PDA

View Full Version : SEABA Champions Cup [April 3-7, 2008 | Jakarta]

bolabasket
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Ex-RP coach adds to woes of Harbour’s Seaba squad
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 06:17:00 03/26/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines will compete against a familiar figure in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup.

Former national coach Boysie Zamar will call the shots for Malaysia in the Champions Cup, slated April 3 to 7, where the Philippines is defending the title through four-time PBL champion Harbour Centre.

“I have mixed emotions,” said Zamar. “Of course, I’m a Filipino. But this is just a job.”

Zamar said he might tap a Filipino player as a second import of the Malaysian national team, which is already reinforced by 6-foot-4 import Chris Cuete of Cameroon.

“I might get an ex-PBA center,” said Zamar, who also worked in Jakarta in the last two years as head coach of Aspac Putra in the Indonesian Basketball League (IBL).

“Malaysia got me because I’m from the Philippines and I’m familiar with our game. But I can only do so much as a coach.”

Coach Jorge Gallent said the development is another cause for worry for the Harbour five.

“We can’t undermine Coach Boysie’s skills and the preparation they’re doing,” said Gallent.

Yet Zamar believes the Philippines will still dominate the tournament even with Nigerian Sam Ekwe of San Beda College as its only import.

“To be frank, Malaysia will be okay if it finishes No. 2,” said Zamar. “Our goal is very realistic. We just want to qualify in the Champions Cup and try to beat Indonesia and Thailand.”

bolabasket
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
RP-Harbour faces tall order in SEABA tilt
Source: The Manila Times | March 23, 2008

Despite the addition of San Beda star Sam Ekwe in its line-up, winning the SEABA Club championship for the second straight year is not a sure thing for Harbour Centre-Philippine team.

For one, host Indonesia is reportedly getting two tough imports in its burning desire to get back at RP-Harbour team when the import-laden annual tournament begins on April 3 in Jakarta.

Though reinforced by imports Julius Nwosu and Vidal Massiah, and several other PBL stars, Harbour-RP squad still experienced some scary moments before turning back the determined challenge of the Indons in the one-game title showdown watched by hundreds of Filipino migrants.

Without Nwosu and Massiah to call and defend against Indonesia's imports this time, the task ahead looks extremely difficult for Harbour-RP team.

With little time to prepare and contact top caliber players in the United States and Europe, Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero and his trusted lieutenant Erick Arejola decided to stick with their PBL line-up plus Ekwe for tournament that will also be participated by Malaysia and Thailand.

The team is on roll, winning the last four tournaments in the country's premier amateur league. But the coming tournament will be a different story.

Though Romero and Arejola have high respect for their players, they both remain wary of their title-retention bid since they don't have any idea on who will be Indonesia's imports.

Thailand and Malaysia are not expected to play with imports.

"Right now, we're facing a blank wall," said Romero. "Just like last year, we have to play passionately to overcome the odds and keep our dominance in the region."

"It's not easy to play against a team with two imports. Last year, we also had two imports but we still struggled to win the title," added Romero, who turned 37 on Holy Friday.

According to Arejola, Ekwe, the tallest in the team at 6'7", has been practicing with the Harbour-RP team since Monday but coach Jorge Gallent is still looking for a big man.

"If we can get another big man, then I can say that we are ready to defend our title," said Gallent. "What will happen to us if Sam gets into foul trouble early?"

Jason Castro, TY Tang, Beau Belga, Chad Alonzo, Jonathan Fernandez and Solomon Mercado are cinch to make it into the team. The final composition of the team will be announced this week.

Unlike last year, Harbour-RP team can't afford to drop a game since it's going to be a short tournament with the No. 1 team in the round-robin winning the title.

bolabasket
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
RP-Harbour still looking for big man
by Jasmine W. Payo
Source: INQUIRER.net | March 23, 2008

Harbour Centre hopes to tap another big man when it represents the Philippines in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup in Jakarta from April 3 to 7.

Batang Pier coach Jorge Gallent said the country will improve its title-retention bid if it finds a reliever for Nigerian Sam Ekwe, the 6-foot-8 San Beda center tapped to reinforce the four-time PBL champion.

"If we can get another big man, then I can say that we are ready to defend our title," said Gallent. "What will happen to us if Sam gets into foul trouble early?"

An all-amateur Philippine team led by Jason Castro and beefed up by former PBA imports Julius Nwosu and Vidal Massiah captured the Seaba club championship last year.

But Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero remains wary of Indonesia, last year's runner-up, even if Castro will suit up anew for the national squad.

"It's not easy to play against a team with two imports," said Romero. "Last year, we also had two imports but we still struggled to win the title."

Romero previously floated the idea of borrowing Fil-Am Gabe Norwood from Hapee Toothpaste and Eric Rodriguez from Toyota Otis.

"Everything at this point is tentative," noted Romero.

Hiring late reinforcements from the United States or Europe has been ruled out. An Indonesian team bannering two imports dealt the Philippines' lone loss during the elimination round last year.

This year's tournament format will pit teams in a round-robin contest with the top finisher emerging champion.

"Right now, we're facing a blank wall [regarding our opponents]," said Romero. "Just like last year, we have to play passionately to overcome the odds and keep our dominance in the region."

The_Big_Cat
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Gabe Norwood, Jervy Cruz, Rico Maierhoffer and San Beda's 6'7" Kevin Emeka Udo would help RP Team to retain the crown. It's only for four days, they could get these players.

b3lowzro
03-27-2008, 12:32 AM
I bet Indonesia has some surprises. The Philippines should borrow Japeth Aguilar from WKU or even Gian Chiu.

The_Big_Cat
03-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Classes in the states ends in late May or early June.

super_defender
03-27-2008, 07:21 AM
These 2 high caliber competitions (Fiba Asia Champions Cup & Jones Cup) that Harbour will join, will help Jason Castro reach his potential.
Btw, I think he is capable of leading the import-less RP team to a SEABA victory.

It will be a great learning experience, for someone who is most probably the RP team's next great point guard.

The_Big_Cat
03-27-2008, 07:29 AM
These 2 high caliber competitions that Harbour will join, will help Jason Castro reach his potential. It will be a great learning experience, for someone who is most probably the RP team's next great point guard.

Yes, he is going to be a great player. He is now being referred to as the "Leandro Barbosa of the Philippines" because of his speed. The "Filipino Blur".

super_defender
03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I believe that somebody referred to him before as the "Tony Parker of Asia" :)

super_defender
03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
How old is Jason Castro by the way?

Guys correct me if im wrong but the way I understand this is that Jason Castro took 7 years in college..check this out in (the commentator mentioned this at the end of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRdjeUxeNo&feature=related

ramiscar
03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
not sure about his age but this looks interesting:

JASON CASTRO, 5'10” 155 pounds, Guard
Castro first came into the consciousness of the more mainstream hoops fans when PCU won the 2004 NCAA Seniors Championship. Castro was then considered as an able sidekick to PCU superstar Gabriel Espinas. Since then Castro has blossomed into arguably the best two-way guard in the NCAA, becoming a force on his own while making his team better. Thanks to the ever-improving Castro, the Dolphins have been in the NCAA Finals for the last three years.

Castro brings good size and athleticism to a position that demands ample amounts of both qualities, and has become the benchmark for NCAA guards who want to play both the 1 and 2 positions. He can stay toe to toe with pure point guards like Boyet Bautista as well as tall combo-guards like Kelvin Dela Pena. He can shoot, penetrate, pass, defend and rebound, making him a valuable asset on both ends of the court.

Hardcore Cred : Were it not for a bad case of cramps in Game 3 of the Season 82 Finals, Castro might have singlehandedly brought the PCU Dolphins back to the Promised Land. His heads-up playmaking, hustle on defense, and very vocal encouragement saw the Dolphins come back from almost 20 points down against the mighty San Beda Red Lions until his legs betrayed him. And the truly wonderful thing is that he was doing this all throughout the regular season and Final 4 as well. Jason Castro is a sidekick no longer.

ankle breaker
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
PBA is going to start this march 29. if there is an import or imports that will not do well, they take it as an import. im sure that import will play only a game in the PBA and will be replaced.

rhk111
03-28-2008, 12:56 AM
not sure about his age but this looks interesting:

JASON CASTRO, 5'10” 155 pounds, Guard
Castro first came into the consciousness of the more mainstream hoops fans when PCU won the 2004 NCAA Seniors Championship. Castro was then considered as an able sidekick to PCU superstar Gabriel Espinas. Since then Castro has blossomed into arguably the best two-way guard in the NCAA, becoming a force on his own while making his team better. Thanks to the ever-improving Castro, the Dolphins have been in the NCAA Finals for the last three years.

Castro brings good size and athleticism to a position that demands ample amounts of both qualities, and has become the benchmark for NCAA guards who want to play both the 1 and 2 positions. He can stay toe to toe with pure point guards like Boyet Bautista as well as tall combo-guards like Kelvin Dela Pena. He can shoot, penetrate, pass, defend and rebound, making him a valuable asset on both ends of the court.

Hardcore Cred : Were it not for a bad case of cramps in Game 3 of the Season 82 Finals, Castro might have singlehandedly brought the PCU Dolphins back to the Promised Land. His heads-up playmaking, hustle on defense, and very vocal encouragement saw the Dolphins come back from almost 20 points down against the mighty San Beda Red Lions until his legs betrayed him. And the truly wonderful thing is that he was doing this all throughout the regular season and Final 4 as well. Jason Castro is a sidekick no longer.

I think this was taken from the gameface.ph website. I suggest you cite your sources, & provide a link also when you are quoting information from another website.

The_Big_Cat
03-28-2008, 02:20 AM
I believe that somebody referred to him before as the "Tony Parker of Asia" :)

It was Benjie Paras and Jolly Escobar that gave Castro the name "Leandro Barbosa of the Philippines" in one television broadcast of the PBL. They attribute that because of Castro's blinding speed on the hardcourt.

b3lowzro
03-28-2008, 02:30 AM
I'd say that he's the JASON CASTRO WILLIAM of the Philippines

Anyway i read it somewhere that SEABA Champions cup is with conflict with the PBL post season schedule. So that leaves SBP-BAP with NBC and MVBL teams?

ramiscar
03-28-2008, 03:03 AM
I think this was taken from the gameface.ph website. I suggest you cite your sources, & provide a link also when you are quoting information from another website.

yes it was, sorry i wasn't able to put the source because I forgot!!!! And I don't need you suggesting that to me!! Coz I already know that!!
this is not the first time it happended here!!
I suggest you tell that to all the guys that do this here!! not only me!!!
Anyways are from cebu?? coz I'm from cebu!!!
If I see u just wait n see!!! [Unnecessary]

to make you happy it was taken from this link
http://www.gameface.ph/articles/article011107a.php

rhk111
03-28-2008, 03:30 AM
yes it was, sorry i wasn't able to put the source because I forgot!!!! And I don't need you suggesting that to me!! Coz I already know that!!
this is not the first time it happended here!!
I suggest you tell that to all the guys that do this here!! not only me!!!
Anyways are from cebu?? coz I'm from cebu!!!
If I see u just wait n see!!! [Unnecessary]

to make you happy it was taken from this link
http://www.gameface.ph/articles/article011107a.php

You should be humble enough to admit & correct your mistake, instead of being defensive about it. I told you in a nice way, not in a demeaning way, so be a man enough to take it.

By the way, if you already knew about it, how come you didn't do it?

ramiscar
03-28-2008, 04:20 AM
You should be humble enough to admit & correct your mistake, instead of being defensive about it. I told you in a nice way, not in a demeaning way, so be a man enough to take it.

By the way, if you already knew about it, how come you didn't do it?

As I said I forgot! I'm only human not like you, coz you're a God. [Unnecessary]
And how come you're not calling the attention of the other guys doing this?? Call the attention of the other guys to be fair!!!
Or maybe you have something personal against me then just tell me!! We'll settle it somewhere else if you're man enough to face me...

kerouac82
03-28-2008, 04:58 AM
I as said I forgot! I'm only human not like you, coz you're a God.(hambog)
And how come you're not calling the attention of the other guys doing this?? Call the attention of the other guys to be fair!!!
Or maybe you have something personal against me then just tell me!! We'll settle it somewhere else if you're man enough to face me...

Easy with the smack talk, man. Things like these don't help Pinoys' images online any.

ramiscar
03-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Easy with the smack talk, man. Things like these don't help Pinoys' images online any.

say that to rk11111.. I'm just posting here like anybody does and minding my own business.. Not acting like as if I was the moderator..

rhk111
03-28-2008, 06:16 AM
As I said I forgot! I'm only human not like you, coz you're a God.(hambog)

[Unnecessary]

Call the attention of other guys here? Which other guys, [Unnecessary]? Maybe you're just [Unnecessary] enough to say that to try to lose face.

[Unnecessary]

rhk111
03-28-2008, 06:18 AM
say that to rk11111.. I'm just posting here like anybody does and minding my own business.. Not acting like as if I was the moderator..

You're [Unnecessary], & a plagiarist, copying & pasting stuff here without citing sources. Go climb a tree [Unnecessary].

super_defender
03-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Hey ramiscar, you better show some maturity in your comments. rhk111 was only trying to help, its a good thing we have responsible guys like him in this forum, just accept ur mistake and learn form it.

It's not healthy for fellow Filipino basketball fans to argue here.

super_defender
03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
How old is Jason Castro by the way?

Guys correct me if im wrong but the way I understand this is that Jason Castro took 7 years in college..check this out in (the commentator mentioned this at the end of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRdjeUxeNo&feature=related

heys guys did he take 7 yrs in college? Anyway, I seldom hear of a guy with "William" for a surname its always Williams with an "S" (Jason Castro William).

The_Big_Cat
03-28-2008, 07:35 AM

He's right.

Let's just move on.

10percentjuice
03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I know this is the Philippines forum, but does anybody have any information on the Malaysian, Thai, and Indonesian teams appearing in the tournament? Also, any idea on the venue?

ankle breaker
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
scouting has been done but they seldom post it here. the only thing known here is that the coach of the malaysian team is a filipino and former mentor of UE and the philippine team.

Burndvinyard
03-29-2008, 03:30 AM
that coach should never show his face here in the phil.
he disgust me

hmm...if you were asked and offered to be the head coach of Taiwanese/Korean national team, would you accept it?;)

filipino coaches are everywhere, buddy. that only shows that we don't just have quality players. but quality coaches as well...on a certain leverl, of course.:cool:

Project_Olympics
03-29-2008, 04:24 AM
hmm...if you were asked and offered to be the head coach of Taiwanese/Korean national team, would you accept it?;)

filipino coaches are everywhere, buddy. that only shows that we don't just have quality players. but quality coaches as well...on a certain leverl, of course.:cool:

NO i wont accept it
but is it necessary to coach a team that is an opponent of an rp team -_-

rhk111
03-29-2008, 04:51 AM
I think we should FLATTERED that Malaysia is hiring a Pinoy Coach for one of their teams. It shows that have high regard for the level of basketball in the Philippines. If they didn't think so, they wouldn't have hired him in the first place.

For Boysie Zamar, its just another job that he needs to do well, to allow him to put food on the table.

b3lowzro
03-29-2008, 05:34 AM
I think we should FLATTERED that Malaysia is hiring a Pinoy Coach for one of their teams. It shows that have high regard for the level of basketball in the Philippines. If they didn't think so, they wouldn't have hired him in the first place.

For Boysie Zamar, its just another job that he needs to do well, to allow him to put food on the table.

Well i think the Malaysians have improved their game. After watching the game against RP in the latest SEAGAMES, i bet in a few years they'll be inline with Indonesia already. And I saw that they also have some players that can dunk

Project_Olympics
03-29-2008, 12:56 PM
what if rp team lost to the malaysian team?
who must be blame?

b3lowzro
03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
what if rp team lost to the malaysian team?
who must be blame?
well the answer is the RP team!!! Its not the Malaysians fault if ever the Philippines loses. And coaching is a career for Boysie Zamar and i bet he has not been given a chance to coach here.

rhk111
03-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, if the RP Team loses to the Malaysian team, then I guess you have to consider a couple of factors.

What kind of Malaysian team did we lose to? Was it a reinforced team, or was it an all Malaysian team?

Even if we did lose, you have to also consider what kind of team we sent that lost to the Malaysian team. I mean, basketball is so popular here, that we have many leagues, & therefore many teams can be formed. But everyone knows that the best players in the country are in the PBA.

Lastly, I am pretty secure when it comes to basketball when it comes to ANY of the South East Asian teams, simply because NONE of them can match the kind of infrastructure we have here in terms of basketball.

Here in the Philippines, basketball is so popular that players get tracked even in High School. Our collegiate leagues are very popular. You can't say the same for other SEA countries, because basketball is not as popular there as it is here.

Not only do these SEA do not have the kind of basketbal infrastructure that we have, they also do not have the height and/or athleticism to make up for it (unlike the Asian or Middle Eastern countries).

So as far as SEA basketball is concerned, am pretty secure about where we are right now. I think we should share our strengths w/ our SEA neighbors, if they ask for it.

C2Hamm
03-30-2008, 04:29 AM
well the answer is the RP team!!! Its not the Malaysians fault if ever the Philippines loses. And coaching is a career for Boysie Zamar and i bet he has not been given a chance to coach here.
and1

he needs to work to give food to his family. if Malaysia can give him a better package, why turn it down? for the flag? let's face it, if its nationality against your family's well being who would you pick?
if we lost, like what b3low said, its the RP team's fault. why didn't we prepare more? why didn't we send better players? why didn't we get a better coach?

RayV
03-30-2008, 04:42 AM
It's not really that big of an issue if someone from your country coaches an opposing country's team. If I were the coach I'd be quite flattered to know that other countries recognize my/our talent in the field of basketball. China had an American coach when they clashed against Team USA but I don't think the latter protested about it... :)

Project_Olympics
03-30-2008, 04:50 AM
ok fine, my bad, hehehe...
-case close-

C2Hamm
03-30-2008, 05:18 AM
why can't japeth or gian or jerico join the Harbour team? what's 2 weeks? also, if gabe joining the team?

Project_Olympics
03-30-2008, 11:16 PM
i think the reason is age or schedule

C2Hamm
03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
i think the reason is age or schedule
age? there's an age requirement in the PBL backed national team?

bolabasket
03-31-2008, 02:12 AM
Ekwe Harbour Centre-RP’s sole import

By Joel Orellana
Reporter

THE country’s bid to retain the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup now lies heavily on the broad shoulders of Nigerian Sam Ekwe.

This, after the coaching staff and management of the Harbour Centre-backed Philippine team opted not to get any foreign reinforcement besides Ekwe for the four-nation tournament slated this week in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Team manager Erick Arejola said they decided to stick with Ekwe in order not to disrupt the team’s chemistry.

“It maybe too late for us to get a second import because he might need time to adjust with the other players,” said Arejola. “But we are hoping that Sam can get the job done for us.”

Team consultant Junel Baculi also believes that Ekwe can help the country defend the Seaba title even if he lacks certain offensive skills.

Alex Crisano was reportedly being considered by the team as its second import, but that didn’t materialize. They also considered Gabe Norwood but his Hapee Toothpaste squad has games during the Seaba tournament.

Crisano, a six-foot-seven center, played for the Harbour Centre-backed training team for the Southeast Asian Games last year but failed to secure documents that would support his Filipino lineage and was dropped from the roster.

Ekwe, responsible for San Beda College’s back-to-back titles in the National Collegiate Athletic Association, has been practising with the team that would be coached by Jorge Gallent for almost a month now. He has been watching the games of Harbour Centre in the Philippine Basketball League to familiarize himself with his would-be teammates.

“I’ll give my best to help the team win,” said the six-foot-eight Ekwe, who in the Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) wants naturalized so he could play for the country.

The national team will leave on Wednesday. The Filipino dribblers face Thailand on April 4, host Indonesia on the next day and Malaysia on April 6.

Curiously, the Malaysian basketball team is being handled by former national coach Boyzie Zamar.

With Ekwe as the team’s only import, Gallent hopes that his other big men like Beau Belga and Jerwin Gaco could hold against the other teams’ imports. Jason Castro, Al Vergara, Jonathan Fernandez, Boyet Bautista, Filipino-American Solomon Mercado, TY Tang and Jeff Chan are expected to make the final lineup of the team.

The top two teams in the Seaba tournament will qualify to the FIBA Asia Champions Cup in Kuwait from May 18 to 26. This tournament is also being offered by BAP-SBP to Harbour Centre.

The_Big_Cat
03-31-2008, 02:16 AM
why can't japeth or gian or jerico join the Harbour team? what's 2 weeks? also, if gabe joining the team?

Classes in the US end by late May or early June.

Hapee is reluctant to lend Norwood to the SEABA tournament because they currently contending in the PBL. With the frustration of Hapee management not bagging the crown last conference, they are "hell bent" in winning this conference.

ankle breaker
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
yeah, hapee can't lend norwood to their mortal nemesis.:D

JET007
04-01-2008, 02:48 AM
naturalize ekwe!!! :)

The_Big_Cat
04-01-2008, 03:05 AM
naturalize ekwe!!! :)

Not just yet. They have inserted Ekwe as an import to this team to see if he could play the international style of play.

But I would like to see him naturalized.Ekwe has been here for quite a while. Same goes to Kirk Long, he might become another Alex Compton?

kerouac82
04-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Not just yet. They have inserted Ekwe as an import to this team to see if he could play the international style of play.

But I would like to see him naturalized.Ekwe has been here for quite a while. Same goes to Kirk Long, he might become another Alex Compton?

If I remember correctly, Compton never acquired Filipino citizenship. It would've been nice if he did so earlier in his career, though.

C2Hamm
04-01-2008, 04:06 AM
i want sam to marry a tall Filipina.

darkknight1200
04-01-2008, 04:29 AM
i want sam to marry a tall Filipina.
Isn't Sam supposed to become a priest someday?

The_Big_Cat
04-01-2008, 05:04 AM
I would like to see for foreign players who choose to study here, get the well-deserve recognition by being naturalized. This is their second home. I hope they ( Udo, Long, Burke, Batricevic etc.) would become high caliber players someday.

bolabasket
04-01-2008, 06:41 AM
yeah. after graduation, his next tour of duty will be in Bukidnon to start his calling...

rensquared
04-01-2008, 08:35 AM
He really wants to be a priest???

FEIFEI
04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Any one can tell me how many teams will play in the SEABA Champions Cup April 3-7, 2008 ?
Who are they?The NT Team or club?

b3lowzro
04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Any one can tell me how many teams will play in the SEABA Champions Cup April 3-7, 2008 ?
Who are they?The NT Team or club?

teams that have confirmed already are the RP-Harbour Centre, The Malaysian national Team, the Champs of IBL, i guess and maybe the Singapore or Vietnamese team

ankle breaker
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
i think harbor can still win it even if they only have ekwe as their import. asean countries are not not just yet in the peak when it comes to basketball in this region compared to RP.

darkknight1200
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
He really wants to be a priest???

I think he is a seminarian at San Beda. I'm not so sure, though...

ankle breaker
04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Foreigners Ekwe, Udo could be "naturalized' to strengthen RP 5

by Hector Santos - Mar 5, 2008
THE Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) is looking at foreign players who could reinforce the national team in international competitions. And the primary object of the BAP-SBP's desire is San Beda's Samuel Ekwe (203-C), the six-foot-eight Nigerian who was heavily responsible for the Red Lions' back-to-back titles in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 2006 and 2007.
THE Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) is looking at foreign players who could reinforce the national team in international competitions.

And the primary object of the BAP-SBP's desire is San Beda's Samuel Ekwe (203-C), the six-foot-eight Nigerian who was heavily responsible for the Red Lions' back-to-back titles in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 2006 and 2007.

BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio told that Ekwe, and another Nigerian, six-foot-seven Kevin Emeka Udo, will backstop the Harbour Centre national squad in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Championship set from April 2 to 6 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

'In principle, okey na sa NCAA Management Committee and San Beda, but we're still formalizing it,' said Gregorio.

The Harbour Centre-backed national team is the defending champion of the Seaba tournament.

Gregorio said the BAP-SBP could also move further, and this is to make Ekwe a naturalized citizen, so much so that he could be eligible for major international competitions such as the Asian Games and Fiba tournaments.

'Why Ekwe? He's been here for a long time and he's a very good man. So, why not make him our naturalized player. Tutal dito naman siya nag-aaral, and I think he will be a big help to our national team,' said Gregorio.

Ekwe's stint at the Seaba tourney will be a test of sorts, Gregorio said, because the BAP-SBP wants to know the pulse of the people on the Nigerian's naturalization.

Ekwe, 25, will play his final year with San Beda in the coming NCAA season, while Udo is only playing in the league for the first time.

FIBA allows each country to field one naturalized player.

'This is something that the BAP-SBP wants to look into seriously. Tutal, pinapayagan naman ng Fiba ang pag-naturalize so, why not grab the opportunity,' said Gregorio. 'Let's see how the people will react on this.'

During the 1980s, the Ron Jacobs-coached national team had naturalized players—Jeff Moore, Chip England and Dennis Still—and were successful in their overseas stints.

The Habour Centre-RP team won the Seaba crown last year with Nigerian Julius Nwosu and Vidal Messiah as reinforcements.(Joel Orellana/BusinessMirror)

The_Big_Cat
04-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Foreigners Ekwe, Udo could be "naturalized' to strengthen RP 5

During the 1980s, the Ron Jacobs-coached national team had naturalized players Jeff Moore, Chip England and Dennis Still and were successful in their overseas stints.

I recall they were originally 5 naturalized players from the US but Jacobs trimmed them to 3.

I cannot recall their names but Im sure they were originally five.

FEIFEI
04-02-2008, 01:33 AM
teams that have confirmed already are the RP-Harbour Centre, The Malaysian national Team, the Champs of IBL, i guess and maybe the Singapore or Vietnamese team
Is RP-Harbour Centre a PBA club with one import Ekwe?
Are the Singapore or Vietnamese team both the NT like Malaysian national Team?

ctongco
04-02-2008, 02:23 AM

Harbour Centre is a team from the Philippine Basketball League (PBL).

FEIFEI
04-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Harbour Centre is a team from the Philippine Basketball League (PBL).
Oh I see thanks ,Can you tell me what the difference of PBA and PBL?

10percentjuice
04-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Can someone also explain to me why the Malaysian NT is participating if it is a competition for clubs?

RayV
04-02-2008, 03:28 AM

PBA - Philippines' premier professional league
PBL - Philippines' premier semi-professional league that consists of top amateur players and free agents that can't get into a team in the PBA...

Analogy:

If in the US, the NBA is to NBDL, here, the PBA is to PBL... :D

b3lowzro
04-02-2008, 03:59 AM

PBL is the develomental league in the Philippines which you can compare to the NBDL of the NBA. Most of its players are college players, Fil Ams which are seeking residency period of 32 amateur games, Former colleges players whih cannot find a slot in the PBA and the former PBA players under 34 yrs old

Alex07
04-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Can someone also explain to me why the Malaysian NT is participating if it is a competition for clubs?

I guess they have the choice to send their best commercial team or national team on the tourney..They use is as a practice for their national team's future competitions.

Sakamoto
04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
OT
its you again Joel23 using another account.

Servinio
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I recall they were originally 5 naturalized players from the US but Jacobs trimmed them to 3.

I cannot recall their names but Im sure they were originally five.
Actually, it was not only five but a whole basketball team of foreigners that were first brought in by basketball project director Eduardo Cojuanco. It was easy to get naturalized -- all that was needed was a presidential decree from President Ferdinand E. Marcos.

Among the players were legitimate Fil-Ams Ricardo Brown and William Pearson, Jeffrey Moore and Dennis Still. Others on the team were the likes of Eddie Joe Chavez, Steve Schall, Steve Lingerfelter and Robert Worthy.

Brown and Pearson went to the PBA and only Still and Moore remained. The rest of the team went back to the United States. Later, Arthur Engelland, Johnny Nash and Jerome Hegwood were taken in.

Nash and Hegwood then were dropped in 1983, leaving the trio of Moore, Still and Engelland.

Servinio
04-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Note: rosters to be trimmed to 12 players at the team managers' meeting before the start of the tournament.

SATRIA MUDA BRITAMA
(Indonesia)

Players:
ACHMAD Faisal Julius
SONDAKH Youbel
JATI Wahya Widayat
SITEPU Christian Ronaldo
PRIHANTONO Amin
WIJAYA Wendha
SUMARGO Denny
SUNARKO Agung
GUNAWAN Ronny
SITUMORANG Wellyanson
HARTMAN Alexander (import)
SOBERS Jemino Kama (import)
JUNEIDI Bobby
ERIANO Dwui
GUNAWAN Anthony
DARMAWAN Calvin

Coach:
RORING Fictor Gideon

HARBOUR CENTRE BATANG PIER
(Philippines)

Players:
FERNANDEZ Jonathan
CASTRO Jason
BELGA Beau Michael
EKWE Samuel (import)
LEBLANC Michael Jamer (import)
MERCADO Solomon
BAUTISTA Boyet
CHAN Jeffrei Emmanuel
ASORO Edwin
TANG Tyrone Conrad
TAYLOR Chester
MALABANAN Gilbert
GACO Jerwin
VERGARA Al
ALONZO Richard
GAMBOA Allan
ABABOU Dylan

Coach:
GALLENT Jorge

darkknight1200
04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Note: rosters to be trimmed to 12 players at the team managers' meeting before the start of the tournament.

(Philippines)

Players:
FERNANDEZ Jonathan
CASTRO Jason
BELGA Beau Michael
EKWE Samuel (import)
LEBLANC Michael Jamer (import)
MERCADO Solomon
BAUTISTA Boyet
CHAN Jeffrei Emmanuel
ASORO Edwin
TANG Tyrone Conrad
TAYLOR Chester
MALABANAN Gilbert
GACO Jerwin
VERGARA Al
ALONZO Richard
GAMBOA Allan
ABABOU Dylan

Coach:
GALLENT Jorge

So we've got two imports after all! Thanks for the info!

RetiredJordanStopper
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Ekwe suspected as terrorist held at Jakarta airport

By Rey C. Lachica

JAKARTA, Indonesia — The flight from Manila to this Indonesian capital was calm and smooth.

But that was not the case when the Harbour Centre-Philippine team landed at the Soekarno Hatta International Airport where the team’s import was subjected to intense interrogation after being suspected of being a terrorist.

Sam Ekwe, the 6-8 Nigerian who won the NCAA rookie of the year and MVP awards for San Beda College in 2006 and one of the team’s imports, was detained for nearly five hours during which he was reportedly under heavy armed guard.

Earlier, the team’s other possible import in the SEABA Club Championship which starts Friday, American Michael Le Blanc, was held for 20 minutes at the immigration office when it turned out his passport was expiring in two months, a violation under the Indonesian immigration law.

Le Blanc was allowed entry only after team manager Erick Arejola appealed his case to higher authorities.

The American’s ordeal, compared with Ekwe’s, was a walk in the park.

With Indonesia worried over terrorist activities, Ekwe was treated as a suspect and made to undergo interrogation.

His temporary detention affected the whole team which had to wait for hours while authorities questioned Ekwe.

Team members moved about the immigration area like headless chickens and some were luckly to bring along their playstations to while away the waiting time.

At one point, Ekwe was even escorted by an airport official when he went to the comfort room to relieve himself.

"They kept on asking the same question. I told them (immigration officials) that I will play for the Harbour-Philippine team and I don’t intend to stay here longer," Ekwe said.

A similar incident occurred last year when Harbour import Julius Nwosu, also a Nigerian, arrived here with Harbour and also went through the same process before being allowed entry.

"I don’t know what it is, but this is another sad experience on the part of the team," said Arejola, who was left behind to accompany Ekwe.

After two hours of waiting, Arejola allowed the other members of the team to proceed to the hotel to take a much-needed rest after almost a five-hour flight from Manila.

Team owner Mikee Romero decided to send the 6-foot-7 Le Blanc after a consultation with the coaching staff Tuesday evening.

But coach Jorge Gallent is not yet certain whether he will pick the former University of Connecticut player or Fil-Am Sol Mercado.

"We will know tomorrow after our practice," Gallent said.

But if the opposition is strong, the team is likely to go for Le Blanc.

The Nationals open their title-retention drive against Thailand on Friday before meeting the hosts on Saturday.

They will face the David Zamar-mentored Malaysian team on Sunday. Harbour-RP team is hard-pressed to retain its title since Indonesia reportedly has two big imports.

Only Jason Castro, Beau Belga, Jonathan Fernandez and Chad Alonzo are the remnants of the team last year.

The new members of the team are TY Tang, Jeff Chan, Al Vergara, Boyet Bautista, Jerwin Gaco, Gilbert Malabanan and Dylan Ababou.

rikhardur
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
What the hell? Totally disproportionate imo.

kerouac82
04-03-2008, 01:27 AM
What the hell? Totally disproportionate imo.

Southeast Asian countries are notorious for doing just that. Haven't heard of incidents here in Manila but there are a lot of horror stories from last year's SEA Games.

Then again, it's not everyday that Indonesian officials come across a big, African guy who doesn't have an American accent.

I have a feeling that this has something to do with the kicking incident in last year's NCAA. That game was against Perpetual, right? And if I recall correctly, they had this Indonesian guy in the team...

bolabasket
04-03-2008, 01:46 AM
my final 12

(Philippines)

Players:
1. FERNANDEZ Jonathan, 6-1
2. CASTRO Jason, 5-9
3. BELGA Beau Michael, 6-6
4. EKWE Samuel (import), 6-9
5. MERCADO Solomon, 6-0
7. CHAN Jeffrei Emmanuel, 6-3
8. ASORO Edwin, 6-4
9. TANG Tyrone Conrad, 5-8
10. GACO Jerwin, 6-4
11. ABABOU Dylan, 6-3
12. LEBLANC Michael Jamer (import)

reserves

GAMBOA Allan
BAUTISTA Boyet
TAYLOR Chester
MALABANAN Gilbert
VERGARA Al
ALONZO Richard

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Actually, it was not only five but a whole basketball team of foreigners that were first brought in by basketball project director Eduardo Cojuanco. It was easy to get naturalized -- all that was needed was a presidential decree from President Ferdinand E. Marcos.

Among the players were legitimate Fil-Ams Ricardo Brown and William Pearson, Jeffrey Moore and Dennis Still. Others on the team were the likes of Eddie Joe Chavez, Steve Schall, Steve Lingerfelter and Robert Worthy.

Brown and Pearson went to the PBA and only Still and Moore remained. The rest of the team went back to the United States. Later, Arthur Engelland, Johnny Nash and Jerome Hegwood were taken in.

Nash and Hegwood then were dropped in 1983, leaving the trio of Moore, Still and Engelland.

That's correct. Its Nash and Hegwood. Wiilie Pearson played for Baby Dalupan's Great Taste team together with Ricardo Brown.

bolabasket
04-03-2008, 02:35 AM
That's correct. Its Nash and Hegwood. Wiilie Pearson played for Baby Dalupan's Great Taste team together with Ricardo Brown.

Pearson also played college ball for Arellano University

super_defender
04-03-2008, 03:13 AM
so Ricardo Brown's mother is a filipina?

super_defender
04-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Ekwe suspected as terrorist held at Jakarta airport

By Rey C. Lachica

....Team owner Mikee Romero decided to send the 6-foot-7 Le Blanc after a consultation with the coaching staff Tuesday evening.

But coach Jorge Gallent is not yet certain whether he will pick the former University of Connecticut player or Fil-Am Sol Mercado.

"We will know tomorrow after our practice," Gallent said.

But if the opposition is strong, the team is likely to go for Le Blanc....

Why do they have to choose between Sol Mercado and Le Blanc, can't they play together in one team? Sol Mercado isn't considered as an import.

Silent Killer
04-03-2008, 04:13 AM
why harbour didnt get the services of Norwood and Jervy Cruz? it adds versitility defense and rebounding.

C2Hamm
04-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Why do they have to choose between Sol Mercado and Le Blanc, can't they play together in one team? Sol Mercado isn't considered as an import.
maybe his paper's aren't finished yet. hopefully he'll be ready come draft night.

darkknight1200
04-03-2008, 04:30 AM

YEAH, I remember they were introduced as the RP TRAINING TEAM at that time.

rensquared
04-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Wow, TY Tang (Xavier HS) and Dylan Ababou (Sienna College) made it to the national Pool.. Its incredible to see this players blossom and be part of something special... A few years back, during our HS years, I was playing against this guys.. And now, they made it to the national team.. They are special ones who was able to reach every basketball players' dream... I salute you!! Go for the GOld Y'all!!!

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Wow, TY Tang and Dylan Ababou made it to the national Pool.. Its incredible to see this players blossom and be part of something special... A few years back, during our HS years, I was playing against this guys.. And now, they made it to the national team.. They are special ones who was able to reach every basketball players' dream... I salute you!! Go for the GOld Y'all!!!
They basically brought the entire Harbour Centre team. Since it is a club championship tournament for the Southeast Asian region. Sta. Lucia was initially tapped to enter the said tournament but begged off because schedule conflicts.

interamp
04-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Who can tell me the result of this tournament?
And the player lists of Malaysia & Thailand team?
Thanks alot ^_^

ankle breaker
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Who can tell me the result of this tournament?
And the player lists of Malaysia & Thailand team?
Thanks alot ^_^
the tournament has not yet started. maybe tomorrow, somebody can give you an update.

interamp
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Thank you very much
In Thailand can't get the basketball news
No books No Magazines No Newspapers for basketball
So sadness

bolabasket
04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
so Ricardo Brown's mother is a filipina?
yup...

b3lowzro
04-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Thank you very much
In Thailand can't get the basketball news
No books No Magazines No Newspapers for basketball
So sadness

Mabuhay welcome to the Philippines thread our ASEAN brother!!!

well here in the Philippines we dont have football news, most of the sports news here are about the local basketball scene and the NBA and the semis of the marchmadness...

interamp
04-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Mabuhay welcome to the Philippines thread our ASEAN brother!!!

well here in the Philippines we dont have football news, most of the sports news here are about the local basketball scene and the NBA and the semis of the marchmadness...

That's good.
In Thailand have alot of football news. no Basketball news.
I think because we have football betting.No have basketball betting
hahaha

nice to meet you all basketball lover :D

I have many pictures of Thailand Basketball team.
visit : http://interamp.hi5.com

Onizuka01
04-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Any news of the game schedule pls? :)

icthus22
04-04-2008, 04:33 AM
GOOD LUCK TO THE NATIONAL TEAM!!

what I love to about this team is that they play pretty good team basketball... and they play good defense too...

sergio23
04-04-2008, 06:13 AM
please provide link for the results...
thanks...

joel23
04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
PBL is the develomental league in the Philippines which you can compare to the NBDL of the NBA. Most of its players are college players, Fil Ams which are seeking residency period of 32 amateur games, Former colleges players whih cannot find a slot in the PBA and the former PBA players under 34 yrs old
also CBA, IBL, NLBA, ABA and several leagues are now considered developmental league in US

RP-Harbour crushes Thailand 99-63

hawke12
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
RP-Harbour crushes Thailand 99-63

Where did you get this Update?...

interamp
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
what about Malaysia and Indonesia?

RetiredJordanStopper
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
RP-Harbour faces acid test vs Indons
By Nelson Beltran
Saturday, April 5, 2008

JAKARTA – All Sam Ekwe and Michael James LeBlanc have to do is to grab the rebounds and play defense, and there’s no way the Harbour Centre-RP team can be beaten in the 2008 SEABA Champions Cup here.

That was coach Jorge Gallent’s prognosis hours before the start of the three-day event where Harbour Centre is hoping to add to its treasure chest following its conquest of the same tourney last year, the 2007 SEAG in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand and four straight championships at home in the PBL.

On an eight-game roll in the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup, the Batang Pier of sports patron Mikee Romero hope to sustain their rampage here and keep the country’s domination of its neighbors this part of world.

Fancied to wallop an import-less Thai side last night, the challenge for the Batang Pier starts today as they take on the host Satria Muda Britama team reinforced by 6-7 American Alexander Hartman and 6-8 Canadian Jemino Kamal Sobers.

The Philippines and Indonesia clash at 6 p.m. (7 p.m. in Manila) at the Britama Arena here.

SM Britama is practically the same team that finished runner-up to the Philippines in last year’s Champions Cup and SEA Games, under long-time Indon national player Fictor Gideon Roring who had been handled by Filipino coaches Nat Canson and Bong Ramos. Gallent admits they’re not familiar with Hartman and Sobers.

“Good thing is that they’re our second game. By the time we play them, we’ve already scouted them,” said Gallent. “I don’t think anybody here can match up with our locals. If Ekwe and LeBlanc can defend the imports of the other teams, then things will be under control.”

Against Malaysia, Ekwe and LeBlanc will be up against 6-foot-8 Ben Knight and 6-foot-4 Cris Cuete.

Knight has been a mainstay in the Australian pro league, now playing for the Singapore Slingers. Cuete, on the other hand, is a Cameroon native studying information technology in Kuala Lumpur.

“I don’t need my imports to score. All I need from them is to get the rebounds and defend,” said Gallent.

Gallent’s concern is their perimeter defense, saying LeBlanc isn’t in top shape.

RetiredJordanStopper
04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Zamar does his share for country

Saturday, April 5, 2008
JAKARTA – Unknown to many, coach Boyzie Zamar is helping the country in his own little way.

Zamar may be helping RP’s neighbor nations improve their basketball but he’s paying the country back by luring foreign investments to the country.

“Wherever I am, if there’s the opportunity that I can ask my principals to put business in the Philippines, I’ve been doing that. Right now, I have a boss into palm oil business. He’s considering investing in our country. I’ve been telling him our situation, that he can give job opportunities to poor Filipinos,” said Zamar.

Zamar, a former RP team coach, is now working with the Malaysian Amateur Basketball Association, tapped to draft a master plan for Malaysian basketball. He’s here to call the shots for the Petron team in the SEABA Champions Cup.

Before accepting the job in Malaysia, the former UE Warrior handled a club team in the Indonesian Basketball Association, producing a number of players now playing for the Indon national team.

Chances are Zamar would also accept an offer to be an assistant coach of the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League in Australia. – Nelson Beltran

rensquared
04-05-2008, 12:16 AM
That's good.
hahaha

Welcome to the Philippine Thread my friend...

bolabasket
04-05-2008, 03:26 AM
only Sol Mercado (groin injury) and Boyet Bautista were cut from the team

joel23
04-05-2008, 03:49 AM
That's good.
hahaha

To Thai,

If your NT interesting for Filipino coaches?

geo
04-05-2008, 05:55 AM
any update on the game? Where can i watch the games? Any local network covering the game?

Alex07
04-05-2008, 06:07 AM
JAKARTA, Indonesia – Despite the harrowing experience the team encountered on its arrival Wednesday, Harbour Centre-Philippine team coach Jorge Gallent declared their readiness to defend their crown as the SEABA Club Championship gets going today at the Britama Arena here.

“Despite what happened to Sam (Ekwe) the other day, the team is ready to defend its title. We came here with a mission of winning the championship,” said Gallent after the team’s hard practice yesterday.

The Nationals open their title-retention bid against an import-less Thailand squad in a reprisal of the country’s gold medal match in last year’s SEA Games starting at 4 p.m. (5 p.m. in Manila).

Though the Harbour Centre backed-RP team trampled the Thais, 94-53, Gallent and team manager Erick Arejola are not taking their opponents lightly. Thailand is fielding six holdovers from its SEA Games stint.

“We’re going to play them as if they have two imports. We can’t fool around here because the country’s honor is at stake here,” said Gallent, who also announced the inclusion of American Michael Le Blanc in the team.

Gallent, Arejola and team consultant Junel Baculi decided to pick the 6-foot-7 Le Blanc after Fil-Am Sol Mercado suffered a pulled groin injury during the two-hour practice.

While he puts premium on the role of small guys in the team, Gallent dropped SEA Games veteran Boyet Bautista from the roster. Gallent instead picked forward Gilbert Malabanan who he intends to use to guard taller players.

“We’ll basically do the things we’re used to doing in the [PBL], which is to emphasize ball pressure. This means we’re going to maximize the strengths of Jason (Castro) and TY (Tang).”

After the Thais, the Nationals collide with the host country on Saturday in what could be the final
showdown of the short four-team, single-round tournament. They close out their campaign against the David Zamar-mentored Malaysian team on Sunday.

The No. 1 team after the elims will be declared champion of the annual tournament. Reinforced by Nigerian Julius Nwosu and American Vidal Massiah, Harbour Centre-RP won the title by beating the host country last year.

Meantime, Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero and Philippine Basketball League Commissioner Chino Trinidad wished the team success.

Le Blanc, an alumnus of University of Connecticut, also vowed to help the Harbour-RP team retain its title, saying: “I’m ready to do whatever it takes to win.”

The 6-foot-7 Ekwe, the Nigerian national who helped San Beda regain its supremacy in the NCAA with back-to-back titles, is just as excited as Le Blank to play for the Philippines despite his traumatic experience the other day at the airport.

The former NCAA MVP was stranded for almost five hours at the immigration office as he was waiting for the confirmation of his papers from the Nigerian Embassy.

“It was a sad experience but I’m now ready to play for the Philippine team. This is a special tournament for me because I’ll be playing for the country I learned to love most,” said Ekwe.

“Marami na kasing nag TNT ng mga Nigerians rito kaya mahigpit sila,” said Arejola.

Joining the two imports, Castro and Tang are Dylan Ababou, Chad Alonzo, Beau Belga, Jeff Chan, Jonathan Fernandez, Jerwin Gaco and Al Vergara. Along with Castro, Alonzo, Belga, Fernandez, Chan and Vergara are the holdovers from the 2007 SEABA Club champion team.

NOTES: Before becoming a basketball star at Xavier School during his elementary days, TY Tang made waves as a swimmer. He represented the country several times in age-group tournaments…Aside from Tang, also set to join the PBA draft this season are Jason Castro, Beau Belga, Jonathan Fernandez and Jeff Chan.

geo
04-05-2008, 06:16 AM
I hope they had included norwood in their line up. It would have been awesome.

interamp
04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
To Thai,

If your NT interesting for Filipino coaches?

hahaha
Now we have American coach name "FELTON SEALEY"
:)

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 08:12 AM
hahaha
Now we have American coach name "FELTON SEALEY"
:)

Sealey was the coach of the Malaysian national team in the late '90s.

geo
04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
can anybody tell me what local tv is covering the game?

please can anybody tell me where can i see the game on local tv? Please......

merskee
04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Harbour routs Hi-Tech in SEABA Cup
The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Sat, 04/05/2008 12:44 PM | Sports

Reigning champions Harbour Centre of the Philippines thrashed Thailand's Hi-Tech with a 99-63 win on the opening day of the Southeast Asia Basketball Association (SEABA) Champions Cup 2008 in North Jakarta on Friday.

Tang Tyrone scored 21 points, three assists and three rebounds for Harbour.

Head coach Jorge Gallent said his team did not perform its best as it got off to a slow first quarter. Luckily, they picked up their game in the second half.

"They were very tense in the first and second quarters because it was the first international event for most of them," he told The Jakarta Post.

Captain Piroon Piyapong shot nine points in the first quarter, pushing Hi-Tech in front with a 25-22 score. Their dominance was brief with their form quickly slipping, missing plenty of shooting opportunities.

"Because of their lead, I think we just gave up in the last two quarters," Piroon said, adding their strategy was to save energy for the game the next day.

Thailand's national player admitted Harbour Centre had attacked well and felt his team had played hard in each quarter.

"They were too good for our team," the 27-year-old said.

Harbour Centre has four Filipino players and two foreign players from the United States and Nigeria, while Hi-Tech, which won Thailand's King's Cup in 2005 and 2007, is made up of Thai players only.

The second game saw Indonesian champions Satria Muda Britama narrowly beat the National Basketball League team of Malaysia with a score of 88-86.

"We are proud of our team because we gave it our best up to the very last seconds. At least we were close to winning it," said Malaysia's head coach David Zamar.

Malaysia will play Hi-Tech on Saturday and Satria Muda Britama will meet with Harbour Centre

merskee
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
sorry for the triple posting....

Onizuka01
04-05-2008, 09:53 AM

you can edit your previous posts and delete :)

dreamwalker
04-05-2008, 10:01 AM

No worries, you haven't beaten my record yet for multiple posting errors......:D :p

And welcome to interbasket - Philippine thread....!!!

merskee
04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
thanks onizuka, dreamwalker...

Lebron23
04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I want to see TY Tang in the 2008 PBA Draft.

interamp
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Sealey was the coach of the Malaysian national team in the late '90s.
yes
fomer malaysia NT
He work with Thailand NT in 13th Asian Games in Bangkok

interxavierxxx
04-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Yo interamp... I have a few friends who are staying in Bangkok for one week... do you know any bars there that are good? Because they were complaining that bars they found were all filled with Prostitutes wanting to make love with them.

geo
04-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Sam ekwe did not play, actually he can't because he did not have the certification from either the nigerian basketball association or from fiba international. Patrick gregorio still have to come up with the certification. It's always been the rules for imports playing in fiba sanction tournaments, I think patrick gregorio darn forgot about it.

geo
04-06-2008, 06:03 AM
RP-H Centre routs Thais sans Ekwe
By Nelson Beltran
Sunday, April 6, 2008

JAKARTA – Though its problem with Sam Ekwe just won’t end, Harbour Centre-Philippines had an auspicious start in the seventh SEABA Champions Cup, blasting Hi-Tech Thailand, 99-63, at the Britama Arena here Friday.

The Batang Pier of sports patron Mikee Romero sized up the Thais in the early going before unleashing their usual run-and-gun game in carving out the big win sans Ekwe, barred from playing minus the needed clearance from the Nigerian basketball federation or from the FIBA.

Just like imports playing in the PBA or in foreign leagues, Ekwe needs FIBA clearance here as he’s entered as a reinforcement. The 6-foot-8 Nigerian doesn’t have one since he’s just a collegiate player back in the Philippines and not a real import used to play overseas.

Harbour Centre team manager Erick Arejola said he’s been promised by BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Patrick Gregorio that Ekwe would be cleared to play before the Philippines-Indonesia game set last night.

SEABA and FIBA officials here said this particular rule for imports have long been in place anywhere in the world, safeguards for ball clubs from unscrupulous players.

Rookie international campaigner Tyrone Tang and last-minute import recruit Michael James LeBlanc produced huge numbers as the Batang Pier geared up for an expected grudge match with SM Britama-Indonesia team in Day Two of the brief four-nation tourney.

SM-Britama watched Koh Way Tek miss a potential game-winning three-point shot at the buzzer as the Indons escaped with an 88-86 win over the National Basketball League selection of Malaysia in the other game.

Both the Indons and the Malaysians showed up with a good pair of imports, who could put tremendous challenge to the Filipinos.

“If we commit mistake, we’re in trouble against both Indonesia and Malaysia,” said Harbour Centre consultant Junel Baculi.

The scores:

Harbour Centre-RP 99 – Tang 21, LeBlanc 18, Castro 16, Fernandez 10, Belga 10, Vergara 7, Gaco 6, Ababou 4, Chan 3, Alonzo 2, Malabanan 2.

Hi-Tech Thailand 63 – Lertmalaiporn 17, Piroon 14, Kanokamornisjn 10, Lertlaokul 5, Jantharaniyom 4, Silapapipat 4, Vivattanapoongtech 3, Rittiphanyawong 2, Jantuma 2, Sasison 2. Quarterscores: 22-25, 50-38, 74-49, 99-63

The_Big_Cat
04-06-2008, 06:04 AM
yes
fomer malaysia NT
He work with Thailand NT in 13th Asian Games in Bangkok

Yes. That's correct. They went up against our "Centennial Team", 1998 Asian Games coached by Tim Cone. We finished third.

interamp
04-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Yo interamp... I have a few friends who are staying in Bangkok for one week... do you know any bars there that are good? Because they were complaining that bars they found were all filled with Prostitutes wanting to make love with them.
I'm sorry. I stay in Phuket.Phuket have many good bar too.
And many beautiful beaches.

JET007
04-06-2008, 02:17 PM
TY Tang is impressive...future RPNT point guard...

pinoyballer
04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
By Julius Manicad
04/07/2008

JAKARTA — The outcome was tragic, tear-jerking and tough. But how and why it happened remains a controversy.

That was the case of Harbour Centre-RP team whose trail of harrowing experience was capped by a heart-rending 85-93 loss to Satria Mudra-Indonesia, in a forgettable stint in the Southeast Asian basketball Association (Seaba) Club Championships at Britama Arena here Sunday.

The Philippine is supposed to be the overwhelming favorite in the annual cage meet, but for reasons of technicality and apparent lack of effort on the part of the official behind the team, the RP five ended its stint in Seaba on a disappointing note.

That the Philippines loses to Indonesia in any tournament, Seaba included, is something else for the Indonesians. It actually marked the fourth time that the Philippines lost to Indonesia, counting the country’s setbacks in Pre-Olympic qualifying round in Yokohoma, Japan in 1964, 1995 Seaba, 2007 Seaba and last year also in Seaba.

Sam Ekwe was again relegated to a curious onlooker after BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Patrick Gregorio failed to convince Seaba president Dato Yeoh Choo Hock that the defense-minded Nigerian has been cleared to see action.

Based in the Seaba guideline sent to Gregorio last March 21, foreign players have to secure a clearance certificate either from their respective national basketball associations or from the International Basketball Federation (Fiba) before joining any international tournament. Though he tried to secure it as soon as he received the guideline, Gregorio said the Nigerian basketball authorities didn’t respond.

Gregorio claimed that he sent a letter to Seaba regarding the case of Ekwe last March 26, saying he is a student and not a full-time import. Seaba, however, didn’t decide, prompting him to speculate that the 6-foot-8 San Beda College stalwart would be cleared to play due to what he calls as “the seven-day rule.”

“If they didn’t give any decision in seven-days, that means everything is okay,” Gregorio said upon arriving in this bustling city armed with several pieces of documents. “I tried, but I really didn’t get it (clearance certificate). So I wrote them (Seaba) a letter instead but they also didn’t respond. I honestly thought (that) he would be cleared.”

Gregorio also claimed that he tried to personally explain to Dato Yeoh in a desperate attempt of putting Ekwe back to the hardcourt. But Dato Yeoh, who is also the secretary general of Fiba-Asia, was nowhere to be found, which Gregorio claimed as a deliberate attempt to put the Philippines in a disadvantage.

The decision to bar Ekwe from seeing action in their first encounter against Thailand was formally announced during the managers’ meeting last Friday. With Gregorio still in the Philippines, team manager Erick Arejola was left to answer all questions regarding Ekwe’s lack of clearance certificate, something which should have been done by Gregorio weeks before the formal start of this four-nation tourney.

But Gregorio feigned innocence, claiming that he again sent a letter dated April 3 as a follow-up to his March 26 letter to reiterate his explanation on Ekwe’s case. And again, Seaba didn’t respond.

“There are reasons that you can’t explain. This is totally unexpected,” Gregorio said, still sounding confident despite his obvious blunder.

On the court against the hot-shooting Indonesians, Ekwe’s absence was terribly felt. In fact, their flamboyant import Alexander Hartman put on a show, erupting with 20 of his 27 points in the first half while the burly import Jemino Kamal Sobers terrorized the paint with 26 points, most of which coming from dunks and easy putbacks.

rhk111
04-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Well, if you look at the box scores, SM-Britama's 2 imports scored 53 out of their team's 93 pt. output, so its obvious who were the big factor in that game. In contrast, Harbour Center's lone import scored only 14 points, & yet they lost only by 8 pts.

The only way really for any SEA team beat any of our PBL level & up teams, is to put as in an extreme disadvantage, as in this case.

As for Pato Gregorio, I think he's starting to make too many mistakes. He can't keep blaming the other side for the team's problems. He should've anticipated it in advance, but so far he has not been living up to the challenge. He should've anticipated that the other SEA countries were going to keep squeezing the Philippines in any international tournament.

I also suspect that there's some politicking involved, courtesy of those BAP vultures. Does Graham Lim & Yeoh Choo Hock know each other?

Still, in the end, it takes a lot of street smarts to handle the country's international program effectively, & so far he hasn't shown any. This latest gaffe puts into question Gregorio's competence in terms of running the SBP-BAP.

JET007
04-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Disappointing loss...

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Big black eye for the SBP. Now the "disgruntled Villafuerte" will now be even more vocal.

I think this is a good thing that it happened in this tourney. Adjustments could be made next time. Over confidence on the part of Harbour and SBP officials.

"Sayang!". But we'll get them next time.

Project_Olympics
04-07-2008, 02:04 AM
sheeesh, what the heck, why did we even played in this tournament! :mad:
as always, we were cheated. thats the only thing that can beat us.
i dare that indo national team to fight any club in the pba. lets see how they are good

RNHalawi
04-07-2008, 02:04 AM
READ THE STORY HERE:
http://teampilipinas.info/2008/04/harbour-centre-rp-dethroned-in-seaba.html

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm sorry. I stay in Phuket.Phuket have many good bar too.
And many beautiful beaches.

Don't forget the excellent hotels there and the gorgeous girls.
It is a fabulous place.

super_defender
04-07-2008, 04:03 AM
This is disappointing not only for us, but also for Sam Ekwe. The guy practically sacrificed a lot and was willing to play for the national cause only to be prevented by certain officials. The Seaba officials indeed found a hole in the Harbour team and decided to exploit that since it would be their biggest chance to win against us. I hope Patrick Gregorio learns from this. I hope he commits less mistakes.

According to an article found in gameface.ph

"...Gregorio claimed he wrote a letter of request to Nigerian basketball association twice – the first time on March 26 and the other on April 3 – but he got no reply. Gregorio even brought with him his letters which he hoped to present to Yeoh but the Malaysian official was nowhere to be found in the game although he was said to be in the Indonesian capital. “I tried to contact the Nigerian basketball association through fax and email but it did not reply,” said Gregorio..."

I wonder why Yeoh was nowhere to be found during an event where he was supposed to be present...The SEABA Secretary-General Dato’ Yeoh Choo Hock not present in a SEABA tournament, now that just means something...

Pato I hope you learn to anticipate the worst...We are aware of your passion and devotion for Philippine Basketball but you've got to learn to be smart..street smart in order to anticipate the moves of those cunning people who aim to bring Philippine basketball down.

darkknight1200
04-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Here's an article from the Manila Standard:

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports5_april7_2008

RP five yields Seaba crown

JAKARTA—Harbour Centre-RP Team absorbed a stinging 85-93 loss to Satria Mudra-Indonesia at the Britama Arena in this Indonesian capital to virtually bow out of the title race in the Southeast Asia Basketball Association Club Championship, no thanks to a bumbling sports official.

The tragic result came after Sam Ekwe, the team’s main man in both defense and rebounding, was prevented from playing in the tournament, after Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Patrick Gregorio failed to convince Seaba president Dato Yeoh Choo Hock that the Nigerian has been cleared to see action despite lacking a clearance certificate.

Based on the Seaba guideline sent to Gregorio last March 21, foreign players have to secure a clearance certificate either from their respective national basketball associations or from the International Basketball Federation before joining any international tournament.

Gregorio claimed that he tried to secure the certificate as soon as he received the guideline, but the Nigerian basketball authorities allegedly didn’t respond to the letter.

Gregorio added that he sent a letter to Seaba regarding the case of Ekwe last March 26, saying that he is a student and not a full-time import.

But Seaba didn’t decide, prompting him to think that the 6’8” San Beda College center would be cleared to play based on what he calls as “the seven-day rule.”

“If they didn’t give any decision in seven days, that means everything is okay,” Gregorio said upon arriving in this bustling city armed with several pieces of documents. “I tried, but I really didn’t get it [clearance certificate]. So I wrote them [Seaba] a letter instead but they also didn’t respond. I honestly thought [that] he would be cleared.”

Gregorio added that he tried to personally explain the situation to Dato Yeoh in a desperate attempt of putting Ekwe back to the hardcourt. But Yeoh, who is also the secretary-general of Fiba Asia, was nowhere to be found, which Gregorio claimed was a deliberate attempt to put the Philippines at a disadvantage.

SBP did its homework.

rhk111
04-07-2008, 06:27 AM
SBP did its homework.

Not necessarily. Yeoh DID NOT give Pato an answer to his queries about Sam, & Pato just ASSUMED that everything is okay based on Yeoh's silence. That's his mistake. He should've pushed Yeoh for an answer, or at least made preparations to prove that Sam did not play in any pro league there in Nigeria.

Granting that Yeoh set up a trap for Pato, Pato should've anticipated it. At any rate, he should learn from this mistake.

This is another mistake by Gregorio. The other recent one was not consulting w/ Chino Trinidad on the PBL's participation in one of the coming FIBA tournaments.

darkknight1200
04-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Not necessarily. Yeoh DID NOT give Pato an answer to his queries about Sam, & Pato just ASSUMED that everything is okay based on Yeoh's silence. That's his mistake. He should've pushed Yeoh for an answer, or at least made preparations to prove that Sam did not play in any pro league there in Nigeria.

Granting that Yeoh set up a trap for Pato, Pato should've anticipated it. At any rate, he should learn from this mistake.

This is another mistake by Gregorio. The other recent one was not consulting w/ Chino Trinidad on the PBL's participation in one of the coming FIBA tournaments.

I understand your points. Pato should learn from this. Would MVP tolerate these lapses of Pato? Or is someone already being groomed to replace Pato? Noli Eala would have been PERFECT for this job. Just my 5 cents.

rhk111
04-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I understand your points. Pato should learn from this. Would MVP tolerate these lapses of Pato? Or is someone already being groomed to replace Pato? Noli Eala would have been PERFECT for this job. Just my 5 cents.

If it were up to me, I'd go out & give Pato another chance. People make mistakes, & they sometimes do learn from it & grow into their jobs.

On the other hand, I would start looking, or perhaps start firming up plans for replacing the guy, in case he doesn't pan out, & end up w/ more embarassments.

I'll tell you this, though: The way that Yeoh guy at FIBA played politics, it seems he really is a hardballed jackas_. The SBP_BAP needs somebody competent, pro-active, & has the streetsmarts to match up w/ somebody like him.

FEIFEI
04-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Here's an article from the Manila Standard:

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports5_april7_2008

SBP did its homework.
Is your news tell us that Harbour Centre-RP Team loss to Satria Mudra-Indonesia with out any importers?
I heard that the Harbour Centre-RP Team has another importers in his line up.
And do you know Satria Mudra-Indonesia has any importers,or just use the local players?

pinoyballer
04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
The SBP_BAP needs somebody competent, pro-active, & has the streetsmarts to match up w/ somebody like him.
Yes, the problem with Philippine sports is the incompetency of its officials and the political bickering and corruption.

Hoping that the Philippines retain its supremacy in SE Asian basketball? I doubt it. If it's hardly able to do this, how can it ever compete with China, Iran, Lebanon, South Korea, etc.?

All of Asian is making progress, while the Philippines is rapidly regressing.:mad:

rhk111
04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Hoping that the Philippines retain its supremacy in SE Asian basketball? I doubt it. If it's hardly able to do this, how can it ever compete with China, Iran, Lebanon, South Korea, etc.?

I don't think we have any problems in basketball, as far as SEA is concerned. We may have lost to Indonesia's SM-Britama in this tournament, but against a team where the imports scored 53 of team's 93 point output, while our lone import scored only 14 points.

Despite SM-Britama's advantage, we only lost by 8 points. Remember, this isn't even a PBL All-Star team, its the Harbour Center team w/ an import.

C2Hamm
04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Is your news tell us that Harbour Centre-RP Team loss to Satria Mudra-Indonesia with out any importers?
I heard that the Harbour Centre-RP Team has another importers in his line up.
And do you know Satria Mudra-Indonesia has any importers,or just use the local players?
Indonesia used 2 imports. RP had 1.

FEIFEI
04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
I think RP should not loss to Indonesia although RP only have 1 imports when Indonesia used 2 imports.
Do you agree?

10percentjuice
04-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Does anybody have any pictures of the matches?

ankle breaker
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
and that import is michael leblanc, right?

dreamwalker
04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I think RP should not loss to Indonesia although RP only have 1 imports when Indonesia used 2 imports.
Do you agree?

I think Harbour Centre could have fared better without any imports, they are a much better cohesive unit playing all Filipino, Michael LeBlanc was never a factor (he was out-of-shape). Previous news mentioned that their plays were mainly focused on Sam Ekwe and without him simply did them in. Indonesia simply came better prepared as a team with imports and got lucky.:D

interamp
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Satria to play FIBA championship
, , | Mon, 04/07/2008 11:17 AM | Sports

Satria Muda Britama of Indonesia earned a ticket to the FIBA Asian Champions Cup, on defeating Hi-Tech of Thailand 89-69 in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) championship Sunday at Kelapa Gading Sportsmall, North Jakarta.

Satria, winner of the Indonesian Basketball League (IBL) last year, topped the tournament standings after defeating defending champions Harbor Centre of the Philippines and Malaysia in earlier matches.

"This achievement is beyond our expectations as we initially aimed at a quarterfinal finish in the tournament," Satria Muda coach Fictor Gideon Roring said.

Satria, along with Harbor Centre, will represent the Southeast Asian region at the FIBA Asian Champions slated for May 8-16 in Kuwait.

Fictor, however, warned that the Asian event would clash with the scheduled IBL semifinals and finals.

Former Indonesian national team member Fictor said his team would likely miss the Asian event as it needed to defend its title at home.

FIBA Asia secretary-general Dato Yeoh Choo Hock said he would discuss the issue with SEABA president Erick Thohir of Indonesia to seek a solution to the problem.

In the Sunday game, Satria's key player, Amin Prihantono, posted seven three-pointers out of 17 attempts and two assists.

Hi-Tech guard Padhipat Kanokamornisjn excused his team loss due to poor preparation.

He said his team only had two weeks practice before playing in the tournament.

Later that day, defending champions Harbor Centre beat Malaysia 89-79 to finish second.

Malaysia took a 40-36 lead in the first two quarters of the game, thanks to its aggressive forward Chris Kuete of Cameroon who scored 33 points, two assists and 18 rebounds.

Malaysia, however, could not maintain its momentum as Harbor Centre players led by William Jayson bounced back to grab the last two quarters and win the game. (JP/ind)

interxavierxxx
04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Let's just hope we send a good team to the Jones Cup. We should try sending the Youth team or our national team if ever.

darkknight1200
04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Let's just hope we send a good team to the Jones Cup. We should try sending the Youth team or our national team if ever.

I read somewhere that a PBL selection with a number of PBA players under the banner of Harbour Center will play in the Jones Cup.

darkknight1200
04-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Congrats to Harbour Center for placing 2nd at the SEABA Champions Cup!!!

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=2008040790

RP-Harbour trips Malaysia, finishes 2nd
By Nelson Beltran
Tuesday, April 8, 2008

JAKARTA – Harbour Centre-Philippines yielded the seventh SEABA Champions Cup to host Indonesia but salvaged some measure of pride with a runner-up finish following an 89-79 whipping of Malaysia at the Britama Arena here Sunday.

The Batang Pier overcame the splendid games of Malaysian imports Chris Kuete and Benjamin Knight as they recovered from a shaky first-half stint to seize control in the third quarter en route to the victory.

Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero, the coaching staff and the players were to return home yesterday, convinced they lost the championship only by technicality.

“This is the only way they can beat us. We should know better next time. We should be aware that these things happen,” said Romero, disappointed over Sam Ekwe’s failure to play in the three-day, four-nation competition.

The Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) leadership didn’t bother to discuss the Philippines’ appeal on Ekwe’s case since secretary-general Dato Yeoh Choo Hock only showed up when the Philippines-Malaysia game was already in progress.

Technical chief Lee Kwak Wan, a Malaysian like Dato Yeoh, maintained that the Nigerian player won’t be allowed to play minus a clearance from the Nigerian basketball federation.

But in what had become a fierce battle for runner-up honors, the Filipinos still proved to be better over the Malaysians as they played with an all-local crew most of the way.

Jason Castro, easily the best local player in the tourney, displayed another superb game with 21 points, four rebounds and one assist. Jonathan Fernandez had a breakout game, firing two triples and totaling 19 points, while Tyrone Tang, Beau Belga and Michael LeBlanc each added at least 10.

LeBlanc, a former mainstay of UConn and Vanderbilt, struggled from Day One.

“No question, Filipino players are still the best in the region,” said former RP team coach Boyzie Zamar, who called the shots for the National Basketball League selection of Malaysia in the tournament.

“The boys have already adjusted playing minus Ekwe. Against Indonesia, they were shocked with something they didn’t expect to happen. They were well prepared to battle the Indons with Ekwe to play a vital role,” said Romero.

Kuete came through with 33 points and 18 rebounds while Knight added 19 points and eight rebounds for Malaysia. But Batang Pier countered with a more balanced offensive game.

Harbour Centre-RP outscored Malaysia in the second half, leading by as many as 14 in one stretch before cruising to victory for second place behind the Satria Muda-Britama Indonesia team of SEABA president Eric Toehir.

The Indons dethroned the Filipinos, 93-85, Saturday. The host team, reinforced by explosive imports Alex Hartman and Jemino Kamal Sobers, completed a sweep of the tournament with an 89-69 rout of Hi-Tech Thailand, also Sunday.

This early, the Harbour Centre owner has vowed to get back at the Indons in the SEABA Champions Cup, the SEABA men’s championship and the SEA Games next year.

pachador
04-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Its ok sometimes if the philippines send all-filipino even to tournaments that have imports so the locals get more experience. paminsan minsan ok yan . anyway, its just a club tournament where the team with the better import has better chances.

as for gregorio, I think its time to replace him. he does not seem to be on top of things.

darkknight1200
04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
My message to PBL: Please send Harbour Centre to the FIBA Asia Champion's Cup to continue these guys' international exposure. Include Sam Ekwe (with necessary permit, pls) and another reliable import to increase our chances of surpassing last year's 4th place finish.

Please.;)

rensquared
04-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Do you agree?
I agree.. Hmm, You know whatm RP should not lose to Indonesia even if RP had no imports at all, while the latter uses 2. But, things aren't what they are suppse to be.. They are improving, and we should be improving as well

Onizuka01
04-08-2008, 05:48 AM
My message to PBL: Please send Harbour Centre to the FIBA Asia Champion's Cup to continue these guys' international exposure. Include Sam Ekwe (with necessary permit, pls) and another reliable import to increase our chances of surpassing last year's 4th place finish.

Please.;)

I think it will still be the Harbour-Centre who would go to FIBA Asia Champions Cup.. my only sentiment they should get the best players in the PBL, another taller import and Sam Ekwe. I predict they would settle 4th place or below.:D

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 05:51 AM

Please.;)

Although Harbour was given an invitation by the SBP to participate in that tourney, Harbour is reluctant to go. I am sure San Beda will not let Ekwe participate because of the upcoming NCAA season. San Beda is preparing for the NCAA and would be a disaster if Ekwe gets injured in that tourney.

The same goes for Taylor and Ababou of Harbour. Both will be playing for UST in the UAAP. They may get injured.

rhk111
04-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Do you agree?

No, Joel23, we do not agree.

FEIFEI
04-08-2008, 06:13 AM
No, Joel23, we do not agree.
Oh?
What's you opinion?:D
and I'm not Joel23.

bolabasket
04-08-2008, 06:24 AM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/04082008/images/sports-pic03.jpg

rhk111
04-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Oh?
What's you opinion?:D
and I'm not Joel23.

No, you're not Joel23, he's your alternick.

:D :D :D

You think China Team A can beat an All-Star PBA team w/ 2 imports in it? We'll take in Adam Parada & Darius Rice.

FEIFEI
04-08-2008, 07:00 AM
No, you're not Joel23, he's your alternick.

:D :D :D

You think China Team A can beat an All-Star PBA team w/ 2 imports in it? We'll take in Adam Parada & Darius Rice.
Joel23 is not my alternick too.
I think your question have nothing to do with this thread.
and China Team A will not play with All-Star PBA team w/ 2 imports Adam Parada & Darius Rice.

rhk111
04-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Joel23 is not my alternick too.

I think it is.

I think your question have nothing to do with this thread.
and China Team A will not play with All-Star PBA team w/ 2 imports Adam Parada & Darius Rice.

I think it has. Do you think China is a weaker team, if we beat China Team A w/ 2 imports?

How come your English become so good now, when before it wasn't.

FEIFEI
04-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I think it is.
I'm not.

I think it has. Do you think China is a weaker team, if we beat China Team A w/ 2 imports?

How come your English become so good now, when before it wasn't.

First Harbour Center is a club same as Satria Mudra.And China Team A is a NT.Thay are different.

Second if you want your All-Star PBA team w/ 2 imports Adam Parada & Darius Rice may play with China Team A ,you should becomeing your All-Star PBA team to RP NT,and naturalize Adam Parada & Darius Rice.

The third I don't think RP NT is a weaker team because Harbour Center loss to Satria Mudra-Indonesia .I just think Harbour Center is still stronger than Satria Mudra-Indonesia even without one import EKWE.Thay should not loss.

I think use the words of one of your RP poster :" They are improving, and we should be improving as well"

About my English I think use it more it will be better.

Burndvinyard
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm not.

Second if you want your All-Star PBA team w/ 2 imports Adam Parada & Darius Rice may play with China Team A ,you should becomeing your All-Star PBA team to RP NT,and naturalize Adam Parada & Darius Rice.

wow, interesting to know that have you seen Adam Parada and Darius Rice play that you recommend them to be naturalized by RP.:)

rhk111
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey, Burndvinyard, what happened to that 6'9" Fil-Chinese player FEU was supposed to be recruiting?

Burndvinyard
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey, Burndvinyard, what happened to that 6'9" Fil-Chinese player FEU was supposed to be recruiting?

rhk111, I think the boy's family has yet to decide whether to settle back here in Manila or Zambo city as the father had to veer away from a political scandal that has recently rocked both China and the Philippines. I'm not too sure as to the degree of his involvement in this. And this is apart from his own legal battles that he's yet to settle. It's been two months since i last heard from them. I will email them again for a possible answer. It will be really "sayang" if nothing materialize on this.

rhk111
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
rhk111, I think the boy's family has yet to decide whether to settle back here in Manila or Zambo city as the father had to veer away from a political scandal that has recently rocked both China and the Philippines. I'm not too sure as to the degree of his involvement in this. And this is apart from his own legal battles that he's yet to settle. It's been two months since i last heard from them. I will email them again for a possible answer. It will be really "sayang" if nothing materialize on this.

Really? Wow.

Unless his father is Jun Lozada himself, I find it hard to see how he can be affected so severely by the NBN deal. Besides, he's supposed to be w/ Customs, right?

Anyway, good luck to him, I hope everything turns out okay.

I hope we get to see this player, though, since some people might go out that & start thinking that he is just a figment of your imagination since he has a nasty habit of not being seen anywhere.

Burndvinyard
04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Really? Wow.

Unless his father is Jun Lozada himself, I find it hard to see how he can be affected so severely by the NBN deal. Besides, he's supposed to be w/ Customs, right?

Anyway, good luck to him, I hope everything turns out okay.

I hope we get to see this player, though, since some people might go out that & start thinking that he is just a figment of your imagination since he has a nasty habit of not being seen anywhere.

Haha. No, he's not Jun Lozada. And no, he's not connected with Customs. He worked in some other government agency before. I'd rather keep my silence for the meantime as this will definitely not be good for them.:confused:

I understand what you mean. I really hope everything goes well with them. I'll try to ask our local kids who must have taken some video/photo clips of this boy last year.

FEIFEI
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Haha. No, he's not Jun Lozada. And no, he's not connected with Customs. He worked in some other government agency before. I'd rather keep my silence for the meantime as this will definitely not be good for them.:confused:

I understand what you mean. I really hope everything goes well with them. I'll try to ask our local kids who must have taken some video/photo clips of this boy last year.
Oh?
It's very interesting.
Is the boy's father a chinese?
How old is he?
Does he have any chance to play in RP Youth NT?
I think his 6'9" height is helpful to RP Youth NT.

ankle breaker
04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
FEIFEI will pirate that kid now that he knew it already. bwahahahaha

b3lowzro
04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh?
It's very interesting.
Is the boy's father a chinese?
How old is he?
Does he have any chance to play in RP Youth NT?
I think his 6'9" height is helpful to RP Youth NT.

I knew it! he's a...

SCOUT

rensquared
04-09-2008, 12:39 AM
by Fei Fei

Then suddenly his english becomes normal form abnormal.. what a coincidence..

ankle breaker
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
a chinese scout?

joel23
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM

In Thailand have many bars esp. in Phuket, but they've secret prostitute scandal there. And also mostly have Secret Pedophilia scandal in thailand, mostly some Thai children ages 6-16 years old.

dreamwalker
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
In Thailand have many bars esp. in Phuket, but they've secret prostitute scandal there. And also mostly have Secret Pedophilia scandal in thailand, mostly some Thai children ages 6-16 years old.

How did you know if it's done in secrecy ? You must be a secret agent .....:D :p

FEIFEI
04-09-2008, 03:07 PM
FEIFEI will pirate that kid now that he knew it already. bwahahahaha

a chinese scout?
Some RP poster had ask me the info about our yong players like Mr rhk111 .
May I ask them:"Hey!Are you a Philippine scout?,will you pirate our kid ?"
Should I tell them what I konw?

joel23
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, if you look at the box scores, SM-Britama's 2 imports scored 53 out of their team's 93 pt. output, so its obvious who were the big factor in that game. In contrast, Harbour Center's lone import scored only 14 points, & yet they lost only by 8 pts.

The only way really for any SEA team beat any of our PBL level & up teams, is to put as in an extreme disadvantage, as in this case.

As for Pato Gregorio, I think he's starting to make too many mistakes. He can't keep blaming the other side for the team's problems. He should've anticipated it in advance, but so far he has not been living up to the challenge. He should've anticipated that the other SEA countries were going to keep squeezing the Philippines in any international tournament.

I also suspect that there's some politicking involved, courtesy of those BAP vultures. Does Graham Lim & Yeoh Choo Hock know each other?

Still, in the end, it takes a lot of street smarts to handle the country's international program effectively, & so far he hasn't shown any. This latest gaffe puts into question Gregorio's competence in terms of running the SBP-BAP.

Yeah... The key was tried to pressure for stopping only Jemino Sobers and Alex Hartman of SM-Britama, Harbour Centre would won. Hey the bad is all players from Harbour Centre who are defend with him? That's the question. The only 2 guys would killed all 11-man team. It's very ridicolous...

joel23
04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think we have any problems in basketball, as far as SEA is concerned. We may have lost to Indonesia's SM-Britama in this tournament, but against a team where the imports scored 53 of team's 93 point output, while our lone import scored only 14 points.

Despite SM-Britama's advantage, we only lost by 8 points. Remember, this isn't even a PBL All-Star team, its the Harbour Center team w/ an import.

Do you know that All-Filipino laden and solid lowly commercial league M. Lhuiller of Cebu who led only Jerry Jaca and Bong Marata crushes Indonesian Champion ASPAC with 2 imports were former Miami Heat star Khalid Reeves and Fil-am rumoured Joe Hooks 105-80 in SEABA Champions Cup in Cebu. Reeves led scored 28 points for losers. When the year of 2 All-filipino finalist M. Lhuiller bowed to Spring Cooking Oil who led import Bobby Parks 73-91.

You see?

joel23
04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not.

First Harbour Center is a club same as Satria Mudra.And China Team A is a NT.Thay are different.

The third I don't think RP NT is a weaker team because Harbour Center loss to Satria Mudra-Indonesia .I just think Harbour Center is still stronger than Satria Mudra-Indonesia even without one import EKWE.Thay should not loss.

I think use the words of one of your RP poster :" They are improving, and we should be improving as well"

:eek:
The Harbour Centre is development team and division 2 team in the Philippines(Is a same level of the collegiate team in the Philippines) compared to Satria-Mudra is all-Indonesian champion and division 1 team in Indonesia. Harbour Centre only one import and who scored 14 points compared to Satra-Mudra have two imports who scored 28, 26points = 54 points. This 2 guys were dominated. If both teams erased to combine 3 imports what do you think?

Both teams which battle like China A beat NBDL selection without Darius Rice by 5 points.

dreamwalker
04-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Then suddenly his english becomes normal form abnormal.. what a coincidence..

If you read between her lines, Feifei, makes more sense regardless of her level of english proficiency. The number 23 guy doesn't make any sense at all .....NEVER.

Please do read the last two posts he had made and tell me I was wrong...

rhk111
04-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Some RP poster had ask me the info about our yong players like Mr rhk111 .
May I ask them:"Hey!Are you a Philippine scout?,will you pirate our kid ?"
Should I tell them what I konw?

No, I am not a Scout, & I will not pirate your kid.

rensquared
04-10-2008, 12:45 AM
If you read between her lines, Feifei, makes more sense regardless of her level of english proficiency. The number 23 guy doesn't make any sense at all .....NEVER.

Please do read the last two posts he had made and tell me I was wrong...
You mean, his a she??? BLIMEY!!!

rhk111
04-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Do you know that All-Filipino laden and solid lowly commercial league M. Lhuiller of Cebu who led only Jerry Jaca and Bong Marata crushes Indonesian Champion ASPAC with 2 imports were former Miami Heat star Khalid Reeves and Fil-am rumoured Joe Hooks 105-80 in SEABA Champions Cup in Cebu. Reeves led scored 28 points for losers. When the year of 2 All-filipino finalist M. Lhuiller bowed to Spring Cooking Oil who led import Bobby Parks 73-91.

You see?

You can't win them all. You win MOST, you lose some, fine.

FEIFEI
04-10-2008, 01:48 AM
:eek:
The Harbour Centre is development team and division 2 team in the Philippines(Is a same level of the collegiate team in the Philippines) compared to Satria-Mudra is all-Indonesian champion and division 1 team in Indonesia. Harbour Centre only one import and who scored 14 points compared to Satra-Mudra have two imports who scored 28, 26points = 54 points. This 2 guys were dominated. If both teams erased to combine 3 imports what do you think?

Both teams which battle like China A beat NBDL selection without Darius Rice by 5 points.
Oh ,I konw now.
Thanks for your Info.

FEIFEI
04-10-2008, 01:53 AM
No, I am not a Scout, & I will not pirate your kid.
So am I.
Now joel23 camo to this thread,you can ask him if we are one psoter.:D

The_Big_Cat
04-10-2008, 02:21 AM
I knew it! he's a...

SCOUT

She/He is definitely. This is what I've said three weeks ago.

joel23
04-10-2008, 02:27 AM
So am I.
Now joel23 camo to this thread,you can ask him if we are one psoter.:D

Many many Filipino poser thinks I have many multiple accounts, and also they said I'm Lebron23, hector14 etc. also... Very insecure! :D

rensquared
04-10-2008, 05:20 AM
She/He is definitely. This is what I've said three weeks ago.

A He, or a She?? Maybe a SheMan, or a HeGirl. Weird..

rensquared
04-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Many many Filipino poser thinks I have many multiple accounts, and also they said I'm Lebron23, hector14 etc. also... Very insecure! :D
Because you do...

Onizuka01
04-10-2008, 06:03 AM

I forgot the other username from one of your accounts.. definitely the mod said it in some of the previous threads, that was last year. :D :p

b3lowzro
04-10-2008, 06:07 AM

whos insecure the ones with the multiple accounts to make his ideas credible

rikhardur
04-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I know the Cup is now over, but please do try to stay on topic. Otherwise the thread will have to be locked.

ankle breaker
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
i think it's a good idea MOD. lock the thread before it goes elsewhere.:D

bolabasket
04-11-2008, 12:18 AM
i think it's a good idea MOD. lock the thread before it goes elsewhere.:D
I think it's time to close this thread...besides, the Tournament is over.