Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian Goorjian (head coach of the Australian National Team) resigns as Sydney's coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Goorjian (head coach of the Australian National Team) resigns as Sydney's coach

nbl.com.au
    Goorj says goodbye
    Wed, 26 Mar 2008 9:57 AM

Sydney head coach Brian Goorjian issued a statement to media on Monday advising that he would be leaving the Kings.

The full statement is below:

Media representatives are advised that my relationship with the Sydney Kings ended on Sunday, March 16 after agreed early termination of my contract.

I take this opportunity to thank the people of Sydney for their tremendous and unwavering support of myself and the team during a wonderful six season run that provided me with some of the most exciting and fulfilling experiences of my professional life.

I am fortunate to have been part of three NBL championship-winning teams and to reach five grand final series during my time with the Kings in Sydney, and they are memories I will cherish for ever.

I also take this opportunity to thank the owners, front-office staff, players, coaches and support teams I have worked with.

In closing, I wish the Sydney Kings and all associated with the club the very best for the future, and I look forward to the next chapter in my professional life.

At this time I am not in a position to make any comment on future employment.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

There's no doubt that Coach Goorjian will definitely stay in Australia...

nbl.com.au

Prowling Wildcats ready to Goorj
    Wed, 26 Mar 2008 4:14 PM

The Perth Wildcats have indicated they are keen to speak to former Sydney King Brian Goorjian about their vacant head coaching position but believe the South Dragons have the front running to snare the legendary guru.

Wildcats CEO Nick Marvin told AAP that his team would be approaching Goorjian, after the Sydney coach announced he had split from the Kings in a media statement on Monday.

“We're very interested, we understand it's between us and the Dragons but if I were to bet I would say he may have signed with the Dragons,” Marvin said.

“We are looking for a coach and he's a super coach, he's the number one choice and we hope to talk to him (soon).”

The Dragons won only five of their 30 games in season 2007/08 and took out the wooden spoon, prompting them to part ways with player/coach Shane Heal late in the season and install assistant Guy Molloy as interim leader for the remainder of the campaign.

The Wildcats have been looking for a new head coach after recently announcing that Scott Fisher had decided to return to the US.

The Herald Sun’s Grantley Bernard reported that the Dragons are expected to meet with Goorjian to try to lure him back to Melbourne.

"We are allowed to talk to him now and we will," Dragons chairman Mark Cowan told Bernard.

"We want to try to talk to him soon."

Cowan said Goorjian was clearly Australia’s premier coach.

"We don't think there's any doubt Brian is the best coach in the country," Cowan said.

"We would be silly not to try very hard to make him our coach. We'd like to get something done and make an announcement on a coach as soon as we possibly can. We have to make a decision soon."

Molloy has reportedly been interviewed for the Dragons job as has former Townsville Crocodiles leader Ian Stacker, while Brisbane Bullets coach Joey Wright was also speculated to be in South’s sights.

Cowan said the club hoped to move quickly to secure Goorjian.

"Ultimately, it just depends how quickly we can sit down and resolve it," Cowan said. "We have to make a decision on a coach really soon."
    -El Padrino

Comment

Whoever sign him will definitely be a contender for next season's NBL... he's a great coach... too bad Sydney Kings let him go...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar
        too bad Sydney Kings let him go...
        Actually, he just quit according to numerous sources such as "The Sydney Morning Herald" and "The Australian" because of the financial difficulties that the club were going through during the season, whereby according to Goorjian, one week prior it was uncertain of how much or whether or not players, coaches and staff would be paid in full. Basketball is definitely dying in Sydney even though 10,200 people watched game 5 (full house) in the Sydney Entertainment Centre. In Game 1, only 3,000 showed up in a 10,200 seated stadium.
        -El Padrino

Comment

the kings are definitely heading towards the sh1tter
          a lot of their blue chip players are abandoning the king ship

Comment

It's just a shame that there is little interest in basketball in Sydney...

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information