Tune-up, friendly matches await RP cage team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune-up, friendly matches await RP cage team

WHILE waiting for the International Basketball Federation, or FIBA, to lift the suspension of the Philippines in international competitions, cage officials will be very busy maintaining the sharp edge of the national team, with a view toward competing in the Asian Games in December.

Pilipinas Basketball lead convenor Noli Eala the other day said two Asian club tournaments, friendly matches and tune-ups are scheduled for the national team being handled by coach Chot Reyes.

Eala said a young RP team has been formed for the Jones Cup set July 8-16 in Taiwan, where the Nationals will be aiming to improve on their third place finish last year behind the United States and the host national team.

Named to the team are top amateur point guard and leading PBA draft prospect Lewis Alfred Tenorio and UAAP Most Valuable Player Arwind Santos, along with Air21 stars Ranidel de Ocampo and slam dunk champion Nino Canaleta. They will join regulars Jimmy Alapag, Denok Miranda, Renren Ritualo, Yancy de Ocampo, Asi Taulava, Rafi Reavis and Billy Mamaril.

The 12th slot in the Jones Cup lineup could be reserved for either James Yap or Willie Miller. Eala said Joe Devance, Rob Reyes and Mark Caguioa were also being considered.

Before the Jones Cup, the Nationals take on American team Athletes in Actions that is made up of seasoned US NCAA and NBA free agents on July 3.

After that, the Philippines will meet Chinese Taipei in a friendly match tentatively scheduled at the end of July before taking on the Lebanon national team on Aug. 11.

The Lebanese will meet the Nationals before they fly to Saitama, Japan, to campaign in the World Basketball Championships on Aug. 19 to Sept. 3. During the World tourney, the FIBA Central Board will meet to discuss, among others, the resolution filed by FIBA-Asia seeking the lifting of the suspension slapped on the Philippines last year.

Qatar has also invited the Philippines to play in a four-nation tournament that includes the host team, Lithuania and Qatar on Aug. 1-6.

Reyes’ team will be in Brunei along with Sta. Lucia Realty on Aug. 19-27 to defend its title in the Sultan’s Cup.

-looks like a very busy year for rp team... great that not minding the suspension, they are still planning on playing in as many tournaments as possible... im sure our team will just get better and better... and also im glad that ranidel de ocampo was given a slot by chot reyes coz watching him play in air21, he really improves a lot and he really deserves a slot in the team... boy, he almost knock out my ginebra in the wildcard with his 3pt shots... and hopefully mark caguioa will start attending the practice of the NT, coz he's now one of the best players in the league right now... i can't count how many games he scored 30+pts and 40+pts in this season. we badly need him... gudluck to our team and hopefully fiba will appreciate what we are doing and lift the suspension... rp team all the way!

Originally posted by jrb0yd
    before taking on the Lebanon national team on Aug. 11.

The Lebanese will meet the Nationals before they fly to Saitama, Japan, to campaign in the World Basketball Championships on Aug. 19 to Sept. 3.

Qatar has also invited the Philippines to play in a four-nation tournament that includes the host team, Lithuania and Qatar on Aug. 1-6.

Definitely looking forward to see how RP NT goes against these Arabic NTs (Lebanon & Qatar).
    Cheers.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Comment

oh too bad, taulava,ritualo and alapag would not be able to play in jones cup since they will be in states for the much needed training of their ballclub, talk n text...

Comment

re:tune up games of the rp nationals

hey guyz! glad that our rp team has a tune up games.that's very good training for them.if i may ask,will these tune up games be shown live on tv?or if not,when will it be telecast?

re jones cup also,what channel on cable i can watch it?will it be shown live also...before jones cup was being presented by ESPN...how abt this one?anyone knows?

re global hoops summit: talk n talk will be going to play,what team are they going to play with and where can i watch it....

well, just hoping all these upcoming games of our rp team will be shown to the public...wanna see the improvement.thanks

Comment

hey there dude!

if abc 5 will cover these games, it's likely that it will be on a very delayed telecast like what happened last year when they showed jones cup and brunei cup weeks after each tournaments ended... hopefully jones cup would be telecast in espn so that it would be "live"... btw, our team will play the US team this monday... hopefully it would be telecast on tv...

Comment

i see on the Solar Sports the schedule this july. they will televised the games on the jones cup.

Comment

yeah thanks man... i just saw the sked of solar sports...but the coverage will start on july11(not july8) up2 july 20... here's the sked http://www.solar-entertainment.com/r...ds/ss_july.pdf
              Last edited by jrb0yd; 07-08-2006, 03:19 PM.

Comment

i wonder who won between the usa college selection against rp team? any news... i believe that was july 3. right after pacmans fight...

and i wonder what will rp teams lineup be?? we'll be small w/o asi ans less quicker w/o jimmy
                You've got to have it to win it

Comment

Originally posted by bognut
                  i wonder who won between the usa college selection against rp team? any news... i believe that was july 3. right after pacmans fight...

and i wonder what will rp teams lineup be?? we'll be small w/o asi ans less quicker w/o jimmy

unfortunately our team, which was made up of aspirants lost 73-68 here's the news....

‘Aspirants’ face tough odds in Jones Cup
                  By Joaquin Henson
                  The Philippine Star 07/07/2006

National basketball coach Chot Reyes said yesterday the "aspirants pool" will represent the country in the souped-up, nine-day Jones Cup where the competition is expected to be a killer.

Reyes, assistant coaches Binky Favis and Aboy Castro and the nucleus of the team leave this afternoon for Taipei where the annual tournament starts tomorrow with the Philippines playing Qatar in the stellar attraction of the opening program.

Reyes said organizers advanced the staging of the Jones Cup from late to early this month and the conflict with the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) playoff schedule limited the choice of players for the squad.

But Reyes said it’s a timely opportunity to test the mettle of the aspirants against tough opposition.

"They’re bringing back the prestige of the Jones Cup by inviting top-quality teams," said Reyes. "We’re caught in a situation where we’re not able to send our best players but playing in the tournament is an investment for the future. We’re playing the hand that’s been dealt to us and we’re out to play our best despite the odds."

Reyes said the Jones Cup cast is made up of a US collegiate selection, a Japan Basketball League All-Star squad with imports, the Australian club Perth Wildcats, the Philippines and national teams from Qatar, Chinese-Taipei, Kazakhstan and Korea.

Reyes is taking 15 players to Taipei. Tournament rules allow each team to choose 12 players from a 15-man lineup 30 minutes before a game.

Four amateurs–L. A. Tenorio, Arwind Santos, Joseph Yeo and Abby Santos–were recruited as aspirants to gain experience as national cagers. The pros in the mix are Ali Peek, John Arigo and Denok Miranda of Coca-Cola, Yancy and Ranidel de Ocampo, Nino Canaleta and Ronald Tubid of Air21, Dondon Hontiveros of San Miguel Beer and Sonny Thoss and Mike Cortez of Alaska. A slot was being reserved for either Alaska’s Nic Belasco or San Miguel Beer’s Dorian Peña at presstime.

Asi Taulava, Jimmy Alapag and RenRen Ritualo begged off from the trip because they’re playing for Talk ‘N’ Text at the Global Hoops Summit in Las Vegas on July 16-22. Willie Miller, Tony de la Cruz, Mark Caguioa and Eric Menk also declined invitations. Danny Seigle and Jay-Jay Helterbrand are nursing injuries. Players from Purefoods and Red Bull could not be tapped because of the ongoing PBA Finals.

Fil-Am amateur stars Joe Devance, Kelly Williams and Robbi Reyes are in the US visiting families after playing in the Philippine Basketball League and asked to be excused from the Taipei trip.

Reyes said the team practiced three days last week and every day starting this week. Last Monday, the "aspirants" lost a 73-68 decision to a visiting Athletes-In-Action squad from the US in a friendly at the Ynares Center. Ranidel de Ocampo scored 15 points and Canaleta chipped in 12 for the locals.

"We’ve got an exciting, young team," said Reyes. "We haven’t had enough time to play together but we’re getting there. Our national program is built on three levels — juniors, aspirants and seniors. Playing the aspirants in the Jones Cup is part of our preparation for the future. This is value for the future in case we’re allowed to play in the Asian Games this year. And since Kazakhstan, Chinese-Taipei, Korea and Qatar are playing in the Jones Cup, it’s also a scouting mission for us."

Favis said because of offseason commitments, it’s been a guessing game as to which players will show up for practice.

"We’ve had to teach the young guys our system so it’s like starting from the top," he said. "Without someone like Miller, we don’t have too many players who can break down the defense. We lack balance because we’re not deep in some positions. But it’s a challenge we don’t mind taking because this is for the future."

Hontiveros, Cortez and Thoss are arriving in Taipei on their own because of previous commitments in Manila. Hontiveros is flying in Sunday while Cortez and Thoss are leaving Monday. They will miss the Philippines’ games against Qatar tomorrow and Chinese-Taipei on Sunday.

PBA commissioner Noli Eala said the team’s recent game against Athletes-In-Action was an eye-opener.

"Ranidel was a revelation, playing like a superstar," said Eala. "L. A. held his own against bigger guards. The team lacked time to jell and because the players just started training, they lost steam at the end of every quarter. But it was a good effort and the team showed a lot of promise."

Eala said Athletes-In-Action’s 6-5 guard Gabe Norwood of George Mason University has Filipino roots and would be a valuable addition to the national team in the future. Reyes said Norwood’s grandmother is from Pangasinan.

Comment

Yeah your right our national team had been busy before the jones cup but i'm very disappionted that we are now fielding an inferior team compared before, the summer pro league in the U.S. has rob us of the services of taulava,ritualo and alapag. That's a tremendous fire power gone. The on-going PBA finals has also rob us of other players who can really make the difference. I tell you, we will not make it to the top 3.

Comment

Hi,

While most of our top players are not available I would consider this a good thing. Since the Jones Cup does not have much weight as an international tournament, this would then be a perfect time for the national training pool to give the younger players more experience. This would be very beneficial to the growth basketball in our country. A tournament where it would be very important to send our A Team would be FIBA-ASIA (ABC), Stankovic Cup, maybe even the Asian Games. Also, I think it is a good thing that Asi, Renren, Jimmy are participating in the Global Hoops Summit. This would make them used to playing against bigger and more athletic players.

-good day!-

Comment

gudday!
                        it looks like that the absence of our key players in jones cup are paying off... we just lost to qatar by 5 pts and to taiwan also by 5pts and also if we can remember we also lost to aia by also 5pts, but i guess its not bad at all considering that our team is only an aspirant squad... but hopefully we'll be able to be in the top4 so that we can still have a shot at the championship... this taiwan team will be easily beaten by our NT, but i agree with what chot reyes said about this team that he brought. he said that this aspirant squad is an investment to the future and playing in this tournament is an investment itself...

Comment

Originally posted by jrb0yd
                          we just lost to qatar by 5 pts and to taiwan also by 5pts and also if we can remember we also lost to aia by also 5pts, but i guess its not bad at all considering that our team is only an aspirant squad... but hopefully we'll be able to be in the top4 so that we can still have a shot at the championship... this taiwan team will be easily beaten by our NT, but i agree with what chot reyes said about this team that he brought. he said that this aspirant squad is an investment to the future and playing in this tournament is an investment itself...
                          Hence, could you imagine Philippines at full strength... damn now THAT'S GOLD!!! I can't wait. Finally Philippines will be able to demonstrate how strong the PBA is.
                          "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
                          -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia
                            Hence, could you imagine Philippines at full strength... damn now THAT'S GOLD!!! I can't wait. Finally Philippines will be able to demonstrate how strong the PBA is.
                            Only Team Captain Dondon Hontiveros and 2nd string PGs Mike Cortez and Denok Miranda played in last year's Jones Cup...the aspirants team or Under-25 as Coach Chot once called them, was formed just a month ago. the "over-aged" (over 25 y.o.) players are Yancy, Arigo, Peek and Hontiveros.

It is nice to see young players like Ranidel D.O., KG Caneleta and amatuers LA, Arwind and the like get some exposures and have a feel of the international tournament. Im sure this investment will bear fruit in the futire.
                            <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia
                              Only Team Captain Dondon Hontiveros and 2nd string PGs Mike Cortez and Denok Miranda played in last year's Jones Cup...the aspirants team or Under-25 as Coach Chot once called them, was formed just a month ago. the "over-aged" (over 25 y.o.) players are Yancy, Arigo, Peek and Hontiveros.

It is nice to see young players like Ranidel D.O., KG Caneleta and amatuers LA, Arwind and the like get some exposures and have a feel of the international tournament. Im sure this investment will bear fruit in the futire.
                              <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information