PDA

View Full Version : Nachbar's Free Agency

mvblair
05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
So, Nachbar is now a free agent. He's one of the most enticing free agents. Last year, he played behind Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter, so his minutes per game were low; however, he impressed everyone when he played. At the end of the regular season, most people expected the nets to sign him very quickly. Now, there could be some competition.

D'Antoni's arrival catches Nachbar's eye (http://www.nj.com/knicks/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/12105669128160.xml&coll=1) - May 12, 2008, by David Waldstein, New Jersey Star-Ledger

Seven years ago Boki Nachbar went from being a promising young player in Europe to a vital component of Mike D'Antoni's highly successful, fast-paced offense for Benetton Treviso.

Nachbar still loves D'Antoni as a coach and a friend, and no wonder. In their one year together D'Antoni made Nachbar a starter and they won the Italian League and the Italian Cup, and went to the European final four.

So as much as he wants to return to the Nets, Nachbar, who is a free agent this summer, couldn't help but notice that the Knicks just hired the one coach who was so instrumental in his development. A reunion, he said, would be tempting.

"Who wouldn't want to play for Mike?" Nachbar said yesterday from Koper, Slovenia. "For me, playing with Mike again would be like a dream come true, honestly. But I'm extremely thankful for what the Nets gave me. As much as what Mike did for me in Europe, they did for me in the NBA.

"They totally helped me with redirecting my career and getting me going again, and I don't forget that easily. From that aspect, I do want to stay with the Nets, definitely. But then just over the river, having one of the best coaches in the NBA, and a guy who's not just a coach but my friend, that also is going to be a factor, too."

Nachbar, a 6-9 shooting forward, said he hasn't spoken to the Nets since his exit meeting a month ago, when both sides professed a desire to keep Nachbar in East Rutherford.

Nachbar and D'Antoni left Italy after their one season together. Nachbar was drafted by the Rockets in 2002 and D'Antoni joined him in the NBA as an assistant coach with the Suns. When D'Antoni eventually took over as head coach in Phoenix the next year, Nachbar knew what was coming.

The same roadrunner brand of up-tempo basketball that D'Antoni made popular with the Suns was just what he taught at Treviso. Benetton had the speedy Tyus Edney playing the role of Steve Nash, while D'Antoni had Nachbar, then just 21, sweeping in from the wing.

"We played almost exactly the same way," Nachbar said. "We played extremely fast. Organized, but fast. It was something he did from the beginning when he got there, and that's why we won a championship and why we were one of the most successful teams in Europe.

"We pushed the ball and never stopped playing that way the whole season. We were extremely successful at it. By the end of the season we were impossible to stop."

Nachbar said that at Benetton there was no specific team rule to shoot within seven seconds, which became a popularized tenet of D'Antoni's offensive philosophy in Phoenix. But any open shot was considered a good shot.

"When a person had an open shot, if he didn't take it, then he would hear from him," Nachbar recalled. "It would be totally opposite from the other coaches. If you had an open shot in the first five seconds of the offense and didn't take it, you would get talked to. He wouldn't yell, but he would say, 'Listen, you've got to take that shot, that's the type of shot we want.'

With that exciting style and his success as a former star player and coach for Milan, and later coaching at Benetton, D'Antoni became more than just a star in Italian basketball.

"He's like a god over there," Nachbar said. "They love him. It's almost impossible to believe. You have to go over there to see it."

Nachbar described Benetton practices as a fun combination of five-on-five scrimmages and fast-break drills, and said that the players tend to love D'Antoni just as much as the Italian fans.

"He shows tremendous trust in his players and I guess I fit perfectly into his system and his vision," he said. "Even though I struggled at times as the youngest guy on the team, he let me play through it. The confidence and trust that he shows in players is something I'll never forget."

Phantim3dx
05-12-2008, 02:14 PM
send him to gotham city. he would be cheaper tha starbury and company.... god d'antoni has a lot on his hands in NYC

Vasileios Spanoulis
05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I think he should go to the Knicks. He's perfect for D' Antoni.

Joško Poljak Fan
05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I actually managed to catch Boki at one streetball tournament 2 or 3 years ago when his rookie contract was expireing, mentioning about playing under D'Antoni he seemed very enthusiastic about it, but afterall saying it's not all about coach and the player both wanting to cooperate since numerous other things have to work out in order to play for a team you want to.
After Houston and JVG the only thing he really cared about is getting a chance. He got one in New Jersey (and New Orleans) and I think that'll prevail. He kind of got his role in that team, getting serious minutes off the bench, while switching teams in this moment might mean he'd have to go through assimilation & affirmation process once again just as he kind of settled down and got all that in NJNets. Having D'Antoni would definately help with that, but afterall it's still a risk, while he still didn't show absolutely everything he can in New Jersey.
I think he'll stay with the Nets.

mvblair
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I actually managed to catch Boki at one streetball tournament 2 or 3 years ago Really!? Is he a nice guy?

After Houston and JVG the only thing he really cared about is getting a chance. He got one in New Jersey (and New Orleans) and I think that'll prevail. He kind of got his role in that team, getting serious minutes off the bench, while switching teams in this moment might mean he'd have to go through assimilation & affirmation process once again just as he kind of settled down and got all that in NJNets. Having D'Antoni would definately help with that, but afterall it's still a risk, while he still didn't show absolutely everything he can in New Jersey.
I think he'll probably stay with NJ for a few reasons. First, NJ (assuming their management is competent) won't want a single player that the Knicks have except for maybe Malik Rose and David Lee, who NY won't trade. Second, New York is already spending way too much money. They've got the highest salary in the league and are still paying guys like Allen Houston, so they can't take on any more contracts. Third, NJ wants Nachbar.

There is a rumor now that D'Antoni is also trying to get Barbosa and Diaw to New York.

zwbgr
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I think he'll probably stay with NJ for a few reasons. First, NJ (assuming their management is competent) won't want a single player that the Knicks have except for maybe Malik Rose and David Lee, who NY won't trade. Second, New York is already spending way too much money. They've got the highest salary in the league and are still paying guys like Allen Houston, so they can't take on any more contracts. Third, NJ wants Nachbar.

There is a rumor now that D'Antoni is also trying to get Barbosa and Diaw to New York.
Nachbar is a free agent so he doesn't need to be traded. Although he had two very good seasons in NJ i personally think that he'll play elsewhere next year not necessary in NY. No that i have any proofs just my feeling is telling me so.

Chuck Diesel
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd love to have Boki on the Bucks. He'd be an upgrade over anything we currently have at small forward (Desmond Mason, Bobby Simmons)

Vasileios Spanoulis
05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I actually managed to catch Boki at one streetball tournament 2 or 3 years ago when his rookie contract was expireing, mentioning about playing under D'Antoni he seemed very enthusiastic about it, but afterall saying it's not all about coach and the player both wanting to cooperate since numerous other things have to work out in order to play for a team you want to.

JVG is a complete douche bag. I can't believe he managed to get NBA coaching jobs. He may be the worst talent evaluator and the worst at developing young players of any NBA coach. He's definitely the worst at developing Euro players by far. He runs teams into the ground with his refusal to ever develop any young players. He did it to the Knicks and the Rockets.

Boki was lucky the Rockets traded him out of there so he could show what he could do.

Joško Poljak Fan
05-13-2008, 11:09 PM
to my belief JVG just has a different vision on how to play the game, he doesn't give up his firm beliefs and some of stuff most euro's are mostly good at just isn't a part of that vision. This way he expected Nachbar to play as a spot up shooter, which he isn't really... I'd really resent all this much more on Rockets GM for fake promises, signing contracts and draft picks which he must've been aware are completely uncompatible with what his coach actually desired

Really!? Is he a nice guy?
great guy, down to earth, not acting "superstar-ish" or anything... just a casual modest guy really.

Phantim3dx
05-14-2008, 02:29 AM
i wouldnt consider JVG a douchebag as you say VS666.

yeah he isnt the best in developing young talentl, not to mention he ran your T-Mac of greece to the ground. that i admit JVG isnt good at, if anything that is his weakest, with offensive game plans mediocre at best. but he does get the most out of his players, at least those that follow his path.

besides if u ever met the guy im sure u wouldnt have the balls to say it to his face.

Vasileios Spanoulis
05-14-2008, 02:39 AM
i wouldnt consider JVG a douchebag as you say VS666.

yeah he isnt the best in developing young talentl, not to mention he ran your T-Mac of greece to the ground. that i admit JVG isnt good at, if anything that is his weakest, with offensive game plans mediocre at best. but he does get the most out of his players, at least those that follow his path.

besides if u ever met the guy im sure u wouldnt have the balls to say it to his face.

I'm 6-3 185 what is Van Gundy like 5-9 160?

mvblair
05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Nachbar is a free agent so he doesn't need to be traded. Although he had two very good seasons in NJ i personally think that he'll play elsewhere next year not necessary in NY. No that i have any proofs just my feeling is telling me so. Well, I think that NJ will probably try to do a "sign and trade," but I'm not sure exactly how that works. I suppose the odds say that you're right and he probably will go to another team (there are 30 possible teams, right?).
great guy, down to earth, not acting "superstar-ish" or anything... just a casual modest guy really. That's great. I met Dollar Bill Edwards and he was a little "superstar-ish," but still pretty nice. I met Vitaly Potapenko too, and he was pretty cool, but that was back when he was in college. I used to watch him put 300 pounds onto a dumbbell pick it up to his chest, and jump up and down...

...as for Jeff Van Gundy, well, I'm not a fan. I'm sure he knows a lot about basketball (after all, he did well with the Knicks) but I think he made a mistake having Patrick Ewing help Yao. His brother, Stan Van Gundy, on the other hand, seems to be a fantastic coach.