• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEABA Champions Cup [April 3-7, 2008 | Jakarta]

Ex-RP coach adds to woes of Harbour’s Seaba squad
    By Jasmine W. Payo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 06:17:00 03/26/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines will compete against a familiar figure in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup.

Former national coach Boysie Zamar will call the shots for Malaysia in the Champions Cup, slated April 3 to 7, where the Philippines is defending the title through four-time PBL champion Harbour Centre.

“I have mixed emotions,” said Zamar. “Of course, I’m a Filipino. But this is just a job.”

Zamar said he might tap a Filipino player as a second import of the Malaysian national team, which is already reinforced by 6-foot-4 import Chris Cuete of Cameroon.

“I might get an ex-PBA center,” said Zamar, who also worked in Jakarta in the last two years as head coach of Aspac Putra in the Indonesian Basketball League (IBL).

“Malaysia got me because I’m from the Philippines and I’m familiar with our game. But I can only do so much as a coach.”

Coach Jorge Gallent said the development is another cause for worry for the Harbour five.

“We can’t undermine Coach Boysie’s skills and the preparation they’re doing,” said Gallent.

Yet Zamar believes the Philippines will still dominate the tournament even with Nigerian Sam Ekwe of San Beda College as its only import.

“To be frank, Malaysia will be okay if it finishes No. 2,” said Zamar. “Our goal is very realistic. We just want to qualify in the Champions Cup and try to beat Indonesia and Thailand.”
    SMART GILAS: all the way

RP-Harbour faces tall order in SEABA tilt
    Source: The Manila Times | March 23, 2008

Despite the addition of San Beda star Sam Ekwe in its line-up, winning the SEABA Club championship for the second straight year is not a sure thing for Harbour Centre-Philippine team.

For one, host Indonesia is reportedly getting two tough imports in its burning desire to get back at RP-Harbour team when the import-laden annual tournament begins on April 3 in Jakarta.

Though reinforced by imports Julius Nwosu and Vidal Massiah, and several other PBL stars, Harbour-RP squad still experienced some scary moments before turning back the determined challenge of the Indons in the one-game title showdown watched by hundreds of Filipino migrants.

Without Nwosu and Massiah to call and defend against Indonesia's imports this time, the task ahead looks extremely difficult for Harbour-RP team.

With little time to prepare and contact top caliber players in the United States and Europe, Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero and his trusted lieutenant Erick Arejola decided to stick with their PBL line-up plus Ekwe for tournament that will also be participated by Malaysia and Thailand.

The team is on roll, winning the last four tournaments in the country's premier amateur league. But the coming tournament will be a different story.

Though Romero and Arejola have high respect for their players, they both remain wary of their title-retention bid since they don't have any idea on who will be Indonesia's imports.

Thailand and Malaysia are not expected to play with imports.

"Right now, we're facing a blank wall," said Romero. "Just like last year, we have to play passionately to overcome the odds and keep our dominance in the region."

"It's not easy to play against a team with two imports. Last year, we also had two imports but we still struggled to win the title," added Romero, who turned 37 on Holy Friday.

According to Arejola, Ekwe, the tallest in the team at 6'7", has been practicing with the Harbour-RP team since Monday but coach Jorge Gallent is still looking for a big man.

"If we can get another big man, then I can say that we are ready to defend our title," said Gallent. "What will happen to us if Sam gets into foul trouble early?"

Jason Castro, TY Tang, Beau Belga, Chad Alonzo, Jonathan Fernandez and Solomon Mercado are cinch to make it into the team. The final composition of the team will be announced this week.

Unlike last year, Harbour-RP team can't afford to drop a game since it's going to be a short tournament with the No. 1 team in the round-robin winning the title.

Comment

RP-Harbour still looking for big man
      by Jasmine W. Payo
      Source: INQUIRER.net | March 23, 2008

Harbour Centre hopes to tap another big man when it represents the Philippines in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup in Jakarta from April 3 to 7.

Batang Pier coach Jorge Gallent said the country will improve its title-retention bid if it finds a reliever for Nigerian Sam Ekwe, the 6-foot-8 San Beda center tapped to reinforce the four-time PBL champion.

"If we can get another big man, then I can say that we are ready to defend our title," said Gallent. "What will happen to us if Sam gets into foul trouble early?"

An all-amateur Philippine team led by Jason Castro and beefed up by former PBA imports Julius Nwosu and Vidal Massiah captured the Seaba club championship last year.

But Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero remains wary of Indonesia, last year's runner-up, even if Castro will suit up anew for the national squad.

"It's not easy to play against a team with two imports," said Romero. "Last year, we also had two imports but we still struggled to win the title."

Romero previously floated the idea of borrowing Fil-Am Gabe Norwood from Hapee Toothpaste and Eric Rodriguez from Toyota Otis.

"Everything at this point is tentative," noted Romero.

Hiring late reinforcements from the United States or Europe has been ruled out. An Indonesian team bannering two imports dealt the Philippines' lone loss during the elimination round last year.

This year's tournament format will pit teams in a round-robin contest with the top finisher emerging champion.

"Right now, we're facing a blank wall [regarding our opponents]," said Romero. "Just like last year, we have to play passionately to overcome the odds and keep our dominance in the region."

Comment

Gabe Norwood, Jervy Cruz, Rico Maierhoffer and San Beda's 6'7" Kevin Emeka Udo would help RP Team to retain the crown. It's only for four days, they could get these players.

Comment

I bet Indonesia has some surprises. The Philippines should borrow Japeth Aguilar from WKU or even Gian Chiu.
          you know why I am happy

Comment

Classes in the states ends in late May or early June.

Comment

These 2 high caliber competitions (Fiba Asia Champions Cup & Jones Cup) that Harbour will join, will help Jason Castro reach his potential.
              Btw, I think he is capable of leading the import-less RP team to a SEABA victory.

It will be a great learning experience, for someone who is most probably the RP team's next great point guard.
              Last edited by super_defender; 03-27-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by super_defender
                These 2 high caliber competitions that Harbour will join, will help Jason Castro reach his potential. It will be a great learning experience, for someone who is most probably the RP team's next great point guard.
                Yes, he is going to be a great player. He is now being referred to as the "Leandro Barbosa of the Philippines" because of his speed. The "Filipino Blur".

Comment

I believe that somebody referred to him before as the "Tony Parker of Asia"

Comment

How old is Jason Castro by the way?

Guys correct me if im wrong but the way I understand this is that Jason Castro took 7 years in college..check this out in (the commentator mentioned this at the end of the video)

Superstar Jason down by a 20 points in the 4th quarter leads the attack against the Champion RL. Castro's signature fastbreak layup to spark the comeback by ...
                    Last edited by rikhardur; 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM. Reason: Posts merged: short time between consecutive posts

Comment

not sure about his age but this looks interesting:

JASON CASTRO, 5'10” 155 pounds, Guard
                      Castro first came into the consciousness of the more mainstream hoops fans when PCU won the 2004 NCAA Seniors Championship. Castro was then considered as an able sidekick to PCU superstar Gabriel Espinas. Since then Castro has blossomed into arguably the best two-way guard in the NCAA, becoming a force on his own while making his team better. Thanks to the ever-improving Castro, the Dolphins have been in the NCAA Finals for the last three years.

Castro brings good size and athleticism to a position that demands ample amounts of both qualities, and has become the benchmark for NCAA guards who want to play both the 1 and 2 positions. He can stay toe to toe with pure point guards like Boyet Bautista as well as tall combo-guards like Kelvin Dela Pena. He can shoot, penetrate, pass, defend and rebound, making him a valuable asset on both ends of the court.

Hardcore Cred : Were it not for a bad case of cramps in Game 3 of the Season 82 Finals, Castro might have singlehandedly brought the PCU Dolphins back to the Promised Land. His heads-up playmaking, hustle on defense, and very vocal encouragement saw the Dolphins come back from almost 20 points down against the mighty San Beda Red Lions until his legs betrayed him. And the truly wonderful thing is that he was doing this all throughout the regular season and Final 4 as well. Jason Castro is a sidekick no longer.
                      Play Cyberdunk: The best basketball you can play out side the NBA

Comment

PBA is going to start this march 29. if there is an import or imports that will not do well, they take it as an import. im sure that import will play only a game in the PBA and will be replaced.
                        "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by ramiscar
                          not sure about his age but this looks interesting:

JASON CASTRO, 5'10” 155 pounds, Guard
                          Castro first came into the consciousness of the more mainstream hoops fans when PCU won the 2004 NCAA Seniors Championship. Castro was then considered as an able sidekick to PCU superstar Gabriel Espinas. Since then Castro has blossomed into arguably the best two-way guard in the NCAA, becoming a force on his own while making his team better. Thanks to the ever-improving Castro, the Dolphins have been in the NCAA Finals for the last three years.

Castro brings good size and athleticism to a position that demands ample amounts of both qualities, and has become the benchmark for NCAA guards who want to play both the 1 and 2 positions. He can stay toe to toe with pure point guards like Boyet Bautista as well as tall combo-guards like Kelvin Dela Pena. He can shoot, penetrate, pass, defend and rebound, making him a valuable asset on both ends of the court.

Hardcore Cred : Were it not for a bad case of cramps in Game 3 of the Season 82 Finals, Castro might have singlehandedly brought the PCU Dolphins back to the Promised Land. His heads-up playmaking, hustle on defense, and very vocal encouragement saw the Dolphins come back from almost 20 points down against the mighty San Beda Red Lions until his legs betrayed him. And the truly wonderful thing is that he was doing this all throughout the regular season and Final 4 as well. Jason Castro is a sidekick no longer.
                          I think this was taken from the gameface.ph website. I suggest you cite your sources, & provide a link also when you are quoting information from another website.
                          Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

The Filipino Blur?

Originally posted by super_defender
                            I believe that somebody referred to him before as the "Tony Parker of Asia"
                            It was Benjie Paras and Jolly Escobar that gave Castro the name "Leandro Barbosa of the Philippines" in one television broadcast of the PBL. They attribute that because of Castro's blinding speed on the hardcourt.

Comment

I'd say that he's the JASON CASTRO WILLIAM of the Philippines

Anyway i read it somewhere that SEABA Champions cup is with conflict with the PBL post season schedule. So that leaves SBP-BAP with NBC and MVBL teams?
                              you know why I am happy

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information