• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'8'' prospect Xu Yong

Xu Yong (Kevin), 1987-89
    Former CBA club: Shanghai Sharks
    High school: Bush (Seattle, WA) 2005-06

MVP of the Adidas Asian Camp 2005. I don't know his plans next season, but his high school team seems a little too crappy for him. (He poured in a few 30+ games when a typical game has a result of 40-28).

aim low, score high

An Month Old topic, but nonetheless I want to bring it back.

I more or less helped Yaomingmania track the progess of Xu Yong when he was playing for Bush school. But over the summer he just seemed to have disappered off the face of the Earth, or at least no news has reached my ears. Perhaps Sinoball or anyone else could shed some light on this?

Comment

Xu Yong is already playing in the CBA after the "Asian Games" break for the Shanghai Sharks. He appeared in only 1 game so far (3 DNPs?) and had 8p 4r in 15min.

As you know last year he was sent to the US and played for Bush High School near Seattle and was even ranked #1 in the center position (even though he is natural forward at 6'8'') in the State of Washington of his class (of 2009) by northeasthoops.com, after averaging 18 points per game and sometimes outscoring the entire opponent team.

However, he is much older than the other players (going back to the age thing... he was at least in 10th grade in 2003 when he starred in China's Nike CHBL league) so I would not really say he's already an NBA prospect. The competition was also crappy too (Class 1A). One thing I do know he is an explosive player with a strong body, unlike many other Chinese players his age.

Last edited by sinobball; 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Here has Xu Yong been?? He's what we desperately need on our "A" team since he's a tall, strong, explosive and very athletic and fluid SG. What are the chances he will crack the "A" team before next summer?
        YI JIANLIAN BLOG

Comment

I compiled a few of his dunks this year. The ASG dunk from last year is at the end

He's allegedly born in 1989. Yao Ming, who is also from Shanghai and knows him well (through their parents), assures us the DOB is correct, although it is still arguable (I don't believe Yao will lie but he may be misled). Either way, I am very sure he's no older than 20 and can still improve. His efficiency is so far in the top 10 of CBA. However to make the NBA he still has a lot to work on, such as shooting and ball handling. I think he has the physical tools and the IQ to make it, if he works hard.

CNN's special on him a few years ago, very crappy quality though
          Last edited by sinobball; 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM.
          aim low, score high

Comment

Definately not NBA ready. I see lots of potential, since he is tall and athletic. If he adds some weight we might start to see something going on then.

Comment

Xu Yong this season:
              18.5p (63.3%FG, 28.7%3P, 68.1%FT) 6.4r (1.8/4.6) 3.4a 1.9s 1.3b 2.6to 3.3PF

His efficiency is in the top 5 of domestic Chinese players, after Wang Zhizhi, MenkBateer, Tang Zhengdong, and Zhang Kai (all post players). Moreover his numbers have significantly increased as of late. Last 4 games: 26p, 28p, 25p, 35p

Strengths: Athleticism, height, aggressiveness on both ends (somewhat cocky), good basketball IQ -- unselfish player. Right hand hookshot is good.

Weaknesses: 3p shooting and free throws suck. Relies way too much on athleticism and not much variation in finishing a drive. Help defense is excellent owing to his athleticism and aggressiveness but one on one defense is no good, especially against bigger imports. He has a good frame but can still add more weight.

The one thing that especially concerns me is that he doesn't seem to possess a very fast first step. His ball handling is good for his height but not good for his position (SF). These two combined means he will struggle in attacking the rim against tighter defense. He also only shoots facing the basket, never seen a turn around jumper.

Still the kid has more potential than anyone in China (at least CBA) at this point. I worry that he will not properly develop all the skills in China since he can easily dominate the competition sorely on his athleticism.
              aim low, score high

Comment

Most likely will develop good skills later on. The kid definately has more potential than anyone in China. He has all the right tools to be a good player.

Comment

I'm not very impressed by those clips. I like his athleticism, but as Sino says, he'll absolutely need to develop a reliable outside shot and improve his ball handling if he expects to make the NBA or even be a good player for the CNT.

He is the perfect candidate to move to a Euro league.

Comment

Only he dunks?
                    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Originally posted by yaofan
                      I'm not very impressed by those clips. I like his athleticism, but as Sino says, he'll absolutely need to develop a reliable outside shot and improve his ball handling if he expects to make the NBA or even be a good player for the CNT.

He is the perfect candidate to move to a Euro league.

well, that clip only show his highlights - which are usually dunks. how exciting would it be to see a player take ordinary outside shots in a highlight reel? You'll have to watch entire game(s) to judge him. But by the stats, he needs work on 3 point shooting and free throws. Although, SFs aren't expected to jack up alot of 3 pointers.

I think he should stay in the CBA for another year or two, get on the national team for Beijing 2008 where he gets alot of attention from NBA scouts. Then 2-3 years from now, he will become a lottery pick.

Playing in Euro league won't help him at all. His marketing potential declines because he won't be as popular in China. He can stay in China and help the CBA league improve it's image and skill level.

Comment

Originally posted by anthoang
                        well, that clip only show his highlights - which are usually dunks. how exciting would it be to see a player take ordinary outside shots in a highlight reel? You'll have to watch entire game(s) to judge him. But by the stats, he needs work on 3 point shooting and free throws. Although, SFs aren't expected to jack up alot of 3 pointers.

I think he should stay in the CBA for another year or two, get on the national team for Beijing 2008 where he gets alot of attention from NBA scouts. Then 2-3 years from now, he will become a lottery pick.

Playing in Euro league won't help him at all. His marketing potential declines because he won't be as popular in China. He can stay in China and help the CBA league improve it's image and skill level.
                        You're right...I'd like to see some footage of his jumper, and see whether or not he can create scoring opportunities for himself off the dribble. Also, I'd like to see how he handles the ball in the open court facing pressure defense. He certainly has all the physical tools.

My question...is he really 6'9? I thought he was in the 6'5-6'6 range. If he's truly 6'9, he can still be a very effective blue collar type player without developing as much of an offensive skill set.

Comment

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Yong-Xu-5149/
                          A Look at… Yong Xu
                          February 28, 2008
                          by: Luis Fernández - Director of International Scouting

While we wait for the next big Chinese prospect to emerge, perhaps the most intriguing stuff coming from a youngster in the CBA this past season has been delivered by Yong Xu, an athletic wing who plays for Shanghai Sharks.

Not precisely a new name in the basketball world, Yong was selected MVP of the Adidas Asia Camp back in 2005, spending the following season in the States at the Bush School in Seattle. This past summer we could take a look at him at the U-19 World Championship, where he emerged as the most interesting player on a very weak Chinese team, while averaging 15.8 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists. Back in China, he has been able to translate that nice summer effort to the CBA competition, going for 18.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists throughout the regular season. He has even shown nice progression during the season, improving in the five-game span that closed the campaign for 25.2 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5 assists.

Yong has little competition in his country in terms of physical promise. Fluid and fairly quick, he easily gets off the floor showing good elevation that allows him to often play above the rim, quite a rare feat for a perimeter player in the Asian country. And not only is he athletic, but he also enjoys solid length for a wing player. There are controversial reports on his size, listing him up to 6-9. He’s not by any means that tall, most likely around 6-7, although he might very well stand a legit 6-8 in shoes. Rather skinny, his frame is noticeably better than your average Chinese player still.

Despite his offensive production, Yong still hasn’t been able to emerge as a go-to player on the Shanghai Sharks (by the way, a below-average team in the CBA these days). Not the greatest ball-handler around, he struggles working with his left hand in traffic, while his right-hand can only be described as just decent. So it’s not common to see Yong attacking his opponents in one-on-one situations. When he does, he usually goes right, and still he struggles to get rid of his defender, mostly because he’s not lighting quick off the dribble, and he barely shows any ability to change directions on the move to answer his match-up’s reaction. Therefore he’s not a player you can consistently trust to create offensive opportunities for the team.

Still, Yong stays pretty active on the floor looking for opportunities. He’s a fairly aggressive player who shows a certain tendency to visit the paint, either cutting from the perimeter, on slashing moves taking advantage of an unbalanced defense, trying to cash in off his superior size in the low post (although his hook shot seems to need a lot of work), or sometimes looking for good position to crash the offensive glass. Certainly the general softness of the CBA helps him in this regard.

A very average shooter, Yong still hasn’t been able to develop a consistent jumper. He can knock down open spot-up treys, even off-the-dribble perimeter attempts if it doesn’t mean having to change directions sharply, but hardly on a regular clip (he has failed to break the 30% mark this season). He shows nice elevation his shot, but his point of release looks inconsistent. He looks a bit better from mid-range distances, showing also better ability to connect on wilder attempts, sometimes a profitable solution for those drives when he can’t get rid of his defender.

A nice open court player, Yong thrives in transition, exhibiting his solid quickness, while he loves to finish with powerful dunks, thanks to his excellent leaping ability. He loves to play above the rim, and not only is the dunk his favorite scoring option, but he’s often pretty active on defensive rotations trying to block shots on the other end of the floor. To be more precise, Yong’s team defense rotates between disinterest and flashy activity. This seems especially true with the Shanghai Sharks (with the National Team he looks more devoted to the cause), being more in tune with a CBA league where defensive rotations are not particularly emphasized. When it comes to one-on-one defense, he’s not as effective as his tools should allow him to be, lacking aggressiveness on the ball, and perhaps better footwork to translate his athleticism into lateral quickness.

We’re yet not especially sure about where his basketball IQ stands. It often looks like he could take better advantage of his tools, but anyway he’s proving to be pretty effective in the CBA at his young age (supposedly born in 1989). Besides, he shows some signs of intriguing passing ability, with arguably the most common dishes coming off his driving attempts, often feeding continuations to his left while he attacks the basket with his right hand.

It doesn’t get much more interesting anywhere else in the CBA, and yet Yong has a very long way to go. For starters, he will need to seriously work on his ball-handling skills, actually on his general off-the-dribble game, and his shooting ability. If he managed to become more consistent in those departments, as well as continued to fill out physically, he would likely become a serious NBA prospect.
                          aim low, score high

Comment

I think people are too harsh on the kid. This was his first year in the CBA, and last year he was in the sophmore or Junior year of highschool. He is arond 6'9, saw a picture of him and Tracy Mcgrady together and they are about the same height.

The problem with a lot of these video mixes are that it only shows dunks and it doesnt really do the player any justice. Found a video of his shooting, passing, steals, blocks and dunks. So a more complete package of his game.

视频服务平台,提供视频播放,视频发布,视频搜索,视频分享

Btw, if you cant find him, he wears #23, and usually wears a white or black leg sleeve on his left leg.

Comment

Sad news: Xu Yong has a bone tumor on his left femur and is hospitalized in Shanghai. A biopsy has been harvested but is awaiting diagnosis. At the best scenario he's expected to miss at least 1 year of court time. At the very worst scenario he'll lose his left leg, and may possibly die of cancer (osteosarcoma).

Update: A report by Xinhua (official Chinese press) managed to track down Xu's doctors. China has pretty much no patient privacy, and the doctors described the location as behind the left knee, and was initially diagnosed as nothing more than a cyst but later discovered it was indeed a tumor. They described the possibility of the tumor being benign-malignant as 30-70. They do not consider it life threatening however.
                              Last edited by sinobball; 04-14-2008, 02:14 AM.
                              aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information