City, Arena: Wuhan, Wuhan Sports Centre
Game day 3

Russia - Argentina
20:30 GMT+08
City, Arena: Wuhan, Wuhan Sports Centre
Game day 3

christodoulou76
08-07-2019, 02:43 PM
I think this might be the most fun group to follow. It has the most dangerous 3rd and 4th teams of any group other than Group F and H (and maybe Group E as well). Argentina-Russia game will be a must watch affair, because even though these teams will fancy their chances against all Group A teams in the 2nd round, they will want to go into the second round without any losses anyway to avoid undue anxiety.

Prediction:
Argentina
Russia
Nigeria
Korea

Dtown
08-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Nigeria is the wild card here, they have the potential to not only turn this group upside down but the 2nd round as well. Safe bet is Argentina and Russia to advance, but I think a three way tie at 2-1 is my favored outcome.

Valexander
08-07-2019, 06:23 PM
I am still confused wether Mozgov is in or out. I think that’s an x-factor for Russia

Mindozas
08-07-2019, 07:17 PM
I am still confused wether Mozgov is in or out. I think that’s an x-factor for Russia

He is out, hopes to recover for the start of the season, and still it's a bit of a question mark

Tevfik1907
08-09-2019, 01:18 PM
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/917190/argentina-names-12-man-squad-for-world-cup/

The Argentinian Basketball Federation, CABB, named the 12 players that will represent the country through the national team in the 2019 FIBA World Cup. A mix of experience and talent is there with the goal of securing a spot for the 2020 Olympic Games.

Argentina’s final squad for the 2019 World Cup:

Nicolas Brussino
Agustin Caffaro
Facundo Campazzo
Gabriel Deck
Marcos Delia
Maximo Fjellerup
Tayavek Gallizzi
Patricio Garino
Nicolas Laprovittola
Lucio Redivo
Luis Scola
Luca Vildoza
The Argentinians are placed in Group B alongside South Korea, Nigeria and Russia. First or second place will lead them to the second group stage, third of fourth to classification games.

The top two American teams in the final standings will punch their ticket to Olympic Games, set to take place next summer at Japan. Before the Olympics, four more spots will be contested via qualifying tournaments.

waterade
08-10-2019, 07:21 AM
Don't underestimate Nigeria. I think they can surprise some people.

Shawshank
08-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Nigeria is most dangerous from those underdog's, but it have to do also with this group teams.They got those weaker elite teams that's helps alot with upsetting chances.

I feel Argentina will be just too high IQ team to be beaten simply on athletics,if I were Nigeria I would go all in on first game againts Russia.They have history starting tournaments slowly

Darrell Armstrong
08-10-2019, 01:11 PM
It's a shame to find the once powerful Argentina in this sorry state. I mean, this is a former Olympic Champion now reduced to compete on the back of a 39-years-old semiretired PF as their only inside scoring threat. The other three big men are going to play in minor leagues (Argentina or Mexico) next year, and Scola has played in China.

On the other hand they boast a nice PG pair in Campazzo and Laprovittola. Actually PG may be their strongest position as Luca Vildoza is no slouch either. But everything else is subpar. A bunch of unproven wings, Scola, and a big void at center. For an NT that at some point could boast a starting five full of solid NBA players this may be a rough year.

Anyway, looking forward to the matchup between Ike Diogu and Luis Scola. A classic.

usagre
08-10-2019, 02:43 PM
It's a shame to find the once powerful Argentina in this sorry state. I mean, this is a former Olympic Champion now reduced to compete on the back of a 39-years-old semiretired PF as their only inside scoring threat..

Argentina is not in a sorry state. They are who they always were before this excellent 15 year run. That group has aged and has cycled out. Now Argentina is what they were in the 1980’s and 1990’s, a solid team but not a medal contender.

Darrell Armstrong
08-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Argentina is not in a sorry state. They are who they always were before this excellent 15 year run. That group has aged and has cycled out. Now Argentina is what they were in the 1980’s and 1990’s, a solid team but not a medal contender.

It's a matter of semantics. I grew up idolizing many of Argentina best players and it just makes me sad to see this team so devoid of talent. I guess that you could be grateful they made it to the World Cup unlike other former great teams (like Croatia) but still...

usagre
08-10-2019, 02:59 PM
It's a matter of semantics. I grew up idolizing many of Argentina best players and it just makes me sad to see this team so devoid of talent. I guess that you could be grateful they made it to the World Cup unlike other former great teams (like Croatia) but still...

Yeah I understand. If someone isn’t old enough to go pre 2002 Argentina then to them they only know Argentina as a perennial powerhouse. I am just saying that they weren’t always that like. The previous 20 years to that they were always a respected solid team but not on medal contending caliber. So to me it doesn’t seem that strange to see them revert to that level once again.

Darrell Armstrong
08-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Don't underestimate Nigeria. I think they can surprise some people.

Do you guys have a real PG now? You often play a lot of talented individuals but somehow struggle to play under control; so in the same tournament you're able to beat very good teams and still lose winnable games and fail to advance.

soulis79
08-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Nigeria has defined a core of 8-9 players. Uzoh, Iroegbu, Okogie, Nwora, Al-Farouq, Metu, Udoh, Okoye and Alade. Diogu is a mystery. If he is healthy he is in the mix. It's between Eric and Akindele the 11th place. The last one will be probably Vincent.

As for Russia they have cohesion but without Sved they won't go very far. With him in ,i see them reaching at least QF.

christodoulou76
08-11-2019, 12:51 PM
without Sved they won't go very far. With him in ,i see them reaching at least QF.

Is Shved's participation in doubt?

soulis79
08-11-2019, 12:56 PM
They expect him to join tomorrow.

Darrell Armstrong
08-11-2019, 01:38 PM
They expect him to join tomorrow.

Is he going to play the point? Because I see the Russian team is loaded with shooters (Kulagin, Fridzon, Karasev, Kurbanov) but I don't know who will have the ballhandling duties. Also they seem to be lacking size. Is Vorontsevich their starting center? It's going to be a fun team to watch then, with everyone able to pull up from outside.

Mindozas
08-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Is he going to play the point? Because I see the Russian team is loaded with shooters (Kulagin, Fridzon, Karasev, Kurbanov) but I don't know who will have the ballhandling duties. Also they seem to be lacking size. Is Vorontsevich their starting center? It's going to be a fun team to watch then, with everyone able to pull up from outside.

Shved always takes control and I guess he will do this there too, simply no other options. D.Kulagin is questionable for WC. His bro probably will take some minutes as back-up PG. Starting C should be Bolomboy, Vorontsevich probably will be starting PF, unless Antonov will resurrect his shape, but now he is out of it, the same like Karasev, whom so far looks very bad, overweight, veteran SG Fridzon is miles ahead nowadays

Darrell Armstrong
08-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Shved always takes control and I guess he will do this there too, simply no other options. D.Kulagin is questionable for WC. His bro probably will take some minutes as back-up PG. Starting C should be Bolomboy, Vorontsevich probably will be starting PF, unless Antonov will resurrect his shape, but now he is out of it, the same like Karasev, whom so far looks very bad, overweight, veteran SG Fridzon is miles ahead nowadays

Joel Bolomboy, the former Utah Jazz player? I thought he was ukrainian. Anyway he's a good rebounder but I don't remember him being a rim protector or anything. I guess no team comes fully loaded this year.

Mindozas
08-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Joel Bolomboy, the former Utah Jazz player? I thought he was ukrainian. Anyway he's a good rebounder but I don't remember him being a rim protector or anything. I guess no team comes fully loaded this year.

Yes, Joel Bolomboy, he spent last season in CSKA Moscow. He was born in Ukraine, but since he moved to USA quite early in his life, don't think he had Ukrainian citizenship, while his mother is Russian, father from Congo

Straight forward
08-11-2019, 04:12 PM
the same like Karasev, whom so far looks very bad, overweight

Huge disappointment of Russian BB. He supposed to be next big think and he does have talent, but lacking working ethics and right attitude I guess.

Darrell Armstrong
08-13-2019, 08:37 AM
So, with Shved and D. Kulagin out, how's Russia roster shaping up? I guess the wings will be Fridzon-Kurbanov-Vorontsevich, with Karasev and Antonov coming from the bench. Bolomboy as the starting C. Who will be the PGs and the reserve bigs? Any young player to pay attention to? I was projecting Russia to be one of the most entertaining teams in the tournament, and a potential matchup for Spain in QFs; but after all the absences I'm no longer sure.

Mindozas
08-13-2019, 08:50 AM
So, with Shved and D. Kulagin out, how's Russia roster shaping up? I guess the wings will be Fridzon-Kurbanov-Vorontsevich, with Karasev and Antonov coming from the bench. Bolomboy as the starting C. Who will be the PGs and the reserve bigs? Any young player to pay attention to? I was projecting Russia to be one of the most entertaining teams in the tournament, and a potential matchup for Spain in QFs; but after all the absences I'm no longer sure.

Main PG should be Mikhail Kulagin, younger bro of Dmitryj. Others PG are pretty much no name youngsters, I watched them vs Senegal a bit, a bit in other friendlies, so nothing to watch out for, at least not now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Fridzon playing PG role too. Regarding bigs, Zubkov might be important player from the bench. Ivlev should get minutes too

Darrell Armstrong
08-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Main PG should be Mikhail Kulagin, younger bro of Dmitryj. Others PG are pretty much no name youngsters, I watched them vs Senegal a bit, a bit in other friendlies, so nothing to watch out for, at least not now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Fridzon playing PG role too. Regarding bigs, Zubkov might be important player from the bench. Ivlev should get minutes too

Thanks! I see that neither of them are traditional centers. This may not be a problem until QFs, but it's surprising for a team that could sub Mozgov with Kaun and place a dominating big under the basket at all times.

Mindozas
08-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Thanks! I see that neither of them are traditional centers. This may not be a problem until QFs, but it's surprising for a team that could sub Mozgov with Kaun and place a dominating big under the basket at all times.

Zubkov isn't a C, he is PF/SF type of player, Ivlev should be used as C, but also not that traditional C as you say. Maybe Zabelin will be picked, hard to say, he has strong body, but little skills

JGX
08-16-2019, 05:28 AM
Nigeria with 15 players remaining in their camp as they head to Lagos:

LIST OF INVITED PLAYERS

Point Guards: Uzoh Benjamin Chukwukelo (CB Caballeros de Culican), Ireogbu Ike (Science City Jena, Germany).

Shooting Guards: Okogie Joshua Aloiye (Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA), Nwamu Ike (Sioux Falls Skyforce, NBA), Nwora Jordan Ifeanyi (University of Louisville, USA), Vincent Nnamdi Gabriel (Stockton Kings, NBA),

Small Forwards: Aminu Al Farouq (Portland Trail Blazers, NBA), Stanley Okoye (Tecnyconta Zaragoza, Spain).

Power Forward: Diogu Ikechukwu Somto (Bayaman Vaqueros, Puerto Rico), Zanna Talib (Montakit Fuenlabrada, Spain), Ekpe Udoh (Utah Jazz, NBA), Aminu Abdul Alade (Capitanies de Arecibo, Puerto Rico), Chimezie Metu (San Antonio Spurs, NBA).

Centre: Michael Eric (Darussafaka, Turkey), Akindele Jeleel Ayodeji (Hapoel SP Tel-Aviv, Israel).

https://allafrica.com/stories/201908140594.html

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Ten days ago, I would say that Russia and Argentina would go through comfortably. But now, after seeing that Nigeria has a full roster on display and Shved not playing, this group looks the most interesting.

Darrell Armstrong
08-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Whatever happened to Festus Ezeli? Doesn't even have a team?

JGX
08-18-2019, 01:02 AM
Whatever happened to Festus Ezeli? Doesn't even have a team?

Don't think he ever got over his knee injuries.

It wouldn't be a Nigerian basketball campaign without this:

The senior National Basketball men’s team, D’Tigers’ earlier scheduled trip to China in continuation of their preparation for the FIBA World Cup may have suffered a setback over paucity of funds.

The D’Tigers general manager appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene, so as to save the country from global embarrassment.

“I wish to appreciate the federation, the President, Engr Musa Kida and the board, they have been doing so much for this team and basketball and I think it’s time for government to step in and assist us.”

Adamu revealed that the current players in camp are talented, motivated and ready to represent Nigeria well.

“I will like to use the forum to call on the President, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari to turn his eyes a little bit to the D’Tigers because they are also a national team.

“We are expecting support from him to release funds for our team to be able to participate in this World Cup.”

Adamu noted that Nigeria was the first country in the world to qualify for the World cup, but may end up not participating in the competition.

“We have come a long way. We have a very good, ambitious and motivated team. We really hope that the President will try to help his children, his people, to be able to participate in this World Cup, ” Adamu said.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/08/17/fiba-world-cup-dtigers-appeal-to-buhari-for-funds/

Also tweets from the players:
https://twitter.com/Chimezie_Metu/status/1162479099601752065
https://twitter.com/StanOkoye_/status/1162483705245552640
https://twitter.com/EkpeUdoh/status/1162492037465300997

soulis79
08-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Nigeria will travel today to China with 14 players(Nwora will join them later). After a four nations tournament coach Nwora will finalise the roster. I assume that Akindele, Zanna and Nwamu will be cut from the final roster. Nevertheless Nigeria will aim the first game against Russia which looks depleted at this moment.

Darrell Armstrong
08-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Nigeria will travel today to China with 14 players(Nwora will join them later). After a four nations tournament coach Nwora will finalise the roster. I assume that Akindele, Zanna and Nwamu will be cut from the final roster. Nevertheless Nigeria will aim the first game against Russia which looks depleted at this moment.

I assume they have been paid, then. Looking forward to them to qualify for the QFs. If they harness their potential I see them capable of beating Argentina and Russia.

JGX
08-20-2019, 06:56 PM
I assume they have been paid, then. Looking forward to them to qualify for the QFs. If they harness their potential I see them capable of beating Argentina and Russia.

According to this article they got a loan, still waiting on the government funds:
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/08/20/fiba-world-cup-dtigers-borrows-money-departs-for-china/

Darrell Armstrong
08-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Argentina and Russia faced off today. And, really, I don't know what Russia is doing. They were blown away by more than 20 points. 5 of 25 three-pointers, 22 TO. No defence. This is a mess. Either they're fooling us displaying the best acting skills I've ever seen on a basketball court, or they're really one of the most hopeless Russian squads ever to play on an international stage. If they can't even keep up with Argentina they will likely lose against Nigeria too. And that's the end of the road for them.

Pity, because I really like several players in this roster and I was looking forward to a potential QFs matchup against Spain.

Toruko
08-31-2019, 09:06 AM
My Nigeria is really badly organized as I expected. Josh Okogi cant give the team a shape.

Toruko
08-31-2019, 09:09 AM
Udoh what are you doing? Missed an open layup.

JGX
08-31-2019, 09:30 AM
I feel like this game is there for Nigeria to take, but they screw something up every time they get within a basket...Nwora was pretty bad in the first half, maybe Okoye should play more.

Toruko
08-31-2019, 09:32 AM
I feel like this game is there for Nigeria to take, but they screw something up every time they get within a basket...Nwora was pretty bad in the first half, maybe Okoye should play more.

Nigeria gives stupid offensive rebounds, no wing defense and stupid iso plays. Both teams lack of play making abilities but russia looks more organized.

unnamed
08-31-2019, 10:00 AM

They are a bit better roster-wise but the difference is slight, so it might go at both sides.

Rodrigue Beaubois
08-31-2019, 10:00 AM
Neither team looks very good. But stakes in this game are really high, the winner probably gets a chance to play in the quarterfinal, while the loser probably goes home after first round. A thin line between big success and failure.

JGX
08-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Russia gotta stop fouling guys taking tough shots.

Obina
08-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Nigeria is playing really bad teammate basketball with minor roles of Aminu and Udoh but it will probably be enought for beat Russia.

greenarcher
08-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Aminu and Diogu not playing like an NBA player. Lead down to 3.

Toruko
08-31-2019, 10:16 AM
This idiots cant finish a 3 to 1 transition. Will give the game away.

MrRager
08-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Nigeria - much talent, low basketball IQ.

Shawshank
08-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Nigeria without Diogu played way better defence.It was mistake to bring him back.

Russians simply outsmarted nigerians in last minutes

Levenspiel
08-31-2019, 10:38 AM
well, another disastrous ending of a close game by FIBA rules... Now it has to be intentional, after lengthy review for a position that is even debatable it was a foul in the first place. Stupid rule.

Nigeria showed "how to lose a game in 2 minutes", Russians only had to play a standard game. Vorontsevich was the wise elder, though.

unnamed
08-31-2019, 10:45 AM
[deleted] - Levenspiel

soulis79
08-31-2019, 10:47 AM
Nigeria lost a game by their own mistakes. Diogu is a hole in the team, he is overweight. Refs "helped" Russia in the final minutes. Very bad call the unsportsmanlike foul on Okogie.

JGX
08-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Diogu's time has passed. A win against Korea might be enough to put Nigeria in the Olympics...

usagre
08-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Russia is gonna win this group. They seem to be an overachieving smart team and the embodiment of their coach.
I always loved that guy as a player.

Dtown
08-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Damn looks like Nigeria blew a great opportunity. Still capable of getting to the second round, but no room for error now.

CoachZ
08-31-2019, 02:13 PM
So happy to see my favorite Argenitinian underdog playing in the World Cup. Fjellerup is playing :D

Modis
08-31-2019, 08:40 PM
Damn looks like Nigeria blew a great opportunity. Still capable of getting to the second round, but no room for error now.

If they had a better coach and a team that actually cares they would go far because so many times Nigeria was basically playing street ball with no rotation players just standing in one spot looking at one another, a lot of desperate deep shots with no plan whatsoever.

Darrell Armstrong
08-31-2019, 10:49 PM
If they had a better coach and a team that actually cares they would go far because so many times Nigeria was basically playing street ball with no rotation players just standing in one spot looking at one another, a lot of desperate deep shots with no plan whatsoever.

This. Last 5 minutes was a succession of stupid mistakes, pigheaded drives to the basket, and missed opportunities. Refs didn't help them much, either. But, seriously, you could identify their guys who play or played in the NBA because they would bring the ball up themselves and call their own number without even thinking they were playing 5 vs. 5.

Mindozas
09-01-2019, 04:53 AM
What they lack is a PG, at least average one, who could lead the team. That would have been enough against this dull Russia

JGX
09-02-2019, 04:46 PM
Scola getting it done for Argentina once again. They only played eight guys, I think the more spread-out schedule this time helps them. Nigeria good effort but lacking a real PG and with Diogu over the hill their bigs are offensively limited. They'd probably make the second round if they had Tunisia or Ivory Coast's draws. Argentina just a little better team with a lot more experience.

Buzissa
09-03-2019, 12:48 AM
The Russia game was the one to win for Nigeria, not this one. Argentina has better players and is the better team.

In any case, they have some nice young players and if they can stick together for future tournaments, Nigeria could be a really interesting team. That's the challenge for them.
Otherwise, unless you are at USA-level talent-wise, no way you can just bring together a few good players and make things happen. Not at this level.

Joško Poljak Fan
09-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Argentina was pretty lucky today. Dribling the ball and than satisfying for a 3 pointer over hands in the last minutes is ussualy the recepee to lose the game. Russia sealed it with some unlucky turnovers and some fouls they could avoid. Generaly I think Russia lacks some offensive fire power. Not a big fan of Shved, but I am not sure if his shortcomings are worse than the current lack of creation.

juli_rc
09-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Argentina played really bad today. Poor ball movement, it leaves to contested shots. Russia defense was strong, but not enough.