Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do NTs usually complain about poor officiating in a FIBA tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do NTs usually complain about poor officiating in a FIBA tournament?

Hi, I just noticed right after I watched Fiba tournaments from Europe, Asia, and Africa that many teams have been called for fouls that they see aren't necessesary.

For instance, during Asian Championships there were a lot of ridicolous calls by the refs during a game betwen Lebanon and Japan.

Why is it like this? Why does FIBA have poor officials?
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

FIBA have poor schedule too. Organisation of tournaments is awfull

Comment

may be its because its a short turnament and the refs know their job doesn't depend on it, it they screw up, so they don't try too hard.

That would be my guess, plus the fact that sometimes you have refs from countrys where basketball is sport no. 2353454 and they really don't know a lot about the sport.

That would be my guess.
      My homage to The heroes:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

Originally posted by Alyosha12
        may be its because its a short turnament and the refs know their job doesn't depend on it, it they screw up, so they don't try too hard.

That would be my guess, plus the fact that sometimes you have refs from countrys where basketball is sport no. 2353454 and they really don't know a lot about the sport.
        Yes, I think that's part of it.

I've also always thought that the way games are refereed really depends on the league. It's very obvious here in the US when someone watches the NCAA and then the NBA. The calls are very different, although the rules are supposedly the same. A good example is the travelling call. In the NBA, travelling violations are pretty rare even though it happens frequently. In the NCAA, players are so concerned about that call. In the NBA, there are so many things like that. I think that's the big reason people like Carmelo Anthony and Tim Duncan cried so much during their FIBA tournaments: they're used to the NBA rules and not the FIBA rules.

So, I think that maybe FIBA referees are accustomed to refereeing their domestic leagues, which perhaps have the same rules but different interpretations, different ways of judging the call.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

couldn't agree anymore.

what really ticks me off about the NBA are the damn "ghost fouls"..and ues i believe in bias ghost fouls given to the stars... watch any NBA game and NCAA game guys, BIG DIFFERENCE. ncaa let you play contact is made, so what no one is getting a ghost foul. during the 90s and 80s officiating i preferred it more, they let the guys play and none of this silly after every 2-3 min there is a foul. gees ticks me off about the NBA..by the way i very much oppose the NBA continuation rule. where if a guy gets fouled but continues to go tot he basket its a 2+1 play...remove that.

Originally posted by mvblair
          Yes, I think that's part of it.

I've also always thought that the way games are refereed really depends on the league. It's very obvious here in the US when someone watches the NCAA and then the NBA. The calls are very different, although the rules are supposedly the same. A good example is the travelling call. In the NBA, travelling violations are pretty rare even though it happens frequently. In the NCAA, players are so concerned about that call. In the NBA, there are so many things like that. I think that's the big reason people like Carmelo Anthony and Tim Duncan cried so much during their FIBA tournaments: they're used to the NBA rules and not the FIBA rules.

So, I think that maybe FIBA referees are accustomed to refereeing their domestic leagues, which perhaps have the same rules but different interpretations, different ways of judging the call.
          "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
            couldn't agree anymore.

what really ticks me off about the NBA are the damn "ghost fouls"..and ues i believe in bias ghost fouls given to the stars... watch any NBA game and NCAA game guys, BIG DIFFERENCE. ncaa let you play contact is made, so what no one is getting a ghost foul. during the 90s and 80s officiating i preferred it more, they let the guys play and none of this silly after every 2-3 min there is a foul. gees ticks me off about the NBA..by the way i very much oppose the NBA continuation rule. where if a guy gets fouled but continues to go tot he basket its a 2+1 play...remove that.
            *COUGH* Dwayne Wade *COUGH*

Comment

Originally posted by ajaxballer
              *COUGH* Dwayne Wade *COUGH*

I always like it when Wade gets fouled, then travels, and they give him the two points for a lay-up, plus the foul.
              Originally posted by Phantim3dx
              It's really obvious, isn't it? Furthermore, the NBA has different rules for contact governing big guys and little guys, guys in the post and guys on the perimeter, guys in the half court and guys in the back court. It makes it very hard to understand the NBA game.

So, this is exactly why I think people complain about FIBA officiating; it's just so different from their domestic officiating.
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Another part of the issue is that referees have very different criteria depending on their countries, because every league is used to its own kind of roughness and rule flexibility and then is hard to implement an only criteria. It's not like FIBA has homogenic refereeing.

Comment

Some refs are blind. For example an Iranian player was travel were the greek didnt called and that cause RP Bench complain and the Greek ref called Technical foul on RP coach Chot Reyes. That call turn out to be miserable and the turning point of the game. RP is one momemtum and RPNT score basket after basket and getting fouled by big guys of IRAN (Thanks Kerby Raymundo) and getting defensive stops. If The Greek Ref call travelling instead of technical Foul, RPNT might won the game and maybe Iran might not qualify in the next round and Some team might won the Tourney and maybe RPNT might won the tourney.

Other one also in the same game were RPNT SG Ritualo pressing a an Iranian player then Ritualo was called for a foul. Ritualo was doing the pressing and gets on the body of the Iran player but the Iran player keeps pushing on Ritualo but Ritualo was still fouled.
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information