JJ Barea Emerges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ Barea Emerges

Second year guard Jose Juan Barea may prevent the Mavericks from getting Jason Kidd, not because of his contract, but because of his talent. Now that Jason Terry is down, Barea may finally get a chance to show his metal.

More Minutes, Responsibility for Barea -- January 29, 2008, By EDDIE SEFKO, The Dallas Morning News

As what often happens after a mental foul-up, J.J. Barea took some needling after he launched what passed for a desperation 3-point heave against Memphis on Monday, when there was still plenty of time to get a legitimate shot.

His coach couldn't help but bring it up in a postgame interview.

"He needs to learn not to shoot half-court shots with seven seconds on the shot clock," Avery Johnson said, barely able to suppress a grin.

That it happened in a blowout victory meant everybody could laugh about it. But it was one of those things that reminds everybody that Barea is a young player who will make mistakes.

"I should have looked up at the clock," he said of his unanswered prayer. "I could have driven. I had lots of time."

He just got confused. It happens.

But doing so against the woeful Grizzlies is one thing.

Starting Thursday, the stakes for Barea and the Dallas Mavericks rise significantly. They play the Eastern Conference's three divisional leaders in a row on the road, starting with Boston, which owns the NBA's best record.

It also will be a homecoming of sorts for Barea, the Puerto Rican who went to college at Northeastern in Boston.

These are intriguing times for the backup point guard, who is generously listed at 6-foot. With Devin Harris on the shelf, Jason Terry is the starter at the point. Barea is the backup, and the Mavericks are eager to give him a chance to keep the job, which is why at this point they don't expect to be players in the Jason Kidd sweepstakes, in spite of rumors sweeping across the NBA.

Unless New Jersey plans on a fire sale of Kidd – unlikely given Nets president Rod Thorn's reputation as one of the league's saltiest personnel bosses – the price for Kidd will be prohibitive.

Plus, the thought of paying Kidd's $21 million salary next season, in addition to another $21 million in luxury tax to the league, is not palatable, even for an aggressive owner like Mark Cuban.

For now, a couple more weeks of Barea getting 15 to 20 minutes per game is the plan.

"He's a confident guy," Dirk Nowitzki said. "He's played internationally for his country for a lot of years, and he knows how to handle big games. He's actually a great finisher in the lane for as little as he is."

And Barea is not afraid to launch his shot, the gaffe in Memphis notwithstanding. He had nine points against the Grizzlies, and he's hit 11 of 27 3-pointer attempts this season (40.7 percent).

He's also been getting hands-on mentoring from Johnson during practice sessions.

"The chances that I got lately have helped me out," Barea said. "I understand Coach a little more. He's helped me out big-time. He knows what I do best, and he helps me out calling the right plays. So I just try to get better, do what he wants me to do and keep it simple.

"When I come in, I just got to keep running the team, not turn the ball over and play good defense."

"I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Barea is a little beast.
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Well im really glad for him ,he's a player that with minutes, he could become somebody important in the league.

Too bad for the ACB though, cause we wont see him playing here
      I KISS BASKET

Comment

Originally posted by Neozyrus
        Well im really glad for him ,he's a player that with minutes, he could become somebody important in the league.
        Yeah, I like him too. He was great in college and he'll be a solid NBA player. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star, but he will be one of those guys who stays in the league for a while as a reliable back-up. He's had some great games already, including some 25 point games.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

I just wrote a frontpage piece about the tiny guard from PR

Stuart
          http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
          http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
          http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart
            I just wrote a frontpage piece about the tiny guard from PR

Stuart
            Great front page stuart, last night 21 points and 5 asissts from Barea.
            Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
            16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
            Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
            8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Barea had another fantastic game tonight against the Chicago Bulls. The Mavs won the game in overtime by one point thanks to a great game by Dirk (44 points) and Barea (20 points, 6 assists in 35 minutes). It was his third 20+ game of the season.

Jason Terry apparently broke his hand during the game. Terry is a good player, so it's bad for the Mavs. Barea will probably play more and more minutes now, so he's got to step up his game until Terry gets back.

Comment

Barea had a career-high 26 points, going 5-8 from three point land, and grabbing 4 rebounds and 5 assists in 23 minutes. Brilliant game for Barea, but the Mavs lost to Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                  Barea had a career-high 26 points, going 5-8 from three point land, and grabbing 4 rebounds and 5 assists in 23 minutes. Brilliant game for Barea, but the Mavs lost to Houston.
                  He was the reason the Mavs did not lose by more, he was simply unstoppable and dragged the team for most of the game.
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                    He was the reason the Mavs did not lose by more, he was simply unstoppable and dragged the team for most of the game.
                    I wish I'd seen the game. I always like a Houston-Dallas match-up.

This might be blasphemous for NBA fans, but I think Barea should be playing more. Kidd is past his prime and doesn't seem to help the offense a whole lot. I dunno'...I mean, there's a place for Kidd and Barea.

Comment

HYPE! HYPE!!

Barea is a really undersized 2 guard
                      sigpic

Comment

Mavericks waste J.J. Barea's career-high 26 points as Houston defeats Dallas 93-86 Barea played well up until the last couple minutes when he missed a three and turned the ball over on the fast break. Otherwise, he was spectacular. One of his weaknesses is that he tends to overdribble, but that strategy worked yesterday, along with pick and rolls with Brandon Bass.

Stuart
                        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

It's true that his game really is a 2-guard, but his lack of size means he will play point guard unless he plays with Jason Kidd who can guard the oponent's 2-guard and run the point on offense. Clearly that combo has been working for Dallas instead of the other stiffs they got (Wright, Green etc.). When Jason Terry played together with JJ (before he was hurt) they sacraficed defense even more but they liked having Barea on the floor because he can penetrate at will and get his shot up.

He's fearless, as evidenced by his willingness to try to lay the ball up over Yao in that game with Houston. Of course Yao blocked it without jumping, or without reaching too high, but you have to admire his courage.

Comment

Barea shot 7-14, scoring 16 points, 4 assists, 4 turnovers, and 3 rebounds in a big victory of the Phoenix Suns. Barea started the game and played 34 minutes.

Because Phoenix and Dallas are fighting for the 8th and final Play-Off spot in the West, Barea's game really stunted Phoenix's hopes. Phoenix is now 5 full games behind Dallas.

The Mago de Mayaguez is averaging 7.3 points, 3.1 assists, and 2.1 rebounds this season. In games that he starts, he is averaging 14.7 points, 5.1 assists, and 2.9 rebounds.

Comment

JJ Barea made his Play-Off debut today. 13 points, 3 assists in a Dallas victory over San Antonio!

Dirk was the game, but the Dallas bench certainly helped. For the 26 minutes that Barea played, he controlled and distributed the ball. Very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information