PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Qualifying Tournament - SERBIA

Levenspiel
12-18-2019, 09:23 AM
The tournament will be held in Belgrade between June 23-28, 2020.

Group
Team
Qualification
FIBA World Ranking

A
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/ff/Flag_of_Serbia.svg/23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_basketball_team)
5th at the 2019 WC
6th

A
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg.png Dominican Republic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic_national_basketball_team)
16th at the 2019 WC
19th

A
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg/23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_national_basketball_team)
19th at the 2019 WC
24th

B
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_basketball_team)
9th at the 2019 WC
12th

B
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg/23px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png Puerto Rico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico_national_basketball_team)
15th at the 2019 WC
17th

B
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Flag_of_Senegal.svg/23px-Flag_of_Senegal.svg.png Senegal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegal_national_basketball_team)
Wild Card
35th

The first two teams of each group qualifies, and play each other to reach the final. The winner of the final goes to the Olympics.

Katastroika
12-19-2019, 11:25 AM
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/news/jokic-hopes-to-create-another-great-olympic-moment-for-serbia

Nikola confirmed, Bogdan seems to be safe, too. Looks like Serbia will have a very good team at the qualifiers (at least nominally).

Team I would love to see:

Micic, Teo, Jovic
Bogdan, Nedovic, Guduric
Lucic, Micov
Bjelica, Smailagic
Jokic, Milutinov

Good offense-defense balance, you can space whenever you want as all except Milutinov are shooting for 3, would be very nice to see this kind of team in Belgrade. Thinks it matches Kokoskov's philosophy very good.

Toruko
12-19-2019, 03:37 PM
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/news/jokic-hopes-to-create-another-great-olympic-moment-for-serbia

Nikola confirmed, Bogdan seems to be safe, too. Looks like Serbia will have a very good team at the qualifiers (at least nominally).

Team I would love to see:

Micic, Teo, Jovic
Bogdan, Nedovic, Guduric
Lucic, Micov
Bjelica, Smailagic
Jokic, Milutinov

Good offense-defense balance, you can space whenever you want as all except Milutinov are shooting for 3, would be very nice to see this kind of team in Belgrade. Thinks it matches Kokoskov's philosophy very good.

The small forward position is a bit weak but rest is more than ok.

Wellbet
12-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Serbia is a pretty formidable team. And yeah I do agree with the good balance of offense and defense. The good court vision of each of everyone on this team, will be a huge factor.

Italian Pride
01-10-2020, 10:59 AM
after Hackett's retirement we have another black hole:pg position

If Nico Mannion won't join NT next summer,i don't know who will play like PG in Belgrade

Katastroika
01-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Maybe Moretti? Cinciarini? First step for Italian team is banning Gentile 25km away from every possible meeting of Italian team.

Italian Pride
01-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Maybe Moretti? Cinciarini? First step for Italian team is banning Gentile 25km away from every possible meeting of Italian team.

According to the season in italian league i would say Marco Spissu,starting PG of Dinamo Sassari, would deserve a chance,but he is so undersize,only 6-0 and not an athletic player

Katastroika
01-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Haven't watched Marco much to be honest except in Dinamo - Virtus this season. Interesting choice and big footsteps after Hackett's absence.

Toruko
01-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Whats with this Bucks guy DiVincenzo. Is he going to play for Italy in the qualifiers?

P.S. I know that he is not a play maker.

soulis79
01-10-2020, 10:19 PM
I think Italy will count on Belinelli services as a point guard. Maybe if he adapts as Basile did some years ago.Furthermore Mannion will be a lottery pick, so he will not be available. DiVicenzo if he actually plays, can carry the ball but i don't think that he is some kind of point guard, more a shot creator. It's a pity that these players(Belinelli, Bargniani, Galinari and Hackett) never achieved something special with their national team. That game against Lithuania (2015) will hunt them for years.

mojo13
01-14-2020, 06:32 AM
I think Italy will count on Belinelli services as a point guard. Maybe if he adapts as Basile did some years ago.Furthermore Mannion will be a lottery pick, so he will not be available. DiVicenzo if he actually plays, can carry the ball but i don't think that he is some kind of point guard, more a shot creator. It's a pity that these players(Belinelli, Bargniani, Galinari and Hackett) never achieved something special with their national team. That game against Lithuania (2015) will hunt them for years.

I know it is not the norm, but high draft picks sometimes play. Rui Hachimura would be an example this past Summer.

Italian Pride
01-14-2020, 10:42 PM
Whats with this Bucks guy DiVincenzo. Is he going to play for Italy in the qualifiers?

P.S. I know that he is not a play maker.

Di Vincenzo wants to play in June,but he does'nt have italian passport,so we'll see the next 4 months

Mannion in a recent interview on italian tv said that he wants to play https://sportando.basketball/nico-mannion-faro-di-tutto-per-giocare-per-litalia/

Mannion-Spissu
Belinelli-Di Vincenzo-Moraschini or Della Valle
Datome-Gentile-Abass
Gallinari-Polonara
Melli-Biligha

these are the best roster possible for us,i think not enough to defeat serbia at home

Toruko
01-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Di Vincenzo wants to play in June,but he does'nt have italian passport,so we'll see the next 4 months

Mannion in a recent interview on italian tv said that he wants to play https://sportando.basketball/nico-mannion-faro-di-tutto-per-giocare-per-litalia/

Mannion-Spissu
Belinelli-Di Vincenzo-Moraschini or Della Valle
Datome-Gentile-Abass
Gallinari-Polonara
Melli-Biligha

these are the best roster possible for us,i think not enough to defeat serbia at home

Normally not a bad roster but positions 1 and 5 are too weak indeed.

Katastroika
01-15-2020, 03:59 AM
Malone from Denver in Kokoškov's coaching staff. Very good move from KSS and Igor. Fantastic move.

Serbian_Layup
01-15-2020, 07:47 AM
Really good news for two reasons:

1. Jokić will be with NT for both Qualifiers and Olympics.

2. I'm sure Kokoškov has a pretty good idea how to make the best use of Jokić, but there is probably no one better than Malone when it comes to making Jokić be the best version of him. Really clever move by Kokoškov, he knows there is such a short time to make all the things go smooth from the start during these qualifications, so Malone will just speed up the process of integrating the Jokić-ball into our offensive identity. We can expect a lot of Denver-like sets, such as DHO-s, high post plays with a lot of off-ball movement, cutting from all angles, and a lot of open looks from the three point range. And I expect Bogdan-Jokić p&r fully unleashed. Great move by our Federation and Kokoškov. We are a good team without Jokić, but we are a different dimension if he is going to be put in the best possible position to succeed, and something tells me that is exactly going to happen.

This kind of open-minded approach followed by professionalism and commitment is really important in order to achieve something big.

Toruko
01-15-2020, 09:59 AM
I dont agree with you guys. Denver uses Jokic as point center. He is the main creator and this changes all defensive habits and the geometry of the team/court. Adapting in such a system is not very easy to realize especially not in that time. You can of course let him create insight altough he is much better creating from outside.

Katastroika
01-15-2020, 10:21 AM
With what you are concretely not agreeing? With Malone, one of the best coaches in the NBA, being in Serbian coaching staff? I cannot believe what I read.

Usually Serbs are incredibly critical to their national team but I haven't read one single opinion whether from fans nor from experts that think that this is a bad move.

Toruko
01-15-2020, 10:30 AM
With what you are concretely not agreeing? With Malone, one of the best coaches in the NBA, being in Serbian coaching staff? I cannot believe what I read.

Usually Serbs are incredibly critical to their national team but I haven't read one single opinion whether from fans nor from experts that think that this is a bad move.

Not with Melone. He will certainly helpful but using Jokic in the way Melone is using him in Denver wont be that easy. You can have him, i dont mind. :P

Katastroika
01-15-2020, 10:56 AM
We are not the Denver Nuggets nor should we be (out of various reasons). But it opens a lot of additional problems to our opponents if we use Jokic as center and not in dinosaur combinations with Marjanovic, Raduljica or simmilar type of players. This could be seen in 2016 where we played very good basketball. There are many restrictions like defensive three seconds which change the environment drastically. But it's not the point. It's also not the point if he will have 30/15/10 or 20/7/3 - it's a question of maximizing his strenghts. And in this direction I absolutely agree with Layup's post.

Jokic is by far our best player, he has incredible production at the low post, he can spread, im some situations he is pretty indefendable. I think that this could look very good with this roster. If it will be like that, I don't know. My expectations are quite high if everyone is healthy.

Serbian_Layup
01-15-2020, 12:01 PM
It won't be easy and I don't expect to see miracles in such a short time for preparations prior to the start of Qualifiers, but Serbian team has everything truly needed to deploy Jokić-ball in full capacity. Plenty of shooters, cutters and pretty decent perimeter defenders. Not to mention that Jokić with Teo, Bogdan and Micić will be a huge weapon in p&r sets as either finisher or facilitator when defenses collapse at him rolling to the basket, imagine leaving Bogdan, Bjelica alone in the corner, it's a piece of cake for Jokić. But for starters, use him solely as C, spread the floor, share the ball, and that alone will make this team unpredictable and very hard to stop. And I don't even think about all those sets and plays you can execute with Jokić in the low post, high post or simply by using DHO-s on the perimeter.

Bogdan and Bjelica are automatic from the long range, Micić and Teo are more often than not snipers, Gudurić is a good spot up shooter, Nedović is a bit streaky but also very dangerous. Then you have players that fit the profile of off-ball players or cutters in Jokić's offense, such as Lučić, Kalinić, Jović and Nedović (I think Nedović's athleticism will be deadly with Jokić if he would commit to a bit more off-ball role). Just mix it up, 2-3 shooters, 1-2 cutters should always be on the floor with Jokić, and it's a big trouble for teams to defend inside-outside game for 40 minutes. The main principle would be to use Jokić as C all the time.

The biggest challenge for Kokoškov will be to give a meaningful role to all of our players who really like to handle the ball and make plays, so that no one would feel alienated from the team's identity or playing in some kind of discomfort.

Dtown
02-24-2020, 02:37 AM
Hard to see anyone challenging Serbia. Talent wise in this tournament I think Italy's the only one who's close. Neutral site they might pull the upset, but beating a loaded Serbian team in Serbia seems too much to ask.

Katastroika
02-24-2020, 11:52 AM
I cannot remember a lost game against Italy since 1997 group stage. We really fit them maybe worst of all teams in FIBA and they fit us the most. But their strengths are well known. We need a good day to beat them, they need a perfect day to beat us. On the other hand, a loss against anyone else except them I would consider one of the greatest losses in our basketball history under those circumstances.

Italian Pride
02-28-2020, 10:27 AM
I cannot remember a lost game against Italy since 1997 group stage. We really fit them maybe worst of all teams in FIBA and they fit us the most. But their strengths are well known. We need a good day to beat them, they need a perfect day to beat us. On the other hand, a loss against anyone else except them I would consider one of the greatest losses in our basketball history under those circumstances.

Don t you remember EuroBasket 99?

We have few chances(15/20% not more in my opinioni),in order to raise them we need our best players in good shape(For example datome that never play in good shape with NT except one or maybe two tournaments)

I hope to see di vincenzo and mannion in belgrade but actually is very hard

Katastroika
02-29-2020, 01:19 PM
Don t you remember EuroBasket 99?

We have few chances(15/20% not more in my opinioni),in order to raise them we need our best players in good shape(For example datome that never play in good shape with NT except one or maybe two tournaments)

I hope to see di vincenzo and mannion in belgrade but actually is very hard

Of course I do, sorry! But it's really long time gone since then. Great battles against your team back then. There is a lot time until end of June and we have to see first rosters, injuries, form etc. In one game literally everyone can beat everyone so this procentual chances don't mean anything. Pressure will be high on Serbia. We don't play good usually in this games. I expect a final Serbia - Italy.

Katastroika
06-02-2020, 06:02 AM
Serbia will do a preparation from 22nd of June for one week at Kopaonik mountain with national team (missing players will be of course from NBA, ACB and Germany (just Lucic). Maybe we will see some question marks turning into exclamation marks considering roster for next year.

Serbian_Layup
06-09-2020, 08:47 PM
When can we expect this list to come out? NBA players are out, but what about Smailagić? Warriors are done for the season, won't be playing in this new NBA format for the remainder of the season, so he might be available. He's got very interesting and unusual skill set for a big man and he is really fun to watch. Petrušev? Would love to see him among those names. Radanov, Ilić, Trifunović, Jaramaz are definitely in as younger prospects, probably Pecarski and Simanić too. Too early for Pokuševski and Nakić (if he decides to play for Serbia).

It will be interesting to see which group of those younger players will Kokoškov highlight as favorites to make the team in the next cycle. We will definitely need refreshments very soon, some players are not getting any younger (Teo, Bjelica in the first place). Finding replacement for Bjelica is going to be of huge importance. This is a good chance for Kokoškov to try out some of these young forwards (Ilić, Simanić) and especially get familiar with Smailagić/Petrušev and see if one of them could be used as a PF (I think Smailagić will have ability to play both PF/C).

Katastroika
06-10-2020, 05:32 AM
Smailagic is working out in Belgrade at the moment, if contract allows him to join (even I don't know why it shouldn't) he cuold show up.

I expect the list of participants at Sunday, as usually being communicated via KSS. The golden target of Serbia is surely Tristan Vukcevic but he is way too young to know if he can seriously participate in senior basketball as for all young players. I agree that PF is the most critical spots the upcoming years, all other positions are pretty stacked and and promising and Senior national team members in their best age.

Katastroika
06-21-2020, 02:35 PM
Miloš Teodosić (Virtus), Vasilije Micić (Efes), Stefan Jović (Himki), Nemanja Nedović (trenutno bez kluba), Nikola Kalinić (Fenerbahče), Miroslav Raduljica (Đijangsu), Branko Lazić, Dejan Davidovac, Ognjen DobrićOgnjen Kuzmić, Nikola Jovanović, Boriša Simanić (Crvena zvezda), Novica Veličković, Stefan Birčević, Rade Zagorac, Ognjen Jaramaz, Nikola Janković, Uroš Trifunović (Partizan), Nikola Rebić, Luka Ašćerić (Mega), Aleksa Avramović, Nemanja Dangubić (Estudijantes), Stefan Pot, Stefan Đorđević , Marko Pecarski, Aleksa Radanov (FMP), Dalibor Ilić (Igokea), Stefan Janković (Kepital siti Go-Go), Aleksej Pokuševski (Olimpijakos), Filip Petrušev (Gonzaga) i Luka Mitrović (Mursija).

Except Milutinov all non NBA, non Germans and non Spaniards are present for the training camp. Some very interesting young guns like Trifunovic, Pokusevski, Radanov, Ilic, Pecarski and Petrusev have been called up. Training will be led from assistants Deki Milojevic and Vlada Jovanovic.

Katastroika
06-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Training camp cancelled due to COVID-19 risk. Good decision after latest developments.

Katastroika
11-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Thought about both variations now:

Teodosic / Jovic / Micic
Nedovic / Jaramaz / Avramovic (Marinkovic)
Lucic / Kalinic
Jagodic-Kuridza / ?
Milutinov / Raduljica

vs

Teodosic / Jovic / Micic
Bogdanovic / Nedovic / Jaramaz (Marinkovic/Avramovic/Guduric)
Lucic/Kalinic
Bjelica/Smailagic
Jokic/Milutinov (Marjanovic/Radujlica)

I think we still could compete for a medal with NBAless rosters of all team but loss of equality is gigantic.
I think Italy will be hurt a lot with NBAless roster in Belgrade even they can put up a very interesting team. Spissu - Vitali - Datome - Gentile - Brooks.

Mindozas
02-26-2021, 04:22 PM
New Zeland withdraws and Philippines joins in. Not that I was very surprised by this NZ decision, lately they also decided to withdraw their football club from FIFA Club World Cup. Anyway, I'm happy for Philippines, bball crazy nation

Katastroika
02-26-2021, 06:08 PM
This comes very surprisingly.

madmax
02-26-2021, 06:34 PM
dayum, kiwis got some decent players nowadays, Steven Adams being the most notable one, and them conceding a chance to compete in Olympic games so nonchalantly really bugs my mind...is it because of Covic related issues?

mojo13
02-26-2021, 10:34 PM
dayum, kiwis got some decent players nowadays, Steven Adams being the most notable one, and them conceding a chance to compete in Olympic games so nonchalantly really bugs my mind...is it because of Covic related issues?

Covid and chronic underfunding of the federation. Someone on twitter mentioned they are pretty much out of money and couldn't afford to play.

Mindozas
02-27-2021, 09:40 AM

Adams wouldn't play what so ever most likely. He was never committed due to those bitterness he had from his youth years and bad experiences with federation, blaming them not caring about youth game. The rest has not much chances, so probably another reason not risk and not to spend money they lack

ChuckDiesel2
04-17-2021, 05:36 PM
Adams has also openly talked about the New Zealand basketball system being unfair to Maori, Pacific Islander and other non white group, underprivileged demographics in the country.

Mindozas
05-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Senegal announced preliminary roster with Baskonia's Pierria Henry as new reinforcement to take naturalized player place instead of Clevin Hannah. Huge improvement for them if Henry will join and will be motivated to play. Now it's interesting to see how many NBAers they will able to get, in preliminary roster there's long time NT star Gorgui Dieng (San Antonio Spurs), then newcomers Tacko Fall (Boston Celtics) and Georges Niang (Utah Jazz).

More interesting players: Maurice Ndour (Zhejiang, China), Brancou Badio (Barca/Barca B), Youssoupha Fall (Baskonia), Youssou Ndoye (Sevilla Betis), Ibrahima Fall Faye (Monaco)

The remaining: Louis Adams, Mouhamed Alga N’Diaye, Cheikh Bamba Diallo, Pape Diop, Makhtar Gueye, Alkaly Mamadou Ndour, Mbaye N’Diaye

As always strong and deep frontcourt on paper and this time decent PG. If they'll be able to bring everyone aboard they might get out of the group, but probably the journey will end there. One thing is for sure that their coaching staff is probably the tallest ever with headcoach Boniface Ndong and assistant DeSagana Diop :)

Katastroika
05-14-2021, 01:58 PM
And of course Mohammed Faye beloved ex-Zvezda player!

Mindozas
05-14-2021, 02:12 PM
And of course Mohammed Faye beloved ex-Zvezda player!

He wasn't invited like couple of other veterans, probably giving a chance to younger guys

Katastroika
05-14-2021, 03:29 PM
He wasn't invited like couple of other veterans, probably giving a chance to younger guys

Really? Mo is a good player. That's very surprising. I'll check detailed roster later.

ChuckDiesel2
05-24-2021, 11:08 PM
There had been talk about Donte DiVincenzo suiting up for Italy in the past, and if he's somehow on the roster for the Belgrade tournament he could be a game changer for Gli Azzurri. Gotta imagine it's unlikely unless the Bucks flame out in the first round. Any Italians have an update on this?

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/national-teams/787494/donte-divincenzo-ready-to-obtain-italian-passport/

Mindozas
05-25-2021, 07:06 AM
There had been talk about Donte DiVincenzo suiting up for Italy in the past, and if he's somehow on the roster for the Belgrade tournament he could be a game changer for Gli Azzurri. Gotta imagine it's unlikely unless the Bucks flame out in the first round. Any Italians have an update on this?

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/national-teams/787494/donte-divincenzo-ready-to-obtain-italian-passport/

DiVincenzo will not play for Italy in June
Donte DiVincenzo will not play for Italy’s National Team in the upcoming Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Belgrade.

The Milwaukee Bucks guard is highly unlikely to get the Italian passport before June when the tournament wil be played.

Italian Basketball Federation is working since months to get the passport for the former NCAA champion but covid pandemic slowed downs things.

Italy will have Paolo Banchero as naturalized player in Belgrade. The five-star prospect has yet to debut with Italy since he got the passport a few months ago.

The news was reported by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

https://sportando.basketball/en/donte-divincenzo-highly-unlikely-to-get-italian-passport-before-olympic-qualifying-tournament/

ChuckDiesel2
05-25-2021, 04:25 PM
Ahh missed this. Much obliged.

Katastroika
05-31-2021, 11:50 AM
Preliminary 25-roster of the Blues for this campaign:

Miloš Teodosić
Stefan Jović
Vasilije Micić
Aleksa Avramović
Bogdan Bogdanović
Nemanja Nedović
Danilo Anđušić
Ognjen Jaramaz
Branko Lazić
Vanja Marinković
Nikola Kalinić
Vladimir Lučić
Ognjen Dobrić
Dragan Milosavljević
Marko Gudurić
Aleksej Pokuševski
Nemanja Bjelica
Dejan Davidovac
Alen Smailagić
Filip Petrušev
Dalibor Ilić
Nikola Milutinov
Boban Marjanović
Miroslav Raduljica
Nikola Jokić

Gathering in Belgrade of guys who aren't playing finals / playoffs in their competitions will be 12th of June in Belgrade. Afterwards Acropolis tournament.

Mindozas
05-31-2021, 11:58 AM
Even tho you more or less know all the names that Serbia can gather together, it still looks sick list everytime you see it :)

Katastroika
05-31-2021, 12:02 PM
We have one additional friendly in front of tournament, our guests haven't been revealed right now - I hope for someone like Germany that play in nearby Split.

Games of OQT won't be played in Arena but in beloved old Pionir.

Serbian_Layup
06-01-2021, 10:22 AM
This 25 players roster is definitely the best we have right now. But the actual roster that will compete in Belgrade might look very differently. Still, it's good that Kokoskov showed recognition and respect to some players that won't be in final the roster, but contributed during Eurobasket qualifiers.

Hepcat
06-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Still, it's good that Kokoskov showed recognition and respect to some players that won't be in final the roster, but contributed during Eurobasket qualifiers.

Smart of the coach!

:cool:

Shawshank
06-01-2021, 03:00 PM
Preliminary 25-roster of the Blues for this campaign:

Miloš Teodosić
Stefan Jović
Vasilije Micić
Aleksa Avramović
Bogdan Bogdanović
Nemanja Nedović
Danilo Anđušić
Ognjen Jaramaz
Branko Lazić
Vanja Marinković
Nikola Kalinić
Vladimir Lučić
Ognjen Dobrić
Dragan Milosavljević
Marko Gudurić
Aleksej Pokuševski
Nemanja Bjelica
Dejan Davidovac
Alen Smailagić
Filip Petrušev
Dalibor Ilić
Nikola Milutinov
Boban Marjanović
Miroslav Raduljica
Nikola Jokić

Gathering in Belgrade of guys who aren't playing finals / playoffs in their competitions will be 12th of June in Belgrade. Afterwards Acropolis tournament.

roster indeed impressive. I have few questions:

Will Teo ego will agree to play from bench behind Micic and Bogdanovic?

Who serbians consider their best Sf today : Guduric,Kalinic,Lucic ?

Who is main PF on this team or again will go with 2 centers lineups like in 2019 ? Bjelica for me looked bad this season and dont have same movement as used to have.

will growing legend of Poku in usa land help him make serbian team ? :)

Katastroika
06-01-2021, 04:40 PM

Who is main PF on this team or again will go with 2 centers lineups like in 2019 ? Bjelica for me looked bad this season and dont have same movement as used to have.

I really don't know Teo personally but he came of the bench often last years and cannot assume who is more popular among Serbians as SF. In Serbia it's difficult to say because KKCZ-PFC rivalry. Fans claim Lučić if black and Kalinić if red-white. We are pretty primitive i this regard. Gudurić's only pro is that Igor is coaching him, I see him in this roster for some special tasks and lineups but not more because he simply hasn't anything some other hasn't way better except pure shooting which is overrated in this tournaments as basic skillset. Shot in this tournaments is like cheap women. Comes and goes.

For Poku I heard that Kokoškov has some plans but I don't consider them realistic, would be a surprise to me even I would like it somehow. He is All Star potential in my opinion and future leader of this team. I am huge Bjelica fan so I am not neutral but for my basketball understanding Kalinić and Petrušev are more likely to play PF under Kokoškov than Beli, both for their own reasons. Besides all Bjelica is most talented of all of them even now. But I share your opinion that agility is an issue. Like for all players in his ageand position.

Until now it's all speculation because everything will depend on availability of Jokić and Bogdanović in this tournament. I suppose roster could drastically change if we qualify.

Toruko
06-01-2021, 04:53 PM
If its allowed to share other than Serbian opinions here I would choose Kalinic as someone who doesnt demand the ball at all and a great defender with a strong body. Lucic can surely shoot the ball better and he is also not a bad defender himself but not Kalinics dimension. I think the Serbs missed him in the 2019 wc a lot.

Guduric would be a suicide defensively and he was really in bad shape the last Series against Karsiyaka in the Turkish BSL

Katastroika
06-01-2021, 05:29 PM
To me by the way it's not even likely that Kalinic will play this position in national team, he doesn't play it in Valencia and seeing Kokoskov's system in both Fener and with Slovenia 2017 for me highly unlikely that a player of Kalinic type will play SF. For me more likely that even guards will fill this spot than swingman from what I have seen. I simply don't see what Kalinic can give this team as small forward if you're putting him even more away from the post where he is most efficient. Generally double big man line ups are in reportoire of Kokoskov sets but here more likely Petrusev + C lineup. Ironically I think that Lucic and Kalinic could cooperate quite well if both on the floor at same time.

I still think that Andjusic would be a great adding to this team even it would bring hysteria among many zvezda fans. Guy is playing fantastic season is very versatile and has fast legs for his size.

deviant
06-02-2021, 06:00 AM
New Zeland withdraws and Philippines joins in. Not that I was very surprised by this NZ decision, lately they also decided to withdraw their football club from FIFA Club World Cup. Anyway, I'm happy for Philippines, bball crazy nation

Very much looking into it, these young Gilas needs a lot of hard games to prepare for Fiba Asia and eventually at the WC23.

Mindozas
06-02-2021, 07:34 AM
Very much looking into it, these young Gilas needs a lot of hard games to prepare for Fiba Asia and eventually at the WC23.

It's been a while since I visited Philippines NT section, are there any changes regarding OQT or still the same plan to come with younger squad/reserves?

deviant
06-02-2021, 07:53 AM
It's been a while since I visited Philippines NT section, are there any changes regarding OQT or still the same plan to come with younger squad/reserves?

Still the same young squad plus a new NP and probably the 19yr old Kai Sotto.

Mindozas
06-02-2021, 08:02 AM
Still the same young squad plus a new NP and probably the 19yr old Kai Sotto.

Thnx. Btw is this new NP should be that Kouame guy or some new options appeared?

deviant
06-02-2021, 09:48 AM
Thnx. Btw is this new NP should be that Kouame guy or some new options appeared?

For the OQT, yes its Kouame.

janketa
06-02-2021, 09:24 PM
This QT will be joke for Serbia. I expect big fight in Olympic for the gold. It all depends which 'Dream team' will be there. I am just sorry that Doncic doesn't play for Serbia because it would be epic final.

Mindozas
06-04-2021, 10:57 AM
Puerto Rico announced their list with some notable absentees: no matter how new GM Carlos Arroyo tried to persuade him to play, but JJ Barea decided to skip this summer and dedicate it to family as it was a tough season for him. Shabazz Napier also withdrew, also there is no Mo Harkless (Sacramento Kings), Tremont Waters (Celtics), John Holland (Unics Kazan,RUS). Some veterans lie Angel Rodriguez, Franklin, Clemente, Mojica also are not part of the squad anymore. On enotable come back is Tyler Davis, who spend some time in Oklahoma, more in their G-League team, and recently played in South Korea

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3B3yVHWUAMJmUd?format=png&name=small

Katastroika
06-04-2021, 03:13 PM
They are generally in heavy downfall last 5-6 years. Maybe they cann stick together with this different group. Watched Holland this year a few games, he watched brilliant. Maybe biggest loss of them this year.

Mindozas
06-04-2021, 05:17 PM
They are generally in heavy downfall last 5-6 years. Maybe they cann stick together with this different group. Watched Holland this year a few games, he watched brilliant. Maybe biggest loss of them this year.

I have a feeling that they are on never ending downfall since 00s :) They had such a great team back then, especially 2002-04, it was just a pure joy to watch, but that nature of theirs, psychology, when they can beat anyone, but lose against anyone too was just killing them in decisive games

Italian Pride
06-06-2021, 06:28 PM
Mannion-Pajola-Spissu
Tonut-Belinelli
Fontecchio-Abass
Datome-Polonara-Banchero
Melli-Biligha

I think this is the most probably roster in Belgrade

Gallo won't play because because hawks are still currently playing nba playoff

Serbian_Layup
06-07-2021, 10:06 AM
Mannion-Pajola-Spissu
Tonut-Belinelli
Fontecchio-Abass
Datome-Polonara-Banchero
Melli-Biligha

I think this is the most probably roster in Belgrade

Gallo won't play because because hawks are still currently playing nba playoff

I like this roster, but why is Hackett left out? Is Banchero going to be available? Young, but huge talent. Very interesting team IMO, Polonara and Melli are going to bring toughness you lacked in previous years then this kid Mannion is obviously talented and Fontecchio had a very good season with Alba. I also like Pajola from Virtus, lacks shooting but very nice fundamentals. Those are players that were not featured much in previous years but now they are going to bring new dimension to Italian team. Still undersized at 5, but Melli and Polonara are good in both ways and very tough to beat. I think you are going to play the same way like in past years but with addition of more toughness and skill under the basket. Also, do you think Banchero will already get minutes in main rotation? Too bad both Bogdan and Gallo are probably skipping OQT. Nevertheless, I expect much more intense game unlike some previous encounters.

Straight forward
06-07-2021, 10:59 AM
In other words, pretty much a walk in the park for Serbia. No game changers in this roster at the moment. Galo ir even Hackett could be such, but now it's too thin (too old or too young) at this point. Banchero is a super prospect, 5 stars prospects however. In the future he should be huge force.

Serbian_Layup
06-07-2021, 11:23 AM

This is what I think...Teo is surely aware of his age and the talent we have on his position and in general. I think coming off the bench won't be a problem for him if he will still be a part of main rotation and have a meaningful role in this team (which I think he should because he is still good enough to play quality basketball). On the other hand if he feels that he isn't featured enough or his role is completely minimized, I don't think he would agree to come just to sit on the bench. That is going to be Kokoskov's job not only in Teo's case but a lot of other players to give them roles they would feel comfortable with no matter if it is off the bench or starting. I think Teo's situation is perfect. Unlike previous years when he had to do so much for us, now he will be surrounded with great talent and it should make his job a lot easier in whatever playing time he would be getting. Leading second unit in 10-15 minutes might be the best situation for him right now. Considering talent around him his job will be a lot easier and he will also get to his spots without too much effort.

I think all of Lucic, Kalinic and Guduric are good. Considering the structure of our roster and profiles of players, Lucic and Kalinic seem more valuable ate the moment for us than Guduric. They bring skills we really need that are complementary to our best players. I've been saying for a while that Lucic/Kalinic combo is going to bring us a 40 minutes of intense defense, valuable and efficient off ball cutting, scoring and all those little plays that are so important throughout the game. Not to mention they are perfect fit to Jokic centric offense with their defense, athleticism, transition and efficient off ball play (Lucic in particular had a great season in all of these aspects, bunch of clutch plays for Bayern this season on both ends of the floor). They are kind of energetic bomb at forward positions for us and bring exactly what we need considering other profiles of creative and scoring players. Guduric is good, not elite at most things but good at all of them (offensively) with time and room to get even better and decisive. He deserves a spot, but it will be hard for Kokoskov to give him a bigger role than just a floor spacer. That's something Kokoskov will have to deal with.

Bjelica has the skill we need - shooting. He has a great range, and we don't need much of anything else offensively from him. Stretch the floor and wait for opportunities in which he can flash his playmaking and IQ. But we don't need him to force anything whether he is creating for himself or others. We have players to do that and all of them are doing it better than Bjelica right now. He is still valuable to our team, his shooting in particular, but we don't need him to force stuff like he did in 2019.

We will see about Poku...It depends what Thunder think about his development. If they approve he might be among players in final roster. I heard Kokoskov will try to use his connections in Thunder organization to convince them to let him play for NT this summer. And then who knows what to expect...

That two center lineup...I'm not opposed to that lineup but only with right personnel in the frontcourt. That means pairings like Jokic-Raduljica or Jokic-Marjanovic need to vanish. Jokic can't play with unathletic centers that occupy entire paint area and don't let him space to create anything from the high post or low post. For example, Jokic-Milutinov or Jokic-Petrusev pairings are pretty good because both Milutinov and Petrusev have necessary athleticism to stay in the short corner and execute as finishers of off Jokic's creation from the paint area. Jokic played pretty well with Plumlee f.e. also with Faried because those kind of players are athletic and don't need ball in the post to be effective, they flow around paint area especially from the short corner crashing offensive rebounds and dunks.

Katastroika
06-07-2021, 11:37 AM
In other words, pretty much a walk in the park for Serbia. No game changers in this roster at the moment. Galo ir even Hackett could be such, but now it's too thin (too old or too young) at this point. Banchero is a super prospect, 5 stars prospects however. In the future he should be huge force.

It's not oversensitive approach but I think noone here who is realistic thinks that we can destroy Italy. This is a very talented Italian team. Take into consideration that we will play this OQT without Bogdanovic and Jokic. Still I think we are more talented and especially physically a nightmare for them. Besides all they have a lot of offensive talent and a bunch of good shooters so in one game anything can happen.

Italian Pride
06-10-2021, 12:18 PM
I like this roster, but why is Hackett left out? Is Banchero going to be available? Young, but huge talent. Very interesting team IMO, Polonara and Melli are going to bring toughness you lacked in previous years then this kid Mannion is obviously talented and Fontecchio had a very good season with Alba. I also like Pajola from Virtus, lacks shooting but very nice fundamentals. Those are players that were not featured much in previous years but now they are going to bring new dimension to Italian team. Still undersized at 5, but Melli and Polonara are good in both ways and very tough to beat. I think you are going to play the same way like in past years but with addition of more toughness and skill under the basket. Also, do you think Banchero will already get minutes in main rotation? Too bad both Bogdan and Gallo are probably skipping OQT. Nevertheless, I expect much more intense game unlike some previous encounters.

About Banchero i have no idea of his impact at this level,hackett has announced his retirement two years ago

Actually i think the rotation in an hypothehtical final against your nt could be with 8-9 effective players not more,something like this

Mannion-Tonut-Fontecchio-Polonara-Melli
Pajola-Belinelli-Datome-Biligha

After this italian finals maybe giampaolo ricci could get a spot,cause he is playing very well,with solid defense,shootng very well and Sacchetti loves him for his work ethics,so for these reason i think he could call him

Jokic will play in your opinion?

Serbian_Layup
06-10-2021, 12:39 PM
About Banchero i have no idea of his impact at this level,hackett has announced his retirement two years ago

Actually i think the rotation in an hypothehtical final against your nt could be with 8-9 effective players not more,something like this

Mannion-Tonut-Fontecchio-Polonara-Melli
Pajola-Belinelli-Datome-Biligha

After this italian finals maybe giampaolo ricci could get a spot,cause he is playing very well,with solid defense,shootng very well and Sacchetti loves him for his work ethics,so for these reason i think he could call him

Jokic will play in your opinion?

I doubt Jokic will play in OQT. Nuggets will be out of the second round but it would really take huge commitment from Jokic to play as I think he is just exhausted. If we qualify he will play at Olympics.

I watched every game of Virtus-Milano finals and can say that Ricci has been fantastic for Djordjevic and Virtus. He has been hitting everything from outside, very serviceable stretch center.

Italian Pride
06-11-2021, 09:17 AM
I doubt Jokic will play in OQT. Nuggets will be out of the second round but it would really take huge commitment from Jokic to play as I think he is just exhausted. If we qualify he will play at Olympics.

I watched every game of Virtus-Milano finals and can say that Ricci has been fantastic for Djordjevic and Virtus. He has been hitting everything from outside, very serviceable stretch center.

Milutinov will play in tour opinioni?

ChuckDiesel2
06-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Is John Holland playing for Puerto Rico? I remember him giving Serbia problems a few years ago.

reamily
06-11-2021, 04:54 PM
Is John Holland playing for Puerto Rico? I remember him giving Serbia problems a few years ago.

lol John freaking Holland.. sure PBA fans knew him, he was good and energetic he was just given a task to give SMB a Grandslam back then:cool:

ChuckDiesel2
06-11-2021, 05:56 PM
He’s out. Not much of a PR roster but they’re always scrappy.

Katastroika
06-11-2021, 07:25 PM

We won with 40 difference, I've been at the game. Their team looked drunk. Holland most of all :) Good player, though.

ChuckDiesel2
06-11-2021, 11:22 PM
We won with 40 difference, I've been at the game. Their team looked drunk. Holland most of all :) Good player, though.

Yeah I was remembering the 2016 qualifier in Belgrade, the first time I became aware of Holland. Was the only guy on Puerto Rico with a pulse in the first game, was a dud in the rematch. Maybe only “gave Serbia problems” relative to anyone else you faced in that qualifier.

https://youtu.be/bogpDhOeZP8

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/95084/sid/12521/tid/349/tid2//_/2016_FIBA_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament/index.html

Katastroika
06-11-2021, 11:42 PM
Yeah I was remembering the 2016 qualifier in Belgrade, the first time I became aware of Holland. Was the only guy on Puerto Rico with a pulse in the first game, was a dud in the rematch. Maybe only “gave Serbia problems” relative to anyone else you faced in that qualifier.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/95084/sid/12521/tid/349/tid2//_/2016_FIBA_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament/index.html

Not in those qualifiers, bro. We marched through this qualifiers. I remember their squad at warm up. They looked like a Mexican gang in those US B movies (2 heads taller, though). But it was a pleasure to watch Aroyo and Barrea. Their team was way stronger than today. I remember the center, he looked like a video game final boss from the 90's. Can't remind the name at the moment.

ChuckDiesel2
06-11-2021, 11:51 PM
Had to be the legend Peter John Ramos, pictured here on the left.

https://i.imgur.com/ke43VXw.jpg

Katastroika
06-11-2021, 11:55 PM
Had to be the legend Peter John Ramos, pictured here on the left.

https://i.imgur.com/ke43VXw.jpg

There you go :) Exactly this guy.

ncjazz
06-21-2021, 06:03 PM
As we know Bogdanovic will miss the QT, but with Atlanta in the playoffs still and him having knee issues I think there is a pretty good chance he will miss the Olympics if Serbia does qualify.

Serbian_Layup
06-21-2021, 06:27 PM
As we know Bogdanovic will miss the QT, but with Atlanta in the playoffs still and him having knee issues I think there is a pretty good chance he will miss the Olympics if Serbia does qualify.

Yes, it's likely to happen. He already had a tough knee injury (luckily, it's not the same knee this time) this season and missed couple of months. Thinking about long-term it's probably the best for his health to skip Olympics and try to fully recover. Would be the worst thing that could happen to us, but we need to take care of him. He's been incredible for us all these years, has never skipped a single action with NT since 2013.

ChuckDiesel2
06-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Guduric and Lucic are OUT of the Belgrade qualifier with injuries. About that time for the Serbs to naturalize an American. Plenty of great options…

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/1407788805256589313?s=20

Toruko
06-23-2021, 08:04 PM
Guduric and Lucic are OUT of the Belgrade qualifier with injuries. About that time for the Serbs to naturalize an American. Plenty of great options…

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/1407788805256589313?s=20

Forget it. They will never do it.

Katastroika
06-23-2021, 08:08 PM
Whom you'd suggest, Chuck when they are O U T :)? I'd go with Oliver North as the only available sharpshooter in America who is available right now.

Italian Pride
06-23-2021, 09:18 PM
Nedovic will play?

ncjazz
06-23-2021, 09:23 PM
Are there any teams in the OQTs who will have most of their best players? Lithuania maybe?

Shawshank
06-23-2021, 09:40 PM
Are there any teams in the OQTs who will have most of their best players? Lithuania maybe?

We miss 2 euroleague players Gudaitis,Ulanovas they are injured.

Brazdeikis will try to get nba contract this summer so he isnt playing.

But thats all. All others our best players are preparing now for qualification tournament.

Shawshank
06-23-2021, 09:42 PM
when Jokic,Bogdanovich,Lucic,Guduric saying they are out from qualification tournament it means they can rejoin team for Olympics? or all are out for entire summer?

Hepcat
06-23-2021, 09:47 PM
My understanding is that they are still eligible to play in the Olympics. That's how it was in past years.

:)

ChuckDiesel2
06-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Whom you'd suggest, Chuck when they are O U T :)? I'd go with Oliver North as the only available sharpshooter in America who is available right now.

:D I think you’ve proven more than capable of arming yourself without the need for the kind of assistance North would bring.

It seems to me Serbia is in desperate need of perimeter scoring and shot creation, so why not Jordan Lloyd? Familar to the rest of the roster, has probably learned awful things to say about someone’s mother in the native tongue and well acquainted with the rims in Belgrade. It also helps his future Euro career earnings to get that Cyrillic passport.

If you’re set on someone who wouldn’t stand out as much in the team picture I’d go with John Konchar. Serbia has naturalized Serbian Americans in the past for junior tournaments, don’t see what the big deal is about doing the same for a chance to get to the Olympics. Not sure if Konchar can join in the folk singing but he’s scrappy as hell, a good rebounder/defender who can knock down open shots and plays his ass off.

Katastroika
06-24-2021, 05:30 AM
Good point. :)

The problem that Konchar has is that his Serbian is pretty bad, bro. So he'll have a bad time when Teo takes the team to the disco. A guy that would fit here is probably Shaq O'Neal because he is at least teying to speak Serbian properly. The other options I see are either dead or in prison :(

Katastroika
06-24-2021, 06:19 AM
And now seriously. This is a B team of Serbia and I am really not sure how this will look in a few days. Important thing is to qualify and not to play good as we should get more additions of good players after the tournament but Italy has it's chances and Puerto Rico/Dominicans, small ones, too.

Still I am pretty relaxed. I know everyone will give 100 percent but it's a pretty wildly thrown together group of players without clear identity and conception. We will have to rely on talent and defense.

ChuckDiesel2
06-24-2021, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I just really want to see them go through to the Olympics. Makes for a much better competition.

By the way, I was at Hawks/Bucks tonight and Bogdan can hardly move. Really rough watching him hobble around out there and pass up good looks like he’s Ben Simmons. He was in a slump before the injury and right now he has zero confidence. Hawks might be better off sitting him in favor of Tony Snell.

Katastroika
06-24-2021, 06:48 AM
I think injury plays it's role here.

Serbian_Layup
06-24-2021, 07:01 AM
I think Bogdan is playing at his own risk right now. He's been dealing with injury since 76ers series but now it has gotten worse. I'm not optimistic that he will play at Olympics if we get there.

Katastroika
06-24-2021, 07:09 AM
Nor should he if injured. Noone benefits.

Serbian_Layup
06-24-2021, 07:50 AM
John Konchar is interesting. There has been some talk among Serbian media, fans and basketball community about possibility of inviting such players as Kaminsky and Konchar. A lot more noise provoked Kaminsky as Kokoškov said something like he would consider inviting Kaminsky to our NT and Kaminsky himself wasn't against that idea but only in case he would be totally accepted by fans and community (but he wasn't willing to take place of younger talents). It never went further than that because there was an immediate strong negative reaction among fans and I also think most of our current players such as Teo openly criticized that idea (not specifically about Kaminsky but in general).

I don't know what to think about naturalization of players. From Serbian perspective, we have enough talent so we don't really need it. I'm not against giving passports to players like Kaminsky, Konchar who have some ties with us for example. But giving it to random foreigners doesn't seem the right way - it's like you are just hiring mercenaries in a straight business fashion, while we know playing for NT is much more than that. There is also another problem, if you are inviting foreigners it's like you are giving up on younger players and sending them discouraging message. Duda Ivković could ask for help from abroad in 2009 for example leading very, very young team, but instead he gave a big chance to Teo (who wasn't playing much at Oly at that time and was already 22) and he exploded. You just never know who might jump out of nowhere if given a chance. That is in fact the biggest problem I have with naturalization (even more so than blood relations), it would mean we are giving up on young talents without patience to test them and give them a chance, so I figure if that happens at any time I would assume 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark' (replace Denmark with Serbian basketball school :D).

On the other side, our women basketball team already naturalized couple of American players such as Danielle Paige (won GOLD at Eurobasket with Serbian team and I think bronze medal at Olympics in 2016) and now Yvonne Anderson (currently playing with Serbian team at Eurobasket and made it to semifinals last night), so our Federation at least when it comes to women basketball is not against that idea (and you've got to think would we win those medals without Page for example?). I'm not sure the same principle would imply when it comes to men basketball. It would probably take a long period of dryness in terms of talent production to embrace idea of naturalization, which is hard to imagine. But this may look like a double standard though ;)

ncjazz
06-24-2021, 04:51 PM
We miss 2 euroleague players Gudaitis,Ulanovas they are injured.

Brazdeikis will try to get nba contract this summer so he isnt playing.

But thats all. All others our best players are preparing now for qualification tournament.

Thanks. Lithuania will definitely be a threat for the Silver in the Olympics then. By the way Jokic said he is not playing at all this summer and as has been said above Bogdanovic is banged up so I dont think he will play either.

Hepcat
06-24-2021, 05:08 PM
I don't know what to think about naturalization of players. From Serbian perspective, we have enough talent so we don't really need it. I'm not against giving passports to players like Kaminsky, Konchar who have some ties with us for example. But giving it to random foreigners doesn't seem the right way - it's like you are just hiring mercenaries in a straight business fashion, while we know playing for NT is much more than that.

I agree. I'm a supporter of a Team Serbia of, for and by Serbs (no more than one ocean and perhaps a generation removed).

:)

ChuckDiesel2
06-24-2021, 06:54 PM
Let’s be honest, a guy who spent a year living/playing in Serbia has more connection to the country than diaspora from an American suburb who’s never been there. The big difference/determining factor is skin color.

Hepcat
06-24-2021, 07:26 PM
Well I dunno.... If an American of non-Serbian extraction (whether more darkly pigmented or not) was playing in Serbia, learned to speak Serbian, was enraptured by a local beauty, married her and settled down to live in Serbia, I'd say "Well alright". Even if he brought his childhood sweetheart over from Toledo or Grand Rapids and decided to live there in Serbia that would be alright. At least their kids would speak Serbian like natives.

But just playing in Serbia for a year or two with a Serbian repertoire of several swear words? I don't think that's enough.

:confused:

Katastroika
06-24-2021, 08:39 PM
Let’s be honest, a guy who spent a year living/playing in Serbia has more connection to the country than diaspora from an American suburb who’s never been there. The big difference/determining factor is skin color.

That's really bullshit, bro. It's not even about Americans. Personally I feel more connected to African Americams than trailer park white trash from my visits of the states. I would be also against naturalized Estonians and Space Jam Aliens. It's a matter of principle. It's a national team. A team of the nation. In my team and also Partizan all black people ALWAYS were among most beloved players. I'd go to war for Charlie Jenkins.

In Serbia and Lithuania basketball national teams are perceived not just as a sports collective but cultural heritage. If good or not is a different story. I like your way of posting but that perception of racism is truly disappointing and totally wrong.

Hepcat
06-24-2021, 08:58 PM
I agree. There's nothing racist about thinking that the Serbian or Lithuanian national teams should consist of Serbs and Lithuanians respectively. Admittedly there might be a rare instance where a player's nationality is somewhat muddy, but the thinking that the Serbian national team should consist of Serbs isn't racist per se. The thinking is so perfectly natural that I don't understand why it's not intuitive to all.

ChuckDiesel2
06-24-2021, 09:59 PM
I’m not out here calling entire countries racist. I’m more expressing a “that’s how it is.” perspective. The whole point is that if Serbia is ok with Kaminsky/Konchar for some imaginary “cultural” reasons, the only reason they’d be opposed to Jordan Lloyd/Charles Jenkins is skin color. I understand the “no naturalizations under any circumstances” stance but it gets murky when you get into who can and can’t be naturalized. Agree to disagree.

reamily
06-24-2021, 11:56 PM
I’m not out here calling entire countries racist. I’m more expressing a “that’s how it is.” perspective. The whole point is that if Serbia is ok with Kaminsky/Konchar for some imaginary “cultural” reasons, the only reason they’d be opposed to Jordan Lloyd/Charles Jenkins is skin color. I understand the “no naturalizations under any circumstances” stance but it gets murky when you get into who can and can’t be naturalized. Agree to disagree.

Filipinos living in the US, their in born Filipino culture no matter how little it is, isnt imaginary, so it not right to tell other people culture just living on other country as "imaginary".

ChuckDiesel2
06-25-2021, 12:51 AM
I’d argue the level to which culture becomes imaginary varies on a case by case basis, but I don’t want to continue to derail what should be a good basketball conversation. Anyway, that Miroslav Radjulica sure has some nice post moves…

Italian Pride
06-25-2021, 08:21 AM
14 italian players will travel to Belgrade

When the final roster have to be announced?48 hours before the first game or the day before?

Italian Pride
06-25-2021, 08:22 AM
14 italian players will travel to Belgrade

When the final roster have to be announced?48 hours before the first game or the day before?

Furkan Korkmaz
06-28-2021, 09:41 AM

That’s just the perspective of a couple people, if push came to shove Serbs would be okay with black naturalized too. Ironically as you guys have this argument Serbia just won the womens Eurobasket with one of their top player being an African American. She has never even lived or played in Serbia either. They also tried to naturalize a black female volleyball player. Their male basketball team doesn’t need a naturalization and there’s no good candidate, but if there was, trust me their federation would also naturalize them in a heartbeat. This whole “oh no we have morals, naturalization is unacceptable, holier-than-thou” attitude is just a stick they use to beat teams that have naturalized. But look at Greece, while their fans also complain about naturalization of Turkey for example, they have a Portuguese playing in their mens football, and that sport is even more popular than basketball in their country. Trust me, anyone has a right to use the naturalization rule, and anyone will do it if the circumstances are favorable. I’ve never seen those complaining Greeks reject their own national team in football because of a naturalization ; ).

reamily
06-28-2021, 09:53 AM
Youre lucky that you travelled with 14 guys. We travelled with 12 questioning where the slots for the players have gone to?

Dirtyh
06-28-2021, 11:02 AM
Countries should have better naturalize laws. fe Jamar Wilson moved to Finland in 2010, married finnish, got kids, learnt language pretty well and is still living here. Most likely will do after his career too. It took 5 years to him get passport. Every country should have laws like we have. I'm not against naturalized players, Jamar is representing same things that I'm reprenting. But I'm really against Fiba's rule where foreing players comes and goes. There should be somekind of quarantine for those players. Maybe 3 year quarantine would do the trick.

In today world there's always people like Nikos Galis, Domantas Sabonis or Nikola Vucevic. But in those cases I guess it was very clear what national team they want to represent.

ChuckDiesel2
06-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Senegal is OUT of the Belgrade qualifier due to “Covid related disruptions.” Pretty big break for Italy and Puerto Rico, who are now awarded forfeits and go straight to the semifinals without playing a game.

https://twitter.com/bytimreynolds/status/1409546552654368770?s=21

Dtown
06-29-2021, 10:41 AM
Senegal is OUT of the Belgrade qualifier due to “Covid related disruptions.” Pretty big break for Italy and Puerto Rico, who are now awarded forfeits and go straight to the semifinals without playing a game.

https://twitter.com/bytimreynolds/status/1409546552654368770?s=21

Agreed on the big break for those two, while I gave Senegal no shot at winning this tournament, I felt they had a legit shot at upsetting either Puerto Rico or Italy.

reamily
06-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Agreed on the big break for those two, while I gave Senegal no shot at winning this tournament, I felt they had a legit shot at upsetting either Puerto Rico or Italy.

And to think Senegal has been a favorite by Asian teams to upset to (Philippines and Jordan in 2019).. and I knew Senegal can be a handy to anyone in this field outside serbia

Serbian_Layup
06-29-2021, 06:38 PM
Watching Teo/Petrusev high p&r is a thing of beauty. Petrusev is such a quick roller, gonna have a blast playing with Teo.

Toruko
06-29-2021, 06:43 PM
Solano broke the rim. Really fun game! Bravo momci!

Toruko
06-29-2021, 06:54 PM
What a pitty that KAT doesnt play for his home country. This team is really fun but there is no big who could handle the bobinator or Petrusev.

Shawshank
06-29-2021, 06:59 PM
serbians playing half walking without no energy what so ever as it would friendly game.

Serbian players it seems thought they gonna come with their names and blow them away.

At some point those famous names have to start running if they want to win :)

Katastroika
06-29-2021, 07:10 PM
serbians playing half walking without no energy what so ever as it would friendly game.

Serbian players it seems thought they gonna come with their names and blow them away.

At some point those famous names have to start running if they want to win :)

Agree. But if this names are "famous" I have to say that non famous at least try :)

Shawshank
06-29-2021, 07:36 PM
Dominicans had good training week in Lithuania 2 games versus LTU and one versus Russia its seems they learned few things :)

Dtown
06-29-2021, 07:39 PM
67-66 Serbia, game is far closer than I was expecting.

reamily
06-29-2021, 07:40 PM
Serbia shouldve been behind by 20 with the way they playing, although its agood test against an latin america team

Toruko
06-29-2021, 07:40 PM
It probably wont be enough to beat Serbia since the difference in the painted area is too big but nice game.

Toruko
06-29-2021, 07:46 PM
it probably wont be enough to beat serbia since the difference in the painted area is too big but nice game.

q.e.d.

Katastroika
06-29-2021, 08:12 PM
I understand Kokoskov that he has cut roles of Avramovic and Dobric because Teo and Micic are way better players but they were our best players in preparations. But Dobric and Avramovic played good today. Our federation gambles a lot in this qualifiers and gambled a lot in preparations. The outcome is a game like tonight where nothing was working.

Other things shouldn't be even analyzed as this team played first time together. I expect better performance tomorrow against Philipines.

Rebounding, help defense were horrible but it's usually a thing of automatisms, free throw percentage horrible. I think that Kokoskov brought a lot of nervous mechanisms into this game with his exhibition 5 at beginning of 2nd quarter. We have not enough quality for experiments in this tournaments and this was a very welcome punch to Igor and his staff.

The difference maker wasn't like 24/7 experts here said Bobi & Petrusev but adaption of Serbia in defense and inability of Dominicans to attack a zone properly not just properly, they haven't a clue what to do and were constantly cutting on base line and passing from A to B to C and vice versa and taking shots over 4 hands at the end. Ironic people could say that Igor copied Dallas in playoffs with Bobi, cynical people could say he pushed the rescue button in game 1. It's funny that the most simple receipe of all broke the confidence of the Latinos who played a very good game, played hard on edge of fair play (like it should be - just to get me right) and as game moved on in 3 quarters they hit more and more difficult shots. Usually this game can go either way but physical advantages prevailed.

Hepcat
06-29-2021, 08:55 PM
The difference maker wasn't like 24/7 experts here said Bobi & Petrusev but adaption of Serbia in defense and inability of Dominicans to attack a zone properly not just properly, they haven't a clue what to do and were constantly cutting on base line and passing from A to B to C and vice versa and taking shots over 4 hands at the end. Ironic people could say that Igor copied Dallas in playoffs with Bobi....

So you're saying that Serbia switched to a zone defence with Boban Marjanović down low by the basket at the start of the fourth quarter when Serbia finally took control of the game?

Katastroika
06-29-2021, 09:06 PM
I don't say that - it was like that. Desperation move that worked out well for Kokoškov. We switched back on man to man when Petrušev entered.

Hepcat
06-30-2021, 02:08 AM
Hmmmmm. So Serbia has the biggest baddest intimidator of them all playing in Belgrade (or Split or anywhere right now) and Coach Igor Kokoškov had him playing some defence where he had to switch off and chase down guards already cutting toward the basket?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7RCVd6bFV8

Doesn't exactly make any sense to me. You would think at this level a zone defence would be part of a coach's/team's normal bag of tricks instead of some "desperation" move. It worked quite well against the Dominican Republic who utilize what appear to be typical NBA offensive sets.

JGX
06-30-2021, 06:50 PM
Amateur Philippines team playing way better against Serbia than the Pro Philippines team.

JGX
06-30-2021, 07:53 PM
Man, the Pinoys could have pulled off a legendary upset if they hadn't bricked some wide open threes in the final minutes.

reamily
06-30-2021, 07:54 PM
Man, the Pinoys could have pulled off a legendary upset if they hadn't bricked some wide open threes in the final minutes.

:cool:..thats our team...I can comment on it after the tournament

Katastroika
06-30-2021, 08:04 PM
Decision of Kokoskov to rest Kalinic, Bjelica and Micic in such an important game is not responsible. Jovic's injury could be game changer for Italy. I have no clue how we could compensate this - all we have now is to hope that he'll be ready at least until the final game.

And of course congratulations to Philippines for a good game.

judasmartel
06-30-2021, 08:08 PM
Decision of Kokoskov to rest Kalinic, Bjelica and Micic in such an important game is not responsible. Jovic's injury could be game changer for Italy. I have no clue how we could compensate this - all we have now is to hope that he'll be ready at least until the final game.

You're still too good even with those three sitting out, and plus you have home court. Boban was just eating us up inside.

Get well soon, Jovic!

Man, this OQT has been crazy for me so far. We still have yet to see China later but the other Asian teams in the tournament, Korea and the Philippines, are competitive in their games today.

Katastroika
06-30-2021, 08:10 PM
You're still too good even with those three sitting out, and plus you have home court. Boban was just eating us up inside.

Get well soon, Jovic!

Man, this OQT has been crazy for me so far. We still have yet to see China later but the other Asian teams in the tournament, Korea and the Philippines, are competitive in their games today.

This has not to bother you - who knows, maybe we would have been worse with those players. I just don't understand the conceptional decision. You have played a great game and if you would have won it would have been deserved.

reamily
06-30-2021, 08:41 PM
But who knows also this might be the best opposition you have this tournament, not saying that you will meet us again but it will make you more ready against italy or puerto rico

It has an advantage to have a young team, they follow what coaches instruct compare to the much fancied pros.

Back on this game, kouame got some extra points part of it because sercia doesnt have extra bigs to cover up boba and petrusev resulting to some easy points

Katastroika
06-30-2021, 08:56 PM
But who knows also this might be the best opposition you have this tournament, not saying that you will meet us again but it will make you more ready against italy or puerto rico

We are really not in the position to threaten anyone in this tournament. On the other hand no beauty prices have been won in 2016 either in the qualifiers and the outcome was positive. We miss too much quality in this qualifiers to look good. It's not about opposition because we have to look in first spot about ourselves - but about executing and staying disciplined - no major and crucial developments can be expected in the next 4 days. First one is okay, second one is horrible until now and we have two days to train (hopefully) all together and build some cohesion. Serbia plays every game in a different lineup and with all the injury absences logic tells that you cannot look good.

I respect always all opponents but seriously I think both teams (Filos and our team) have forgotten this game already - they should at least. It's too much games in too short period. You have literally no time for adaptions or implementing something now. If you analyze game today Philippines played same game like Dominican Republic and have hurt us with same things constantly attacking Boban and Petrusev (in different ways, but still). Serbia on other hand tried to stretch, spread and gain position under basket which worked well. No fast pace, no transition, it's simply lack of automatisms if you have teams that aren't playing together constantly. You have to try to score easily and be at least annoying and energetic in 1 on 1 defense. Best example was that Philippines surely prepared for Serbian zone and also had (!) good ideas for beating it (high low or PF coming up at free throw line and trying to find rotating player under basket - most easy set to beat a zone) but couldn't execute. You cannot blame guys when they recognize situations good but fail to execute and throw ball in the stands because they can't find passing lane. People who have never played this game don't understand how important it is to have minutes together in the court and gain some automatisms.

Still, to not annoy you with too long post, I think we have good chances to qualify because we are playing Puerto Rico and Italy and not Team USA. But that some things are hard to watch, they are.

reamily
06-30-2021, 09:07 PM
We are really not in the position to threaten anyone in this tournament. On the other hand no beauty prices have been won in 2016 either in the qualifiers and the outcome was positive. We miss too much quality in this qualifiers to look good. It's not about opposition because we have to look in first spot about ourselves - but about executing and staying disciplined - no major and crucial developments can be expected in the next 4 days. First one is okay, second one is horrible until now and we have two days to train (hopefully) all together and build some cohesion. Serbia plays every game in a different lineup and with all the injury absences logic tells that you cannot look good.

I respect always all opponents but seriously I think both teams (Filos and our team) have forgotten this game already - they should at least. It's too much games in too short period. You have literally no time for adaptions or implementing something now. If you analyze game today Philippines played same game like Dominican Republic and have hurt us with same things constantly attacking Boban and Petrusev (in different ways, but still). Serbia on other hand tried to stretch, spread and gain position under basket which worked well. No fast pace, no transition, it's simply lack of automatisms if you have teams that aren't playing together constantly. You have to try to score easily and be at least annoying and energetic in 1 on 1 defense. Best example was that Philippines surely prepared for Serbian zone and also had (!) good ideas for beating it (high low or PF coming up at free throw line and trying to find rotating player under basket - most easy set to beat a zone) but couldn't execute. You cannot blame guys when they recognize situations good but fail to execute and throw ball in the stands because they can't find passing lane. People who have never played this game don't understand how important it is to have minutes together in the court and gain some automatisms.

Still, to not annoy you with too long post, I think we have good chances to qualify because we are playing Puerto Rico and Italy and not Team USA. But that some things are hard to watch, they are.

No worries on it, but just ask one question. I think there is quite anumber of players who arent in the lineup in this tournament (Lucic, Guduric(being a kokoskov guy, Milutinov and Nedovic) isnt in the lineup.. are they really out for the pool for olympics and Im not talking about Bogi and Jokic yet so thats practically 6 guys plus 3 mainstays that didnt play against us..

Katastroika
06-30-2021, 09:13 PM
As far as we are informed in Serbia Lucic, Bogdanovic, Guduric, Nedovic, Milutinov are in conversation of making Olympic spot - of course if we qualify. And most probably 4 of 5 will make the trip if finally healthy.

reamily
06-30-2021, 09:15 PM
As far as we are informed in Serbia Lucic, Bogdanovic, Guduric, Nedovic, Milutinov are in conversation of making Olympic spot - of course if we qualify. And most probably 4 of 5 will make the trip if finally healthy.

now thats a problem it seems like you have a different team in acropolis cup, in this oqt and for olympics

Katastroika
06-30-2021, 09:24 PM
now thats a problem it seems like you have a different team in acropolis cup, in this oqt and for olympics

Yeah - we have to qualify first if speaking about Olympics. But it's the same for all teams, not just for us. We have what we have and we have to make the best out of it. Has been like that always :)

Italian Pride
06-30-2021, 10:13 PM
what's up with jovic?

judasmartel
06-30-2021, 11:53 PM
what's up with jovic?

He got hurt in their earlier game vs the Philippines. Must be his knees.

Serbian_Layup
07-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Serbia looked way better at Acropolis cup. The same pattern happened vs Philippines just like in the game vs Dominican Republic. They build a double digit lead in the first five minutes of the game and they kind of start thinking opponent will surrender and officials can call a game over. Terrible mental approach, and I'm kind of sorry that Philippines or Dominican Republic didn't give us a huge slap in the face. There is one thing about Kokoškov that's becoming a weakness - he is all strictly business, he will call a timeout then he will calmly say perfectly everything that has to be improved in our game and draw perfect plays, but there is just time when you need to get pissed at your players for not respecting the game and not showing willing moment. In that regard, Kokoškov is different than any of our past coaches, and I'm actually very pleased with his calm composure (it's nice to see that from our coach for a change ;)) but sometimes you just need to shout because it comes to the point it has nothing to do with tactics or drawing plays.

There is a lot of bad things in our game, but I don't know to what extent they are for real because when there is no commitment and willing moment, everything will look bad. But nevertheless, it's clear that some pairings won't be good like Teo/Andjusic in the backcourt, it presents a real challenge defensively, especially with Marjanović and Petrušev at C (as good as Petrušev is at positioning and rolling offensively, he is just as bad defensively. He has mobility but he doesn't know how to use it to his strength). Trouble is we will have to rely heavily on Marjanović whose conditioning can never be good enough to play continuously 20+ minutes a game and didn't even play anything substantial in the last couple of years (in ideal world he wouldn't be playing more than 10-15 minutes in short stretches). So lots of weaknesses and the only way to overcome them is to play with huge energy and more discipline. I'm surprised Kokoškov is not trying to play all 5 out with Petrušev at C. That could give us more versatility offensively and make it easier for our guards to slash and drive. So far Petrušev is exclusively used as a rolling big and screener.

To be fair, our team just looks exhausted, without energy and dealing with so many injuries. Olympics are at stake so I expect a lot more engagement and much better play in the last two games. Again, we looked so much better at Acropolis cup.

Shawshank
07-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Italian ginger really fascinating guard to watch i like his playing style .

Being Currys sparing partner such players learns few tricks.

I think he is favourite at the end of the year to win Brian Scalabrine award.

Obina
07-04-2021, 07:46 PM
Congrats to Italy.

This is worst serbian team ever. No defence, no chemistry, remind me on some old bad times...

Toruko
07-04-2021, 07:59 PM
No host made it to the Olympics. Serbia is out and Germany goes to Tokyo unbelievable

Shawshank
07-04-2021, 08:26 PM
No more loosers selfish scorers ale Bargnani,Belineli,Gentile types and we again see like in 1998-2004 togetherness in Italy NT.

Now question will italians will risk bringing Galinari for Olympics ?

Congrats Italy.

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 08:29 PM
I dont remember to have seen such an unorganized Serbian team in my whole life time. What a pitty for them but Congrats to Italy.

Hepcat
07-04-2021, 08:39 PM
So none of the four home teams could get the job done....

:eek:

Nemanja95
07-04-2021, 09:07 PM
Congrats to the Italians, deserved win for them, great play, excellent prepared and organized. On the other hand, we played disaster in all senses. Completely disaster ! Physically, tactically, psychologically... We underestimated Italy,what is shame. Paiola stopped Teodosic, both of them play for same club. Fontecchio, Polonara and Tonut are specific players, tonight they looked marvelous. Defensively we did not do nothing. They can preparing shoots without problems and also often to catch rebound also without distractions. Offensively we did not have response on aggressive play on perimeter. Teodosic, Bjelica and Marjanovic were disastrous, especially defensively. On the finish,we cannot neither accept lose with dignity.

Dtown
07-04-2021, 09:33 PM
Congrats to Italy, though this was both surprising and not surprising. Serbia hadn't looked right, and looked vulnerable all tournament.

Arsonist
07-04-2021, 10:31 PM
Italy came for everything, it is the worst game I have seen from Serbia and just when they needed to play their best game, maybe they lacked a certain Jokic.

Incredible that the 4 participating countries and organizers of the Olympic qualifying tournament were eliminated, with very good teams but they lacked the character to win the final game in the case of Lithuania and Serbia, because Canada and Croatia were eliminated much earlier, these tournaments are not easy, they require preparation and many elements that are important details in the game for the best performance.

Another case is that of Brazil who were playing great basketball, they could not beat Germany in the final game, these tournaments must be watched carefully and learn from both victories and defeats to know what we are missing and what resources should be added in each of the combined teams of each country for the restructuring of national teams.

It is a great failure for teams with tradition of attending high competitions to have been left out as Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, even Brazil, Canada is another story, something they will have to analyze, but they will know that as I mentioned that this level is not easy and you must assemble the best team you can along with other factors that are fundamental.

reamily
07-05-2021, 12:23 AM
Serbias known advantage, going big to set the tone was absent when they gone with this lineup neutralized as biban was big liability on defense.. Petrusev was young and whose next big? Bjelica who had big balls and cant defend can operate inside..Only positive for serbia moving forward is that they can go small but in spurts only

reamily
07-05-2021, 03:03 AM
I dont remember to have seen such an unorganized Serbian team in my whole life time. What a pitty for them but Congrats to Italy.

What kill serbia imo is the lack of continuity, we can critic how old spain was with gasol reyes and company but they still same old team every year, ditto for australia and france for serbia they still see new talent come in and therefore the change of talent in their nt was so frequent..i only see kalinic in nt again after 2016..

Obina
07-05-2021, 06:07 AM
Serbias known advantage, going big to set the tone was absent when they gone with this lineup neutralized as biban was big liability on defense.. Petrusev was young and whose next big? Bjelica who had big balls and cant defend can operate inside..Only positive for serbia moving forward is that they can go small but in spurts only

Milutinov. He is the best C after Jokic. Petrusev is a great talent but still too soft and Marjanovic is a hole.

This is a disaster for serbian bball and we will see if Kokoskov stays.

Even without Jokic this team has a quality for medal on every tournament. I think we are missing more Bogdanovic and Milutinov than Jokic. Even Lucic and Jovic could help a lot in defense.

ChuckDiesel2
07-05-2021, 06:50 AM
Not even his leprechaun curious Nonna would've predicted Nico Manion end up the best point guard in Belgrade. Impressive as hell for a 20 year old. Italian/American/Drop of troll's blood=Big meatballs. Respect.

As for Serbia, all I'll say is their post game press conference was a trip. Someone evidently topped to a crash just after Coach Igor scolded the Italians for their lack of class. The host (Jeff Taylor) had to stop the proceedings and ask someone if they were alright before Bjelica continued in take responsibility in full on Serbian Eeyore confusion.

Katastroika
07-05-2021, 06:51 AM
I expected this loss - honestly. Everything is mentioned. Italy went in concentrated, focussed and executed easy game plan - as first shots were falling this game was literally over.

Besides all I think that we may not make mistake not to clean the closet after this. A lot of things went wrong in this tournament and we looked like teams that we usually beat with 20.

Finally - totally deserved win of Italy, congratulations to Italian friends and best of luck for the Olympics.

POP1984
07-09-2021, 10:37 AM
The problem with the Serbian team is systematic. It goes much deeper than just this one loss against Italy. If you look at the losses of the Serbian national team over the last couple of years, you will see a very constant factor. There is an excellent article about that systematic problem written here https://www.latestbasketballnews.com/the-meltdown-of-the-serbian-basketball-school/

Katastroika
07-09-2021, 02:12 PM
This article is wrong from the beginning.

Serbian school in last 15 years always chose athleticism (accelerantism) over skill. Always and exclusively. So from start away the initial statement creates a wrong conclusion. And where for God's sake Serbian youth basketball is "very successful"? Poorly recherced, a lot of phrases. Generally I agree that all teams can beat Serbia in Eurobasket from this group but the stigma that we are outsiders next year (depends on roster of course) is also amusing :)