View Full Version : 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - ASIA-PACIFIC

sinobball
05-08-2017, 03:37 AM
http://sports.mb.com.ph/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/unnamed6.jpg

Games begin on November 23.
http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/groups#

mohsena2631
08-17-2017, 02:55 PM
Iranian officials just confirmed that Tehran will host all home games here. which is a bit disappointing because in Tehran this is always possible to play in semi-empty stadiums !

I noticed our first game will be Iraq away. I wonder where Iraq will host the game ? inside Iraq ?

Lebasketball
08-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Iranian officials just confirmed that Tehran will host all home games here. which is a bit disappointing because in Tehran this is always possible to play in semi-empty stadiums !

I noticed our first game will be Iraq away. I wonder where Iraq will host the game ? inside Iraq ?

I've heard that the Iraqi federation are working to play at home but they must take into consideration a lot of things.
Plenty of members from Fiba Asia and Hagop went to Iraq few months ago but I don't know if the Iraqi federation worked on this issue.

Levenspiel
11-14-2017, 02:45 PM
16 countries participating the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup will compete in the FIBA Basketball World Cup Asian qualifiers. 8 teams will qualify for the main event.

China, the host of the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup, will also participate in the qualifiers despite being automatically qualified for the FIBA Basketball World Cup as hosts.

Groups:

A: China (qualified as host), New Zealand, South Korea, Hong Kong
B: Japan, Chinese Taipei, Australia, Philippines
C: Syria, Lebanon, India, Jordan
D: Iraq, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Iran

Link to IBN's Philipinnes section (http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?42873-FIBA-Asia-Pacific-World-Cup-Qualifiers) of the qualifiers
Link to IBN's China section (http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?34761-2019-2nd-FIBA-World-Cup-Qualifiers) of the qualifiers

sinobball
11-20-2017, 08:19 PM
I've heard that the Iraqi federation are working to play at home but they must take into consideration a lot of things.
Plenty of members from Fiba Asia and Hagop went to Iraq few months ago but I don't know if the Iraqi federation worked on this issue.

Looks like Iraq will play in Jordan and Syria will play in Lebanon.

CKR13
11-22-2017, 10:06 PM
The Tall Blacks lineup that will be hosting Korea in Wellington is simply a lot stronger than the one in the FIBA Asia Cup. Good for the Kiwis in mustering that kind of roster for the qualifiers.

CKR13
11-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Former teammates in KGC: Oh Se-Keun, Park Chan-Hee, Lee Jung-Hyun and Yang Hee-Jong starting for Korea with Kim Jong-Kyu.

CKR13
11-23-2017, 06:55 AM
HT: KOR leads NZL 41-39. That 3-2 zone allows Korea to even up the rebounding department over a physically stronger Kiwi side. While Tall Blacks are getting the lift from the Webster brothers but a number of sloppy sequence allowed Korea some quick hitters.

CKR13
11-23-2017, 07:32 AM
End of 3Q: KOR leads NZL 60-59. Kiwis ramping up the back-court pressure as they erased Korea's previous 9pt lead.

CKR13
11-23-2017, 07:56 AM
KOR up 80-75 vs NZL with 1:01 remaining.

CKR13
11-23-2017, 08:03 AM
What an upset by Korea, 86-80. Gritty plays for both teams in the closing minutes. Jeon Jun-Beom's shooting lifted Korea.

Dtown
11-23-2017, 02:24 PM
First day, first upset, though then again Korea beat them in the Asia Cup too.

CKR13
11-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Aussies just cruising past Taiwan. Mitch Creek had a poster dunk.

mohsena2631
11-24-2017, 07:19 PM
well, I was expecting a tough games vs Iraq but still this was beyond imagination. the worst game I ever seen from TM without any doubt . they got humiliated by Iraq ! and it's not like Iraq had a dream game (yeah they played great only in the 4th quarter)

I don't know who to blame, Haddadi, Mashoun, Hatami, Aslani ? the coaching was disastrous , the player selection , they went to Jordan with Riaei and Arghavan as center !! yeah they missed Haddadi and Yakhchali and the new guy Geramipour but they still had the core team !

and I wonder why the hell Haddadi came all the way from to China to play only one game ?! we knew home game vs Qatar is much easier than Iraq away. he was just lazy to travel to Jordan with the team. I'm not sure if we even can qualify for the world cup with this coach and some of these players. some players are only good for the club level, playing for the NT is something else.

last but not least, Mahmoud Mashhoun resigned as IRIBF president today, after 14 years. (he had to leave his position because of his age and per some new rules in Iran) but he did that today, right before the game and I'm quite sure that was very important for the players and the coach. I consider this as betrayal, he knew he has to leave but he did that today to hurt the team.

sinobball
11-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Sun Minghui who averages 2.9ppg in CBA is straight up destroying South Korean guards. 19 points in 15 min in 1st half. Dude is gunning for that 2019 NT spot.

Problem is this Chinese team has virtually no inside presence especially on defense

Dtown
11-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Pretty clear, even just two games in, Hong Kong is the overmatched team in Group A. Right now it's about positioning for the 2nd round.

locdogjr
11-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Sun Minghui who averages 2.9ppg in CBA is straight up destroying South Korean guards. 19 points in 15 min in 1st half. Dude is gunning for that 2019 NT spot.

Problem is this Chinese team has virtually no inside presence especially on defense

Not simply relying on big men for a change might actually help China....

Dtown
11-26-2017, 02:44 PM
BTW can anyone explain how qualification works with China given they're already qualified for 2019? If China makes the second round (pretty much a sure thing) will the next best team aside from China make it to the World Cup?

mohsena2631
11-26-2017, 07:39 PM
BTW can anyone explain how qualification works with China given they're already qualified for 2019? If China makes the second round (pretty much a sure thing) will the next best team aside from China make it to the World Cup?

they will go the 2nd round but if China makes it to top 4 of the 2nd round group. both 4th placers from both groups will qualify for the World Cup.

mohsena2631
11-26-2017, 07:47 PM
Iran is in big trouble and I'm not sure even against Qatar, Haddadi left Iran without even noticing the coach and will not play tomorrow. apparently they expelled Hassanzadeh from the camp. Yakhchali won't be ready and we will have more or less the same roster for the Qatar game. as I said before Mashhoun's resignation created so much problems inside the team. apparently there will be chaos for a while when a dictator goes out. some players love him, some players hate him.

some "experts" made joke of our Iraq roster, something like out of 12 players we had 8 players for one position (Power forward) and only 4 for other 4 positions ! this is a bit of exaggeration but more or less the truth. they tried to make it better by adding Mirzaei and Rezaeifar for qatar game but still the team is loaded with power forwards !

watching the Asian qualifiers, stadiums are almost packed everywhere, quite sure we will play in an almost empty stadium tomorrow. (I hope I'm wrong though)

carlo
11-26-2017, 07:47 PM

The top three teams from each of the two groups and the better placed fourth team will make it to the WC. If China is among them, then the other fourth-placed nation will also qualify.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIBA_Basketball_World_Cup_qualification_(Asia )

Big win of Jordan today, unbeaten now in its group.

CKR13
11-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Very good win for China, stunning Korea at home. Those aggressive drives cut through Korea's 3-2 zone and it allowed a lot of open shots. China knew that Korea had almost no shot blocking capability when Lee Jong-Hyun is on the floor and that was key as guys like Ding Yanyuhang and Sun Minghui were driving to the basket with wild finishes.

In this game, China exposed Korea's weaknesses: Lack of shot blockers and how weak individually is the man to man coverage. This is why Korea uses a 3-2 dropzone to cover their weakness.

CKR13
11-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Japan doing its best just to catch up against them Boomers who are playing relaxed.

ja.he
12-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Very good win for China, stunning Korea at home. Those aggressive drives cut through Korea's 3-2 zone and it allowed a lot of open shots. China knew that Korea had almost no shot blocking capability when Lee Jong-Hyun is on the floor and that was key as guys like Ding Yanyuhang and Sun Minghui were driving to the basket with wild finishes.

In this game, China exposed Korea's weaknesses: Lack of shot blockers and how weak individually is the man to man coverage. This is why Korea uses a 3-2 dropzone to cover their weakness.

i am planning to watch the game between korea and china and see how china forced korea to use man-to-man. philippines has really a hard time against koreans. i think forcing korea to utilize man-to-man will do wonders for the philippines in the future. philippines has many good one-on-one players and ddo will be effective against man-to-man.

CKR13
12-23-2017, 10:26 PM
i am planning to watch the game between korea and china and see how china forced korea to use man-to-man. philippines has really a hard time against koreans. i think forcing korea to utilize man-to-man will do wonders for the philippines in the future. philippines has many good one-on-one players and ddo will be effective against man-to-man.

In the recent Asia Cup, Gilas had Korea on the ropes with the baseline drives of Castro and his timely assists to Stanhardinger where Korea was exposed defensively on two fronts:

1. Weak man to man coverage on a ball handler
2. No shot-blocking

But then Terrence Romeo's hero ball rendered the dribble drive out of sync and that made Gilas take too many contested shots.

ja.he
01-02-2018, 03:57 AM
In the recent Asia Cup, Gilas had Korea on the ropes with the baseline drives of Castro and his timely assists to Stanhardinger where Korea was exposed defensively on two fronts:

1. Weak man to man coverage on a ball handler
2. No shot-blocking

But then Terrence Romeo's hero ball rendered the dribble drive out of sync and that made Gilas take too many contested shots.

Well, terrence romeo, like calvin abueva and andray blatche, is a double-edged sword. He may do wonders with his skills but he may also hurt withsl it. For instance, terrence's heroics propelled gilas to win against more individualistic china but proved to be fatal against team-oriented korea.

I'm not solely blame terrence for our loss. I also blame the late entry of junmar fajardo because his entry disrupted the chemistry of an otherwise more mobile gilas team. He is so slow to react in pick and roll. Had he entered at the very first game against china, he could have an opportunity to gel with other players.

CKR13
01-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Japan NT Pool for the FIBA Asia February 2018 2nd Window Qualifiers

Ira Brown (Ryukyu Golden Kings), Atsuya Ota (Phoenix San’en), Kosuke Takeuchi (Tochigi Brex), Joji Takeuchi (Toyota Alvark), Takuya Kawamura (Yokohama B-Corsairs), Takatoshi Furukawa (Ryukyu Golden Kings), Ryoma Hashimoto (Mikawa SeaHorses), Ryusei Shinoyama (Kanagawa Brave Thunders), Ryota Nakanishi (Kumamoto Volters), Kosuke Kanamaru (Mikawa SeaHorses), Naoto Tsuji (Kanagawa Brave Thunders), Makoto Hiejima (Mikawa SeaHorses), Naoya Kumagae (Osaka Evessa), Naoki Uto (Toyama Grouses), Yuya Nagayoshi (Kyoto Hannaryz), Daiki Tanaka (Toyota Alvark), Tenketsu Harimoto (Nagoya Dolphins), Yuki Togashi (Chiba Jets) Yudai Baba (Toyota Alvark), Hyu Watanabe aka Hugh Hogland (Portland Pilots), Yudai Nishida (Tokai University), Chikara Tanaka (Yokosuka Shiritsu Sakamoto Junior High School)

CKR13
01-13-2018, 04:31 AM
Ricardo Ratliffe's 'special naturalization' procedure could see a resolution as early as next week:
http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/01/11/2018011100453.html?rsMobile=false

If approved by the ministry of justice, Ratliffe will then take the next steps in attaining a citizenship and Korean passport. Time is of the essence as Korea will need to submit Ratliffe's name to FIBA, where Ministry of Justice and the Korean Sports Commission will allow that if Ratliffe has cleared administrative per-requisites.

Meanwhile Ratliffe will return to Samsung after sitting out with a medical hernia. He has been sidelined since mid December and after the All-Star break this weekend, Ratliffe can play.

CKR13
01-18-2018, 01:34 AM
Hyu Watanabe aka Hugh Hogland has been in attendance during the 4 day training camp for the Japanese NT. His availability is clear given that he's serving his red shirt year in Portland. From the workouts, he runs the floor quite well, has a high motor when it comes to beneath the basket position and is more athletic than the ageing Takeuchis and definitely, Ota. What he needs is to build upper body strength as he has trouble finishing amidst contact with Ira Brown and the bruiser Yuya.

CKR13
01-19-2018, 08:28 AM
Ministry of Justice approves the 'special naturalization' procedure and Ratliffe is expected to suit up now.

CKR13
01-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Ricardo Ratliffe is now a naturalized Korean: http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20180122005900315&site=0700000000&mobile

CKR13
01-23-2018, 02:31 AM
Boomers announce a new 24 man player pool for February Asian Qualifiers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUMPlubVwAAgv52.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/955625192667078657

ja.he
01-23-2018, 04:30 AM
Boomers announce a new 24 man player pool for February Asian Qualifiers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUMPlubVwAAgv52.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/955625192667078657

Wow, this nbl boomers is really gaining experience - very valuable experience. Except to the 6 players (goulding, andersen, gibson, martin, newley and lisch), the rest of the pool has no real senior international basketball tournament experience until last year. I cannot imagine if their nba players were allowed to play at fiba asia cup and the qualifiers. They would destroy every opposition. Size, strength, and skills - that's australian basketball. No one can beat australia in asia, not iran, not china, not korea, not philippines, not even tall blacks. The only ones that can truly beat australia are teams from europe and maybe the quality teams from americas (usa, canada, and argentina).

Roofman
01-23-2018, 06:16 AM
To Ja.he

I wish that Nathan Jawai and Cameron Bairstow were also included, but both are injured, and you will see NBA players in the June window. I will say that Australia is obviously a level above Asian team atm even with an all-home based line up, and will continue to get better. With that said, I look at the developments in Japan, the Philippines, Iran and other countries in Asia and I can't see why these countries won't be competitive with Australia and other world level teams in the longer term. I really hope teams like the Philis and co can lift their game to improve your prospects, while also lifting Australia's prospects. I'm sure you want the same thing.

ja.he
01-23-2018, 06:38 AM
To Ja.he

I wish that Nathan Jawai and Cameron Bairstow were also included, but both are injured, and you will see NBA players in the June window. I will say that Australia is obviously a level above Asian team atm even with an all-home based line up, and will continue to get better. With that said, I look at the developments in Japan, the Philippines, Iran and other countries in Asia and I can't see why these countries won't be competitive with Australia and other world level teams in the longer term. I really hope teams like the Philis and co can lift their game to improve your prospects, while also lifting Australia's prospects. I'm sure you want the same thing.

We are inches away from surpassing iran. We beat china and consistently japan and taiwan but has difficulty against korea. So it's really a long way to go. My country's reluctance to welcome foreign coaches is not helping. Our domestic league is running the whole year having 3 short tournaments. We are also restricting our selection of foreign reinforcements for our league (6'9" or shorter in the 2nd conference, 6'5" or shorter in the last conference). We are also divided about foreign atheletes in college basketball. Not to mention the internal fights between two biggest conglomerates that own half of the teams in the league (6 of 12 teams). These are the things that holds back philippines from becoming fully competitive in international competitions.

CKR13
01-25-2018, 11:05 PM
Korea names its 12 man lineup for 2nd window of the Asian Qualifiers:
http://www.trendingpod.com/entertainment/sports/korea-names-national-team-fiba-wc-second-window/

Ricardo Ratliffe is included. Korea is missing Kim Sun-Hyung and Lee Seung-Hyun due to injuries. Kim Jong-Kyu was given medical clearance to play by his club, LG.

ja.he
01-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Korea names its 12 man lineup for 2nd window of the Asian Qualifiers:
http://www.trendingpod.com/entertainment/sports/korea-names-national-team-fiba-wc-second-window/

Ricardo Ratliffe is included. Korea is missing Kim Sun-Hyung and Lee Seung-Hyun due to injuries. Kim Jong-Kyu was given medical clearance to play by his club, LG.

Will ricardo ratliffe adopt a korean name? As far as i know, naturalized koreans are required to adopt korean names.

CKR13
01-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Will ricardo ratliffe adopt a korean name? As far as i know, naturalized koreans are required to adopt korean names.

"라건아" Lageon-A aka Laguna

CKR13
02-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Sam Young is the new naturalized player for Lebanon in the second window of the Asian Qualifiers.
https://twitter.com/FLBB_OFFICIAL/status/958949831929679876

ja.he
02-01-2018, 07:01 AM
Sam Young is the new naturalized player for Lebanon in the second window of the Asian Qualifiers.
https://twitter.com/FLBB_OFFICIAL/status/958949831929679876

That's their third np change. What's the matter with lebanon? It seems to me that middle east countries could grant citizenships to foreigners at will as against philippines and east asian countries. Hence, davis is still with taiwan, gilas sticks with blatche and they released after 5 years of playing and brown still with japan.

Middle east teams deserve more bashing than us east asians. Their np's do really look like mercenaries.

sinobball
02-02-2018, 03:50 AM
That's their third np change. What's the matter with lebanon? It seems to me that middle east countries could grant citizenships to foreigners at will as against philippines and east asian countries. Hence, davis is still with taiwan, gilas sticks with blatche and they released after 5 years of playing and brown still with japan.

Middle east teams deserve more bashing than us east asians. Their np's do really look like mercenaries.

Blatche doesn't look like a mercenary? How long did he stay in the Philippines before he became a citizen?

BTW I hate Blatche with a passion, and it has nothing to do with the Philippines. This guy should be in the NBA still except he has no professionalism whatsoever. This season he became the first CBA player to be put on maternity leave for getting pregnant in mid-season, it's truly mind-boggling. Good luck sticking with him.

ja.he
02-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Blatche doesn't look like a mercenary? How long did he stay in the Philippines before he became a citizen?

BTW I hate Blatche with a passion, and it has nothing to do with the Philippines. This guy should be in the NBA still except he has no professionalism whatsoever. This season he became the first CBA player to be put on maternity leave for getting pregnant in mid-season, it's truly mind-boggling. Good luck sticking with him.

But we don't give the citizenship that easy. Even our congress is reluctant granting citizenship to foreigner that fast. If you ask me, i really don't like blatche naturalization since he never set foot here prior to his naturalization unlike douthit who spent much time staying here. The reason why we stick with blatche is that, as i said earlier, our congress is too reluctant on granting citizenship with foreigners. So if our federation decides to look for another reinforcement, they will likely require that player to reside and play in pba just like ratcliffe in korea. The congress requires the federation to think reasonably in naturalizing foreigner. If you know philippine citizenship laws as well as politics work, you will understand what i am talking about.

CKR13
02-04-2018, 11:57 PM
Chinese Taipei names 24 man player pool:

Chang Po-Sheng
Chang Tsung-Hsien
Chen Kuan-Chuan
Chen Ying-Chun
Chiang Yu-An
Chou Po-Chen
Chou Po-Hsun
Chou Yi-Hsiang
Quincy Davis
Hu Long-Mao
Huang Tsung-Han
Hung Chih-Shan
Kuo Shao-Chieh
Lee Kai-Yan
Lee Te-Wei
Lin Chih-Wei
Liu Cheng
Lu Cheng-Ju
Johan Morrison
Su I-Chieh
Tsai Wen-Cheng
Tseng Wen-Ting
Yang Chin-Min
Yu Huan-Ya

CKR13
02-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Japan narrows down its pool to 14 players:

Ira Brown
Atsuya Ota
Joji Takeuchi
Takatoshi Furukawa
Ryoma Hashimoto
Ryusei Shinoyama
Naoto Tsuji
Makoto Hiejima
Naoki Uto
Nagayoshi Yuya
Daiki Tanaka
Takayuki Nishikawa
Tenketsu Harimoto
Yuki Togashi
Yudai Baba
Gen Hiraiwa
Hyu Watanabe
Chikara Tanaka

CKR13
02-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Australia Asia Qualifiers Window 2 Squad:

Angus Brandt
Jason Cadee
Mitch Creek
Cameron Gliddon
Chris Goulding
Matt Hodgson
Nick Kay
Daniel Kickert
Kevin Lisch
Mitch McCarron
Nathan Sobey
Jesse Wagstaff

ja.he
02-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Australia Asia Qualifiers Window 2 Squad:

Angus Brandt
Jason Cadee
Mitch Creek
Cameron Gliddon
Chris Goulding
Matt Hodgson
Nick Kay
Daniel Kickert
Kevin Lisch
Mitch McCarron
Nathan Sobey
Jesse Wagstaff

So boomers-nbl selection is playing small ball.

JAMSKIE
02-07-2018, 06:25 AM
But we don't give the citizenship that easy. Even our congress is reluctant granting citizenship to foreigner that fast.

Countries have "varying" rules/laws in granting citizenship to foreigners. It just so happened that the Lebanese government has the more lax or less stricter rules as compared to other countries like say Korea, Japan or the Philippines.

All I can say is that its non of our business as Filipinos to question why a certain country's law/rules in granting naturalized citizenship on foreigners is so lax that it can grant naturalization citizenship to someone "overnight". We can't do anything about it since such practice doesn't violate FIBA rules/laws.

Yes, you're right, Lebanon has really granted naturalization citizenship on a No. of foreign players through the years. In the last 2 years alone, I could count around 5 foreign players already (Jasmond Youngblood, Geron Johnson,Norvel Pelle, Ater Majok & Sam Young) being converted into naturalized Lebanese citizens.

BTW, it looks to me that Sam Young's naturalization is for a short term goal for the Lebanese considering that Young isn't that young anymore as he is already 32. In a very few years, he won't be on his peak anymore.

mohsena2631
02-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Iran squad for the 2nd window

new coach, new team, well not really "new", just different

PG: Aren Davoudi, Sajjad Mashayekhi, Farid Aslani
SG: Saeid Davarpanah, Navid Rezaeifar
SF: Samad Nikkhah Bahrami, Mohammad Jamshidi
PF: Arsalan Kazemi, Oshin Sahakian, Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Navid Niktash
C: Hamed Haddadi, Asghar Kardoust, Rouzbeh Arghavan, Mohammad Mirzaei

Coach: Mehran Shahintab

each way
02-22-2018, 06:44 AM
How can Australian players play when they have their playoffs going on at the moment?

mangangalakal
02-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Their league took a break.

sinobball
02-22-2018, 02:30 PM
Depleted CT beats Japan by 1 on Japanese soil, led by Quincy Davis (expected), Chen Ying-chun (expected) and Hu Long-mao (unexpected). Hu Long-mao does play in the CBA but never received much playing time under Coach Chou, be it in the Asia Cup or in the first window. Receiving his first start he poured in 15 points 5 rebounds in 17 minutes, including 10pts in the 4th quarter.

The players CT is missing: Liu Cheng (CBA), Lin Chih-chieh (CBA), Tseng Wen-ting (CBA), Yang Chin-min (CBA), Tien Lei (CBA), Lee Hsueh-lin (CBA), Chou Po-chen (starter in first window, injured), Chiang Yu-an (starter in first window, injured), Huang Cheng (played great vs. Philippines, injured), Hung Chih-shan (veteran guard, injured), Lu Cheng-ju (veteran shooter, injured), Chang Tsung-hsien (explosive scorer, injured), Tsai Wen-cheng (veteran swingman, injured). Some players are too old (Lee, Lin) but many others will certainly become available come July.

Japan is also missing their NCAA stars and some main guys like Yuki Togashi, Yudai Baba, and Kosuke Takeuchi, but they don't look like they deserve to field a team in 2020, even if they naturalize a much better African American player.

sinobball
02-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Is Iraq still so unstable that they can't play a game at home? Looks like there are only 100 people at the game in Tehran, and that includes the players.

Where is Kevin Galloway? This Mayfield guy doesn't look nearly as good.

mohsena2631
02-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Is Iraq still so unstable that they can't play a game at home? Looks like there are only 100 people at the game in Tehran, and that includes the players.

Where is Kevin Galloway? This Mayfield guy doesn't look nearly as good.

well Mayfield had a great game against Iran in Jordan.

Iraq is not safe yet, at least they can't convince the visiting teams to go there and play. in past they used to host few tournaments in Iraqi Kurdistan in Arbil which is relatively safe but now they want a separate country ... which leaves no option for Iraq to host games at home.

so what do you think about China-NZ game ? who is the favorite ? Does China even take this qualifiers seriously ?

mohsena2631
02-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Beating Kazakhstan by 21 is an OK result but honestly they had no import and played without injured Ponomarev. I have to say that wasn't a good game for Iran. but somehow not a surprise since they didn't play together for a while. they got a bit better throughout the game but the offense was really bad. they missed so many open shots. Kazakhstan on other hand shot the ball much better but they had so many turnovers against Iran's tough defense , things could be different if they had an American point guard to handle the ball.

I expect a much better game in Tehran vs Iraq. I know how much they want to win that game, and not just winning but winning by a huge margin. they still can't forget that loss in Jordan. (which is ironically Iraq's only win so far !)

sinobball
02-22-2018, 06:25 PM
well Mayfield had a great game against Iran in Jordan.

Iraq is not safe yet, at least they can't convince the visiting teams to go there and play. in past they used to hose few tournaments in Iraqi Kurdistan in Arbil which is relatively safe but now they want a separate country ... which leaves no option for Iraq to host games at home.

so what do you think about China-NZ game ? who is the favorite ? Does China even take this qualifiers seriously ?

Oh I thought it was Galloway in November. From what I saw today Mayfield is very unselfish (made some good passes) but has questionable shot selection. Doesn't appear very energetic either, maybe he has some injuries (he got injured late in the game). Ended the game with a team-high 15 points, but on 4/17 shooting. This group is interesting....

For the CN-NZ game I'm too sure who the favorite is. It's obviously not China's best team (probably for NZ as well) but Yi Jianlian will play so I would say it's serious. Coach Du picked quite a few shooters, probably taking notes from the Korean win in Wellington. New Zealand actually arrived in China before the Chinese team began its first practice, because of the Chinese New Year celebrations (beginning Feb. 16). Without knowing too much about NZL I would say they are the slight favorite because the Chinese team is essentially the Asian Cup team + Yi Jianlian. Compared to the "Red" team which beat Korea, this "Blue" team has too few players who can handle the ball and I'm not sure how useful they are against more physical defenders.

CKR13
02-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Japan is regressing and most likely they'll count on Yuta Watanabe and Rui Hachimura to turn things around. Even with the rotation of Brown, J. Takeuchi, Ota and Nagayoshi, that team last night has practically no inside presence. Furukawa is not good with anything else if his shot is not falling and with Uto being a decent all-around guard minus consistent offense, Shinoyama and Ryoma Hashimoto can give way to a better winger.

I don't think Avi nor Hyu will impact Japan's front-court by the 3rd window.

ja.he
02-23-2018, 12:25 AM
Japan is regressing and most likely they'll count on Yuta Watanabe and Rui Hachimura to turn things around. Even with the rotation of Brown, J. Takeuchi, Ota and Nagayoshi, that team last night has practically no inside presence. Furukawa is not good with anything else if his shot is not falling and with Uto being a decent all-around guard minus consistent offense, Shinoyama and Ryoma Hashimoto can give way to a better winger.

I don't think Avi nor Hyu will impact Japan's front-court by the 3rd window.

What do you are the chances of both gilas and japan in their sunday's match?

CKR13
02-23-2018, 12:50 AM
What do you are the chances of both gilas and japan in their sunday's match?

Since PHI beat JPN in Tokyo and now the series shifts in Manila, I'd say PHI is in the driver's seat to finish up the 2nd window with a 1-1 record. Besides, since when was the last time JPN actually beat the Philippines in FIBA Asia? But best not to be over-confident as they say.

sime0n
02-23-2018, 02:22 AM
Depleted CT beats Japan by 1 on Japanese soil, led by Quincy Davis (expected), Chen Ying-chun (expected) and Hu Long-mao (unexpected). Hu Long-mao does play in the CBA but never received much playing time under Coach Chou, be it in the Asia Cup or in the first window. Receiving his first start he poured in 15 points 5 rebounds in 17 minutes, including 10pts in the 4th quarter.

The players CT is missing: Liu Cheng (CBA), Lin Chih-chieh (CBA), Tseng Wen-ting (CBA), Yang Chin-min (CBA), Tien Lei (CBA), Lee Hsueh-lin (CBA), Chou Po-chen (starter in first window, injured), Chiang Yu-an (starter in first window, injured), Huang Cheng (played great vs. Philippines, injured), Hung Chih-shan (veteran guard, injured), Lu Cheng-ju (veteran shooter, injured), Chang Tsung-hsien (explosive scorer, injured), Tsai Wen-cheng (veteran swingman, injured). Some players are too old (Lee, Lin) but many others will certainly become available come July.

Japan is also missing their NCAA stars and some main guys like Yuki Togashi, Yudai Baba, and Kosuke Takeuchi, but they don't look like they deserve to field a team in 2020, even if they naturalize a much better African American player.

Would love to see Jeremy and Joseph Lin suit up together for Taiwan. Maybe they could get a special exclusion to be able to exceed the one naturalized player rule.

Secretary General shall take into account the following criteria:
- the number of years during which the player has lived in the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play;
- the number of seasons during which the player has participated in domestic competitions in the country of the national team for which he wishes to play;
- any other criteria capable of establishing a significant link between the player and the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play.

I know Jordan Clarkson didnít get the exception for the Philippines but Joseph Lin playing in SBL maybe could.

sinobball
02-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Since PHI beat JPN in Tokyo and now the series shifts in Manila, I'd say PHI is in the driver's seat to finish up the 2nd window with a 1-1 record. Besides, since when was the last time JPN actually beat the Philippines in FIBA Asia? But best not to be over-confident as they say.
Naoto Tsuji is one heck of a shooter and to some extent Makoto Hiejima as well, but Japan just looks like a streetball or 3x3 team without the fancy moves. Like you said the reason appears to be lack of inside presence but I'm not impressed with their defense as well, which is kind of surprising because their women's team (also vertically challenged) plays really great defense. Some Japanese players like Ryusei Shinoyama move quickly on defense so there's clearly potential, but overall there's no defensive system or coordination; in particular I don't understand why the coach didn't collapse the defense when they obviously don't have a big man capable of protecting the paint.

ja.he
02-23-2018, 06:45 AM
Naoto Tsuji is one heck of a shooter and to some extent Makoto Hiejima as well, but Japan just looks like a streetball or 3x3 team without the fancy moves. Like you said the reason appears to be lack of inside presence but I'm not impressed with their defense as well, which is kind of surprising because their women's team (also vertically challenged) plays really great defense. Some Japanese players like Ryusei Shinoyama move quickly on defense so there's clearly potential, but overall there's no defensive system or coordination; in particular I don't understand why the coach didn't collapse the defense when they obviously don't have a big man capable of protecting the paint.

if that's the case, the phi-jpn game in sunday will be chaotic. we looked sluggish and disorganized in the second half against australia yesterday.

sinobball
02-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Australia "B" is a great defensive team, at least for Asia. I don't think their players are that talented as far as athleticism or skills go, but their defense, endurance, physicality and nose for rebounds and loose balls set them apart from Asia.

In the Asia Cup, China Blue also played them very close for 2.5 quarters and then fell apart, just like the Philippines. I think a main challenge for Asia is to get used to their physicality; players who can play 40 minutes against skinny Asians get too gassed after 10 minutes vs. Aussies. At the same time, they still full-court press you until the very end like they don't get tired. Under these circumstances it'll be impossible to not appear sluggish and disorganized. There's no good solution aside from playing them more and getting more experience and confidence.

sinobball
02-23-2018, 10:44 AM
South Korea with naturalized player Ratliff trailing all-local Hong Kong 17-18......

CKR13
02-23-2018, 11:31 AM
I am liking the fight that HK is putting up. #7 Lee outscoring the KBL's highest paid player in Lee Jung-Hyun and the perennial MVP front-runner in Doo.

sinobball
02-23-2018, 12:27 PM
China leads NZL by 1 at half. I'm not happy. Coach Du Feng is too conservative, he played Yi Jianlian and Guo Ailun almost nonstop, and Hu Jinqiu hasn't received any minute.

CKR13
02-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Zhou Peng is stepping up aside from Yi's one man show so far.

ja.he
02-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Veteran Zhou Peng is stepping up aside from Yi's one man show so far.

i'm sad china failed to pull a rug against tall blacks. they are really close but the last 3 mins spelled the difference starting with the unsportsmanlike foul from china.

sinobball
02-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Good road win by NZL, the Websters brothers were outstanding. Not unexpected for us, but the loss sucked. Even with a win this would be considered a Pyrrhic victory (37 points by Yi). What is the point of these games if China already qualified? Why can't the younger guys get minutes? And Guo Ailun was just plain terrible and still played 32 minutes. As I predicted, ball-handling proved to be a major issue against physical defenders. Guo is not 100% healthy but even if he were I don't consider him a true point guard, he's best off-the-bench as a 6th-man combo guard changing the tempo or breaking a stalemate.

The Asia Cup team already had back court troubles because the red team has China's best 3 playmakers: Zhao Jiwei, Zhao Rui, and Fang Shuo, and a very good point forward in Liu Zhixuan, plus a few young guards like Sun Minghui, Shi Yi etc. who can really handle the ball. Be that as it may, it's still baffling that, as I mentioned in the other thread, this blue team's backcourt is even weaker than the Asia Cup team. Du Feng removed Liu Xiaoyu and Zeng Lingxu, both decent point guards, and in their place only picked 1 guard: 30-year-old Luo Xudong, who never did anything in the CBA and bounced from team to team every year in his long career. Despite finishing with 0pts 5 fouls today in his NT debut, I still don't think Luo is terrible, but Du Feng should have picked another guard at least, since Yu Dehao is too mediocre in everything and Wu Qian doesn't handle the ball well.

CKR13
02-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Tall Blacks currently want Ratliffe to try and beat the defense one on one than give up a three. At times, take over mentality hurting Korea's ball-movement.

CKR13
04-24-2018, 01:33 AM
South Korea FIBA Asian Qualifiers 3rd Window Prelim Roster:
https://www.trendingpod.com/entertainment/sports/korea-names-16-players-preparation-3rd-window-fiba-asia-qualifiers/

Missing due to injuries are:

Oh Se-Keun
Yang Hee-Jong
Lee Jong-Hyun

Questionable due to injury rehab, post surgery:

Kim Jong-Kyu
Choi Bukyung

mojo13
06-22-2018, 10:45 PM
You'll be able to watch tonight's Canada vs. China friendly at http://canadabasketball.tv beginning at 7:30 PM PT.

Picek
06-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Japan recorded it's first win winning against Australia 79-78.
Australia trailed the entire game.

Dtown
06-29-2018, 02:05 PM

Shocking, I didn't even think to check the score. FIBA must be overjoyed as it shoots some life into Asia. Great for Japan as well since they still have to convince FIBA to let them in at the Olympics.

CHBB
06-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Good for Japan.

Was kind of shocked Korea beat China, too.

Mindozas
06-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Good for Japan.

I planned to bet on China, but found info that they'll play with their Red team, it is the one without all the main stars. So skipped it. Luckily so as they lost. Probably the info was right, too lazy to look for stats :)

mojo13
06-29-2018, 04:12 PM
I looked at the box score and didn't see many recognizable names. They are already qualified for the WC so they are just using this as a chance to develop players.

sinobball
06-29-2018, 05:38 PM
Good for Japan.

Japan's Nick Fazekas and Korea's Ricardo Ratliffe (Ra Gun-ah) both produced 25+11. Andray Blatche also had a double double today. These guys are Americans and don't have a drop of Asian blood. 25+11 in FIBA is like 30+15 in NBA.

CHBB
06-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Lol that stuff does crack me up. It's one thing when it's Pooh Jeter for Ukraine because that's only one player but some teams have multiple guys. Like Belarus had Maalik Wayns at one point and Devin Saddler at another. I mean come on.

mojo13
06-29-2018, 05:55 PM
Lol that stuff does crack me up. It's one thing when it's Pooh Jeter for Ukraine because that's only one player but some teams have multiple guys. Like Belarus had Maalik Wayns at one point and Devin Saddler at another. I mean come on.

How do they get away with that? One naturalized player per team right?

Or are you saying they have a stable of Americans to choose from depending on injuries, match-up etcs. Loads of countries do that and I think that is more to blame on the local domestic league import quotas.

Sort of makes sense to have someone ready if Blatche etc. can't play. There are very few countries that don't play this game - even Spain does this.

sinobball
06-29-2018, 05:59 PM

Or are you saying they have a stable of Americans to choose from depending on injuries, match-up etcs. Loads of countries do that and I think that is more to blame on the local domestic league import quotas.
I would guess it's the latter. Japan just a few months ago was using Ira Brown as their American import. From what I heard, they'll ditch the aging Fazekas soon for Landen Lucas.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to CKR13's twitter account?

Federoy
06-29-2018, 06:09 PM

Exactly what the qualifying process needed. The fear was that by having Australia and New Zealand join the Asian Zone, they would dominate...and for the most part, they have. This win proves that nothing is a given. Congrats to Japan.

Mindozas
06-29-2018, 06:18 PM
I would guess it's the latter. Japan just a few months ago was using Ira Brown as their American import. From what I heard, they'll ditch the aging Fazekas soon for Landen Lucas.

Exactly. You can have as many naturalized players as you want, but you can register only one per game. Some Balkan NTs probably could field whole team out of naturalized players alone :)

CHBB
06-29-2018, 06:20 PM

Sort of makes sense to have someone ready if Blatche etc. can't play. There are very few countries that don't play this game - even Spain does this. I'm saying it's ridiculous to have your country really only have a shot because of the American import you have on there. Both Wayns are Saddler are high level players. In the case of Ukraine with Jeter or Blatche with the Philippines, we at least know they have semi-strong teams without them.

You also can't compare it to Spain imo because both Mirotic and Ibaka played there professionally prior to the NBA and come from countries that don't make the World Cup or Olympics.

I really hope Japan doesn't have US imports at the Olympics. At least go down swinging with just your countrymen.

mohsena2631
06-29-2018, 11:28 PM
Iran had a terrible game in Qatar and our guys were just lucky to snatch the win at the end thanks to Kazemi's put back almost at the buzzer. with 12 pts down with less than 4 minutes to go and both Haddadi and Samad out of the court. that was almost a miracle to come back and win the game.

with the exception of last 4 minutes. I think Iran scored only "ONCE" from outside the paint the entire match and with less than 50% FT . this just says how bad they were today. Haddadi ripped his shirt apart (or at least tried to do that) out of anger but of course everybody was happy after the unexpected comeback.

I hope it was just one bad game. Kazakhstan on Monday most probably won't be a real test for them.

JAMSKIE
06-30-2018, 02:01 AM
Iran had a terrible game in Qatar and our guys were just lucky to snatch the win at the end thanks to Kazemi's put back almost at the buzzer. with 12 pts down with less than 4 minutes to go and both Haddadi and Samad out of the court. that was almost a miracle to come back and win the game.

with the exception of last 4 minutes. I think Iran scored only "ONCE" from outside the paint the entire match and with less than 50% FT . this just says how bad they were today. Haddadi ripped his shirt apart (or at least tried to do that) out of anger but of course everybody was happy after the unexpected comeback.

I hope it was just one bad game. Kazakhstan on Monday most probably won't be a real test for them.

How did Iran prepare for this 3rd window? How long did it prepare & were there tune-up games?

I was surprised that Iran almost fell to Qatar. I was expecting an easy win by Iran

mohsena2631
06-30-2018, 02:58 PM
How did Iran prepare for this 3rd window? How long did it prepare & were there tune-up games?

I was surprised that Iran almost fell to Qatar. I was expecting an easy win by Iran

They had enough preparations. 2-3 weeks if I'm not wrong. can't remember the details but they played two games in China and lost both (with some players like Haddadi missing) then they went to Serbia . beat some 2nd division teams and then played two games vs Serbia NT and lost both. 83-66 and 84-62

no excuse about this poor performance but Qatar had a better squad (comparing to what they had in Tehran) last night and they had a very good game

the_black_planet
06-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Japan's Nick Fazekas and Korea's Ricardo Ratliffe (Ra Gun-ah) both produced 25+11. Andray Blatche also had a double double today. These guys are Americans and don't have a drop of Asian blood. 25+11 in FIBA is like 30+15 in NBA.

But we have to mention as well Rui Hashimura's performance in Japan's win. Did anybody watch the game, how was he?

zik013
06-30-2018, 08:10 PM

Iran has to really thank Mirzaei, as he turned potential -2 into a +1 and a ball with his "acting" in a getting a unsportsmanlike foul called on him. Without that play, there would be no chance imho ...

JAMSKIE
07-01-2018, 02:59 AM
They had enough preparations. 2-3 weeks if I'm not wrong. can't remember the details but they played two games in China and lost both (with some players like Haddadi missing) then they went to Serbia . beat some 2nd division teams and then played two games vs Serbia NT and lost both. 83-66 and 84-62

no excuse about this poor performance but Qatar had a better squad (comparing to what they had in Tehran) last night and they had a very good game

So it wasn't a case of Iran just not having enough time of preparation or lacking in tune-up games. I think Iran just had an off-night against Qatar & maybe the team just underestimated Qatar knowing they routed the Qataris during their 1st game. I expect Iran to bounce back big vs. Kazakhstan. I expect Iran to win by at least 25 pts.

i_luv_japanese_girls
07-01-2018, 06:32 AM
Does anybody knows where I can watch/download the full game of Australia vs. Japan last june 28, 2018? in Youtube, only highlights exist and the highlights are very few. Hope somebody can provide links/torrents where I can download this game. Thanks.

CHBB
07-01-2018, 01:12 PM
I think that'd be pretty difficult. I've only ever come across links to watch it live. But good luck.

Levenspiel
07-02-2018, 04:08 PM
what the hell happened on the Philippines - Australia game? Any brief insights?

locdogjr
07-02-2018, 04:49 PM
So, Philippines and Australia had a brawl.

Here to ask, any chance Taiwan progresses now?

Mindozas
07-02-2018, 04:58 PM

You mean disqualification of NTs? No way. FIBA most likely will punish just the players involved

Shawshank
07-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Wow i lost respect for philipinos, act like some kind street gangsters , hitting and running away ...throwing chair from behind...i would disqualife entire team from this 2019 wc after such shamefull actions.They acted like wild animals and it wasnt like one angry person, but basically entire team act like animals...couldnt take the beating like men in basketball court by australians...fiba should punish both teams, but philipinos team i would ban after such shamefull actions atleast from this tournament.

juggler
07-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Wow i lost respect for philipinos, act like some kind street gangsters , hitting and running away ...throwing chair from behind...i would disqualife entire team from this 2019 wc after such shamefull actions.They acted like wild animals and it wasnt like one angry person, but basically entire team act like animals...couldnt take the beating like men in basketball court by australians...fiba should punish both teams, but philipinos team i would ban after such shamefull actions atleast from this tournament.

Goulding was taunting the Gilas bench all game and calling them dogs. So what do you expect?

DarknessFalls
07-02-2018, 06:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVUth1m5Dvs&t=451s

Picek
07-02-2018, 08:40 PM
And all of that at -31.
No sympathies for pillipinos whatsoever, they lost their temper and should be penalised heavily for it..

CHBB
07-02-2018, 08:44 PM
There were no innocents other than Sobey getting hit with a chair. Goulding acted like a punk and the dude who made the punk move in the first place was running away Melo style. If Goulding was really calling them dogs then he got what he deserved. Those Aussie commentators can spin it however they want but it was just a brawl, one that their players started. Everybody who got hit was an active participant other than #5 who was trying to break it up. Sobey shouldn't have gotten hit with a chair. That was a punk move for sure. But everything else was just two sides brawling. Reminds me of Greece vs Serbia.

Just a disgraceful display on both sides.

Imo Goulding should be suspended if he really said those things, #12 should be suspended for the elbow, and the guy who threw the chair should absolutely be suspended. Everything else was just people reacting in an ugly situation but those guys completely escalated it and took it way too far.

ja.he
07-02-2018, 11:19 PM
And all of that at -31.
No sympathies for pillipinos whatsoever, they lost their temper and should be penalised heavily for it..

Putting out advertisements, shoving 4 players during warm ups, insulting filipinos inside the homecourt. The australians instigated it from the get go. What you only is the video (live coverage). What you don't see is the behind the camera. The video is just the tip of an iceberg.

JGX
07-03-2018, 12:20 AM
Never seen Blatche show so much fire.

Mindozas
07-03-2018, 05:56 AM
Goulding was taunting the Gilas bench all game and calling them dogs. So what do you expect?

From a professional, I'd expect to act professionally... I mean both sides here. The picture we saw yesterday was more common to some teen league game, where kids can't get theirselves together and starts a fight after some trashtalking, but surely not where grown-up professional players are. There's no excuse at all, you can't start throwing elbows and punches after you were called by some name, you are on basketball court, not in the street

locdogjr
07-03-2018, 06:38 AM
FIBA system question for you guys.

Taiwan is now out of contention, but do they face any repercussions of being relegated? Where will this team go from here? Is it a waiting game for the next qualification or will they have games in the next windows to not go down?

JAMSKIE
07-03-2018, 07:06 AM
FIBA system question for you guys.

Taiwan is now out of contention, but do they face any repercussions of being relegated? Where will this team go from here? Is it a waiting game for the next qualification or will they have games in the next windows to not go down?

Bro, Taiwan is already eliminated, so no more games for them as far as the 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers is concerned. Taiwan, just like Iraq, India & Hongkong, has to wait for the 2023 FIBA World Cup qualifiers. Of course it still can participate in other FIBA tournaments, in particular the FIBA Asia Cup

JAMSKIE
07-03-2018, 07:09 AM
I read from someone's post that the games involving the eliminated teams won't be carried over in the 2nd round. Meaning, for instance the Philippines' 2 wins over Taiwan, which was eliminated, won't be carried over in the 2nd round, but: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/groups

Mindozas
07-03-2018, 07:15 AM
I read from someone's post that the games involving the eliminated teams won't be carried over in the 2nd round. Meaning, for instance the Philippines' 2 wins over Taiwan, which was eliminated, won't be carried over in the 2nd round, but: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/groups

Every game carries to next round, thats' one of rare things FIBA done right with this system

locdogjr
07-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Bro, Taiwan is already eliminated, so no more games for them as far as the 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers is concerned. Taiwan, just like Iraq, India & Hongkong, has to wait for the 2023 FIBA World Cup qualifiers. Of course it still can participate in other FIBA tournaments, in particular the FIBA Asia Cup

What I mean is that Taiwan is totally eliminated for 2019.

But, will the path to 2023 be harder because they did so poorly? Can they get relegated to a level below where they usually are?

Dtown
07-03-2018, 11:20 AM

But, will the path to 2023 be harder because they did so poorly? Can they get relegated to a level below where they usually are?

No, they just go back to qualifying for the 2021 Asia Cup. If they qualify for that then they'll be included in the next world cup qualifying.

The only Region that has something close to true Relegation is Europe, where they basically just have an extended qualifiers league.

Big Lebowski
07-04-2018, 01:17 AM
Classical philipino and classical behavior of those who think "we are the best" while they are just a pathetic poor team. And who cares if basketball is religion, there. They still remain a joke that playing a serious team are destroyed by 30 or 40. While they think "we are the beeeeeeest!".
Score when the animal pushed the Australian was -29. When you can't play, you shouldn't play.

sinobball
07-05-2018, 01:05 AM

Iraq was by far the best team that didn't advance. They beat both Iran and Kazakhstan, and had to play home games in Iran! They are possibly better than some teams in the Final 12.

India was a major disappointment and much weaker than expected, getting blown out basically every game. Turns out some of their main players were banned from the NT for... Snapchat pictures?
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/amjyot-palpreet-banned-for-gross-indiscipline/articleshow/64487305.cms

JAMSKIE
07-05-2018, 01:47 AM
Iraq was by far the best team that didn't advance. They beat both Iran and Kazakhstan, and had to play home games in Iran! They are possibly better than some teams in the Final 12.

India was a major disappointment and much weaker than expected, getting blown out basically every game. Turns out some of their main players were banned from the NT for... Snapchat pictures?
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/amjyot-palpreet-banned-for-gross-indiscipline/articleshow/64487305.cms

Agree with you on this. I was actually expecting Iraq to beat Qatar in the 3rd window(I think that Qatar-Iraq game in the 3rd window was a knock-out game). Iraq missed its two veteran centers in the 3rd window & I think it was crucial in that knock-out game vs. Qatar.

About India, I think the frontline tandem of Amritpal & Amjyot Singhs as well swingman Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, all of whom did not play in the 3rd window, would have increased India's chances of advancing to the 2nd round.

By the way sir, may I ask, why were the likes of Yi Jian Lian, Gou Ailun, Zhou Qi, Zhou Peng not with the Chinese team in the 3rd window? I understand that China doesn't really need to get as many wins because it is already qualified being the host of the 2019 FIBA World Cup, but winning is still about pride.

JAMSKIE
07-05-2018, 01:55 AM

Ah ok, I get it.

That I don't know about. But perhaps you're right, Taiwan might be relegated to a lower level from what it used to belong which would make it harder for them to qualify for the 2023 FIBA World Cup.

JAMSKIE
07-05-2018, 02:37 AM
Classical philipino and classical behavior of those who think "we are the best" while they are just a pathetic poor team. And who cares if basketball is religion, there. They still remain a joke that playing a serious team are destroyed by 30 or 40. While they think "we are the beeeeeeest!".
Score when the animal pushed the Australian was -29. When you can't play, you shouldn't play.

Bro, we Filipinos know where our National team stands as far as the game of basketball is concerned. Believe me, we don't have any illusions that our National team is among the elite teams in the world. We never have that kind of illusions. We know where Australia stands in world basketball. We know that Australia is among the elite basketball teams in the world & we have high respect for them for that.

But the incident that happened in that Australia-Philippines game was provoked by the Australians. Yes, I believe that what the Filipinos did was wrong. WE don't condone violence. But I believe that for every trouble, fight, melee, or rumble that transpires, it is the one who provokes it who should be considered the most guilty.

Even prior to that game there was really an incident which got the ire of our team. That was when the Australians removed the sticker logo of our national team's primary sponsor from the playing court without notifying or asking consent from our basketball federation or from the organizer of the game. Of course we interpret such act as clear show of disrespect. Then during the warm-up of both teams prior to the game, an Australian player confronted in a not so pleasant manner a Filipino player who was said to be crossing the mid-court line which is supposedly Australia's side of the court. I think that was just a petty matter for that Australian player to react that way. And remember, the Australians were playing in our homecourt. The Australians were visitors. Then during the game players of both teams were shoving, roughhousing, & were physical at each other, which I think its just natural for basketball. We Filipinos can take the physicality of the game since we ourselves play physical. But I think what our players & the entire Phi. team could not take was the rampant trashtalking and racial invectives hurled by that Australian player named Chris Goulding. And all of these happening on our own soil.

Our players can stomach the physicality of the game but we Filipinos don't take racial invectives lightly. Definitely not on our house. Lets be realistic, almost all of us are very territorial. We hate it very much being bullied right in our own house. That is a human tendency.

You see, these Australians are well known racists & have some superiority complex in them. Perhaps they think that they can get away with their unpleasant behavior & antics in a third world country like the Philippines. They think they can get away with their boorish behavior because they belong to a superior race. Now they know they cannot. Now they realize that they can't just bully someone on his own house & expect that poor guy to do nothing.

Not in our house bro.

sinobball
07-05-2018, 02:56 AM
By the way sir, may I ask, why were the likes of Yi Jian Lian, Gou Ailun, Zhou Qi, Zhou Peng not with the Chinese team in the 3rd window? I understand that China doesn't really need to get as many wins because it is already qualified being the host of the 2019 FIBA World Cup, but winning is still about pride.
Zhou Qi is in the U.S. getting ready for the summer league and most likely won't play in any games in Asia until 2019 Worlds. The others are on the Blue Team and will play in the 4th window. After that window it will be the "A" team minus Zhou Qi. The Blue Team has bigger names but I think the Red Team is the better team. It doesn't really matter though. I'm confident China will finish in the top 7 and qualify like a non-host team.

JAMSKIE
07-05-2018, 03:58 AM
Zhou Qi is in the U.S. getting ready for the summer league and most likely won't play in any games in Asia until 2019 Worlds. The others are on the Blue Team and will play in the 4th window. After that window it will be the "A" team minus Zhou Qi. The Blue Team has bigger names but I think the Red Team is the better team. It doesn't really matter though. I'm confident China will finish in the top 7 and qualify like a non-host team.

U mean a China team selecting the best players from the Red & Blue teams?

So China (combination of players from Blue & Red teams) will use the 5th & 6th window as somewhat a tune-up for the World Cup

mavrick_h
07-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Hey everyone,

Do you guys know where I can find full games of the qualifiers?

Thanks

CHBB
07-06-2018, 04:22 PM

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/amjyot-palpreet-banned-for-gross-indiscipline/articleshow/64487305.cms I was pretty shocked by just how terrible India was given the NBA's making them a focus.

And definitely surprised by how good Iraq was. They really showed something.

JAMSKIE
07-07-2018, 01:50 AM
Hey everyone,

Do you guys know where I can find full games of the qualifiers?

Thanks

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers

locdogjr
07-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Bro, we Filipinos know where our National team stands as far as the game of basketball is concerned. Believe me, we don't have any illusions that our National team is among the elite teams in the world. We never have that kind of illusions. We know where Australia stands in world basketball. We know that Australia is among the elite basketball teams in the world & we have high respect for them for that.

But the incident that happened in that Australia-Philippines game was provoked by the Australians. Yes, I believe that what the Filipinos did was wrong. WE don't condone violence. But I believe that for every trouble, fight, melee, or rumble that transpires, it is the one who provokes it who should be considered the most guilty.

Even prior to that game there was really an incident which got the ire of our team. That was when the Australians removed the sticker logo of our national team's primary sponsor from the playing court without notifying or asking consent from our basketball federation or from the organizer of the game. Of course we interpret such act as clear show of disrespect. Then during the warm-up of both teams prior to the game, an Australian player confronted in a not so pleasant manner a Filipino player who was said to be crossing the mid-court line which is supposedly Australia's side of the court. I think that was just a petty matter for that Australian player to react that way. And remember, the Australians were playing in our homecourt. The Australians were visitors. Then during the game players of both teams were shoving, roughhousing, & were physical at each other, which I think its just natural for basketball. We Filipinos can take the physicality of the game since we ourselves play physical. But I think what our players & the entire Phi. team could not take was the rampant trashtalking and racial invectives hurled by that Australian player named Chris Goulding. And all of these happening on our own soil.

Our players can stomach the physicality of the game but we Filipinos don't take racial invectives lightly. Definitely not on our house. Lets be realistic, almost all of us are very territorial. We hate it very much being bullied right in our own house. That is a human tendency.

You see, these Australians are well known racists & have some superiority complex in them. Perhaps they think that they can get away with their unpleasant behavior & antics in a third world country like the Philippines. They think they can get away with their boorish behavior because they belong to a superior race. Now they know they cannot. Now they realize that they can't just bully someone on his own house & expect that poor guy to do nothing.

Not in our house bro.

One of the best breakdowns I have heard of the situation.

Australian basketball twitter has been.....eye opening? Disappointing? I follow quite a few people from there and it is shocking the tone and rhetoric being spewed.

JAMSKIE
07-09-2018, 01:23 AM
One of the best breakdowns I have heard of the situation.

Australian basketball twitter has been.....eye opening? Disappointing? I follow quite a few people from there and it is shocking the tone and rhetoric being spewed.

Something which the Australians should learn from this ugly incident:Behave when you are playing in a foreign soil.

Its an unwritten rule observed by all races all over the world.

It would be better that the Australians realize that they could not behave like demigods in a foreign country even if they belong to a 1st world country.

ak1105
07-10-2018, 05:41 PM

who cares about your respect. the way you wrote your post, it seems you don't know the whole story and just blah blah some words. well if you think our players acted like animals, you should have think first (if you do think) why our team acted that way. what did the australians have done that merit our anger. I would not explain it to you since you already called us animals. so just sucked your respect to your ass, we don't need it anyway.

ak1105
07-10-2018, 05:47 PM
And all of that at -31.

we already lost by 31 at that point, so what is the point of australian player (goulding) taunting the player, and another australian player (kickert) elbowing someone on a dead ball situation. when a team is already down, don't give them a reason to start a brawl. what the australian did, was not only have given the Philippine team a reason to start a brawl, the australian started the brawl. its not that hard to understand.

ak1105
07-10-2018, 05:54 PM

yeah, shut up. who cares if your avatar is big lebowski. you should think before you type and not act like a tough guy where in fact from your post you are just a softie. when you are not a real tough guy, you shouldn't act one.

Big Lebowski
07-11-2018, 05:16 AM
[...]

Not in our house bro.
One of the best posts ever. Now situation is clear and I realized I wrote tons of bullshits. I apologize for this.

Your words are confirmed by... Chris Goulding's words few days after the game. He said, showing to be a total idiot, that FIBA should do something to "protect Australian team when playing in Kazakhstan, Iran and Qatar, where safety might be at risk".
He's also so idiot to have said that "Australia should revoke the decision to play with Asian teams". He doesn't even know that Australia still belongs to FIBA Oceania and the decision to put together Asia and Oceania has made by FIBA, not by Australian Federation.
Maybe he's so idiot and got confused because Australian football team became member of Asian Confederation.

sinobball
07-11-2018, 05:42 PM
He said, showing to be a total idiot, that FIBA should do something to "protect Australian team when playing in Kazakhstan, Iran and Qatar, where safety might be at risk".
It's laughable, but this in my opinion has more to do with the Australian media, how they only report negative news from non-Anglophone countries.

Chris Goulding also had several altercations with Chinese players a few weeks before this brawl when Australia (called NBL All-Australian Squad) traveled to China. In one case, he appeared to want to smash the ball on a Chinese player's head dodgeball-style but withdrew and smiled when refs stopped him. Ultimately, whether he's an idiot or racist matters very little: violence in basketball shouldn't be condoned, and Asian teams need to be more mature playing against Australia's physical style (NZL also plays a little rough). I for one welcome the Oceanian teams to Asia, racist or not they elevate the competition, and Asian teams must find ways to defeat them on the court - because no matter how many punches you throw you will always be disrespected if you lose to their "B" squad time and time again, especially by large margins.

JAMSKIE
07-12-2018, 06:08 AM
One of the best posts ever. Now situation is clear and I realized I wrote tons of bullshits. I apologize for this.

Your words are confirmed by... Chris Goulding's words few days after the game. He said, showing to be a total idiot, that FIBA should do something to "protect Australian team when playing in Kazakhstan, Iran and Qatar, where safety might be at risk".
He's also so idiot to have said that "Australia should revoke the decision to play with Asian teams". He doesn't even know that Australia still belongs to FIBA Oceania and the decision to put together Asia and Oceania has made by FIBA, not by Australian Federation.
Maybe he's so idiot and got confused because Australian football team became member of Asian Confederation.

These only confirms Goulding's arrogance & superiority complex. This idiot is so full of himself.

I dare Goulding to do exactly what he has done against Filipino players when his team plays in Tehran, Iran. I dare him to utter racial slurs against the Iranians & roughhouse the Iranians. Lets see if he can come out of Iran alive.

donmar
07-17-2018, 03:07 AM
This might sound crazy but maybe it's time to introduce "Mic'Up" in FIBA games like what they do in the NBA.

Mark Green
07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Hi, I would like to recommend one useful resource where there is a large live coverage of all sports events around the world: results, statistics, standards and tournament grids for events around the world. There you can see the statistics on basketball follow https://777score.nz/basketball

JAMSKIE
07-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Hi, I would like to recommend one useful resource where there is a large live coverage of all sports events around the world: results, statistics, standards and tournament grids for events around the world. There you can see the statistics on basketball follow https://777score.nz/basketball

Thank U very much bro. The source you provided is very helpful.

sinobball
07-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Suspensions meted out: http://www.espn.com/basketball/gilas/story/_/id/24002291/fiba-hands-sanctions-gilas-boomers-brawl

From the PHI forum:
No penalty for Maliksi? Hahaha.

He threw like a hundred punches at Goulding and he got off clean.

THE_GOAT
09-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Very excited this coming windows!

mohsena2631
09-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Rumors here say that Samad Nikkhah will announce retirement from the NT after this Philippines game today in the same way his friend Sahakian did. even though he didn't confirm that but it came from the fact he is not traveling to Japan with the team.

I think we are going to miss Mashhoun era ! the current federation looks amateur and much worse. they don't even bother to announce a list or something. they just invite players to the camp by SMS or phone calls !!!! so nobody here knows who is going to play today ! we just know Haddadi is seriously injured. (and unlikely to play) and also that players are devastated after the Asian Games heavy defeat. I really don't think this team in current situation and with this coach stands a chance in Japan . which makes today's game very important to win at home.

THE_GOAT
09-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Bahrami will be a big loss to Iran if true, I just hope he won't go beastmode later against Philippines hehe

reamily
09-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Its a pity that Iran lost the asian games...the gane is literally in their hands but lack of conditioning or prep was key...well see later

mohsena2631
09-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Its a pity that Iran lost the asian games...the gane is literally in their hands but lack of conditioning or prep was key...well see later

I don't want to talk much about the AG, this brings bad memories , no doubt they lost to the better team (unlike 2010 and 2014) but as you said the game was in their hands until the stupid coach fell too relaxed and decided to bench all 5 starters for couple of minutes and China cut Iran's 16 pts lead to just 4 ! and since then China shot the lights out. our coach just gifted them the momentum.

AG was very important for some of these players, that was the only way for some of them (specially younger players) to avoid military service. (there is the same rule in Iran as Korea about military service) and for players like Samad and Haddadi that was their last chance to win the only title they never won. I know they wanted this badly. and btw this is most probably the last time we see Shahintab as the coach.

reamily
09-13-2018, 11:26 AM
I don't want to talk much about the AG, this brings bad memories , no doubt they lost to the better team (unlike 2010 and 2014) but as you said the game was in their hands until the stupid coach fell too relaxed and decided to bench all 5 starters for couple of minutes and China cut Iran's 16 pts lead to just 4 ! and since then China shot the lights out. our coach just gifted them the momentum.

AG was very important for some of these players, that was the only way for some of them (specially younger players) to avoid military service. (there is the same rule in Iran as Korea about military service) and for players like Samad and Haddadi that was their last chance to win the only title they never won. I know they wanted this badly. and btw this is most probably the last time we see Shahintab as the coach.

Too bad no one from Iran basketball players got excempted from military service..

sinobball
09-13-2018, 04:52 PM
This is already the second round, and Australia won by 52 on the road over Qatar, New Zealand won by 41 on the road over Syria. Isn't Australia sending a "C" team now? Come on Asia!

mohsena2631
09-13-2018, 08:32 PM
SNB didn't kiss anybody for goodbye or anything like that ! he is not retired at least for now. still he is not going to Japan with the team. also Haddadi needs 3 weeks rest. he most probably won't go to Japan either (even if he goes he will be just a tourist and won't play)

today all big guys Arghavan, Mirzaei, Hassanzadeh fouled out ! and Hamed came to play one minute (even though it wasn't necessary with 10pts lead)

coach Shahintab was pissed off after the Game, he wanted to use this guy Geramipour but he can't enter Iran apparently for some stupid reasons , actually if he enters he can't leave Iran because of military service issue. they are working on a solution for him (now he is 26 and that can be solved by paying a bit) but until that, they still hope to have him in Japan.

I think the only good thing about today was the win, otherwise half-empty stadium, poor play, etc.

sinobball
09-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Congratulations to Lebanon. Both teams played hard, but Lebanon went after rebounds a little harder.

This is the end of China Blue. Now Li Nan is assured the 2019 NT head coach.

lebanese NT
09-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Congratulations to Lebanon. Both teams played hard, but Lebanon went after rebounds a little harder.

This is the end of China Blue. Now Li Nan is assured the 2019 NT head coach.

It looks like China havent found its identity yet. Lebanon deserved to win while missing 4 key players due to injuries.

sinobball
09-14-2018, 12:03 AM
It looks like China havent found its identity yet. Lebanon deserved to win while missing 4 key players due to injuries.
Who are they? I know Arakji is one of them.

Also, is this Lebanon's first ever win against China? I can't remember.

ja.he
09-14-2018, 01:05 AM
SNB didn't kiss anybody for goodbye or anything like that ! he is not retired at least for now. still he is not going to Japan with the team. also Haddadi needs 3 weeks rest. he most probably won't go to Japan either (even if he goes he will be just a tourist and won't play)

today all big guys Arghavan, Mirzaei, Hassanzadeh fouled out ! and Hamed came to play one minute (even though it wasn't necessary with 10pts lead)

coach Shahintab was pissed off after the Game, he wanted to use this guy Geramipour but he can't enter Iran apparently for some stupid reasons , actually if he enters he can't leave Iran because of military service issue. they are working on a solution for him (now he is 26 and that can be solved by paying a bit) but until that, they still hope to have him in Japan.

I think the only good thing about today was the win, otherwise half-empty stadium, poor play, etc.

but we can’t capitalized your team’s mistakes. our team has chemistry issues since it was assembled 10 days before this game. only half of those players from asian games were picked up for iran’s match. i say we missed castro, romeo and fajardo badly. philippine hands were also tied since fiba is closely looking at the team. that basketbrawl really affects philippine campaign in the world cup.

lebanese NT
09-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Who are they? I know Arakji is one of them.

Also, is this Lebanon's first ever win against China? I can't remember.

We were missing 4 players : wael arakji , jean abedelnour and ali mezher due to injury and Bassel Bawji due to sickness.
This is the 2nd time Lebanon win over china. The 1st time was over China B team but cant remember the year

reamily
09-14-2018, 05:24 AM
mohsena you nean aaron geramipoor?

http://competiciones.feb.es/estadisticas/Jugador.aspx?i=733268&c=2094714&med=0

will he be classified as a normal player for fiba.. i think iran can talk to our nsa so that we can have joint appeal..

mohsena2631
09-14-2018, 08:53 AM
mohsena you nean aaron geramipoor?

http://competiciones.feb.es/estadisticas/Jugador.aspx?i=733268&c=2094714&med=0

will he be classified as a normal player for fiba.. i think iran can talk to our nsa so that we can have joint appeal..

Yes him

even if he was not a normal player , that's no problem since Iran has no naturalized player

but I think I didn't explain it well, our coach was pissed off about the rules in Iran, not FIBA. Geramipour played half a season in Iranian league and he was good enough to draw attention. but he had to leave quickly to not get trapped in Iran. like any other Iranian individual he has to serve two years in military service ! rules in Iran are not that strict about those who born and raised outside of Iran. they have to wait till they became 26 then they can pay for their military service. Geramipour is 26 now and our coach was expecting a quick solution for him but he was angry because in other sports (specially football) they solve such problems in a day while in basketball nobody cares. Geramipour still can play for them when they play outside of Iran but since he didn't train with the team at all that's apparently not going to happen.

I have to explain this, in Iran when you get 18 you have to serve 2 years in military. that's mandatory for boys. unless you are a student. and when you get that age until you solve it (by serving that 2 years) you need special permission every time you leave the country. even though professional athletes usually don't go to real military bases. for example years ago we had a military-based team "Sanam" (which was also rich and could pay them well) something like Sangmu in Korea and players like Samad served their military service by playing for that club. right now as far as I know there is no team in the superleague with military connection. so they either have to play in lower divisions or just postpone that. the only way to postpone that is making yourself a student. even though they probably don't even attend a class ! that's probably what younger players like Yakhchali and Mashayekhi do. but you can't do that forever. so if Geramipour enters Iran there is no special permission for him this time and he has to stay ! what our coach wants is special permission for him (or just let him pay for that which is within rules but needs lots of paperwork and takes time)

btw Iran NT left for Japan without Haddadi and of course without Samad NB (who left for USA). with only 11 players . only Yousefvand joined the team. since this is off season and players probably don't train much during their summer. there is no other player available to replace these guys ! and obviously they didn't care much about WC qualifiers to keep other players ready in case, Asian Games was their only goal this year. to be honest I think Japan will be huge favorite this time.

interxavierxxx
09-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Yes him

even if he was not a normal player , that's no problem since Iran has no naturalized player

but I think I didn't explain it well, our coach was pissed off about the rules in Iran, not FIBA. Geramipour played half a season in Iranian league and he was good enough to draw attention. but he had to leave quickly to not get trapped in Iran. like any other Iranian individual he has to serve two years in military service ! rules in Iran are not that strict about those who born and raised outside of Iran. they have to wait till they became 26 then they can pay for their military service. Geramipour is 26 now and our coach was expecting a quick solution for him but he was angry because in other sports (specially football) they solve such problems in a day while in basketball nobody cares. Geramipour still can play for them when they play outside of Iran but since he didn't train with the team at all that's apparently not going to happen.

I have to explain this, in Iran when you get 18 you have to serve 2 years in military. that's mandatory for boys. unless you are a student. and when you get that age until you solve it (by serving that 2 years) you need special permission every time you leave the country. even though professional athletes usually don't go to real military bases. for example years ago we had a military-based team "Sanam" (which was also rich and could pay them well) something like Sangmu in Korea and players like Samad served their military service by playing for that club. right now as far as I know there is no team in the superleague with military connection. so they either have to play in lower divisions or just postpone that. the only way to postpone that is making yourself a student. even though they probably don't even attend a class ! that's probably what younger players like Yakhchali and Mashayekhi do. but you can't do that forever. so if Geramipour enters Iran there is no special permission for him this time and he has to stay ! what our coach wants is special permission for him (or just let him pay for that which is within rules but needs lots of paperwork and takes time)

btw Iran NT left for Japan without Haddadi and of course without Samad NB (who left for USA). with only 11 players . only Yousefvand joined the team. since this is off season and players probably don't train much during their summer. there is no other player available to replace these guys ! and obviously they didn't care much about WC qualifiers to keep other players ready in case, Asian Games was their only goal this year. to be honest I think Japan will be huge favorite this time.

I gotta hand it to you guys though. No Haddadi, no problem. You guys played better as a team than we did. Sure, you had plenty of hiccups during the game which we could have capitalized and steal the game but you pulled through. It's going to be a tough match against Japan without Haddadi and Nikkhah Bahrami but I trust your system will keep you within the winning column.

Guys to watch out for: Hiejima, Hachimura, and Watanabe.

JGX
09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Unfortunate that Japan probably won't have Hachimura or Watanabe for the last two windows.

Dtown
09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Unfortunate that Japan probably won't have Hachimura or Watanabe for the last two windows.

Yes they were quite the different team, 4 straight wins including wins over Australia and Iran. I still give them an outside shot to make it.

3 games against Kazakstan and Qatar, while Jordan's got 2 against New Zealand and South Korea on the road.

sinobball
09-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Yes they were quite the different team, 4 straight wins including wins over Australia and Iran. I still give them an outside shot to make it.

3 games against Kazakstan and Qatar, while Jordan's got 2 against New Zealand and South Korea on the road.
"If China makes it to the top 4 teams in either group, then both fourth-placed teams will qualify for the FIBA Basketball World Cup."

Which means as long as China wins most of their remaining games, Japan will make it if they don't do terribly vs. Kazakhstan. In other words, it won't have anything to do with Jordan. (Jordan isn't done but no way they'll finish ahead of China because China will play 2 games vs. Syria.)

It is unfair, because Group E is overall better than Group F. The two teams that qualified with Iran, Qatar and Kazakhstan, lost to Australia "C" by 52 and 53 points respectively.

sinobball
09-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Having equal numbers from East (including Pacific) and West Asia in the second round is also unfair. In this window, East Asia/Pacific went 10-2 against West/Central Asia. The only 2 eastern teams that lost were China Blue and Philippines Post-Brawl team, both closer to "B" than "A" strengthwise. No doubt Chinese Taipei can beat both Qatar and Syria (and in fact they did exactly that in the Asian Games without an import.)

TurboCharger
09-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Having equal numbers from East (including Pacific) and West Asia in the second round is also unfair. In this window, East Asia/Pacific went 10-2 against West/Central Asia. The only 2 eastern teams that lost were China Blue and Philippines Post-Brawl team, both closer to "B" than "A" strengthwise. No doubt Chinese Taipei can beat both Qatar and Syria (and in fact they did exactly that in the Asian Games without an import.)

The luck (or lack thereof) of the draw made by Scottie Pippen. :p

reamily
09-18-2018, 10:57 PM
the unfortunate thing is that full strength jordan was beaten by korea minus a number of key players and a china blue team minus its stars.. dwairi will return to turkey and is abbas playing for cha this year?

deviant
11-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Yes him

Will Iran play with Geramipoor this 5th window?

deviant
11-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Yes him

Dtown
11-29-2018, 03:13 PM
East Asia/Pacific really dominating West Asia in group E.

mohsena2631
11-29-2018, 05:11 PM

Nope. 12 man roster for Iran will be

PG: Hamed Hosseinzadeh, Aren Davoudi, Rasoul Mozaffari
SG: Behnam Yakhchali, Navid Rezaeifar
SF: Mohammad Jamshidi, Amir Sedighi
PF: Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Rouzbeh Arghavan
C: Mohammad Torabi, Keivan Riaei, Meisam Mirzaei

this is even weaker than 1st window team. and since there is no guarantee problems will be solved before the last window. Iran's qualification is pretty much in danger if China decides to not take the rest of the competition serious.

mohsena2631
11-30-2018, 08:28 PM
That was really humiliating, I feel sorry for all those Iranian fans in stadium the cheered for Iran the entire 40 minutes despite such a poor and shameful performance.

it sounds funny for a team lost by 30 but I think this Australian team was quite beatable even for that Iran. but Iran had a terrible day from behind the arc missing so many open shots , they also made some unbelievable stupid turnovers like amateurs. they turned the ball over so many times in our own half resulting in easy 2pts layups for Australia. I think it happened 8-9 times. almost 20 easy pts for Australia. Rasoul Mozaffari in his NT debut made two 8-second violation !!!! I know he is a good player but not ready for this level yet. the coaching was also terrible. that 8-man Petrochimi club which won the Asian Club Championship was much better than this team.

very very surprised to see Philippines losing to Kazakhstan but that doesn't mean anything. Philippines always plays in level of its opponent. they play better against better teams. (even though since this Iranian team is also very bad. maybe we can expect a bad game from them too lol)

sinobball
12-01-2018, 12:07 AM
That was really humiliating, I feel sorry for all those Iranian fans in stadium the cheered for Iran the entire 40 minutes despite such a poor and shameful performance.

it sounds funny for a team lost by 30 but I think this Australian team was quite beatable even for that Iran. but Iran had a terrible day from behind the arc missing so many open shots , they also made some unbelievable stupid turnovers like amateurs. they turned the ball over so many times in our own half resulting in easy 2pts layups for Australia. I think it happened 8-9 times. almost 20 easy pts for Australia. Rasoul Mozaffari in his NT debut made two 8-second violation !!!! I know he is a good player but not ready for this level yet. the coaching was also terrible. that 8-man Petrochimi club which won the Asian Club Championship was much better than this team.

very very surprised to see Philippines losing to Kazakhstan but that doesn't mean anything. Philippines always plays in level of its opponent. they play better against better teams. (even though since this Iranian team is also very bad. maybe we can expect a bad game from them too lol)

I didn't watch the game, but knowing Australia I know at least some of the turnovers are not merely silly mistakes. Australia plays really physical basketball, and when you are hit 10 times (I mean general physical contacts, not just fouls) you will make mistakes you won't make normally. This is IMO the biggest problem facing all Asian teams when they compete against Australia ("B" or "C" teams).

I'm not suprised at all by the Kazakhstan win, I watched them play China close for almost 2 quarters at the Asian Games. They have the size, shooting touch and defensive intensity to compete in Asia. They are just turnover prone and foul prone.

Wayfarer
12-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Gilas Pilipinas used to be the best in Asia. Really hope they can work their way back with all the other countries catching up... Iran are strong by in chaos... great time for Gilas to get a win here...

https://www.scmp.com/sport/basketball/article/2176018/gilas-pilipinas-can-make-most-turmoil-within-iran-camp-their-must

sime0n
12-02-2018, 03:04 PM
"If China makes it to the top 4 teams in either group, then both fourth-placed teams will qualify for the FIBA Basketball World Cup."

Which means as long as China wins most of their remaining games, Japan will make it if they don't do terribly vs. Kazakhstan. In other words, it won't have anything to do with Jordan. (Jordan isn't done but no way they'll finish ahead of China because China will play 2 games vs. Syria.)

It is unfair, because Group E is overall better than Group F. The two teams that qualified with Iran, Qatar and Kazakhstan, lost to Australia "C" by 52 and 53 points respectively.

Really hoping Japan qualifies so we can see rui and yuta next summer. And it would help the sport in Japan. But Philippines loves basketball too. So really China needs to finish top 4 to help both get in.

mohsena2631
12-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Didn't expect this win because of such negative mentality inside the team. but they really fought hard for this win despite all weaknesses. that was another poor shooting day but Jamshidi made it when it matters in 4th quarter. this is the "team melli" we knew. fighting hard and playing with passion until the last minute

listening to the coach during the timeout now I can understand why some players don't want to play for him. this is probably OK in other countries but in Iran . I don't think so. you have to respect your players. you can't yell at your most experienced player, your captain , "why you are missing free throws, why you are missing open shots" ! it's not like he wasn't trying. I'm glad Aren didn't react to that.

also Hamed Hosseinzadeh played a key role in 4th quarter defensively . specially in dying last minutes. I always thought he deserved more playing time in the NT (of course behind Mashayekhi)

even though we are not 100% qualified yet but I think we are almost there. now we have time to solve the problems before the next window. players refusing to play for the NT is something we never had before.

mohsena2631
12-03-2018, 03:28 PM
well it seems we were wrong about the qualification system regard China. FIBA says "to determine the final standings, the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Host, China, shall not be included. However all results related to the previous games of China in the relevant group shall be taken into account for the final standings."

If I'm not wrong it means right now Lebanon is 3rd in that group and Jordan is 4th. which means China finishing top 4 in that group IS NOT enough for 4th placer Group F team.

I think it means things are out of Philippines hands . they still can get eliminated even if they win next two games. first if Japan win the next 2 games Philippines can't finish higher than 4th. even if Japan beat Iran and lose to Kazakhstan , still there is a big chance for Philippines to finish 4th in 3 way tie break between Iran, Japan and Philippines, (unless Japan beat Iran by a big score)
and if China and NZ decide to not send a good team for the last window to the middle east. Jordan's points difference is too good for the Philippines to catch up with.

so one of these two things should happen for the Philippines to qualify
1. Iran beating Japan
2. Jordan not winning both games or Lebanon losing both games

Dtown
12-03-2018, 03:36 PM
well it seems we were wrong about the qualification system regard China. FIBA says "to determine the final standings, the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Host, China, shall not be included. However all results related to the previous games of China in the relevant group shall be taken into account for the final standings."

If I'm not wrong it means right now Lebanon is 3rd in that group and Jordan is 4th. which means China finishing top 4 in that group IS NOT enough for 4th placer Group F team.

I think it means things are out of Philippines hands . they still can get eliminated even if they win next two games. first if Japan win the next 2 games Philippines can't finish higher than 4th. even if Japan beat Iran and lose to Kazakhstan , still there is a big chance for Philippines to finish 4th in 3 way tie break between Iran, Japan and Philippines, (unless Japan beat Iran by a big score)
and if China and NZ decide to not send a good team for the last window to the middle east. Jordan's points difference is too good for the Philippines to catch up with.

so one of these two things should happen for the Philippines to qualify
1. Iran beating Japan
2. Jordan not winning both games or Lebanon losing both games

This makes a lot more sense than way we previously thought.

Still even with this now Jordan still has an uphill climb, even though they're at home, and even though New Zealand and China have nothing to play for, getting a win from those two games is daunting.

mohsena2631
12-03-2018, 04:03 PM
This makes a lot more sense than way we previously thought.

Still even with this now Jordan still has an uphill climb, even though they're at home, and even though New Zealand and China have nothing to play for, getting a win from those two games is daunting.

Yes it does but I'm glad I didn't know that before the Philippines game lol that would made me too nervous for that game ! losing this one we had to beat Japan by 14 to keep things in our hands. not easy at all considering the fact there is no guarantee we will have our stars back for the next window.

but in general it doesn't make sense to have China in this competition. they just make it more complicated. I think Chinese Taipei should be in Group E instead of China.

I believe Jordan will be fully prepared for those last 2 games but of course it will mostly depend on how much China and NZ will take those games seriously. what if they decide to send U19 teams for example !?

markkanen
12-03-2018, 04:17 PM
It's nonsense, they were told one thing, and now they are telling something quite different. Is there a chance for Kazakhstan to make to the World Cup?

mohsena2631
02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Iran's roster for the last window

PG: Sajjad Mashayekhi, Aren Davoudi, Hamed Hosseinzadeh
SG: Behnam Yakhchali, Navid Niktash
SF: Mohammad Jamshidi, Mike Rostampour
PF: Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Arman Zangeneh
C: Meisam Mirzaei, Rouzbeh Arghavan, Keivan Riaei

more or less the same squad as the previous window. the only important addition is Mashayekhi who was injured back then.
Iran will be missing Kazemi, Nikkhah and Haddadi. coach didn't even invite Kazemi for "technical reasons" (aka personal problem with the player) Haddadi didn't go to the camp in first place, few days later he changed his mind saying he wants to play only because of the fans. but coach said no thanks I only accept players who joined the camp from the first day !! Nikkhah went to the camp and trained couple of days with them but later left them for unknown reasons (apparently claiming he is not in good shape to play)

for making sure about the qualification, Iran has to win one of those two games (vs Japan or Australia) or at least not losing to Japan by more than 8 points. of course even if that doesn't happen there is still a good chance for Iran to qualify but that will be out of our hands. only one unlikely scenario will eliminate Iran but if I was the coach I would take that seriously.

Dtown
02-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Point differential matters! If Iran had lost by less than 8 they would have qualified today, but two free throws and a missed layup mean they'll face Australia on Sunday having not qualified yet. Though they're still very likely to even if they lose.

Japan's been incredible since their awful start. They now hold the tiebreaker over Iran and will qualify with a win over Qatar, a loss by the Philippines, or a loss by Iran.

mohsena2631
02-21-2019, 04:35 PM
The game itself was humiliating, except the last 4 minutes when they finally did something and cut Japan's lead from 19 to 6. but I still can't believe how STUPID they were. almost 10 persons on the bench and nobody knew Iran only had to not lose the game by 7 or more. we were down by 6 and with 10 seconds to go they only had to let it go and shake hands with the Japanese. instead they went for a foul and after FTs Hosseinzadeh missed the last layup. if they knew how crucial is this they wouldn't let Hosseinzadeh taking the last shot.

only because of this, this Iran deserves to not qualify, for this and for having the worst coach ever.almost everybody hates him in the team. this is still unlikely for Iran to not qualify but what if Japan decide to not take the last game seriously ! and Jordan wins both games. none of them are completely impossible. and I'm almost sure this shitty team can't beat even Australia Z team.

mohsena2631
02-21-2019, 05:15 PM
I'm watching the press conference , I'm more surprised that our coach actually knew 6pts was enough. he claims the players made a "mistake" they were supposed to do nothing ! unbelievable

ja.he
02-24-2019, 01:13 PM
I'm watching the press conference , I'm more surprised that our coach actually knew 6pts was enough. he claims the players made a "mistake" they were supposed to do nothing ! unbelievable

But is your coach act honourable move? Your coach is such a coward because he didn’t try. They cannot prove for once that there is life for Iran basketball after Haddadi and Bahraini. That they can still be a force in Asia even without the two plus karma I.

Dtown
02-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Japan demolishes Qatar 96-48, finishing their incredible 8 game winning streak, qualifying for the World Cup and probably cementing their hosting for the Olympics.

Because of their win Iran automatically qualifies as well.

Lebanon loses to Korea, meaning Jordan qualifies.

Philippines wins, qualifying and eliminates Lebanon.

Mindozas
02-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Feel a bit sad for Lebanon, a real basketball nation. They had it all in their hands, needed one win, but failed. Didn't see in their team a real go-to guy like Jordan has with Tucker, Philippines has with Blatche (41+13 and 49eff today - amazing)

mojo13
02-24-2019, 04:42 PM
Feel a bit sad for Lebanon, a real basketball nation. They had it all in their hands, needed one win, but failed. Didn't see in their team a real go-to guy like Jordan has with Tucker, Philippines has with Blatche (41+13 and 49eff today - amazing)

Sounds like there is an easy solution. Just come up with some more money to buy a better American.

Mindozas
02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Sounds like there is an easy solution. Just come up with some more money to buy a better American.

Yeah, if FIBA has flaws in their system with that naturalization crap, and you try to use it, at least you should try to use it as much efficient as you can. Lebanon obviously didnt

ja.he
02-25-2019, 12:46 AM

australia does, america does, your country does, spain, almost all european teams does save lithuania and serbia (and they don't even need to), why other countries from continents can't?

mojo13
02-25-2019, 06:53 AM
australia does, america does, your country does, spain, almost all european teams does save lithuania and serbia (and they don't even need to), why other countries from continents can't?

I was just encouraging them to abuse the system to the fullest. Buying an ex-NBA player to drop 40 and clinche a WC berthe is a boss move. Could have easily worked for Lebanon.

I am curious who you think the US has naturalized or Canada for that matter ( that is news to me)? Same with Australia - did they naturalize someone? Surely they didn’t buy them?

I’m sorry but the Philippines will always get mocked for Blatche. He is a straight mercenary, a highly paid purchase. A few other countries have done that, but he is the worst example. Most other countries naturalize guys that at least have some tie to the country, usually living in-country and playing in the domestic league for a few years. That seems the more natural naturalization. It’s fully in the rules and the Philippines has done nothing wrong. It is just funny to see and the most obvious example of why some people don’t like the rule or think FIBA should tighten it up.

I am curious though of who you think the USA, Canada or Australia has naturalized.

ja.he
02-25-2019, 09:49 AM
I was just encouraging them to abuse the system to the fullest. Buying an ex-NBA player to drop 40 and clinche a WC berthe is a boss move. Could have easily worked for Lebanon.

I am curious who you think the US has naturalized or Canada for that matter ( that is news to me)? Same with Australia - did they naturalize someone? Surely they didn’t buy them?

I’m sorry but the Philippines will always get mocked for Blatche. He is a straight mercenary, a highly paid purchase. A few other countries have done that, but he is the worst example. Most other countries naturalize guys that at least have some tie to the country, usually living in-country and playing in the domestic league for a few years. That seems the more natural naturalization. It’s fully in the rules and the Philippines has done nothing wrong. It is just funny to see and the most obvious example of why some people don’t like the rule or think FIBA should tighten it up.

I am curious though of who you think the USA, Canada or Australia has naturalized.

australia has kevin lisch as its naturalized player. usa used to have hakeem (nigerian by birth) and patrick ewing (jamaican by birth) as naturalized players. canada has samuel dalembert (haitian by birth) while i don't agree on the enlistment of blatche in 2014, i think it should be enough that was 5 years ago. it is what it is right now. if someone will complain, they should done it in 2014 but no one did because they also do it.

but mind you, i always prefer an unheralded naturalized player that played on my league (pba) like marcus douthit. many of our imports also wants to be a naturalized filipino citizen but our congress are not just giving our citizenship that easy (blatche's case was an exemption). have you ever heard if we naturalized another player since blatche? none.

reamily
02-25-2019, 12:52 PM
At least someone is being honest here aside from relying on a vintage performance of Blatche, we relied also from a korea win. But neverthless we want our team in the biggest stage so we take even how ugly it is..

reamily
02-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Exactly.. they need to hore a nba level wingman who can play 3 4 or even small ball 5..

reamily
02-25-2019, 12:55 PM
Didn't expect this win because of such negative mentality inside the team. but they really fought hard for this win despite all weaknesses. that was another poor shooting day but Jamshidi made it when it matters in 4th quarter. this is the "team melli" we knew. fighting hard and playing with passion until the last minute

listening to the coach during the timeout now I can understand why some players don't want to play for him. this is probably OK in other countries but in Iran . I don't think so. you have to respect your players. you can't yell at your most experienced player, your captain , "why you are missing free throws, why you are missing open shots" ! it's not like he wasn't trying. I'm glad Aren didn't react to that.

also Hamed Hosseinzadeh played a key role in 4th quarter defensively . specially in dying last minutes. I always thought he deserved more playing time in the NT (of course behind Mashayekhi)

even though we are not 100% qualified yet but I think we are almost there. now we have time to solve the problems before the next window. players refusing to play for the NT is something we never had before.

So the foreign coaches of iran the past years never shouts at the players? Its surprising that the local guy is the one doing it..

Tevfik1907
02-25-2019, 02:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yRzpRn-MZU

Duverioglu played with 15 pts 9 reb, 5/6 FT.

mojo13
02-25-2019, 06:05 PM
australia has kevin lisch as its naturalized player. usa used to have hakeem (nigerian by birth) and patrick ewing (jamaican by birth) as naturalized players. canada has samuel dalembert (haitian by birth) while i don't agree on the enlistment of blatche in 2014, i think it should be enough that was 5 years ago. it is what it is right now. if someone will complain, they should done it in 2014 but no one did because they also do it.

but mind you, i always prefer an unheralded naturalized player that played on my league (pba) like marcus douthit. many of our imports also wants to be a naturalized filipino citizen but our congress are not just giving our citizenship that easy (blatche's case was an exemption). have you ever heard if we naturalized another player since blatche? none.

I thought we were talking present day or at least the modern era. Hakeem and Dalembert are technically true, but neither situation has anything in common with Blatche. I forgot Dalembert even played for Canada he was so inconsequential (his attitude killed the team the one tournament he played) - but at least he did move to Canada as a child and grew up Montreal. And, quoting Kevin Lisch doesn't help your argument much. I had never heard of him, but looked him up and and it seems he played most of his career in Australia. He is also seemingly inconsequential.

Again - I don't think the Philippines is breaking any rules with buying Blatches services. More countries should do it to help level the field, as long as it is within the rules. I'd love to add a another NBA caliber wing to Canada's depth since Andrew Wiggins never plays. Our federation doesn't have the money to spend and it would probably cause more problems than help. But it is pretty clear the difference between the Philippines and Lebanon qualifying is only one having a Blatche-level ex-NBA player for hire. Despite my ongoing disgust regarding the brawl with Australia I'm happy the Philippines qualified - it one of my favorite nations to visit and I appreciate the love for basketball there. It is an important market to have in the WC.

ja.he
02-25-2019, 09:05 PM
I thought we were talking present day or at least the modern era. Hakeem and Dalembert are technically true, but neither situation has anything in common with Blatche. I forgot Dalembert even played for Canada he was so inconsequential (his attitude killed the team the one tournament he played) - but at least he did move to Canada as a child and grew up Montreal. And, quoting Kevin Lisch doesn't help your argument much. I had never heard of him, but looked him up and and it seems he played most of his career in Australia. He is also seemingly inconsequential.

Again - I don't think the Philippines is breaking any rules with buying Blatches services. More countries should do it to help level the field, as long as it is within the rules. I'd love to add a another NBA caliber wing to Canada's depth since Andrew Wiggins never plays. Our federation doesn't have the money to spend and it would probably cause more problems than help. But it is pretty clear the difference between the Philippines and Lebanon qualifying is only one having a Blatche-level ex-NBA player for hire. Despite my ongoing disgust regarding the brawl with Australia I'm happy the Philippines qualified - it one of my favorite nations to visit and I appreciate the love for basketball there. It is an important market to have in the WC.

don't worry this world cup maybe the last time you'll see blatche wearing philippine jersey. we have an ivorian player who has been in the country for years, studied high school here and currently studying college. he is one of the candidates for the lone naturalized spot for the team come 2023. we are currently developing him as a good basketball player. i hope tab will develop him faster. i hope that would lessen the disgust people outside the philippines has against getting blatche.

the reason why scored that big in the game kazakhstan because pur coach's plan is to let him lose in the court since kazakhs are more organized than qataris. if you watch qatar-philippine game, although blatche also registered a triple-double there, it is our locals that made difference there. they are the ones that made our lead ballooned to 20 points.