PDA

View Full Version : FIBA European Players of 2007

Marble
12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
As I read in greek sports sites, FIBA Europe has announced their nominees for Best European Player of 2007, both for Men and Young Men (U-22 probably). Diamantidis, Koufos and Teodosic are in the lists. Here we are...

MEN
Dimitris Diamantidis
Andrei Kirilenko
Ramunas Siskauskas
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Toni Parker
Andris Biendrins
Jose M. Calderon
Luol Deng
Matjaz Smodis
JR Holden

YOUNG MEN
Kostas Koufos
Ricky Rubio
Milan Macvan
Nikola Batum
Milos Teodosic
Danilo Galinari
Vladimir Dasic
Alexei Shved
Mladen Yeremic
Marco Belineli

What do you think?

freshas
12-17-2007, 08:55 PM
As I read in greek sports sites, FIBA Europe has announced their nominees for Best European Player of 2007, both for Men and Young Men (U-22 probably). Diamantidis, Koufos and Teodosic are in the lists. Here we are...

MEN
Dimitris Diamantidis
Andrei Kirilenko
Ramunas Siskauskas
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Toni Parker
Andris Biendrins
Jose M. Calderon
Luol Deng
Matjaz Smodis
JR Holden

YOUNG MEN
Kostas Koufos
Ricky Rubio
Milan Macvan
Nikola Batum
Milos Teodosic
Danilo Galinari
Vladimir Dasic
Alexei Shved
Mladen Yeremic
Marco Belineli

What do you think?

One lithuanian that's Siskauskas.I think will win Kirilenka.He and Russia team won Eurobasket,he was Championship MVP.Or Nowitzky,when last years.

Test
12-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Where is Pekovic?
I think AK-47 will win the vote.

wardjdim
12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
AK47, Calderon and Dirk should be the top-3 for the senior competition.

Macvan, Rubio and maybe Koufos for the juniors.

At the end of the day, in my opinion, Kirilenko and Macvan should be the winners.

Straight forward
12-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Kirilenko, Dirk, Siskauskas, imho.

Markoishvili
12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Kirilenko or Dirk

Gallinari or Rubio.

ArnoldPettybone
12-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank god an Israeli player is no amongst the nominees.
He would have get 90% of the votes already.

FRANKY 13
12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Kirilenko no questions asked. Sisko second and Diamantidis third. Spanish, players dont deserve to get to the podium after their performances this summer. They lost a title that wanted to be offered to them. That is of course my (slightly extreme I admit) subjective opinion.

Rubio or Koufos first and Macvan third for the youngsters.

wardjdim
12-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Spanish, players dont deserve to get to the podium after their performances this summer. They lost a title that wanted to be offered to them. That is of course my (slightly extreme I admit) subjective opinion.
I am, frankly, shocked by the fact that the moderators haven't banned you yet, after such a (just slightly extreme ;)) opinion.

FRANKY 13
12-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I am, frankly, shocked by the fact that the moderators haven't banned you yet, after such a (just slightly extreme ;)) opinion.

That's why we love them I guess...:cool:

rikhardur
12-18-2007, 08:36 PM
My picks were:

Player of the year
1- Kirilenko
2- Nowitzki
3- Šiškauskas

Young player of the year
1- Koufos
2- Rubio
3- Mačvan

Srle
12-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Kirilenko- best player on the best National team in Europe
Macvan- MVP of junior world championship and in my opinion best player on European junior championship (proved that in finals).

Neozyrus
12-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Spanish, players dont deserve to get to the podium after their performances this summer. They lost a title that wanted to be offered to them.

Lol :D :D Whatever u say man....

MEN

1- Andrei Kirilenko
2- Dirk Nowitzki
3- Jose M. Calderon

YOUNG MEN

1- Ricky Rubio
2- Milan Macvan
3- Kostas Koufos

rikhardur
01-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Meanwhile, Gazzetta dello Sport named Tony Parker European player of the year, ahead of Nowitzki and Kirilenko.

rikhardur
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
The Young Men award will be announced on the 6th February and the Men award on the 8th.

rikhardur
02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
And the 2007 Young Euro Player of the Year is... RICKY RUBIO! He had been 4th in 2006.
Teodosić came second.

http://www.basketenlared.com/web/basketenlared/images/Fotos/69820071140020.378471.jpg

Rubio led Spain to a fifth place finish at the Under-18 European Championship Men in August, where he averaged 19.1 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.8 assists per contest while shooting nearly 50% from behind the three-point line.

He has been playing a bigger part for club side DKV Joventut as well, averaging 12.5 points per contest, second only to last year's Young Men's Player of the Year Rudy Fernandez, while dishing out 3.5 assists per game.

"It's been clear in the last few seasons that Ricard Rubio is one of the most exciting young players in Europe or any part of the world for that matter." Said FIBA Europe President George Vassilakopoulos.

"His exploits for both country and club make him a very deserving winner."

"I still remember his performance at the Under-16 European Championship Men two years ago (51 points, 24 rebounds and 12 assists)," commented FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin. "I think we all knew then and there that we were watching someone special."
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_HNlVM320JbE-0eejG-Q820.container_frontpage.articleMode_on.html

1 - Ricky Rubio, Spain
2 - Miloš Teodosić, Serbia
3 - Marco Belinelli, Italy
4 - Konstantinos Koufos, Greece
5 - Danilo Gallinari, Italy
6 - Milan Mačvan, Serbia
7 - Nicolas Batum, France
8 - Alexey Shved, Russia
9 - Vladimir Dašić, Montenegro
10 - Mladen Jeremić, Serbia

rikhardur
02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
2007 Player of the Year: ANDREI KIRILENKO!
Nowitzki ended up second place.

http://www.nba.com/media/kirilenko_300_070919.jpg

Kirilenko led the surprise Russian side at EuroBasket 2007; averaging 18 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.2 steals to go with nearly two blocks per game. He had 29 points and eight rebounds in a crucial semi-final win over Lithuania and 17 points in the final against Spain.

On club level Kirilenko helped lead the Utah Jazz to the NBA's Western Conference Finals where they fell to eventual champions the San Antonio Spurs. Kirilenko is currently averaging 11.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.8 blocks per game for the Jazz.

"Andrei Kirilenko is a deserving winner of this award," commented FIBA Europe President George Vassilakopoulos.

"Very few people expected Russia to win the gold medal this summer and their eventual victory was due in large part to his stellar play."

"Andrei is one of the best players in the world and he proved that this summer in Spain," added FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.

"Russia has always been a force in European basketball but in a competition like EuroBasket you need more than just talent and he proved his abilities extend beyond his impressive statistics."
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_W3lWnsZ7GlUt8eIORrHfv0.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html

1 - Andrei Kirilenko, Russia
2 - Dirk Nowitzki, Germany
3 - José Calderón, Spain
4 - Tony Parker, France
5 - Ramūnas Šiškauskas, Lithuania
6 - Dimitris Diamantidis, Greece
7 - Pau Gasol, Spain
8 - Andris Biedriņš, Latvia
9 - Matjaž Smodiš, Slovenia
10 - Luol Deng, Great Britain
11 - J.R. Holden, Russia

ArkadiosV2
02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Very well done and well deserved.

From ballineurope.com:

A gold medal and MVP honours at EuroBasket 2007 and another strong showing for club side the Utah Jazz all add up the FIBA Europe Player of the Year Award for Andrei Kirilenko of Russia. The 2.09m forward takes home the prize after winning a vote of both fans and a panel of basketball experts, media and coaches from 25 different countries.

“Andrei Kirilenko is a deserving winner of this award,” commented FIBA Europe President George Vassilakopoulos.

“Very few people expected Russia to win the gold medal this summer and their eventual victory was due in large part to his stellar play.”

uRAgan
02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Great !:)
http://www.kirilenko.ru/photo/1/1_big.jpg

ArnoldPettybone
02-08-2008, 05:42 PM
another strong showing for club side the Utah Jazz
pretty hilarious...:rolleyes:
I wonder if people from that site watched the jazz play last year...Kirilenko was quiet obsolete in their run in the playoffs, his numbers dropping drastocly in all categories.
I guess this is just another thing that bbbal is imitating football; If a player is elected to the MVP of a international competition with a wining team, this automatically gives him the player of the year in Europe/world award.

uRAgan
02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
pretty hilarious...:rolleyes:
I wonder if people from that site watched the jazz play last year...Kirilenko was quiet obsolete in their run in the playoffs, his numbers dropping drastocly in all categories.
I guess this is just another thing that bbbal is imitating football; If a player is elected to the MVP of a international competition with a wining team, this automatically gives him the player of the year in Europe/world award.

You watched EuroBasket ? :rolleyes:

The main problem is Sloan.
EuroBasket confirmed this.

Juan Carlos Nadal
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I am not sure either whether his performance in the Eurobasket could be considered enough to give him the award. He sucked big time the rest of the year, even though it wasn't entirely his fault (he was "forced" into an unfamiliar role by his coach). But on a second though I cannot think of anyone else that achieved anything magnificent last year either. In either case his contribution to Russia's upset was no little thing.

ArnoldPettybone
02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Of course I did. Your point being?
EuroBasket doesn't confirm anything, unless the MVP of this tournament is more valuable then the NBA of NBA finals MVP...:rolleyes:

ArkadiosV2
02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
EuroBasket doesn't confirm anything, unless the MVP of this tournament is more valuable then the NBA of NBA finals MVP...:rolleyes:
Like it or not this award if all about Europe. So someone winning the NBA title, even being the MVP would count less than winning the Euroleague or/and Eurobasket.. It also depends on which teams win it... Spurs winning the NBA or PAO winning the Euroleague didn't shock or even surprised anyone while Russia winning the Eurobasket above Spain, Lithuania and Greece was something special.

Also, playing below your average doesn't mean you are playing bad.

Juan Carlos Nadal
02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Like it or not this award if all about Europe. So someone winning the NBA title, even being the MVP would count less than winning the Euroleague or/and Eurobasket..

I don't think that's the case. It's a FIBA award for best European player, regardless of where he performs. And I doubt it that all these years that Nowitzki was winning this was solely on his NT performances. He won it last year almost purely cuz of his NBA reg season performances. If anything FIBA would have liked to overlook EL performances if they could...

In my opinion of course.

ArnoldPettybone
02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Like it or not this award if all about Europe.

If that would be the case at least 2 players shouldn't be nominated at all (being deng and biedrins, nominated solely on their nba breakout season). And in this case the NBA and NBA Finals MVP's shouldn't be considered also, because they had a very weak EC. But they were.

Also, playing below your average doesn't mean you are playing bad.

below the average is big understatement. He was just obsolete, especially in the playoffs.

Joško Poljak Fan
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
performances in NBA are overated in this list...
if they're not, FibaE should decide which game they're evaluating since NBA is different than Europe, and from that point of view it's hard to believe NBA finals MVP could've save Parker from his performances at euro... unless of course Fiba considers NBA as far more important than national competitions...
Is it actually normal to put Deng on the list for anything apart the marketing/popularity issues?... what exactly has he done in europe or for european basketball? except playing for UK U16 team a decade ago...

rikhardur
02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
That's highly debatable, but it kind of is to me.

Is it actually normal to put Deng on the list for anything apart the marketing/popularity issues?... what exactly has he done in europe or for european basketball? except playing for UK U16 team a decade ago...
I wouldn't put things that way Matiz. Think of Smits, what did he do for basketball in Europe? But he could have won this award, since he's European. The same with Deng.

ArnoldPettybone
02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
That's highly debatable, but it kind of is to me.

Are you kiddin me?

I wouldn't put things that way Matiz. Think of Smits, what did he do for basketball in Europe? But he could have won this award, since he's European. The same with Deng.

You cant hold the stick on its both ends-If a player is nominated for a breakout nba season, the same state of mind would put an NBA/NBA finals MVP for a sure winner with one hand behind his back.

rikhardur
02-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Are you kiddin me?
I surely am not :rolleyes:

You cant hold the stick on its both ends-If a player is nominated for a breakout nba season, the same state of mind would put an NBA/NBA finals MVP for a sure winner with one hand behind his back.
I was merely referring to Matiz's statement about Deng having achieved something in Europe, not comparing a Eurobasket MVP to an NBA MVP.

rikhardur
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
The summer of 2007 is one that Russian sports fans will not forget anytime soon.

No basketball fan, player or coach at the EuroBasket, where Russia beat the odds and upset France, Lithuania and world champions Spain to win the gold medal, will ever forget.

Andrei Kirilenko sure won't.

He can't forget the moment the final buzzer of the gold medal game sounded, just after a desperation jumper from Pau Gasol bounced off the backboard and rim and stayed out to secure the gold medal for Russia.

Kirilenko, who averaged 18 points, 8.6 rebounds, 2.2 steals and nearly two blocks per game, was voted the MVP of the EuroBasket, and it was revealed last week that he had been voted FIBA Europe's Player of the Year as well.

"It is a big honor," said Kirilenko of his latest recognition.

"But I think it's an honor for our team in EuroBasket 2007."

And that is what made Kirilenko and Russia so special last year.

Utah Jazz star Kirilenko was the face of Russia, but they won gold only, he says, because they played as a team.

Viktor Khryapa, JR Holden, Nikita Morgunov and the rest of the Russians were outstanding.

American-born Israeli coach David Blatt, who is in talks to extend his contract through 2012, turned Russia from a bunch of no-hopers into a group that believed it could win.

Indeed, Kirilenko knows that later this summer at the Olympics in China the Russians will only do well if they play as a team.

"Nobody even (counted on) us and (they) deemed us underdogs," Kirilenko said in the Utah press.

"But we won the whole thing."
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_SBGej1IYGmsgxdYFN7Ta21.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html

rikhardur
07-22-2008, 09:18 PM
And the 2007 Young Euro Player of the Year is... RICKY RUBIO!
He received the award today, before the friendly Spain vs Argentina:

http://www.acb.com/fotos/35385_3_70383_3.jpg