• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violence hurts Chinese basketball

Unruly fans mar CBA season
    By Zhao Rui (China Daily)
    Updated: 2008-01-03 10:36

The Guangdong Horses were predictable heroes in what turned out to be one of the most unpredictable Chinese Basketball Association CBA seasons on record.

Despite the absence of superstar Yi Jianlian, the fist-pumping Horses are headed to the playoffs after the franchise's best-ever season. But their achievement has been overshadowed by a multitude of unruly fans, whose bottle-throwing and obscenity-laced antics have marred an otherwise successful year.

Over the past three months, the league best known for generating NBA sensations like Yao Ming and Yi was instead awash in headlines of court violence, misbehaving fans and cheating referees.

Concerns of badly managed games and spectator violence that have hurt China's men's soccer league have now also blighted basketball.

Last week's final game of 2007, which saw the Horses take on sixth-ranked Shangdong Gold in Shangdong, saw plastic cups and water bottles rain down on the court after some questionable calls. The game was halted for seven minutes as Guangdong's head coach Li Chunjiang exchanged some heated words with a technical staffer after Li's assistant was hit in face by a water bottle thrown by a spectator.

CBA spectator violence has grown rapidly since the league tipped off in October. Games were criticized as being "totally out of control" by state media after three separate incidents similar to what happened in Shangdong occurred on the home court of Shaanxi Dongsheng in Xi'an.

"For players, it really hurts," said Guangdong forward Du Feng. "I am very disappointed. You play so hard for fans but they curse you and throw bottles at you. Maybe you ask yourself 'why do I play?'. I understand fans want their home teams to win. The problem is that they have never considered the players' safety and feelings.

"Where are the police and security when we are attacked by fans? I guess the league has certain regulations on what they should do, but definitely they did nothing."

The league's governing body - the Chinese Administrative Center of Basketball - reacted quickly to the incidents, slapping the clubs hosting misbehaving fans with a 10,000 yuan ($1,351) fine. But it seems far less effective than the efforts their NBA counterparts have made to curb unruly behavior.

After the infamous on-court brawl between fans and players in 2004, the NBA moved to limit such image-harming incidents by implementing a zero-tolerance policy for players. By that policy, a player arguing a call or even throwing up his hands in frustration would get a technical foul and a fine. Those strict regulations, which were somewhat relaxed in subsequent years, effectively controlled players' on-court behavior, and with added spectator security, quelled fan violence as well.

China has started working on similar regulations.

"We will try to find more ways to educate our players and fans in the new year," said Hao Guohua, director of the CBA's managing office. "We have worked for more than ten years to make the CBA a better league and we have our world-famous stars like Yi and Yao, so we cannot let its image get destroyed by such problems.

"Everybody takes the things seriously, I am sure you will see a decent solution in the very near future."
    Despite the absence of Yi Jianlian, Guangdong Horses are headed to the playoffs after the franchise's best-ever season. But their achievement has been overshadowed by a multitude of unruly fans.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I never understood fans who feel compelled to throw bottles and things at players and refs, whether it be Basketball in China or Soccer/Football in Europe.

It's disgusting behavior by classless "fans."

Comment

Originally posted by yaofan
      I never understood fans who feel compelled to throw bottles and things at players and refs, whether it be Basketball in China or Soccer/Football in Europe.

It's disgusting behavior by classless "fans."
      You can't understand all the people. Alcohol cause this in many cases. You never will understand this behavior until you are drunk One person stand still but many people starting act like animals.

Comment

test im not so sure if alcohol is served in bball games or football games here in china. if sinoball or someone else could clarify that would be great.

10,000 kuai slap on the wrist for a fine. that's hilarious. if you're rich in china, you're rich, if you're poor, your poor. i hope the middless class grows bigger though. but if you are rich in china, 10,000 kuai is nothing to that perosn or club owner
        "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Those Chinese fans are really loyal to their teams! Hopefully the CBA officials and even the refeeres are not corrupt in deciding who wins the game. This would cause great harm for Chinese basketball.

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information