PDA

View Full Version : What's Going on with Nene???

stuart
01-15-2008, 02:56 AM
This sounds pretty serious... at first it read like a player/coach confrontation/suspension thing, but then i read the article. Anyone from Denver, Brazil... anywhere shine some light on this? My mind is racing and everything is just speculation....

Stuart

Nuggets prepare to be without Nene
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Denver Nuggets remained mum Monday on the medical condition that has sidelined Nene. Coach George Karl indicated they are preparing to be without him for some time.

The Brazilian forward took an indefinite leave of absence on Friday.

"I was hurt and saddened by the news," Karl said without elaborating. "Now the support and strength of the team to give to him is important."

Nene, who is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds, missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery. The Nuggets, citing privacy laws, have gone along with Nene's decision to remain quiet on his condition.

"He's a very private person. He's a very quiet person," Karl said before Monday's game against Charlotte. "I'm sure now he's even more private and more quiet than ever. We're going to reach out to him and make sure he understands what he needs will be given to him, both emotionally, physically and hopefully spiritually, too."

Nene's career has been plagued by injuries. He missed all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He missed 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

Denver was also without forward Eduardo Najera on Monday against the Bobcats. Najera hyperextended his right elbow in Friday's win over Orlando. X-rays were negative and Najera could play Tuesday in Atlanta.

And this (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/14/nuggets-report-january-14/) from the Rocky Mtn News... some kind of surgery...

Surgery for Nene?
The specifics of Nene's health problem remain unknown, but indications are the Nuggets forward will have surgery sometime this week.

Nene's mother reportedly told a radio station in Brazil that her son was set to have surgery Tuesday in Denver. An NBA source acknowledged that surgery might be required but said it would not be performed Tuesday.

Because Nene has requested privacy while he takes a leave of absence from the team, speculation about his illness has been rampant, particularly in his native Brazil.

Nuggets coach George Karl said the team expects to have more information in the next few days.

"(Nene's) very private with his life, and that's the way he wants it," Karl said. "I think we have to respect that."

Nene's business manager, Alex Santos, did not return phone messages Sunday.

rikhardur
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
It might just be speculation, but some Brazilian websites mention a tumor, referring to rumours in his hometown S„o Carlos. His mother informed that he'll have surgery today, but other sources deny that, stating that it'll be some other day this week. Let's wait and see.

rikhardur
01-15-2008, 06:01 PM
NenÍ already had surgery and it was in fact to remove a tumor. The location of the tumor wasn't specified and the seriousness of it all will only be known by the end of this week, after further examination. NenÍ's representative said that if the tumor is benign he'll have chances to play in this year's Olympics, if it's otherwise he'll have to get treatment and won't make Beijing.

Dinamita
01-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Nuggets' Nene has surgery to remove testicular tumor
January 15, 2008

Brazil's Nene shoots the ball as he is defended by Argentina's Roman Gonzalez during the first quarter of their FIBA Americas Championship basketball game at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, in this Sept. 1, 2007 file photo. Doctors removed a tumor from Nuggets forward Nene, according to the player's Web site Tuesday Jan. 15, 2008. The statement said the surgery was done Monday at a Denver hospital, but it did not indicate whether the tumor was cancerous or where it was located.
AP - Jan 15, 11:36 am EST
More Photos

ATLANTA (AP) -- Denver Nuggets forward Nene underwent surgery Monday to remove a testicular tumor, and a biopsy will determine if it was cancerous.

The Brazilian player took an indefinite leave of absence Friday, and there is no timetable for his return.

"Nene is recovering well and in good condition," Dr. Fernando J. Kim said.

The operation was done at Denver Health Medical Center. Kim said a "right testicular mass was found incidentally and it was managed surgically." The tumor was found last week in an exam by team physician Dr. Saurabh Mangalik.

"I want to thank my fans, my teammates, the Nuggets organization and everyone that's been supporting me," Nene said in a statement released by the team before Tuesday night's game at Atlanta.

ADVERTISEMENT
"My victory will represent their victory as well. Thanks for being with me in this moment. I will remember all the appreciation. I thank God that we could detect this at such an early stage."

Denver coach George Karl said he first talked with team captains Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby about Nene's condition on Friday, before the team's home game against Orlando.

"I can't deny that talking about Nene was more emotional than some other circumstances I've been presented," Karl said. "I think the team, I don't know what the word is, but it was a very quiet day. The game that night, the personality was introverted, introspective."

Iverson said Nene's surgery has forced players to think about more than games.

"We just want to make sure he does everything he has to do to get well," Iverson said. "This whole thing is so much bigger than basketball. This is life. All we can do is be there to support him and be a phone call away if he needs us."

Karl and his son, Coby, have been treated for cancer. George Karl has had surgery for prostate cancer.

"As a cancer survivor and someone who has watched his son go through two cancer-related surgeries, I know firsthand the emotions and fears that you feel when someone says you might have it," Karl said. "Our job now is to support Nene and be there for him as a family. Basketball is at the bottom of the totem poll at a time like this. We just want him to get healthy."

Nene is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds. He missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery. He was out for all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing a knee ligament, and he was sidelined for 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

mvblair
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I hope Nene recovers quickly. He hasn't spent much time on the basketball court for such a powerful, world-class player. Obviously he should take all the time he needs, because cancer is a very serious thing, and obviously his health must come first.

Neozyrus
01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
He's a great player and a really strong guy and I'm sure that he will recover completely and return to be the player we all remember.

Doesnt matter if it takes some months, or a year, or two... he will return. Do you remember a guy called Lance Armstrong?

rikhardur
01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
The tumor was found to be benign.

rikhardur
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
The tumor was found to be benign.
It turns out that the tumour was malignant, he's undergoing chemotherapy.

mvblair
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
What could be (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8552672) -- March 13, 2008, Denver Post

Power forward Nene, recovering from the removal of a testicular tumor, continues to lift weights, and he shot baskets for the first time at the Pepsi Center.

"I'm happy he's in the building," Karl said. "I'm very hopeful he'll get on the basketball court. And for me, it's a celebration. Whatever he gives — if he gives us five minutes in five games, just to see him run up and down the court, feeling good about his career and his basketball, would be a celebration." I hope he gets back soon. Cancer is such a horrible diesease that to see an athlete like Nene or Lance Armstrong come back is just incredible.

Neozyrus
03-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I simply subscribe every single word that G.Karl said. Just for his (hopefully)recovering from a cancer he has my full respect and admiration (not to mention if he can really retun to the competition).

mvblair
03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
NENE IS BACK!!

Nene Returns as Nuggets Win (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AlLLpF5OnvZyqgfEWP9GEKq8vLYF?gid=200803 2707&prov=ap) -- by ARNIE STAPLETON, March 28, 2008, AP Sports

The minutes didn’t matter. The Denver Nuggets were just encouraged to see a uniform draping Nene’s beefy body again, and that great smile splashed across his face once more.

The big Brazilian forward played the final 77 seconds of the Nuggets’ 118-105 win over the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday night, marking his return to the court 2 1/2 months after surgery to remove a malignant testicular tumor.

“Everybody was excited to see Nene back out there, just to see him back in his uniform, seeing him smile again after the stuff he’s been through,” said Carmelo Anthony, who scored 32 points and keyed the decisive run in the Nuggets’ fourth straight win.

Nene had been out since Jan. 11, and it’s been just over a month since he underwent chemotherapy.

In the locker room afterward, Nene never stopped smiling. He said he’s still full of nerves, still absent enough stamina but certainly not lacking any strength.

“I survived, I’m still here,” he said. “I’m a new man, stronger than ever, I just say, ‘Thank you, everybody.”’

“That game’s bigger than this game,” suggested Anthony.

But this game will long be remembered, too.

When Nene stripped off his warmups and finally entered the game with 1:17 left, he was given a rousing standing ovation and teammate Kenyon Martin embraced him in a bear hug.

“George Karl said, ‘Go ahead, enjoy your party,” Nene said. “It’s a special moment in my life.”

Nene had hoped to play about 5 minutes, but those aspirations were dashed when the Nuggets fell behind by 15 points early on.

Besides, it’s not as though the Nuggets were looking for a major contribution or even an emotional lift.

“It’s not about how he plays,” coach George Karl, a fellow cancer survivor, said before tip-off. “We’re just happy he’s back and we’re going to celebrate his health, we’re going to celebrate his coming off of major cancer surgery, and we’re just going to celebrate. This has nothing to do with basketball. We’re just happy he’s with us.”

Iverson said this was a night he’ll remember forever.

“He’s a teammate, and he’s somebody we care about and we want around, but life is so much bigger than basketball,” Iverson said. “When it happened to him, it put it more in perspective for me that it’s not just about this game, it’s about life. It was just a good feeling and I was happy to be a part of it.”

Karl said he wanted to cry when Nene got into the game.

“It’s worthy of tears,” Karl said. “To see him come back, he’s a hell of a person and to help him through this, if we can help him play this year, it will be a great story, it’ll be a great feeling, it will be a great building block for the character and chemistry of our team.”
Wow!! This is amazing. In less than an NBA season, Nene has left and returned. Medical science is absolutely amazing. Welcome back, Nene!! We're happy to see you so active again!!

rikhardur
03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow!! This is amazing. In less than an NBA season, Nene has left and returned. Medical science is absolutely amazing. Welcome back, Nene!! We're happy to see you so active again!!
Definitely. I expected it to take much longer. I suppose the psychological part is very important as well and NenÍ seems to be very strong mentally. Way to go.

Neozyrus
03-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Incredible. It is in situations like this one when you can see how are the persons behind the players. I'm really glad to see him again so early, he could really be an example for other people with these kind of health issues. :)

damelo
03-29-2008, 11:42 AM
He's a great player and a really strong guy and I'm sure that he will recover completely and return to be the player we all remember.

Doesnt matter if it takes some months, or a year, or two... he will return. Do you remember a guy called Lance Armstrong?

So Nene will be a legally doped athlete too?

Neozyrus
03-29-2008, 11:55 AM
So Nene will be a legally doped athlete too?

:D :D Ok ok i see your point.

I was referring more about the fact that a guy can survive a cancer (that deserves all our respect) and can return to be a professional sportsman. Thats all, lets not get deeper into it.

And we better doesnt listen the "urban legends" about doping that constantly surround the NBA ;)

damelo
03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh, I don't believe anything til I don't think it got proved... Just, the Armstrong case is bit strange... I don't want to see basketball having any problems with doping, that's all.
Anyway, I agree, it's good to see him coming back.

mvblair
04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
In his second game back, he had 4 points, 4 rebounds in a loss to Phoenix. He played 5.5 minutes. It's great to see him back. It really is.