PDA

View Full Version : Gherardini to Milwaukee as GM?

mvblair
04-03-2008, 03:47 PM
A rumor in the news:

Bucks may have interest in Gherardini (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2008/04/03/5180241-sun.html) - April 3, 2008, Toronto Sun, by FRANK ZICARELLI

Well-respected Raptors assistant general manager Maurizio Gherardini has been linked to the vacant GM post in Milwaukee.

With the free-falling Bucks looking to replace the recently deposed Larry Harris, it has been speculated that Gherardini will be in line for an interview.

Known for his contacts and long-standing associations with European-based clubs and basketball officials, Gherardini was recruited to Toronto by president/general manager Bryan Colangelo.

The tandem used the first overall pick in 2006 to select Andrea Bargnani, whom Gherardini has known for years.

Gherardini has also been influential in the Raptors signing Anthony Parker, who played in Israel, Spaniard Jorge Garbajosa and the trade for Slovenian Rasho Nesterovic from San Antonio.

WANTED MAN?

From the moment he arrived in Toronto, many basketball insiders have felt Gherardini one day would run an NBA club.

Milwaukee, at least from afar, seems an odd match given Gherardini's preference for international culture.

Money does strange things to some and if the Bucks are willing to dole out much euros, perhaps anything is possible.
Gherardini has shown year after year that he can build a succesful club. It's clear that Gherardini can build a team around an NBA superstar. Unfortunately, Milwaukee has a much more dysfunctional cast of characters than Toronto. Gherardini or whoever takes over Milwaukee will have a lot of work to do. They might consider reshaping the entire roster besides Bogut, Villanueva, and Redd.

I think Gherardini has an outlook similar to Joe Dumars. He looks for players who have won and then thinks that winners will learn how to play together. He might not be the best at evaluating talent, but he sure knows how to put players with similar attitudes and styles on the same team (it doesn't hurt that when he came to the NBA, he already had Bosh).

damelo
04-03-2008, 07:50 PM
He will bring an open mind to a franchise who is not that opened on the international. Today, franchises who are winning often have a few international players, because looking for guys in a 6billion people pool is always better than restrain yourself to 300 million... Well, that's exagerated, but, he knows European basketball so he shall be able to bring a few great players, and give them the money they deserve. Guys such as Reyes, etc... Not that young, but, great. This will be quite interesting to see it.
Note that I consider Bogut as American , as he got known through NCAA.

Well, however, he may bring some fun to milwaukee.

Chuck Diesel
04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
He will bring an open mind to a franchise who is not that opened on the international. Today, franchises who are winning often have a few international players, because looking for guys in a 6billion people pool is always better than restrain yourself to 300 million... Well, that's exagerated, but, he knows European basketball so he shall be able to bring a few great players, and give them the money they deserve. Guys such as Reyes, etc... Not that young, but, great. This will be quite interesting to see it.
Note that I consider Bogut as American , as he got known through NCAA.

Well, however, he may bring some fun to milwaukee.

As I've quickly come to realize on these is commonplace in these forums, you are speaking out of ignorance on a subject obviously don’t know much about.

In 2003 the Bucks drafted Szymon Szewczyk and signed Daniel Santiago (who had been in Rome) The Bucks were one of the first teams to offer a contract to Jose Calderon and Jasikevicius (thanks to Jacinto Castillo, the Bucks director of European scouting).

In 2004 the Bucks traded for Zaza Pachulia

In 2005 the Bucks drafted Andrew Bogut (not American btw), Ersan Ilyasova and traded for Jiri Welsch.

In 2006 the Bucks drafted Damir Markota and attempted to sign Jorge Garbajosa

In 2007 The Bucks drafted Yi Jianlian.

The club also signed Americans who have succeeded in Europe like Charlie Bell and Lynn Greer.

Many feel the Bucks have actually tried too hard to target international players who haven't really helped the team (Markota, Ilyasova, Welsch, Szewczyk).

The problem with the franchise is that the owner relies on an inner circle of lawyers to make basketball decisions and doesn’t allow the GM to do his job. The starting backcourt doesn't play any defense or pass the ball and everyone besides Bogut has really struggled. Bogut is the cornerstone, rookie Ramon Sessions has looked outstanding in limited minutes and Yi started strong but his body is breaking down.

Villanueva and Mo Williams are as good as gone, and Redd could be on his way out as well.

Chuck Diesel
04-03-2008, 09:33 PM
In regards to Gherardini, I'd be fine with him becoming the GM as long as owner Herb Kohl would allow him to do his job (which Kohl hasn't done in his 20 years as owner). I trust that Maurizio is smart enough to know the difference between building an NBA and Euroleague team.

damelo
04-04-2008, 08:26 AM
As I've quickly come to realize on these is commonplace in these forums, you are speaking out of ignorance on a subject obviously donít know much about.

In 2003 the Bucks drafted Szymon Szewczyk and signed Daniel Santiago (who had been in Rome) The Bucks were one of the first teams to offer a contract to Jose Calderon and Jasikevicius (thanks to Jacinto Castillo, the Bucks director of European scouting).

In 2004 the Bucks traded for Zaza Pachulia

In 2005 the Bucks drafted Andrew Bogut (not American btw), Ersan Ilyasova and traded for Jiri Welsch.

In 2006 the Bucks drafted Damir Markota and attempted to sign Jorge Garbajosa

In 2007 The Bucks drafted Yi Jianlian.

The club also signed Americans who have succeeded in Europe like Charlie Bell and Lynn Greer.

Many feel the Bucks have actually tried too hard to target international players who haven't really helped the team (Markota, Ilyasova, Welsch, Szewczyk).

The problem with the franchise is that the owner relies on an inner circle of lawyers to make basketball decisions and doesnít allow the GM to do his job. The starting backcourt doesn't play any defense or pass the ball and everyone besides Bogut has really struggled. Bogut is the cornerstone, rookie Ramon Sessions has looked outstanding in limited minutes and Yi started strong but his body is breaking down.

Villanueva and Mo Williams are as good as gone, and Redd could be on his way out as well.

You got a point. Already, Ilyasova, Markota are not yet ready for NBA. And for a young player it may be hard to start in Milwaukee, which is has been astruggling team for a few years.

Then, if I understand what you say, change GM wouldn't change anything.

ps: For Bogut, I know he's not American. But, would has he been such known if not playing in the US?

mvblair
04-04-2008, 01:29 PM
The problem with the franchise is that the owner relies on an inner circle of lawyers to make basketball decisions and doesnít allow the GM to do his job. You hit the nail on the head as far as Milwaukee's problems go. It's a bureaucratic organization. The best sports organizations always have a centralized organization.

The starting backcourt doesn't play any defense or pass the ball OK, so, that's another nail hit on the head. :D

I think Gherardini will make a fine GM. He will trade players with bad skills/contracts and get better players at a discount, like he helped do in Toronto, which will soon be set up to sign a major free agent. Unfortunately, like Chuck said, if Kohl is watching over Gherardini's shoulder, Gherardini won't be able to do anything.