• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American minor leagues (ABA, IBL, PBL) Asian expansion plans

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases...=2008030506005

ABA SETS SIGHTS ON ADDITIONAL SE ASIAN EXPANSION
    05-Mar-2008
    Singapore -- The American Basketball Association has announced that it plans to increase its operations in SE Asia with the development of a group of regional teams which will not only compete with one another, but will play US and Canada-based teams next season.

The league is winding up a very successful season with the Beijing Aoshen Olympian team, currently ranked # 2 in the ABA, that has been based in Singapore for the past six months. US and Canada teams have been competing against the Olympian, which features two Chinese National Team players that will be competing in the Summer Olympics this August in Beijing. The Olympian has provided exciting, fast-paced basketball entertainment to Singaporeans and the expat community there. "The past games played in Singapore have showcased the ABA and how we bring basketball to the community," said Tom Chichester, Director of SE Asia Development. "The Singapore games have served as the model for the ABA in the region and how we will bring this to the rest of Asia. The ABA rules are different and makes the game much faster."

According to Chichester, the ABA is meeting with the Singapore Sports Council shortly to formally present its plans for the regional professional league which includes the development of a dedicated ABA arena, a television agreement and has already started to appoint an advisory board to assist the league development.

"What we see which interests us is the ABA is not just a spectator sport, it is something which directly assists the training and development of Asian basketball. This is because our teams can participate and compete with other ABA teams, not just watch them," said investment banker and sports marketing guru Paul Monozca, Chairman of the Dr. AB Monozca Foundation, who was appointed to the Indianapolis -based board for SE Asia Development. Monozca is a patron of Philippine pro, amateur and national players who play in Singapore and is known for his high-profile fund raisers in various sports.

The ABA is looking at six countries to participate in the annual league for Asia and a generous purse for the top three finishers. The champion team will complete in the asian finals and on to the global finals which is being held in Quebec, Canada this year. There is also an ABA All Star game where fans can pick their players (to be in Barre, Vermont this year) and asian players will be eligible for the All Star team.

With the development of Singapore's Sports Hub, it is no surprise that high-profile league events such as the ABA have chosen to launch its plans in Asia and Singapore is the first stop.

For more information, email Ms. Kristine Ong at pr@parmon.com or Tom Chichester at tcrefaba@frontiernet.net.
    Sounds good, although I must say that, out of 100 promises the ABA says, normally you would only expect <10 to be realized...
    Last edited by sinobball; 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM.
    aim low, score high

Nippon Tornadoes, new Japanese IBL team in 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 25, 2008

JAPANESE TEAM OFFICIALLY JOINS IBL FOR 2009 SEASON

Portland, OR

The International Basketball League has announced that the Nippon Tornadoes have officially committed to join the league for the 2009 season. On Saturday March 22 nd , the IBL’s Commissioner Mikal Duilio received final payment to secure the deal. The Tornadoes will become the fourth nation represented in the IBL, joining China, Canada and the U.S.

The Tornadoes are owned by Mr. Katsuya Sasaki. Sasaki is a representative of the Japan Basketball Academy, and has a passion for developing the game in his home country. “Joining the IBL will not only be an exciting cultural experience,” said Sasaki. “This affiliation will give Japanese players and coaches the opportunity to improve by competing against some of the best players in the world.”

Sasaki’s vision for the Tornadoes roster is a collection of some of the top players from around Japan. Although the Tornadoes have support from Ehime Prefecture, and its capital, Matsuyama City, the team would like to have a national identity. The name ‘Nippon’ is an older reference to the nation of Japan.

IBL Commissioner Mikal Duilio – “Katsuya and his team are a tremendous addition to our league”,
    further—“the fact that they chose 2009 over the 2008 season as their entry point is one of many examples of solid their decision making that shows their commitment to excellence and their commitment to stability and sustainability. The team is continually, and currently, building the correct and appropriate long term partnerships in Japan”.

The IBL is uniquely able to offer Asian teams an efficient and affordable option to compete in an American professional basketball league. The IBL’s system of organizing teams in regional clusters makes it possible for the league to offer an overseas team the same ‘one flight guarantee’ it gives its domestic owners. The Tornadoes will be based at the USBA in Blue River, Oregon, and play much of their 20 game schedule in the IBL’s northwest cluster.

Adding the Tornadoes to the IBL’s stable of teams is the latest success from the league’s Asian
    Expansion Department. At least two other teams from Asia will compete in the IBL in 2009, both from China. There are also ongoing efforts to add teams from South Korea and the Philippines expected to yield results no later than the 2010 and 2011 season respectively. The Shanxi Kylins from the CBA will play 20 games in the IBL this (2008) season.

For more information about the International Basketball League, including video and pictures of teams and players, visit www.iblhoopsonline.com
    In addition to Shanxi, 4 Shanghai Sharks (CBA) players are with the Elkhart Express in the IBL this year.
    Last edited by sinobball; 05-18-2008, 03:16 PM.
    aim low, score high

Comment

Southeast Asian All-Star Team to join PBL in 2008-09

Southeast Asian All-Star Team to Join the Premier Basketball League
      04/16/08 - Premier Basketball League (PBL)

(Chicago, IL)... The PBL is pleased to announce in conjunction with their continued partnership with Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries, the 2008-2009 PBL season will include a team comprised of top players from Southeast Asian countries.

"We are very proud to have established a great partnership with Thailand to bring the first player in the history of their Country to play in a US professional league this past season. The PBL is committed to working with Thailand and the other countries in Southeast Asia to bring players to play in the PBL and to bring our PBL players and coaches to these countries," stated Premier Basketball League President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas E. Doyle.

"We are currently finalizing bringing our PBL All-Star team to Thailand this summer for an extended period of exhibition games and clinics. The ability to build positive relations through the great sport of basketball is of extreme importance to the PBL mission" Doyle indicated.

For additional information contact the Premier Basketball League Maryland/Washington D.C. office at (301) 424-8612 or visit www.pblproball.com.

==============================
      Thai player Ratdech Kruatiwa averaged 2.1ppg for PBL's Maryland Nighthawks this past year.
      Last edited by sinobball; 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Buffalo NexxNow Dragons, new PBL team in 2009

Published: April 30, 2008
        NexxNow Brings Professional Basketball Back to Buffalo

BUFFALO, N.Y., April 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- NexxNow, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: CTAL) today announced that professional basketball has returned to theCity of Buffalo with a unique element that may place the City on the International media landscape.

The NexxNow Dragons will include prominent Chinese players and will begin play in January of 2009.

NexxNow's goal is to deliver Dragons' games toChina via television, broadband and mobile devices. "The successful Broadcast of our games toChina can provide an assortment of economic opportunity and benefits to theBuffalo community," said Paul Riley, NexxNow CEO.

"The appetite for this content exists as evidenced by the 400 million Chinese basketball fans. Our goal is to broadcast live toChina by the 2010 season, but 2009 is a very realistic possibility," Riley continued.

The Dragons will compete in The Premier Basketball League (PBL). "We chose the PBL because of their commitment to quality, schedule integrity and progressive business strategies," says Riley.

"The 2008 PBL Championship Game, hosted inRochester, NY, was televised and enjoyed attendance of nearly 10,000," stated Tom Doyle, PBL President.

The Dragons will play out of the Erie Community College Burt Flickinger Center. This weekend team representatives will be at the Buffalo Men's Show where fans will have a chance to win seasons tickets for the Dragons inaugural season.

About the Company (OTC Bulletin Board: CTAL)

NexxNow, Inc. is a diversified Sports Media and Marketing Company that delivers robust multi-media ad platforms to National/International Advertisers at below market prices. NexxNow China, Inc. (Subsidiary) is pursuing the television broadcast of its professional basketball team (NexxNow Dragons) to China.

Forward Looking Statement:

This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All forward-looking statements are inherently uncertain as they are based on current expectations and assumptions concerning future events or future performance of the company. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which are only predictions and speak only as of the date hereof. In evaluating such statements, prospective investors should review carefully various risks and uncertainties identified in this release. These risks and uncertainties could cause the company's actual results to differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements.

CONTACT INFORMATION:
        Market Vision Consulting, Inc.
        Robert Gartzman
        Phone (561) 447-7177

SOURCE NexxNow, Inc.

Copyright © 2008, PRNewswire
        Copyright © 2008, NewsBlaze, Daily News

Tags: Computers and Electronics, , High Tech, Sports, california, new york
        Last edited by sinobball; 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM.
        aim low, score high

Comment

More from ABA's Southeast Asian plans

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirers...y-in-ABA-board
          In Huddle
          S’pore-based Pinoy in ABA board

By Beth Celis
          Philippine Daily Inquirer
          First Posted 01:36:00 05/08/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The press conference for PBL cager Jason Castro at the Saisaki Edsa was over when Paul Monozca handed me a photocopied document. He said it was a scoop, although I saw several other copies of the paper in his folder.

Paul is a Singapore-based Filipino who works for Price-Waterhouse and other business entities. He accompanied to Manila Bob Turner of the Singapore Slingers, the team that recently signed Jason to a seven-month contract in the NBL.

I glanced at the document Paul gave me. It was a copy of a news article with Paul’s picture in it. “ABA appoints Paul Monozca to Board,” the headline read.

The caption under Paul’s photo said he is the first Asian to sit in the board of the prestigious basketball organization. ABA means American Basketball Association and the news article from the Global News Wire stated that it is the second largest professional basketball league in North America, next to the NBA.

The ABA has developed big stars such as Dr. J (Julius Erving), George Gervin, David Thompson and Mike McGhee and “continues to develop top class players in the professional ranks today.”

I was headed for the exit when I stopped and made a U-turn. I decided maybe I should have a short chat with Paul before he returned to Singapore the following day.

To be honest, I was surprised to learn that the ABA was still alive. I know the league had folded up or, as some claim, merged with the NBA some years back when the latter absorbed ABA teams such as the San Antonio Spurs and the Indiana Pacers. Lately, I only hear and read about the CBA and the NBDL, which is the NBA’s farm league. None among the more recent batch of imports and Fil-Ams seem to have had stints in the ABA.

At any rate, a colleague said that—if his memory serves him right—the ABA had resurrected after the turn of the century and is now more focused on commercial teams “on a mid-tier level but covering all cities in the USA.”

I sat beside Paul as he took the first bite of his late lunch.

“What did it take for you to land this position which seems to be much coveted?” I asked him.

He put his chopsticks on his plate.

“Money. Lots of money,” he replied. I didn’t ask how much but as I continued to read the wire article, I came across a paragraph which said the appointment “was the outcome of a deal believed to be worth $2 million off Monozca’s pockets.”

This involved the development of the ABA’s heritage in Asia except China. The deal could not include China because the rights had been bought by a Chinese tycoon who also owns the club team Beijing Aoshen, based in Singapore.

Second question to Paul: “Does Philippine basketball stand to gain anything from your ABA post?

“Much,” he replied. “The ABA currently has 18 teams. My plan is to have at least one Filipino in every team, starting next season. My vision is to make the Filipino cager global.”

Paul said it has started with Jason Castro, who will be playing for the Singapore-based Slingers in the Australian pro league.
          aim low, score high

Comment

Detroit Middle Eastern team in ABA 08-09

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases...=2008051306001
            ABA ADDS MIDDLE EASTERN TEAM IN DETROIT - THE DETROIT ZAFIR

13-May-2008

Indianapolis, IN -- The American Basketball Association nnounced the addition of the Detroit Zafir (Arabic for Victorious) which will begin play this fall. The team will feature players from the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Qatar, Kuwait et al) and will play in the North Central Division. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "We are very pleased and excited about this new team and know that it will add much to the league. Detroit has one of the nation's largest Middle Eastern populations, basketball is very popular and well played, and we expect this team to be very competitive."

The Detroit Zafir is the brainchild of Paul Odoom, a native of the South Loop of Chicago. After attending the University of Michigan with a dual major in Finance and Economics, he began working for various commercial banks such as Citibank, Flagstar Bank, National City and Sallie Mae, all while serving as the Business Manager of the University of Michigan's newspaper, the Michigan Journal. He is now a trader of corporate bonds at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and newly appointed President/CEO of First Chicago Alliant, a venture capital and private investment bank.

"Since I was a kid, basketball has been one of my favorite sports. I grew up admiring Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Isaiah Thomas and of course, Michael Jordan," said Odoom. "I felt like it was my birthright being born in Chicago, that although I was living in the Detroit area at the time, I was cheering for the Chicago Bulls and Michael. It was a wonderful time to be alive during the prime of his career, and now I am excited to bring that same childhood passion and enthusiasm for basketball to the Detroit area with an ABA team that will feature players from the Middle East. And, I'll tell you one thing - the Detroit Zafir will be very competitive."

He added, "teaming up with the ABA is a unique, historic opportunity. The league has produced some of the greatest basketball players, such as Dr. J., George Gervin and Moses Malone. The Detroit area is made of hard working, good hearted people who come from many different backgrounds. The backgrounds are so different and diverse that it could serve as an intimidation factor as we try to get to know one another. The beauty of sports, particularly basketball, is that it can serve as a medium for all of us to unite and cheer for the same team. Basketball is so global now because of the great success of the American Olympic Team back in 1992. The Detroit area stands at a great advantage due to its Middle Eastern community. We are ready to make history happen, not just for the ABA, but for the people of Detroit."

For more information, call Paul Odoom at (248) 228-0261 or email detroit.zafir@yahoo.com. Tryouts, Web site and other information will be released shortly.
            I think there was an Iranian player Behdad Sami with the Georgia Gwizzlies last season.
            aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information