PDA

View Full Version : Australian NT 2021 Olympics

Mindozas
02-03-2021, 07:38 AM
Boomers announced their preliminary roster for Olympics. (https://australia.basketball/blog/2021/02/03/australian-mens-basketball-olympic-squad-revealed/) Obvious missing is Andrew Bogut, who retired recently, other than that, if I didn't miss anyone, all the best Australia can offer

Australian Menís Tokyo 2020 Olympic Squad

Squad Number Athleteís Name Current Club
1 Deng ADEL Hawks (NBL)
2 Aron BAYNES Toronto Raptors (NBA)
3 Ryan BROEKHOFF NBA Free Agent
4 Xavier COOKS Sydney Kings (NBL)
5 Mitch CREEK South East Melbourne Phoenix (NBL)
6 Matthew DELLAVEDOVA Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
7 Dante EXUM Houston Rockets (NBA)
8 Josh GIDDEY Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
9 Chris GOULDING Melbourne United (NBL)
10 Josh GREEN Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
11 Isaac HUMPHRIES Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
12 Joe INGLES Utah Jazz (NBA)
13 Nick KAY Real Betis (Spain)
14 Jock LANDALE Melbourne United (NBL)
15 Mitch McCARRON Melbourne United (NBL)
16 Will McDOWELL-WHITE Rio Grande Valley Vipers (NBA G League)
17 Will MAGNAY New Orleans Pelicans (NBA)
18 Thon MAKER NBA Free Agent
19 Patty MILLS San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
20 Brock MOTUM Galatasaray (Turkey)
21 Mitch NORTON Perth Wildcats (NBL)
22 Duop REATH Crvena Zvezda (Serbia)
23 Ben SIMMONS Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
24 Matisse THYBULLE Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)

reptilia
02-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Bolden the biggest name to miss out.
Cotton surely comes in to the side with citizenship.

Katastroika
02-03-2021, 10:24 AM
I think this is a good team but a little in decline. Will be interesting to see Ben Simmons in FIBA.

madmax
02-03-2021, 11:49 AM
so we are gonna assume Ben Simmons is gonna show up this time around?:D Anyway, like usual, a very strong aussie teams with multiple quality NBA players - a strong medal contender for sure if things go smoothly for them

reptilia
02-03-2021, 01:09 PM
I think this is a good team but a little in decline. Will be interesting to see Ben Simmons in FIBA.

Not sure you can say the boomers are in decline with 13 of the 24 players u25. Plateau maybe...
Teams on the up are Canada obviously and France. The other European teams like Serbia, Spain, Croatia, lithuania and also Argentina are like Australia, on a plateau...

Biggest up and coming nation imo is Germany. I think within the next decade they’ll jump up the rankings.

The exception is always the USA who have an abundance of talent, hopefully the best will show up.

Katastroika
02-03-2021, 01:21 PM
The question is not how many player are U25 but which players will burden a lot of usage on their shoulders and speaking about Joe, Patty and Baynes there will be a lot of veteran usage. Interesting team for sure. Glad to see zvezda's player on the list.

Straight forward
02-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Not sure you can say the boomers are in decline with 13 of the 24 players u25. Plateau maybe...
Teams on the up are Canada obviously and France. The other European teams like Serbia, Spain, Croatia, lithuania and also Argentina are like Australia, on a plateau...

Biggest up and coming nation imo is Germany. I think within the next decade they’ll jump up the rankings.

The exception is always the USA who have an abundance of talent, hopefully the best will show up.

What are the chances to see Simmons?

Australia has some great prospects as Josh Giddey. He can be special. Obviously Simmons would make substantial impact, but also bunch of guys who can add some to Australia's WC version, like Exhum, J.Green, M. Thybulle and ect. Mills still having a good season, Ingles still balling. Big contenders no question.

I would say Spain is on decline compared to their red hot generation days, despite remaining contenders and overachieving in WC. Croatia without their identity for decades now, so it's tough to rank them, but has couple great prospects (they are 14th in FIBA rankings, maybe it's time stop talking about hem). Greece is on a decline. Serbia is probably on a plateau, even though it's dragon with nine heads and come up with quality from nowhere all the time. Russia is on decline. Argentina is on decline compared to Manu's times, but still sneaky contenders. Canada is on incredible growth, France has very deep prospect depth and actually Lithuania is on the obvious growth now and it's only a start.

Aside the upcoming big growth of Lithuania which still very small country and can't produce big time prospects every year, now it's USA, Canada, Australia, France and Serbia as the biggest farms of basketball talents in the planet. Specially Canada and France can have incredible amount of talent this decade, but those 2 are also known as good chokers, so we'll see.

reptilia
02-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Probably shouldn’t forget some of the African nations like senegal and Nigeria. Both teams could be 10 deep in the 3/4/5 spots down the road. Issue for them has always been the guards.

Nz I think is being underrated too. Bright future imo.
Eg
Webster/Ili/Cameron
Webster/Murray
Delany/Gapare
Wetzell/Fotu/Mennenga
Adams/Salt

mojo13
02-03-2021, 05:16 PM
I'm curious about which of this roster are Free Agents this summer (if any). Free Agency seems to be an excellent excuse for NBA players to skip out on national team duty. Also any youngsters looking ahead to their first really big contract often opt out.

At least for Canada this has been an ongoing problem. The insurance is far too expensive (FIBAs coverage is a pittance) and the agents put too much pressure of FAs and young player not to play.

Australia certainly has a history of more committed players and deeper pockets to cover insurance but this will still impact some from that list.

Aaron Baynes will be on a team option and could be a FA (he has been a terrible signing for the Raptors).
Patty Mills will be a UFA wont he?
Dante Exum will be a UFA.
Delladova will be a FA too.
Maker and Broekoff seem to be FAs as well, but I'm not sure that matters as much with the fringe players as much.

The lure of the Olympics is strong (very strong), but I'd be surprised if all those guys show up....I know it is different, but if they were Canadian, I'd expected them all to opt out. Still it is hard to think of Baynes, Mills, Delly opting not to play. But Exum, Simmons, Tybulle, Green, Maker?

Edit: Delly might be done for good as well. Concussion issues.

https://sports.yahoo.com/matthew-dellavedova-cavaliers-potential-retirement-concussions-nba-031003089.html

Mindozas
02-10-2021, 09:16 AM
Edit: Delly might be done for good as well. Concussion issues.

https://sports.yahoo.com/matthew-dellavedova-cavaliers-potential-retirement-concussions-nba-031003089.html

Delly denied the rumors about retirement

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/matthew-dellavedova-shuts-down-shock-retirement-talk/news-story/876d7e18edd579a15563555223ea1495

ecochris
02-25-2021, 08:10 PM
I'm still not convinced that the Olympics will go ahead this year. I can't see foreign travel being allowed by August (or is it September?)

mojo13
02-26-2021, 10:37 PM
I'm still not convinced that the Olympics will go ahead this year. I can't see foreign travel being allowed by August (or is it September?)

How is foreign travel not allowed? Maybe the UK and NZ and a couple other countries, but after that? Case rates have dropped 93%+ from the peak last month in the US. Seems to be the trend in many other countries as well.

Toruko
02-26-2021, 10:49 PM
How is foreign travel not allowed? Maybe the UK and NZ and a couple other countries, but after that? Case rates have dropped 93%+ from the peak last month in the US. Seems to be the trend in many other countries as well.

I mean I wouldnt be against to postpone the Olympic qualifiers since the Turkish team is very young but it wont happen