[merged] Chinese streetballers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [merged] Chinese streetballers

As popularity of basketball in China surges, so does this what is called "streetball". When I was in China this year I was a little saddened by this streetball craze-- no fundamentals. However, you can't deny the best of the best have skillz... even if it was against not so good comp.

"Tru Sauce"
    While his nickname is not original, his moves are.... 180cm, 19 years old, from Xuzhou, Jiangsu

Last edited by sinobball; 12-22-2007, 05:40 AM.
    aim low, score high

"More Free"

a 22 year old kid from Beijing, probably the most well known streetballer in China. Won a Nike free style contest when he was in middle school, in high school became the most popular kid in a national TV reality show "Road to Gold Medal" featuring young players. Appeared in tons of commercial events

Earlier this year was invited to Hong Kong for the AND1 Asia Tour and was the only guy who could held his own against the AND1 crew...

Unfortunately while his moves are good, he wasn't used to having players giving him a body in China, thus the turnover vs. "Showtimestopper"

Wu You aka More free has been trying out for CBA teams in recent years but doubt he can make it... China streetball legend though
    Last edited by sinobball; 12-22-2007, 06:18 AM.
    aim low, score high

Comment

No offence, but my experience tells me Chinese cant do nothing new just copy.

Comment

Many copying and lingering moves, even in the Philippines have it.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
          Unfortunately while his moves are good, he wasn't used to having players giving him a body in China, thus the turnover vs. "Showtimestopper"
          no offense man, but what else is new, the slightest body or body contact made and every kid in beijing court is saying "fan gui"
          "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Test
            No offense, but your experience, as well as your attitude, sucks.

Streetball is an African-American culture to begin with. Of course Chinese will imitate the moves, the hairdo, the music when it comes to it. Just like when so many Westerners practice kung fu/tae kwon doe/akido etc. they dress Asian and wear ribbons with Chinese chracters they cannot even recognize.
            aim low, score high

Comment

As popularity of basketball in China surges, so does this what is called "streetball". When I was in China this year I was a little saddened by this streetball craze-- no fundamentals. However, you can't deny the best of the best have skillz...
              I agree with you, Sino. Personally, I don't like the streetball style. When guys come to my gym and play that way, the regular players get so frustrated because of the travels, palming, and other violations. For me, it's not fun to watch.

However, it does take skill. Streetball style is not a mindless exercise. It takes practice and dedication (which I think these kids should put toward their jump-shot). Of course, Rafer Alston has made a good, practical career after his streetball years, so maybe it's OK for some of these kids to dream about the CBA or other leagues.
              Originally posted by Test
              Yeah, they really did a bad job with paper, the printing press, iron, the compass, guns...
              Originally posted by "Sinobball
              ...ith Chinese chracters they cannot even recognize
              Off topic: didn't Yao say that Kenyon Martin's Chinese tattoos say something like "passive man" or something like that?
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Remember out of all the AND1 players, only Rafer made the NBA. And he is at best average. Can't shoot.

Most streetballers with great handles seem to lack a jump shot. Readily coming to mind is a 5-year CBA import God Shammgod, whom Ron Artest called "the greatest handle in the world". He definitely could have stayed in NBA but has to settle for China due to lack of jump shot.

Martin's tattoo literally means "worrying about gain, worrying about loss". Yao translated it as "indecisive" and Martin was not happy. He thought it meant "relentless".
                aim low, score high

Comment

Most streetballers with great handles seem to lack a jump shot. Readily coming to mind is a 5-year CBA import God Shammgod, whom Ron Artest called "the greatest handle in the world". He definitely could have stayed in NBA but has to settle for China due to lack of jump shot.
                  Yep. That stuff takes talent, but the point of basketball is to put the ball through the hoop, not waste 25 seconds on the clock.
                  Martin's tattoo literally means "worrying about gain, worrying about loss". Yao translated it as "indecisive" and Martin was not happy. He thought it meant "relentless".
                  Was Martin unhappy with Yao or unhappy with his lousy tattoo?
                  "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Lil Wizard is more impressive IMO.

Comment

Remember out of all the AND1 players, only Rafer made the NBA. And he is at best average. Can't shoot.

Note that God Shammgod got cut by Zhejiang in the middle of the season. As the CBA gets more sophisticated players can no longer make it on athleticism alone.

Comment

[video]Crazy Handle of 2008 China Streetball 京武门"

StreetBallers Unit Vol.2
                        China the best streetball open run

★★Crews: CL smooth crew (BJC) , 313 (WHC)
                        ★★Oct 3, 2008
                        Game begin at 10:00AM
                        ★★Battle-ground: Wuhan City ,08 SPORTS CENTER
                        ★★Program :
                        3 on 3 basketball tournament
                        Slam Dunk competition
                        ★★Ticket prices: ¥20

Tel+86)13971186414
                        Official Blog : basketballshow.blog.sohu#com
                        check "#" to "."

Comment

[video]Crazy Handle of 2008 China Streetball 京武门"

the best shooting guard ,Crazy Handle of 2008 China Streetball 京武门"he's from wuhan city

the best shooting guard ,Crazy Handle of 2008 China Streetball 京武门"
                          he's from wuhan city
                          wuhan 313 streetball crew

Comment

Streetball in China

Hi Everyone!
                            After viewing a couple of Chinese streetball videos on youtube I became quite interested on the Chinese streetball vs American streetball styles. They seem very similar in some aspects while different in others. For instance, they both use flashy and creative moves to showcase their talents; however, Chinese streetballers seem to incorporate thier own culture into tricks by adding a martial arts style. Does anyone else see this?
                            Last edited by Liux43; 02-05-2011, 11:53 PM.

Comment

SKY Shemgod Streetball Tour

For those who are interested in learning a little more about the background/history of street basketball in China, as well as about some street ball events going on in the country this summer, check this out: http://www.niubball.com/2011/04/for-...y-s-the-limit/
                              NiuBBall.com - www.niubball.com
                              Basketball with Chinese Characteristics

Sina Weibo: @NiuBBall

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information