PDA

View Full Version : Argentina 2008

Kings
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
http://bbs.argstorm.com/attachments/month_0804/20080404_787605177b32d8c4adcaPRVc375II8eG.jpg

Friendly Games
7.09 Argentina 88 - Poland 86
7.12 Argentina 88 - Mexico 60
7.13 Argentina 97 - Uruguay 60
7.17 Argentina 92 - Mexico 74
7.22 Argentina 88 - Spain 90
7.25 Argentina 75 - Lithuania 94
7.26 Argentina 62 - Spain 87

3rd FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=4902)
Preliminary Round
7.29 Argentina 81 - Iran 71 (http://www.nanjing2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/diamBall/men/scheResu/p/eventid//gamename/1/groupname/B/langlc//roundid/6361/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
7.31 Argentina 75 - Serbia 60 (http://www.nanjing2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/diamBall/men/scheResu/p/eventid//gamename/3/groupname/B/langlc//roundid/6361/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
Finals
8.01 Argentina 95 - Australia 91 (http://www.nanjing2008.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/diamBall/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4002/gamename/9/groupname/9/langlc/en/roundid/6362/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)

29th Olympic Games (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=2963)
Preliminary Round
8.10 Argentina 75 - Lithuania 79 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid//gamename/2/groupname/A/langlc//roundid/6450/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
8.12 Argentina 85 - Australia 68 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/6/groupname/A/langlc/en/roundid/6450/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
8.14 Argentina 77 - Croatia 53 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/9/groupname/A/langlc/en/roundid/6450/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
8.16 Argentina 97 - Iran 82 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/12/groupname/A/langlc/en/roundid/6450/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
8.18 Argentina 91 - Russia 79 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/15/groupname/A/langlc/en/roundid/6450/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
Quarter-Finals
8.20 Argentina 80 - Greece 78 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/A/groupname/34/langlc/en/roundid/6451/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
Semi-Finals
8.22 Argentina 81 - USA 101 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/A/groupname/36/langlc/en/roundid/6452/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)
3rd to 4th Place
8.24 Argentina 87 - Lithuania 75 (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/A/groupname/37/langlc/en/roundid/6454/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html)

bman
02-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Roster unknown? Several NBA stars did not play in the Americas tournement, will they all compete?

robbe
02-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm 100% sure they will. Olympic Gold is the highest goal for an international basketball player, and even though the core of this team has already done it in 2004, they'll be eager to compete again. Which makes Argentina one of the big favourites to win gold. Unless there are injuries, we can count on Manu, Scola, Nocioni, Oberto etc. to compete again.

alermac
02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
From the main core, we can count 100% on Manu, Nocioni, Oberto, Delfino and Scola.

Wolkowyski and Sanchez have both manifested their doubts, because of age and personal reasons.

Herrmann is an enigma. He once said he didn't have passion for the game anymore, it is just a job for him, and really doesn't want to play in his vacation.

The rest should be Prigioni, Kammerichs and some renovation of inside players (Mainoldi, González and JP Gutiérrez)

mvblair
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Is JP Gutiérrez the same as Leo Gutiérrez? I think he's a fantastic player. I've liked him for many years. I think he's one of the smartest players on the planet. Argentinos here have disagreed with me, but I think he could play on any EL team and a lot of NBA teams.

Argentina's team is stacked, top to bottom.

alermac
02-28-2008, 12:23 AM
JP is Juan Pedro Gutiérrez, a 25-year-old 2,06 center currently playing for Spain's CB Granada. Mostly a very good defender that can contribute with a very dangerous outside shot, like a younger Wolkowyski. He played little in last year's Americas', but he was coming out of a seven-month injury. This season he's been a regular reserve, and excelled when Curtis Borchardt couldn't show up.

PRSURF
02-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah, i think him and Logrippo are great. :cool:

Neozyrus
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I think more or less the final list should be taken from these players:

PG
Prigioni - 1.86 - 31 - TAU
Pepe Sanchez - 1.92 - 31 - Barcelona
A. Porta - 1.88 - 25 - Spartak SP
Gianella - 1.87 - 30 - Granada

SG
Ginobili - 1.98 - 30 - San Antonio
Carlos Delfino - 1.99 . 27 - Toronto
Patricio Prato - 1.93 - 19 - Rieti
Tuky Bulfoni - 1.92 - 31 - Leon

SF
Nocioni - 1.99 - 28 - Chicago
Herrmann - 2.07 - 28 - Detroit
Hernan Jasen - 1.98 - 30 - Estudiantes
Gabini - Roma - 1.98 - 33 - Roma

PF
Scola - 2.06 - 27 - Houston (Its the same putting him here than in centers)
Kammerichs - 2.03 - 28 - Murcia
Baldo - 2.00 - 31 - Gran Canaria

C
Oberto - 2.07 - 33- San Antonio
Wolkowisky - 2.07 - 35 - Scafati
Juan Gutierrez - 2.05 - 25 .- Granada

And from what i saw from LEB, some really really interesting players could be:

Diego LoGrippo - Burgos - 1.98 - 30 - SF/PF
Leo Mainoldi - Lleida - 2.05 -22 - C/PF
Paolo Quinteros - CAI - 1.85 - 28 - PG
Matias Lescano - CAI - 1.96 - 27 - SG
Diego Ciociari - Melilla - 1.85 - 27 - PG
Diego Garcia - Burgos - 1.86 - 27 - PG
Lucas Victoriano - CAI - 1.90 - 30 - PG
Diego Guaita - Tenerife - 2.04 - 25 - PF

alermac
02-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I think Paolo Quinteros, Mainoldi, Román González and Lo Grippo have much bigger chance of making the team than Baldo, Bulfoni, Prato or Gabini. I think a preliminary list would look like this:

PG
1-¿Sánchez? 2-Prigioni 3-Porta 4-Gianella

SG
1-Manu 2-Delfino 3-Quinteros

SF
1-Nocioni 2-¿Herrmann? 3-Kammerichs 4-Jasen

PF/C
1-Scola 2-Oberto 3-¿Wolkowyski? 4-Román González 5-L Gutiérrez, JP Gutiérrez, Mainoldi, Lo Grippo, Fernández

Neozyrus
02-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I think Paolo Quinteros, Mainoldi, Román González and Lo Grippo have much bigger chance of making the team than Baldo, Bulfoni, Prato or Gabini. I think a preliminary list would look like this:

PG
1-¿Sánchez? 2-Prigioni 3-Porta 4-Gianella

SG
1-Manu 2-Delfino 3-Quinteros

SF
1-Nocioni 2-¿Herrmann? 3-Kammerichs 4-Jasen

PF/C
1-Scola 2-Oberto 3-¿Wolkowyski? 4-Román González 5-L Gutiérrez, JP Gutiérrez, Mainoldi, Lo Grippo, Fernández

Mainoldi is doing a superb season, he should be in a good ACB team next year, and LoGrippo is doing also great, he finally found the regularity he hasnt some years ago.
For the Sg position, Bulfoni is doing the hell of a season in Leon, Lescano and Quinteros are more or less at the same level right now in CAI and Prato has been quite regular during this season.

And about Baldo and Gabini, i think it would depend on the type of the team that the coach would like, if he wants some experence and to continue with the block of the latest years, he maybe could add Baldo or Gabini, but if he wants to give some opportunities to new players, then Mainoldi and LoGrippo should be in the top of that list, but obviously u would know that much better than me ;).

I almost hadnt seen Roman Gonzalez, just some videos of him in the latest years, mostly when he was in Rimini and Leon, and some videos of him in Argentina, but i suppose that putting him so high in the tall-men list, it would mean that hes doing a great season?

alermac
03-01-2008, 04:06 PM
I agree that most of the players you mentioned are good and possibly better than the others, but these others have a big advantage: they have taken part in the NT and proved themselves. That's what puts González, Quinteros, Porta and Kammerichs ahead of Baldo, Bulfoni, Gianella and Gabini, in my opinion, even though these are also very good.

Neozyrus
03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah thats a classic coach's position, u put the players that u know best and that have given u the best results, u know, u never change something that really woks (and Argentina in the latest years has been doing an awesome work so...). Thats really logic.

alermac
03-14-2008, 04:56 AM
another player that could be part of a preliminary roster is Robert Battle, a 2,06 and 27 year old center who is reportedly about to naturalized as Argentinean. He is undoubtedly the best center in LNB along with Román González, although is very unlikely to be in this year's Olympics, possibly just in South American Championship.

mvblair
03-14-2008, 01:10 PM
another player that could be part of a preliminary roster is Robert Battle, a 2,06 and 27 year old center who is reportedly about to naturalized as Argentinean. He is undoubtedly the best center in LNB...The Demon of Drexel, man!! Battle is great. He could easily be in the EL. He's a great, great player. But if he were naturalized, I still don't think he would be a good choice for the Argentine NT. He's good, but we can name a half-dozen better centers for Argentina.

alermac
03-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Pepe Sánchez announced his retirement from Argentina NT today. It's a shame, but i think the position is pretty well covered.

Neozyrus
03-29-2008, 07:21 PM
It is said that the main candidates to fill his post on the NT could be Porta, Gianella (as we already said) and Fabricio Vay from the D-League.
I really dont know that guy.

alermac
03-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Coach Hernandez had already mentioned Porta as a first option to be the backup, but he just had a big injury that will make him miss the rest of the season in Russia and he may not be at 100% for the Olympics. Then Gianella would be the second choice, and other options can be Maximiliano Stanic (Pau Orthez), the comeback of Lucas Victoriano (Zaragoza) or Luis Cequeira (Boca Juniors). Obviously, Pablo Prigioni is the starter.

Fabricio Vay is a tall SF; he left his club Atenas at age 16 to play in Valencia's youth teams, got released and has played in Girona's youth teams, in Austria's second division and now in the D-League.

ArkadiosV2
04-05-2008, 10:18 AM
According to a Greek sports website Walter Hermann retired from Argentina NT.

Obviously he needs to be spending more time with his family after what happened in 2003.

Really sad really...

rikhardur
04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
If true that's really a pity. But it's nevertheless understandable.

Neozyrus
04-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Obviously he needs to be spending more time with his family after what happened in 2003.

Really sad really...

I didnt heard it, but it makes sense.
After all he has passed, he deserves all.
He's really a great guy, its a pity for Argentina but if he thinks that this is the best for him, there is nothing to do but to support him.

Kings
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Herrmann out of Olympics for Argentina (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/cp//langid/1/newsid/24011/arti.html)

sinobball
04-14-2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.xgsun.cn/mv/bencandy.php?fid=11&id=1301
Argentinian NT commercial .... in Chinese???

ajaxballer
04-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I can't believe Herrmann isn't playing in Beijing, he was one of my favorite players on the Argentinian national team. I think this will be a pretty big hit to their depth at the wing spot and the sad thing for Argentina is that there isn't many young stars ready to fill the void. I hope they still do well, they still have a lot of talent.

alermac
04-15-2008, 12:42 AM
http://www.xgsun.cn/mv/bencandy.php?fid=11&id=1301
Argentinian NT commercial .... in Chinese???
Yes, Chinese company Li Ning is the provider for Argentinean NT.

They are the ones responsible for such a hideous uniform.

sinobball
04-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Yes, Chinese company Li Ning is the provider for Argentinean NT.

They are the ones responsible for such a hideous uniform.Is the commercial shown in Argentina?

ajaxballer
04-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Didn't Li Ning sponsor Spain as well?

sinobball
04-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Didn't Li Ning sponsor Spain as well?
Yeah. Li Ning sponsors winners, and Chinese like winners, that's why they can broadcast a NT from another country inside China. However I'm not aware of any Spanish NT Li-Ning commercial; maybe Argentina NT is more popular in China?? (Because no Spanish player in Houston Rockets team?)

alermac
04-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Is the commercial shown in Argentina?
No, at least not yet.

maybe Argentina NT is more popular in China?? (Because no Spanish player in Houston Rockets team?)
I guess so. But i think Scola is not a Li-Ning player, i read he signed with Anta.

alermac
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Today, Sergio Hernández announced two preliminaty lists, one for the South American Championship and the other for the Olympics.

Olympic list:

PG:
Pablo Prigioni (Tau, Spain)
Antonio Porta (Spartak St Petersburg, Russia)
Nicolás Gianella (Granada, Spain)

SG:
Emanuel Ginóbili (San Antonio, NBA)
Carlos Delfino (Toronto, NBA)

SF:
Andrés Nocioni (Chicago, NBA)
Federico Kammerichs (Murcia, Spain)

PF:
Leonardo Gutiérrez (Boca, Argentina)
Luis Scola (Houston, NBA)

C:
Fabricio Oberto (San Antonio, NBA)

These 10 players will be joined by a few players from the other list, to complete the preliminary roster. Being on this list doesn't mean they have a sure Olympic spot.

South American list:

PG
Maximiliano Stanic (Pau Orthez, France)
Nicolás De los Santos (owned by Granada)
Diego Gerbaudo (Real Madrid B, Spain)
Luis Cequeira (Boca, Argentina)

SG:
Paolo Quinteros (Zaragoza, Spain)
Matías Lescano (Zaragoza, Spain)
Matías Nocedal (Mérida, Spain - owned by Tau)
Javier Bulfoni (León, Spain)

SF:
Matías Sandes (Fuenlabrada, Spain)
Roberto Gabini (Roma, Italy)
Sebastián Vega (Central Entrerriano, Argentina)

PF:
Diego Lo Grippo (Burgos, Spain)
Andrés Pelussi (Libertad, Argentina)
Leonardo Mainoldi (Lleida, Spain)

C:
Federico Aguerre (Boca, Argentina)
Juan Gutiérrez (Granada, Spain)
Román González (Peñarol, Argentina)

This list combines some players that have a chance to be on the Olympic squad and a few youth players that will have a first NT experience.

My take is, the preliminary Olympic team will include Quinteros, Román González, Juan Gutiérrez, Gabini, and Leo Mainoldi.

DanMajerle
05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Wolkowyski won't play?

mvblair
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Wolkowyski won't play? I haven't heard anything. I Wolkowyski is not playing, Argentina suddenly loses a lot amongst their big men. Sure, Scola and Oberto are great, but teams need lots of meat on the block these days. Gutiérrez is still a great player - NBA worthy, I've always thought. He'll be OK.

I'm awfully disappointed about Herrmann too. He's still a great player, but with his family tragedies and perhaps (amateur psychologist here) his depression of not playing much made him decide to drop out.

At least Argentina is bringing a great set of guards and off-forwards. Even with ol' Sanchez leaving, they look good.

Vasileios Spanoulis
05-09-2008, 04:18 PM
We don't know what the rosters of the teams will be yet (a good example like Big Z playing for Lithuania) but as it appears it looks like Argentina is going to have to overachieve to win a bronze. In past years they had either the best or second best team.

But now I'd say it looks something like:

1. USA

2. toss up between Spain, Lithuania, Greece

5. Argentina

alermac
05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Wolkowyski won't play?
No, he won't. Apparently his baaaaaad season in Poland and Italy convinced coach Hernández about him being finally over the hill. He possibly thinks Román González and Juan Gutiérrez can fill in adequately, each one in a different role.

rikhardur
05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, I think his glory days are over, he's on the way down rapidly and he's old already. Better give his place to a young centre, Argentina must start thinking about rebuilding, Ginóbilis, Obertos and Scolas won't last forever.

ArkadiosV2
05-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Is Pepu Sanzchez reconsidering his decision to quit Ragentina NT?

alermac
05-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Is Pepu Sanzchez reconsidering his decision to quit Ragentina NT?
No, not at all. It seems definitive.

rikhardur
05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
ARG – Nocioni excited about playing at Olympics again with Argentina

BUENOS AIRES (Olympics) - Andres Nocioni is champing at the bit to play for Argentina again this summer when they defend the Olympic title they captured at the Athens Games.

Chapu, as he is known in his country, missed last year’s FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas because of a foot injury.

"Having taken a break last year, I am really looking forward to representing Argentina again,” he said.

Nocioni had a sensational Olympic tournament in 2004 before his rookie campaign with the Chicago Bulls and he also played well at the 2006 FIBA World Championship where Argentina finished fourth.

They might have gone on to win the gold medal in Japan had Nocioni made a last-second three-pointer from the corner in their semi-final against Spain. Instead, Sergio Hernandez’s team lost in the bronze medal game to Team USA.

After a disappointing campaign in Chicago, who failed to make the play-offs, Nocioni is anxious to get back on the court.

"We (Chicago) never played as a team, we didn't play defense and we deserved to be out of the play- offs,” Nocioni said.

"The only positive thing with the Bulls this year is that I had no injuries and I played 82 games, but from a team level it was very complicated,” he said.

“We had a team to fight for the Eastern title but in the end, it was a disaster.

"The good thing from having been eliminated from the play-offs is that I can rest to be well for the national team.”

The Beijing Games will be an extremely difficult tournament for the Argentinians, if only because there are so many good teams in international basketball, now.

They were drawn in Group A with Australia, Lithuania, Russia and Iran.

"We must have a good preparation because the Olympics is a much harder competition than the World Championship,” Nocioni said.

“There are no easy rivals. Everyone is strong.”

Team USA will no doubt like to face Argentina again after losing to them in the semi-finals four years ago.

"We don't fear the Dream Team (USA) and I would really like to avenge the defeat to Spain,” Nocioni said.

"We are capable of winning a medal. We are going as one of the favorites and there is no reason why should we avoid that pressure.

“Each of us knows what our role is in the national team is and what we have to do."

Pepe Sanchez was one of the point guards at the Athens Olympics and he was arguably Argentina’s best player at the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

However, the 31-year-old Sanchez recently decided to retire from the national team.

Nocioni believes Pablo Prigioni of Tau Ceramica, the club he once played for in Spain, will do just fine as the starting playmaker.

"I believe Pablo Prigioni could be a good replacement for Pepe Sanchez," Nocioni said.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/24619/arti.html

alermac
05-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Preseason plans for Olympic team:

July 9th: match against Poland, in Rosario.
July 13th & 14th: Super 4 tournament in Buenos Aires, rivals to be determined.
July 17th: match against Mexico in Mar del Plata.
July 22nd: match against Lithuania, in Orense (Spain).
July 23rd: match against Spain in Orense.
July 26th: match against Spain in Madrid or Zaragoza.
Then, off to China to play Diamond Ball & Olympics.

mmz6
05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
cool!

alermac
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
2 changes in Argentina's South American list:

-SG's Javier Bulfoni and Matías Lescano declined the invitation; Lescano said he doesn't want to lose his status as a Spanish selectable player before making his ACB debut next season.

-The replacements are SG Diego García (Burgos -LEB Gold, Spain-) and SF Marcos Mata (Peñarol, LNB Argentina)

rikhardur
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Julio Lamas will be Sergio Hernández's assistant coach.

alermac
06-16-2008, 03:28 AM
First two exhibition games, played by the South American "B" roster in Resistencia (Chaco, Argentina):

Friday:

Argentina 104 - Uruguay 67

Argentina (104) Maximiliano Stanic 2, Paolo Quinteros 20, Marcos Mata 8, Andrés Pelussi 13, Román González 14 (starters) Leonardo Mainoldi 14, Diego García 8, Juan Gutiérrez 9, Luis Cequeira 8, Sebastián Vega 4, Nicolás De Los Santos 4, Diego Gerbaudo 0. Coach: Guillermo Narvarte.

Uruguay (67): Fernando Martínez 16, Nicolás Mazzarino 9, Mauricio Aguiar 10, Claudio Charquero 9, Sebastián Izaguirre 2 (starters) Nicolás Borselino 4, Martín Osimani 6, Diego Castrillón 2, Sebastián Vázquez 2, Gustavo Barrera 2, Juan P. Silveira 3, Emilio Taboada 2. Coach: Gerardo Jauri.
http://www.chacobasket.com.ar/Semanas/2008_06_JUNIO/14_06_2008_selec_32.jpg
http://www.chacobasket.com.ar/Semanas/2008_06_JUNIO/14_06_2008_selec_3.jpg

Saturday:
Uruguay 94 - Argentina 85

Argentina (85): Maximiliano Stanic 6, Paolo Quinteros 26, Marcos Mata 2, Andrés Pelussi 4, Román González 22 (starters), Diego García 11, Luis Cequeira 4, Juan Gutiérrez 4, Leonardo Mainoldi 6. DT: Guillermo Narvarte.

Uruguay (94): Martín Osimani 18, Nicolás Mazzarino 15, Mauricio Aguiar 13, Nicolás Borselino 6, Claudio Charquero 15 (starters), Fernando Martínez 5, Emilio Taboada 3, Gustavo Barrera 1, Gastón Páez 4, Sebastián Izaguirre 14. Coach: Gerardo Jauri

http://www.chacobasket.com.ar/Semanas/2008_06_JUNIO/15_06_2008_selec_41.jpg
http://www.chacobasket.com.ar/Semanas/2008_06_JUNIO/15_06_2008_selec_34.jpg

alermac
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Manu Ginóbili:

"I'm a little worried, the ankle injury is worse than i thought."

"At the end of the season, i was injected with corticoids. The liquid is gone, but the ligament is still inflamated, it pinches when i change speeds or try to jump"

"I don't know what can happen because I've never been in this situation, i always had regular sprains that heal in a week or two. Now it's a matter of waiting and see how it turns out"

Uh-oh.

donmar
06-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Manu Ginóbili:

"At the end of the season, i was injected with corticoids. The liquid is gone, but the ligament is still inflamated, it pinches when i change speeds or try to jump"

"I don't know what can happen because I've never been in this situation, i always had regular sprains that heal in a week or two. Now it's a matter of waiting and see how it turns out"

Uh-oh.

I hope he recover... he's one of my favourites!

rikhardur
06-20-2008, 10:51 AM
NT doctor Diego Grippo stated Ginóbili's chances to play remain intact. I surely hope so too.

mvblair
06-21-2008, 02:32 AM
NT doctor Diego Grippo stated Ginóbili's chances to play remain intact. I surely hope so too.I always like it when you use the accents, because I just cut and paste from you, Rick!

Well, Popovich is now chiming in on the Ginóbili situation:

Spurs coach: Ginobili should consider sitting out Games (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-bko-argentina-ginobili&prov=ap&type=lgns) -- By ELIZABETH WHITE, AP, 6/19/2008

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Thursday that Manu Ginobili should “definitely not” play for Argentina in the Olympics if his injured left ankle doesn’t improve.

Ginobili hurt his ankle early in the playoffs and a recent MRI revealed that a ligament in his heel is about five times the size of the one in his other heel, Popovich said.

Ginobili will have another MRI in three weeks, but Popovich said that “if it hasn’t changed at all, I think he should definitely not play in the Olympics.”

Popovich said Ginobili will wear a walking boot for the next few weeks. The guard’s signature explosiveness was hampered during the playoffs, particularly during the Western Conference finals against Los Angeles.

“He understands fully on an intellectual basis the problem here and he doesn’t want to jeopardize his season with the Spurs,” Popovich said. “Now Manu also has a pretty high pain tolerance, as we all know. So in that sense, I’m maybe not trying to convince him, but put the facts in front of him so he can make his own decision at some point.”

Popovich said that the Spurs are supportive of summertime play, especially when it’s organized—as opposed to pickup games—something that he said tends to reduce the risk for injury.

“But I’ve never felt like this before where I’ve been very nervous about him playing,” Popovich said. “And if it’s the same as it is now I just don’t think he should play and I think he needs to have that opinion. I think I have to say that to him.”

... I don't want to make controversy where there is no controversy. I'm afraid that's what's happening here. I mean, basically Popovich said that if Ginóbili is injured, he shouldn't play. Popovich's comments are basically much ado about nothing. I shouldn't even post them here. :D

robbe
06-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Well, Popovich is now chiming in on the Ginóbili situation:
I don't want to make controversy where there is no controversy. I'm afraid that's what's happening here. I mean, basically Popovich said that if Ginóbili is injured, he shouldn't play. Popovich's comments are basically much ado about nothing. I shouldn't even post them here. :D
The pictures of his heel Pop showed him - clearly manipulated.

alermac
06-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Anyway, Manu said he would only make his decision after a few exams on hins ankle, scheduled for July. Then we'll see.

Argentina's released the final roster for the South American championship:

PG:
Maxi Stanic (age 28, moved from Pau Orthez -FRA- to Pesaro -ITA-)
Luis Cequeira (age 23, moved from Boca -ARG- to Regatas Corrientes -ARG-)

SG:
Paolo Quinteros (age 29, CAI Zaragoza -ESP-)
Diego García (age 29, Burgos -ESP-)
Nicolás de los Santos (age 20, rights held by Granada -ESP-)

SF:
Juan Manuel Locatelli (age 32, moved from Peñarol -ARG- to Atenas -ARG-)
Marcos Mata (age 22, Peñarol -ARG-)
Sebastián Vega (age 20, rights held by Unicaja Málaga -ESP-)

PF:
Leo Mainoldi (age 23, moved from Lleida -ESP- to Fuenlabrada -ESP-)
Andrés Pelussi (age 31, Libertad -ARG-)

C:
Román González (age 30, Peñarol -ARG-)
Juan Gutiérrez (age 25, Granada -ESP-)

A few of these guys will be at the Olympics; Quinteros and González will sure be, and others (Mainoldi, Pelussi, Gutiérrez) will try to earn a shot at the Olympic squad.

michael_selway
06-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Manu Ginóbili:

Uh-oh.

He a great player, it will be bad without him in the olympics

thx

MS

rikhardur
06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Ginóbili is optimistic and revealed he thinks there are clear chances to play in Beijing. He also said the Spurs won't be an obstacle.
http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=49923

alermac
06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Argentina's South American squad played a tournament in Chile:

on Sunday:

Argentina (86): M. Stanic 0, P. Quinteros 16, M. Mata 5, A. Pelussi 4, R. González 26 (F.I.); D. García 23, L. Cequeira 7, J. Locatelli 2, J. Gutiérrez 2, L. Mainoldi 1. Coach: Guillermo Narvarte.

Uruguay (91): Martín Osimani 15, N. Mazzarino 16, M. Aguiar 6, C. Charquero 5, E. Batista 22 (F.I.); S. Izaguirre 3, L.G.Morales 10, G. Barrera 7, J.P. Silveira 3, G. Páez 0, D. Castrillón 4. Coach: Gerardo Jauri.

http://www.pickandroll.com.ar/Grafica/Noticias/00012116-00000262.jpg

on Monday:

Argentina (85): Maximiliano Stanic 4, Paolo Quinteros 34, Marcos Mata 7, Andrés Pelussi 6, Román González 9 (FI), Luis Cequeira 4, Diego García 6, Leonardo Mainoldi 6, Juan Gutiérrez 5, Juan Manuel Locatelli 2, Sebastián Vega 0, Nicolás De los Santos 2. DT: Guillermo Narvarte.

Brasil (70): Helio 11, Diego 4, Guilherme 9, W. Drudi 0, Coloneze 9 (FI), Arthur 7, Caio Torres 12, Manteiguinha 10, André Stefanelli 0, Luis Felipe 0 y Hátila 8. DT: Paulo Sampaio.

http://www.pickandroll.com.ar/Grafica/Noticias/00012123-00000264.jpg

Chile won the tourney :eek: , by beating Brazil and Uruguay.

mvblair
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Chile won the tourney :eek: , by beating Brazil and Uruguay. Chile!? Really? That's really surprising. It's fantastic, but really surprising. I hope it's the start of some good things for their NT. I've got a bad feeling it was just luck though...

rikhardur
06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Wolkowyski (angrily) expressed his dismay for not being selected by Hernández for the NT. He added that the players who missed the pre-Olympic tournament are being black listed by Hernández.

I really don't think he has reasons to complain, he's 35 and he didn't have a good season, so what else to expect? :rolleyes: Besides, Argentina needs to refresh looking ahead.

alermac
06-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Plus, he said that Hernández favors players represented by Carlos Villanueva (who is Hernández' agent). Harsh words.

rikhardur
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Ginóbili will be Argentina's flag bearer in Beijing.

rikhardur
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
ARG – Saglietti, Diez and Romano added to Argentina group

BUENOS AIRES (Olympics) - Argentina coach Sergio Hernández has added Nicolás Romano, Alejandro Diez y Marcos Saglietti to his preliminary squad for the Beijing Games.

The trio will be in the group that begins the preparations for the Olympics on July 4.

The 1.88m Saglietti is a shooting guard of Libertad Sunchales in Argentina and was named Best Sixth Man and Most Improved Player of the Liga Nacional this past season.

Center Nicolás Romano plays for Quilmes de Mar del Plata while Alejandro Diez is a power forward/center who’s on the books of Peñarol de Mar del Plata - the team that Hernandez led to the inaugural FIBA Americas League title earlier this year.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/26306/arti.html

alermac
07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
It must be added that Saglietti, Romano and Diez aren't officially part of the preselected team; they will only attend the NT camp as sparrings.

rikhardur
07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Ginóbili will be Argentina's flag bearer in Beijing.
http://www.acb.com/fotos/35194_4_60024_4.jpg

alermac
07-05-2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.acb.com/fotos/35194_4_60024_4.jpg
Personally, i don't like the idea of the flag carrier being a basketball player, because it's such a superprofesional sport. But the Argentinean Olympic Comitee had a debt with basketball, since the torch passed by Buenos Aires and no basketball players were called to run with it.

alermac
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
So, the 13 players are now these:

PG
Pablo Prigioni
Antonio Porta
Nicolás Gianella

SG
Emanuel Ginóbili
Carlos Delfino
Paolo Quinteros

SF
Andrés Nocioni
Federico Kammerichs

PF
Luis Scola
Juan Gutiérrez
Leonardo Gutiérrez

C
Fabricio Oberto
Román González

The main competition will surely be between Porta and Gianella, one of them will be the final cut.

DanMajerle
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
No Gabini?:(

alermac
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
No Gabini?:(
No. He was called for the South American Championship roster, so he could fight for a spot on the main team, but Gabini declined due to having played the Italian finals too little before, thus being tired.

Picek
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
So, the 13 players are now these:

PG
Pablo Prigioni
Antonio Porta
Nicolás Gianella

SG
Emanuel Ginóbili
Carlos Delfino
Paolo Quinteros

SF
Andrés Nocioni
Federico Kammerichs

PF
Luis Scola
Juan Gutiérrez
Leonardo Gutiérrez

C
Fabricio Oberto
Román González

The main competition will surely be between Porta and Gianella, one of them will be the final cut.
surely one of the strongest starting lineups of the whole tournament..
but I have a feeling that the bench is shorter then ever..
especially under the rims..
but this is probably the last chance for Ginobili, Prigioni etc. to try and do something remarkable again..

alermac
07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Argentina 88:86 Poland - Luis Scola 22pts, 9reb.
Argentina (88): Pablo Prigioni 11, Paolo Quinteros 10, Andrés Nocioni 17, Luis Scola 22, Fabricio Oberto 2 (starters) Leo Gutiérrez 12, Román González 1, Nicolás Gianella 0, Juan Gutiérrez 9, Federico Kammerichs 4. Coach Sergio Hernández

Polonia (86): Krzysztof Szubarga 21, Przemyslaw Frasunkiewicz 8, Filip Dylewicz 27, Simón Szewczyc 12, Wojciech Szawarski 3 (starters) Iwo Kitzinger 8, Lukasz Koszarek 0, Marcin Sroka 0, Bartlomiej Woloszyn 3, Adam Lapeta 4. Coach: Muli Katzurin

Quarters: 20-17, 48-43, 66-75
Estadio Newell’s: 7500 people

Juan Gutiérrez came up with the deciding 5 points at the end of the game.

PHILIPeurobasket
07-10-2008, 09:14 PM
http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0/4460/z4460580N.jpg

WOW Great game by Poland :eek: :) !!! After 3rd quarter we led by 11 points! In last action (when Argetina led by 2) Iwo Kitzinger shoot for 3 but he missed :(
Newspapers write that action of the game was Adam Lapeta monster block on Luis Scola :eek: Scola after game said "I will have this block in dreams" ...

Now NT go from Rosario to Buenos Aires, where on 12 and 13 July will play in tournament. First rival will be Urugway, second Argentina or Mexico.

alermac
07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
And Poland also showed ridiculous accuracy from 3P land, they seemed to score everything.

PHILIPeurobasket
07-11-2008, 07:17 AM
And Poland also showed ridiculous accuracy from 3P land, they seemed to score everything.

I believe You, because there wasn't any official stats from this game... :rolleyes:

alermac
07-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I believe You, because there wasn't any official stats from this game... :rolleyes:
I remember from the TV broadcast, it was something like 15/30.

Oberto left the game with a minor injury, he's expected to play today & tomorrow.

rikhardur
07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
ARG – Injuries sideline Oberto, Gutiérrez; Manu on the mend

BUENOS AIRES (Olympics) – With Argentina’s Olympic campaign set to tip off in a month, the team’s preparations are being disrupted by injury problems.

Fabricio Oberto and Leonardo Gutiérrez must take a week off from training because of muscular problems, team doctor Diego Grippo has announced.

However, the signs are very good that Manu Ginobili will recover from an ankle injury in time to play at the Beijing Games.

San Antonio sent a member of their medical team, Chad Bergman, to check on Ginobili’s progress in Argentina and he gave a very optimistic report.

"I think Manu will be in good condition in two weeks,” Bergman said.

"Manu Ginobili doesn't feel any pain and he is well, improving.

“The doctors that are working with Ginobili are very good and there's no need for me to stay any longer."

As for Argentina’s narrow win over Poland in Wednesday night’s friendly that was played in Rosario, star forward Luis Scola said the game had been beneficial.

The Houston Rockets ace had 22 points and nine rebounds in the win, and he said: "This game was good for us because we faced a team like Poland who had prepared very well for this game.

“They were focused and played good basketball. It was good training for us of high quality.”

Argentina are nowhere near their best, however.

"We did win, but we played badly,” Scola said.

"But the important thing for us is to face teams that test you in different ways and so we see how we can resolve or overcome them.”

Point guard Pablo Prigioni, Scola’s former teammate at Tau Ceramica, said: "We want to win every preparation game but these games above all should serve us to polish our defensive and offensive game and find our top level for our first Olympic Game against Lithuania.”
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/26513/arti.html

sunara
07-12-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/26513/arti.html

:eek: Many problems for Argentina,

mvblair
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Manu is still going to need to get some strength back. He will be a big threat at 100% or 50%. Let´s hope he gets that ankle in good shape before the Olympics. I´m glad that a Spurs official said he looks OK.

Just from the talk around the internet, nobody is really thinking that Argentina has a big chance, but I still believe in them. They´ll be one of the top 5 teams.

alermac
07-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Just from the talk around the internet, nobody is really thinking that Argentina has a big chance, but I still believe in them. They´ll be one of the top 5 teams.
I really don't get why. From 2006's roster, we only lost Sánchez (big loss), Herrmann (Delfino can easily pick up his minutes), Fernández and Wolkowyski (not-so-big losses); but gained a better Prigioni and instant offense in Quinteros (Herrmann's true replacement, in a kind of way). I think we can get a medal.

Yesterday, in Buenos Aires:

Argentina (88): Pablo Prigioni 5, Paolo Quinteros 17, Andrés Nocioni 18, Luis Scola 20, Román González 8 (starters), Antonio Porta 0, Juan Gutiérrez 17, Nicolás Gianella 0, Federico Kammerichs 0, Marcos Saglietti 3. Coach: Sergio Hernández.

México (60): Pedro Meza 6, Enrique Zúñiga 4, Arim Solares 4, Jesús López 13, Gustavo Ayón 6 (starters), Hugo Carrillo 4 (x), Alonzo Izaguirre 2, Karim Malpica 2, Raymundo Castillo 5, Alejandro Aguirre 0, Omar Quintero 14. Coach: Silvio Santander.

Tonight, against Uruguay, who beat Poland 73-58.

Kings
07-14-2008, 03:15 AM
The first champion in 2008.

rikhardur
07-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Final roster:

PG: Pablo Prigioni and Antonio Porta
SG: Emanuel Ginóbili, Paolo Quinteros and Carlos Delfino
SF: Andrés Nocioni and Federico Kammerichs
PF: Luis Scola and Leonardo Gutiérrez
C: Fabricio Oberto, Román González and Juan Gutiérrez

alermac
07-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Looking at the squad, i get the feeling Hernández will occasionaly use Delfino at the 3, Nocioni and Kammerichs at the 4 and Scola at the 5 if necessary.

Kings
07-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Under 18: Argentina 77 - USA 64

mvblair
07-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I watched the Argentina-Mexico game yesterday. Argentina killed Mexico by about 20 points. Argentina sent their subs out in the second half and they still looked great. Mexico´s NT has been disappointing for the past ten years. They really had promise for a while, but then...

So, I guess Argentina´s doctors are saying that Ginobili is progressing beyond expectations. Propoganda or the ideal situation?

alermac
07-20-2008, 06:28 PM
So, I guess Argentina´s doctors are saying that Ginobili is progressing beyond expectations. Propoganda or the ideal situation?
We'll see it if Manu gets a few minutes in the Spain tour.

Jokinen
07-20-2008, 10:06 PM
We'll see it if Manu gets a few minutes in the Spain tour.

I believe he will, also Delfino should start playing in the next game

usairaq
07-21-2008, 06:20 AM
where can i see the Argentina's newest match pictures?
For some reasons,I want to see the details of their jerseys~

alermac
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
where can i see the Argentina's newest match pictures?
For some reasons,I want to see the details of their jerseys~

I found a few shots:

http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2008/07/18/basquet/fotos/pagina34_foto1.jpg
http://www.endellifotografia.com.ar/scola08.jpg
http://www.endellifotografia.com.ar/scola04.jpg
http://www.endellifotografia.com.ar/nocioni01.jpg

rikhardur
07-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Scola's favourites are Spain, USA, Greece and Argentina.

Kings
07-22-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.as.com/recorte/20080722dasdasbal_1/XLCO/Ies/strong_VICTORIA_strong_Espana_logra.jpg

KWSN-Men
07-22-2008, 11:52 PM
On the next photo, Ginobili is complaining to the refs for the offensive foul that was called... :D

alermac
07-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Manu's ankle looked fine, for a guy in treatment. That play in the end, where Ricky Rubio forced him to miss a fastbreak layup, shows he is still missing the top gear in his engine.

PS: usairaq, do you work at Li Ning?

Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!
07-23-2008, 07:32 AM
On the next photo, Ginobili is complaining to the refs for the offensive foul that was called... :D No,no. It looks like an offensive foul in the photo, but it's actually Mumbrú who is pushing Ginobili, not otherwise.

rikhardur
07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Ginóbili stated Argentina is "very far from getting a medal" but that he wants and thinks the team will improve until the start of the tournament.

KWSN-Men
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
No,no. It looks like an offensive foul in the photo, but it's actually Mumbrú who is pushing Ginobili, not otherwise.

Exactly. But on the next photo, Mumbru is on the ground, 3 meters away from Manu and Navarro is jumping up and down, asking for an offensive foul.:D

g.g
07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Argentina is in such a bad shape, they just scraped a win over Iran by 10 points. I am starting wondering if they could make the quarter-finals?

alermac
07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Argentina is in such a bad shape, they just scraped a win over Iran by 10 points. I am starting wondering if they could make the quarter-finals?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Anyway, you could see the game was so non-intense, Argentina was not precise in basic things like easy passes, the whole offensive flow was null.

And to make matters worse, backup PG Antonio Porta slightly sprained his left ankle. Add the injured right knee, and the possibility of Nicolás Gianella replacing him last-minute is very real.

porompompero
07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Except the first game against Spain in Madrid, the rest of their games played in Spain they weren't enough concencentrated, bad shape or whatever, the thing is they didn't played 100%. It's not that their game has deteriorated, the proof is that game against Spain in Madrid where they lost by 5p. I'd wait till the competition start

lafa
07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Kidding us, right ? Ever saw a Greek NT's game ? And to be honest, he's the captain, he has the right to protest even harder than some other Greek NT players.

PS. If there is someone in the Greek NT that complain (when he is right, of course) in the refs, he's our coach, Giannakis (and maybe Bouroussis). :)

PS2. Wanna start a discussion about Saras and if he complains or not ? :rolleyes:

i kid you not. theo likes to argue and does that a lot. not as much as šaras does, but a lot if we compare him with the next guy.

Except the first game against Spain in Madrid, the rest of their games played in Spain they weren't enough concencentrated, bad shape or whatever, the thing is they didn't played 100%. It's not that their game has deteriorated, the proof is that game against Spain in Madrid where they lost by 5p. I'd wait till the competition start

you mean by 2 points

interxavierxxx
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
To forumers who are from Argentina:

Do any of you know of Bernardo Murphy? I read in Filipino newspaper that our NT is looking for a potential foreign coach and one of the candidates is an Argentinian named Bernardo Murphy? If any of you may, can you provide me some info about the BM's career and achievements as a coach? Thank you very much.

alermac
08-01-2008, 05:44 AM
To forumers who are from Argentina:

Do any of you know of Bernardo Murphy? I read in Filipino newspaper that our NT is looking for a potential foreign coach and one of the candidates is an Argentinian named Bernardo Murphy? If any of you may, can you provide me some info about the BM's career and achievements as a coach? Thank you very much.
He is the head coach of Obras Sanitarias (club from Buenos Aires), he had a great season there with a not so powerful squad, then was considered as a candidate for coach of the year. His head coaching experience isn't long, because the has been an assistant coach for many years in Obras. He has just three seasons as head coach, one in TNA (second division), for Gimnasia LP, and the last two in the main league, for Obras.

alermac
08-02-2008, 12:58 AM
So, after the Australia game:

-could it be? Argentina finally got its inside game going? There even were sparks of Oberto & Scola's passing combinations, and some good paint scoring. Even J. Gutiérrez and González got to the line often. Prigioni is starting to find its rythm.

-Hernández only really trusts 6 players: the starting five plus Delfino. Thus, Nocioni will play a lot of PF.

-Even with Prigioni on court, Manu does some of the real point guarding.

-Oberto and Scola get in foul trouble often. In fact, Argentina fouls a lot.

hotjam_2
08-05-2008, 12:59 AM
They saved the latter part of the Argentina/Australia game on youtube. Here's part 1, just click to the side to watch the other parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgugvS1WX8

JGX
08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Argentina beat Angola 102-86 in a friendly.

rikhardur
09-17-2008, 04:18 PM
ARG - Nocioni beams with pride for Argentina

BUENOS AIRES (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Andres Nocioni is as proud as he's ever been to represent Argentina in international basketball.

The Chicago Bulls star is still in the clouds after he and his compatriots overcame numerous obstacles, chiefly injuries to himself and Manu Ginobili, to win a bronze medal.

The United States beat Argentina in the semi-finals and then won gold, but the South Americans achieved something else.

They departed China with the number one spot in the FIBA World Rankings.

"We have to enjoy being number one in the FIBA Rankings because I don´t know for how many years we will be able to defend that position," Nocioni said. "This is not a basketball country."

Argentina finished runners-up at the 2002 FIBA World Championship and won gold two years later at the Athens Olympics.

After a bronze-medal game defeat to the United States in 2006 at the FIBA World Championship in Japan, the team snatched third place this year in Beijing.

Looking back at China, few players matched the intensity of Nocioni who continued to play despite hurting his knee in a quarter-final triumph over Greece.

"In Beijing, I tried to give everything for my country," he said.

"I made an extra effort. I felt pain with the (knee) injury. In a club, I would have stopped playing but I was immersed in something very important for my country and for the national team."

"Without my character and the way I am, I would have never achieved anything. It comes from the heart to give everything for Argentina."

The commitment, he says, didn't go unnoticed back home.

"People ask me how I do it," he said.

"They praise my strength, my will to win. People have thanked me, they are proud of me and I´m happy they noticed that I leave everything on the court. I like to play like that."

At some point, Nocioni knows he will no longer be able to represent the Albiceleste. That will be a happy occasion, because everyone will appreciate how much he has meant to the national team.

It will also be sad because Chapu is not a player who can be easily replaced.

"I haven´t thought about it," he said, looking ahead to next year's FIBA Americas Championship, the qualifying tournament for the 2006 FIBA World Championship.

"I will evaluate how the season goes, how I am physically and what the family says.

"One thing is certain is that I haven´t played my last game for the national team."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte/p/newsid/28532/arti.html

rikhardur
09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
ARG – Argentina job is Hernandez’s to keep if he wants it

BUENOS AIRES (CABB) - Argentina are hoping that Sergio Hernandez will remain in charge of the national side after leading the Albiceleste to an Olympic bronze medal.

The South Americans won the gold at the Athens Games four years ago under Ruben Magnano and this summer they overcame the loss of star guard Manu Ginobili to injury in their semi-final against Team USA and a troublesome knee that hobbled Andres Nocioni to beat Lithuania and clinch third place.

"We knew it wasn´t an easy process and Sergio did a very good job,” Argentina Basketball Federation vice president German Vaccaro said.

“In a world were results count, there is nothing to discuss. That is why we have offered him the chance to continue in charge of the national team."

Hernandez led Argentina to silver at the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship while in 2006, he guided the team to the semi-finals of the FIBA World Championship in Japan.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28603/arti.html

rikhardur
10-24-2008, 04:10 PM
ARG – Quinteros ready to fight to keep place in Argentina team

ZARAGOZA (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Paolo Quinteros excelled for Argentina at the Olympics this summer but he knows his spot in the Albiceleste squad isn’t guaranteed.

Quinteros will be hoping to play for Argentina next year when they attempt to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

Quinteros, after Manu Ginobili broke down with an ankle injury, came off the bench and played a starring role in the South Americans’ bronze-medal game win over Lithuania.

He was as happy as any of the Argentina players this week when news leaked out that his former Boca Juniors boss Sergio Hernandez had decided to stay on as national team coach.

"I am very happy with the news,” Quinteros said to La Nacion.

“Sergio proved to be very experienced to coach the national team and it would have been a pity if all the work done by him would have come to an end.”

Argentina have called a press conference for 5pm local time to confirm that Hernandez will remain in charge.

Quinteros says he gets no special treatment from his former club coach.

"It's true that I have a close relationship with Sergio because he coached me in the past at club level,” he said.

“However, Sergio doesn't do favors. I know I will have to earn my place again in the national team because I have great players ahead of me in my position, like Manu Ginobili and Carlos Delfino.

“But I want to play at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.”

Quinteros is off to a fast start in Spain’s ACB this season with CAI Zaragoza.

The 29-year-old is averaging 17.7 points per game.

Ginobili, meanwhile, is recovering from ankle surgery that he underwent after the Beijing Games.

He has begun to do some light-shooting at Spurs practices.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich told the San Antonio Express News: “He’s on the court shooting, just stationary shooting.

“He’s not moving or crossing over or pulling up or anything like that. At this moment, he’s not really close to contact or anything like that.”

Ginobili isn’t expected to play for San Antonio before December.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28760/arti.html

rikhardur
10-24-2008, 04:12 PM
ARG – Players back Sergio Hernandez to remain as Argentina coach

BUENOS AIRES (2010 FIBA World Championship) – Argentina are expected to announce on Friday that Sergio Hernandez will remain in charge of the national team.

Hernandez led the team to an Olympic bronze medal this summer and Argentina, who climbed to the top of the FIBA World Rankings after the Beijing Games, made it very clear that he was the man they wanted to hold the reins when the team attempts to qualify next summer for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

Hernandez’s players are very enthusiastic about him staying on as national team coach.

"I think it's good that they want to continue with Sergio as coach,” said San Antonio Spurs star Manu Ginobili.

“He has achieved good results in the last three tournaments.

"It was to be expected that after guiding the national team to a bronze medal that they would offer him the chance to remain in charge. I am happy for him and I hope the success will continue.”

Ginobili also revealed in La Nacion that Hernandez had decided to stay in the job.

"Luckily, Sergio agreed to continue and we haven't fallen into the controversy of who should be the new national coach. Everything has been made easier."

Leo Gutierrez, a long-time national team player who stepped into the breach to play for Ginobili when he went down with an ankle injury in the semi-finals at the Olympics, said: "I think it's good that he continues.

“In the last couple of years, things have gone well for us with him as coach.

“We have achieved important things. Moreover, it gives continuity to the work done and not to have to start over."

Argentina won the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

Hernandez nearly guided the Albiceleste into the final of the 2006 FIBA World Championship but they suffered a narrow defeat to eventual gold medalists Spain in the semi-finals.

The following year, with numerous players absent, Hernandez still led Argentina to a silver medal at the FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas.

Argentina have called a press conference for 5pm local time on Friday when they are expected to confirm that Hernandez is staying on.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28753/arti.html

alermac
10-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Hernández won't be the only one to stay: Julio Lamas will be offered to remain as his main assistant, and the general speculation says he'll be the main candidate after 2010. The other assistants will still be Gonzalo García and Guillermo Narvarte.

rikhardur
10-25-2008, 02:31 PM
It's good to know Hernández decided to stay, he's been doing an excellent job and besides the players like him, that's even better.

rikhardur
10-27-2008, 03:34 PM
ARG – Hernandez retains Argentina reins with "joy, pride and gratitude"

BUENOS AIRES (2010 FIBA World Championship) – Argentina have confirmed that Sergio Hernandez will lead the team through the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

Hernandez, who coached the Albiceleste to the bronze medal at the Beijing Games, on Friday spoke of his decision to head the national side for two more years.

"I have tremendous joy, tremendous pride and much gratitude,” he said.

“Joy because it is the most that a coach can hope for, directing the national team of his own country. Pride because to wear the shirt of Argentina is something that is very strong, deep inside, even when one does not see it.

"The Argentina national team generates a lot of pride in all of us …

"That the Confederation again relies on my job after almost four years and several top tournaments is a pleasure for me and I have no more than words of thanks for them."

Hernandez, who also spoke warmly of the players that he had coached, will lead the team at the FIBA Americas Championship this summer when the Albiceleste attempt to reach the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28767/arti.html

paralias
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Hernandez is fantastic player