Clear All

• Good serious movies from your country

By "serious" I mean thought-provoking
    no science fiction/fantasy etc.
    no cartoon/opera etc.
    no comedy
    no sex/gore/horror etc.
    no weird themes please (psychopaths, incest etc.) so I can enjoy

Make your recommendations! Getting tired of Hollywood-type feel-good movies.
    Last edited by mvblair; 01-31-2008, 11:20 AM.
    aim low, score high

Some Chinese films I liked

1995 In Mongolian language
    Simple film, great music, flawless acting. A tale about love, betrayal, revenge, guilt and forgiveness.

1999 In Chinese
    A journey on the mountainside helps son to discover his father. Simple story, incredibly heartworming.

2004 In Chinese and Tibetan language
    A true story about a mountain patrol group against poachers. Determined idealists met harsh reality.
    aim low, score high

Comment

I like all films by João César Monteiro. In fact I think he's the only Portuguese director I admire (Manuel de Oliveira is a bit overrated imo). He also starred in his films.
      He's was the cursed mad genius par excellence and his films reflect that with a very refined sense of humour, nonsense and iconoclasm. He died a few years ago.

A famous short interview about one of his films (ironically entitled "Branca de Neve" (snowy white), since it's totally black with no picture): at 0:20 he explicitly says "fuck the backbiters" and later "fuck the audience".

Two scenes from "As Bodas de Deus" (God's feast) (Deus (God) here is a pun, it's the surname of the character portrayed by him)

Scenes of the beginning of "Recordações da Casa Amarela" (remembrances from the yellow house, in which "yellow house" hints to a psychiatric hospital)

Scenes from his last film "Vai e Vem" (coming and going)
      Last edited by rikhardur; 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

You should watch Lars von Trier's 'Idioterne'

It qualifies as it fulfills your criteria. Serious and non-Hollywood.

You won't regret it.

Originally posted by parso
        Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
        Originally posted by sseppel
        it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
        Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
        Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
          Lars von Trier's
          One of my favourite directors. I like the Dogma 95 thing very much.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Lithuanian cinematography is not advanced...

My favourite movies are Zero, Mattvaju and Mazgas (the nodus)
            They all take about 20 minutes and are about nothing. Just a little humour. A lot of russian sware words makes it more realistic.

Check up this scene from Mazgas.

Taksistas Šapauskas iš trumpametražinio filmo "Mazgas" (2005).Taxi driver from short movie "Nodus", 2005.Filmo dalis #1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb4...

Comment

Originally posted by Test
              Films like this explain the behavior of half of Lithuanians here who are nutcases.

Btw, why do they speak Russian in a Lithuanian film?

Comment

Films like this explain the behavior of half of Lithuanians here who are nutcases.

Btw, why do they speak Russian in a Lithuanian film?
                Cuz liths are simply too naive to invent their own swear words and had to borrow Russian ones for their everyday use. Ach, those corruptive Russians...

And since when Denmark is your native country Ark? I thought you were Finnish...
                The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
                  Ach, those corruptive Russians...
                  Of course...

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
                  And since when Denmark is your native country Ark? I thought you were Finnish...
                  Shut up you Bulgarian with a FYROM passport compatriot of Massey.

Comment

Originally posted by Test
                    Lithuanian cinematography is not advanced...

My favourite movies are Zero, Mattvaju and Mazgas (the nodus)
                    They all take about 20 minutes and are about nothing. Just a little humour. A lot of russian sware words makes it more realistic.

Check up this scene from Mazgas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1Fha-1eH8
                    well, you are a LTU version of Philip (or could you be worse? )

I mean, the above thoughts are ridiculous. Lithuanian cinema was very strong in the context of the USSR cinema. Our movies were thought provoking, inovative and different. Our actors were among the USSR's elite.

now regarding our independence period cinema.. well, obviously as the country was builind a new economy (and state, for that matter) cinema (as any other field of arts) was not the most wealthy area. The same goes for every post-Soviet country. however, we still produced good stuff (e.g. my top-5 favourite movie in all languages "The collar of wolf's teeth" by Puipa (direct translation, probably wrong)). I can safely say I'm proud of our cinematography, although it certainly needs more funding and it certainly still is way to passive. On the other hand, the Lithuanian Film Studios are rather active in the international market of foreign movie production (you can find the list of (foreign) movies shot in Lithuania and sorted by the year here http://www.lfs.lt/en/disp.php/en_pro...rod?page=2007).

You can find info about our full-feature films here http://www.lfc.lt/en/

now regarding short movies Test mentioned.. we have an annual film festival called AXX, which is a part of EuroAXX festival. Festival conssits of three stages. at first movies of up to 5 minutes are considered. Winners go on to the second stage and are given time to prepare 20 minutes versions. Two best efforts are sellected for the third stage, where authors present 45 minutes versions of their films. The winner is given money to create a full-feature film. Each festival has a subject that all participants must use in their movies.
                    the concept of the movie "Zero" won this festival in 2006 I think and therefore a full feature film was shot (certainly not 20, but rather 90 minutes long). It's a rather heavy, dearing and thought provoking film, which is certainly not "about nothing" as that **** Test put it .
                    AXX often releases the compilations of short movies from the various stages of the festivals. BTW, the Test's sellection of the favourite ones shows his level better than anyhting I could write. And the fact he did not understand the idea behind them makes that even worse

btw, Russian (or Mongol) curses are used all over the post-Soviet zone, so give us a break. Besides, it's considered extremely rude, nowhere near as accepted as the "fu*k" language in English speaking countries. I never use Russian curses, I find Lithuanian ones better by far but if you want to show the life of some street scumbags in the movie and you're dearing enough (the age rating will instantly rise to the max), then that's how you have to make them talk, I'm afraid.
                    stop russia

Comment

Seriously now sinnoball, if you want SERIOUS films here are some Greek ones... they are so serious you will be left speechless.

The Weeping Meadow

Eternity and a Day

The Suspended Step of the Stork

Comment

Hi Guys, been away for a while, been busy with basketball and a small case of getting married this summer...anyways,,

Trainspotting and Acid House where great for me..

Braveheart was fantastic and i could still watch it again, although one or two nonsense happened in the movie, like William Wallace shagging the French princess who in actual fact was not born yet, or maybe Wallace had some kind of super dick or something..

Comment

Originally posted by HIGHLANDER
                          Hi Guys, been away for a while, been busy with basketball and a small case of getting married this summer...anyways,,
                          Nice to see you again around here you crazy Scotsman
                          So, you're getting married, congrats!
                          I watched Trainspotting already a couple of times, it's indeed a great film, although without subtitles I wouldn't grasp a thing
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Seriously now sinnoball, if you want SERIOUS films here are some Greek ones... they are so serious you will be left speechless.
                            Found them in public library, placed a hold, will watch them probably next few weeks
                            Title: The weeping meadow [videorecording] / New Yorker Films presents a Theo Angelopoulous, Greek Film Centre, Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation ERT S.A., Attica Art Productions, BAC Films S.A., Intermedias S.A., Arte France ; produced with the participation of Canal+ (Paris), Classic SRL, Istituto Luce SpA, RAI Cinema (Rome), Network Movie Reinhold Elschot Peter Nadermann, ZDF/Arte Meinolf Zurhorst ; and with the support of the Eurimages Fund of the Council of Europe ; a film by Theo Angelopoulos ; producer, Phoebe Economopoulos ; screenplay, Theo Angelopoulos with Tonino Guerra, Petros Markaris & Giorgio Silvagni ; directed by Theo Angelopoulos.
                            Mia aiōniotēta kai mia mera [videorecording] = Eternity and a day / Theodoros Angelopoulos, Eric Heumann, Giorgio Silvagni, Amedeo Pagani, kai to Hellēniko Kentro Kinēmatographou [present] ; T. Angelopoulos EKK ... [et al.] ; script, Theo Angelopoulos, Tonino Guerra, Petros Markaris, Giorgio Silvagni ; director, Theo Angelopoulos.
                            The Suspended Step of the Stork = cannot find :S
                            aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                              Nice to see you again around here you crazy Scotsman
                              So, you're getting married, congrats!
                              I watched Trainspotting already a couple of times, it's indeed a great film, although without subtitles I wouldn't grasp a thing

Cheers for congrats...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information