PDA

View Full Version : Group G: FRA-DOM-GER-JOR

Tevfik1907
08-07-2019, 03:00 PM
France (Fiba World Rank: 003)
Dominican Republic (Fiba World Rank: 018)
Germany (Fiba World Rank: 022)
Jordan (Fiba World Rank: 049)

1 September 2019

Dominican Republic - Jordan
16:30 GMT+08
City, Arena: Shenzhen, Shenzhen Bay Sports Center
Game day 1

France - Germany
20:30 GMT+08
Game day 1

3 September 2019

Germany - Dominican Republic
Game day 2

Jordan - France
Game day 2

5 September 2019

Germany - Jordan
Game day 3

Dominican Republic - France
Game day 3

Dtown
08-07-2019, 04:51 PM
France for first, Jordan for last seems rock solid. Germany looked more solid than the Dominican in qualifying but I have no idea if that carries over.

Toruko
08-07-2019, 04:54 PM
France for first, Jordan for last seems rock solid. Germany looked more solid than the Dominican in qualifying but I have no idea if that carries over.

Do you know anything about the participation of James Feldeine or KAT? Without them Germany should be favorite.

Steadysoul
08-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Do you know anything about the participation of James Feldeine or KAT? Without them Germany should be favorite.

does no one have any information on KAT? That's really weird.

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-07-2019, 08:43 PM
does no one have any information on KAT? That's really weird.

I heard somewhere that he declined to play, but I can't find the article.

usagre
08-07-2019, 09:42 PM
I heard somewhere that he declined to play, but I can't find the article.

I don’t know who was actually holding their breath that he would play. He hasn’t played for the DR since he was 17 years old. I always take the I’ll believe it when I see it attitude when it comes to players of his caliber when it comes to anything less than the Olympics.

christodoulou76
08-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Elie Okobo added to French roster as a replacement for Heurtel.

Mojado
08-12-2019, 05:44 AM
No KAT, no Horford just a bunch of mediocre players. Expect the Dominicans to compete for the third place in group. https://elnuevodiario.com.do/rd-presenta-preseleccion-baloncesto-para-el-mundial-fiba-2019/

Darrell Armstrong
08-20-2019, 04:10 PM
I'm really liking the chances of Germany right now. If they can surprise France on the first day they will change the balance of power of this group and group L (2nd round) as well. Schröder looks unstoppable and Germany's bigs can minimise the impact of Gobert. Considering that the second round is going to be a royal rumble (as this group will likely feature Lithuania and Australia), that single game can prevent France from advancing to QFs.

Quite likely the most important match for both, on the first day. Looking forward to it.

Tesla
08-20-2019, 09:39 PM
After the last Eurobasket I thought Šroder was a superstar. Every time I watched him playing for OKC he was lighting up the floor and then suddenly get benched I just didn't get it.

greenarcher
08-21-2019, 05:51 AM
No tune-up games for Germany?

thiago94
08-22-2019, 10:27 AM
After the last Eurobasket I thought Šroder was a superstar. Every time I watched him playing for OKC he was lighting up the floor and then suddenly get benched I just didn't get it.

To put it straight: He is a pretty horrible defender, despite having awesome physical tools to do well in that area. Moreover he is more or less useless upside the ball as he used to have the completely wrong attitude in that situations. For sure he put his game in that part on a completely new level next to Westbrick last season, but this means from non existent to lousy.

On FIBA level, especially in our roster, his strengths are a better fit from my point. Due to a lack of ballhandlers (Schröder, Lo) and our weakspot, the shooting guard positioned, he gets the green light to dominate the ball and playing nonstop in the attack mode. This leads to a beast, who is one of the best scorers at the tournament, maybe even the most gifted. In the NBA he is due to his player-profile a blessing and a curse, on FIBA court wearing the german national jersey, he is definitely a significant blessing.

@greenarcher: We gonna play against Australia, I guess this will be our first and last position fixing.

bsgermany
08-31-2019, 09:08 AM
No tune-up games for Germany?

Of course. We beat Sweden, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Tunesia and Australia, and lost one against Japan.

JGX
09-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Al Awadi thrown out of the game for a not-quite-a-punch to Liz, while Liz gets away with a regular unsportsmanlike for an elbow to the face.

JGX
09-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Al-Dwairi/Düverioğlu giving the Dominican bigs a clinic, singlehandedly Jordan in the game.

Lebasketball
09-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Hard luck Jordan.
Some stupid TO makes the difference at the end and they need to improve their 3 points %.
Good luck against Germany and France.

Levenspiel
09-01-2019, 12:54 PM
i guess everyone is watching the USA game, but Germany-France game is more interesting :D. one of the worst shooting starts I've seen. it's I think 1/20 so far for Germany.

thiago94
09-01-2019, 01:18 PM
How many points have we scored against Gobert? His defensive input is absurd and so is our shooting performance and our offense in general so far. I would really sympathize with the idea hitting Benzing in his non-existent nuts, throwing Lo "over" the screen against Fournier and explain Barthel how to defend the close-out in a volume his ears would start bleeding.

Hopefully no-one else is watching this game. Its a completely disaster. I have always thought we are underrated, now I would claim we are highly overrated.

Barthel and Benzing with the best plus/minutes-stats though. Weird. Nonetheless they both drive me nuts and always will, especially Benzing.

CoachZ
09-01-2019, 01:28 PM
How many points have we scored against Gobert? His defensive input is absurd and so is our shooting performance and our offense in general so far. I would really sympathize with the idea hitting Benzing in his non-existent nuts, throwing Lo "over" the screen against Fournier and explain Barthel how to defend the close-out in a volume his ears would start bleeding.

Hopefully no-one else is watching this game. Its a completely disaster. I have always thought we are underrated, now I would claim we are highly overrated.

Barthel and Benzing with the best plus/minutes-stats though. Weird. Nonetheless they both drive me nuts and always will, especially Benzing.

I am watching it. Probably the worst gameplan against France that could be created. You took 70% of shots in or around the paint, versus a team that has the best rim protector in the world :D You have to be a special kind of idiot to do that. Scroeder is a cancer in this game, others not much better to be honest though. You need more motion to your offense, spread the French. I would much rather rely on beating DeColo, Fournier and buddies outside, rather then getting to the paint. Also, much easier to defend French transition that way.

Lyonswim
09-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Good momentum for Germany.
Did France relax to early?

Dtown
09-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Good game, Germany with a proper fight back. Rest of the group will be a lot easier for France.

thiago94
09-01-2019, 03:00 PM
I am watching it. Probably the worst gameplan against France that could be created. You took 70% of shots in or around the paint, versus a team that has the best rim protector in the world :D You have to be a special kind of idiot to do that. Scroeder is a cancer in this game, others not much better to be honest though. You need more motion to your offense, spread the French. I would much rather rely on beating DeColo, Fournier and buddies outside, rather then getting to the paint. Also, much easier to defend French transition that way.

They might have listen to your words. Rödl have done some necessary adjustments at halftime and used different lineups: As a result we started to spread the floor, especially but not only in persona of Voigtmann who played tremendously well, but also my close friend and favorite player Robin Benzing gave us some needed spacing. All in all I am happy with the result and the effort of most of the players, but gameplan-wise, in terms of decision making and having a healthy portion of confidence, we have to a lot of room for improvement. Also, Gobert killed our two-man-game, which will be a significant part of our game against the other teams.

In three of four sequences we were completely outplayed by the starting five of france. On the other hand we outplayed their second unit, which was lead by a too much vine-sipping (?) De Colo? Holy feck, I have never seen him playing that shitty. Be honest anyone of you guys have him into his pocket. Evan Fournier on the other side played outstandingly, actually I have never seen him that strong on FIBA level so far, even if he benefited immensely from some our stubborn pick-and-roll defense. Man, hopefully the gameplan didn´t really include going under the screen against Fournier, otherwise we are screwed.

vivo
09-01-2019, 03:08 PM
How the fuck did De Colo have that few points?

thiago94
09-01-2019, 03:43 PM
How the fuck did De Colo have that few points?

Dude, I have watched the game, but don´t ask me. He seemed so sluggish. Maybe he was just pissed off coming form the bench, maybe he was ill or maybe one of you guys really have him into his "betting-pockets". His performance was really stunning in some twisted way, I am still a mix of shocked and entertained. Feck, he was completely disillusioned. Main source: He missed a free throw.

CoachZ
09-01-2019, 04:25 PM
He is also past his prime. He has declined every year since 2015/16 season.

Last 2 years especially he seems like he has lost his step, doesn't get to his spots as often, can't really beat his guy as often. He is 32 after all, and he ain't gonna get better. This is why it waas strange for Obradovic to pursue him.

Katastroika
09-01-2019, 04:58 PM
The old De Colo still lives on floppingwise. He is still very protected in international basketball, not to tell about a clear unsportsmanlike foul which hasn't been called on him. Bigger surprise than De Colo to me is Batum. The keys of this team are deep in Fournier's hands and I don't know if this is good for France.

Germany played horrible first 25 minutes and tremendously well last 15. Horrible decision making by Schroder and tragic hero Voigtmann, who played a perfect game, at -4 1:30 before the end takes at a counterattack 3 on 4 unnecessary 3 point attempt from 9 and 1/2 metres. This German team is good but it lacked everything in the first half. No off ball rotation, everything starts and ends with a central pick where Schroder attacks or gives some outlet passes. This team has so much more potential than living and dying with Schroder and depending on which foot he has woken up.

Buzissa
09-02-2019, 02:19 AM
4- point difference is a bit misleading here, as France pretty much dominated the whole game.
They looked sharp defensively, with Gobert leading on that side of the ball.

Not a lot of offensive firepower though. They could definitely use some of Heurtel's creativity.

fasoulaki
09-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Germans having a hard time with Dom. Rep. Very nasty team to play with. Fast and stubborn!

Picek
09-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Germany close to Germexit.
a shocker.

Levenspiel
09-03-2019, 10:29 AM
alright, what did the refs see in that review that we could not? if they watched the same thing, the ball did not touch the German player.

first surprise of the tournament. well done, Dominicans.

fasoulaki
09-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Schroeder is not Nowitzki. Thats for sure.

ZaliaBalta
09-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Unexpected result, at least for me.

Even though i think that refs made a mistake after that long review, we could not say, that this call decided the game. Expected much more from germans.

Picek
09-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Schroeder is not Nowitzki. Thats for sure.
combined 12/37 FG in two games.
and only 76% from FT line.
4 turnovers per game.

but the rest of the team underperformed as well.
Kleber the first one and then the rest as well.

christodoulou76
09-03-2019, 10:40 AM
congrats to DOM!!

Straight forward
09-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Wow Germany choked. Some people were saying hay you underrate Germany it's a real deal...

Darrell Armstrong
09-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Germany should be looking for a new coach. I think Orenga would do a better job, and that's saying something!

cilom
09-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Schroeder doing his best young Tony Parker impersonation.
Such a cancer to his team. Unfortunately as often with some of these Nba guys if you don't let them do whatever they want on the basketball court they won't come...
Too bad for German basketball but congrats to the Domican Republic they may not have big names on their roster but they play with heart.

Katastroika
09-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Wow Germany choked. Some people were saying hay you underrate Germany it's a real deal...

i am that one :)

I am very surprised by their bad game this tournament. They look awful. Rodl was very promising but fucked it up in an epic way.

I thought that they can be really good at this tournament. Disappointing display.

Congrats to the Carribeans!

Modis
09-03-2019, 10:56 AM

How the hell do you come from a really good attempt vs France to choking to this ? There's no excuse this German team just doesn't care about this championship just go home already, well done DR.

MrRager
09-03-2019, 11:04 AM
How the hell do you come from a really good attempt vs France to choking to this ? There's no excuse this German team just doesn't care about this championship just go home already, well done DR.

Well, it really should be noted that France didn't look spectacular at all. But yeah, Germany still underperformed heavily today.

Italian Pride
09-03-2019, 11:07 AM
now Germany should play classfication game 17th-32th,right?what is the format?the same of 1-16th classification game?

thiago94
09-03-2019, 11:11 AM
At least we might be the biggest surprise of this WC.:p It´s a completely disaster. This will effect basketball germany in the long-term in so many ways, most of the people can´t even imagine right now. Its a catastrophe. Nonetheless, I don´t want to blame any player or coach in specific, it was a collective failure and nobody besides Lo was able to perform today. Before I forgot: Well deserved win of the Dominican Republic! They played beautiful team basketball orchestrated by Solano and left their heart on the court.

I like the idea of getting wasted right now. For sure I am done with basketball for at least today.

thiago94
09-03-2019, 11:13 AM
alright, what did the refs see in that review that we could not? if they watched the same thing, the ball did not touch the German player.

first surprise of the tournament. well done, Dominicans.

From my point of view Zipser touched the ball with his knee. The referees did a good job all in all.

soulis79
09-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Che did it again! Canada 2015, Germany 2019! Well played for Dominicans!

fasoulaki
09-03-2019, 11:16 AM
It´s a completely disaster. This will effect basketball germany in the long-term in so many ways, most of the people can´t even imagine right now. Its a catastrophe
Germany became european champions in 1993 and won EC silver in 2005 and nobody noticed at home. Why should people care about the loss in the WC?

Dtown
09-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Wow didn't expect to wake up and see Germany out, biggest surprise by far so far.

thiago94
09-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Germany became european champions in 1993 and won EC silver in 2005 and nobody noticed at home. Why should people care about the loss in the WC?

Exactly! And 1936 nobody noticed the three loses at the Olympic Games.

I felt something like a hype in Germany. We have podcasts about basketball on the online pages of the biggest newspapers, we are represented in some classic TV shows with a very high number of viewers, in the newspapers and even in the news. Magentasport (telekom) put an extraordinary effort in this tournament and stream every game of this tournament plus analysis and long preliminary reports. We have the most NBA players ever and most experts called this team the most talented squad we have ever had. We are young, we are on the rising side and in 2021 we gonna host the Eurobasket. And we have the shiny global brand Bayern Munich, which will dominate the Euroleague in some years. Believe me, this is a real catastrophe with consequences.

The qualification for the Olympic Games was the big goal and some took that for granted. Even the loss against France was rated as a little disaster. The expectations were high, it seems way too high.

Jon_Koncak
09-03-2019, 11:50 AM
I'm surprised because this Dominican roster looked so poor not because i rate Germany as much as many others did.I mean Germany has an eternal problem of crappy rotation at 1-3 positions.Schroeder and Lo are ok but the rest wingers?Akinpaar,Gifey,Benzing,Zipser?Eurochalleng e level players at best.Then their frontcourt which is solid but again consisted of role players,and Kleber was a ghost in this tournament.

fasoulaki
09-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Exactly! And 1936 nobody noticed the three loses at the Olympic Games.

I felt something like a hype in Germany. We have podcasts about basketball on the online pages of the biggest newspapers, we are represented in some classic TV shows with a very high number of viewers, in the newspapers and even in the news. Magentasport (telekom) put an extraordinary effort in this tournament and stream every game of this tournament plus analysis and long preliminary reports. We have the most NBA players ever and most experts called this team the most talented squad we have ever had. We are young, we are on the rising side and in 2021 we gonna host the Eurobasket. And we have the shiny global brand Bayern Munich, which will dominate the Euroleague in some years. Believe me, this is a real catastrophe with consequences.

C'mon my friend, I can feel your pain and I have full sympathy if you compare WC exclusion to the 2nd World War but I think you are exaggerating.

Levenspiel
09-03-2019, 12:26 PM
From my point of view Zipser touched the ball with his knee. The referees did a good job all in all.
this of course was not instrumental to the result. They had two angles; front and top. the front angle indicated a touch, but it lacked depth, so you can't be sure. the top view showed there was no contact. I was just surprised at their conclusion.

thiago94
09-04-2019, 09:32 AM
C'mon my friend, I can feel your pain and I have full sympathy if you compare WC exclusion to the 2nd World War but I think you are exaggerating.

You´re right, I was exaggerating. I have been looking forward to this tournament for not even weeks or days, no for months. It should become my basketball-highlight of my year since Brose Bamberg decided to screw up. The disappointment is huge, not just in my case, whole basketball germany is still shocked. Yet, I stick to my opinion, but it´s just my opinion, yours might be more accurate. Its very difficult to determine.

Toruko
09-04-2019, 09:38 AM
You´re right, I was exaggerating. I have been looking forward to this tournament for not even weeks or days, no for months. It should become my basketball-highlight of my year since Brose Bamberg decided to screw up. The disappointment is huge, not just in my case, whole basketball germany is still shocked. Yet, I stick to my opinion, but it´s just my opinion, yours might be more accurate. Its very difficult to determine.

Schröder with that role in your nt you will always fail. The guy has 0 leading quality. Why are you passing to Barthel in the last second for a 3 pointer instead of using the open lane to the rim? And yeah you also have a big forward problem. You should also stop treating nba bench player guys like theis and Kleber as superstars.

Katastroika
09-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Toruko, you are exaggerating a little. For Theis I agree that he is a little overrated but Kleber is a very good and valuable piece and would have his spot also in Team Serbia or Team Turkey.

In fact we all do this. Also Furkan is a star on your team and a NBA bench player, don't bring the age argument now. The same goes for Bogdanovic and we could count on and on and on. Maxi is a defensive specialist and if u use him right he is a VERY good piece in every team.

Toruko
09-04-2019, 10:05 AM
Toruko, you are exaggerating a little. For Theis I agree that he is a little overrated but Kleber is a very good and valuable piece and would have his spot also in Team Serbia or Team Turkey.

In fact we all do this. Also Furkan is a star on your team and a NBA bench player, don't bring the age argument now. The same goes for Bogdanovic and we could count on and on and on. Maxi is a defensive specialist and if u use him right he is a VERY good piece in every team.

I was criticizing german press behavior. I can follow both presses the turkish and the german. Never saw the turkish press hyping Korkmaz that much. OK Murat Kosova does it sometimes calling Osman white Lebron etc and this also always get on my nerves but the germans are more we have the deepest roster of all time, we can beat everyone, wow did you see that alley hoop pass of Schröder to Theiss? I can understand their motivation and its good for the growing german basketball but you also have to see your weaknesses.

And as a turk I would take any usable big right now. Kleber would be a dream. :D

vivo
09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
I believe that Germany being out is a setback but not a catastrophe. As far as I can see German league is very well administrated, teams take good steps to raise players and manage their teams well. I can see German basketball continue to develop slowly but surely - elimination is unfortunate as it would be a great boost if they created some noise in 2nd round and maybe afterwards.