PDA

View Full Version : USA NT 2021 Olympics

Pages : 1 [2]

Killer Bob
07-28-2021, 11:18 PM
They proved that in 2016 they didn’t need true playmaker in that sense. This team is similarly constructed when it comes to that position so I can’t use that as an excuse. And if you’re saying that Durant has somehow dramatically dropped in ability from 2016 you must not have watched his playoff series this year.

USA would have destroyed France, if he was playing like in playoffs.

Anyway, it's a bit late here, so it's all from me. My only wish is that Slovenia doesn't meet USA before final, because it's only team that we realistically cannot beat, even if Luka scores 60.

usagre
07-28-2021, 11:24 PM
USA would have destroyed France, if he was playing like in playoffs.

Anyway, it's a bit late here, so it's all from me. My only wish is that Slovenia doesn't meet USA before finals, because it's only team that we realistically cannot beat, even if Luka scores 60.

Good talking with you Bob. I am just trying to put across what we have become accustomed to as USA basketball fans for a 15 year period. Perfection. Players came and went but the end result was the same with only the coach as the constant. And to go from that to this so quickly is not acceptable.

usagre
07-31-2021, 01:33 PM
About damn time they start looking like a Coach K USA team.
Pressure defense, aggressive attacking offense with no overpassing which in turn results in 100+ points. Popovich is probably surprised or maybe even shocked by the margin of victory but that’s the problem.

neo
07-31-2021, 01:39 PM
too bad, there's a big probability they will meet spain or slovenia in the QF.

usagre
07-31-2021, 01:42 PM
too bad, there's a big probability they will meet spain or slovenia in the QF.

No they won’t. Impossible according to the rules.

Shawshank
07-31-2021, 01:49 PM
No they won’t. Impossible according to the rules.

Usa opponnets in 1/4 will be

Italy or Spa/Slo game looser no other possibilities left for team USA.

usagre
07-31-2021, 01:50 PM
Usa opponnets in 1/4 will be

Italy or Spa/Slo game looser no other possibilities left for team USA.

You’re not familiar with the rules either. USA can’t plain Spain or Slovenia in quarters.

Shawshank
07-31-2021, 01:52 PM
You’re not familiar with the rules either. USA can’t plain Spain or Slovenia in quarters.

why not?

Usa took 2nd place group so by rules they cant get 3rd place teams Argentina and Germany.

They cant get group winners.

Left only Italy and looser of Spa/Slo game who will take second place in group.

usagre
07-31-2021, 01:53 PM
why not?

My apologies it was I that misread the rules. You guys are right those 3 are only possibilities

JGX
07-31-2021, 01:55 PM
101 points in the last three quarters you love to see it. Durant played like Durant! Tatum made some shots! Big step up in competition going forward though. Czechs went as far as their limited talent could take them.

I am gonna disagree with the announcers and take the position that Javale McGee not getting into the game until there were four minutes left and a 30-point lead is a good indication that he will not be playing an important role in the knockout stages.

usagre
07-31-2021, 01:58 PM
Spain/Slovenia loser 50% shot at getting USA. And winner I think 100% against Germany.

Dtown
07-31-2021, 01:58 PM
Aside from a rough first quarter they did look good out there. If Durant takes control like he did this game going forward them winning Gold is definitely on the table.

Still despite looking much improved I'm still hoping we land with Italy in the knock out stage rather than the Spain/Slovenia loser.

usagre
07-31-2021, 02:02 PM
101 points in the last three quarters you love to see it. Durant played like Durant! Tatum made some shots! Big step up in competition going forward though. Czechs went as far as their limited talent could take them.

I am gonna disagree with the announcers and take the position that Javale McGee not getting into the game until there were four minutes left and a 30-point lead is a good indication that he will not be playing an important role in the knockout stages.

I agree with them. Barring severe foul trouble to Bam or Draymond he won’t be in the rotation. And saying the competition is about to go up a few notches is an understatement. And don’t forget the next win against a really quality opponent under Popovich in his two tournaments will be his first. I still have big doubts he can string 3 in a row.

usagre
07-31-2021, 02:06 PM
Still despite looking much improved I'm still hoping we land with Italy in the knock out stage rather than the Spain/Slovenia loser.

I disagree completely. That mentality is for teams trying to medal. It’s gold medal or bust so it shouldn’t matter.

usagre
07-31-2021, 02:12 PM
These games are way too short to incorporate too many guys. A 9 man rotation historically has been the way to go. And on this roster the top 9 and last 3 are crystal clear. Like I said I love how he has separated Tatum and Durant. Despite Booker’s struggles he belongs in the staring lineup as Levine is much better as an energy guy off the bench. Middleton seems to be the 9th man and his minutes will vary from game to game.

Dtown
07-31-2021, 02:27 PM
I disagree completely. That mentality is for teams trying to medal. It’s gold medal or bust so it shouldn’t matter.

When coach K was heading this team I would have the same mentality, but Pop hasn't installed any confidence in me. Not to disrespect Italy but I'd love one more ramp up game before facing the other medal contenders.

Who knows though, it might be better to get a team the US can't overlook first, just so there's no chance they come out flat.

Buzissa
07-31-2021, 02:31 PM
Things definitely looking up for the US. Maybe some overreaction after the loss against France, of course also because of the friendly games losses.

But if you look at that game against France, arguably the 2nd most talented team in these Olympics, the US were up most of the game (including +7 with 3' to go), even with Durant never getting into a rhythm because of foul trouble and 3 players that arrived in Tokyo a couple of days before. Players are still trying to find their roles within the team (except for Durant, we all know he is the man here) and things can only get better from here on out. I don't think Italy or Slovenia will be a problem, Spain would be a tougher matchup but still a surprise if the US loses.

Spain/Slovenia loser 50% shot at getting USA. And winner I think 100% against Germany.

Yes, exactly [edit: Nevermind, it's Germany or Italy]. Loving this format btw, 18 games instead of 30 to qualify the same 8 teams for the knockout stage. Also less opportunities to tank, even though we could be saying the opposite had the US not finish as the best 2nd placed team.

usagre
07-31-2021, 03:10 PM
Enormous pressure in next game considering USA has never lost in the quarterfinals which includes collegians dating back to 776 BC. Usa/NBA teams :

‘92 +38 Puerto Rico
‘96 +23 Brazil
‘00 +15 Russia
‘04 +8 Spain
‘08 +31 Australia
‘12 +33 Australia
‘16 +27 Argentina

usagre
07-31-2021, 03:34 PM
101-59 in last 3 quarters after bad start. Play offense like you’re supposed to and no team can keep up. Eventually they get demoralized trying.

usagre
08-01-2021, 03:42 PM
I will be rooting for the other 3 quarterfinal favorites to advance as well. Historically I have always rooted for the strongest possible opponents against the USA. I remember being disappointed in 1994 when Croatia lost in the semis and 2000 when Serbia lost to Lithuania in the quarters. Probably subconsciously because I didn’t really view these teams or any others over the years as threats. The only exception I must admit was in 2014 when I rooted against Spain and viewed them as a serious threat.

JGX
08-01-2021, 06:14 PM
Shit is about to get real. For some reason I am happier that we ended up with Spain than Slovenia, even though Spain has the big tournament experience, I'd rather play against old guys that we have beaten a bunch of times over the years. As always, if it's a 100-95 game we probably win, an 80-75 game we probably lose.

madmax
08-01-2021, 07:13 PM
this will be the game that will decide the tournament for muricans - if they somehow excape big experienced FIBA team like Spain, only France will be in their way of claiming gold. I don't think any team playing small ball can beat muricans at their own game, not even under FIBA rules, so Slovenia is already out of the question to beat them (as much as Luka's magic lifts them well above their ceiling). So yeah, do-or-die game for yanks and let's see what Pop is actually made of, coz I know Scariolo will be on his game and with a proper game plan to hit US where it hurts the most

ChuckDiesel2
08-02-2021, 05:07 PM
It will be an honor to deliver the death blow to this legendary group of Spaniards. Adiós Rudy, El Chacho, Llull y los hermanos Gasol. Ha sido un placer vencerlos una y otra vez al más alto nivel.

Dtown
08-02-2021, 08:18 PM
It will be an honor to deliver the death blow to this legendary group of Spaniards. Adiós Rudy, El Chacho, Llull y los hermanos Gasol. Ha sido un placer vencerlos una y otra vez al más alto nivel.

While it's certainly their last Olympics together, I think next years Eurobasket might be their last ride.

Buzissa
08-03-2021, 06:00 AM
Biggest disappointment of this team has been Lillard. Thought he was going to be no. 2 to Durant, possibly with an impact similar to Kyrie's in previous tournaments, but far from it. He is even missing wide open shots atm.

Buzissa
08-03-2021, 06:51 AM
Seems like Pop found his 9-man rotation and players now know where their shots will be coming from. Still they are having irregular performances from their scoring guard trio (LaVine, Lillard, Booker), Middleton has been terrible and don't see what he can bring to the table if he's not hitting his open shots (-14 in 17 minutes today).

The 3 key players on this team are Durant (for obvious reasons) and Holiday/Draymond-Adebayo as defensive anchors. Tatum is providing a spark off the bench, but playing off the ball doesn't really suit his offensive game.

Federoy
08-03-2021, 07:05 AM
Shit is about to get real. For some reason I am happier that we ended up with Spain than Slovenia, even though Spain has the big tournament experience, I'd rather play against old guys that we have beaten a bunch of times over the years. As always, if it's a 100-95 game we probably win, an 80-75 game we probably lose.

Good call. I knew if we pushed it to the 90s or 100s, It'd be checkmate. I think we actually played better in 2021 then we did in 2016...that game had no offensive flow and was marred by bad refereeing. It wasn't a good game to take in.

Shawshank
08-03-2021, 07:07 AM
Biggest disappointment of this team has been Lillard. Thought he was going to be no. 2 to Durant, possibly with an impact similar to Kyrie's in previous tournaments, but far from it. He is even missing wide open shots atm.

i agree i never thought Lillard is so bad in defence this Olympics shown it clearly.White europeran guards beating him 1 vs 1 for easy layups over and over again.

No i understand why Blazers with Lillard,Carmelo,Kanter types is the worst defence on good nba team.

If teams need bucket playing this usa team on usa switch defence : opponnets should attack Lillard. Other 8 usa players from main rotation is alot better in defence some of them elite defenders.

anon9000
08-03-2021, 08:21 AM
i agree i never thought Lillard is so bad in defence this Olympics shown it clearly.White europeran guards beating him 1 vs 1 for easy layups over and over again.

No i understand why Blazers with Lillard,Carmelo,Kanter types is the worst defence on good nba team.

If teams need bucket playing this usa team on usa switch defence : opponnets should attack Lillard. Other 8 usa players from main rotation is alot better in defence some of them elite defenders.

Lillard is the epitome of every casual fan's criticism for Curry. Unlike Curry, he never worked on his weakness. Just a good player on offense but nothing outside of that.

His defense has been matador for years now. If team USA had more talent in the wings for defenders and better rim protection, it wouldn't be as glaring.

Jon_Koncak
08-03-2021, 08:36 AM
As expected Durant alone is a 1000% upgrade over anyone in 2019 circus team.What wasn't expected was that Lillard would be so bad.Also i understand small ball is the name of the game in NBA in the last years but in FIBA you got to have some size,god damn it.Gasol brothers corpses are too washed up to punish USA inside but watching Hernagomez look like a mix of Chamberlain and Hakeem in the second quarter was no fun.The good news is that no team except France has the players to punish this lack of size.France remains the worst match up,every other team is beatable.

anon9000
08-03-2021, 08:42 AM
As expected Durant alone is a 1000% upgrade over anyone in 2019 circus team.What wasn't expected was that Lillard would be so bad.Also i understand small ball is the name of the game in NBA in the last years but in FIBA you got to have some size,god damn it.Gasol brothers corpses are too washed up to punish USA inside but watching Hernagomez look like a mix of Chamberlain and Hakeem in the second quarter was no fun.The good news is that no team except France has the players to punish this lack of size.France remains the worst match up,every other team is beatable.

The Aussies could be a spoiler, they are a younger version of the Spanish team.

Katastroika
08-03-2021, 08:53 AM
The Aussies could be a spoiler, they are a younger version of the Spanish team.

And less quality version by any means, too.

Dtown
08-03-2021, 09:45 AM
Glad I got up to watch it without spoilers. Great game, reminded me of some of our other battles with Spain, fitting if this is the last time.

reamily
08-03-2021, 03:38 PM
For USA to be beaten by Australia it must be a very disappointing to say the least. Well outside of Spain and France, going to the Finals is like not brraking a tradition of USA facing a former Yugoslav country in the Final..

usagre
08-03-2021, 04:34 PM
USA 11.5 point favorite va Australia. I would set it a little higher in the 14-15 range. Too much shooting for US and with bigs that are pass first players it’s just a matter of time for offense to get going. I think this game is a 20+ win. If Slovenia beats France and surprisingly they are a 2.5 pint favorite I can’t see them losing to a one man gang or honestly it even being that close. A potential French matchup I think is tough competitive game but considering the Durant foul trouble and collapse in the final 3 minute of the previous matchup I would still put the US as a solid 7-8 point favorite and expect them to win.

I expect a big game from Lillard against Australia and I think he will lead US in scoring.

ChuckDiesel2
08-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Jrue Holiday has been a complete game changer. So fortunate to have him in Tokyo

Killer Bob
08-03-2021, 04:54 PM
USA 11.5 point favorite va Australia. I would set it a little higher in the 14-15 range. Too much shooting for US and with bigs that are pass first players it’s just a matter of time for offense to get going. I think this game is a 20+ win. If Slovenia beats France and surprisingly they are a 2.5 pint favorite I can’t see them losing to a one man gang or honestly it even being that close. A potential French matchup I think is tough competitive game but considering the Durant foul trouble and collapse in the final 3 minute of the previous matchup I would still put the US as a solid 7-8 point favorite and expect them to win.

I expect a big game from Lillard against Australia and I think he will lead US in scoring.

You should look at some games in Mavs : Clippers series and you will understand that Slovenia might not be the favourite, but for sure has some chances in 1 game against USA.
Slovenia is Mavs with much better chemistry.

usagre
08-03-2021, 05:10 PM
You should look at some games in Mavs : Clippers series and you will understand that Slovenia might not be the favourite, but for sure has some chances in 1 game against USA.
Slovenia is Mavs with much better chemistry.

Like they say in boxing styles make fights and it’s just not a good matchup for Slovenia. If they try to run with the US it will get ugly. They need to play a perfect game to win and honestly in a potential matchup I don’t even know what that looks like.

Killer Bob
08-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Like they say in boxing styles make fights and it’s just not a good matchup for Slovenia. If they try to run with the US it will get ugly. They need to play a perfect game to win and honestly in a potential matchup I don’t even know what that looks like.

I hope USA, if they meet, will come in the game with the same approach. ;) Slovenia can score as easily as USA and Luka showed numerous times in NBA that he cannot be stopped, his teammates show tremendous fighting spirit too. Slovenia has beaten more or less everyone worth something in Europe in this 17:0 run, France included. Spain(2x), Serbia, Greece, Lithuania....

usagre
08-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Vince Carter and Fitzgerald have been awful doing the games. Fitzgerald was good in ‘12 Olympics but maybe because he was with Doug Collins. Mike Breen and Doug Collins 2000, 2004, 2008 were the gold standard. Incidentally it aggravates me to no end that we keep replaying and hearing about that meaningless Carter dunk over the French stiff in the 2000 preliminary round but never here about how Vince Carter hit the most pressurized clutch shot in the history of USA basketball. His shot against Lithuania with under a minute to go and the US trailing tops even Doug Collins 2 free throws in the controversial 1972 final against the Soviets. You just never hear about it.

ChuckDiesel2
08-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Vince Carter and Fitzgerald have been awful doing the games. Fitzgerald was good in ‘12 Olympics but maybe because he was with Doug Collins. Mike Breen and Doug Collins 2000, 2004, 2008 were the gold standard. Incidentally it aggravates me to no end that we keep replaying and hearing about that meaningless Carter dunk over the French stiff in the 2000 preliminary round but never here about how Vince Carter hit the most pressurized clutch shot in the history of USA basketball. His shot against Lithuania with under a minute to go and the US trailing tops even Doug Collins 2 free throws in the controversial 1972 final against the Soviets. You just never hear about it.

Agree. Was listening to Eric Collins (Horners play by play guy) call TBT games over the weekend and thinking he should’ve been in Fitzgerald’s spot. Vince Carter needs some espresso, Doug Collins was way better. Don’t get me started on the “Olympic channel” broadcasters for other games. Have enthusiasm of announcing retirement home bingo.

JGX
08-07-2021, 04:34 AM

I am shocked that Javale McGee was not a major part of our gameplan against Rudy Gobert.

Since this is the announcer thread, I'll say that Vince Carter got better throughout the tournament. During the first game, he almost seemed scared to open his mouth, but he got more comfortable and didn't say anything too annoying. Except for the McGee thing.

usagre
08-07-2021, 04:44 AM
I believe that there’s a pretty good shot that USA sends G league in next World Championships. Regardless you won’t get anywhere near an Olympic quality team and if it still consists of NBA players in my opinion it will make the ‘19 roster look like the Dream Team.

So here’s my very early look 3 years down the road at US 2024 Olympic team.

Trae Young/ Ja Morant / DeAaron Fox
Donovan Mitchell/ Devin Booker / Bradley Beal
Jayson Tatum /Jaylen Brown / Zach Lavine
Zion Williamson
Anthony Davis / Bam Adebayo

Coached by Steve Kerr or Erik Spoelstra

Steadysoul
08-07-2021, 05:13 AM
I believe that there’s a pretty good shot that USA sends G league in next World Championships. Regardless you won’t get anywhere near an Olympic quality team and if it still consists of NBA players in my opinion it will make the ‘19 roster look like the Dream Team.

Zion Williamson

Sending the g league would be incredibly stupid. A field that big is too unpredictable.

usagre
08-07-2021, 05:17 AM
Sending the g league would be incredibly stupid. A field that big is too unpredictable.

They’re not mailing a letter. Sending has nothing to do with it. If you haven’t noticed the steadily building indifference on the part of NBA players when it comes to that tournament then you are blind. The players have just caught up to where the public has always been in that regard.

JamalJokic
08-07-2021, 05:34 AM

Zion Williamson

I think using G League players would be a bad since it’s probably the fifth best league in the world.
Going forward I think the US will have to build their teams around young players. No more proven starts like KD. They will probably build their teams around young star players like the 2014 WC with Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving.

usagre
08-07-2021, 05:43 AM
I think using G League players would be a bad since it’s probably the fifth best league in the world.
Going forward I think the US will have to build their teams around young players. No more proven starts like KD. They will probably build their teams around young star players like the 2014 WC with Anthony Davis and Kyrie Irving.

USA world Championships teams always followed that blueprint. 2006, 2010 and 2014 key players were mostly in their early 20’s. But I don’t think they’ll want to play in that tournament anymore. So then you’ll be left with the Brook Lopez, Joe Harris, Marcus Smart and Harrison Barnes of the world. I doubt if you’re a young star that you’ll devote two consecutive summers. It will be Olympics or bust I predict.

usagre
08-07-2021, 06:05 AM
The media pushing a lazy narrative as usual comparing Draymond Green and his 2 Gold Olympic medals to some of the others on that list. Green was obviously an important rotation player on this team. But on the 2016 team other than a good game against Australia in pool play he was basically the Javale McGee of that team. He was not a rotation player in the knockout games and was a 10th or 11th man. Only came in in mop up garbage time.

Steadysoul
08-07-2021, 07:29 AM
They’re not mailing a letter. Sending has nothing to do with it. If you haven’t noticed the steadily building indifference on the part of NBA players when it comes to that tournament then you are blind. The players have just caught up to where the public has always been in that regard.

There's always young talented players looking for a shot to play for team USA. Jerry is gone this year. Let's not jump the gun on assuming that Grant Hill will operate the same way

Shawshank
08-07-2021, 07:36 AM
That A.Davis that is always hurt will play in next olympics when he will be in his 30s thats a pipe dream.

USA have problems going forward in C position. Todays best world bigs is international players.

Gobert is main reason why Usa have problems with France matchup wise .

Usa opponenets want to see more Lillards and Youngs on USA team that cant defend even their own shadows and just play on one side.

Holidays,Booker and Lavine their really played hard and competed in defence againts bigger bodies they got in switch. Cant say same about Lillard :)

Overall Durant is real cheat code in fiba. KD individual greatness hiding alot of problems for team with little chemistry.

Those 9 Usa players that played deserve alot of credit. Beat Spain/Australia/France thats 3 deepest and strongest fiba teams right now.

This Usa team really got tough playoofs road and earn gold medal.

anon9000
08-07-2021, 08:54 AM
They pulled it off for an entertaining game, hopefully its the same for the next Olympics.

As a fan Id rather watch a tight game than a squash match.

usagre
08-07-2021, 10:42 AM
That A.Davis that is always hurt will play in next olympics when he will be in his 30s thats a pipe dream.

He will be 31 years old. And of course that’s barring injury which he is prone to. Kind of like that guy who plays for that other Los Angeles team that you thought was going to take over the league. Lol.

anon9000
08-07-2021, 10:55 AM
He will be 31 years old. And of course that’s barring injury which he is prone to. Kind of like that guy who plays for that other Los Angeles team that you thought was going to take over the league. Lol.

lol AD aka Street clothes isn't gonna risk an injury.

Zion or Wiseman may be in the next Olympics

usagre
08-07-2021, 11:06 AM
lol AD aka Street clothes isn't gonna risk an injury.

Zion or Wiseman may be in the next Olympics

AD at 31 with an NBA title already in his pocket and most likely another one by then I think if healthy would play. Funny that the most bitter ex player on TV gave him that nickname out of shear jealousy and ironically spent a lot of time in street clothes in his own right. Unlike Karl Malone his contemporary.

reamily
08-07-2021, 12:13 PM
They pulled it off for an entertaining game, hopefully its the same for the next Olympics.

As a fan Id rather watch a tight game than a squash match.

Thats why they pulled their punches again

usagre
08-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Typical Fran calling Tobey the pride of Middletown NY while the guy is representing a foreign country in the Olympics.
Absolutely hysterical. I guess pride is a one way street.

usagre
08-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Not surprisingly Fran pushing another lazy media narrative. No KD no Gold. Kind of like the nonsense we were hearing after Durant pulled out of the ‘14 Worlds after the first intra scrimmage exhibition. The fact is that you can’t just pluck a guy out of the team and imagine the end result had he not been on the team. Too many questions are left unanswered. Who would have been his replacement ? And obviously the offense would have been structured differently. Would they have won Gold without him ? Who knows. Two things I do know are that they still would be the favorites and it is a lot easier when Kevin Durant is on the team.

usagre
08-07-2021, 03:54 PM
If not for rescheduling of Olympics Durant would not have been available and had the opportunity to win 3rd Gold medal.
Multiple Gold Medal winners:

Carmelo Anthony. ‘08, ‘12, ‘16
Kevin Durant. ‘12, ‘16, ‘21

Michael Jordan. ‘84, ‘92
Patrick Ewing.
Chris Mullin

Scottie Pippen. ‘92, ‘96
David Robinson
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
John Stockton

Gary Payton. ‘96, ‘00

Jason Kidd. ‘00, ‘08

Lebron James. ‘08, ‘12
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul.
Deron Williams

Draymond Green. ‘16, ‘21

JamalJokic
08-07-2021, 05:09 PM
USA world Championships teams always followed that blueprint. 2006, 2010 and 2014 key players were mostly in their early 20’s. But I don’t think they’ll want to play in that tournament anymore. So then you’ll be left with the Brook Lopez, Joe Harris, Marcus Smart and Harrison Barnes of the world. I doubt if you’re a young star that you’ll devote two consecutive summers. It will be Olympics or bust I predict.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Grant Hill and USA implement something where if you want to play in the Olympics you need to play on the World Cup team. I think they did something like this with the redeem team where they had those players commit to playing in the Americas tournament in order to be in the running for the Olympics.

JGX
08-07-2021, 07:15 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Grant Hill and USA implement something where if you want to play in the Olympics you need to play on the World Cup team.

They don't have the leverage to make that demand. It's in USAB's interest to send the strongest team they can to the Olympics. If the 2023 World Cup team loses in the quarterfinals again, and then better players are interested in playing at the Olympics, are they seriously going to say "sorry, we're sticking with the guys who lost in the quarterfinals"? I can't see it and neither can the top players. Plus not everyone who plays the World Cup is going to be available for the Olympics anyway.

With the new system, winning the WC is nice, but I think USAB will be fine with seeing it primarily as an Olympic qualifying tournament. Only weirdos like us are watching these late night/early morning WC games played in East Asia anyway.

Also remember in 2003 they made a big deal of securing a two-year commitment from the top players, and then everyone except Duncan and Iverson backed out of the Olympics. If it's going to be hard to get players for two years in a row, it's better to get them for the second year.

Bigger issue for the US is that the exceptionally talented generation born in the mid/late-80's is aging out of international play, and while there will always be very good players, guys like KD and LeBron are hard to replace even for the US.

Dtown
08-07-2021, 07:36 PM
They don't have the leverage to make that demand. It's in USAB's interest to send the strongest team they can to the Olympics. If the 2023 World Cup team loses in the quarterfinals again, and then better players are interested in playing at the Olympics, are they seriously going to say "sorry, we're sticking with the guys who lost in the quarterfinals"? I can't see it and neither can the top players. Plus not everyone who plays the World Cup is going to be available for the Olympics anyway.

With the new system, winning the WC is nice, but I think USAB will be fine with seeing it primarily as an Olympic qualifying tournament. Only weirdos like us are watching these late night/early morning WC games played in East Asia anyway.

Also remember in 2003 they made a big deal of securing a two-year commitment from the top players, and then everyone except Duncan and Iverson backed out of the Olympics. If it's going to be hard to get players for two years in a row, it's better to get them for the second year.

Bigger issue for the US is that the exceptionally talented generation born in the mid/late-80's is aging out of international play, and while there will always be very good players, guys like KD and LeBron are hard to replace even for the US.

I'd agree they don't have the leverage now, but all it would take would be the US failing to qualify to the Olympics directly to push that initiative.

But, of course, the other side of this coin is the Americas on the whole are in decline outside the US. The remnants of Argentina's golden generation are retiring, Canada can never seem to escape being only a good team on paper, and Brazil can never seem to put it together. Right now it's hard to see one of those teams being better than a C or D US team, let alone the two needed to put pressure on qualification.

Shawshank
08-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Those C or D usa teams with Barnes and B.Lopez level players should be enough to make top 8 and qualife to Olympics directly because american continent right now is weak,but those C or D level Usa NT is not winning gold medal in world cups those days are past.

2019 wasnt fluke only D.Mitchell heroics made that game close versus France but when only real nba star on that team got tired scoring alone in 2 half those average usa players was looking very shaky under pressure in fiba and simply lost .

In this Olympics Durant needed to play like nba superstar to win it all againts best fiba teams.

Enough to look what happend with Canada Nt 2021 with their Wiggins,Barret,Dorts,Joseph nba type players and Czechs isnt even elite fiba NT.

If for USA NT is ok just to get direct place to olympics and finish top 6 in world cup sure D level Usa team should do for that mission to accomplish.

But in that case dont need to blame usa coach that he isnt winning gold with Barnes and J.Harris types againts similiar level nba foreigners that has way better team chemistry that they built over multiple years in NT.

Such D level USA team like in 2019 or Canadas average nba players group without no chemistry is not winning 3 playoofs tough fought games against elite fiba NT in 2020s era.

JamalJokic
08-07-2021, 11:57 PM
Those C or D usa teams with Barnes and B.Lopez level players should be enough to make top 8 and qualife to Olympics directly because american continent right now is weak,but those C or D level Usa NT is not winning gold medal in world cups those days are past.

2019 wasnt fluke only D.Mitchell heroics made that game close versus France but when only real nba star on that team got tired scoring alone in 2 half those average usa players was looking very shaky under pressure in fiba and simply lost .

In this Olympics Durant needed to play like nba superstar to win it all againts best fiba teams.

Enough to look what happend with Canada Nt 2021 with their Wiggins,Barret,Dorts,Joseph nba type players and Czechs isnt even elite fiba NT.

If for USA NT is ok just to get direct place to olympics and finish top 6 in world cup sure D level Usa team should do for that mission to accomplish.

But in that case dont need to blame usa coach that he isnt winning gold with Barnes and J.Harris types againts similiar level nba foreigners that has way better team chemistry that they built over multiple years in NT.

Such D level USA team like in 2019 or Canadas average nba players group without no chemistry is not winning 3 playoofs tough fought games against elite fiba NT in 2020s era.

Good point about how weak the Americas zone is right now. Seems like Brazil, Puerto Rico have been clinging to older players and not working younger players into the program. Argentina still has good players but they’re all guards and they don’t have any good bigs. I think it’s really important for the Americas and Fiba in general that Canada gets their program together and starts competing at the WC and Olympics. Canada has a ton of talent and for these tournaments to be as competitive as possible you need the most talented teams to show up.

ChuckDiesel2
08-08-2021, 05:16 AM
Anyone have any idea where AmeriCup 2022 will be held? Gonna try to go if it’s in North America.

ChuckDiesel2
08-17-2021, 10:48 PM
Putting the 2024 Olympics aside, we now have a two year window for USAB to answer the age old “continuity” question, starting with the 2022 Americup and 2023 World Cup teams. Realize there are all kinds of influencing factors outside my understanding (Nike, agent relationships, player willingness) but in a fantasy world where I assume full control of the senior men’s team, the first thing I’d do is implement some non negotiable roster standards.

In late spring of 2022, a two year roster of twenty players would be selected for the Americup and World Cup teams. For an entire month lead up to Brazil’s September AmeriCup, all 20 players would participate in a training camp/exhibition schedule until the final roster is whittled down to 12. Barring a catastrophic result, that exact same team would run it back for the 2023 World Cup in Asia. The remaining eight players who participated in camp but didn’t make the final cut would be given the first crack as injury replacements.

I’d target a mix of top U-23 talent and hard nosed, defensive minded veterans who just signed long term deals or already have enough in the bank that contract uncertainty won’t be a hindrance. The net would cast towards players likely to be on lottery/early playoff exit situations and those most desperate to feel alive/win something again.

Such demands would certainly thin the herd on who’s willing to participate, and that’s fine. The best team out of those who are committed. Previous Team USA equity would also be taken into account.

Sample of an ideal 20 player pool. Emphasis on defensive versatility, toughness, intelligence and athleticism.

Fred VanVleet/Tyrese Haliburton/LaMelo Ball/TJ McConnell
Jalen Suggs/DeAnthony Melton/Alex Caruso/Davion Mitchell
Cade Cunningham/Anthony Edwards/Norman Powell/Gary Trent Jr
Keldon Johnson/Miles Bridges/Saddiq Bey/Scottie Barnes
Richaun Holmes, Larry Nance Jr, Thad Young, Isiah Stewart.

banga
01-30-2023, 03:01 AM
https://t.me/pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram
Make 1000% and more within 1 day, join channel @pump_upp !