PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Exhibition Games

JGX
07-10-2021, 02:02 AM
The US games are on NBC Sports in the US, except for the USA-Nigeria women's game which is on Olympic Channel. The non-US games are on NBA TV.

July 10, 5 p.m. PDT USA Men vs Nigeria
July 10, 8:30 p.m. PDT Argentina Men vs Australia

July 12, 1:30 p.m. PDT Argentina Men vs Nigeria
July 12, 5 p.m. PDT USA Men vs Australia

July 13, 3 p.m. PDT USA Men vs Argentina
July 13, 6:30 p.m. PDT Australia Men vs Nigeria

July 16, 11:30 a.m. PDT USA Women vs Australia
July 16, 3:00 p.m. PDT USA Men vs Australia

July 18, 2:30 p.m. PDT USA Women vs Nigeria
July 18, 6:00 p.m. PDT USA Men vs Spain

Dtown
07-10-2021, 03:45 PM
thanks for this, had no idea there was a game today!

So weird while the NBA Finals are still on.

JGX
07-11-2021, 01:30 AM
US trailing Nigeria 66-64 after the third quarter, bringing back memories of 2004

Fran said 49 seconds into the game that it wouldn't take long for the US to became a strong defensive team...not convinced so far.

Dtown
07-11-2021, 02:05 AM
Shocking but congrats to Nigeria! Hard to beat a team that hits 20+ threes in a 40 minute game. USA is probably hoping for a Suns sweep to get reinforcements.

JGX
07-11-2021, 02:10 AM
Nigeria wins 90-87. Not quite Italy 2004 levels of embarrassing, but really bad. Mike Brown had his team ready to play.

I think the US just needs Durant to play like Durant and other guys can try to find roles around him.

Dtown
07-11-2021, 02:12 AM
Nigeria wins 90-87. Not quite Italy 2004 levels of embarrassing, but really bad. Mike Brown had his team ready to play.

I think the US just needs Durant to play like Durant and other guys can try to find roles around him.

You could kind of see Durant recognize this in the last couple minutes, will be interesting the next couple games to see his mentality.

reamily
07-11-2021, 02:21 AM
This isnt surprising in basketball sense guys who is athletically can keep in step with is and made 20 3s in a spread out system.. if us dont think egos( analytically) they think this as a good game

reptilia
07-11-2021, 02:47 AM
So what are the rules for Nigerian players in regards to eligibility?
Most are USA born, they have Nigerian parents but not many of these guys obtained Nigerian passports before 16y.o.

This could open the floodgates and FIBA will be come Fifa with the naturalised rules.

Federoy
07-11-2021, 02:49 AM
Thankfully, Covid-19 has taught me that it's okay to let things go. The US losing is not nearly was catastrophic for me as it use to be. As far as the game, it's more of the same structural problems with Team USA in terms of NBA basketball hurting our national team. The NBA has deviated so far away from system basketball that when our players are presented with a challenge on the international level, they revert to habits that are natural to the NBA game but are antithetical to FIBA basketball. But more concerning was the defense...it wasn't as if Nigeria was slicing this team up with backdoor cuts and interior passing. They were simply beating the US off the dribble or exploiting wide open outside shots; that's both an issue of effort (which can be fixed) and poor execution (which might not be fixable in the amount of time needed). Clearly this needs to be cleaned up before the real competition begins.

Lastly, Pop (and I said this back in 2019) isn't the right fit for this program. He's a HOF coach and understands the international game as good as anyone, but I almost get the sense that he's trying to turn a mustang into a show horse. It's almost hard to believe, but since he took the helm the US has not gone over 100 points...NOT ONCE. What made Coach K's teams successful is that he got out of the way on the offensive side (maybe threw in a few wrinkles here and there) and concentrated on defensive principles. I'm beginning to wonder if Pop is trying to introduce too many concepts at once and it's backfiring. I don't know. Just speculating, but something is amiss about Pop's tenure as the head coach.

JGX
07-11-2021, 03:39 AM
It's almost hard to believe, but since he took the helm the US has not gone over 100 points...NOT ONCE. What made Coach K's teams successful is that he got out of the way on the offensive side (maybe threw in a few wrinkles here and there)

Yup. K had more talent at his disposal than Pop has had, but he still deserves a lot of credit for his teams' offensive production. Not that easy to get top players to play together in a way that doesn't turn them into ordinary players.

DunkOnYa
07-11-2021, 03:45 AM
Wait a minute... Are they playing 2 international games in every game day? I'm understanding the schedule correctly?

JGX
07-11-2021, 04:21 AM
Wait a minute... Are they playing 2 international games in every game day? I'm understanding the schedule correctly?

Yeah, two games per day. Vildoza just hit a halfcourt shot to give Argentina a 47-42 lead over Australia at halftime.

JGX
07-11-2021, 05:30 AM
Mills hits a three at the buzzer to give Australia an 87-84 win over Argentina. Australia was down 11 in the third and up 11 in the fourth before Argentina rallied.

Is there any higher-percentage shot in international basketball then Luis Scola from anywhere in the final minute of a close game?

Kings
07-11-2021, 05:41 AM
Day 1

Nigeria 90 USA 87
Australia 87 Argentina 84

JGX
07-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Nigeria trouncing Argentina. One game from the exhibition gold medal.

DunkOnYa
07-12-2021, 10:47 PM
Nigeria just went dream team on Argentina... I pity tha fools who will face them in group play.

reamily
07-13-2021, 01:48 AM
Feels like bad that usa got an automatic olympic ticket in this

JGX
07-13-2021, 01:58 AM
The US team read my post! 36 threes out of 65 attempts tonight. Unfortunately it didn't make much difference, the US starting unit showed some good things in the first half offensively but Australia was able to shut down Lillard in the second half and almost everything Durant got was contested. Tatum and Beal look like they haven't shot a basketball since their teams were eliminated from the playoffs. They are missing someone who can push the pace, penetrate, and set up drive-and-kick opportunities, maybe Holiday will help when he arrives. Better find a way to start scoring 103 points because they are not getting 20 points better defensively.

Feels like 90% of the time the US tried to hit someone cutting to the basket it led to a turnover.

Thybulle is a nice addition for Australia.

On the positive side, it was nice to have announcers who actually talked about the game instead of Fran giving everyone's life story and dropping the names of every basketball person he knows.

Kings
07-13-2021, 02:02 AM
Day 2

Nigeria 94 Argentina 71
Australia 91 USA 83

JGX
07-14-2021, 12:23 AM
Much-needed strong performance by the US today, especially the KD/Lillard/Beal/Lavine/Adebayo starting unit. Bench not so great (except for the "walk-ons" at the end!) but at least we can expect improvement there if the rest of the team ever arrives. Tatum DNP with knee soreness.

Two poor showings in a row by Argentina, but the same group was defensively solid at the last WC. Scola with 16 points in 19 minutes today.

Kings
07-14-2021, 03:39 AM
Day 3

USA 108 Argentina 80
Australia 108 Nigeria 69

Standings

Australia 3W-0L
Nigeria 2W-1L
USA 1W-2L
Argentina 0W-3L

juli_rc
07-14-2021, 02:24 PM
Much-needed strong performance by the US today, especially the KD/Lillard/Beal/Lavine/Adebayo starting unit. Bench not so great (except for the "walk-ons" at the end!) but at least we can expect improvement there if the rest of the team ever arrives. Tatum DNP with knee soreness.

Two poor showings in a row by Argentina, but the same group was defensively solid at the last WC. Scola with 16 points in 19 minutes today.

Just two games I remember...

Back in 2019, Argentina loses by 20 point against France in a friendly match.
In semifinals of the WC Argentina won by 15 points.

Back in 2008 Argentina loses by 40 point against Lithuania in a friendly.
In the bronce medal game, Argentina won by 15 points.

Friendly games are friendly games, nothing more. Argentina played too much one-to-one in the las vegas tournament. Lack of screens and systems.

Argentina can't play one-to-one, don't have the talent to do so.

Darrell Armstrong
07-14-2021, 02:37 PM
Friendly games are friendly games, nothing more. Argentina played too much one-to-one in the las vegas tournament. Lack of screens and systems.

Argentina can't play one-to-one, don't have the talent to do so.

I don't know if it's just that. Facu, Gaby, and Nico look cooked. No inside players to speak of other than Scola, who was overwhelmed against Nigeria. Caffaro seems to be nursing an injury. I'm not sure if they're going to suddenly come back to form. The first game, against Slovenia, is the most important one of the first round. You can discount a loss against Spain, and Japan is just too weak to threat Argentina. But a loss against Slovenia may mean being out of the knockout round.

juli_rc
07-14-2021, 03:05 PM
Fans here (football/soccer fans), are little disappointment and worries with the intensity of the team. But real fans who knows Hernandez (head coach) preparation, are calm.

And the preparation with only 3 friendly is short (by Argentina standards).
Argentina is a quaterfinal team. No more.
Time will tell.

Darrell Armstrong
07-14-2021, 03:20 PM
Fans here (football/soccer fans), are little disappointment and worries with the intensity of the team. But real fans who knows Hernandez (head coach) preparation, are calm.

And the preparation with only 3 friendly is short (by Argentina standards).
Argentina is a quaterfinal team. No more.
Time will tell.

Well, you're selling yourself short, then. Right now I'm inclined to believe Australia, France, Spain, and USA will be the top seeds; and quite likely advance to semis. But just one upset and everything can change. And there's no tournament without its fair share of upsets.

juli_rc
07-15-2021, 07:27 PM
Well, you're selling yourself short, then. Right now I'm inclined to believe Australia, France, Spain, and USA will be the top seeds; and quite likely advance to semis. But just one upset and everything can change. And there's no tournament without its fair share of upsets.

Don't get me wrong... Argentina always always overachieved beyond expectations. In almost every tournament...

I think the winner of Argentina-Slovenia will complete the 4 four best teams for first round, avoiding USA, AUS, SPA and the loser of SLO-ARG in the quarterfinals.
And the loser of Argentina-Slovenia 50% chances to play USA and other 50% to play AUS.

It will a crucial macht for us.

JGX
07-16-2021, 05:31 AM
USA-Australia men's game tomorrow has been cancelled due to covid precautions. Women's game will still be played.
https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1415870233441562624

Darrell Armstrong
07-16-2021, 08:01 AM
Don't get me wrong... Argentina always always overachieved beyond expectations. In almost every tournament...

I think the winner of Argentina-Slovenia will complete the 4 four best teams for first round, avoiding USA, AUS, SPA and the loser of SLO-ARG in the quarterfinals.
And the loser of Argentina-Slovenia 50% chances to play USA and other 50% to play AUS.

It will a crucial macht for us.

I disagree. Quarterfinals matchups will be decided by all the games in every group, and that leaves a lot of room for surprises. Even if group C plays out as you predict (Spain - Argentina - Slovenia), a so-so game against Japan may leave Argentina with less points scored than, say, France in group A. And then you will be pitted against one of the group winners. Or one of the teams in group B could upset Australia, forcing a three-way tie which finishes with Australia advancing as a non-best 2nd.

It's so hard to predict the outcome, that it may be possible that group's C 3rd-place team advances and faces an easier opponent in quarterfinals than the group winner. I'm sure you remember Athens.

JGX
07-19-2021, 01:33 AM
can someone set a screen please

Darrell Armstrong
07-19-2021, 08:58 AM
This last exhibition game went exactly as expected. Spain dominated for a stretch of the game, then started doing what exhibition games are for: trying offensive and defensive plays, and moving the bench. Scariolo gave minutes to 13 players, even to those three who will not go to Tokio, and no one played much more than 20 minutes.

On the other hand, the americans really needed the moral boost of a win, and went all out on the third and early fourth quarter. Their rotation was playoff-tight, with 8 players logging most of the minutes; and their stars playing 30+. I was surprised McGee didn't even get garbage minutes. He's going to debut against France without taking part in a single game before.

madmax
07-19-2021, 09:30 AM
This last exhibition game went exactly as expected. Spain dominated for a stretch of the game, then started doing what exhibition games are for: trying offensive and defensive plays, and moving the bench. Scariolo gave minutes to 13 players, even to those three who will not go to Tokio, and no one played much more than 20 minutes.

On the other hand, the americans really needed the moral boost of a win, and went all out on the third and early fourth quarter. Their rotation was playoff-tight, with 8 players logging most of the minutes; and their stars playing 30+. I was surprised McGee didn't even get garbage minutes. He's going to debut against France without taking part in a single game before.

Muricans are simply desperate at this point...
Spain pretty much controlled the game when their starters were playing and looked much more solid in half-court setting (which is only logical I guess). I will consider it an upset if this US team even reaches the Olympic final imo

Darrell Armstrong
07-19-2021, 09:38 AM
Muricans are simply desperate at this point...
Spain pretty much controlled the game when their starters were playing and looked much more solid in half-court setting (which is only logical I guess). I will consider it an upset if this US team even reaches the Olympic final imo

I wouldn't say as much. USA is still the gold medal favourite. I mean, you put on the floor a team with Lillard, Durant, and three random HS kids and they still have a chance against anyone. It's simply this year they cannot cruise all the way up to their matchup with Spain, they will need heroics almost every game just to eke out a win. But they can provide those heroics and then some. They just have to care, like in this exhibition game.

Shawshank
07-19-2021, 10:54 AM
Usa played 8 men (Mcgee+3 players in nba finals was out).

Green+Adebayo experiment together was looking really good defensively.

K.Johnson is real suprise for this usa team i like his energy all over the place more than some J.Tatum missing every shot.

Spain is veteran smart team that knows well how to slow down game and do not let opponnent get in any rhythm.

Usa is improving,but its ridiculous to think that only 8 players was preparing together who goes to Tokyo.

4 players 33% of team is just joining them in Tokyo :) i dont think any team can do this shit and think it will work and there will be no problems with chemistry.

Lack of preparation can bite americans in ass in playoofs game versus real contender.

reamily
07-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Pace setter is wahf this us team needs.. they can do pace setting in defensive end also leading to fast breaks yup..more attempts more chance to get co fident or get hot after a cold spell..