PDA

View Full Version : What is the first WC you remember?

Valexander
08-15-2019, 07:11 PM
What is the first WC you remember watching and your memories as kids?

Although I have some fade memories from Argentina, I wouldn’t say I ve watched it. Just my father and a bunch of relatives at the living room and me mostly bored :p

My first is WC 94.

I remember I was on vacations at my village and all the family and cousins woke up one another as games were mostly after midnight in Greece. Of course highlight game Greece against USA 4.00 in the morning everyone awake and being happy and laughing that we had this experience no matter the outcome.

We were all mad back in Greece with Fasoulas who was the reason that coach was fired just before the start of the WC and You could almost here the “f” words from almost every miss from the FT line from the “Spider-Man”.

In the end with his presence on that tournament he established himself as the best C in Greece for the years to come..

I do remember that Croatia made me feel that there is a smaller dream team apart from the original one.

Finally that tournament and Josť piculin Ortiz made me count Puerto Rico as an American powerhouse like forever no matter the roster.

Levenspiel
08-15-2019, 07:26 PM
the first was 1998 for me, but the one I watched with a passion was 2002 Indianapolis, as Turkey was participating for the first time. The Brazil game will be unforgettable forever, it still hurts to remember Machado's buzzer beater three.

apart from that I was mesmerized by the beauty of basketball Argentina was playing... and I felt they were robbed in the final.

juli_rc
08-15-2019, 07:29 PM
I remember the 2002 WC in Indianapolis...

The national football team failure to advance to the knockout stage, and the economy of the country was really bad (like almost always in Argentina)

So the basketball team come to that tournament with full, young and talented squad (only loss the best player at that time: Marcelo Nicola).

Easy win agaist Venezuela, Russia and New Zeland on the group.
In second round easy wins against China, and not so easy against Germany.
And the came the unbeaten team of NBA players... Another victory.

Easy win in QF against Brazil.
Big win against Germany in SM (injury of Ginobili and out of the final).
Controversial lost in OT in the final against Yugoslavia...

What a golden era!

juli_rc
08-15-2019, 07:38 PM
the first was 1998 for me, but the one I watched with a passion was 2002 Indianapolis, as Turkey was participating for the first time. The Brazil game will be unforgettable forever, it still hurts to remember Machado's buzzer beater three.

apart from that I was mesmerized by the beauty of basketball Argentina was playing... and I felt they were robbed in the final.

Marcelinho Machado what a player! That Argentine almost always beat Brazil (only lost in 2014), but Brazil always have a talented team.
I remember a great tournament from Mehmet Okur, Turkcan and Turkoglu!

Valexander
08-15-2019, 07:42 PM
I remember the 2002 WC in Indianapolis...

The national football team failure to advance to the knockout stage, and the economy of the country was really bad (like almost always in Argentina)

So the basketball team come to that tournament with full, young and talented squad (only loss the best player at that time: Marcelo Nicola).

Easy win agaist Venezuela, Russia and New Zeland on the group.
In second round easy wins against China, and not so easy against Germany.
And the came the unbeaten team of NBA players... Another victory.

Easy win in QF against Brazil.
Big win against Germany in SM (injury of Ginobili and out of the final).
Controversial lost in OT in the final against Yugoslavia...

What a golden era!

Although 2002 Greece didn’t participated I watched the final phase and I remember how embarassed I was that the ref was Greek :p

usagre
08-15-2019, 07:50 PM
The 1986 tournament. I was 14 years old and here in the US it was mainly covered as part of the initial Goodwill Games.
Cable television had just become available for the first time in my neighborhood in Queens and I watched a lot of the games even some not involving the US. The USA -Soviet Union Final during this Cold War era was a big deal and I remember NBA retired legends Bill Russell and Rick Barry doing the TV commentary along with Coach Bob Knight. Due to the Soviet 1984 Olympic boycott this matchup was highly anticipated and it was my first look at Arvydas Sabonis. I remember watching the wild semifinal game between Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union and was getting disappointed that the matchup would not materialize since it looked very bleak for the Soviets late in that game. I also didnít want to see another matchup with Yugoslavia since that game had already taken place earlier in the tournament. The final was a great game with a USA team consisting mainly of Bouges, Kenny Smith, Derrick Mickey, Charles Smith and David Robinson. All young and somewhat less heralded collegians. This team was no where near the powerhouse of Jordan, Ewing, Mullin, Perkins and others from the Olympics two years earlier. But they played a great game with a Tommy Amaker having a big game filling in for the injured Steve Kerr who blew out his knee in the semifinal against Brazil. The Robinson-Sabonis matchup was epic with both players having their moments. The USA almost blew a big lead in the final minutes but a driving Kenny Smith layup over Sabonis in the final minute put the USA up 4. The US went Dean Smith style 4 corners, the jet beat his man off the dribble and got over the giant Sabonis. The Us mismanaged the final seconds and the Soviets actually got up a prayer to win it but it was not to be. I was so disappointed 4 years later during the 1990 tournament when there was absolute zero tv coverage. Living in NYC I had access to a Mexican channel that showed some of the games.

Dtown
08-15-2019, 07:53 PM
94 Dream Team II

I was 9, got my first taste of international basketball in 92, but this time they actually included one of Detroit Pistons for the team, Joe Dumars! So I was completely invested.

christodoulou76
08-15-2019, 08:18 PM
1994. Big Greek crowds in Toronto, eager for a success after the Greek NT debacle at the football world cup earlier that summer. The Greek team was stingy on defense, couldn't score much. I remember Sigalas was good in that tournament. We made it to the semifinals. A big success but also frustrating to just miss out on a medal (something that would be repeated in future tournaments). Key match was the close victory over Canada with Greek-Canadians in a difficult spot but choosing to root for Greece anyway. :p

Valexander
08-15-2019, 08:37 PM
The 1986 tournament. I was 14 years old and here in the US it was mainly covered as part of the initial Goodwill Games.
Cable television had just become available for the first time in my neighborhood in Queens and I watched a lot of the games even some not involving the US. The USA -Soviet Union Final during this Cold War era was a big deal and I remember NBA retired legends Bill Russell and Rick Barry doing the TV commentary along with Coach Bob Knight. Due to the Soviet 1984 Olympic boycott this matchup was highly anticipated and it was my first look at Arvydas Sabonis. I remember watching the wild semifinal game between Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union and was getting disappointed that the matchup would not materialize since it looked very bleak for the Soviets late in that game. I also didn’t want to see another matchup with Yugoslavia since that game had already taken place earlier in the tournament. The final was a great game with a USA team consisting mainly of Bouges, Kenny Smith, Derrick Mickey, Charles Smith and David Robinson. All young and somewhat less heralded collegians. This team was no where near the powerhouse of Jordan, Ewing, Mullin, Perkins and others from the Olympics two years earlier. But they played a great game with a Tommy Amaker having a big game filling in for the injured Steve Kerr who blew out his knee in the semifinal against Brazil. The Robinson-Sabonis matchup was epic with both players having their moments. The USA almost blew a big lead in the final minutes but a driving Kenny Smith layup over Sabonis in the final minute put the USA up 4. The US went Dean Smith style 4 corners, the jet beat his man off the dribble and got over the giant Sabonis. The Us mismanaged the final seconds and the Soviets actually got up a prayer to win it but it was not to be. I was so disappointed 4 years later during the 1990 tournament when there was absolute zero tv coverage. Living in NYC I had access to a Mexican channel that showed some of the games.

That cold-war tournaments with US USSR and Yugoslavia would have been something else. I have only watched some documentaries but they were mostly dedicated in Greek basketball history, and not the whole tournament. I remember also some scenes from the vogues-Drazen match up, as a part of a documentary dedicated to maggsy’s career

usagre
08-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Great thread Valexander. I love hearing people reminiscing and especially the settings and little details of their stories.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 08:38 PM
The first WC I followed and cheered on was 1990 in Argentina. Oh what a sight was that to see for a little kid. Just a year earlier I started playing basketball in the youth setups of a local club, amazed by that demolishing crew in 1989 in Zagreb, when they blew everyone away and still hold a record for the largest average margin on victories on Eurobasket. Expectations were skyhigh for the 1990 in Argentina and we had a heck of a team:

Guards - Drazen Petrovic, Vladimir Perasovic, Jure Zdovc, Zeljko Obradovic, Arijan Komazec
Forwards - Toni Kukoc, Zarko Paspalj, Zoran Cutura, Radovan Curcic
Centers - Vlade Divac, Zoran Savic, Zoran Jovanovic

Coached by Duda Ivkovic. I remember as a kid how pissed I was to see us lose to Puerto Rico in the group stage, we played a terrible game. The team was very complacent at the beginning of the tournament, we were not playing good basketball. It was a heck of a wakeup call. In the second group phase, the team gelled and we blew out Brazil by 20+, Soviet Union by 20+ and Greece I believe by 10 or so. We were riding high. I remember watching Kukoc glide on the court, it was such a sight to see. To me, Tony Kukoc is the most talented player I have ever seen play from old Yugoslavia. I am not saying he is the best (a lot of factors came into play here), but in terms of pure talent, clutch, everything it was Toni.

The Semis was a game against the last Team USA without NBA stars which included Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson, Christian Laetner. It was the best game in the tournament, but we were in a class of our own. The finals was just another beatdown of USSR by 15+. It was a joy to watch. Free flowing basketball, high tempo for that time and a lot of creativity all over the floor. We had no players in the Top 15 scorers of the tournament if I remember right. Something crazy like 6 players averaging double figures...

Adon
08-15-2019, 08:40 PM
Cable television had just become available for the first time in my neighborhood in Queens and I watched a lot of the games even some not involving the US. The USA -Soviet Union Final during this Cold War era was a big deal and I remember NBA retired legends Bill Russell and Rick Barry doing the TV commentary along with Coach Bob Knight. Due to the Soviet 1984 Olympic boycott this matchup was highly anticipated and it was my first look at Arvydas Sabonis. I remember watching the wild semifinal game between Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union and was getting disappointed that the matchup would not materialize since it looked very bleak for the Soviets late in that game. I also didnít want to see another matchup with Yugoslavia since that game had already taken place earlier in the tournament. The final was a great game with a USA team consisting mainly of Bouges, Kenny Smith, Derrick Mickey, Charles Smith and David Robinson. All young and somewhat less heralded collegians. This team was no where near the powerhouse of Jordan, Ewing, Mullin, Perkins and others from the Olympics two years earlier. But they played a great game with a Tommy Amaker having a big game filling in for the injured Steve Kerr who blew out his knee in the semifinal against Brazil. The Robinson-Sabonis matchup was epic with both players having their moments. The USA almost blew a big lead in the final minutes but a driving Kenny Smith layup over Sabonis in the final minute put the USA up 4. The US went Dean Smith style 4 corners, the jet beat his man off the dribble and got over the giant Sabonis. The Us mismanaged the final seconds and the Soviets actually got up a prayer to win it but it was not to be. I was so disappointed 4 years later during the 1990 tournament when there was absolute zero tv coverage. Living in NYC I had access to a Mexican channel that showed some of the games.

I suspected that we are among the oldest here , especially after the discussion for Drazen and PAO. The 1986 WC in Spain was my first also! In that tournament Greece was mediocre at best but Galis was the top scorer in the end. Drazen, Oscar, Sabonis and many other superstars there. Great times!

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 08:42 PM
I suspected that we are among the oldest here , especially after the discussion for Drazen and PAO. The 1986 WC in Spain was my first also! In that tournament Greece was mediocre at best but Galis was the top scorer in the end. Drazen, Oscar, Sabonis and many other superstars there. Great times!

I vaguely remember it, since I was really tiny then, but I remember my dad going nuts in the game versus the Soviets and yelling at Divac :D

usagre
08-15-2019, 08:42 PM
That cold-war tournaments with US USSR and Yugoslavia would have been something else. I have only watched some documentaries but they were mostly dedicated in Greek basketball history, and not the whole tournament. I remember also some scenes from the vogues-Drazen match up, as a part of a documentary dedicated to maggsy’s career

Absolutely it was fantastic. The 1986 and 1988 Olympics. 1990 not so much because although still the Soviet Union in name the Lithuanians did not participate.
Yeah Muggsys size was never seen before and he harassed Drazen at the beginning of the game. But truth be told he shot absolutely horrible in that tourney and was a bit of a turnover machine. But his legend was definitely born in that tournament.

Adon
08-15-2019, 08:46 PM
I vaguely remember it, since I was really tiny then, but I remember my dad going nuts in the game versus the Soviets and yelling at Divac :D

To be honest, I don't remember Divac in that tournament. Probably he was a rookie back then.

c-myers
08-15-2019, 08:47 PM

It was such a hearbroken game. I cannot forget that game it is because we were ahead all game long but that loss was extremely painful. Our rosterwise were quite good and we went there by big expectations but team was inexperienced and could not meet the expectations. We were ahead against both Puerto Rico and Brazil games down to the wire but lost anyway.
Btw if I am not mistaken the player who hit the buzzer beater three was Rogerio Klafke not Machado. Machado had a great match though killed us and scored 30points.

It was amazing to watch Argentina where the story started by golden generation. They have been my all time favourite. It been profoundly joy to watch them for years. Also lately I have been watched golden generation's documentary. It is not possible to be impressed those guys.The most legendary basketball team in history for me. They came nowhere and won all.

usagre
08-15-2019, 08:48 PM
@Coach Z

Yeah the USA had no chance against that Yugoslavian team. Although I remember Alonzo Mourning destroying Vlade in that semifinal. I knew the USA team was in big trouble going into that tournament for two main reasons. We had lost to Yugoslavia in the Goodwill games Final weeks earlier. And that was without the Nba guys Vlade and Petrovic who were gonna join the team for the Worlds. The other reason that the UNLV players Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon and Greg Anthony decided not to participate when it was expected they would. Also think that Dino Radja was injured in the Goodwill games and did not play in the World Championships. Zoran Savic stepped up and was great. That team could have been even better.

usagre
08-15-2019, 08:50 PM
To be honest, I don't remember Divac in that tournament. Probably he was a rookie back then.

Yeah he made a critical late game turnover. I don’t remember if it was a walk or offensive foul. He was so young and a bit chunky.

usagre
08-15-2019, 08:56 PM

My introduction to Greek national team basketball was hearing about the 1987 Eurobasket from some of my Greek friends.
Living in NYC and Queens specifically I was very near Astoria which in those days was a big time Greek area. Everyone went nuts. Not like they would in 2004 with the Euro but still it was crazy.

Adon
08-15-2019, 09:03 PM
My introduction to Greek national team basketball was hearing about the 1987 Eurobasket from some of my Greek friends.
Living in NYC and Queens specifically I was very near Astoria which in those days was a big time Greek area. Everyone went nuts. Not like they would in 2004 with the Euro but still it was crazy.

After 1987 and the absolutely unexpected victory of the Greek NT (vs USSR and Yugoslavia mind you!) I have never missed any international tournament. Btw, that was an example of how one player (Galis) can change the history and raise a mediocre team to the top.

Valexander
08-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Great thread Valexander. I love hearing people reminiscing and especially the settings and little details of their stories.

After all our teenage memories is the reason why we follow those tournaments, no matter the absences or our current NT roster.

And as I see it was a nice opportunity for all of us arround 40’s to get out of the closet:p

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 09:06 PM
1998 was not my first but I have a nice story about that one. I was on my first solo summer vacation with friends in Greece, I was 17. We went to Corfu and stayed there camping near Paleokastritsa for a month, just enjoying our time, going crazy every day on the beach and trying to pick up tourists teenage girls in the evening. Then the WC in Athens came :D We were watching the games with the locals and all was fun and games, until the dreaded Semi-Final match of Yugoslavia vs Greece, which we won in OT. In the group stage we beat the Greeks by 15, but they came back hard at us with the local crowd behind them in the Semi Finals.

So now, you can imagine 4 teenage boys from Serbia, a little drunk and going crazy with every basket, watching the game in a local taverna. The Greeks giving us looks, throwing stuff at us :D It was a crazy experience. I remember Rebraca beasting then and Bodiroga taking over as the leader of the NT. It was a summer to remember. My parents came to Corfu in late August to see a close friend, a wonderful man by the name of Kostas Stavrinidis. The fate was cruel, and less than a year later, we were being bombed by NATO. I was supposed to go to a study abroad program in USA, and some family living in Vienna was ready to receive us there. The borders were hard to pass since you needed special papers and I was also earlier in the year put into the military registry. We ended up falsifying some documents that my mom was sick and ended up in Budapest. There, we were refused a visa and entry to Austria and we were in a huge problem. Airport in Belgrade was not working, I couldn't travel etc. So, a great man Kostas pulled some strings in a Greek consulate and got us Greek visas :)

The odissey was just starting since we couldn't get back into Serbia, we went around through Romania and Bulgaria to end up on Corfu 2 days later :D Just a few days later, Eurobasket in France in 1999 was starting. A tournament painful to watch in more ways than one. I was so angry :D Kostas was a great host, and we spent about 2 months there, before I flew to Denver. I still remember playing hoops with the local kids in Corfu, wearing my Penny Hardaway jersey and talking about Knicks vs Spurs just weeks before in the Finals :D

When I look at that 1998 WC, that was truly a last summer of my childhood. I grew up that summer in more ways than one (all the props to a busty German girl in our camp) and a year later, everything changed...

usagre
08-15-2019, 09:07 PM
After 1987 and the absolutely unexpected victory of the Greek NT (vs USSR and Yugoslavia mind you!) I have never missed again any international tournament. Btw, that was an example of how one player (Galis) can change the history and raise a mediocre team to the top.

Yeah I was in Greece the summer of ‘84 or ‘85 I don’t remember on vacation with my family. And honestly as a 12 or 13 year old I didn’t notice any kids playing basketball or courts in general. It was 100% soccer. Gailis did change the course of history and all the wonderful players that followed.

usagre
08-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Great stuff Coach Z.
I remember the 1998 tournament being ruined by the NBA lockout. Gary Payton, Grant Hill, Tim Duncan and others were replaced by European league Americans and coached by Rudy T still managed the Bronze. Espn had the rights to the tournament and even with no NBA players they had to broadcast the tournament. I remember being in a sports bar telling the bartender to put the Fiba Worlds on and his reply was what the hell is that?

Adon
08-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Yeah I was in Greece the summer of ‘84 or ‘85 I don’t remember on vacation with my family. And honestly as a 12 or 13 year old I didn’t notice any kids playing basketball or courts in general. It was 100% soccer. Gailis did change the course of history and all the wonderful players that followed.

Actually, Athens was full of open bball fields and there were no football fields unless you were playing for a club. But bball was not a popular sport to watch. For example, back then, I was playing every day but I didn't care at all about our semi-professional championship.Indeed, after 1987, bball became our "national" sport.

Valexander
08-15-2019, 09:21 PM
1998 was not my first but I have a nice story about that one. I was on my first solo summer vacation with friends in Greece, I was 17. We went to Corfu and stayed there camping near Paleokastritsa for a month, just enjoying our time, going crazy every day on the beach and trying to pick up tourists teenage girls in the evening. Then the WC in Athens came :D We were watching the games with the locals and all was fun and games, until the dreaded Semi-Final match of Yugoslavia vs Greece, which we won in OT. In the group stage we beat the Greeks by 15, but they came back hard at us with the local crowd behind them in the Semi Finals.

So now, you can imagine 4 teenage boys from Serbia, a little drunk and going crazy with every basket, watching the game in a local taverna. The Greeks giving us looks, throwing stuff at us :D It was a crazy experience. I remember Rebraca beasting then and Bodiroga taking over as the leader of the NT. It was a summer to remember. My parents came to Corfu in late August to see a close friend, a wonderful man by the name of Kostas Stavrinidis. The fate was cruel, and less than a year later, we were being bombed by NATO. I was supposed to go to a study abroad program in USA, and some family living in Vienna was ready to receive us there. The borders were hard to pass since you needed special papers and I was also earlier in the year put into the military registry. We ended up falsifying some documents that my mom was sick and ended up in Budapest. There, we were refused a visa and entry to Austria and we were in a huge problem. Airport in Belgrade was not working, I couldn't travel etc. So, a great man Kostas pulled some strings in a Greek consulate and got us Greek visas :)

The odissey was just starting since we couldn't get back into Serbia, we went around through Romania and Bulgaria to end up on Corfu 2 days later :D Just a few days later, Eurobasket in France in 1999 was starting. A tournament painful to watch in more ways than one. I was so angry :D Kostas was a great host, and we spent about 2 months there, before I flew to Denver. I still remember playing hoops with the local kids in Corfu, wearing my Penny Hardaway jersey and talking about Knicks vs Spurs just weeks before in the Finals :D

When I look at that 1998 WC, that was truly a last summer of my childhood. I grew up that summer in more ways than one (all the props to a busty German girl in our camp) and a year later, everything changed...

Wow I had goosebumps reading that story brother.

I am happy that In these rough years as a teenager you have sweet memories from greece.

Luckily you weren’t at Greece on 95 where our (basketball) complex against Serbia was at peak :D

Adon
08-15-2019, 09:22 PM
@ Coachz

Eurobasket 1999, without (the bombarded) Yugoslavia, was another disgrace. I feel for you.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Wow I had goosebumps reading that story brother.

I am happy that In these rough years as a teenager you have sweet memories from greece.

Luckily you weren’t at Greece on 95 where our (basketball) complex against Serbia was at peak :D

Oh I was in Greece then as well. I was on Paros with my parents though :D

Yeah man, in tough times you can always see who are people that come through for you. What Greeks, and I have to be very clear here Greeks the people (not your government and authorities, which were just awful with visas etc), did for us in the 90s and later on is something I will always remember. I lived in Greece later on from 2003-2005, lived through the titles in Euro 2004 football and Euro 2005 basketball. That are some of my sweetest memories :D

usagre
08-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Had it not been for the NBA lockout this was the USA team set to go to Athens for the 1998 world championships.

Gary Payton. (1st team All NBA)
Tim Hardaway (2nd team All NBA)
Terrell Brandon
Allan Houston
Glen Rice. (3rd team All NBA)
Grant Hill. (2nd team all NBA)
Tom Gugliotta
Chris Webber
Kevin Garnett
Christian Laettner
Vin Baker. (2nd team All NBA)
Tim Duncan (1st team All NBA)

Not as good as the original NBA/USA team in the Worlds from ‘94 but still a very strong team.

usagre
08-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Oh I was in Greece then as well. I was on Paros with my parents though :D
D

Wow just missed you. Punta beach summer of 1996 for me.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 10:08 PM
@ Coachz

Eurobasket 1999, without (the bombarded) Yugoslavia, was another disgrace. I feel for you.

Yugoslavia played in 1999. We actually won the Bronze. But that team was painful to watch. Italians got their revenge on us in the Semi-Finals for the 1997 Eurobasket Final where they scored 49 points :D

You are thinking Eurobasket 1993, when Pesic won with Germany. That's when we were out due to sanctions, along with 1992 Barcelona Olympics and 1994 Toronto WC.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Wow just missed you. Punta beach summer of 1996 for me.

Farangas baby :D :D :D

Parents are hippies btw, so that doesn't surprise :D

usagre
08-15-2019, 10:20 PM
I love the Greek islands and always have. Have been to so many. As a kid with my parents once and then as a college student with friends, later with my wife and finally with my daughter. Mykonos, Paros, Ios (that was nuts), Santorini, Corfu and Zakynthos. Beautiful places.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 10:26 PM
I love the Greek islands and always have. Have been to so many. As a kid with my parents once and then as a college student with friends, later with my wife and finally with my daughter. Mykonos, Paros, Ios (that was nuts), Santorini, Corfu and Zakynthos. Beautiful places.

Me too mate. After the Mundobasket, I will take a vacation. Crete, then I will either go to Milos or to Folegandros. I need a solo vacation, so I will bring some books, and enjoy food, people and wine.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Yeah he made a critical late game turnover. I donít remember if it was a walk or offensive foul. He was so young and a bit chunky.

It is pure stupidity to lose this :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XugQZHO3S1k

I remember my dad yelling at the TV. That scene is very vivid in my mind.

usagre
08-15-2019, 10:46 PM
It is pure stupidity to lose this :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XugQZHO3S1k

I remember my dad yelling at the TV. That scene is very vivid in my mind.

Yeah it’s amazing that comebacks like that actually happen. Believe me I was on the receiving end in 1995 playoffs game 1
Knicks-Pacers. Reggie Miller that bastard.

usagre
08-15-2019, 11:03 PM
You know it’s funny that 6 years later in the ‘92 Olympic semifinal a lot of the players involved in this game took part in a similar weird comeback but not as crazy. The Russian team choked away the game at the end to the Croatians.

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-15-2019, 11:29 PM
The first basketball world cup that I watched was Indianapolis 2002. I was 10 at the time, but I watched almost all the games. That was the only occasion that my father let me stay longer awake. I remember like it was yesterday when our school teacher was bashing our team after loss against Puerto Rico and saying that we will experience a disaster. I remember the USA game in the QF, Bodiroga carrying the ball seconds after the final whistle, Jermaine O'Neal's confused face. The strange game against New Zealand and Pero Cameron :) And of course, final game against Argentina. Very nice memories.

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-15-2019, 11:34 PM
Just thinking about it, I remember that they were playing Mary J Blige song "Family Affair" during the half time against USA on our national TV. �� It's strange how such insignificant details stay in your mind forever, but it just shows what an impact that game had on us :D

usagre
08-15-2019, 11:53 PM
I hate to admit but there's poetic justice when a team like Serbia wins that tournament on US soil only 3 years removed from the bombings. It meant a million times more to them and their country than to bunch of American players and people who in all honesty cares very little to not at all about it.

paspalj
08-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Some really great stuff here. Lots of interesting people with interesting backstories :) It's also funny to see how although in different parts of the world, our paths might have crossed at some point in time :)

Since we are talking about WCs, the first one that I actually followed (and was old enough to know what's going on) closely was the U18 one in 1995. I was watching the tournament at my grandparents house and then my entire family went to Athens for the final.

After that, I was obsessed with basketball.
The first mens WC that I followed was 1998. I got to go to the stadium for the semifinal. Oh man...what a heartbreak. I remember how one of my favorite players back then (Oikonomou, because of Panathinaikos and the 1996 Euroleague) had a great game but it was also the day that I got a new favorite player - Bodiroga :o

Tevfik1907
08-16-2019, 01:27 AM
Not sure about what I remember, but what I want to remember is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2irJXoIy2I

And this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28MRNCOsmk

Levenspiel
08-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Btw if I am not mistaken the player who hit the buzzer beater three was Rogerio Klafke not Machado. Machado had a great match though killed us and scored 30points.

Was it? Could be. Machado scored so many threes that day that my mind might have pictured him making the buzzer beater as well. :D. The Varejao bros are also fresh in my memory.

The first basketball world cup that I watched was Indianapolis 2002. I was 10 at the time, but I watched almost all the games. That was the only occasion that my father let me stay longer awake. I remember like it was yesterday when our school teacher was bashing our team after loss against Puerto Rico and saying that we will experience a disaster. I remember the USA game in the QF, Bodiroga carrying the ball seconds after the final whistle, Jermaine O'Neal's confused face. The strange game against New Zealand and Pero Cameron :) And of course, final game against Argentina. Very nice memories.
Yeah, Pero Cameron :D, and that New Zealand team who made it to the semis, by beating Puerto Rico who had had beaten both Yugoslavia and Spain earlier. Daddy Ortiz, Ayuso with the headband, Arroyo with a masterful performance. All these players later played in TBL, btw (I mean Cameron, Ayuso and Arroyo). There are so many small memories for me as well from that tournament, I was 21 at the time. It was the summer of my graduation from the university too, and the FIFA world cup where Turkey had a historic run (I was lost in watching the QF game, and had forgotten to pick up my parents from the bus station).

Not sure about what I remember, but what I want to remember is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2irJXoIy2I
This was such an underdog team, with none of our stars participating. They played their heart out, achieving our best record ever. Kuqo, Gonlum and Erdogan played big. Still love them for it. Kuqo & Gonlum's celebration picture still hangs on wall. The 2nd time we beat LTU in that tournament was crazy (meaningless game, I think it was 5-8 placement game, with Ender Arslan missing the 2nd FT, getting the offensive reb and scoring the 3 pointer).

And this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28MRNCOsmk
I was waiting in the passport queue in Chicago when this game was being played. I was dying out to find out what was the result, i didn't have a phone with internet. I called a friend to ask the result, he said it's not over yet, it's the last 20 seconds or something, and he communicated the game to me on the phone. at the end I was jumping in the line like an idiot (yeah that's my style), people looking at me weird. I guess I was the happiest entrant to the US that day.

PS. It was also probably the ugliest day at IBN. It was a total shitshow. Massive number of members (Serbian & Turkish) were banned, many threads deleted/locked.

vivo
08-16-2019, 11:29 AM
The first WC I remember is 2002. I wasn't playing or really following basketball back then, but I watched Turkey's games and some other games. Everyone was hyped up after 2001 but it was really an underachievement. One thing I do vividly remember is "12 giant men" commercials and masks of our players that were distributed by Garanti (bank).

christodoulou76
08-16-2019, 12:04 PM
this thread should win thread of the year on IBN

Tevfik1907
08-16-2019, 07:09 PM
I was waiting in the passport queue in Chicago when this game was being played. I was dying out to find out what was the result, i didn't have a phone with internet. I called a friend to ask the result, he said it's not over yet, it's the last 20 seconds or something, and he communicated the game to me on the phone. at the end I was jumping in the line like an idiot (yeah that's my style), people looking at me weird. I guess I was the happiest entrant to the US that day.

PS. It was also probably the ugliest day at IBN. It was a total shitshow. Massive number of members (Serbian & Turkish) were banned, many threads deleted/locked.

2010 was a really great year for us, also Greece game was great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQQB-QGGCq8

slice me nice
08-16-2019, 07:30 PM
The first WC I remember is 2002. I wasn't playing or really following basketball back then, but I watched Turkey's games and some other games. Everyone was hyped up after 2001 but it was really an underachievement. One thing I do vividly remember is "12 giant men" commercials and masks of our players that were distributed by Garanti (bank).

What about the whole team except Kutluay dyed their hairs blonde? :D Terrible synergy method ever. The team decided this after some Turkish national football team players (E.g Davala :D) got their hairs cut in weird styles during fabulous WC 2002. They strangely connected the rate of good performance with funniness of hair. Kutluay objected the team and didn't dye his hair. After the tournament, all eyes were on him and he is pointed as the reason of this unsuccessful tourney as he broke the synergy of team according to some media members. So his obstinacy literally put a jinx on team :D

https://twitter.com/hidoturkoglu15/status/566352266584940544

Adon
08-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Yugoslavia played in 1999. We actually won the Bronze. But that team was painful to watch. Italians got their revenge on us in the Semi-Finals for the 1997 Eurobasket Final where they scored 49 points :D

You are thinking Eurobasket 1993, when Pesic won with Germany. That's when we were out due to sanctions, along with 1992 Barcelona Olympics and 1994 Toronto WC.

My bad. In the 90s I was experimenting (a lot )with psychedelics and that decade is a blur ;)

vivo
08-16-2019, 09:10 PM
What about the whole team except Kutluay dyed their hairs blonde? :D Terrible synergy method ever. The team decided this after some Turkish national football team players (E.g Davala :D) got their hairs cut in weird styles during fabulous WC 2002. They strangely connected the rate of good performance with funniness of hair. Kutluay objected the team and didn't dye his hair. After the tournament, all eyes were on him and he is pointed as the reason of this unsuccessful tourney as he broke the synergy of team according to some media members. So his obstinacy literally put a jinx on team :D

https://twitter.com/hidoturkoglu15/status/566352266584940544

God, it is so terrible apparently I deleted it out of my mind :D

HeinrichMohr
08-17-2019, 11:28 AM
My first World Championship was 1986 too just like other people here because i don't remember anything from 1982. I was 8 years old and it was special to me not only because it was the first one that i remember but also because the Soviet Union played the group stage games in my hometown. I remember the impact of Vladimir Tkachenko even though the good one was Arvydas. Anyway the image of the big guy with moustache and the words "CCCP" in his chest became absolutely iconic to the point in which the kids playing basketball that were tall, were not tall... they were "Tachenkos" cause we had no clue about how it was spelled.

Not to mention Drazen Petrovic and the comeback of the Soviet Union in the semifinals. People were rooting the ones in red and Petrovic was so annoyed that was reported to have said "i'm not going to play in this country (Spain) ever again". Two years later he played for Real Madrid. Finally i should recall Muggsy Bogues that taught kids like me that you can play ball even if you are small and the quality of Oscar Schmidt Becerra that ended up playing in Spain too.

Nemanja
08-17-2019, 03:42 PM
2002 . I had six and a half years . Like child I devotedly followed sport ,even voleyball and water polo .I dont precisely remember how,but I was well informed about world basktball in that time .Although,I almost nothing remember from Eurobasket 2001 ,and I didnt watched Nba ,due terms .But I knew for example, very good who is Nash ,and what their absence significants to Canada .

What I remember from tournament.I didnt watched Yugoslavia-Usa, because unlike my family I wasnt sleeped before game,because game was played by CET 2 or 3 hours after midnight .And I watched Germany -Spain quarter-final .I dont remember anything from this game,but I remember that is game due I missed hystorical win against Usa. By the way,Germany was very good on this tournament.In semi-final,Yugoslavia against New Zealand ,I remember we had - 15 at half time, at finally we won +15 . Final against Argentina that lasted 3 hours ,intense game for God sake ,psychologically tough ,Argentina played a little bit better,Oberto scored 25 or 30 points ,probbably best game in carreer ,Ginobili played little due injury ,but had some contribution, during the game looks like Argentina will win ,but no one wholly can says why we won? Bodiroga played amazing ,others played appropriately .

HeinrichMohr
08-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Bodiroga played amazing ,others played appropriately .

I remember when everybody was saying that the star was Stojakovic, yet when games became ugly the ball was for Bodiroga.

usagre
08-17-2019, 04:59 PM
I remember when everybody was saying that the star was Stojakovic, yet when games became ugly the ball was for Bodiroga.

That team was loaded. Proof of that was Bodiroga had a bad game in the quarterfinals against the US and they still won.

madmax
08-17-2019, 05:07 PM
1998 WC for me. Watched majority of the games, as I still had plenty of time on my teenager hands and was rooting passionately against Yugoslavia (to no avail though, as they were too good back then for any team not comprised of NBA stars lol). I also remember almost jumping through the roof when a modest russian side beat pedestrian US squad too:D

Nemanja
08-17-2019, 05:29 PM

I watched full game replay ,one year ago or two year ago .Stojakovic made a lot shoots ,in some part of game he kept team ,but little a bit forced ,that is visible on box score,shoot for 3p had maybe 2-11.

CoachZ
08-17-2019, 06:15 PM
I watched full game replay ,one year ago or two year ago .Stojakovic made a lot shoots ,in some part of game he kept team ,but little a bit forced ,that is visible on box score,shoot for 3p had maybe 2-11.

He had 26 points, with 2/12 from 3, but 6/8 for 2 and 8/8 from the line :D :D :D

If it wasn't for that game, shooting so much 3s, he would've finished the tournament with 50%+ FG, 40%+ 3 and 90%+ FT.

Jon_Koncak
08-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Bodiroga was god awful in the semis against that bad USA team and watching that game made you realise why he never atempted to play overseas.

CoachZ
08-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Bodiroga was god awful in the semis against that bad USA team and watching that game made you realise why he never atempted to play overseas.

It was actually in the 1/4 Finals. Semis were versus New Zealand :D

And so many of us were richer for that experience, that he didn't go overseas to warm bench for someone.

micko
08-19-2019, 02:01 AM
it seems that I'm the oldest here. :D The first WC I remember was the '78 title in Manila on our black and white TV when our team won, and a great joy it brought to my home town winning against Soviets in the overtime game with one of the guys on the team who lived a hundred yards from our house - Radovanović, and with another one of the local players on the team - legendary Delibasic. The win was also announcing the upcoming success of the local club that won an equivalent to today's Euroleague title the following year after that WC. It proved that winning in 1970 was not a fluke.

The next two WCs were interesting but bring bad memories. The 1982 WC was broadcast in the middle of the night and I missed watching many games but was awake and watching with huge disappointment the very end of the deciding medal round game we lost when Soviets squeezed out a win after we were ahead most of the game. And 1986 - and the unfortunate choking wasting a 9 point lead in the last 50 or so seconds, which hurts to this day.

Tesla
08-19-2019, 08:20 AM
I was too young to watch it but through replays in the following years the first World Cup I remember is Argentina 1990 won by Yugoslavia against Soviet Union. I just remember a lot of replays on Serbian tv. Pretty sure Divac scored a shot back to basket over his head against someone. I mean when was the last time that was even attempted? I'm sure someone here remembers which game. Something audacious as that reminds me of Jordan taking a free throw with his eyes closed... After 1990, Yugoslavia/Serbia was suspended from participating in sports for about 5 years. This was such a painful period for all sports especially basketball. As soon as sanctions were lifted Yugoslavia won the first tournament they were allowed to participate in, the Eurobasket in Greece which I think really set up the entire mentality of Serbian basketball. Unfortunately the same thing didn't happen in football. Croatia came third in France 98 when Serbia were suspended and that really set them up when Serbia could only watch.

Mindozas
08-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Missed some IBN action, great thread here.

My first real one was 1998. Even tho first some little moments comes from 1990 when USSR played Puerto Rico. Don't know why that game exactly, but probably cause I liked the country name of Puerto Rico, it sounded really cool for me as a kid :) We were on vacations on Lith seaside small town Sventoji and with my father went to watch the game in a small motel hall, filled with some 20 chairs, but it had a rare thing there - colour TV, not much bigger than some mobile screens now :) It was like a cinema back in these old days. Movies from old VHS were also showed there. Don't remember the score, the stage, just remember asking dad who we are cheering for when all the Liths refused to come (Sabas, Kurtinaitis, Marciulionis and etc) due to Lithuania starting a big battle for independence and trying to break out of USSR prison. There was only head coach Garastas who stayed with Soviet NT, and who almost paid a big price for that, cause when our Lithuanian NT was starting to regain life in less than a year, Garastas, who was our best coach, a coach of golden Zalgiris, wasn't invited by federation. No wonder he was taken as a traitor. And only before Barcelona Olympics, our star players went and talked to him about joining the squad, cause obviously we needed him.

Lithuania didn't play in 1994, due to huge failure in 1993 Eurobasket qualies. I remember 1994 WC was broadcasted maybe on Eurosport only here in LT, so watched some moments due to NBA stars, but that's it. 1998 was the first one I really watched and cheered for LT, but that team was just getting on their feet and growing, no wonder was ripped apart by strong Russia team in 1/4. But of course it was still sweet to beat USA in group, even without their NBAers

This was such an underdog team, with none of our stars participating. They played their heart out, achieving our best record ever. Kuqo, Gonlum and Erdogan played big. Still love them for it. Kuqo & Gonlum's celebration picture still hangs on wall. The 2nd time we beat LTU in that tournament was crazy (meaningless game, I think it was 5-8 placement game, with Ender Arslan missing the 2nd FT, getting the offensive reb and scoring the 3 pointer).

I remember that game :) Nothing to take out of you guys, but our team was not better than yours, it was so poorly coached LT team without proper PGs and Siskauskas who could run the point. I remember Macas trying to do everything at the backcourt, obviously he couldn't and came after a horrible NBA debut season