PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Garbajosa to Toronto Raptors?

Neozyrus
06-27-2006, 06:51 AM
As Garbajosa is going to toronto in nba, unicaja is looking for a spanish power foward, and it looks like iker iturbe of estudiantes has many numbers to be the chosen.

Lucky
06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Garbajosa anounced this morning he will go to the NBA. It's official. The player talked in a press conference with the president of Unicaja, Rafael Fernandez and said he has ofers from 3 o 4 teams included Toronto Raptors. He's 28 and he was the MVP of the ACB League Final.

DZK
06-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Garbajosa confirmed that he will sign with Toronto on 1st July...he is traveling to Canada to finalize all the details and to look for real estate to live in etc...Garbajosa also stated that he personally will pay the buy-out of his contract with Malaga so he would get the chance to play in the NBA.

Toronto is really becoming european NBA team...they will be fun to watch this year :D ...with Rasho and Garbajosa they will also get experience they need.

On the other hand it looks to crowded for Bargnani at the moment...maybe if he would play SF...which is not impossible ;)

Fripp_Moe
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Raptors 06/07:

C: Nesterovic
PF: Garbajosa
SF: Bargnani
SG: Ukic
PG: Calderon

+ Italian management + Messina or Blatt as head coach in future.

Funny stuff.

Neozyrus
06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
reaaaally a nice starting five, if you add some good americans like chris bosch, mike james, villanueva..... could sound interesting

Kings
06-29-2006, 12:44 AM
http://www.fiba.com/images/web/News/players_head_shots/esp/_192/esp_Jorge_Garbajosa_o.jpg
ESP - Garbajosa - I am going to the NBA

MALAGA (ACB) - Spain international Jorge Garbajosa has confirmed he is heading to the NBA next season.

The Unicaja Malaga forward is set to join the Toronto Raptors where he will play alongside Spain team-mate Jose Manuel Calderon.

"I haven't signed the contract yet because it cannot be done until July 1st," Garbajosa said in a press conference on Tuesday.

"This is a new challenge for me, I am going to compete in the best league in the world and I cannot turn down this opportunity.

"This train only comes once and I have to take it.

"I hope the Unicaja fans understand my position and that they accept my decision."

Garbajosa is under contract with the Liga ACB side for a further two seasons but announced that he will pay his buy-out clause estimated at 1.8 million euros.

The 28-year-old is now planning to fly to Canada to negotiate his contract.

"In the next few days, I will travel to Toronto to meet the club, get to know the city, speak to them and try to begin my adventure there."

Garbajosa's arrival is another sign of the influence of Maurizio Gherardini, the new assistant general manager of Toronto who spent the previous 14 years with Benetton Treviso in Italy.

The 6ft 8in Garbajosa spent four years with Benetton, collecting the MVP award in the Coppa Italia, before moving to Unicaja in the summer of the 2004.

Toronto are expected to sign Benetton's Italian forward Andrea Bargnani with the first pick in Wednesday's draft.

Unicaja had hoped that Garbajosa would reconsider his decision having played a pivotal role for the club to clinch the Spanish league title this season.

The Spanish international who earlier this week was selected in Pepu Hernandez's FIBA World Championship squad, was voted most valuable player in the ACB final play-offs.

"I thank the club for their effort they have made to try to keep me," he said.

"I don't rule out in the future returning to this club."

Garbajosa will add to the growing Spanish influence in the NBA. In addition to the Raptors' Calderon, Pau Gasol has established himself as the Memphis Grizzlies' most recognisable face, while last year the Orlando Magic drafted Fran Vazquez in the first round.

Barcelona's Juan Carlos Navarro is also eager to head to North America, but has been told he must pay his own release clause if he wants to leave.

stuart
07-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Garbajosa signed his NBA contract today...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-raptors-garbajosa&prov=ap&type=lgns

Raptors sign Spanish Finals MVP
TORONTO (AP) -- The Toronto Raptors signed free agent Jorge Garbajosa to a three-year contract worth just under $12 million on Monday.

Garbajosa averaged 14.8 points, 6.9 rebounds and 35 minutes for Unicaja in the Euroleague this past year.

The 6-foot-9 forward has earned a number of honors during his European playing career, including 2005 and 2006 Spanish club finals MVP.

The 28-year-old has spent 11 seasons playing in Europe and has played in two Olympics.

"It's an important moment for me," Garbajosa said in a conference call from Spain. "I have played a lot of years here in Europe, and the Toronto Raptors gave me the opportunity to try to play in the best league in the world. I like the city, I like the team, I like everything else, so I want to be part of it."

Before playing with Unicaja, Garbajosa spent four seasons with Benetton Treviso in Italy. Maurizio Gherardini, Toronto's new assistant general manager and Benetton's former GM, recommended the Raptors sign him.

"He's a guy who's not afraid of fighting anybody," Gherardini. "He's got the size to go against guys in the paint without being afraid of anybody."

The signing adds another European to the team. General manager Bryan Colangelo selected Italian forward Andrea Bargnani with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, then signed Anthony Parker, an American who played the last six seasons in Israel with Maccabi Tel Aviv. He acquired Slovenian center Rasho Nesterovic in a trade with the San Antonio Spurs, and hired Gherardini.

Toronto's roster also includes Spanish guard Jose Calderon.

BBallfanJ
07-25-2006, 03:04 AM
I can see Bargnani getting minutes at centre as a rookie. After Bosh, there's not enough minutes at the 4 to keep Bargnani, Garbajosa and Humphris all happy. Slokar will likely warm the bench much of this next season.

Neozyrus
07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I dont see clearly garbajosa on the starting five of Toronto, although he obviously deserve it.
Bosch was the best payer of raptors last season and coach is not going to leave him in bench, bargnani is a number1 pick that would be very very strange that the coach would leave him sitted and, in the sf position, they have signed antonhy parker, that would try to make a "shawn marion " kind of work, and even in the center position you alo have rasho nesterovic... so many good tall players.....
So im afraid that, or garbajosa impresses the coach in the world cup or in the trainings of pre-season (which, watching his last games, is completely possible), or he will start the season in the bench.

Civilis
07-28-2006, 09:42 AM
It is strange to me that next season I will be supporting the NBA team which will not have a single Lithuanian on board. I hope Saras could join Toronto in the future (though unlikely as they already have Calderon and Ukic in perspective). Symbolically, the most European NBA team comes from Canada :)

I still would not trust Rasho as a starting centre... But go, Europeans, just do it! :)