Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Herrmann to Detroit!!

Detroit Acquires Brezec, Herrmann -- December 14, 2007, AP

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Charlotte Bobcats' search for a big man ended Friday when they acquired center Nazr Mohammed from the Detroit Pistons in exchange for center Primoz Brezec and forward Walter Herrmann.

Mohammed, averaging 3.3 points and 3.5 rebounds in 21 games for the Pistons, will provide the Bobcats depth they've been missing since Sean May underwent season-ending knee surgery during training camp.

"We see this deal as a major improvement for the team," Bobcats coach Sam Vincent said. "Not that we were down on Primoz and Walter, but we're trying to improve the Bobcats. We feel we've got a big guy that can come in and score in the post and help us with rebounding."

The Bobcats have gotten very little from Brezec, who has been starting but averaging only 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds a game. Herrmann had failed to crack the Charlotte rotation under Vincent, in his first season.

The deal gives the Pistons Herrmann, someone they've coveted, and dumps salary. Mohammed is due about $25 million in a deal that runs through the 2010-11 season. Brezec and Herrmann are in the final year of their deals.

"We get great financial relief, and it is a deal we had to make from that perspective, but we are also getting two guys we like," said Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars. "These are two players that we've talked to Charlotte about in the past."

The 6-foot-10 Mohammed, in his ninth season from Kentucky, has averaged 6.8 points and 5.5 rebounds a game in his career. It's likely he'll eventually move into the starting lineup with Charlotte.

"It's going to take him some time to pick up what we're doing," Vincent said. "I don't see him coming in tomorrow and starting until he has a feel offensively what we're trying to do."

The deal came two weeks after the Bobcats signed Cleveland forward Anderson Varejao to a three-year offer sheet. The Cavaliers matched the offer the next day, leaving the Bobcats thin up front.

"Nazr is a proven big man in the league, and he deserves the chance that he's going to get in Charlotte," Dumars said. "He's a good man and the ultimate pro. He said he's grateful for the chance to go to Charlotte, but that he's going to miss the environment here."

The trade came as a shock to Brezec and Herrmann, who were warming about an hour before Friday night's game against Orlando when they were told of the news.

"I'm an emotional guy. I love Charlotte. I was here for more than three years," Brezec said as he took off his Bobcats' uniform in the locker room. "I was ready for tonight, but I have a broken nose. I've already had two surgeries and may need a third. But I was ready for tonight."

The 7-foot-1 Brezec, taken by Charlotte in the expansion draft in 2004, has seen his numbers decline the past two seasons. Herrmann, an Argentine, was signed before last season after playing in Spain.

After a slow start, the 6-foot-9 Herrmann averaged 17.9 points over the final 18 games. But he had averaged only 4 points in 10 minutes per game this season as he struggled to get time at power forward with Vincent using Emeka Okafor there instead of center.

"I feel good because it's a good opportunity for me," Herrmann said of going to the Pistons. "There I can play. On this team, I don't have the minutes."

The move leaves the Bobcats with an open roster spot that could be used to being in another forward. The trade happened a few hours after the team had assigned rookie forward Jermareo Davidson to the NBA's Development League. The move was rescinded after the deal and Davidson was in uniform Friday night.
    Joe Dumars, the GM of Detroit, is a great architect and talent evaluator. He was right about Prince, Milicic, and Maxiell. I hope Herrmann gets some minutes in Detroit! I think he will, because Detroit needs more players besides Wallace, Maxiel, and McDyess in the center spot.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Another back up for Tay, great move and on top of that we get rid of Nazrs contract
    47-70
    76-58

Comment

A goodtrade for Detroit imo. They could use a good, athletic SF as a backup for Prince, plus they get a big guy who's better in offence (and maybe better in general) than Mohammed..

Comment

Who cares what is the trade. We all know he will be sitting on the bench alltime

Comment

Originally posted by Test
          Who cares what is the trade. We all know he will be sitting on the bench alltime
          I sadly think that will happen and that his situation won't change that much. We'll see...
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

You guys might be right, but I've got hope for Herrmann!!
            Trade bolsters Pistons' frontcourt, eases salary cap -- December 15, 2007, A. Sherrod Blakely, Michigan Live

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons got some added frontcourt depth -- and some much-needed salary cap relief -- by trading away center Nazr Mohammed on Friday to Charlotte for center Primoz Brezec and forward Walter Herrmann. In a related move, the Pistons also requested waivers on forward Ronald Dupree.

Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations, said the Pistons' interest in Brezec dates back to last season. Detroit also had talks with the Bobcats earlier this season about Herrmann.

"It's a deal that, just from a financial standpoint, you have to make," Dumars said. "But the fact that we're getting two players that we like makes it even better for us."

Brezec, a former first-round pick of the Indiana Pacers in the 2000 draft, is a 7-foot-1 center who can score inside the post as well as from the perimeter.

During the 2004-2005 season, he finished fourth in the NBA's Most Improved Player Award voting.

"He can flat-out shoot the basketball," Dumars said. "Just that length and size and able to shoot the basketball, is appealing to me especially with the way the game is being played today."

As for Herrmann, Dumars envisions him being a game-changer with his energy and hustle.

"That reckless abandon he plays with," Dumars said, "the fact that he can step out and stroke a 3 ... but mainly, the energy that he brings when he touches the floor, appeals to me. He has an energy and a toughness that I like."

Mohammed will earn $5.632 million this season and has another three years left on his deal that's worth nearly $20 million. Brezec ($2.75 million) and Herrmann ($1.944 million) will be free agents this summer....
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

I think Dumars and Saunders will be insulted again by some people in Argentina for not playing certain player... again.

Comment

The Pistons have played 4 games since Herrmann joined them and he hasn't played a single second yet...
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                  The Pistons have played 4 games since Herrmann joined them and he hasn't played a single second yet...
                  I hope he will return to europe. He is not 20 anymore to has the time to wait for his chance in this season. He had his chance last year and played great. He proved that he has the skillz to play in the NBA and that on a good level. Why he now is not getting his chance is a big question for me.

I must always laugh, when i see players like Moon and Dudley get playing time and players like Hermann are not getting a single second.

Comment

ARG - Hermann uncertain over Argentina future

DETROIT (2008 Beijing Olympics) - Walter Hermann admits he will not warrant a place in Argentina's Olympic squad if he does not start seeing some on-court action with the Detroit Pistons.

The 28-year-old is yet to make his official debut for the Pistons after arriving from the Charlotte Bobcats earlier this month and the dream of retaining his gold medal from Athens is looking somewhat distant.

He told Clarin newspaper: "I'm not currently playing and the truth is that I don't know if I will play this year. To play at the Olympic Games, you have to be well-prepared.

"I think the ones who deserve to go to the Olympics are the 12 whose form is the best. If I don't play this year, my preparation would not be suitable."

The forward missed the FIBA Americas Championship because he was uncertain about his future: "If Charlotte hadn't renewed my contract, I would have had to play a Summer League again at the same time the national team were playing.

"After this season, the same will happen, because I don't know whether I will continue in the NBA or go back to Europe.

"The national team cannot wait for me, especially if I am a guy who plays for two months and then doesn't for one."

"My priority is to consolidate myself as an NBA player.

"If I had been signed before the season, everything would have been different. I came here looking forward to playing, but I still don't know if I will play this year. This is an established team, with a lot of players. I cannot demand to have minutes on court."

Despite the lack of activity, Herrmann is setting his sights high.

"My ambition is winning the NBA ring," he said.

"Then, if I can have a place in the team, it would be fantastic. If not, I will contribute in training to help the team be as successful as possible.

"My ambition and my philosophy is victory. If you don't win, you can do a good job but you have failed to clinch your goal.

"The coach told me to be patient, that he will try to find the right place for me in the team. I have to be patient and work hard."
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

I think he has already proved more than enough to earn a post in the rotation of the team, as he has demostrated that he's much better than some of his teammates, but this is again the same old story with foreign players in NBA...

There have been a lot of rumours liking him to Barcelona in the last couple of months, personally i really would like to see him again around here, but it is gonna be very difficult. He will only consider this possibility if he sees that hes nor gonna play a single minute in the team imo.
                      I KISS BASKET

Comment

Why so impatient? Hermann will play....

I like what I see in Walter Hermann, and am excited about having him on the Pistons. This is a high quality, very deep team, and for those who expected him to step right onto the floor, please remember proven veterans like Lindsay Hunter and Flip Murray are not suiting up given the depth of this team...Hermann and Brezic will get a legitimate look here, and fans like me want to see them succeed. Competition for minutes is fierce on this team though, with rising star Amir Johnson getting limited time behind the starters and Jason Maxiell already....Jarvis Hayes is a veteran scorer, and Hermann's opportunity is for some of Hayes' minutes (and Tayshaun Prince's starting minutes), and he'll get them from what I've seen in the one game he's played in vs Milwaukee. I look forward to him playing and contributing, and being a fan favorite in Detroit. Give it time!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evenhanded
                          I like what I see in Walter Hermann, and am excited about having him on the Pistons. This is a high quality, very deep team, and for those who expected him to step right onto the floor, please remember proven veterans like Lindsay Hunter and Flip Murray are not suiting up given the depth of this team...
                          You're absolutely right about that, EH. Detroit is one of the deepest teams in the league. Hunter is certainly a player who could get more minutes on another team (we'd love to have him back in Cleveland).
                          Hermann and Brezic will get a legitimate look here, and fans like me want to see them succeed. Competition for minutes is fierce on this team though, with rising star Amir Johnson getting limited time behind the starters and Jason Maxiell already....Jarvis Hayes is a veteran scorer, and Hermann's opportunity is for some of Hayes' minutes (and Tayshaun Prince's starting minutes), and he'll get them from what I've seen in the one game he's played in vs Milwaukee. I look forward to him playing and contributing, and being a fan favorite in Detroit. Give it time!!!!
                          Yes, those are some very good players. And I hope that Herrmann gets a fair shake. The problem is that Detroit is already a very close-knit team, offensively and defensively. There really isn't that much room for them to improve a whole lot. Obviously, that's a good thing for Detroit's team and fans. It's a bad thing for Herrmann's fans, like me. We've seen him do amazing things internationally and in the NBA (personally, I think he's a 20-point player in this league, as he was last season after Christmas). But then he got screwed at the start of this season in Charlotte. I think we're all afraid he'll get screwed again, even if it is justified because of Detroit's depth.

--Matt

Comment

Herrmann had one of the most beautiful basketball plays you'll ever see last night. Somebody, please, please, please find the video!! He went behind the backboard for a Dr. J-esque lay-up. Absolutely beautiful.

Lay-up

Comment

It is already on Youtube, he made that move numerous times while he was playing in Unicaja Malaga.

Oops, i just found it. It was way to easy. Nice, nice!

And my contribution to this thread, two really short videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAIctcgmvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKdZ6pb0jA

I often do his little trick from the second video!
                              sigpic
                              ACB league
                              Scola & Ginobili 4 life
                              TAU & Lakers supporter
                              need4sheed.com

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information