PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CROATIA

Levenspiel
12-18-2019, 09:10 AM
The tournament will be held in Split, Croatia between June 23-28, 2020.

Group
Team
Qualification
FIBA World Ranking

A
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_national_basketball_team)
18th at the 2019 WC
18th

A
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Russia.svg/23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_national_basketball_team)
12th at the 2019 WC
9th

A
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Flag_of_Mexico.svg/23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_national_basketball_team)
Wild Card
25th

B
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Flag_of_Croatia.svg/23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia_national_basketball_team)
Wild Card
14th

B
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Flag_of_Brazil.svg/22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_national_basketball_team)
13th at the 2019 WC
11th

B
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Flag_of_Tunisia.svg/23px-Flag_of_Tunisia.svg.png Tunisia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisia_national_basketball_team)
20th at the 2019 WC
33rd

The first two teams of each group qualifies, and play each other to reach the final. The winner of the final goes to the Olympics.

Dtown
02-24-2020, 02:30 AM
I honestly think this is the most open group. I could see Croatia, Germany, Brazil, Russia, and yeah even Mexico coming out of this. Croatia's got the home court so that makes me think they'll have a slight edge.

journorias
08-22-2020, 02:46 PM
CAN MAKE THE OTHER TEAM PLAY "HONEST DEFENSE"

The ability to make a 3 point shot gives you three abilities in the offense. You get an ample space where the bigger player in your team can play under the basket. Your playmaking guards get the seam they need to drive the ball to the basket. But most importantly, the other team needs to play honest defense because the 3 point acts as a punishment to them for giving too much space to the shooter.
The strength of the team comes from having a multi-skilled guard who can shoot 3 and drive the ball as well. This way, they can post the feed and penetrate at the same time to make the score.

Mindozas
05-22-2021, 04:51 PM
Brazil coach Aleksandar Petrovic announced 25 name roster for qualies. As always some long living veterans, few NBAers, few ACB players, some local league stars. They can compose quite interesting roster again and maybe make some noise like in 2019, as always they are a bit unpredictable team, can beat some favs, can lose to some underdogs

Anderson Varejão
Augusto Lima
Alexey Borges
Alex Garcia
Bruno Caboclo
Cristiano Felício
Caio Pacheco
Didi Louzada
Guilherme Santos
George de Paula
Jhonatan Luz
Lucas Dias
Lucas Mariano
Léo Demétrio
Léo Meindl
Márcio Henrique
Marquinhos
Marcelinho Huertas
Raulzinho
Rafael Luz
Rafael Hetsheimeir
Rafael Mineiro
Scott Machado
Vitor Benite
Yago dos Santos

ChuckDiesel2
05-27-2021, 07:49 PM
Unfamiliar with anyone on the Croatian squad who didn’t play in Rio or the NBA, which is most of them. Anyone have thoughts? Kind of intrigued by Dominik Mavra based on some very cursory browsing.

guilherme.rcf
05-28-2021, 12:43 AM
We have no chance at all.

Katastroika
05-29-2021, 06:51 AM
UKIĆ Roko Leni – Split
ROGIĆ Roko – Mitteldeutscher BC
KATIĆ Toni – Dinamo Sassari
GNJIDIĆ Lovro – Cibona
KRUŠLIN Filip – Dinamo Sassari
SIMON Krunoslav – Anadolu Efes
DREŽNJAK Mateo – Cibona
JORDANO Antonio – Zadar
PERKOVIĆ Toni – Split
TIŠMA Boris – Real Betis (Real Madrid)
BOGDANOVIĆ Bojan – Utah Jazz
HEZONJA Mario – Panathinaikos Athens
MARČINKOVIĆ Pavle – Split
RAMLJAK Ivan – Slask Wroclaw
GABRIĆ Tomislav – Baskets Oldenburg
PERASOVIĆ Ivan – Split
ŠAKIĆ Željko – Avtodor Saratov
BENDER Dragan – Maccabi Tel Aviv
BILAN Miro -Dinamo Sassari
PLANINIĆ Darko – Cibona
ŠARIĆ Dario – Phoenix Suns
ZUBAC Ivica – LA Clippers
ŽIŽIĆ Ante Toni – Maccabi Tel Aviv

Ukic - Simon - Bogdanovic - Saric - Zubac sounds like a good starting five. Maybe less mobile and physical than other teams but somehow talented and with potential for grind also (what Croatia lacks a little the last years). Surprise for me is that Prkacin isn't on the list. Also on the bench a lot of young talents and with Miro Bilan one of best players of Italy this year, duo from Maccabi etc. A team that really can achieve something if they finally build some cohesion and define their proper roles internally. But as it seems the circus already begun because some players are not happy that Hezonja has been invited. Split is a very hot ground for a tournament, if there are spectators of course - but one of hottest in all word 100%. If Croatia wants to achieve something they will have to stick their asses together and build a group and yeah, Bogdanovic should be alpha and omega of this group. Biggest gap is playmaker of international quality, everything else is there. In theory a great team that maybe lacks a little physicality and potential to go uptempo. But highely talented roster. All the best for Croatia. We all can hope that they make the next step and their fans would deserve it.

Mindozas
05-31-2021, 10:24 AM
Here comes Mexican extended list. If I didn't miss anyone, there are all the best players available: starting with GSW's Juan Toscano, legendary veteran Gustavo Ayon, former NBA guard now playing in Europe Jorge Gutierrez, other European based guys who should lead the team like Alex Perez, Francisco Cruz

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E17hxThWYAgRvHv.jpg

Katastroika
05-31-2021, 10:52 AM
Great South American rosters both Uruguaian and Mexican.

I am happy we will play Mexico in Athens. As far as I remember we never played them last 30 years but I love their sports culture a lot. Can't wait.

Mindo, thanks for sharing this rosters with us. Updates are great.

Mindozas
05-31-2021, 11:16 AM
Great South American rosters both Uruguaian and Mexican.

I am happy we will play Mexico in Athens. As far as I remember we never played them last 30 years but I love their sports culture a lot. Can't wait.

Mindo, thanks for sharing this rosters with us. Updates are great.

No probs, mate :) You added up Balkan stuff, I can do some Latino. The more info we have, the better. Can't wait for it all to start :) And yeah, Mexico is quite rare guest on world wide bball scene, but they are surely not pushovers, we played them in 2014 world cup and it was far from an easy game, it took time for us to break them. Sure, Don Gustavo was younger, but I think they might be pain in the ass if they'll get the best roster possible. Btw, their group rivals Russia also announced the list yesterday:

Khvostov (Zenit), M.Kulagin (Enisey), Strebkov (N.Novgorod), Kardanakhishvili (CSKA-2), Umrikhin (CSKA-2)
D.Kulagin (without club), Ukhov (CSKA), Baburin (N.Novgorod), Komolov (N.Novgorod), Motovilov (Kuban)
Kurbanov (CSKA), Astapkovich (N.Novgorod), Kvitkovskyh (Avtodor)
Vorontsevich (N.Novgorod), Zubkov (Zenit), Antonov (CSKA), Valyev (Khimki), Gafurov (CSKA-2)
Bolomboy (CSKA), Mozgov (Khimki), Ivlev (Parma), Gontar (N.Novgorod)

No Shved as expected, no Karasev, probably also decided to rest as it was injury plagued season, no veterans like Fridzon, a bit surprisingly to me that some Zaytsev wasn't called up, he did really well in Khimki with Shved out. But there's Mozgov, who was back and played with Khimki lately. Interesting how D.Kulagin will look like who skipped all season, he suppose to be one of the key guys there

Katastroika
05-31-2021, 11:22 AM
Since I follow basketball I cannot remeber a weaker Russia nominally and I follow since USSR times (which were of course another dimension).

With this team I cannot think that they will make it in very tough Croatian tournament.

Mindozas
05-31-2021, 11:52 AM
Since I follow basketball I cannot remeber a weaker Russia nominally and I follow since USSR times (which were of course another dimension).

With this team I cannot think that they will make it in very tough Croatian tournament.

Yeah, thats weak, to me it's between 2019 and this roster as the worst one. In 2019 they had no proper PG, two guys from 2nd Russian division, no C so Vorontsevich had to play as one, Karasev totally out of shape. But this roster can match it. Only good thing for them could be all that NN crew, that was a club with probably only 1 foreigner, Russians had lot of playing time, which is very rare thing to happen. And they made it to BCL final stage, gave a good fight to CSKA in VTB, even snatching one game. But that's probably only one positive thing and hardly will be enough

Toruko
05-31-2021, 12:27 PM
Yeah this happens if you dont let a young russian prospect play in the Russian VTB. Russia maybe havent reached much in the youth tournaments in the last decade but they always had competitive teams and promising prospect like Nikita Mikhailovski, Alexander Shashkov, Pavel Savkov and my boi Iaroslav Niagu who made a huge jump this season but most of the hasnt been playing.

Maybe the Russian guys should follow the Turkish path and go to weaker leagues where they can take bigger roles and more responsibility.

Mindozas
06-03-2021, 10:28 AM
Tunisia will start 2nd phase of preparations soon, Dirk Bauermann announced the list of 17 players that will join in. As always all the veterans are there, some already 40yo. Salah Mejri should join as well. Still no Michael Roll of course, but not sure if he will join at all

https://www.ftbb.org.tn/liste-des-joueurs-convoques-%f0%9f%87%b9%f0%9f%87%b3-pour-le-deuxieme-stage-de-preparation/

Mindozas
06-03-2021, 11:37 AM
Brazil's coach Aco Petrovic travels to Europe with 17 players. Didi who had a stint with New Orleans in NBA asked not to be invited, the same like Gui Santos. Then other players left out were Augusto Lima, Scott Machado, Alexey Borges, Jhonatan Luz, Rafael Mineiro and Marcio Henrique. These are 17 remaining:

Marcelo Huertas (Tenerife,SPA), Rafa Luz (Nevezis,LTU), Yago dos Santos (Flamengo)
Raul Neto (Wizards,NBA), Vitor Benite (Burgos,SPA), Georginho (Sao Paulo), Caio Pacheco (Bahia,ARG)
Marquinhos (Flamengo), Leo Meindl (Fuenlabrada,SPA), Alex Garcia (Bauru)
Bruno Caboclo (Limoges,FRA), Leo Demetrio (Flamengo), Lucas Dias (Franca)
Anderson Varejao (Cavaliers,NBA), Cristiano Felicio (Bulls,NBA), Rafa Hettsheimeir (Flamengo), Lucas Mariano (Sao Paulo)

Mindozas
06-03-2021, 04:36 PM
Dragan Bender got seriously injured in Israeli league game and is out for OQT. Quite a loss for Croatia, especially if Saric and Zubac will still be in NBA PO

Shawshank
06-09-2021, 05:11 AM
Croatian fans must get really pissed watching nba playoofs 2021. In any other year seeing their best players Bogdanovich (Jazz) and Saric (Suns) meeting in confe finals would be a joy ,but not this year.

Jazz and Suns have 1-0 leads in their serries and their teams all year long 1 and 2 seed teams in west and so far showing that in playoofs too.

Croatia have very little chance winning tournament if no Bogdanovich and Saric.

I believe Bogdanovich is as important to Croatia and Doncic is to Slovenia.

They maybe could survive without Saric,but not without Bogs 25pts every game.

thiago94
06-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Danilo Barthel (Fenerbahce Istanbul/Türkei), Robin Benzing (Casademont Saragossa/Spanien), Isaac Bonga (Washington Wizards), Niels Giffey, Maodo Lo, Johannes Thiemann (alle Alba Berlin), Philipp Herkenhoff (Rasta Vechta), Justus Hollatz (Hamburg Towers), Leon Kratzer (Telekom Baskets Bonn), Andreas Obst (ratiopharm Ulm), Joshiko Saibou (Champagne Basket Reims/Frankreich), Dennis Schröder (Los Angeles Lakers), Johannes Voigtmann (ZSKA Moskau), Moritz Wagner (Orlando Magic), Lukas Wank (Löwen Braunschweig), Jan-Niklas Wimberg (Niners Chemnitz)

PG Schröder/Lo/Hollatz/Wank
SG Obst/Giffey/Saibou
SF Benzing/Bonga/(Giffey)
PF Barthel/Wagner/Herkenhoff/Wimberg
C Voigtmann/Thiemann/Kratzer

Zipser, Jallow, Sengfelder, Kleber and Pleiss are injured. Theis and Hartentein skipped in favor of their next contract. I better hide my honest opinion to that. All in all does our roster look average at best and it seriously lacks defense.

Katastroika
06-12-2021, 10:27 AM
Has Pleiss been contacted by your federation? I remember they had some beef when he avoided playing for Germany?
Really a pitty, Germany could have a great team this summer, this is still a team that can cause trouble to everyone.

PS: Is Thiemann better than Zirbes?! I doubt that really from what I've seen.

thiago94
06-12-2021, 11:19 AM
Has Pleiss been contacted by your federation? I remember they had some beef when he avoided playing for Germany?
Really a pitty, Germany could have a great team this summer, this is still a team that can cause trouble to everyone.

PS: Is Thiemann better than Zirbes?! I doubt that really from what I've seen.

Yeah they have actually contacted Pleiss. Thats something I am really glad about. Pleiss left the national team five years ago as he had a legit opportunity to receive a NBA contract. I was also mad at him, but I think enough time has passed to forgive.

From what I have seen of Zirbes and Thiemann over the last couple of years I don´t have to think for a second who earns his spot. No wonder as Zirbes has not played serious basketball recently. Moreover Thiemann is one of our better defenders and can stretch the floor, something what is crucial with Schröder and Lo at the point guard position. I am not objective though as I have never liked Zirbes, meanwhile Thiemann is from Bamberg and I used to know some people who knows him since he has made his first steps on the court. Anyway there is a consensus in the german basketball bubble about the nomination of Thiemann.

Hollatz is a great prospect at a position we lack quality and depth. Normally he is not ready to perform at such a stage, but I like his fearless mindset and his eagerness to become a better player. He really is a smart kid and clever player and I am looking forward to see him improve over the next years. Obst played a great season and has definitely the potential to be a factor this summer. His shooting performance in this season was unreal and he finally made the transition from a pure shooter to a more all around scorer. I am really excited to see him perform on such a high level. Herkenhoff was injured most time of the season, but he has been in a good shape recently and should be able contribute some valuable minutes to support our frontcourt. The rest of the team should be known.

ChuckDiesel2
06-20-2021, 04:04 PM
Obviously huge for Croatia that Bojan has committed. Will be the best player at the Split tournament by a wide margin.

thiago94
06-21-2021, 11:36 AM
Our final 12-man roster:

PG Schröder/Lo
SG Obst/Saibou
SF Benzing/Giffey/Bonga (1-3)
PF Barthel/Wagner/Wimberg (3-4)
C Voigtmann/Thiemann

Wimberg instead of Herkenhoff is a little suprising for me. Hollatz got injured this weekend, therefore Rödl had to nominate Saibou. Saibou published some pretty mindfucked theories about Covid on IG, something what makes it really hard for me to cheer for him at least. Still I like what I have seen from him and the rest of the team at the tournament this weekend, putting aside the lack of qualitiy of the opponents as Czech Republic and Italy missed some of their best players. Saibou played great so quality-wise he definitely earns his spot. I really hope Benzing plays a smaller role as he used to. On some days he can be a weapon in favour of us and on other days he supports the opponent. All in all I would consider us to be the toughest opponent for Croatia, which is the clear favourite of the tournament. It wouldn´t be much of a suprise though, if we lose against Mexico or Russia. All is possible.

Katastroika
06-21-2021, 12:10 PM
Team that is way better than it looked at the first view when it's consolidated. I like it a lot. Will be tough battle for everyone in Split against Germany. I am really happy that we don't have to play this team in Belgrade to be honest. I have traumatic remembering of game in Novi Sad when you beat us :)

Toruko
06-21-2021, 02:28 PM
Where are Maxi and Theiß?!

thiago94
06-21-2021, 09:40 PM
I hope we will live up to your expectations as our success its more or less determined by the attitude of Schröder and how he clicks with the rest of the team. During the World Cup 2019 it was reported that some players were far away from being satisfied with Schröder and his gigantic usage rate. They felt more or less like like cardboard figures. After the reports/problems they had a team meeting and lifted the problems out of the way. Let´s see if he can translate the advanced and more mature version of Dennis Schröder to our national team.

From time to time I watch at least the last quarter of the once in a lifetime win against Serbia. The block of Kleber still gives me goosebumps, while I have to laugh about Jelovac unsportsmanslike foul. No bad blood, but that foul describes him perfectly.

Kleber has a foot injury and Theis wants to focus on his next nba contract.

Toruko
06-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Dennis Schröder is out and wont play any games for Germany in Split. The reason is his free agency and the big insurance requirements. Idk if its good or bad for Germany tbh.

juli_rc
06-28-2021, 01:09 PM
Sorry, but I like brazil chances here.

reamily
06-28-2021, 01:15 PM
Dennis Schröder is out and wont play any games for Germany in Split. The reason is his free agency and the big insurance requirements. Idk if its good or bad for Germany tbh.

I am surprised that he was considered in the first place given his free agency status..:cool:

Toruko
06-29-2021, 02:28 PM
Mexico with Gustavo Ayon and Cruz. Wont be easy for Germany

Toruko
06-29-2021, 03:03 PM
This is really total shit what Germany is playing right now and Germany lacks individual talent.

reamily
06-29-2021, 03:53 PM
I think mexico done a good job on bothering Germany's rhytym up until this moment..

fasoulaki
06-29-2021, 04:04 PM
Mexico got 100 points against Greece. So they are not a bad team at all.

reamily
06-29-2021, 04:06 PM

these are basketball players in world level, they should be capable. All national teams that doesnt have enough skills cannot past through continental level..

Toruko
06-29-2021, 04:12 PM

Well, they are pretty bad. Have their 2-3 players but the rest is not even CL level and they are pretty small too. If Greece got 100 points from them it just means Greece is also not very well suited.

fasoulaki
06-29-2021, 04:20 PM
If Greece got 100 points from them it just means Greece is also not very well suited.
Maybe you are right but Germans are also struggling. But maybe Germany without Schroeder is alos not very well suited.

Toruko
06-29-2021, 04:23 PM
Maybe you are right but Germans are also struggling. But maybe Germany without Schroeder is alos not very well suited.

Germans are utterly disappointing. it would be a blowout game against any European average team...

Toruko
06-29-2021, 04:24 PM

Germans are utterly disappointing. it would be a blowout game against any European average team...

Katastroika
06-29-2021, 04:53 PM

We almost lost against them in Belgrade a few days ago. Good team. They remind at some middle American teams in the last 20 years. Very difficult to defend their high pick and roll 2m from the 3 point line. If their shot is going you have problem. Good win for Germany.

Toruko
06-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Hmm seems LTU hasnt solved its PG problem yet.

fasoulaki
06-29-2021, 05:43 PM

At the end Germans had better defense and Mexicans were out of power.

Toruko
06-29-2021, 05:54 PM
At the end Germans had better defense and Mexicans were out of power.

Yeah it happens if you rely on 2-3 old guys. The Germans were taller than the Mexicans.

greenarcher
06-30-2021, 04:07 PM
Mexico looking to upset the Russians.

ncjazz
06-30-2021, 04:26 PM
Mexico looking to upset the Russians.

Say what you will about Shved, but Russia clearly needs someone who can score. That roster looks pretty awful. Does anyone play basketball in Russian anymore?

Toruko
06-30-2021, 04:28 PM
Say what you will about Shved, but Russia clearly needs someone who can score. That roster looks pretty awful. Does anyone play basketball in Russian anymore?

Just foreigners.

ncjazz
06-30-2021, 04:39 PM
Just foreigners.

You know they are in trouble when you have to dig up Mozgov. AK 47 has got a lot of work to do.

greenarcher
06-30-2021, 04:44 PM
Where's Shved?

madmax
06-30-2021, 06:28 PM
You know they are in trouble when you have to dig up Mozgov. AK 47 has got a lot of work to do.

and to think this is actually a country with such rich basketball traditions, this kind of downfall is truly a head-scratcher imo

Toruko
06-30-2021, 06:40 PM
Wow what a fight in Split and I must say Croatia and Turkey have similarities basketball wise. With a good play maker they could be both very solid teams.

Dtown
06-30-2021, 11:57 PM
Wasn't expecting Brazil to crush Croatia like that, Americas teams representing well.

Hepcat
07-01-2021, 04:28 AM
Yes they are! And Uruguay-Czech Republic, Philippines-Dominican Republic and Italy-Puerto Rico should be good ones tomorrow.

:)

Miškinis
07-01-2021, 07:46 AM
and to think this is actually a country with such rich basketball traditions, this kind of downfall is truly a head-scratcher imo

You should have more faith in your "tribe", Maksim ;)

Joško Poljak Fan
07-01-2021, 10:02 AM
Wow what a fight in Split and I must say Croatia and Turkey have similarities basketball wise. With a good play maker they could be both very solid teams.
Croatia would be great with just a decent eurocup level PG, without it and without Sarić + Simon that know how to create for others, it'll be tough.
Not to mention I don't think they ever had as unimpressive backcourt backups in the rotation as Rogić, Drežnjak, Marcinković or Jordano.

The issue must be in the coaching of youth levels, seeking for additional height over skill. Most countries whine they can't find enough height, but if you've got plenty of it, that's dangerous as well. Trying to find the next 200cm tall guard with some oversight and force him onto a PG, which used to be a really popular thing 20 years ago.

Dtown
07-01-2021, 11:11 AM
Some crazy scenarios for Group A today

Germany wins, Germany wins group with Mexico second.
Russia wins by 3 or less, Germany wins group with Mexico second.
Russia wins by 5 or 6 Mexico wins group with Germany second.
Russia wins by 8 or 9, Mexico wins group with Russia second
Russia wins by 11 or more, Russia wins group with Mexico second.

Then there's crazy points scored tie breakers if Russia wins by 4, or 10.

Toruko
07-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Germany vs Russia is giving me cancer. Rödl is a clown.

ncjazz
07-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Croatia would be great with just a decent eurocup level PG, without it and without Sarić + Simon that know how to create for others, it'll be tough.
Not to mention I don't think they ever had as unimpressive backcourt backups in the rotation as Rogić, Drežnjak, Marcinković or Jordano.

The issue must be in the coaching of youth levels, seeking for additional height over skill. Most countries whine they can't find enough height, but if you've got plenty of it, that's dangerous as well. Trying to find the next 200cm tall guard with some oversight and force him onto a PG, which used to be a really popular thing 20 years ago.

Giving up the American ringer at PG not such a great idea. Still have Ukic as the PG. As you said a lack of talent at that position for Croatia.

ncjazz
07-01-2021, 09:26 PM

Giving up the American ringer at PG not such a great idea. Still have Ukic as the PG. As you said a lack of talent at that position for Croatia.

juli_rc
07-01-2021, 09:54 PM
Wasn't expecting Brazil to crush Croatia like that, Americas teams representing well.

Yes, maybe we have 4 americans teams again in the olympics (like 2016).

Straight forward
07-02-2021, 12:59 PM
So these FIBA guys who projected that Brazil will take this one weren't such complete idiots after all, huh? :D Brazil thus far as best team, but I'm not sure they wouldn't choke int the knock out stage. It's really open now, any time basically can take it, but Brazil now is probably a favorite.

Steadysoul
07-02-2021, 06:01 PM
So these FIBA guys who projected that Brazil will take this one weren't such complete idiots after all, huh? :D Brazil thus far as best team, but I'm not sure they wouldn't choke int the knock out stage. It's really open now, any time basically can take it, but Brazil now is probably a favorite.

with the exception of 2013 when Brazil suddenly sucked at basketball that even Jamaica beat them, has brazil ever actually been bad? I mean they've been not great but at a minimum they've been good.

Straight forward
07-03-2021, 10:56 AM
Bruno Caboclo still funny dude and still can't shoot :) But his wingspan makes difference. Brazil a bit tougher, more athletic, more agile and better defensive team (as well as a bit deeper), I think they taking it. People thought Brazil is the past, but it's pesky and dangerous team.

Dtown
07-03-2021, 12:09 PM
Brazil absolute class today 102 - 74 over a decent Mexican side. Going to take a big effort to knock them out tomorrow.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 02:29 PM
Bojane showing who is the real NBA player on the court.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 02:40 PM
This wont go well for Croatia. I mean if you have 10 TOs in 15 minutes you cant win a game.

Shawshank
07-03-2021, 02:50 PM
By far the best game today yet! Very physical battle in every possession.

Germany is better prepared and deeper team,but Bogdanovich with Hezonja refusing to give up.

Mario in 2016 was brainless softie

In 2021 still brainless but atleast a man that really cares and competes hard.

neo
07-03-2021, 03:53 PM
germany vs brazil in d finals

Dtown
07-03-2021, 03:54 PM
Germany wins, sending the first home team out.

Brazil is definitely the favorite tomorrow but hoping for a good game.

JGX
07-04-2021, 07:17 PM
You guys like to pick on Canada or Turkey, but Brazil is the actual team that never wins the big game.

Terrorizer
07-04-2021, 11:39 PM
You guys like to pick on Canada or Turkey, but Brazil is the actual team that never wins the big game.
Germany is simply a better and deeper team. Alex Garcia and Retardajao still playing big minutes for Brazil, and this is not some 2012 for a team with such a duo to get through any serious competition. Well, at least they didn't force Leandrinho out of retirement (what a funny if ultimately idiotic player he was, generally he was such a disaster for his own team... but he was funny).

The three things Germany had to do for Brazil not to have any significant chances were: 1) to defend Benite really hard (Brazil's only top-notch shooter and generally their best player); 2) not letting Bruno Caboclo to run like a deer; 3) hoping Marcelinho won't have enough fitness and playing time to organize semi-reasonable offense for Brazil. I haven't watched the game itself but judging by Benite's shooting percentage, Marcelinho's playing time and Caboclo's scoring Germans did most of these things right.

Just foreigners.
Well, then in Turkey there are only "just foreigners" balling. And, well, Nizhny Novgorod beat solid European teams this season in BCL with roster made up mostly from Russians (most of whom didn't made it even to this subpar Russian squad).

No big mystery.

CSKA crooks raiding federation and sending this already corrupt and not very effective institution into headdive towards abysmal depths of incompetency, idiotic VTB league with only 8 Russian teams (less than some Luxembourg) playing top-tier local basketball with no quotas for local players plus continuing conflicts between coaching staff, players, federation and clubs. Look how many players from the initial roster decided to skip this tournament just because they didn't want to play. Organizationally we're in the state of the most terrible disarray.

One thing is not to have that retard Shved who always made NT a worse team, the other thing when not only Kurbanov and Bolomboy but also players of Zubkov caliber decide that there's no point for them in playing for NT.

As doubtful Stalin's quote proclaims "Every mistake has a name and a surname". Here I can easily name the three main "mistakes": Sergei Ivanov, Sergei Kuschenko, Andrei Vatutin. These are the scumbags who initiated this downfall.

Bazarevich told in an interview "Everyone in Russia thinks that our basketball is dead, but I don't think so". Nuff said. I will not remind you that Russia made medal finishes in Olympics-2012 and Eurobasket-2011 but this is a current state of affairs in the country whose national team was fourth in the last EuroBasket. By the way, it was the only tournament since 2012 when we had a surprisingly well-organized and serious preparation but that definitely was a mysterious fluke. And basketball-wise things are getting worse and worse here (not only in my home city of Khimki).

Yep, you're right, up to mid-2010s we had one of the richest and most successful basketball traditions in Europe but right now we're definitely on our way towards basketball irrelevance. As previous US president likes to say... sad. But this is a totally predictable scenario.

Terrorizer
07-04-2021, 11:48 PM
You should have more faith in your "tribe", Maksim ;)
Look who's talking. Traditional sturdiness and gutsy character, the things any Lietuva basketball NT lives and dies by, weren't enough not to be owned by Luka, aided by 7 mpg NBA player, Mike Tobey, Klemen Prepelic, a couple of washed up (yet previously solid) players and guys from all those Gravelines and Cholets. Not extremely surprising when your best backcourt option after classy Grigonis is 34 y.o. Mantas (with all due respect to the latter). Judging by your avatar, it seems that you haven't prayed hard enough to your pagan gods for your "tribe".

juli_rc
07-05-2021, 01:47 AM

You're absolutely right. They can defeat the USA, and the next day lose against Chile.

ChuckDiesel2
07-05-2021, 06:39 PM
What a disaster of a tournament for Croatia. Sad for a country with so much talent and tradition to put that product on the floor.

ChuckDiesel2
07-07-2021, 06:04 AM
Where was Krunoslav Simon by the way?