Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerusalem-Maccabi Cup final

Ended about an hour ago at Nokia Arena.
    Maccabi were up by 22 pts in 3rd quarter, 64-42.
    Amazingly, In maybe the greatest comeback ever in Israeli bball, Jerusalem won 93-89.

this one you gotta see.
    i guess a torrent will be available soon. take your time and download it.

Comment

I recorded and watched the entire game on vcr, including post game interviews and ceremonies.

Comment

wait a minute... this is like 2nd time in a row Maccabi lost the cup trophy, while If (big If though my memory isn't too fluent recently) I remember correctly only one team not called Maccabi TA won the Cup before that in entire history?

congrats to Jerusalem. Not having a "trophy monopol" is definately good for basketball in Israel I suppose... I'll follow Ziv's advice
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Check this out in last quarter Maccabi led by 20 points. Then the referees entered the picture an started to whistle some weird calls against Maccabi.
          25 fouls have been whistled against Maccabi in the last quarter! i never saw such a thing before.
          Jaime Arnold was 22 times on the line!

Comment

5 teams not called Maccabi TA won the Israeli state cup, a total of 13 times since the competition was inaugurated in 1956.
            I wonder if situation in Slovenia is any better in this equivalent competition...
            Fact check for Kasmer, the 3rd ended 73:55.
            at the beginning of the 4th Jerusalem started to full court press and ran 14-0. maccabi didn't even get past the half court.
            The refs didn't decided anything, they were just bad as usable for both sided.
            Maccabi pulled a disappearing act in the 4th I never saw before.

Comment

Originally posted by ArnoldPettybone
              5 teams not called Maccabi TA won the Israeli state cup, a total of 13 times since the competition was inaugurated in 1956.
              I wonder if situation in Slovenia is any better in this equivalent competition...
              I knew I must have messed that up... thanks for explanation. OT- but: what's the case with national championships?
              Situation in Slovenia isn't much different at all, Olimpija lost only 3 cup titles and 3 national champs in 16 years. Especialy in the 90ies they were dominant, but getting from ex-yu league to slovenian one was just like Tau suddenly playing basque league instead of ACB.
              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

league established in 53/54.
                since then maccabi lost 6 national titles, 5 of those were in the 60's. The last title that another team won was in 1992-93.

Comment

It was the best refering that I've been see in my life.

If I'm a Maccabi's management-I'll quit imidiatly from the league and w'ont play on Sunday.

But Mizrahi will never do it.

Yes. Sherf is totaly unclean of mistakes, but 22 points in 11 minutes?
                  2022/2023:
                  PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
                  SG: Baldwin, Hollins
                  SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
                  PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
                  PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

Wow, that's really a big surprise to me. I thought Maccabi were going back to winning ways with their new coach. Perhaps they just fell asleep when they were leading by 20 points. You guys have any torrent links?

Comment

the IBA had the game on the website. check it out and say if it's available from outside of Israel.
                      http://www.iba.org.il/media/
                      as said - it is the second time in a row but last years we lost in the semis so it's fine. a small progress every year. next year we might even be expreinced enough to win it all...

Comment

Originally posted by ziv
                        the IBA had the game on the website. check it out and say if it's available from outside of Israel.
                        http://www.iba.org.il/media/
                        Yes, it works - thanks a lot man! I'm watching it now

Comment

Originally posted by Kasmer
                          25 fouls have been whistled against Maccabi in the last quarter! i never saw such a thing before.
                          Jaime Arnold was 22 times on the line!
                          wait, 25 fouls in last quarter alone? how is that possible?
                          if we take into consideration that a quarter is 10 minutes that means they were fouling Maccabi every 24 seconds
                          "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Picek
                            wait, 25 fouls in last quarter alone? how is that possible?
                            if we take into consideration that a quarter is 10 minutes that means they were fouling Maccabi every 24 seconds
                            I'm glad that U wrote it.
                            I'm invite everey user here (not from Israel), to watch and tell his impressions from the last quarter.

73-55 to Maccabi in the beggining of the last quarter, Maccabi in full control of the game.
                            Now, the objective users will tell us did the referees deside the game or not.
                            2022/2023:
                            PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
                            SG: Baldwin, Hollins
                            SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
                            PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
                            PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

Just finished watching the game. Here are my impressions:

First of all I did a checklist of the fouls in the last Quarter and counted 18 (16 Defensive Fouls, 2 Offensive Fouls) instead of 25. There were a few questionable calls (I'm not sure on the last foul of Batista for example, the viewing angle wasn't the best either to judge that though), but the majority of the calls seemed to be alright. Quite a few came after Steals or Offensive Rebounds by Jerusalem btw.

Sherfs coaching in the last Quarter was not good imho, he took the timeout way too late during Jerusalems run in the beginning of the 4th, and I didn't understand why the ball was put into Bynums hands that much in the end of the game, instead of searching for a good look. Bynum scored some important buckets, but also committed some decisive mistakes, for example when he missed his FT (after a scored basket + foul) with 40secs to go and Jerusalem leading 90-89. Maccabi took the offensive rebound, but Bynum committed a stupid (and clear) offensive foul only 8 seconds later, giving the ball into Hapoels hands. What followed was the Batista scene, which I can't and don't want to judge here.

Key for this big comeback by Jerusalem were three things imho:
                              A) Maccabi is not really good at playing a halfcourt offense, they're at their best when they're running the open court (one of the main reasons for their excellent FG percentages btw imo), while set play isn't exactly their fav. In the 4th Quarter Jerusalem managed to prevent them from playing that kind of game, they had to settle with a halfcourt offense, and obviously had big problems there.
                              B) Jerusalems press defence: I really was surprised how many problems Maccabi had with this defence in the 4th Quarter, at times they really had difficulties to bring the ball out of their half, and Jerusalem stole the ball quite a few times that way.
                              C) Offensive rebounding. Maccabi had problems controlling their defensive rebound for quite a stretch during the 4th Quarter. I don't know the reason for that, as Morris and Fizer looked way better during the first three Quarters and in other Maccabi games I've seen this season in rebounding, but they had problems there. Especially Arnold took an advantage out of that, and was fouled a few times after grabbing the offensive board.

Arnold really played a good game, Maccabi didn't find a way to stop him, while Jerusalems backcourt also looked better than Maccabis in the 4th. Especially on the PG position Tel Aviv lacked creativity, neither Halperin (more than the other two though) nor Bynum nor Cummings are great creative PGs, they all have their strengths in scoring.
                              I liked Hagag for Jerusalem there, he didn't only do a better job in playmaking than Maccabis players imho, he also played a really aggressive defense (I still know him that way from AEK and the Israeli NT).

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information