Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FIBA Central Board approves historic rule changes

The FIBA Central Board approves historic rule changes

GENEVA (FIBA) – The FIBA Central Board, the highest executive body of the International Basketball Federation, met yesterday, Friday 25th April, and has continued its session today, Saturday 26th April, in Beijing, China. The meeting has been organized in cooperation with the Chinese Basketball Association.

An additional press release containing several important decisions of the FIBA Central Board will be issued in the next hours. However, this morning the Central Board has taken some major and historic decisions as with regards to the game rules.

Indeed, upon recommendation of the FIBA Technical Commission (a group of experts that deal with the game rules), the FIBA Central Board has approved today several amendments to the Official Basketball Rules.

The recommendations by the FIBA Technical Commission and the decisions taken by the Central Board were strived by the attempt to further unify all existing game rules and to have, in the future, only one set of rules for the game of basketball worldwide.

Please find below a summary of all approved rule changes, which include historic amendments like the extension of the 3-point line (in place since 1984) and the change of the trapezoid restricted area (in place since the 1950s) to a rectangular one:

OFFICIAL BASKETBALL RULES 2008:

All below-mentioned rules will come into effect as of 1st October 2008, i.e. after the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Art. 4.3 Uniforms

The provision that T-shirts may be worn by players under their game uniforms is not valid anymore.

Art. 25.2.3 Player falling on the floor

It is legal when a player falls and slides on the floor while holding the ball.

Art. 28.1.3 Ball goes into team’s frontcourt

The ball goes to the teams’ frontcourt when, during the dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, both feet of the dribbler and the ball are in contact with the frontcourt.

Art. 30.1.2 Ball returned to the backcourt

It will not be a violation anymore if a player, who jumps from his frontcourt, establishes a new team control while still airborne and then lands in his team’s backcourt.

Art. 31 Goaltending and interference

If a player reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball, it is an interference (and not a simple violation) with all the relevant rule consequences.

Art. 36.1.4 Unsportsmanlike foul

If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents’ basket, then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.

Art. 38.3.1 Technical foul

A technical foul can be called on a player for excessive swinging of elbows (without contact).

OFFICIAL BASKETBALL RULES 2010:

The below mentioned rule amendments will come into effect as follows:

• For high level competitions/Level 1 (main FIBA official competitions: i.e. Olympic Tournaments, World Championships for Men and Women, U19 and U17 World Championships for Men and Women and Zone/Continental Championships for Men and Women): as of 1st October 2010, i.e. after the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

• For medium level competitions/Level 2 (i.e. all other FIBA official competitions and the high level competitions of the national federations): as of 1st October 2012, i.e. after the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Art. 2.2.3 Free-throw lines and restricted areas

The restricted areas shall be the floor rectangle areas marked on the playing court.

The restricted (three-second) area shall be a rectangle (not anymore a trapezoid) as per Diagram 1 below.

Art. 2.2.4 Three-point field goal area

The distance of the three-point line shall be 6,75 m (and not 6,25 m as present).

Art. 2.2.6 Throw-in side lines

The two (2) small lines shall be marked outside the court, on the opposite side of the scorer’s table and the team bench areas, with the outer edge at the distance of 8,325 m from the inside edge of the end lines; in other words, level to the top of the three-point line.

During the last two (2) minutes of the game and of the extra period, following the time-out granted to the team that has been entitled to the possession of the ball from its backcourt, the subsequent throw-in will be taken on the opposite side of the scorer’s table from the “throw-in side line” and not as presently from the centre line extended.

Art. 2.2.7 No-charge semicircles

The no-charge semicircles shall be marked on the playing court, under the baskets. The distance of the inner edge of the semicircles shall be 1,25 m from the centre of the basket (on the floor).

A charging (offensive) foul should never be called if the contact by the offensive player is with the defensive player standing within the no-charge semicircle.

Art. 29 Twenty-four seconds

If the throw-in is to be administered in the backcourt, if required by the respective rules, the 24 second device shall be reset to 24 seconds.

If the throw-in is to be administered in the frontcourt, if required by the respective rules, the 24-second device shall be reset as follows:

- If 14 seconds or more are displayed on the 24-second device at the time the game was stopped, the 24-second device shall not be reset and shall remain the same.

- If 13 seconds or less are displayed on the 24-second device at the time the game was stopped, the 24-second device shall be reset to 14 seconds.

For a clearer visualization of the first four changes above, please refer to the Diagram 1.

Bull****....

"The recommendations by the FIBA Technical Commission and the decisions taken by the Central Board were strived by the attempt to further unify all existing game rules and to have, in the future, only one set of rules for the game of basketball worldwide."

They mean FIBA should kiss NBA's *** and make the rules just like theirs, although USA and Canada are the only countries in the world where the 3pt line is not 6.25?

Comment

The removal of the trapezoid lane along with the extension of the three point line will make the pivot players a helluva lot more important. I foresee this really, really helping the teams who have such players.
      The no charge semi circle is a very good idea as well, it should also help teams who score a lot of points on drives/cuts.
      The final big impact will be the 14 seconds if under 24 seconds on clock, I think this will create more "Rivaldo" injuries to reset clock.
      Unicajism (or Unicajian Performance Fluctuation Syndrome: UPFS) in all its glory

Comment

Originally posted by TchatoLT
        Bull****....
        Thank you.

This is an awful, awful decision. FIBA is changing from a better-designed game to a game that is more confusing and more in line with the NBA's poor system. How? With these three rule changes:
        • Art. 2.2.3 Free-throw lines and restricted areas

The restricted areas shall be the floor rectangle areas marked on the playing court.

The restricted (three-second) area shall be a rectangle (not anymore a trapezoid) as per Diagram 1 below.

This gives the big, bulky players a much great advantage. Suddenly they are closer to the basket for a longer amount of time. The game will slow down for isolation post plays. Big men will not need to learn how to shoot. Muscle, rather than skill, will be more important.

• Art. 2.2.7 No-charge semicircles

The no-charge semicircles shall be marked on the playing court, under the baskets. The distance of the inner edge of the semicircles shall be 1,25 m from the centre of the basket (on the floor).

A charging (offensive) foul should never be called if the contact by the offensive player is with the defensive player standing within the no-charge semicircle.

Again, this gives a bigger advantage the muscular big man. Defenders will be forced by rule to stay away from the basket for fear of being called on a charge even when they have a legitimate claim to defense and the offensive player is out of control

• Art. 29 Twenty-four seconds

If the throw-in is to be administered in the backcourt, if required by the respective rules, the 24 second device shall be reset to 24 seconds.

If the throw-in is to be administered in the frontcourt, if required by the respective rules, the 24-second device shall be reset as follows:

- If 14 seconds or more are displayed on the 24-second device at the time the game was stopped, the 24-second device shall not be reset and shall remain the same.

- If 13 seconds or less are displayed on the 24-second device at the time the game was stopped, the 24-second device shall be reset to 14 seconds.

This means that offensives will need to push-push-push rather than think-pass-move. An emphasis on individuals moving the ball and pushing toward the basket will destroy good, clean offenses.

FIBA is making a mistake. They're changing a good system. FIBA needs to wait for the NBA to make changes that benefit the game of basketball rather than kowtowing to the corporate giant. What is especially sad is that the NCAA is making changes to become more similar to FIBA (extending the three-point line and experimenting in the exhibition season with trapezoidal lanes).

FIBA is making a mistake. They've got to reverse course or they're going to take a huge sucker-punch to the face from their fans around the world.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Off topic: I just posted these exact comments to the FIBA website. Their response? "Your comment contains words from the blacklist. It won't be shown on our website until it has been verified by the maintainer." Are they blacklisting every comment?
          "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Thanks Matt, totally agree. However, NBA arenas are full of people, while FIBA tourneys do not sell tickets. And money rules the world. They want the families, the kids, the rich people at the games. No room for a bunch of basketball purists like us that want the game played the right way.

Comment

Finally.
              47-70
              76-58

Comment

FUC*ing SWEET!!!

the 3 point line has been extended.

BULL***T in terms of the lane being changed to the rectangle. i personally like the trapezoid lane or at least remove that stupid semi circle . god that is the most wasteful amount of invested paint/chalk ever on court.

are u telling me?!?! if i am reading correctly that there will be 3 second violations or no. because if there are thats is just dog poo upon cat poo upon human poo. i want to see no 3 second violation because for crying out loud i want to see real zone and collapsing defense!!!!!!

someone just clairify!! im not stupid i sut rushed to the damn thing!!!!
                "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Well, I think it's a good move from FIBA to try to come closer to the NBA. We just have to wait NBA to suppress the 3seconds defensive violations, and here we are. Especially good, the 3 point line extension. It will allow mor spaces, and already, won't change much. 6,25 had become too close to the basket, every team is defending ways further than that so, what did it mean.

Matt, for the rectangle, will it really change. Because the circle will be larger according to the schemme than the circle, so, I may think the width of the paint will still be the same. And until you allow the zone, and the 2,20m guy to stand in the middle of it, well, you need to learn how to shoot.

It's a great move, because, for people who are not fans as we are, the game will be more easily understandable, especially about the rules. Well, the no charge zone, idon't like that much, but well... it is in the same move.

FIBA has understood they needed to make a step towards NBA, because NBA is the main operator in basketball decision and representation management. It is not representative of most of the players, but, the most known one. It will at leats take all the arguments of team USA to be beat down, as the rules will be closer to NBA ones .
                  It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

hey who put on the fiba board RIP EUROBASKET CIRCUS IS COMING?

LMAO

on a lighter note, when i think of this recent rule change i immediately think of of the star wars evil empire music

its on th 3:30 into the music

the song

here is david stern vs an AP REPORTER
                    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

i just posted with nothign bad at all, except to make true critique's on how d wade is a waste of space on the intl squad

that blacklisting crap reminds me so much of the great firewall in china and overall generalization of the chinese gov...i guess in FIBA's website, I too, have been "harmonized"

to the chinese psoters here, theyll understand the meaning to the harmonized thing more

Originally posted by mvblair
                      Off topic: I just posted these exact comments to the FIBA website. Their response? "Your comment contains words from the blacklist. It won't be shown on our website until it has been verified by the maintainer." Are they blacklisting every comment?

Comment

Wow, FIBA really found a way to submit itself to the NBA. But they still have an excuse to say "our 3p line is still closer". ¬¬

I mean, removing the trapezoidal lane???? WHY? Weren't many people in US saying the trapezoidal lane was better and advicing the NBA to adopt it??

The circle below the basket? Come on.

Like Tchalot says, why should 200 countries adapt to a system only ONE league from ONE country uses?

PS: so many rule changes, and they didn't change the only FIBA rule that indisputably sucked: the possession arrow.
                        Last edited by alermac; 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Basket_

Why 14?? Shouldn't it be 16 seconds, since FIBA has 8'' violation and not 10''? God, they were stupid today.

Comment

I like the no offensive charge under the basket rule, i don't know how i feel about the 14second rule, but i guess players will adapt as they did from the 30sec to the 24, but i also agree it should be 18sec.

And if the further 3pt line keeps those so called bigs from hanging outside on the perimeter and shoot threes i am all for it.

I hate big man who like to shot from the 3 but don't like posting up, they disrupt the flow of the game, and make basketball less interesting, post up FFS you bug lugs.
                            My homage to The heroes:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

Is there really a change about the 14 sec rule? I thought it was already the case.
                              It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information