Michael Jordan's son, Jeffrey, chooses a risky college hoops career move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jordan's son, Jeffrey, chooses a risky college hoops career move

Michael Jordan applauds son's decision to play basketball as walk-on at Illinois

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- Michael Jordan applauded his son's decision to walk on at Illinois rather than accept a scholarship to a smaller college.

The basketball legend and his 18-year-old son, Jeffrey, appeared on the "Today" show Friday.

Jordan said his son decided he wanted the challenge of proving himself at the Big Ten school.

"I'm thinking that's what I would have done," Jordan said.

Talking on the Illinois campus, NBC's Matt Lauer asked if the son had ever beaten his father in a basketball game.

"Ask him how many times," Jordan said to Lauer, knowing the answer would be once, before admitting that he wasn't thrilled about it at the time.

Jordan, a 6-2 guard at Loyola Academy prep school in Wilmette, Ill., chose Illinois over Valparaiso in April. He was a three-year starter at Loyola Academy and two-year All Catholic League player.

He'll be coached by Bruce Weber, who guided the Illini to a 23-12 record last year before losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six championships and was a five-time MVP, said he knows there will be high expectations for his son. But he told him meeting his own expectations is important.

"The thing we have tried to tell Jeff is that you pick your own expectations and if you're happy, that's all that matters," Jordan said. "You're never going to make everybody happy."

Jordan is now part owner of the Charlotte Bobcats.

Jordan talked a bit about his divorce last year from his wife, Juanita, after 17 years of marriage. Along with Jeffrey -- who is majoring in psychology and earned an academic scholarship to Illinois -- the couple have a younger son and daughter.

"His mom and I were on the same page when it came to that," Jordan said. "Our kids came first. We still communicate each and every day."

Jordan said he talked to his son about mistakes he made in the past, including gambling. While he said there is nothing wrong with gambling, he advised his son to be careful.

"My lesson to him was 'Don't ever go outside your means,"' he said.

Jordan said when he attends his son's games, all eyes are on him. So as he's done in the past, he'll make an effort not to show his reactions during Illini games.

His son joked he supports his dad attending games because it takes some pressure off him.

"When he's there it kind of helps me a little bit because I know people aren't watching me so much," he said.

Jordan talked a bit about his divorce last year from his wife, Juanita, after 17 years of marriage. Along with Jeffrey -- who is majoring in psychology and earned an academic scholarship to Illinois -- the couple have a younger son and daughter.
    Juanita is puertorrican, so his son's can play for my country
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF
      Juanita is puertorrican, so his son's can play for my country
      Do you really think Jeff will ever play for Puerto Rico? well, he is american too
      Philippine Basketball Review

Cebu Travel Blog

Team Building Services in Cebu

Comment

Originally posted by thadzonline

Do you really think Jeff will ever play for Puerto Rico? well, he is american too
        Yes

Noup

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF
          Yes

Noup
          well anybody has a right to dream....hmmm, Karl Malone's wife is Filipina so his sons can play for the Philippines...LOL

Cebu Travel Blog

Comment

The Kid has a 48" Vertical Leap

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23

The Kid has a 48" Vertical Leap
              Well I'll be damned!!

He flies like his father! It's in the genes!

Comment

Originally posted by RayV
                Well I'll be damned!!

48 inches !!!! mine was only around the 20s when I last checked!!!
                NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by RayV
                  Well I'll be damned!!

But will he be great as his father

Comment

Originally posted by L8DBACK
                    But will he be great as his father
                    It is definitely unfair to compare him to his father, take some pressure off the kid

Cebu Travel Blog

Comment

It is definitely unfair to compare him to his father, take some pressure off the kid
                      Yeah. There is no way he can live up to the expectations that his father had. He'll have to make his own name.
                      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
                        Yeah. There is no way he can live up to the expectations that his father had. He'll have to make his own name.
                        it looks like not jeffrey jordan.
                        "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Playing for Puerto Rico is like playing for the US. they are still a territory. Just like Tim Duncan opted not to play for the U.S. Virgin Island. So if Jeff decide to play for puerto rico then he is still representing the U.S. Ultimately. If Juanita is REALLY puerto rican. Then I would play for Puerto Rico if I was him. It's a more realistic chance to play for Senior National team than USA. He'll improve with international experience.
                          THE BEST KEPT SECRET
                          -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

Originally posted by HoopNightmare
                            Playing for Puerto Rico is like playing for the US. they are still a territory. Just like Tim Duncan opted not to play for the U.S. Virgin Island. So if Jeff decide to play for puerto rico then he is still representing the U.S. Ultimately. If Juanita is REALLY puerto rican. Then I would play for Puerto Rico if I was him. It's a more realistic chance to play for Senior National team than USA. He'll improve with international experience.
                            You information is incorrect, playing for Puerto Rico is no the same playing for US, Puerto Rico is a territory not incorporate and is no the same like Virgin Island. I don't think so he have the abilities to go in the NT of Puerto Rico right now, and if you represent Puerto Rico, you can't represent USA.

Comment

That would be so tough to be Jordan's son. Holy cow.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information