!

So, if you call your women friends dude or guy you must be an English native speaker, right? (Yes, some of my friends do call me malaka too!):D

Ilya
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
That's what makes the idea of the pre-Olympic tournament such a bad one. Whoever qualifies from that thing would have a very hard summer ahead of them, and I can already predict some really tired and underperforming players in the winter.

I don't know, maybe the players could have some time off before the Olympics, or do you think that's a dreadful idea? (I keep having images of DD13 collapsing in my head-awful!)

nnt01
07-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, the arena was basically more empty than full. I think sth like 4.000 people (I didn't go, I was just counting heads on the screen:p ). The atmosphere in OAKA is sort of cold when there aren't enough people, but I couldn't really tell you. There were some Lebanon fans as well, and they were sitting among the Greek fans, which was such a welcome change from the Greek A1 battle-zones!

Today a lebanese newspaper said..that for our game...all the 18000 seats are all booked and the arena will be full!! and there are around 300 lebanese fans coming to the match!!

Not a bit of exaggeration at all!

Ilya
07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Yes, I read on a Greek site that there were 5000 people in the arena, but I think that might be an exaggeration too. I think there will be more people on Wednesday when the Greek team plays against the-unfortunately-without-Varejao-team, but the prices of the tickets are a bit over the top, so some people couldn't go to all the games.

mohsena2631
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
i watched this match and it was "best Greece vs. worst Lebanon"

i think (indeed I hope) Lebanese team did not show their full power because their most important match is Brazil's match. Greece is not beatable for asian teams !

PRSURF
07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I think the Lebanon team was afraid or something, they don't play like that for sure.:rolleyes:

GR8BBALL
07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Good game for Greece I am glad they were concentrated because Lebanon isn't so bad as it looked tonight.

And one more thing: Lebanese posters don't need anyone's pity or feeling sorry for them. These things happen in sports and sometimes this kind of loss is a blessing in disguise because they will have the chance to re-evaluate things and try to become more competitive, similar to what Greece had to go through after the 2001 and 2003 Euro championships.

And one more thing: anyone remember Rony Seikaly??? That's right, I mean center of Miami Heat who made a couple of all star games.
Some people know that he comes from Lebanon but fewer know that he grew up in Athens and played for the junior team of Panathinaikos.
The guy went on to become an NCAA star with the Syracuse Orangemen and actually played in the NCAA final back in 1987 (same year that Greece won the Eurochamp at home). He had a long and productive career in the nba I wonder if he still visits Athens nowadays.

daniab
07-15-2008, 05:57 AM
And one more thing: anyone remember Rony Seikaly??? That's right, I mean center of Miami Heat who made a couple of all star games.
Some people know that he comes from Lebanon but fewer know that he grew up in Athens and played for the junior team of Panathinaikos.
The guy went on to become an NCAA star with the Syracuse Orangemen and actually played in the NCAA final back in 1987 (same year that Greece won the Eurochamp at home). He had a long and productive career in the nba I wonder if he still visits Athens nowadays.

Rony Seikaly was born in lebanon,he left to Athens,lebanon in that time were passing in tough time, he complete his secondary years there in Athens,then he moved to US to join a college.
Rony is now in Lebanon,he opened a foundation.

Khalid80
07-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Sinhariteria (Congratulations) for Greece!
U guys kicked our asses fair and square. U played 40 minutes of excellent basketball and ur defense was amazing (pressuring the guy with the ball the whole game and not giving any chances for our players).
Lebanon couldn't have done anything even if we had our 1st center Vogel (I think that the only difference was that we would have lost by around 30 points instead of 57).
I hope that Lebanon gives everything they have tonight against Brazil and I just hope they play well (For me that would be losing by less than 20 points).

Khalid80
07-15-2008, 07:35 AM

So, if you call your women friends dude or guy you must be an English native speaker, right? (Yes, some of my friends do call me malaka too!):D

I was a bit surprised that not so many people went to the game.
I am assuming that many Greeks would now be on vacation where they usually go to the Greek Islands. Also i think there will be more fans in the upcoming games when Greece gets closer to the final stages.
I was happy to see that there were many Greek female supporters who went to the game as well :) .
As for the Lebanese fans sitting among the Greek fans, please note that there are many Lebanese who live in Greece and they consider it as their second country. Also ur culture is really close to ours (Mediterranean).
I have many Lebanese friends that live in Greece and they love it there.

marc333
07-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Rony Fahed's interview after the game:

http://www.athens2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olymQual/men/news/lateNews/p/newsid/26644/FE_news_lateNews_arti.html

Remon
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Sinhariteria (Congratulations) for Greece!
U guys kicked our asses fair and square. U played 40 minutes of excellent basketball and ur defense was amazing (pressuring the guy with the ball the whole game and not giving any chances for our players).
Lebanon couldn't have done anything even if we had our 1st center Vogel (I think that the only difference was that we would have lost by around 30 points instead of 57).
I hope that Lebanon gives everything they have tonight against Brazil and I just hope they play well (For me that would be losing by less than 20 points).

It was a combination of inexperience against a tough defense and the fact that it was the second shortest team against the tallest one.

BTW, I just realised that Kavala is in Cameroun, or that's according to the official site. (http://www.athens2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olymQual/men/teamPlay/team/p/eventid/4508/langlc/en/roundid/4508/teamnumber/291/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.html)

Khalid80
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
It was a combination of inexperience against a tough defense and the fact that it was the second shortest team against the tallest one.
Yeah that's true. The Greek team is also physically tough. Ur players fight hard for the rebounds and when u have a guy like big Sofo (He's like a buldozer) under the basket it's so tough to stop him.

07-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah that's true. The Greek team is also physically tough. Ur players fight hard for the rebounds and when u have a guy like big Sofo (He's like a buldozer) under the basket it's so tough to stop him.

Actually, that's one of his nicknames along with "Baby Shaq" and "Big Sofo". :D

rocketstar47
07-17-2008, 09:15 AM
....lebanon should get the lyks of hall of famers ali fakhreddine
------------------------------------------------------

philippines94,lebanon75
2005 exhibition game

Khalid80
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
....lebanon should get the lyks of hall of famers ali fakhreddine
------------------------------------------------------

philippines94,lebanon75
2005 exhibition game

:confused:
Ali Fakhreddine is already on the Lebanese NT. What do u mean by Hall of Famer? The guy plays ok but he's no Hall of Famer.

obe31
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM

BTW, I just realised that Kavala is in Cameroun, or that's according to the official site. (http://www.athens2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olymQual/men/teamPlay/team/p/eventid/4508/langlc/en/roundid/4508/teamnumber/291/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.html)
Hahahaha! I was borned and raised in Kavala. I thought i was greek...hmm..maybe i have to reconsider now..

leedsunited86
08-16-2010, 12:34 AM