PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

Pages : 1 [2]

Toruko
07-02-2021, 05:49 PM
After watching the Uruguay and Czech game I have the impression that Turkey plays slower than Greece in its two games in this tournament. I am wondering wich team's rhythm will prevail tomorrow and if Turkey will run with Greece or if Turkey will manage to slow down the game.

This is really weird to read. Turkey manage to slow down the game against Greece hahahahahah :D

Petran
07-02-2021, 06:02 PM
The point is you dont just lack wings, you also lack Bigs and this is a difference that normally cant be overcome just with better guards.

Last time I checked, Cedi was scoring 10 ppg in the NBA, perhaps you think he is something like Giannis... But wait, two years ago we had the real Giannis (the MV) and we still lost.

Also, who you have in bigs, prime Pau Gasol? I was just checking Sanli and Papagiannis and PERs this year are pretty much the same!

Advice, don't be arrogant, it never pays off.

Toruko
07-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Last time I checked, Cedi was scoring 10 ppg in the NBA, perhaps you think he is something like Giannis... But wait, two years ago we had the real Giannis (the MV) and we still lost.

Also, who you have in bigs, prime Pau Gasol? I was just checking Sanli and Papagiannis and PERs this year are pretty much the same!

Advice, don't be arrogant, it never pays off.

We can talk about the situation again when Giannis is on board. The fact of the matter is he is not in Canada and you play with Kavvadas. I am just talking about the situation. If it makes you feel sad, dont read my posts.

fasoulaki
07-02-2021, 06:20 PM
This is really weird to read. Turkey manage to slow down the game against Greece hahahahahah :D

Imagine Hellas-Türkye to turn into a run-n-gun game. ;) I am wondering if it's worth to stay awake and watch this game.

The fact of the matter ... you play with Kavvadas
Hey whats wrong with Kavvadas? :p It is not his fault that American Football is not popular in Greece :D

Toruko
07-02-2021, 06:27 PM
Imagine Hellas-Türkiye to turn into a run-n-gun game- I am wondering if it's worth to stay awake and watch this game.

I feel compelled to watch all tournament games every time. I even take extra time out from work for it. I cant cheer for a club so just the NT remains.

Toruko
07-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Hey whats wrong with Kavvadas? It is not his fault that American Football is not popular in Greece

I didnt intend to be disrespectful towards him. He has a solid half hook jumper, lets say he manages to make them somehow but its true to say that you have a center problem if he is your backup center. But yes he has something of an American football player.

fasoulaki
07-02-2021, 06:32 PM
I feel compelled to watch all tournament games every time. I even take extra time out from work for it. I cant cheer for a club so just the NT remains.

Seems we have a similiar interest. I personally feel disgusted by this Panathinaikos/Olympiakos pushover and watch only NT basketball. But I am growing old and feel bad nowadays if I dont get enough of sleep.

Toruko
07-02-2021, 10:46 PM
After watching for the second time the Canada vs Greece game I must say Calathes is a tremendous play maker. Really if he had a shot, there is no way he would have stayed in Europe. Elite ball handling and passing combined with court vision. You never choke with him. He would have loads of fun if he played for Turkey.

zubitos
07-03-2021, 06:20 AM
I think Turkey is the favorite in points, but I expect a closed game and I believe that the winner of the game with the boost that will get will also qualify for the Olympics

Toruko
07-03-2021, 08:55 PM
Just like this Czechs. Always low post plays and if they help kick out and take the 3! This is also how we would play. Unbelievable the pace of the NBA players but if they dont share the ball more its gonna be tough. My only worry the lack of deepness in the Czech roster but if the czechs manage to survive the third quarter by playing smartly I want to see the Canadians then.

mojo13
07-03-2021, 09:00 PM
Just like this Czechs. Always low post plays and if they help kick out and take the 3! This is also how we would play. Unbelievable the pace of the NBA players but if they dont share the ball more its gonna be tough. My only worry the lack of deepness in the Czech roster but if the czechs manage to survive the third quarter by playing smartly I want to see the Canadians then.

Czech playing fantastic. Canada not so much.
Admittedly this has caught me off guard after watching the Czechs first two games, where they looked nothing like this. Let’s see if Canada can make some defensive adjustments at the half as they did against Greece.
But this could go either way at this point - we really don’t have a decent group of bigs and it is showing here.

JGX
07-03-2021, 09:11 PM
I saw Blake Schilb play in high school like 40 years ago, he was a good player but I didn't envision him leading the Czech Republic to the Olympics back then.

Early on the Czechs were making some tough shots but it got easier as the half went on.

JGX
07-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Wow, even by FIBA standards that's a horrible unsportsmanlike call.

Dtown
07-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Oh my god!

Please tell me I was not the only one to see that last minute, absolutely unbelievable.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Whuat da fuck!!!!!1!111111

Darknemo2000
07-03-2021, 10:08 PM
Wow. Czech managed to loose the won game.

JGX
07-03-2021, 10:08 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Guess I was wrong about Wiggins makes tough shots as a poor late-game strategy

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:09 PM
Wow. Czech managed to loose the won game.

Its even worse than our loss against USA 2019. I would be crying now if I was Czech.

Darknemo2000
07-03-2021, 10:09 PM
Well technically its OT but we all know that Canada will win it.

Darknemo2000
07-03-2021, 10:14 PM
Today should be Czech national sadness day. Their fotball team looses to Denmark and now such a catastrophy in basketball.

Furkan Korkmaz
07-03-2021, 10:15 PM
Glad I tuned in for the 4th Q... if I hadnt seen this with my own eyes I would not have believed it lol.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:17 PM
OK, now I believe in everything. God, ghosts and stuff like that. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Furkan Korkmaz
07-03-2021, 10:19 PM
Schilb could have ended it on 2 occasions... especially such a wide open three... meh. Gotta drill those at this level.

But wow Satoransky does it.

Toruko
OMG. Sato made it, Sato made it!

JGX
Balvin the hero of this game if the Czechs win, literally the best shot blocker since Mutombo

Love when teams make a big comeback playing high-pressure defense and then they go back to the same defense that had them behind in the first place.

Darknemo2000
07-03-2021, 10:23 PM
Sato won it, Wow. No national sadness day in the end. Guess they can say all is good that ends well.

Dtown
What a game, fantastic final play call but he just missed.

Canada giving heartbreak to their fans as always, sadly.

Toruko
Canada made the impossible and went to OT in order to lose it there. hhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hha :D

Furkan Korkmaz
07-03-2021, 10:24 PM
What a fourth quarter and overtime (I didnt watch the rest : p), wow.

Okay it’s official, Canada is now the biggest loser country in basketball relative to it’s quality and potential. They’re worse than Turkey for sure in this regard.

JGX
07-03-2021, 10:24 PM
All those Nick Nurse takes destroyed in the final minute of regulation have suddenly come back to life! At least Canada only has to wait three years for their next adventure this time.

A shame that the Czech-Denmark match from earlier today probably had 1,000 times as many viewers as this.

mojo13
07-03-2021, 10:27 PM
Wow, even by FIBA standards that's a horrible unsportsmanlike call.

Brutal call. Along with some other bad ones in the last couple minutes of regulation.

Great game but the Czechs. Hats of to them. Hopefully Canada learns a thing our two about beautiful ball movement, a solid prep period and the strength of players familiar with each other.

A cold shooting night and a weak front line eventually did us in. Canada needs to be far better prepared if it is not going to come with the majority of its best players.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:28 PM
Tbh we would have never beaten Canada in the final with our backcourt but since Czech Rep. went on OT, there is a real chance but probably we will fail again hahahahhaahahah :D

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:30 PM
Congrats to Uruguay first of all. they were really tough but I am happy about Czechs having won. They can be very uncomfortable for the Canadians. There is height under the rim and athleticism. They also have a great play maker with Sato who has his team under control. I dont think the Canadians will break through the Czech lanes that easily and they will be an easy target from the low post. I also think that the TO number of the Canadian team will decide the game.

I saw it coming....

JGX
07-03-2021, 10:30 PM
Between Schilb and Mike Tobeycic this has to be the best day for naturalized players since the glory days of Bo McCalebb and JR Holden.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:32 PM
Brutal call. Along with some other bad ones in the last couple minutes of regulation.

Great game but the Czechs. Hats of to them. Hopefully Canada learns a thing our two about beautiful ball movement, a solid prep period and the strength of players familiar with each other.

A cold shooting night and a weak front line eventually did us in. Canada needs to be far better prepared if it is not going to come with the majority of its best players.

Mo, dude, I am deeply sorry. I know how painful such a loss is.

Shawshank
07-03-2021, 10:33 PM
fantastic built plan by Czech put two super long dudes 2m15+ inside together in zone defence shut down layups and dunks and make high jumping Canada athletes beat them by shooting jumpers.

Thats how USA NT used to beaten by elite europe teams in 2002-2006. Until Usa realised you cant bring just high jumpers,but you need to have bunch of shooters in fiba.

This Czech group plays together since 2015 is well oiled machine ,but with limited tallent.

Canadas athletes it was obviuos had no experience playing such type game and played all game long 1vs 1 game . Even with overhelming tallent advantage thats suicidal game plan long term.

Happy for Czech it was all about team effort ,togetherness of group , not just streetbal individual 1 vs 1 skillsets.

Arsonist
07-03-2021, 10:35 PM
Incredible for Canada, this time they had everything in their favor, playing at home, they had been doing a great basketball, but they seem to have a problem to attend the Olympics in 2015 they were defeated by Venezuela and they had a roster full of NBA players and now even in an amazing comeback against Czech Rep. in a game that was almost lost they managed to have an unprecedented reaction but again failed to take advantage of the opportunity.

Toruko
07-03-2021, 10:39 PM
I think if we lose to Greece now I will have suicidal thoughts. Please one time just this one time!

juli_rc
07-03-2021, 10:47 PM

Learning? Is always the same for Canada, putting somes nba names on the floor, thinking that's it. Not learning nothing.
It's like 2015 again... Canada need to start next year again not in 3 or 4 years.

Hepcat
07-03-2021, 10:54 PM
...honestly, I doubt if Canada can beat CZ as an example. It is an open tourney....

Well ultimately you were correct, though Canada could have beaten the Czech Republic. But in the end they did not.

Here I thought Canada was done like dinner when the Czechs had a ten point lead with 0:50 to play. Then when Canada miraculously came back to force O/T, I thought the Czechs were on the ropes. And when Canada had a five point lead with less than 2:30 to play in O/T, I didn't think there was any way the Czechs could get up from the mat. So I was wrong at every turn.

:eek:

juli_rc
07-03-2021, 11:03 PM
fantastic built plan by Czech put two super long dudes 2m15+ inside together in zone defence shut down layups and dunks and make high jumping Canada athletes beat them by shooting jumpers.

Thats how USA NT used to beaten by elite europe teams in 2002-2006. Until Usa realised you cant bring just high jumpers,but you need to have bunch of shooters in fiba.

This Czech group plays together since 2015 is well oiled machine ,but with limited tallent.

Canadas athletes it was obviuos had no experience playing such type game and played all game long 1vs 1 game . Even with overhelming tallent advantage thats suicidal game plan long term.

Happy for Czech it was all about team effort ,togetherness of group , not just streetbal individual 1 vs 1 skillsets.

Since when PR and ARG are in europe?

Steadysoul
07-03-2021, 11:08 PM
I had Canada losing in OT to turkey in the final.....So I was partially right

Dtown
07-03-2021, 11:16 PM
It's a good day when we get a classic finish/ot game and get Greece vs Turkey to follow.

Arsonist
07-03-2021, 11:22 PM
Canada has to get over that chip when they build their basketball team with an NBA mentality and think about what is done in FIBA, especially studying European teams.

Of course if you have the athleticism of an NBA player but you play as a team with FIBA mentality is another story, look at the failure of the United States in the last World Cup and we can realize the difference between international and NBA game models.

I would have liked to see Canada in the Olympics, they missed a good moment, but Czech Republic also played a good game that they almost lost, but when teams have more time playing together the transition to FIBA is more comfortable because of the knowledge of the systems, especially on the defensive level.

I hope that Canada sooner rather than later can have the honor of attending the Olympics with this generation of players, which has made it difficult for them to achieve the feat.

JGX
07-03-2021, 11:53 PM
Some bad 2006-era USA takes being recycled as worse Canada takes in this thread. Canada does not have nearly the amount of talent available to them as the US. Not even close to the level of the "bad" US teams from 2002-2006. Regardless of what they do they are just going to be one of many teams that can have a bad day and lose.

Steadysoul
07-04-2021, 12:13 AM
Some bad 2006-era USA takes being recycled as worse Canada takes in this thread. Canada does not have nearly the amount of talent available to them as the US. Not even close to the level of the "bad" US teams from 2002-2006. Regardless of what they do they are just going to be one of many teams that can have a bad day and lose.

So can we talk about how that mentality is present with Management for Canada or is it too soon?

Toruko
07-04-2021, 12:19 AM
The story of my life. Coach with the weirdest lineups and poor play making, weird shots and just 7 points lead. This team needs a fucking play maker. I hate this shit!!!!!!!!

reamily
07-04-2021, 12:21 AM
Shows you you meed a tuneup or two even usa where defeated in tunes ups and almost defeated in group play matches..the talent is there to recover from ten plus points they simply can avoid that situation if they "prepared"

okanial
07-04-2021, 01:14 AM
Congrats to Greece, Ene really destroyed any chance we had. Alperen played an amaizing game but was barely in. He insisted on Doğuş for so long. Sehmus didn't see the floor for some reason. nothing more to add

Dtown
07-04-2021, 01:16 AM
I don't think anyone had Czech Republic and Greece in the final this morning.

Oly_fan
07-04-2021, 01:17 AM
Too easy. Too easy.

Toruko
07-04-2021, 01:18 AM
This is really not acceptable. Ok, Greece pressure to our "play makers" was the initial problem but you cant give up after the third quarter. Someone has to step up someone else than Tuncer. I cant accept to lose to Kavvadas and Giannapoulos. We need a fucking play maker.

Oly_fan
07-04-2021, 01:20 AM

Which is why Canada isn't just missing out on gold but missing out on even being there.

Playing 40 minutes of isos is something that you shouldn't even be considering when you don't have Dream Team levels of talent gap with your opponent.

Oly_fan
07-04-2021, 01:22 AM
This is really not acceptable. Ok, Greece pressure to our "play makers" was the initial problem but you cant give up after the third quarter. Someone has to step up someone else than Tuncer. I cant accept to lose to Kavvadas
Those 300 pounds of pure muscle proved to be too much for the puny Turkish centers.
What happened to paint domination?

Furkan Korkmaz
07-04-2021, 01:25 AM
Well fellas, I think I acquainted our team with the word loser multiple times already this thread, it was all for a reason, to have some of the unaware people forsee a possible outcome like this. I know that even if we’d
qualify today, we’d lose to the Czech anyway. So it’s okay. Calathes played great, but we really pulled a mental switch after the good start. It’s not the first time I see this happen.

Oh and now everyone is yet again witness to why my profile name is what it is. Because he’s literally the only player I like, one who never disappoints.

zubitos
07-04-2021, 01:28 AM
Turkey has some incredible players......Greece has incredible coach.......Great job Rick......you blow out our heads...

Toruko
07-04-2021, 01:31 AM
Those 300 pounds of pure muscle proved to be too much for the puny Turkish centers.

Well the bench is 12 to 2 so I was right but you are right too. I have to admit strength difference was not calculated by me considering the talent level of the paint.

freestyler34
07-04-2021, 01:32 AM
The team was -32 with Melih on the floor, closest one is -17, i dont know why Melih had to play 22 mins, hes doing nothing on the defence , also Cedi Osman should never be main playmaker or the go to guy on offence

Toruko
07-04-2021, 01:32 AM
Can someone explain me how we got 54 points in a half from a team whose only scorer is Sloukas?

Furkan Korkmaz
07-04-2021, 01:35 AM

Tbh who said we had overwhelming dominance in the paint? We literally have an 18 year old (though a very talented one) and a guy who hasn’t played in a proper league in years. Sanli is more known for his shooting as a center rather than his dominance in the paint lol. The guy is a better shooter than Sloukas and Calathes, but we indeed lack a good experienced dependable guy on the inside. Normally Kanter would have taken this role but we know how that story unfolded....

Multiple people here dismissed the theory of pain domination of Turkey... I don’t know where you read it.
You have guard domination we have pf domination. The guards won today. We also have a clueless coach though, absurd rotations.

Oly_fan
07-04-2021, 01:40 AM
If you watch the Canada game again of yours then youll see that partly 3 Greek player were under the rim of Canada by themselves. Turkey has two very young bigs Alperen Sengün for example is still 18 years old and comes with 20 and 10 as an MVP of BSL. He totally dominated bigs like Micheal Eric etc. Kavvadas and Kostas are not match for him. There is no way they can stop him by themselves. Yurt is not in that level i was expecting him to be but still no match either and yes Turkish bigs are superior. This is a fact.

look at the Turkish defensive patterns and those of Canada. Canadians dont defend at all. They just trust in their offensive power. If you think youll be able to reach even 80 points against Turkey you are terribly on the wrong way.
Post for the ages.:D

freestyler34
07-04-2021, 01:41 AM
Can someone explain me how we got 54 points in a half from a team whose only scorer is Sloukas?

Thats what happens when you play Melih 22 mins against a team which is strongest weapon is its guards, theres a reason they never play him in the Euroleague, he was -32 on the floor.

Toruko
07-04-2021, 01:45 AM
Thats what happens when you play Melih 22 mins against a team which is strongest weapon is its guards, theres a reason they never play him in the Euroleague, he was -32 on the floor.

Well, yeah you are right. Incidently all our "guards" are shit and you are also right about Cedi being used as point forward and as a scorer.

freestyler34
07-04-2021, 02:03 AM
Well, yeah you are right. Incidently all our "guards" are shit and you are also right about Cedi being used as point forward and as a scorer.

Cedi is a role player,energy guy whatever you call it , he can do a little bit of everything but nothing too good, we had only 2 guys that capable of being go to scorers Furkan and Sengun, we were playing without a true PG, Larkin's injury really damaged the team, guards are the most important players in todays basketball we had good players but no playmakers, Melih isnt a playmaker btw, he has zero handling, cant play defence, i dont know why hes even on the team.

Toruko
07-04-2021, 02:06 AM
Cedi is a role player,energy guy whatever you call it , he can do a little bit of everything but nothing too good, we had only 2 guys that capable of being go to scorers Furkan and Sengun, we were playing without a true PG, Larkin's injury really damaged the team, guards are the most important players in todays basketball we had good players but no playmakers, Melih isnt a playmaker btw, he has zero handling, cant play defence, i dont know why hes even on the team.

This is already known. No need to mention it

janketa
07-04-2021, 02:08 AM
Melih is the cancer of this team(and any team). 22 minutes for him in any crutial game is suicide. 22minutes 4 on 5 in defence, plus so called shooter 1/5 for 3pt.

But it's not just that, coach problem is also present in NT from Tanjevic's time. 0 minutes for Hazer is just one example

Must say that 1st half was great imo, not just result but fighting spirit that was present on the court.

freestyler34
07-04-2021, 02:11 AM
Melih is the cancer of this team(and any team). 22 minutes for him in any crutial game is suicide

But it's not just that, coach problem is also present in NT from Tanjevic's time

Must say that 1st half was great imo, not just result but fighting spirit that was present on the court.

Dude managed to get -32 in 22 mins someone must give him an award when the team come back to Turkey

janketa
07-04-2021, 02:16 AM
Dude managed to get -32 in 22 mins someone must give him an award when the team come back to Turkey

He already got his reward by Kokoskov and Gherardini. He should have been fired before any of those 6 guys that left

neo
07-04-2021, 02:41 AM
Since when PR and ARG are in europe?

2002 us team was eliminated by serbia and montenegro in QF.

2006 us team was eliminated by greece in semis.

Nemanja95
07-04-2021, 07:48 AM
If someone could find or post full game replays of qualifying tournament, I will be grateful.

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 08:53 AM
I cant accept to lose to Kavvadas and Giannapoulos. We need a fucking play maker.
Seems Kavadas is your Nemesis. ;) Or you envy Kavadas muscles and Giannapoulos mustache (very impressive by the way.) I mean there are some players when they come from the bench the team looses his rhythm but this does not apply to these two guys there are solid roleplayers. They are not stars but they have something to give to the team and if this is only some minutes of rest for the other players.

Straight forward
07-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Czech Rep. is hell of a dark horse in FIBA lately. To knock out pretty stacked Canada is a huge thing. Congrats to them and to Greek fans.

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Czech Rep. is hell of a dark horse in FIBA lately.
This Czech game will be a very tough one. I am wondering what is the best strategy for this game. It feels like these czech starters played 40+OT minutes and were still fresh like newborn babys. So is it better to play Pitiono style and run or to play traditional greek style and slow down?

Buckalis
07-04-2021, 04:16 PM
This is really not acceptable. Ok, Greece pressure to our "play makers" was the initial problem but you cant give up after the third quarter. Someone has to step up someone else than Tuncer. I cant accept to lose to Kavvadas and Giannapoulos. We need a fucking play maker.

I think you meant to say "I can't accept to lose from Greece"... But again, YOU refuse to lose? Ahhh... OK!

Toruko
07-04-2021, 04:18 PM
Seems Kavadas is your Nemesis. ;) Or you envy Kavadas muscles and Giannapoulos mustache (very impressive by the way.) I mean there are some players when they come from the bench the team looses his rhythm but this does not apply to these two guys there are solid roleplayers. They are not stars but they have something to give to the team and if this is only some minutes of rest for the other players.

Dont take it the wrong way. I need to explain myself. If Greece had couple of players more I wouldnt be sad at all. I didnt have any expectations in the first place but what made me so sad was the fact of the downfall in the second half. You cant be playing so blind and rotate so much.

Buckalis
07-04-2021, 04:22 PM

It seems to me that Giannis's presence to the elite of the world's basketball has done a lot of good in providing an example to the Greek national team for working to improve all the time...

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 04:27 PM
I didnt have any expectations in the first place but what made me so sad was the fact of the downfall in the second half. For me this looked like a problem in psychology. Turkey did not expect to give away the lead so easily in the second half. To be honest greeks had some help of the refs in this phase. A posession here, a foul there a, backcourt violation which has not been given and so on. But still I had the impression that Turks got a total mental collapse.

juli_rc
07-04-2021, 04:29 PM
2002 us team was eliminated by serbia and montenegro in QF.

2006 us team was eliminated by greece in semis.

What a very selected memory, don't forget the olympics in between... This list represents teams who defeat USA in this century.

+2 ARG
+1 YUG
+1 SPA
+1 PR
+1 LIT
+1 GRE
+1 FRA
+1 SRB

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 04:30 PM
It seems to me that Giannis's presence to the elite of the world's basketball has done a lot of good in providing an example to the Greek national team for working to improve all the time...

My hypothesis is that these FIBA window qualification games during the year help the team to have a good chemistry and provide a reservoir of players to jump in in case the starters get injured. But lets not start to hail this team now becaue one loss against the czechs and we have the same outcome as usual in preolympic tournaments outside of Greece.

Toruko
07-04-2021, 04:30 PM
For me this looked like a problem in psychology. Turkey did not expect to give away the lead so easily in the second half. To be honest greeks had some help of the refs in this phase. A posession here, a foul there a, backcourt violation which has not been given and so on. But still I had the impression that they had a total mental collapse.

This is nothing new for us. It happens regularly because there is nobody who has a leader role in his team except Alperen Sengün and he was the one with the second least minutes. The coach made it worse with unnecessary rotations. Then the Greeks how you know them. Not much talent but hard defending as hell.

I was very sad yesterday but today I am ok again. Congrats to your win anyway.

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 04:41 PM
One point I would like to mention. All these CO2 emissions to travel to Canada and at the end we have 3 european playing in the semi finals and 2 europeans teams playing in the final. I would have prefered another tournament in Europe Prag/Istanbul/Athens instead of Victoria/Canada.

KrisPen
07-04-2021, 05:35 PM
If someone could find or post full game replays of qualifying tournament, I will be grateful.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWm_7txqhU

Game:
https://www.ertflix.gr/athlhtika/olympic-qualifying-tournament-toyrkia-vs-ellada/

You may need Greek IP address to watch the game on the last link

mojo13
07-04-2021, 07:00 PM
One point I would like to mention. All these CO2 emissions to travel to Canada and at the end we have 3 european playing in the semi finals and 2 europeans teams playing in the final. I would have prefered another tournament in Europe Prag/Istanbul/Athens instead of Victoria/Canada.

Interesting that you took the time to make such a stupid point.

FIBAs goal was to have each of these in a separate continent - as it should be. Maybe next time we will see that. Advocate for your team to sail there if you are really worried about CO2 emissions.

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 07:36 PM
Interesting that you took the time to make such a stupid point.

Especially since I am pissed off that I have to stay up all night and on top this court in Canada looks really ugly and old fashioned. It reminds me games from Aris Salonika back in the 80s playing abroad in Europe. Everytime I watch a game in this court I get a feeling like Nikos Gallis will show-up every moment and take the crucial shots.

Buckalis
07-04-2021, 07:47 PM
My hypothesis is that these FIBA window qualification games during the year help the team to have a good chemistry and provide a reservoir of players to jump in in case the starters get injured. But lets not start to hail this team now becaue one loss against the czechs and we have the same outcome as usual in preolympic tournaments outside of Greece.

I wasn't expecting Greece to advance, nor I think they are the favorites against the Czech rep... In any case, I don't think Giannis will be able to play in Tokyo if by any chance Greece promotes, he suffered a very serious injury just before the Bucks have reached the NBA finals, therefore although chasing an Olympic medal with Greece is among his dreams, I think it will be best for him if he rests after the finals.

fasoulaki
07-04-2021, 08:04 PM
I don't think Giannis will be able to play in Tokyo if by any chance Greece promotes, he suffered a very serious injury just before the Bucks have reached the NBA finals
Yes this was also my first thought when I read about his injury.

Buckalis
07-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Yes this was also my first thought when I read about his injury.

In any case, if Greece promotes, what a 4th of July this will be for Greek basketball... With both the National team promoting to the Olympic tournament and the Giannis lead Bucks qualifying in the NBA finals...

Arsonist
07-04-2021, 10:40 PM
Giannis has recovered? in any case Middleton will have to be the main offensive player for the Bucks, this guy has improved his level, but I like the Phoenix game better.

The final game of Greece against Czech Republic will be very interesting, opportunity for the Czechs to transcend and be in the highest competition.

It is incredible that the 4 participating countries and organizers of the Olympic qualifying tournament were eliminated, with very good teams but they lacked the character to win the final game in the case of Lithuania and Serbia, because Canada and Croatia were eliminated much earlier, these tournaments are not easy, they require preparation and many elements that are important details in the game for the best performance.

Another case is that of Brazil who were playing great basketball, they could not beat Germany in the final game, these tournaments must be watched carefully and learn from both victories and defeats to know what we are missing and what resources should be added in each of the combined teams of each country for the restructuring of national teams.

It is a great failure for teams with tradition of attending high competitions to have been left out as Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, even Brazil, Canada is another story, something they will have to analyze, but they will know that as I mentioned that this level is not easy and you must assemble the best team you can along with other factors that are fundamental.

Buckalis
07-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Giannis has recovered? in any case Middleton will have to be the main offensive player for the Bucks, this guy has improved his level, but I like the Phoenix game better.

Giannis has been cleared to start on-court practice already from yesterday before game 6 against the Hawks... The word is that he wants to play in game 1 in the finals, but I think it will be wise if the coach doesn't let him go until game 2 and then on restricted minutes... Khris Middleton has always been a top-20 player as is the other Co-Olympian with the Bucks Jrue Holiday, which both the crowed will enjoy playing with team USA in Tokyo.

Toruko
07-05-2021, 12:31 AM
OK something similar I thought of yesterdays game with us. My mistake was to not take into account our youth softness. One solid play maker and two tough bigs were enough. Czechs deserved it anyway for beating Canada.

Oly_fan
07-05-2021, 12:39 AM
It's great justice that not only did Canada, Turkey and Greece all go out but that they went out in purely humiliating fashion.
I am looking forward to the glorious greek sports media analysing what went wrong after they had already declared Pitino a radiant genius (like he had anything to do with Turkey being an even worse bed-shitter than us).

Another thing, it's amazing that Czech Republic's 'mediocre' bigs, like Balvin and Auda, can both pivot and shoot but we're so very happy if we manage to get someone to sort of do one of the two.

fasoulaki
07-05-2021, 02:26 AM
Congrats to Czech. Buissiness as usual for Greece. No qualification in a preolympic Tournament outside greece

Federoy
07-05-2021, 03:08 AM
Good for international basketball that the Czechs are going to the Olympics. The sport always needs new blood.

Federoy
07-05-2021, 04:20 AM

No question Canada doesn't have the depth the USA has at the secondary level. If Canada had their full compliment of NBA stars, I believe they would've won this tournament rather easily...but as the competition stiffens at the Olympics, even a full strength Canadian squad wouldn't be a shoe in for a medal. I look at the Canadian program similar to how I view American soccer; we adopted the English/British system of training our youth (dumping the ball with long volleys, no emphasis on skill/technique, poor at probing defenses with passing, conservative, mid-field oriented strategy) and it has not served us well against elite national teams at the senior or junior levels. Canadian basketball is in the same position vis-a-vis basketball. They've adopted the iso-heavy, 3 pt. metric driven style that we're accustomed to seeing out of US NTs...it works for us because our depth and talent is such that we can get away with playing that way against 90% of our opponents, but Canada doesn't have such a luxury. They need to incorporate the best of FIBA team play along with allowing their players some room for individual creativity. Believe it or not, Puerto Rico is a pretty good model, they just don't have the horses to compete against the very best and usually come up short.

Levenspiel
07-05-2021, 11:37 AM
OK something similar I thought of yesterdays game with us. My mistake was to not take into account our youth softness. One solid play maker and two tough bigs were enough. Czechs deserved it anyway for beating Canada.
I think your "mistake" is blind optimism. We have no business playing among the best 12 teams in the Olympics. Our bball level over the last decade is 16th to 24th place in the EuroBasket, and this is fair. We have 2 borderline NBA players in Furkan and Cedi, and a few OK guys and prospects, but this roster is not going to win games. Not their fault, they don't have the skill. And we do not have the coach or the playing style to elevate our chances, like the Greeks or the Czechs do. For some reason, people think Ene is a decent coach. He's not even average, he's been failure everywhere and at every level he worked.

Congratulations to all Czech fans, who are yet visit us in this forum :)

Toruko
07-05-2021, 11:56 AM
I think your "mistake" is blind optimism. We have no business playing among the best 12 teams in the Olympics. Our bball level over the last decade is 16th to 24th place in the EuroBasket, and this is fair. We have 2 borderline NBA players in Furkan and Cedi, and a few OK guys and prospects, but this roster is not going to win games. Not their fault, they don't have the skill. And we do not have the coach or the playing style to elevate our chances, like the Greeks or the Czechs do. For some reason, people think Ene is a decent coach. He's not even average, he's been failure everywhere and at every level he worked.

Congratulations to all Czech fans, who are yet visit us in this forum :)

And your mistake is either a huge inferiority complex or latent hate. I played enough and watching BB almost my entire life so I wont discuss with you what I can expect or not.

Levenspiel
07-05-2021, 12:04 PM
and yet you cannot see a plain fact, even if it's proven to you over and over. No worries, i am not curious about your projections, either.

Toruko
07-05-2021, 12:08 PM
and yet you cannot see a plain fact, even if it's proven to you over and over. No worries, i am not curious about your projections, either.

Fine with me.

Victorious
07-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Czechs deservedly won and qualified for the Olympics. Some of their players were very dominant against the Greece. The Greek players had no answer. The Czechs are a well oiled team. I am also also very glad they knocked out Canada. Once again it is proven that a set of NBA players are not enough to prevail. And truth be told, the Czechs are not by any means a true powerhouse. But their system works like a clock. Pitino said in the press conference that Greece is a team which requires preparation, while the Czechs are a team which work systematically. I think Pitino assembled a team within a few weeks which may have a slight chance to beat Canada. But he had no answer at all for the Czech republic without having time to prepare. The team may be a very bad match up for this Greek team. Nevertheless, it was fun watching them play.

looking into the future Greece basketball needs a new managerial re-start. A coach which they can rely for several tournaments. And someone with knowledge in order to integratie Giannis into the team efficiently. This seems to be the best formula for success in national team basketball. That's because you have little time to prepare. The reason Greece could compete in this tournament is because the non-starters played in FIBA windows. A team with EL and NBA players will not have that opportunity. Eventually you will loose against a more cohesive team.

fasoulaki
07-05-2021, 05:35 PM
A coach which they can rely for several tournaments. And someone with knowledge in order to integratie Giannis into the team efficiently.
I am against changing the whole basketball tradition due to a single player who is not able to play FIBA basketball. I am in favor to add some elements to the game and use Giannis as an extra weapon instead on relying solely on him. In any case he will rarely show up in FIBA tournaments. So the style of basketball which is played should suite the majority of players of the roster.

The reason Greece could compete in this tournament is because the non-starters played in FIBA windows. A team with EL and NBA players will not have that opportunity. Maybe a way back to success would be to find an agreement between federation and league clubs which will allow Euroleague players to participate in FIBA windows. NTs relying on NBA players will have then the main disadvantage.

Hepcat
07-05-2021, 06:35 PM
Czechs deservedly won and qualified for the Olympics.

How does a team go from these results in the Round Robin:

Turkey 87 Czech Republic 70
Czech Republic 80 Uruguay 79

To these results in the Playoff round just a couple of days later?
'
Czech Republic 103 Canada 101 (OT)
Czech Republic 97 Greece 72

It's astonishing. The Czechs very clearly saved their best for the Playoffs when it most counted. The Turks just as clearly did not.

I wonder whether the Czech Republic team that played yesterday would have beaten Slovenia.

:confused:

Hepcat
07-05-2021, 06:57 PM
Great game (by) the Czechs. Hats of to them. Hopefully Canada learns a thing our two about beautiful ball movement, a solid prep period and the strength of players familiar with each other.

Canada needs to be far better prepared if it is not going to come with the majority of its best players.

I agree. Once again the few of us in Canada who follow international basketball are left both exasperated and completely deflated. At times like this I'm tempted to say Basketball Canada should just send the Carleton University Ravens or even the Humber College Hawks to these international tournaments instead of trying to knit some collection of NBA players into a team. And yes, I know, frustration is causing me to overstate my case.

Nonetheless, Basketball Canada must in future set as early a date as possible for training camp to start and if some of the players invited to camp can't make it by this date, so be it. The team would be drawn from the players who do show up. These players then would be drilled and drilled until a well-oiled team emerges from the random collection of players.

Steadysoul
07-05-2021, 07:21 PM
I agree. Once again the few of us in Canada who follow international basketball are left both exasperated and completely deflated. At times like this I'm tempted to say Basketball Canada should just send the Carleton University Ravens or even the Humber College Hawks to these international tournaments instead of trying to knit some collection of NBA players into a team. And yes, I know, frustration is causing me to overstate my case.

Nonetheless, Basketball Canada must in future set as early a date as possible for training camp to start and if some of the players invited to camp can't make it by this date, so be it. The team would be drawn from the players who do show up. These players then would be drilled and drilled until a well-oiled team emerges from the random collection of players.

I think Canada would be better off in the long run if they didn't consistently tie their success to NBA players. It seems a bit disrespectful to the non NBA guys who always show up.

ChuckDiesel2
07-05-2021, 08:51 PM
The Czechs were obviously the best team in Canada. They have a clear identity that comes with continuity, good coaching and players who all accept and flourish in their roles. They play for one another, they play with force and intelligence and clearly deserve to be in the Olympics. Happy for them and think it will be a really nice group stage test for the Team USA, who beat a slightly different version of their team in 2019.

That said, people would be talking about this Canadian team very differently if they were allowed even the usual amount of time to prepare for a tournament. It goes against whatever hypocritical virtue the Olympic Committee might claim to stand for, but there should be a rule that if national teams have commitments from players who earn a combined professional yearly salary of at least 15 million (dollars or euros) they should be automatically eligible with enough time to get ready for the tournament as possible. Easy solution is adding a couple extra games for each team. All we want is the the absolute best basketball tournament in the world. Any way you spin it, the teams Serbia, Lithuania, Croatia and Canada would've enhanced the quality. One extra game per team.

Hepcat
07-06-2021, 02:54 AM
I think Canada would be better off in the long run if they didn't consistently tie their success to NBA players. It seems a bit disrespectful to the non NBA guys who always show up.

I agree.

:)

Hepcat
07-06-2021, 03:02 AM
It goes against whatever hypocritical virtue the Olympic Committee might claim to stand for, but there should be a rule that if national teams have commitments from players who earn a combined professional yearly salary of at least 15 million (dollars or euros) they should be automatically eligible with enough time to get ready for the tournament as possible. Easy solution is adding a couple extra games for each team. All we want is the the absolute best basketball tournament in the world. Any way you spin it, the teams Serbia, Lithuania, Croatia and Canada would've enhanced the quality.

Unless I'm reading you wrong, you seem to be suggesting that FIBA should make it easier for countries which have teams comprised of high-priced players to qualify. I would be very strongly opposed to those countries getting preferential treatment.

Be nice if the basketball field for the Olympics was expanded to sixteen teams meaning the top TWO teams from each group would qualify, but there's no way star-laden teams should get an easier road than the others.

Steadysoul
07-06-2021, 03:22 PM
Unless I'm reading you wrong, you seem to be suggesting that FIBA should make it easier for countries which have teams comprised of high-priced players to qualify. I would be very strongly opposed to those countries getting preferential treatment.

Be nice if the basketball field for the Olympics was expanded to sixteen teams meaning the top TWO teams from each group would qualify, but there's no way star-laden teams should get an easier road than the others.

If they expanded the field I would expect 2 of those slots to go to Asia/Africa and 2 more wild cards. Or adding a slot to America/Europe/Africa/Asia a piece.

Miškinis
07-06-2021, 06:26 PM
There's no need to expand the Olympic tournament. That what makes it elite. There is the world championship which was already extended. What could be changed, though, is the qualification system. I would definitely prefer the old way when teams are selected based on continental championships.

mojo13
07-06-2021, 09:45 PM
There's no need to expand the Olympic tournament. That what makes it elite. There is the world championship which was already extended. What could be changed, though, is the qualification system. I would definitely prefer the old way when teams are selected based on continental championships.

How is it elite?
It is regularly missing some of the best teams in the world. This version will be missing 4-6 of the top 10 teams in the world depending on how you want to define it.

reamily
07-06-2021, 10:03 PM
We all know that it was replaced in favor of the world cup being the year before olympics. It really bad to have the qualified teams 2 years before olympics..

Straight forward
07-06-2021, 10:04 PM
How is it elite?
It is regularly missing some of the best teams in the world. This version will be missing 4-6 of the top 10 teams in the world depending on how you want to define it.

It's elite in terms that best Euro teams qualify via WC (previously EB) and all the rest can prove their value in qualification. Also it means that USA gets their best players, Australia as well. Here you go, knock out stage is absolutely elite stage of FIBA basketball. That moment that it's tough to get in it's also exciting. Spain and France are in without qualification for a reason.

JGX
07-06-2021, 10:45 PM
There's no need to expand the Olympic tournament. That what makes it elite.

Agreed. No need to devalue the tournament by making it easy to qualify for. Everyone who didn't make it had their two chances.

Anyway, if it were up to FIBA they would have expanded to 16 teams a while ago, but the IOC would have to change their position for that to happen. Now that they got 3x3 into the games it's hard to see 5x5 (sorry) being allowed to add even more teams and athletes.

Steadysoul
07-06-2021, 11:28 PM
How is it elite?

That's kind of the point. It's harder to qualify. For the elite teams they would legit have to intentionally fuck up to miss the FWC. Expanding it to 16 also doesn't guarantee more than one of those teams makes it. Let's say you give each region sans Oceania an additional spot based on FWC standings. Only Serbia is added out of the top teams that didn't make it.

ChuckDiesel2
07-07-2021, 12:00 AM
I think there’s room to both congratulate the winners and not believe this tournament was an accurate representation of the version of the teams we’d have seen in Tokyo. Partly due to lack of preparation, partly due to the unavailable talent who could’ve been ready a month later. For me personally, the best basketball tournament in the world isn’t about the number of teams but the quality.

JamalJokic
07-07-2021, 01:00 AM

I think Canada’s biggest problem is the lack of an identity and culture. Argentina always plays the same way regardless who’s there. Australia is the same way with their physical style of play. If I’m Rowan Barrett I’m doing these two things:

1. Hire a coach who will be in charge at the AmeriCup, World Cup and Olympics. Doesn’t matter if they coach overseas, in NCAA or NBA. Find someone committed to building a program/culture.

2. Take the AmeriCup seriously. Winning/medaling would help establish a winning culture. Seriously when was the last time Canada got silver and gold in a tournament? This seems to be a good place to start. Use the tournament to identify the core and who wants to be part of the program going forward.

Hepcat
07-08-2021, 03:39 PM

The Czech's loading the paint zone defence strategy was helped along by the fact that Canada hit only 9/37 shots from beyond the arc during the game versus a Tournament average of just under 34%.

Dtown
07-08-2021, 07:23 PM
I'd like the Olympics expanded to 16, not because I feel bad for any of the teams that didn't qualify but because 16 is just a better tournament format than 12 teams.

4 groups of 4, best two teams qualify for a 8 team knockout. Every game matters while only playing three games and none of that 'best third place team' nonsense.

madmax
07-08-2021, 08:40 PM
I'd like the Olympics expanded to 16, not because I feel bad for any of the teams that didn't qualify but because 16 is just a better tournament format than 12 teams.

4 groups of 4, best two teams qualify for a 8 team knockout. Every game matters while only playing three games and none of that 'best third place team' nonsense.

yup, pretty much apply WC format of 3 teams from the group qualifying to form a new group of 6 teams which will then decide the 4 best teams to advance to the QF stage...it would increase the game count only by 1 to the teams which will go all the way and the bad teams would only have to suffer 3 humiliating defeats in the initial group stage instead of 5 beatdowns...that's an exciting unpredictable format and it worked in the last WC. But of course, FIBA would never dear to brake their Olympic "traditions" lol

Steadysoul
07-08-2021, 08:44 PM
yup, pretty much apply WC format of 3 teams from the group qualifying to form a new group of 6 teams which will then decide the 4 best teams to advance to the QF stage...it would increase the game count only by 1 to the teams which will go all the way and the bad teams would only have to suffer 3 humiliating defeats in the initial group stage instead of 5 beatdowns...that's an exciting unpredictable format and it worked in the last WC. But of course, FIBA would never dear to brake their Olympic "traditions" lol

FIBA isn't the one keeping the number at 12. The IOC is. That's part of the reason the FWC did expand.

Steadysoul
07-08-2021, 08:45 PM

How would you decide those extra slots?

Dtown
07-08-2021, 11:24 PM
How would you decide those extra slots?

Either give another slot to each region, or include best finishers in the World Cup regardless of region

robert0326
07-17-2021, 07:15 PM

Basketball is now a global sport, 2nd most popular after football and almost 170 countries registered playing in a FIBA sanctioned game.. it should be expanded.. you see even African teams are now improving in every year.. (Nigeria upsets USA).. 16 teams is good already in an Olympic event..

Steadysoul
07-18-2021, 04:10 AM
Basketball is now a global sport, 2nd most popular after football and almost 170 countries registered playing in a FIBA sanctioned game.. it should be expanded.. you see even African teams are now improving in every year.. (Nigeria upsets USA).. 16 teams is good already in an Olympic event..

So I checked because I was curious, with the exception of beach volleyball(24) and men's soccer(16)(but not women's for some reason), every team sport is limited to twelve or less.

Victorious
07-21-2021, 04:46 PM

Actually, I think that the WC is more elite than the Olympics. It should be regarded as the top tier international competition. That's because many good teams are simply missing at the Olympic games. Not for their lack of potential. Lithuania was unlucky because they encountered a better Slovenia. But aside from 5-6 countries, they would most assuredly have beaten most other countries in the world. And what is a single game anyway. Serbia and Greece were lacking many players. They were playing with half capacity. Canada didn't have time to prepare, but they can be a hell of a team. These countries are probably better than more than half the countries at the Olympics. A potential group with these four teams would be called the group of death. And there are other countries as well who could make the Olympics competitive. Think of Croatia, Brazil, Turkey etc.

Now the Olympics has four or five good teams. USA, Spain, Australia, France and perhaps Slovenia. I hope that Nigeria and Italy will surprise me. But that' s only a question mark.

nago451
08-02-2021, 08:43 PM
Do you know this guy? see here: https://bestopy.com