PDA

View Full Version : Qualification Tracking (all zones)

Dtown
09-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Now that we're a few matches into the 2nd round, we've got our first qualifiers set. This thread is to track all the teams that have officially qualified.

Host
China

Asia (7)
Australia
New Zealand
South Korea
Japan
Iran
Jordan
Philippines

Africa (5)
Nigeria
Tunisia
Angola
Sénégal
Côte D'Ivoire

Americas (7)
Argentina
United States
Venezuela
Canada
Brazil
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico

Europe (12)
Greece
Germany
Czech Republic
Lithuania
France
Spain
Turkey
Italy
Poland
Russia
Serbia
Montenegro

Teams officially eliminated
Virgin Islands, Syria, Slovenia, Qatar, Chad, Morocco, Rwanda, Mali, Egypt, Netherlands, Panama, Mexico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Chile, Kazachstan, Georgia, Croatia, Ukraine, Hungary, Central African Republic, Finland, Lebanon, Israel, Cameroon, Latvia, Uruguay

mojo13
09-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Now that we're a few matches into the 2nd round, we've got our first qualifiers set. This thread is to track all the teams that have officially qualified.

Host
China

Asia (7)

Africa (5)
Nigeria
Tunisia

Americas (7)

Europe (12)
Greece
Germany
Czech Republic
Lithuania

Teams close to qualifying
France, Spain, Senegal, Australia, Iran, New Zealand, United States, Argentina, Canada, Venezuela.

Virgin Islands

Chile is eliminated.

Dtown
09-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Chile is eliminated.

I was about to put them, but I wasn't sure if it was still mathematically feasible for them to catch the best fourth spot.

Realistically they have no shot in hell obviously.

If Puerto Rico or Uruguay lose out, and the Dominican Republic lose out (and Chile beat them by 26+) they're in, I think, could be wrong though.

On another note wiki says the Virgin Islands is out but I'm not sure on the math. Either way both teams should be out soon if they aren't already.

Edit: Okay looked over the rules, because VI got no points for the forfeit, even if they win out they can only get 17 points total. DR will get 17 so long as they don't forfeit a game, and DR holds the tie breakers over VI. Good enough for me.

ja.he
09-18-2018, 11:30 PM

Host
China

Asia (7)

Africa (5)
Nigeria
Tunisia

Americas (7)

Europe (12)
Greece
Germany
Czech Republic
Lithuania

France, Spain, Senegal, Australia, Iran, New Zealand, United States, Argentina, Canada, Venezuela.

Virgin Islands

Iran may lose their remaining 4 games. By looking at their remaining games, they will go up against australia twice, once against japan minus hachimura and watanabe, and possibly a full-strength philippine team since some of the mainstay will already finish serving their suspensions and our main bigs are finally healed from injuries by october. So with that being said, iran might end up at 6-6 or 7-5 and a possible tie breaker between japan (given they sweep their remaining games) and the philippines (if they sweep also their remaining games).

berksemi
09-19-2018, 12:10 PM
What is the status of Turkey?

Dtown
09-19-2018, 07:11 PM
What is the status of Turkey?

Two wins out of their last 4 should qualify them. That or a win and Montenegro and Ukraine defeats. Problem for Turkey is they have to play Spain twice.

Efesdxb
09-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Two wins out of their last 4 should qualify them. That or a win and Montenegro and Ukraine defeats. Problem for Turkey is they have to play Spain twice.

Depends on Spain's roster. We will not have critical players but most probably we will have our Eiroleague players except Wilbekin. If Spain didn't lose to Ukraine they would have already qualified and possibly they will come with very young team. But they have to win a game and they will target our game at home. Let's see...

Italian Pride
09-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Host
China

Asia (7)

Africa (5)
Nigeria
Tunisia

Americas (7)

Europe (12)
Greece
Germany
Czech Republic
Lithuania

Virgin Islands

Italy?

Dtown
09-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Italy?

Almost in an identical situation as Turkey. Two wins away or a win and Hungary and Poland suffer a defeat. Their problem is they have Lithuania twice.

Just a note, in terms of 'Teams close to qualifying' I mean they basically can qualify winning their very next game without help or with very little help.

Italian Pride
09-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Almost in an identical situation as Turkey. Two wins away or a win and Hungary and Poland suffer a defeat. Their problem is they have Lithuania twice.

Just a note, in terms of 'Teams close to qualifying' I mean they basically can qualify winning their very next game without help or with very little help.

we don't care other results,if we'll win against Hungary at home we 'll be in China,also if we'll lose other 3 games or if we'll win away in Poland next december

if this case isn't close to qualify i don't know in that case a team is closing to :D

Dtown
11-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Updates for the new window (nov-dec)

Asia:
Syria officially eliminated
Australia qualifies
New Zealand qualifies.
South Korea qualifies
Qatar eliminated

Europe
Slovenia officially eliminated.
France Qualifies.
Spain Qualifies

Americas
Argentina Qualifies
United States qualifies
Mexico officially eliminated
Venezuela qualified

Africa
Chad and Morocco officially eliminated.
Rwanda and Mali officially eliminated.
Angola qualifies.
Egypt officially eliminated

Dtown
02-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Big Day of qualifications.

Asia is now entirely confirmed. Africa will be determined later today. The last spot in Europe rests on Latvia vs Montenegro. The last two spots rests primarily on Uruguay vs. Puerto Rico.

Shawshank
02-26-2019, 11:07 AM
its a joke that that 2 weeks before draw and nobody knows what criteria will be in draw ceremony...One ltu basketball sites wrote such brackets if it will by results in qualification:

1: Lietuva, Greece, Tunisia, Nigeria, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand

(spain and france has worst plus/minus from all group winners)

2. Spain,France,Argentina,Senegal,Korea,Germany,Venez uela,Angola.

3.Italy,Turkey,Russia,Japan,Brasil,Poland,Iran,Cze ch

4.Dominica,Puertorico,Jordan,Serbia,Montenegro,Chi na,Philippines,Ivory coast

but if lets it would be by fiba rating:

1.would look like this: Usa,Spain,France,Serbia,Argentina,Lithuania,Greece ,Australia

and so on...

if go by results the group with Serbia would become death group.

Mindozas
02-26-2019, 11:26 AM
Geographical criteria shouldn't be excluded either. It always was there. I think most likely it will be somekind of mix between ranking and geography

EDIT: just remembered that China is already allocated in top seed as FIBA announced a week or couple ago, so none of the scenarios are right

Italian Pride
02-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Hy guys,do you know when FIBA will communicate the pot?

Mindozas
02-26-2019, 05:35 PM
The top seeds will be tournament hosts China and the seven best ranked qualified teams - USA, Spain, France, Serbia, Argentina, Lithuania and Greece.

The complete draw procedures, based on the ranking and geographical principles, will be published during the week leading up to the next milestone event on the Road to China 2019.

http://www.fiba.basketball/en/news/top-seeds-for-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-draw-confirmed-in-latest-nike-world-ranking-men

Dtown
02-26-2019, 05:41 PM
http://www.fiba.basketball/en/news/top-seeds-for-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-draw-confirmed-in-latest-nike-world-ranking-men

Hmm I don't know how I feel about the host being in pot 1, I suppose it's to give them an easier path, promote bigger crowds etc.

The other seven are perfectly fine however.

Mindozas
02-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Hmm I don't know how I feel about the host being in pot 1, I suppose it's to give them an easier path, promote bigger crowds etc.

The other seven are perfectly fine however.

Indeed. I don't remember any host bein' in top pot lately, just cause it's hosts. Nor in Olympics, nor in World Cup. Now, with especially such a big gap between China and other 1st seeds - it looks like a nonsense. China will be like a gift for lower seeded teams

mojo13
02-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Indeed. I don't remember any host bein' in top pot lately, just cause it's hosts. Nor in Olympics, nor in World Cup. Now, with especially such a big gap between China and other 1st seeds - it looks like a nonsense. China will be like a gift for lower seeded teams

Top 8 Seeds Announced based on Todays updated Rankings http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingmen/

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/top-seeds-for-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-draw-confirmed-in-latest-nike-world-ranking-men

China, USA, Spain, France, Serbia, Argentina, Lithuania and Greece.

Rest of the seeding process still not announced.

The wording in the press release makes it seem like it will be rankings with geographic considerations:
Here are the HYPOTHETICAL pots just on ranking:
1. CHI-USA-ESP-FRA-SRB-ARG-LIT-GRE
2. RUS-AUS-BRA-ITA-P.R-TUR-DOM-VEN
3. GER-CAN-CZE-POL.IRN-MTN-PHI-KOR
4. NIG-SEN-NZL-ANG-JAP-JOR-TUN-CMF

That would a nice FIBA cruel joke to see Canada win FIBA Americas but be the worst seeded Americas team. They told us the regional qualifier results mattered - did they publicly lie?

Shawshank
02-26-2019, 06:57 PM
So basically fiba is saying it doesn't matter what place you took in qualification 1st or 3rd...some teams would have sended u-18 teams to last window if they knew that...

Obviously from okenasia side Australia should have been in pot 1 not China. Chinas place in 3 pot by both rating and results in qf.

Mindozas
02-26-2019, 07:05 PM
So basically fiba is saying it doesn't matter what place you took in qualification 1st or 3rd...some teams would have sended u-18 teams to last window if they knew that...

Obviously from okenasia side Australia should have been in pot 1 not China. Chinas place in 3 pot by both rating and results in qf.

Not exactly true. Every win counted in qualifiers and it had impact on ranking, which was updated after each window. Final place in standings wasn't crucial, but wins/losses ratio was

Shawshank
02-26-2019, 07:54 PM
Not exactly true. Every win counted in qualifiers and it had impact on ranking, which was updated after each window. Final place in standings wasn't crucial, but wins/losses ratio was

Even if wins counted in fiba rankings I didn't see moving up for lithuanian in rankings with 11 wins. It's seems like one win in qf is worth less than 1 point in rankings... Slovenia lost almost all games still up there in same place.

mojo13
02-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Even if wins counted in fiba rankings I didn't see moving up for lithuanian in rankings with 11 wins. It's seems like one win in qf is worth less than 1 point in rankings... Slovenia lost almost all games still up there in same place.

I believe the QF games matter but they are just worth very little points.
Canada I think was flat at 23rd (or maybe even moved down a spot or two) even after going 10-2, winning the pool and even had a better point differential than the USA (so technically we may have won the FIBA Americas but moved no where in the rankings). Still too much weight on what happened 4, 6, 8 years ago.

Steadysoul
02-26-2019, 08:29 PM

They announced the change before days before the window

Steadysoul
02-26-2019, 08:33 PM
I believe the QF games matter but they are just worth very little points.
Canada I think was flat at 23rd (or maybe even moved down a spot or two) even after going 10-2, winning the pool and even had a better point differential than the USA (so technically we may have won the FIBA Americas but moved no where in the rankings). Still too much weight on what happened 4, 6, 8 years ago.

I wish they posted the point changes instead of the position changes. It would make it easier to understand for everyone involved.

Dtown
02-26-2019, 08:56 PM
For some stupid reason they don't archive their full rankings, however fiba had some articles from the different windows giving us some idea of the point changes

Present window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/top-seeds-for-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-draw-confirmed-in-latest-nike-world-ranking-men

December window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/greece-russia-italy-and-latvia-move-up-the-order-in-latest-nike-fiba-world-ranking-men

September window http://www.fiba.basketball/news/france-argentina-and-australia-just-avoid-being-overtaken-in-latest-fiba-world-ranking-men-presented-by-nike

US for example jumped from 767.1 in September to 793.7 now

while Spain fell from 704.1 in september to 703.4 now.

As to why, I have no idea lol. Both had similar records, though the US played a top 5 team in Argentina twice so that might have been a factor *shrug*.

Mindozas
02-26-2019, 09:07 PM

Of course it counted, that's what FIBA was sayin' ever since qualifiers started. They always were writing about updated ranking after each window, but since I don't care about it, I never paid attention. I think you can find how it works on ranking page

JGX
02-26-2019, 11:55 PM
For some stupid reason they don't archive their full rankings, however fiba had some articles from the different windows giving us some idea of the point changes

Present window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/top-seeds-for-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-draw-confirmed-in-latest-nike-world-ranking-men

December window. http://www.fiba.basketball/news/greece-russia-italy-and-latvia-move-up-the-order-in-latest-nike-fiba-world-ranking-men

September window http://www.fiba.basketball/news/france-argentina-and-australia-just-avoid-being-overtaken-in-latest-fiba-world-ranking-men-presented-by-nike

US for example jumped from 767.1 in September to 793.7 now

while Spain fell from 704.1 in september to 703.4 now.

As to why, I have no idea lol. Both had similar records, though the US played a top 5 team in Argentina twice so that might have been a factor *shrug*.

Even though FIBA's ranking formula is very simple--too simple--it is apparently too complicated for me as I can't figure out how the US rating could possibly have improved over each of the last two windows.

Anyway, while the FIBA ranking is stupid, trying to divine some sort of qualification rankings between teams that played in different groups against different opponenents is even more stupid, so using FIBA ranking for the draw with some mechanism for ensuring geographical diversity in the groups is a reasonable way to go.

usagre
02-27-2019, 12:09 AM
There are so many mediocre/bad teams in this extended field that for me if you can’t finish second in your group I have no sympathy for you.

usagre
02-27-2019, 12:24 AM
3 out of the 8 groups are gonna be extremely weak. If you consider that Iran, Philippines, and South Korea will be in Pot 3. If you factor the geographical principles and the teams in Pot 4 that means those 3 teams will probably be grouped with an African team in Pot 4 or New Zealand. Now that makes those 3 groups really weak. So the top two teams in those groups definitely have no excuses.

mojo13
02-27-2019, 01:02 AM
There are so many mediocre/bad teams in this extended field that for me if you can’t finish second in your group I have no sympathy for you.

You say that but Australia is a really good 2 and Canada and even Germany are very good threes. There is the possiblity of death pools.

If fact it looks to me like Canada will be in a pool with either Australia, Turkey, Italy or Russia as a 2 to avoid the other fiba America’s teams. Which of the 1 seeds wants that? Since it can’t be Argentina or USA, unless it is China then there is your death pool.

Add Nigeria to it as a 4 seed to more of a party. But I hope they stick Nigeria in Greece’s pool as a laugh. They could be quite the 4 seed.

Dtown
02-27-2019, 02:45 AM
You say that but Australia is a really good 2 and Canada and even Germany are very good threes. There is the possiblity of death pools.

If fact it looks to me like Canada will be in a pool with either Australia, Turkey, Italy or Russia as a 2 to avoid the other fiba America’s teams. Which of the 1 seeds wants that? Since it can’t be Argentina or USA, unless it is China then there is your death pool.

Add Nigeria to it as a 4 seed to more of a party. But I hope they stick Nigeria in Greece’s pool as a laugh. They could be quite the 4 seed.

Greece
Australia
Canada
Nigeria

Can you imagine the rage?

usagre
02-27-2019, 03:13 AM
How about this one ?

China
Dominican Republic
Poland
Ivory Coast

Steadysoul
02-27-2019, 03:20 AM
Even though FIBA's ranking formula is very simple--too simple--it is apparently too complicated for me as I can't figure out how the US rating could possibly have improved over each of the last two windows.

Anyway, while the FIBA ranking is stupid, trying to divine some sort of qualification rankings between teams that played in different groups against different opponenents is even more stupid, so using FIBA ranking for the draw with some mechanism for ensuring geographical diversity in the groups is a reasonable way to go.

From what I could understand the events are now weighted. So the older the event the less it's worth. USA has frequently skipped the Americup. They haven't this cycled and they won. Plus the qualifier games.