PDA

View Full Version : Olimpija in 2008/09 season

Joško Poljak Fan
05-20-2008, 10:44 AM
since the talks about the next years team already started I think it's the time for the new thread ;)

team I'd like to see and within supposed financial possibilities for the next season:

PG: Dragič, Močnik/Bailey/some other US guard
With Dragič it all depends on the court and on the next Tau coach in anyway I do believe there are some chances for Olimpija to keep him for one more season. One more ear in euroleague on this level would mostlikely be the best for him, the question is if his manager will agree to that.
I think Olimpija should in the future look towards Jan Močnik as well, but the reality is that at his age, all he needs is playing time and no practices instead, he should change the team for his good.
As Olimpija can't exactl pursue some big time players I'd try to lure Helios's Jure Močnik in the team, it's again a question if he can remain healthy for the whole season- if he can he'll start to contribute and add a fast pace dimension to the team

As for Čapin and Joksimovič that appear in those preseason calculations oftenly. I don't like Čapin's soft defense at all, he might be doing decently in offense but he still wouldn't be my first pick on PG reinforcement. Joksimovič would mostlikely set a price that wouldn't be appropriate with some other players getting less and mostlikely contributing more to the team.

SG: Sašo Ožbolt, Jaka Klobučar
If only Sašo stays healthy and gets at least up to 80% of his old level
Klobučar once said (as a devoted Krka supporter) he'll never play for Olimpija, I hope he'd change his mind as both sides would benefit from it within 2-3 ears period.

SF: Hukić, US player, Dino Murič
Of course "Huka zlatna ruka" has to be included. with some more players that's be dangerous on the perimeter he won't be covered as closely as he was anymore.
we already know the story with US players... I personally would give Gorenc a chance if he would be able to play another season at this level, but that's questionable..
I'd add Dino Murić to the team if Parklji would let him go, as he looks like the brightest slovenian talent at this moment he might be getting some minutes in adriatic league and national championship... of course get him under 6-7 years contract untill the guy starts to shine somewhere else and gets offers from abroad he won't be able to refuse

PF: Milič, Zupan
Milič might have an off season so far, but I believe he can play better as he did and believe he will. Zupan got his first chance in euroleague, we're used of his unstability but on the other hand he really impressed in some games, nailing 3 pointers and hustling for those rebounds. Olimpija should try to resign him to a new long term contract as soon as possible.

C: Begić, Rizvić, US player (hopefully not running away as Graves and not afraid of contact as Booker)
With the prices on the market we don't have any room for dreaming here, US PF/C tweeners will be available, some of less aknowledged ones for a decent price as well, Džikić might use his contacts and get us one of those... the fact he worked with Minnesota might proove as a plus to those players.
Begić has some other type of issues... Rizvić is just... Rizvić, but I prefer sticking out with these two than calculating with some unprooved foreigners that've either played at a lower level, are injury prone, have character issues, can't stand even less contact than Rizvić&Begić or some other stuff that made them drop their price to Olimpija's level.
The way Begić played in the second part of the season gives us some hope

that's within our sad reality... otherwise i'd go with
PG: Cook, Dragič, Vladović
SG: Lorbek, Ožbolt
SF: Dragičević, Hukić
C: Brezec, Ilić, Begić
:rolleyes:

zwbgr
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I hope Dragić's agent will pressure on TAU to loan him for another season. There's no place for him in TAU yet. I don't know about Mile Ilić but since he don't have successful season he may has low price (400k €?). I would really like to see him in Olimpija, he still has a potential.
I hope we can bring Klobučar. D. Lorbek would be too expensive probably. Dino Murič is possibility, Sirnik and Sarajlija are too. Močnik has to be loaned to some 1.SKL club. I would sign Rizvič for another season but only as 3rd center. There remains a hole on backup SF position. Klobučar could play there, but we'll need one more player, probably some american guy from NCAA.

PG: Dragič, Bailey
SG: Ožbolt, Klobučar
SF: Hukič, Americanguy
C: Ilič, Begič, Rizvič

elaj
05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
PG: Aleksandar Ćapin / Maurice Bailey / Jan Močnik
Maurice Bailey still has one more year on his contract. New GM already said that they will probably keep him due to sum they would have to pay him if they would break his contract. I guess he is staying, expect if they will work something out. In my opinion Bailey can be quite usefull player. He needed quite sometime to adapt, but under Džikić he started playing better.

Jan Močnik has still three more years on his contract. I would keep him in the team as third backup, but he needs to work harder on his long range shooting.

I would add Aleksandar Ćapin (currently Panionios) on at least two years deal. In my opinion he has the quality for this level and he is also occasional Slovenian NT member.

Goran Dragič is probably leaving for TAU Ceramica. Maybe if miracle happens and Olimpija somehow gets him due to his law court... chances in my opinion close to 5%. :)

SG: Marino Baždarić / Sašo Ožbolt
Sašo Ožbolt is staying with the team. His recovery seems to be going in right direction. It will be a huge success for him if he makes a comeback, but I wouldn't expect much from him in next season. I had same knee injury as him, so believe me, if he makes a comeback I'll be the first one giving him the credit, but in my opinion he still has long way to go. I'd have him in the team as a backup.

I'd sign Marino Baždarić (currently Vive Menorca) again. He is well experienced shooter and in my opinion he would do great in Olimpija once again. He is also able to play some minutes on SF.

SF: Jasmin Hukić / Jaka Klobučar
Jasmin Hukić is close to extending his contract for another two years. He is one of the most important players in the team and I'm glad he is staying.

Jaka Klobučar (currently Geoplin Slovan) needs to be signed. I believe he can be a good backup to Hukić on SF. He is a player who is able to swing between SG/SF. He has the size for SF and also he is a great shooter so he can also play SG.

PF: Marko Milič / Miha Zupan
Both are staying. Marko Milič has two more seasons on his contract. Zupan one more season. He should be extended for another two seasons.

C: US PF/C / Hasan Rizvić / Mirza Begić
Mirza Begić has one more year on his deal, but I heard he isn't really happy with his role in the team. We will see, I'd keep him, same goes for Rizvić. Although, I'm not a big fan of him.

I'd try and bring Uroš Slokar (currently Triumph Moscow), but chances for this are low to zero. He had a decent season in Russia, so I believe he would have to lower his demads quite a lot in order to come to Olimpija and Olimpija would probably need to spend a record high salary on him (in both time).

I would try and bring Vladimir Golubović from Vojvodina and sign him on two or three years deal. In my opinion last two options aren't really realistical, but you never know, dreaming is allowed. :)

update: Bringing both Slokar and Golubović (instead of Rizvić for example) would be really sweet, but not realistical due to budget limitations. Yeah, I'm dreaming, I just heard Slokar's agent wants around 1million€ for next season. :(

If those options fail, I'd search for C/PF overseas.

COACH: Aleksandar Džikić
He already confirmed that he is about to extend his deal with Olimpija for another three seasons.

This is a team for around 2.000.000€.

In my opinion this is a team for all home titules, Finals of Adriatic League and a decent fight for TOP16 of Euroleague (with a bit luck, we might get there).

Inspector
05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
As some of already you probably know, Rizvić signed a two year contract wit the Ucrainian champions Azovmash, the same goes for Ćapin - he should sign in nex few days.

I read the interview with the new GM Dolenc on our national TV's internet site and he mentioned there is no possibility to bring any of ex Olimpija's players back. He also mentioned Močnik wouldn't stay in Olimpija, as he isn't really useful for Euroleague (I agree).

That's why probably we won't have the chance to see Ćapin, Močnik, Rizvič, Lorbek and Baždarič in the roster for the next season.

I still hope they will find a good C, Golubovič or Ilič might be great choices.

I find great the idea to bring Jure Močnik from Helios as well. He is very useful for every roster...

IMO, the roster will look like this:

PG: Bailey, Sarajlija, Vladovič (?)
SG: Ožbolt, Americanguy, Klobučar (?)
SF: Hukič, Americanguy
C: Begič, Golubovič or Ilič

Coach: Džikić

I really want to know more about Dino Murič, as I don't know this guy yet...

elaj
05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I really want to know more about Dino Murič, as I don't know this guy yet...
Dino Murič (199cm, SF/PF, 1990!) plays as loaned player from Parklji Bežigrad in TCG Mercator. Scoring maschine in youth categories (EC U16: 20.6ppg, 10.4rpg - EC U18: 16.3ppg, 7.0rpg - he played slightly injured), he is left handed forward and plays mainly on SF/PF. He needs to add better outside shoot in order to play efficiently on SF. He can nail outside shots, but in youth categories perfers to play outside-in due to physically weaker opponets. Great rebounder but still below average defender, but as I said before, he needs to adapt his style more on SF position if he wants to play on highest level.

He averaged 6.9ppg, 2.8rpg - 34 games (25mpg) in his first season in first Slovenian League with TCG Mercator.

In my opinion he should be signed, but then loaned to a team in first league which would play him decent minutes as same as he gets now in TCG Mercator.

I find great the idea to bring Jure Močnik from Helios as well. He is very useful for every roster...
Although Jure Močnik is free agent this summer I wouldn't sign him for Olimpija (I think he has signed 1+1 with Helios on his option). He will always be a small time player due to his problems with outside shoot. In my opinion very similar player to Jan, a bit bigger and stronger in drives (less explosive), but if GM said Jan can't play on this level (yet?) then in my opinion Jure also isn't capable. Also very prone to injuries...

Jan Močnik will be loaned next season to some first league team, in my opinion good decision.

Mirza Sarajlija has the future in the team in my opinion if he learns to play within the system. He is a great scorer, but at highest level he won't be able to take a shoot in every possesion as he is doing in youth categories.

vittor14
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
hello.Where I can buy one jersey of olimpija and slovenian team?thanks

elaj
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
hello.Where I can buy one jersey of olimpija and slovenian team?thanks
For Olimpija jersey http://www.union.olimpija.com/15/19/ or better, send an email to [email protected] . As for Slovenian NT jersey... a week ago I got an email (doesn't matter why) from a guy who is selling SIGNED Slovenian NT jersey, anyway his email is here: [email protected] If you want non signed, fresh from the store... here is the link http://www.kzs-zveza.si/kzs/index.php?x=4&xy=981 (send an email to [email protected] - the jersey costs like 40€)

elaj
06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
As expected, Union Olimpija extended Jasmin Hukić for two more seasons. Coach Džile should follow him soon. :)

Neozyrus
06-10-2008, 09:54 AM
just for curiosity

TAU's president said yesterday that Dragic will be in TAU's roster at least, for the first trainings of the season (the didnt dany the possibility of a new loan) - same situation as Barac - but he didnt even mentioned the law issue with Dragic. I really dont know if it was maybe finished or something.

elaj
06-10-2008, 10:00 AM
just for curiosity

TAU's president said yesterday that Dragic will be in TAU's roster at least, for the first trainings of the season (the didnt dany the possibility of a new loan) - same situation as Barac - but he didnt even mentioned the law issue with Dragic. I really dont know if it was maybe finished or something.
Ofcourse he won't mention law issues. He thinks they did nothing wrong. I also would skip such "not important" detail if I were TAU Ceramica's president. :)

As I know it's not finished yet, if it were then our press would find something out and Dragič would probably announce whose player is he exactly, same goes for Slovan's side. Law issues here in Slovenia are resolving really slow. We'll see what will happen. I hope Slovan gets his rights and Dragič signs with Olimpija. :)

Dragič went to Spain to get his medical examination as his loan contract states.

Buducnost PG
06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
As expected, Union Olimpija extended Jasmin Hukić for two more seasons. Coach Džile should follow him soon. :)

How much will he get? More then 200.000€ per season?

Neozyrus
06-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, but i remember him speaking about it, at least once during the season, so it was quite extrange for me that he "forgot" to mention it now.

Anyway i suppose that this will get resolved by TAU paying some money to Slovan but keeping his rights.

But i cant agree with u in the last part, i would like to see him playing in ACB, :D . I think he still has a great pňtential, and with minutes (as he had in Olimpija) and a coach that trusts in him and can teach him how to "control himself" in some moments of the game , he could develop in a great pg.

elaj
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
How much will he get? More then 200.000€ per season?
I'm not sure, but I think more around 250.000 - 300.000€.

Yeah, but i remember him speaking about it, at least once during the season, so it was quite extrange for me that he "forgot" to mention it now.

Anyway i suppose that this will get resolved by TAU paying some money to Slovan but keeping his rights.

But i cant agree with u in the last part, i would like to see him playing in ACB, :D . I think he still has a great pňtential, and with minutes (as he had in Olimpija) and a coach that trusts in him and can teach him how to "control himself" in some moments of the game , he could develop in a great pg.Sure, but I think a year or two in Olimpija and then going to ACB would do better to his career. We can sell him to you then, as a formed player. :)

Alyosha12
06-10-2008, 07:28 PM
A friend of mine who knows someone told me that Brezec is comming to Olimpija for 1.2mill€ and that Pečečnik will be paying for it.
I find that hard to believe however i find it much more believable then the talks of Nesterovič coming in a few years.

elaj
06-10-2008, 08:20 PM
A friend of mine who knows someone told me that Brezec is comming to Olimpija for 1.2mill€ and that Pečečnik will be paying for it.
I find that hard to believe however i find it much more believable then the talks of Nesterovič coming in a few years.
That would be amazing news, we would finally have a center under the rim. :) Last time we had a decent center was in 2000/2001 when Emilio Kovačić played in Olimpija.

Thank you Pečečnik if that's true. Those who don't know who he is... he is one of the wealthiest men in Slovenia and in last two three years he is investing in sports some huge ammounts, especially in football club Interblock. Once I remember his words that he is prepared to pay 6M$ per season to some "first class football player" when his club's new stadium will be bulit (yeah he is also building or rebuilding the fooball stadium in Ljubljana).

Still, for 1.2M€ we could get two high quality players..., anyway, that would be really something if Brezec signs with Olimpija, but still highly doubtful...let's wait and see. To be honest I don't believe anyone anything anymore (wow), it was too much nice words in last 4-5 years and nothing of that came true...

Alyosha12
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
That would be amazing news, we would finally have a center under the rim. :) Last time we had a decent center was in 2000/2001 when Emilio Kovačić played in Olimpija.

Thank you Pečečnik if that's true. Those who don't know who he is... he is one of the wealthiest men in Slovenia and in last two three years he is investing in sports some huge ammounts, especially in football club Interblock. Once I remember his words that he is prepared to pay 6M$ per season to some "first class football player" when his club's new stadium will be bulit (yeah he is also building or rebuilding the fooball stadium in Ljubljana).

Still, for 1.2M€ we could get two high quality players..., anyway, that would be really something if Brezec signs with Olimpija, but still highly doubtful...let's wait and see. To be honest I don't believe anyone anything anymore (wow), it was too much nice words in last 4-5 years and nothing of that came true...

he he my sentiments exactly.

Alyosha12
06-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Lets all pray now that we get Breza and non of this Rizvić Booker Begić crap under the basket playing the C:p

Killerbee
06-14-2008, 05:20 PM
It has been a long time since I last posted on this forum. Time to get back into discussion as offseason begins :)

IMO most important for Olimpija is to extend Džikić. Not only for his great coaching ability but also for his renome between players. That would play crucial move for Olimpija as club can't offer big bucks to players.

One comment on previously written recommendations of line-ups: Bazdarić and Hukić combination would't be really good as they are to similar players. On their position they are both not as quick players (bad for defending athletic teams) and both are shooters that need some help from teammates in form of screening to hit open shots.

My wishes would be:
- Džikić (IMO the most important factor in getting good prospects and come-back players)
- Ilievski
- one more come-back player (if Brezec thats great...if not him, somebody else with exeprience)
- Šarajlija and Sirnik have to be be put forward. I have no doubts they would be great asset to the team if Džikić stays as coach...individually he really works well with players and is not afraid to give youngsters a chance...both Sarajlija and Sirnik have ability to play on this level...first one plays on such playing position that there is no pressure on him...Sirnik on the other hand has height for his position and very long wingspan...this gives both of them some buffer when starting to play on greater level...Močnik on the other hand doesn't have such buffer...he is even handicapped by his height...so one year for example in Domžale with a lot of playing time would be of great benefit to him.
- getting some talented americans (2) with athletic ability (north or south...I don't care)...as written before by someone of you Džikić should have great connections over Atlantic
- Klobučar and D.Lorbek are probably only two of Slovenian youngsters that we can count on at EL level.

So here we go:
PG: Ilievski, Bailey? (other american?)...Dragić&Ilievski with american back-up would of course be my first option
SG: Klobučar, Ožbolt, Sarajlija
SF: Hukić, Nikola Dragović? (UCLA, 1987 - counting on Dzikić)/Branko Jorović?/D.Lorbek?
PF: Milič, Zupan, american guy/other serbian talent?
C: Brezec/Ilić, Begić

SG looks weak...depending on Ožbolt...Klobučar would IMO shine under Dzikić...but if Dragić somehow ends in Olimpija he can also play together with Ilievski in the same line-up...of course exchanging PG role.

SK#13
06-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Are there some rumors about Joksimovic? Treviso is very interested in him, but also Pesaro made an offer. Any chance for him in Olimpija? As a Benetton fan who I am, can I consider him a white&green player?

Buducnost PG
06-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Are there some rumors about Joksimovic? Treviso is very interested in him, but also Pesaro made an offer. Any chance for him in Olimpija? As a Benetton fan who I am, can I consider him a white&green player?

I only know that he signed a contract for 2 years before this season with Hemofarm. But i don´t know if it was a clear 2 years contract or a 1+1 contract. Perhaps the team that wants to sign him must pay a buyout to Hemofarm.

elaj
06-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I read an interview with Nebojša Joksimovič a month ago saying that he would like to play in Euroleague next season, but he still has one year to go with his Hemofarm so I don't think him leaving for free is realistical option. Although, I'd love to see him in Olimpija.

Union Olimpija signed Damijan Rudež (206cm, SF, 1986) from Split on 2+1 deal. They paid 60.000€ buyout to his former club Split. Great signing!

Now we have our SF position full with Rudež and Hukić.

SK#13
06-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I read an interview with Nebojša Joksimovič a month ago saying that he would like to play in Euroleague next season, but he still has one year to go with his Hemofarm so I don't think him leaving for free is realistical option. Although, I'd love to see him in Olimpija.

If Nebojsa doesn't go to Ljubljana, 300k€ for him and 200k€ to Hemofarm can be ok for buy him here in Treviso? I don't think that some EL team apart from Olimpija can give him a chance. Maybe Panionios...but they 'll probably sign Jaaber from Roma.

elaj
06-15-2008, 03:11 PM
If Nebojsa doesn't go to Ljubljana, 300k€ for him and 200k€ to Hemofarm can be ok for buy him here in Treviso? I don't think that some EL team apart from Olimpija can give him a chance. Maybe Panionios...but they 'll probably sign Jaaber from Roma.
I don't think Olimpija will go after him if there is a buyout included. We could offer him 300.000€ per season, but for sure we couldn't afford a buyout of 200.000€ or more... I think Joksimovič will stay in Hemofarm for another season and then he'll try and sign with some Euroleague team. He made a great improvement over the years in Hemofarm, he is an aggressive combo guard who can play both SG and PG if needed. In my opinion he has a very bright future.

SK#13
06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Jaka Klobucar will stay in Slovan?

elaj
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Jaka Klobucar will stay in Slovan?
Probably not due the fact that his Slovan will be playing only Slovenian championship next season...because they didn't qualify for the Adriatic League.

Olimpija will probably go after him, or already went after him. In my opinion he's ready for some backup role in Olimpija at SG/SF position.

It would be really sweet if he'd come. Olimpija's future would look bright with players like Rudež, Klobučar and let's say Golubović who is also rumoured.

SK#13
06-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Probably not due the fact that his Slovan will be playing only Slovenian championship next season...because they didn't qualify for the Adriatic League.

Olimpija will probably go after him, or already went after him. In my opinion he's ready for some backup role in Olimpija at SG/SF position.

It would be really sweet if he'd come. Olimpija's future would look bright with players like Rudež, Klobučar and let's say Golubović who is also rumoured.
OK, another player that will be really good for Treviso. He has a buyout?

elaj
06-15-2008, 08:37 PM
OK, another player that will be really good for Treviso. He has a buyout?Sure, every player has it's price.

SK#13
06-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Sure, every player has it's price.
I thought that he hasn't a contract with Slovan for next season. OK. What's the amount of the buyout?

elaj
06-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I thought that he hasn't a contract with Slovan for next season. OK. What's the amount of the buyout?
I have no clue.

BTW, is Marco Atripaldi staying as GM of Treviso? I saw him and his guys being present at Olimpija and other Slovenian games quite often. If not, who did replace him?

SK#13
06-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I have no clue.

BTW, is Marco Atripaldi staying as GM of Treviso? I saw him and his guys being present at Olimpija and other Slovenian games quite often. If not, who did replace him?
No. He was fired and came back to Biella. In Treviso now there are Enzo Lefebre as GM, Massimo Iacopini (captain of 1992 italian title and 1993 EL final) as a team manager. But in fact the real GM is the coach Oktay Mahmuti.
BTW, if Alex Bougaieff will become the back-up C of Treviso, he'll be the first signing of history born by an idea of a forum.

Inspector
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Tomorrow's meeting of Olimpija's management is transposed on autumn...

It was told they will elect the new president and confirm some new sponsors, but once again the same story... :mad:

Anyway, there will be the press conference at 17 on which they will present some reinforcements for the roster etc...

Probably they will confirm Džikić as coach and Hukić for next two years + Rudež and Mason...

ArkadiosV2
06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Olimpija will host a tournament in September 26-28 with the participation of Panathinaikos, Maccabi and maybe CSKA. :D

Inspector
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
According to eurobasket.com:

Aleksandar Dzikic extends contract with Union Olimpia on next three seasons. Dzikic came in Union Olimpia in January 2008. and played with them semi final of Adriatic league, won national Cup and Slovenian championship. Before Union Olimpia he was assistant coach in Partizan 1999-2006. As head coach he started season 2006. in Atlas banka Novi Beograd, then moved to Minesota Timberwolves 2006-2007. as assistant coach. He was head coach of Yugoslavian U17 National Team 1999.

Alyosha12
06-17-2008, 09:50 AM

Aleksandar Dzikic extends contract with Union Olimpia on next three seasons. Dzikic came in Union Olimpia in January 2008. and played with them semi final of Adriatic league, won national Cup and Slovenian championship. Before Union Olimpia he was assistant coach in Partizan 1999-2006. As head coach he started season 2006. in Atlas banka Novi Beograd, then moved to Minesota Timberwolves 2006-2007. as assistant coach. He was head coach of Yugoslavian U17 National Team 1999.

Man im liking this off season very much, things are actually happening in june instead of in september lol.

Buducnost PG
06-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Good for your team. Now you have Dule Vujosevic 2 as coach.;)

Inspector
06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Good for your team. Now you have Dule Vujosevic 2 as coach.;)

Yeah, he is a great coach, he is very popular in the team and in the management as well.

A couple of months ago Milič said: it's better to sign him now, when his price isn't that tall, than after a year or two, when he will become one of the greatest coaches in Europe... and Olimpija won't be able to pay him... :)

He is the first successful foreign coach in Olimpija...

elaj
06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, he is a great coach, he is very popular in the team and in the management as well.

A couple of months ago Milič said: it's better to sign him now, when his price isn't that tall, than after a year or two, when he will become one of the greatest coaches in Europe... and Olimpija won't be able to pay him... :)

He is the first successful foreign coach in Olimpija...
I wouldn't hype him that much. He did good job past season with bringing team togather, turning the behavior of US guys around. Team also started to play different, there were more inside game visable, more teamwork etc.

He accomplished all goals, winning Slovenian Cup and League, but that's something what is expected from Olimpija no matter what happens. He "failed" in Euroleague, but to be honest he didn't have much time at that part of the season. He joined the club three days before the decisive game in Euroleague, so this shouldn't be judged as failure.

I agree he is a good young coach, but he will have to prove himself all over again if he'll want to stay here in Olimpija.

Although, the last rumours about Olimpija negotiating with Zlatorog's PG/SG Chester "Chet the Jet" Mason give me quite some worries... just another average US guy playing in Europe, good defender, athletic can play both PG and SG, good drive, but bad shoter on other hand... he'd be solid for a backup PG, but nothing more... we'll see. I expected better Americans for 2008/2009 season.

This also probably means that Maurice Bailey won't be coming back and for that I'm quite happy about. :)

Alyosha12
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
does anyone know where i could listen in on the PC?

elaj
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Sweet. :)

Olimpija extended Sašo Ožbolt for another two years and signed Jaka Klobučar on 4 years deal.

zwbgr
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Ole! Now go hunting for C (probably they'll wait for Brezec's decision) and two, maybe three guards.

elaj
06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Ole! Now go hunting for C (probably they'll wait for Brezec's decision) and two, maybe three guards.
Considering the situation is like this:

PG: x, Bailey?, x
SG: Ožbolt, Klobučar
SF: Hukić, Rudež
C: x, x, Begić?

I think we need a starter C (Brezec?), a backup C (Golubović?), a starter PG (Ilievski? Ćapin?), a combo backup PG/SG (Mason? or Bailey staying?) and one youngster to fill the last spot (Sarajlija? Ja. Močnik?). If we assume that Maurice Bailey is leaving despite having one year to go on his contract.

They also confirmed that Radojevič (1989, C), Sarajlija (1991, PG/SG) and Sirnik (1991, SF) are staying in first team for next season. Sirnik and Sarajlija signed their first contracts for 4 seasons each.

Begić also has one more year on his contract, but there are rumours that Džikić doesn't want him for next season.

Primož Brezec will decide between 1.7. - 15.7., as for Golubović rumours... he is also waiting for NBA draft how everything will work out... we'll see if there's anything reliable about those rumours. As for Ilievski... I heard he'll come only if the other offer which he will recieve won't be much bigger than those of Olimpija.

Players of Olimpija which are under contract for next season:

Jaka Klobučar (197cm, 1987, SG) - SLO (4 years contract)
Mirza Sarajlija (186cm, 1991, PG) - SLO (4 years contract)
Matic Sirnik (200cm, 1991, SF) - SLO (4 years contract)
Dejan Radojević (213cm, 1989, C) - SLO/SRB (4 years contract)
Jasmin Hukić (204cm, 1979, SF/PF) - BIH/SLO (2 years contract)
Marko Milič (200cm, 1977, PF) - SLO (2 years contract)
Sašo Ožbolt (188cm, 1981, SG) - SLO (2 years contract)
Maurice Bailey (183cm, 1981, PG/SG) - USA (1 year contract)
Mirza Begić (220cm, 1985, C) - SLO/BIH (1 year contract)
Miha Zupan (203cm, 1981, PF/C) - SLO (1 year contract)
Damjan Rudež (205cm, 1986, SF/PF) - CRO (3 years contract)
Jan Močnik (174cm, 1987, PG) - SLO (3 years contract)

Joško Poljak Fan
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
wow :eek:... It just crossed my mind I should stop smoking weed, untill realising I did that 5 years ago and Olimpija actually did sign Džikić, Rudež, Klobučar and Ožbolt... and it's not even september...wow :eek:... i'm used to surprises when it comes to Olimpija but ussualy they weren't in a positive way...

Killerbee
06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
WOW from me too :eek:

Especially beacuse of long term contracts of Rudež, Klobučar, Šarajlija and Sirnik...nice backcourt that will be really dangerous in 2-years time.

Now we only need some additions like that also in the frontcourt...of course we need starting C...but I will be watching youth signings more closely as they are those important pieces of the team that show if this Olimpija really has a vision and is gona try to challenge for F4 in few years time as Janković once stated for the media.

Till now IMO all new signings are really well selected with lot of potential.

Also great news that Dzikić signed 3-year contract...this also looks like this team has a long term vision.

Go Zmajčki! :D

Inspector
06-20-2008, 06:03 AM

Ukrainian club Azovmash Mariupol signed Slovenian NT player Aleksandar Capin (186-G-82) on 1+1 deal. Capin started previous season in Italy where he played for Whirlpool Varese and averaged 13.3ppg, 2.9rpg, 1.9apg, 1.5spg in 15 games but moved to Greece in January '08 to sign with Panionios ON Telecoms Athens. He averaged 8.4ppg, 1.0rpg, 1.8apg in 11 games of Greek Regular Season and 6.2ppg, 1.7apg in 10 games of Greek Play-Offs.

Markoishvili
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Damjan Rudez had a great workout in Indianapolis several days ago, he could not miss a shot and described this performace "as best in his lifetime". He also performed strong couple of days later as reported by Draftexpress enchancing his chances for 2nd round selection.

Alyosha12
06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Damjan Rudez had a great workout in Indianapolis several days ago, he could not miss a shot and described this performace "as best in his lifetime". He also performed strong couple of days later as reported by Draftexpress enchancing his chances for 2nd round selection.

Do you may be know which team Dragic worked out for?
I am really interested where he worked out, but i can't dig up the info.

Inspector
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Do you may be know which team Dragic worked out for?
I am really interested where he worked out, but i can't dig up the info.

http://24ur.com/sport/kosarka/video-dragic-caka-na-nba-nabor.html

Dragič had some trainings in Phoenix and Los Angeles Lakers...
Seems like Phoenix is very interested for him...

Alyosha12
06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
http://24ur.com/sport/kosarka/video-dragic-caka-na-nba-nabor.html

Dragič had some trainings in Phoenix and Los Angeles Lakers...
Seems like Phoenix is very interested for him...

How did i manage to miss that:p
Tnx for the link:)

Inspector
07-01-2008, 08:01 AM
From an interview with Brezec (Dnevnik newspapes):

Baje ste blizu vrnitve v Union Olimpijo?

Pripravljen sem se vrniti in pogovori tečejo, imam pa tudi resno ponudbo Reala. A najprej moram počakati, kakšno bo zanimanje zame med klubi lige NBA. So pa v Tivoliju izjemno korektni. Manjka le še pika na i in verjetnost za mojo vrnitev v Olimpijo bo 90 odstotna. Džikić je pravi trener, pa tudi ekipa, ki jo imajo že zdaj, obeta. Če se vrnem in če kupijo vrhunskega organizatorja igre, kot se sliši, potem bodo vrste za karte v Tivoliju spet dolge do kioska s hamburgerji.

It seems you are prepared to return in Olimpija?

I am prepared to come back, we are negotiating, I have a serious offer from Real Madrid, but I have to wait for NBA clubs.
In Tivoli they are really fair, there are some details to define fand my return in Olimpija will be 90%. Džikić is a great coach, the roster is promising. If I come back and they will find an excellent PG as I heard, than...

elaj
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Olimpija will host a tournament in September 26-28 with the participation of Panathinaikos, Maccabi and maybe CSKA. :D
Union Olimpija Ljubljana, Panathinaikos Athens, Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Fenerbahce Ulker will be the participants of this friendly tournament. CSKA decided not to come.

Inspector
08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Vladimir Golubović finnaly signed for Olimpija! They agreed for a two years lenght deal. Theese are really good news for Olimpija!

elaj
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Good. Now we have something to "work" with, to develop. Golubović (1986), Rudež (1986), Klobučar (1987) and there are also young Sirnik (1991) and Sarajlija (1991) who also possess decent level of talent.

I hope we can afford besides Golubović a decent C/PF - probably US import and one quality PG - Ilievski is rumored already for long time, but his agent said that besides Olimpija's offer he still has to solve his situation with Siena and he is also having three good offers from Spanish ACB clubs. A starting SG would also be nice, but as I said... finances...

Joško Poljak Fan
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I am just a bit dissapointed that he signed for 2 years only. In case he pans out in the first year already that might mean we'll be searching for a new center after the next season as well.
but anyway, so far so good. It's definately much better when you only need 2-3 more players in the beggining of August, instead of having 2 man signed only in the same period.

Inspector
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Scoonie Penn is also rumoured as a possible PG for the next season and IMO he would be even a better option than Ilievski...

I would also like to see Ronell Taylor back in the roster and a PF/C like Anagonye...

elaj
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Scoonie Penn is also rumoured as a possible PG for the next season and IMO he would be even a better option than Ilievski...

I would also like to see Ronell Taylor back in the roster and a PF/C like Anagonye...
Sconnie Penn signed with BC Kiev a week ago already. ;)

Penn was after money, that's why he decided to sign in Ukraine. I don't want such player. I believe Ilievski is much better option than him. He is connected to Slovenia via his wife who is daughter of a management guy of Olimpija (Vilfan), besides that, he has Slovenian citizenship, speaks fluent Slovenian etc. He knows what it means to play in Olimpija and he'd give his maximum every game.

Inspector
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Sconnie Penn signed with BC Kiev a week ago already. ;)

Penn was after money, that's why he decided to sign in Ukraine. I don't want such player. I believe Ilievski is much better option than him. He is connected to Slovenia via his wife who is daughter of a management guy of Olimpija (Vilfan), besides that, he has Slovenian citizenship, speaks fluent Slovenian etc. He knows what it means to play in Olimpija and he'd give his maximum every game.

I didn't know that... :D

Ok, maybe you're right...;)

Well, now we can hope Ilievski will come to us instead in one of the Spanish clubs, although I doubt he is really that close to Olimpija as some are trying to show... As Igor Dolenc (Olimpija's GM) said, there is another PG very close to sign, but he didn't want to reveal his name...

I'm really interested in what will happen with Maurice Bailey and Mirza Begič...

elaj
08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm really interested in what will happen with Maurice Bailey and Mirza Begič...As far as I know the situation, both will stay in the club because they have vaild contracts and they don't want to break them via mutual agreement. It would cost Olimpija too much to part ways with both of them one sided.

As I said, I expect another low post player, probably US import, a PG (Ilievski?) and maybe, if there will be some money left in the budget a SG.

So far, I am satisfied with the roster picks.

Inspector
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
As far as I know the situation, both will stay in the club because they have vaild contracts and they don't want to break them via mutual agreement. It would cost Olimpija too much to part ways with both of them one sided.

As I said, I expect another low post player, probably US import, a PG (Ilievski?) and maybe, if there will be some money left in the budget a SG.

So far, I am satisfied with the roster picks.

As I noticed so far, all the new comers in Olimpija (Klobučar, Rudež, Golubovič) were rumoured already during the season, before Džikić came, so I guess their signings weren't influenced by him...

I think it's time to sign also someone from his "list"... probably an US guy...

Inspector
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
http://www.siol.net/sportal.aspx

Another very good news for Olimpija - Ilievski is very close to sign... :)

Afterthat they will start looking for an excellent SG!

As Dolenc (Olimpija's GM) mentioned, there are several quality players who are offering themselves to Olimpija which indicate the club is acquiring back trust and respect after a very obscure period...

I can't believe, things are really turning good... :)

Joško Poljak Fan
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
after the last 5-6 years... yeah... things turning out for the better and things actualy running "normal" in the offseason seems as a fairytale... hard to believe it's true.
Being a cynic I have to add that things did look bright occasionaly in that period and got ruined later on during the season, but looking at all of this now... this season might actually work. And after all Olimpija's fans have been through in the last few years, nothing can harm us really.

Lookin forward to that SG they're talking about. Considering they're all emntioning the word "quality" I'd expect a SG in the range somewhere between 200-300.000 € and you can get a really decent NCAA player for that ammount...

Penn was practicaly an option every season since he played for Trieste in it's last LegaUno season and caught Sagadin's eye back than. I prefer getting a fresh player instead, someone out of NCAA or some talented european SG.

elaj
08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
after the last 5-6 years... yeah... things turning out for the better and things actualy running "normal" in the offseason seems as a fairytale... hard to believe it's true.
Being a cynic I have to add that things did look bright occasionaly in that period and got ruined later on during the season, but looking at all of this now... this season might actually work. And after all Olimpija's fans have been through in the last few years, nothing can harm us really.
I'm a bit worried, because if I understand our GM's words correctly, he considers Golubović as starting C and we will sign only two more players - one on SG and on PG (Ilievski), which would mean that Begić will be backup center and young (1989 born) Radojević will be the second backup (he had some troubles with knee injuries during last season and skipped almost all games).

Lookin forward to that SG they're talking about. Considering they're all emntioning the word "quality" I'd expect a SG in the range somewhere between 200-300.000 € and you can get a really decent NCAA player for that ammount...
For that kind of money (300.000€ = around 450.000$) you can easly get a player like Carl English for example (of that quality/reputation, not him, I don't like him :D) (his agent was offering him for 400.000$ for next season).

Alyosha12
08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm a bit worried, because if I understand our GM's words correctly, he considers Golubović as starting C and we will sign only two more players - one on SG and on PG (Ilievski), which would mean that Begić will be backup center and young (1989 born) Radojević will be the second backup (he had some troubles with knee injuries during last season and skipped almost all games).

I bet they are thinking they can play some minutes with Zupan at the 5 and Milič at the 4. Putting Zupan at the 5 worked for Pipan(well if you don't count that we lost haha) this year.

Inspector
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.zurnal24.si/union-olimpijad-vlado-ilievski-pogodba-poljo/sport/kosarka/61585

Ilievski is 90% Olimpija's, they should sign in next few days...

Mira Poljo (Ilievski and Ožbolt agent) is offering two additional players on the C/PF and SG positions.

Here is the list of her clients: http://www.eurobasket.com/agency.asp?AgentNm=Poljo%20Mira&AgencyNm=World%20Sport%20Agency

elaj
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.zurnal24.si/union-olimpijad-vlado-ilievski-pogodba-poljo/sport/kosarka/61585

Mira Poljo (Ilievski and Ožbolt agent) is offering two additional players on the C/PF and SG positions.

Here is the list of her clients: http://www.eurobasket.com/agency.asp?AgentNm=Poljo%20Mira&AgencyNm=World%20Sport%20Agency
I doubt this list is correct. Agents are changing their clients on yearly basis, while this list wasn't updated for long time, in my opinion. Although, I wouldn't mind if she offers them Rick Apodaca (although I think he has one more year to go with Besiktas?) from that list. :)

Inspector
08-07-2008, 10:45 AM

From the list, mentioned in the link above, IMO only those players could be interesting for Olimpija:

Afif Jean-Paul
206 F 80 LEB-USA Dallas D. (USA-PBL)
Gainey Tim
198 F 82 USA Warrnambool (Australia)
Kojadinovic Feliks
197 G 79 SRB-BIH Cherkasy (Ukraine)
Massie Chris
206 F 77 USA Ashkelon (Israel)
Medunjanin Emir
201 G/F 81 Bosnian Sacramento St. (USA-NCAA)
Moten Lawrence
196 G/F 73 USA Maryland N. (USA-PBL)

elaj
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
From the list, mentioned in the link above, IMO only those players could be interesting for Olimpija:

Afif Jean-Paul
206 F 80 LEB-USA Dallas D. (USA-PBL)
Gainey Tim
198 F 82 USA Warrnambool (Australia)
Kojadinovic Feliks
197 G 79 SRB-BIH Cherkasy (Ukraine)
Massie Chris
206 F 77 USA Ashkelon (Israel)
Medunjanin Emir
201 G/F 81 Bosnian Sacramento St. (USA-NCAA)
Moten Lawrence
196 G/F 73 USA Maryland N. (USA-PBL)
You are joking, right? :)

Inspector
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
You are joking, right? :)

In a way I am... :eek:

elaj
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Vlado Ilievski officially signed for two seasons.

Olimpija also started their preparations for next season today. Rudež, Ilievski, Golubović are still missing due to NT stuff. Hukić should also soon join his NT.

One guard is still to be signed. Istvan Nemeth is rumored.

Under contract with Union Olimpija:
Mirza Sarajlija (186cm, 1991, PG) - SLO (4 years contract)
Matic Sirnik (200cm, 1991, SF) - SLO (4 years contract)
Dejan Radojević (213cm, 1989, C) - SLO/SRB (4 years contract)
Jasmin Hukić (204cm, 1979, SF/PF) - BIH/SLO (2 years contract)
Marko Milič (200cm, 1977, PF) - SLO (2 years contract)
Sašo Ožbolt (188cm, 1981, SG) - SLO (2 years contract)
Maurice Bailey (183cm, 1981, PG/SG) - USA (1 year contract)
Mirza Begić (220cm, 1985, C) - SLO/BIH (1 year contract)
Miha Zupan (203cm, 1981, PF/C) - SLO (1 year contract)
Damjan Rudež (205cm, 1986, SF/PF) - CRO (3 years contract)
Vlado Ilievski (190cm, 1980, PG) - FYROM/SLO (2 years contract)
Vladimir Golubović (212cm, 1986, C) - MNT (2 years contract)

Inspector
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Olimpija inked Johnatan Wallace (http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/6159/?UnionOlimpija=jvtrs8o89cb1fsbuhqemfr7co1) for one season.

RuleBook
08-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Olimpija inked Johnatan Wallace (http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/6159/?UnionOlimpija=jvtrs8o89cb1fsbuhqemfr7co1) for one season.

They've also signed Tyler Crawford from Georgetown.

http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/?UnionOlimpija=m061733b12dr4ij9g451n7v4v7

elaj
08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
They've also signed Tyler Crawford from Georgetown.

http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/?UnionOlimpija=m061733b12dr4ij9g451n7v4v7
They didn't. They have him for a try-out, but as I heard there low chances that he'll stay. As I heard he is a very bulked up SG/SF, great defender and rebounder, hardworking and cool guy, but very limited in offense.

RuleBook
08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
They didn't. They have him for a try-out, but as I heard there low chances that he'll stay. As I heard he is a very bulked up SG/SF, great defender and rebounder, hardworking and cool guy, but very limited in offense.

Thanks for the heads up..unfortunately I don't know Slovenian :D and assumed it meant they signed him too. Doesn't suprised me that he has lower chances--he's a very hardworking/physically strong player but like you said isn't a very refined player on offense.

Jon Wallace on the other hand could be a very nice player for them (Do you believe he'll get much playing time?).

elaj
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up..unfortunately I don't know Slovenian :D and assumed it meant they signed him too. Doesn't suprised me that he has lower chances--he's a very hardworking/physically strong player but like you said isn't a very refined player on offense.

Jon Wallace on the other hand could be a very nice player for them (Do you believe he'll get much playing time?).
Wallace is supposed to be a backup point guard, he'll be playing behind Ilievski. I suppose he'll get around 15-25mpg.

I saw some NCAA tapes from Wallace this days, and also heard some first thoughts from Olimpija... he seems to be an incredible shooter, but very "soft" player. Very inteligent and hardworking guy, though.

RuleBook
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Wallace is supposed to be a backup point guard, he'll be playing behind Ilievski. I suppose he'll get around 15-25mpg.

I saw some NCAA tapes from Wallace this days, and also heard some first thoughts from Olimpija... he seems to be an incredible shooter, but very "soft" player. Very inteligent and hardworking guy, though.

I've watched him a ton (Georgetown is my favorite team at any level so I've probably seen over 80-90 games of him) so I can add some bits.

He is a great shooter--from the line, three and two--he had some crazy efficiency numbers his junior year. He's also very smart (like a second coach on the floor) and is a solid passer (especially because he was essentially the point of Georgetown's princeton offense variant).

That said, I guess he is somewhat 'soft' though we might have different definitions of it. He'll stick his nose in for the ball and will play disciplined defense to the point that he'll evade screens/picks and is willing to take the bumps etc. However, he is limited athletically and has trouble keeping quicker players in front of him so he can leave his big men out to dry. While he worked on and has improved his penetrating and his ability to use it for lay ups and mid range, its still a weakness as he's again limited by his lack of athleticism. He's also not that tall a point guard so physically he'll struggle versus some bigger guards.

He's probably benefit from playing in a structured, half court offense considering his speed and his abilities (I don't whether Olimpija will play that way) but he can also handle the press reasonably well.

Above all though, like you mentioned, he's a very hard worker (its probably the reason why he even made a summer league roster) and can be a very good role player for a good team that is looking to make a run in league play/eurobasket.

Fish
08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Gtreat info man, thanks. Now we are all even more excited to finally see him play in the strong opening tournament in few weeks.

elaj
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Maurice Bailey was mutually released from the club.

Current roster situation:

PG: Vlado Ilievski - Jonathan Wallace - Mirza Sarajlija
SG: Jaka Klobučar - Sašo Ožbolt
SF: Jasmin Hukić - Damjan Rudež - Matic Sirnik
PF: Marko Milič - Miha Zupan
C: Vladimir Golubović - Mirza Begić - Dejan Radojević

One more SG and the roster is complete... maybe Begić will also leave and one other C will come... it depends on a lot of things - most of all, money.

elaj
08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm posting it here too, although there aren't many Serbian speaking members here... ;) Interview with coach Džikić, discussing about many things, firstly about Olimpija, then about his views on NBA basketball, European basketball, Olympic Games etc. To me personally, it's a joy listening to his explainations - point of views.

1st part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBMiCQUGoII

2nd part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVXZcA4FoE

3rd part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attZdpsQLck

4th part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_F5J6LdwU

5th part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQTIhjTCaE

6th part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcTQ-PwWGqY

Alyosha12
08-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm posting it here too, although there aren't many Serbian speaking members here... ;) Interview with coach Džikić, discussing about many things, firstly about Olimpija, then about his views on NBA basketball, European basketball, Olympic Games etc. To me personally, it's a joy listening to his explainations - point of views.

1st part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBMiCQUGoII

2nd part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVXZcA4FoE

3rd part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attZdpsQLck

4th part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_F5J6LdwU

5th part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQTIhjTCaE

6th part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcTQ-PwWGqY

Great guy, awesome interview.

boki
08-31-2008, 07:38 AM
Đikić mentioned through the words, that it would be great honour for him to be coach of slovenian NT. I really think, that he would be the best option for us right know. He knows basketball, he is great character, he is not pussy (unlike Pipan), so let's bring him over.

Markoishvili
09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Maurice Bailey was mutually released from the club.

Current roster situation:

SG: Jaka Klobučar - Sašo Ožbolt

One more SG and the roster is complete... maybe Begić will also leave and one other C will come... it depends on a lot of things - most of all, money.

I hope they sign some experienced SG, since Ozbolt is big if and i don`t think Klobucar is good enough for major role at Euroleague level just yet. Seems like a good halfcourt team, with good inside presence - Milic and Golubovic are active on offensive glass, some very good outside shooters (Hukic, Rudez, Ilievski) and severe lack of quickness and slashing ability. Olimpija will need to play slow, grind-it-out kind of basketball to put themselves in position to succeed. Ilievski is half a step slower than he was in his first stint with Olimpija and settles more for jumper than driving, but he is still very good option at the point. Rudez is also sound signing, as he is good athlete with very good outside shot. He should improve his understanding of the game under Dzikic. I like Wallace, but don`t know how much he suits Olimpija. He is similar to Ilievski, while i think change of pace, instant offense guard would be better to bring of the bench. Golubovic is also very good signing at center, he is hard-working with solid phsycal tools, good motor and plays within him limitations.

Olimpija did good considering how much money they could spend. That will still probably not be enough for them to advance to the Top 16, but it was imporant for them that they put some core together to build further for the next season.

I hope Saso Ozbolt finally stays healthy, he was one of more promising european guards before injury.

elaj
09-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I hope they sign some experienced SG, since Ozbolt is big if and i don`t think Klobucar is good enough for major role at Euroleague level just yet.
There is no serious money left to spend, so the SG will most likely be a signing from NCAA. They are looking for athletic defensive stopper who can hit an open three pointer, ofcourse within the budget range.

As far as I saw and heard, Tyler Crawford suits this description...

Džikić said that they will try to play fast basketball with a lot of fast breaks and try to execute the offense within first 8-10 seconds if possible.

Ožbolt and him have a special relationship... he won't rush him, Ožbolt will play when he will say that he is ready to play. I believe we won't see much of him during first few months.

Đorđe Mičić (200cm, 1993, SG/SF) also joined the team. There are still few bureaucratical stuff to solve around his official signing. Džikić said that he is a very promising youngster.

RuleBook
09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Somebody on the most popular Georgetown Forum posted the following blurb about two exhibitions with the new players. It understandably pays a little more attention to the Gtown guys:

http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/6189/
Internet assisted translation:

After another friendly contest

Caption under JWall photo: Wallace plays well in Ljubljana.

Union Olimpija behind closed doors already played two friendly contests. In the first the Dragons had a large advantage over Elektre, and the Ljubljanians also won the second against Skofja Loka.
In the contest with Skofja Loka, leading scorers were Begic (19 points, 13 rebounds), Wallace (15 points), Zupan (13 points), Crawford (11 points, 5 rebounds), Rudez (11 points, 8 rebounds), Ilievski led the team with 5 assists. The Ljubljanians now travel to Zadar where on Friday and Saturday they will play Avzomašem and Ural Greatom.

The two teams they played are Slovenian teams. Zadar is in Croatia, but the two teams Union Olimpija will play appear to be Azovmash of Ukraine and Ural Great of Russia. Both are Eurocup teams. Khalid El-Amin plays for Azovmash.

elaj
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Somebody on the most popular Georgetown Forum posted the following blurb about two exhibitions with the new players. It understandably pays a little more attention to the Gtown guys:

http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/6189/
Internet assisted translation:

After another friendly contest

Caption under JWall photo: Wallace plays well in Ljubljana.

Union Olimpija behind closed doors already played two friendly contests. In the first the Dragons had a large advantage over Elektre, and the Ljubljanians also won the second against Skofja Loka.
In the contest with Skofja Loka, leading scorers were Begic (19 points, 13 rebounds), Wallace (15 points), Zupan (13 points), Crawford (11 points, 5 rebounds), Rudez (11 points, 8 rebounds), Ilievski led the team with 5 assists. The Ljubljanians now travel to Zadar where on Friday and Saturday they will play Avzomašem and Ural Greatom.

The two teams they played are Slovenian teams. Zadar is in Croatia, but the two teams Union Olimpija will play appear to be Azovmash of Ukraine and Ural Great of Russia. Both are Eurocup teams. Khalid El-Amin plays for Azovmash.
Yes, they played two closed for public friendlies. They trashed both teams (low level teams) for around 20-30 points and Wallace played good in both games. As I heard he scored around 20 points in first game and 15 in second. He is getting a lot of minutes and is basically our starting point guard in friendlies as Ilievski went to join his FYROM NT to play qualifiers for EC2009. He'll return on 21.9.2008. They are also without Golubović who is missing due same reasons.

Crawford is also showing his decent defensive skills and surprisingly also producing a bit on offense. More to come on Friday and Saturday when they play two friendlies against quite decent teams (Ukrainian Azovmash and Russian Ural Great). So far good.

I see we are getting a lot of attention from Gtown fans. :)

RuleBook
09-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, they played two closed for public friendlies. They trashed both teams (low level teams) for around 20-30 points and Wallace played good in both games. As I heard he scored around 20 points in first game and 15 in second. He is getting a lot of minutes and is basically our starting point guard in friendlies as Ilievski went to join his FYROM NT to play qualifiers for EC2009. He'll return on 21.9.2008. They are also without Golubović who is missing due same reasons.

Crawford is also showing his decent defensive skills and surprisingly also producing a bit on offense. More to come on Friday and Saturday when they play two friendlies against quite decent teams (Ukrainian Azovmash and Russian Ural Great). So far good.

Wallace playing well doesn't surprise me and I knew Crawford is a solid to plus defender, but I am a bit surprised at Crawford's offense. Crawford does have a pretty solid set shot-particularly from three and I guess that with a decent number of minutes he could put in some points. It looks like I'll be a diehard Olimpija fan this year :D (with the added bonus that they seem to be run better than my favorite NBA team, the knicks).

Are Azovmash and Ural Great still teams they should beat even though they are missing two starters?

RuleBook
09-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I see we are getting a lot of attention from Gtown fans. :)

Definitely..Olimpija's Washington DC fanbase might have doubled!

elaj
09-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Wallace playing well doesn't surprise me and I knew Crawford is a solid to plus defender, but I am a bit surprised at Crawford's offense. Crawford does have a pretty solid set shot-particularly from three and I guess that with a decent number of minutes he could put in some points. It looks like I'll be a diehard Olimpija fan this year :D (with the added bonus that they seem to be run better than my favorite NBA team, the knicks).

Are Azovmash and Ural Great still teams they should beat even though they are missing two starters?
Yes, I think we should be able to beat them, but you know friendlies... the result is not important, coaches care more about how the team looks on the court.

You should check www.olimpija.tv - clip "Predstavljamo: Jonathan Wallace" (Representing: Jonathan Wallace) if you didn't see it yet and "Union Olimpija obiskala AND1" (Union Olimpija visited And1), that was taken from Wallace's first practise when he came here while the second clip is showing some Crawford action on the practise in first minutes.

As for the pictures, just check the news.. there are some photos from some sponsor events and so on. ;)

Alyosha12
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, I think we should be able to beat them, but you know friendlies... the result is not important, coaches care more about how the team looks on the court.

You should check www.olimpija.tv - clip "Predstavljamo: Jonathan Wallace" (Representing: Jonathan Wallace) if you didn't see it yet and "Union Olimpija obiskala AND1" (Union Olimpija visited And1), that was taken from Wallace's first practise when he came here while the second clip is showing some Crawford action on the practise in first minutes.

As for the pictures, just check the news.. there are some photos from some sponsor events and so on. ;)

I wanna be a basketball player in Olimpija too, and just go to a store and get everything i want for free:p

elaj
09-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Olimpija lost their friendly against Azovmash (this was Olimpija's third preparation game, still missing two main guys - Golubović and Ilievski) 66:77. Young Sarajlija (1991!) scored 12 points for Olimpija, Zupan added 9 while Crawford, Rudež and Klobučar added each 8 points. Begić, Milič, Hukić, Radojević and Wallace also played, but no stats about them yet. Sirnik and Ožbolt didn't play.

Olimpija won their friendly against Ural Great 77:68. Begić had 22 points, Hukić 15, Milič 9, Wallace 8, Crawford 5, Ožbolt 5.

Olimpija won also against Cedetiva Zagreb 94:76. Begić had 33 points and 11 rebounds (WTF!?), Rudež added 15, Milič 14, Hukić 14.

Inspector
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.union.olimpija.com/4/11/6229/?UnionOlimpija=oplfph00qp3ldpcarm09cqndm3

I can't understand what happened to Begič... :D After having scored 22 pts against Ural Great, he scored today 33 pts and had 11 rebound against Cedevita (a team from the Croatian league). Last year he wasn't able to score 5 pts in the slovenian championship and now he is showing an amazing progress... I would like to see him playing now, as I still can't believe...

I hope he continues with such performance for the whole season...

Joško Poljak Fan
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I think we'd all be happy with only half of that as well :)

centers ussually take time for progress, let's do hope Begić can now contribute in the next season.

elaj
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd be happy if he can add something like 6pts+4rbs+1blk every game. :)

RuleBook
09-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Hello everyone!

I've heard the team played in a tournament with high profile European teams recently--teams like Panathinaikos, Maccabi and Fenerbahce?

Any results, statistics, opinions, evaluations?

Thanks!

Joško Poljak Fan
09-28-2008, 12:30 PM
There are comments about this tournament in this thread (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=7635&page=20) you might want to check out. :)

You're probably interested in both Georgetown guys. Wallace seems a bit reserved at this moment, still doesn't have any troubles with ballhandling and obviously can nail a threepointer. He said he has a lot to learn, which generaly is an apreciated attitude when it comes to US "right out of NCAA" players.
Crawford didn't receive that much playing time, but played well in those few minutes... I am staying optimistic regarding both of them. Wallace should maybee tighten up in defense a little bit, while both had some troubles with passing set screens. (...afterall... who doesn't vs. Batiste and Peković)
Anyway, these are observations from Fenerbahce and Panathinaikos games which are one of the best teams in europe with the best players outside NBA and considering all those differences, cultural shock and all other issues NCAA players have to adapt when starting their career in europe it wouldn't be fair to evaluate them in one of their first appearances in eruoe-bball and especially vs. such a strong teams.

elaj
09-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Hello everyone!

I've heard the team played in a tournament with high profile European teams recently--teams like Panathinaikos, Maccabi and Fenerbahce?

Any results, statistics, opinions, evaluations?

Thanks!
Union Olimpija won the tournament hosted in Ljubljana (Slovenia) with two wins and one loss.

http://img.siol.net/08/272/633582318929638012_union_olimpija_2_080928_vp.jpg

Union Olimpija : Fenerbahce Ülker 74:57 (53:43, 30:33, 17:10)
Union Olimpija: Wallace 3, Ilievski 12 (2:2), Golubović 2, Crawford, Rudež 12 (8:14), Milič 18 (4:5), Hukić 14 (2:2), Begić 11 (3:4), Sarajlija, Sirnik, Zupan 2, Ožbolt.
Fenerbahce Ülker: Green 5 (2:2), Turkcan 7, Basak 5, Giriček 15 (9:9), Mršić 3, Vidmar 6 (4:10), Demirel, Demir, Savas 10 (3:4), Smith 6, Cetin, Preldžič.

Union Olimpija : Panathinaikos 71:83 (25:15, 43:36, 55:62)
Union Olimpija: Wallace 12, Ilievski 5, Golubović 6 (0:1), Crawford 9 (3:4), Rudež 12 (4:5), Milič 13 (3:4), Hukić, Begić 9 (3:5), Sarajlija, Sirnik, Zupan 3 (1:2), Ožbolt 2 (2:2).
Panathinaikos: Kecman 6 (1:4), Spanulis 10 (2:2), Perperoglu 11 (2:2), Batiste 10 (2:2), Fotsis 11, Nicholas 16, Sartaris 7 (0:2), Diamantidis 2, Peković 8 (4:4), Šakota 1 (1:2), Jasikevičius.

Union Olimpija : Maccabi Tel Aviv 83:81 (27:15, 48:29, 68:55).
Union Olimpija: Wallace, Ilievski 15 (6:6), Golubović 16 (6:8), Crawford, Rudež 14 (4:4), Milič 17 (4:4), Begić 9 (1:1), Sarajlija, Sirnik, Zupan 4 (2:2), Ožbolt 8.
Maccabi Tel Aviv: White 10 (2:2), Sharp, Arroyo 15 (4:4), Eliyahu 17 (1:1), Green, Burstein 7 (3:3), Simmons 2, Williams 4, Casspi 16, Batista 6 (4:6), Fischer 4.

Georgetown guys need at least one or two more months to adapt to European style of basketball, in my opinion. Wallace showed himself in a bit too soft way for my taste, while Crawford didn't do much (didn't get much minutes) to judge him yet.

Wallace will be a solid backup to our main playmaker Vlado Ilievski, but I expect from Wallace to be more aggressive in defense and also contribute more to the offense of the team. I had a feeling that he was very nervous, probably due the fact that he was first time playing at this kind of level - inexperience, but still, he should have been more dangerous for the basket.

Crawford will sign (or already signed) a two months contract in upcoming days (Jaka Klobučar (SG/SF is out with an injury for two months).

Preparation games are over, Union Olimpija played 10 games, won 8, lost 2 of them.

Union Olimpija - Elektra Esotech 86:66
Union Olimpija - Azovmash Mariupol 66:77
Union Olimpija - Ural Great 77:68
Union Olimpija - Cedevita Zagreb 94:76
Union Olimpija - Triumph Moscow Region 66:55
Union Olimpija - Rudar Velenje 79:72
Union Olimpija - Helios Domžale 67:56
Union Olimpija - Fenerbahce Ulker 74:57
Union Olimpija - Panathinaikos Athens 71:83
Union Olimpija - Maccabi Tel Aviv 83:81

During this time Union Olimpija also won Slovenian Supercup (game vs. Helios Domžale), but this still counts as an "unofficial" trophy, so it's included into preparation plan.

Roster for 2008/2009 season:

SG: Sašo Ožbolt - Jaka Klobučar - Tyler Crawford

Alyosha12
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Its really amazing what Džikic was able to do with Begić in only one off season simply amazing he is like a different player.

Also i love the fire power Olimpija added with Ilievski, Golubovič and Rudež. Last year we only had Milič and Hukič. Also i feel that Wallace and Crawford are playing scared still when they get more comfortable with their roles they will be good. Wallace can really knock down some shots, and Crawford is useful in a lot of different ways be it hustle on defense or getting the offensive board i like what i saw in the limited minutes.

Also Ožbolt did some great stuff on defense and i loved the 1 3 1 zone from Olimpija it was fierce.

I am definitely buying my season euroleague tickets in advance because i have a feeling that we are gonna win some games and every time Olimpija is wining its impossible to get good tickets.

MarkoMilic
09-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I am a Fenerbahce fan but i also like Olimpija team, they are one of my favourites in European basketball. That is a little bit about Milic and mostly about the things and the way that they are trying to do... NBA is not the only threat for European basketball any more, budgets and salaries are also going crazy in Europe. European basketball needs teams like Olimpija, Zalgiris, Cibona or Partizan. Olimpija seems really strong this year, the most exciting Olimpija team in recent years... They have a good mixture of youngsters like Rudez, Golubovic and Klobucar and experienced names like Milic, Hukic and Ilievski. It will be quite difficult this time to support them due to being in the same group with Fenerbahce but i hope both will qualify for the next round. :) Milic has lots of fans here and i really know many people that have same ideas with me about Olimpija and Milic. It will be interesting to see him in Turkey again, as i said, he still has lots of fans here and the owner of this post is just one of them...

Markoishvili
09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
There are rumours that Olimpija will loan Romel Beck from Zadar.

elaj
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't see that happening (money wise I don't think Olimpija can afford him), but if he comes and doesn't cause any problmes in the lockerroom he'll be an amazing signing. He'd be an amazing solution for our SG problems and that would mean that Crawford is leaving.

With him and good chemistry in the team TOP16 of Euroleague would be more than just possibility.

AlbionGate
10-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Goran Bodiroga (1993) is playing in Olimpija junior team. He is from Trebinje (Bosnia) and he has family links with Dejan Bodiroga.
The promissing Djordje Micic (1993) is also a Serb from Bosnia.

Will they decide to play for Bosnia, Serbia or Slovenia (such as the young serbian center Radojevic who was due to play the last U20 european championship, but missed it cause he was injured)?
The fact that Olimpija's coach is serb (Dzikic), so if they are very talented, serbian federation will probably call them.

Srle
10-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Micic will play for Slovenian cadets:rolleyes:

elaj
10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Goran Bodiroga (1993) is playing in Olimpija junior team. He is from Trebinje (Bosnia) and he has family links with Dejan Bodiroga.
The promissing Djordje Micic (1993) is also a Serb from Bosnia.

Will they decide to play for Bosnia, Serbia or Slovenia (such as the young serbian center Radojevic who was due to play the last U20 european championship, but missed it cause he was injured)?
The fact that Olimpija's coach is serb (Dzikic), so if they are very talented, serbian federation will probably call them.
Mičić already played for U16 BiH NT (U16 doesn't count so he can still be called for Serbian U18).

It's interesting, Olimpija junior team also has besides those two already mentioned Bosnian Filip Petrović (1993) (already played for U16 BiH NT), Tomas Selmani (Albanian from Kosovo!), Erjon Kastrati (Albanian from Kosovo!), Tomasz Nowakowski (Polish), Mladen Lončarević (don't know where he is from), Bojan Radulović (Serbian), etc.

We "imported" quite some players from Balkan area, probably due to Dragan Janjić who works as Olimpija's scout (Serbian scout). We'll see if we manage to produce any quality players for first team...

Micic will play for Slovenian cadets:rolleyes:Could happen, why not? :)

MarkoMilic
10-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Turkbasket.com wrote that Union Olimpija (and also Red Star) interested in signing of Capo d'Orlando player Drake Diener. Is there anything about it?

Edit: Sorry, i didn't see that Elaj wrote about it on EL thread. Most probably the source of Turkbasket was his post. :)

Veliki_AS
10-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Mičić already played for U16 BiH NT (U16 doesn't count so he can still be called for Serbian U18).

It's interesting, Olimpija junior team also has besides those two already mentioned Bosnian Filip Petrović (1993) (already played for U16 BiH NT), Tomas Selmani (Albanian from Kosovo!), Erjon Kastrati (Albanian from Kosovo!), Tomasz Nowakowski (Polish), Mladen Lončarević (don't know where he is from), Bojan Radulović (Serbian), etc.

We "imported" quite some players from Balkan area, probably due to Dragan Janjić who works as Olimpija's scout (Serbian scout). We'll see if we manage to produce any quality players for first team...

Could happen, why not? :)

Cut a crap:D

I am reading this forum from time to time and I have noticed that you always write some total nonsense and try to pursue other that idea in your head is a fact.

Thomas Selmani is from Postojna where he played for clubs U-14 selection. Any idiot who follows slovenian pre-selection in younger categories knows that.

Except you:o

As far as I know, Djordje Micic didn't play for Olimpija juniors against Ilirija juniors on Wednesday. In 1. slovenian junior league you can have 2 players with special status (in other terms foreign players:rolleyes: ).

Most of those guys probably will never play for senior team. Just a small hint, Ilirija junior team has registrated similar former Olimpija prospect Pandi Bukleski (last year already candidate for U18 macedonian selection) , who is now probably injured.

elaj
10-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Cut a crap:D
You are always welcome to share your opinion and if you know better... just share it. On behalf of IBN I'm inviting you to become a regular poster on this forum... ;)

As far as I know, Djordje Micic didn't play for Olimpija juniors against Ilirija juniors on Wednesday. In 1. slovenian junior league you can have 2 players with special status (in other terms foreign players:rolleyes: ).
Again, I heard (again, this is not confirmed, but you as such expert should know such stuff, right?!) FIBA is making some problems with his transfer, but Mičić is already in Ljubljana practising with the team.

Thomas Selmani is from Postojna where he played for clubs U-14 selection. Any idiot who follows slovenian pre-selection in younger categories knows that.
I was speaking with Olimpija official about Selmani and other guys (I don't follow much U14 selection, I would like to though?) and he said he is Albanian from Kosovo, if he isn't I guess even in Olimpija they don't know who are they having in the club. ;)

Except you:o
Yeah, I am really ashamed of my U14 knowledge. :)

I am reading this forum from time to time and I have noticed that you always write some total nonsense and try to pursue other that idea in your head is a fact.
Hey, I try to be informative and if you have better informations than me post them for god sake! Change my opinion. I am just sharing my opinion/informations with others, is that something wrong about?

Turkbasket.com wrote that Union Olimpija (and also Red Star) interested in signing of Capo d'Orlando player Drake Diener. Is there anything about it?

Edit: Sorry, i didn't see that Elaj wrote about it on EL thread. Most probably the source of Turkbasket was his post. :)
My source wasn't Turkbasket... but anyway, Olimpija denied interest in Diener, they said they were interested, but player wanted too much money.

MarkoMilic
10-03-2008, 12:41 PM
My source wasn't Turkbasket... but anyway, Olimpija denied interest in Diener, they said they were interested, but player wanted too much money.

No, i meant that Turkbasket most probably used your post and made a new about Drake Diener...

elaj
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
No, i meant that Turkbasket used your post and made a new about Drake Diener...Yeah, I didn't read your post carefully, this Veliki AS needed my full attention. :D

RuleBook
10-05-2008, 09:35 PM
So what's the deal? How do you guys feel this year's team compares to last year?

Anybody getting any vibes from preseason--is there a chance at the Slovenian Champ or Euroleague Championship this year? :D

elaj
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
So what's the deal? How do you guys feel this year's team compares to last year?

Anybody getting any vibes from preseason--is there a chance at the Slovenian Champ or Euroleague Championship this year? :D
Wallace and Crawford had terrible first game... and I mean terrible. Whole team played like crap.

As for Slovenian championship.. it shouldn't be a problem winning it, that's something that is expected from Olimpija over the years already, also top4 of Adriatic League is widely expected.... Euroleague, we'll be happy if they go to TOP16.

www.adriaticbasket.com - more informations

RuleBook
10-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Wallace and Crawford had terrible first game... and I mean terrible. Whole team played like crap.

As for Slovenian championship.. it shouldn't be a problem winning it, that's something that is expected from Olimpija over the years already, also top4 of Adriatic League is widely expected.... Euroleague, we'll be happy if they go to TOP16.

www.adriaticbasket.com - more informations

Thanks for the link--I see they won their second game which is nice.

Does the first loss mean they might struggle to make the top 4 in the Adriatic League? And judging from the site, is Partizan the league favorite?

Thanks

elaj
10-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Does the first loss mean they might struggle to make the top 4 in the Adriatic League? And judging from the site, is Partizan the league favorite?

Thanks
They are having some injury problems..., also the two main guys Golubović and Ilievski aren't long with the team.

And yes, in my opinion Partizan is the favourite.

Alyosha12
10-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks

Nah its not a big deal they lost the league plays 26 regular season games so thats more then enough to make up for it, no one expected them to win everything, also Budučnost(the team they lost to) might give everybody problems as they have some excellent young talent.

Alyosha12
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Well another loss for Olimpija. Too bad they played good at times.
But at times one could say they were even too unselfish passing up shots they should not have etc.

And also the refs were beyond atrocious, my God!

elaj
10-15-2008, 10:16 AM
RuleBook, Tyler Crawford is out of Olimpija - he didn't pass the "try-out". He signed in Serbia for Sloga Kraljevo.

RuleBook
10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
RuleBook, Tyler Crawford is out of Olimpija - he didn't pass the "try-out". He signed in Serbia for Sloga Kraljevo.

Thanks for the heads up!

Now I have another team to root for.

elaj
10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Union Olimpija added JaJuan Smith (SG/PG) from Tennessee (NCAA).

Final roster:

PG: Ilievski - Wallace - Sarajlija
SG: Smith - Klobučar - Ožbolt
SF: Rudež - Robinson - Hukić*
PF: Milič - Zupan
C: Begić - Golubović

Plus two reserves - youth players: Sirnik, Radojević

*out with injury for longer period of time (a month or so)

Union Olimpija signed Frank Robinson (SG/SF) from California State Fullerton (NCAA) for two months due Hukić's injury.

Jasmin Hukić could be out for longer period of time with serious foot injury.

RuleBook
10-31-2008, 03:15 AM
Union Olimpija added JaJuan Smith (SG/PG) from Tennessee (NCAA).

Final roster:

PG: Ilievski - Wallace - Sarajlija
SG: Smith - Klobučar - Ožbolt
SF: Rudež - Robinson - Hukić*
PF: Milič - Zupan
C: Begić - Golubović

Plus two reserves - youth players: Sirnik, Radojević

*out with injury for longer period of time (a month or so)

Union Olimpija signed Frank Robinson (SG/SF) from California State Fullerton (NCAA) for two months due Hukić's injury.

Jasmin Hukić could be out for longer period of time with serious foot injury.

Interesting move considering if its a replacement for Crawford. Smith is a heck of a scorer--a streaky one who runs the break really well and who can light it up from three in stretches. He's small though if he's going to be played at the sg position and isn't really a great distributor for a combo. He's also pretty athletic. He should be a decent defender as he has pretty active hands. If Olimpija plans to run more he's a good pickup.

Also I heard Olimpija lost a heart breaker to Tau Ceramica?

elaj
10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Also I heard Olimpija lost a heart breaker to Tau Ceramica?
Yes... Wallace scored for the lead like 15 seconds to go, but Teletović of TAU made the last shot and TAU won. Olimpija had final shot (2 seconds to go), but it bounced out. :(

Update: JaJuan Smith out due personal reasons.

elaj
11-15-2008, 06:56 PM
6th loss in a row for Olimpija... something needs to be done.

Alyosha12
11-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Yup this is getting our of hand, i mean if you let Bosna score more then 90 points on you, something is definitely wrong with your defense no other way around it.
I think they got more then 80 points only in 3 or 4 games this year.
And i am all for the modern type of basketball with a lot of fast breaks and quick points but this has nothing to do with pace, our opponents always shoot +50% and that is not just bad luck by us.

As much as i love Milič he shouldn't be our starting PF and his sub Zupan, well we all know Zupan he can play one game like a champ and the next 3 like he just started playing 3 days ago.
Its really too bad Slokar was looking for such an absurd amount of money, although he is no gem on defense either.
I still like our team, they are young and all have great potential, but i don't think that applies for the adriatic league, because here i expect them to play like they did last year (i'm looking at you Golubovć), and their age is not an excuse that they are playing sub par here.
In the euroleague i understand but here i really don't.
I really don't know what can be done now...luckily i am not in the position to meed to make that decision, because something needs to be done and the people in Olimpija need to think of something fast.

RuleBook
11-23-2008, 07:19 PM
So it looks like Olimpija is in 9th right now in Adriatic League. I know that apparently this is a poor position but it also looks like they are still in the range where they could put together some wins and regain position.

Will Jurković be a significant factor in getting better?

What do you think the major structural changes will/should be?

edit: also it looks like some tough luck---in their recent 4 game losing streak, 3 of the games have been by 5 pts or less

elaj
11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
So it looks like Olimpija is in 9th right now in Adriatic League. I know that apparently this is a poor position but it also looks like they are still in the range where they could put together some wins and regain position.

Will Jurković be a significant factor in getting better?

What do you think the major structural changes will/should be?

edit: also it looks like some tough luck---in their recent 4 game losing streak, 3 of the games have been by 5 pts or less
Jonathan Wallace was fired on Friday, I guess you won't be supporting Olimpija anymore. :) Yea, club is in big shit at the moment, we will see what will happen in next games, this can't go on for long.

Joško Poljak Fan
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Jurkovič's best period is almost a decade away... he is just a temporary solution.

The good news is that Mirza Begić supposedly prolongued his contract for two more years :) at least one great news after all those stuff lately...

rikhardur
11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
The good news is that Mirza Begić supposedly prolongued his contract for two more years :) at least one great news after all those stuff lately...
The best thing to do really. Heard some Euro sharks wanted him, but I think he should stay in Olimpija some more time and develope his skills properly with lots of playing time and helping the team. The sharks later.

JGX
11-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Interview with Wallace, presumably before he was released:

http://blogs.thehoya.com/paranoia/?p=468

RuleBook
12-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Jonathan Wallace was fired on Friday, I guess you won't be supporting Olimpija anymore. :) Yea, club is in big shit at the moment, we will see what will happen in next games, this can't go on for long.

nah..it's been interesting following Olimpija so I'll keep track of them---i don't know who i'll root for if Wallace goes to a team that play them at some point :)

and from the article from the hoya what does 'Picamache' mean?

Alyosha12
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
nah..it's been interesting following Olimpija so I'll keep track of them---i don't know who i'll root for if Wallace goes to a team that play them at some point :)

and from the article from the hoya what does 'Picamache' mean?

I think he ment pi**mater which means mofo, but the long version:p

Fish
12-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I've had it...:mad:
last night was a disgrace! Hats off to Spanish team, but I am sick of watching our team "participate"! for so many years now!
Every single player of Juventut was better than our best...
It could easily went to 40 + if you ask me. Đikić is not responsible if he has players that are absolutely clueless and were dumped by other teams. Last year Dragic was the ONLY reason for selling season tickets ,why no one sees that?
As long as all of our "capable" players will be playing for $$$ in foreign and American clubs it will be the same story all over again. Europe needs a salary cap and drafting system. Otherwise we (small countries ) are history. Sponsors are losing interest, 1/2 of the country cannot even SEE games on tv...
Olimpija leaders are f. crazy...you must just turn on common sense...
OK first you must have one!:mad:

It's a shame because I LOVE basketball...but
BB haters are taking over here - no doubt

I am going back to watch the only real game (NCAA) now...

let me know when and if the things change...:(
goodbye

elaj
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Union Olimpija sacked coach Aleksandar Džikić. New coach should be announced on Monday. According to rumors main candidats are Memi Bečirovič and Jure Zdovc. In my opinion new coach will be Zdovc.

Vice-president Peter Vilfan, who was responsible for bringing Džikić to Olimpija also stepped down from his position.

Alyosha12
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow the Slovenian basketball federation lobby is stronger then i thought.

Joško Poljak Fan
12-06-2008, 03:34 PM
well, I am kind of used to all that :D
the only surprise that can happen is one coach lasting for more than 9 months :cool:

Džikić was saying that he definately wouldn't choose one player again if he had the chance, any idea who might that be?

anyway... I would hate to see Martič as a head coach, as far as Zdovc, Mahorič, Okorn I'd be willing to give them a shot, no matter all that shit the first two keep getting on their heads. Since I haven't yet bought Olimpija, I guess I'll just have to get along with any coach they choose... still bleeding green, dammit, eventhough there isn't much blood left in circulation since the past few seasons...

woma
12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
well, I am kind of used to all that :D
the only surprise that can happen is one coach lasting for more than 9 months :cool:

Džikić was saying that he definately wouldn't choose one player again if he had the chance, any idea who might that be?

anyway... I would hate to see Martič as a head coach, as far as Zdovc, Mahorič, Okorn I'd be willing to give them a shot, no matter all that shit the first two keep getting on their heads. Since I haven't yet bought Olimpija, I guess I'll just have to get along with any coach they choose... still bleeding green, dammit, eventhough there isn't much blood left in circulation since the past few seasons...
Okorn is currently in Slupsk :).

elaj
12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Okorn is currently in Slupsk :).
It doesn't really matter... he can break the contract as I heard, and he is willing to do it, if management of Olimpija will pick him. He has the best chances besides Zdovc and Bečirovič because our president and director are both close friends of him from his time in Škofja Loka.

I would wait with current coaching staff till end of season and then hire Filipovski or sign Zdovc now and work with him in the long run.