FIBA World Cup Standings Tiebreakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA World Cup Standings Tiebreakers

For the first and second Group Stage rounds, does anyone know what tiebreakers will be used to determine standings?

Originally posted by CAREY33 View Post
    For the first and second Group Stage rounds, does anyone know what tiebreakers will be used to determine standings?
    The same like always

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      The same like always

I am unfamiliar what they usually are, would you be able to inform me? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CAREY33 View Post
        I am unfamiliar what they usually are, would you be able to inform me? Thanks
        How do we determine the ranking between two teams if teams are tied (in the same group or between groups)?:
        Win / Loss ratio
        Goal difference of games between teams concerned
        Higher number of goals in the games between them
        Higher goal difference in all games of the group
        Higher number of goals in all games in the group
        Draw

Comment

How do we determine the ranking between two teams if teams are tied (in the same group or between groups)?:
          Win / Loss ratio
          Draw
          Thank you!

Comment

In relation to this, I don't understand why FIBA don't use the FIFA (and what is used in most other sports) version of points/goal difference for ALL games as the first tiebreaker. The problem I have with this it is too open to manipulation and you see a relatively few real contests in the preliminary rounds since teams often play half speed in the games that they pre-determine won't greatly affect outcomes. Example of a imaginary Olympic group (I know there are only four teams per group in this WC but the picture is obvious):
            USA
            Serbia
            Greece
            Australia
            Canada
            PR China

Everyone involved in the middle four teams knows that they will probably occupy spots 2-5. So they play against China doing just enough to win comfortably (hopefully) and while wanting to win against the USA, even with the obvious gulf in class, factoring in most opponents use a 7-8 man rotation and tournament management considerations, teams will simply put the cue in the rack once they start to get blown out, none of this of which is good for the spectator, sponsor or tv networks. A simple points for/against for all matches puts this into greater focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Roofman View Post
              In relation to this, I don't understand why FIBA don't use the FIFA (and what is used in most other sports) version of points/goal difference for ALL games as the first tiebreaker. The problem I have with this it is too open to manipulation and you see a relatively few real contests in the preliminary rounds since teams often play half speed in the games that they pre-determine won't greatly affect outcomes. Example of a imaginary Olympic group (I know there are only four teams per group in this WC but the picture is obvious):
              USA
              Serbia
              Greece
              Australia
              Canada
              PR China

Everyone involved in the middle four teams knows that they will probably occupy spots 2-5. So they play against China doing just enough to win comfortably (hopefully) and while wanting to win against the USA, even with the obvious gulf in class, factoring in most opponents use a 7-8 man rotation and tournament management considerations, teams will simply put the cue in the rack once they start to get blown out, none of this of which is good for the spectator, sponsor or tv networks. A simple points for/against for all matches puts this into greater focus.
              In basketball everything is set the way it should be IMO. Football is lowscoring game, there's a draw too, so goals difference must be up there at the top (even tho UEFA still counts H2H as first tie-breaker). IMO in basketball exactly H2H must decide which team must be ranked higher, not a game against China (like in you example) or other bottom side in a points hunting race. Imagine that you play them first, they are motivated, you win not so easy by some +15pts, then in last round your direct rival, you already have beaten, has to face China which is out of chances, Yi is resting and they are giving away minutes to bench players... Your direct rival, fully motivated, blows them out by needed margin and goes through... a bit unfair, isn't it?

Comment

@Mindozas, I like the analogy you mentioned about resting players, opponents being like a punchdrunk boxer etc....don't doubt there is some truth there. If I were to make myself clearer, in a two-way tie, I like the idea of head-to-head. When there are three or more opponents involved, I still feel that all results should be factored in, given FIBA are also in the entertainment business, teams, even if undermanned, should play as hard and true as possible and it is in FIBA's interest to see as many real contests as possible. I also believe there is LESS final round manipulation available with all results factored in. So, in Dongguan, Australia v Lithuania is the final group game for both teams, and there is a very real chance that the points spread may determine first round placing in a three way Canada/Aus/Lith tie. Playing last is obviously a huge advantage, and IMO is a bigger issue with FIBA competitions than your (valid) points above.

Comment

Win / Loss ratio
                  Draw
                  That's for football though. In FIBA play the paramount tie breakers are these:

1. Win/Loss record in the games involving only those teams that are tied in the standings.
                  2. Point differential in the games involving only those teams that are tied in the standings.

If for example Australia, Canada and Lithuania all finish at 2-1 after the preliminary round robin with Senegal at 0-3, the tie would be broken by points differential in the three games involving Australia, Canada and Lithuania. My understanding is that in any of the games requiring OT to determine the winner, only the tie score after regulation would be used for point differential purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                    That's for football though. In FIBA play the paramount tie breakers are these:

1. Win/Loss record in the games involving only those teams that are tied in the standings.
                    2. Point differential in the games involving only those teams that are tied in the standings.

If for example Australia, Canada and Lithuania all finish at 2-1 after the preliminary round robin with Senegal at 0-3, the tie would be broken by points differential in the three games involving Australia, Canada and Lithuania. My understanding is that in any of the games requiring OT to determine the winner, only the tie score after regulation would be used for point differential purposes.

You wrote exactly the same thing I've posted and it's actually from FIBA official rules for this World Cup.... so

Comment

Follow up question- Once we get to the second round, do the results from the first round affect tiebreakers used for second round standings?

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information