PDA

View Full Version : Your team's expectations: Success, Acceptable and Failure

Dtown
08-15-2019, 01:36 AM
What, in your opinion merits a successful tournament for your team, what's acceptable and what would be a failure for your team?

With the Olympics now tied to this event many teams will have a tangible prize at the end of this World Cup even if it's not the grand prize. So what are your expectations for your team?

Team USA
Success: Gold, no surprises here. The US is always going to Gold or bust.

Acceptable: It might be an unpopular opinion, but given this is one of weakest pro US teams on paper. If we win Silver or Bronze, I'm going to be disappointed but I won't be mad.

Failure: Knocked out in the round of 8/Not automatically qualifying for the Olympics. Finishing 5th or lower would be an abject failure, and if that means the US doesn't automatically qualify for the Olympics it would be a complete disaster.

CoachZ
08-15-2019, 01:53 AM
Team Serbia

Major Success: Gold and beating Team USA in the process. Nothing to add here, this would be a perfect send off for the current generation of guys like Bjelica, Teodosic etc. It will not be easy, but I don't think that it is out of the question if we play up to our potential.

Success: Silver and an automatic qualy for the Olympics. Basically, if we get it people in Serbia would be more than satisfied. Of course, this means losing to Team USA. If by some chance we are playing for gold versus somebody else but Team USA and we fail to win, that would not be a success then.

Acceptable: Bronze. Automatic qualy for the Olympics. I wouldn't be happy about it and I think that it would not be a successful tournament but I think Djordjevic survives that result.

Failure: Everything else. We have to play up to our talent level, so anything outside of the semis at least should be a failure.

usagre
08-15-2019, 02:02 AM
I completely agree with Coach Z’s assessment of Serbia.

For US

Success obviously Gold

Acceptable. Like Dtown said not really acceptable but I won’t be irate if they were eliminated only by Serbia.

Failure. Any other scenario.

okanial
08-15-2019, 04:05 AM
For Turkey

Major success: Semi finals and above

Success: top 8

Acceptable: third in second group, top 10 finish

Failure: anything below

Adon
08-15-2019, 04:18 AM
For Greece:

Super success: Any medal

Success: SF

Acceptable: (?) Top-8

Huge failure: Anything else

.................................................. ....

Notice:
Perhaps the majority of bb fans in Greece has higher standards, like:

Success: Any medal
Acceptable: SF
Failure: TOP-8 or below

Efesdxb
08-15-2019, 07:23 AM
TURKEY

Major Success: Medal or direct qualification to Olympics (if two of Canada, Australia, Argentina get medals with USA and we finish top 5)

Success: Quarter Final and Berth for Olympic Qualification Tournament

Acceptable: Finishing 3rd at 2nd Round

Failure: Finishing 3rd or below in Round 1

reamily
08-15-2019, 08:36 AM
Success: Olympic Slot
Acceptable OQT slot
Failure: Go Winless

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Montenegro:
Qualifying to round 2: big success
Not qualifying to round 2, OQT slot: moderate success
Not qualifying to round 2, no OQT slot: big failure

Shawshank
08-15-2019, 02:09 PM
For Lithuania

Success: Semifinal

Acceptable: 1/4 game

Failure: not making top 8

okanial
08-15-2019, 02:12 PM
For Lithuania

Success: Semifinal

Acceptable: 1/4 game

Failure: not making top 8

Id say not making out of the first group is acceptable for Lithuania but making out of first but not making it out of second group is failure

juli_rc
08-15-2019, 02:21 PM
For Argentina

Imposible: Semifinal.
Success: Quarterfinal or less (only with direct qualification to Olympics).
Failure: 9-16.
Big Failure: 16 and lower.

Shawshank
08-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Id say not making out of the first group is acceptable for Lithuania but making out of first but not making it out of second group is failure

I think you dont know how possible second group of Lithuania could look France,Australia,Germany,Lithuania this is olympic tournament level group.Alll teams with multiple nba players.It will be very tough to survive this group.

But saying that if Lithuania is not competing in 1/4 playoofs game this is bad tournament no matter what for us.Like one former our NT coach said if you are not playing in 1/4 game you are not on basketball map.

mojo13
08-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Canada:
Success: Somehow Qualifying directly to the Olympics. We'd need some help from other nations to see Argentina, Venezuela and Brazil and the other Americas all fail to advance from the 1st pool.
Acceptable: Beat the teams we still should beat in Senegal, DR and Jordan, placing 17-22 and directly qualifying of the Olympic Qualifier tournaments.
Failure: Placing lower than 23 and missing the Qualifier tournaments. This would be a disaster on top of the disaster we are currently experiencing.

paspalj
08-16-2019, 02:26 AM
For Greece:

Super success: Any medal

Success: SF

Acceptable: (?) Top-8

Huge failure: Anything else

^ this guy gets it.

ZaliaBalta
08-16-2019, 05:47 AM
IMHO, for LITHUANIA

Major Success: Finals or Direct qualification for Olympics or Any medal

Success: Top 4 (Semi Finals)

Acceptable: Dropping out at 1/4 against USA

Failure: 9th place and lower.

Mindozas
08-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Major success: making it to Olympics via World Cup
Success: not making it, but finishing somewhere around top8
Acceptable: 2nd round and finishing in Olympic qualifiers places
Failure: losing to Senegal and finishing 0-3 in group

Darrell Armstrong
08-16-2019, 08:13 AM
For Spain:

- Success: Any medal
- Acceptable: playing close games against the best teams. This likely requires reaching SFs, as most of the best teams on paper are on the other side of the bracket. But if we lose in QFs against the eventual champion I won't complain
- Failure: getting stomped. Failing to compete against the good teams

Unlike fans from other countries, I'm not concerned at all with qualifying for the Olympic Games. No way in hell FIBA leaves us out regardless of our performance in this tournament.

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Two very different views from Zalia Balta and Mindozas. I am curious to know what are the general expectations from Lithuanian people? Zalia Balta's stance looks maybe too ambitious.

Mindozas
08-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Two very different views from Zalia Balta and Mindozas. I am curious to know what are the general expectations from Lithuanian people? Zalia Balta's stance looks maybe too ambitious.

If you'd ask people in the streets of LT, you'd probably get some 50% expectations of gold and some 10% of Arvydas Sabonis being MVP

No way in hell FIBA leaves us out regardless of our performance in this tournament.

They won't, you are 2nd in rankings and best in Europe, so impossible to drop that much to not get invitation :)

HeinrichMohr
08-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Success: Semifinals.
Acceptable: QF playing well and getting an olympic place. Prefer to qualify instead of getting a wildcard.
Failure: Falling before QF or getting it playing bad.

MrRager
08-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Major success: SF
Success: winning over AUS/CAN, losing in a tight match against France, putting up a fight in the QF vs. USA.
Acceptable: getting crushed in the QF vs. USA
FAILURE: losing against Greece AGAIN in the QF
Not acceptable: not getting out of the 2nd group
SHUT IT DOWN BOYS: Anything else.

Adon
08-18-2019, 11:49 AM
FAILURE: losing against Greece AGAIN in the QF

Imo it's not a failure but the most expected outcome if we cross each other. It could be a failure if you think that Lithuania is clearly a better team, which could be the case in 2017.

MrRager
08-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Imo it's not a failure but the most expected outcome if we cross each other. It could be a failure if you think that Lithuania is clearly a better team, which could be the case in 2017.

No,I don't think Lithuania is a much better team, I think Greece is a better team. But the most expected outcome? I think the chances are 60-40.
And because Lithuania lost to Greece in 2017 (which wasn't a better team then), players must want revenge. Dropping out due Greece (which isn't on USA, Serbia, Spain or France level) two tournaments in a row would be devastating.

vivo
08-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Turkey

Major Success: Semi final or automatic Olympics quali
Success: Quarter finals because Greece. OQT.
Acceptable: Going to second group and die fighting lol
Failure: Loss against Czechia or Japan. I can already see news titles

Adon
08-18-2019, 12:34 PM
No,I don't think Lithuania is a much better team, I think Greece is a better team. But the most expected outcome? I think the chances are 60-40.
And because Lithuania lost to Greece in 2017 (which wasn't a better team then), players must want revenge. Dropping out due Greece (which isn't on USA, Serbia, Spain or France level) two tournaments in a row would be devastating.

When I said the most "expected outcome" I meant something like 60-40 or 70-30.

I see what you mean about your possible disappointment but I disagree on 2 points.
1. Greek NT is quite different now than in 2017. Don't judge just looking at the names of the roster. I believe it's the best NT of the last decade or more, from what I have seen in the friendlies.
2. USA and Serbia are of a higher level apparently, France and Spain probably not.

Levenspiel
08-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Turkey

Major Success: Semi final or automatic Olympics quali
Success: Quarter finals because Greece. OQT.
Acceptable: Going to second group and die fighting lol
Failure: Loss against Czechia or Japan. I can already see news titles
this minus one step down:
Major Success: QF
Success: Going to second group
Acceptable: fight to the last drop of blood, regardless of the results
Failure: zero wins

08-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Canada was dealt a heavy blow by being put in the most competitive group and having almost all of their top talent drop out of the tournament. I also expect them to be battling for olympic qualifier tournament placement in the Classification round. It's a shame the stars didn't seize this opportunity to play in the world cup where they could have (somewhat easily) secured olympic birth and a realistic shot at a medal.

vivo
08-18-2019, 02:50 PM
this minus one step down:
Major Success: QF
Success: Going to second group
Acceptable: fight to the last drop of blood, regardless of the results
Failure: zero wins

I respect that but I can't really see wins against Czechia without Vesely and Japan as a success. QF might be a major success, it's debatable.

Adon
08-18-2019, 02:57 PM
I respect that but I can't really see wins against Czechia without Vesely and Japan as a success. QF might be a major success, it's debatable.

Levenspiel's (very) low expectations protect him (100%) for any future disappointment. I find yours more realistic.

vivo
08-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Levenspiel's (very) low expectations protect him (100%) for any future disappointment. I find yours more realistic.

When it comes to disappointment I'm more than ready thanks to our (Fener's) football branch, no results can hurt me so I can guess without fear :D

Valexander
08-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Major success=SF
Success=acceptable=QF
Failure=Anything else.

I could have seperate success and acceptable, because a loss to a QF is a realistic scenario.
But come on, we brought the NBAs MVP to go 9-16 unseeded??

If that happens turn off the lights, go to sleep, and give federationís keys to Toruko :p

MrRager
08-18-2019, 03:26 PM
When I said the most "expected outcome" I meant something like 60-40 or 70-30.

I see what you mean about your possible disappointment but I disagree on 2 points.
1. Greek NT is quite different now than in 2017. Don't judge just looking at the names of the roster. I believe it's the best NT of the last decade or more, from what I have seen in the friendlies.
2. USA and Serbia are of a higher level apparently, France and Spain probably not.

Well 60-40 means that a team would win 6 out of 10 times, is it really the MOST expected outcome? I consider this to be a "more likely to win" scenario. But nevermind about it.
I meant no disrespect, Greece just isn't among usual elite basketball powerhouses, though this year Greece is on that level and even them going to the finals wouldn't surprise me. But losing to them two times in a row (I emphasise two times in a row, not them), even if they are elite this year, would be a major disappointment.

Adon
08-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Well 60-40 means that a team would win 6 out of 10 times, is it really the MOST expected outcome? I consider this to be a "more likely to win" scenario.

Most expected <=> Most probable (or not?)
There is a language barrier here :)

Nemanja
08-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Team Serbia
Mayor Success probably gold
Success any medal
Acceptable semi final or quarter final
Failure quarter-final

I put failure and acceptable quarter-final ,due relativity of results .Could happen if circumstances would be against us ,its understandable if we lose against little a less quality team .But if we deserved that lose ,I will unsatisifed . Usa is weaker than in most cases was ,but there isnt pretty strong team which before tournament is pretender for gold .So I wrote gold for major success.

interxavierxxx
08-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Success: Lose to Serbia and Italy by single digits (or win if we catch them on a bad day), beat Angola, beat remaining opponents in the classification round (most probably Iran and Tunisia), and qualify for the Olympics as the best-placed Asian team.

Acceptable: Beating Angola and classification round opponents but falling short of Olympic qualification because China (who has the easiest group out of all the Asian teams) advances to the next round.

Failure: Not getting at least a single win.

Levenspiel
08-19-2019, 12:08 PM
I stand corrected, you're right as to the "success" part. Success would be to get another win in the 2nd round.
QF is a major success for this particular team and for this bracket, imho, which means eliminating a medal contender, i.e, Greece.

True, a smaller possibility of disappointment, but I feel my expectations are actually realistic (with the correction above). Talent-wise, this is probably the second worst Turkish NT I've ever seen, just behind the last year's Eurobasket, which was the same team with slightly less experience.