Michael Beasley-the Next Big Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Beasley-the Next Big Thing?

MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas State guard Blake Young figured teammate Michael Beasley would break some records during his time with the Wildcats.

He just didn't know it would happen in his first game.

Beasley had 32 points and a Big 12 Conference-record 24 rebounds in his debut at Kansas State, leading the 25th-ranked Wildcats to a 94-63 victory over Sacramento State on Friday night.

"As far as (Beasley) jumping into the record books, I figured it was going to happen pretty soon," Young said. "Mike is excellent on rebounding. That's what he does. He's out there just snatching up everything that comes off the rim."

Beasley, the most highly touted recruit in school history and rated the nation's No. 1 incoming freshman by Rivals.com, broke the Big 12 mark of 23 rebounds set by Kevin Durant, who starred at Texas as a freshman last season, and Kansas' Nick Collison.

It was the second 30-point, 20-rebound game in Kansas State history. Bob Boozer had 36 points and 23 rebounds in 1957.

The dominating performance left Kansas State coach Frank Martin -- who won in his first game ever as a college head coach -- rather impressed. He even dared to mention Beasley in the same breath as that freshman who dominated the Big 12 last season.

"I'm not into comparing people," Martin said. "I think everyone's an individual, but the obvious comparison is with Kevin Durant because Kevin Durant was such a great player. If Kevin Durant was a freshman this year and Mike was a freshman last year, everybody would be trying to figure out if Kevin Durant can play up to Michael Beasley's standards.

"Mike's a heck of a player."

Martin is keeping Beasley and the rest of Kansas State's newcomers from talking to the media until further notice.

Young had 22 points and Jacob Pullen added 18 points and five assists for the Wildcats (1-0), who are ranked in the preseason poll for the first time since 1972. Young was 5-for-8 from the field, including 4-of-5 on 3-pointers.

Loren Leath had 23 points for the Hornets (0-1).

Kansas State was without three of its key returning players. Redshirt freshman Bill Walker and seniors David Hoskins and Clent Stewart all did not play because of injuries.

Martin said Hoskins -- who was second-team All-Big 12 selection last season -- could be out for an extended period of time after having surgery on his knee Thursday.

Walker and Stewart are both expected to be back shortly, Martin said.

With that said, Martin is not expecting a drop-off in the performance of his team.

"That's sports," he said. "If I start making excuses, then all I'm doing is preparing our team to fail. Injuries are a part of sports."

The Wildcats played at much more of an uptempo pace than last season, when they averaged 70.1 points per game under Bob Huggins, who left after just one season in Manhattan to return to West Virginia, his alma mater.

While that fast-paced, breakneck style produced a lot of points, it also created a ton of turnovers. The Hornets had 31 and Kansas State had 26, including eight from Beasley and six from Pullen, a freshman point guard.

"It sounds like nitpicking, but for us to be any good we cannot have 26 turnovers in a basketball game," Martin said.

The Wildcats' pressure defense had the Hornets' offense out of rhythm from the beginning, forcing 10 turnovers in the first 8 minutes and taking a 20-9 lead.

"Up close they are deceptively quick and I was very impressed with that," Sacramento State coach Jerome Jenkins said. "They've got really long arms that can get into the passing lanes."

Kansas State -- looking for its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1996 -- led 50-33 at halftime, and by then Beasley already had 16 points and 17 rebounds. He broke Norris Coleman's freshman school record for rebounds in just 19 minutes.

"He's a pro," Jenkins said. "They'll be lucky to have him after this year. That's all I can say about him."

Another Super Rookie....He's being compared to Carmelo Anthony

Comment

hell yeah!...

he's a monster...

Comment

is he a fil am??? hehehehhe

Comment

I saw video on YouTube of him, he will be good player in the NBA, also he will be better than carmelo I think

Comment

The No.1 pick in the 2008 NBA Draft the Miami Heat select Michael Beasley from Kansas State University.

Shaquille O'Neal: " Beasley would be coming to Miami Next season to save our franchise, and i cannot wait to passed the torch to the future phenom".

Michael " The Beast" Beasley"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Mike drops 23 points on 10-13 shooting, with 12 rebounds. He was voted game MVP. Includes finish to game.

http://www.SeriousUps.com Shows You How to Dunk Like The Pros. Check it out Now. Michael Beasley being awesome.

Oak Hill AcademyDC Assault Kansas StateHSSMTV Coverage

A video recap of what Michael Beasley did as a part of Team USA at the game versus France for the U19 World Championship games.
            Last edited by Lebron23; 11-10-2007, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Michael Beasley - Philippines Basketball

Am I lost or is it just me? O_0

Comment

He will be NBA superstar! I think might be better than Lebron James.. I hope he have Filipino blood and should recruit from the Philippines as naturalize.

Comment

If I am not mistaken their draft pick next year was shipped to Minnesota as part of the Ricky Davis trade. It's still early. The Heat can make the playoffs are a middle seed playoff team or even a top 4 team. The Mavericks started 0-4 last year and still finished 67-15. It's not how you start the race but how you finish the race.
                  "Life is like chess; an art and a struggle."

Comment

Originally posted by jesronne
                    is he a fil am??? hehehehhe
                    He's not a fil-am....He already played in their juniors team...

I wish we can produced a player like him....
                    Last edited by alex15; 11-10-2007, 01:24 PM.

Comment

A very exciting future for NBA basketball

Beasley is one of the "next big things" in US Basketball. Watch out for the next year's NBA Draft - - it will be loaded with college freshmen like OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose etc.

Kevin Durant and Greg Oden started the one-and-done trend since High School phenoms can't go straight to the NBA due to the NCAA ruling. Well a year of college can help - - Durant's case for example.

Lance Stephenson is also hailed as a better Lebron James but let's see how it all plays out.

Comment

man, this guy have a great NBA future. Posible no.1 pick

Comment

If i remember me right, then he played also at the WC U19 this year in Serbia (Novi Sad) and there he was good, but not that outstanding as it seems now in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Buducnost PG
                            If i remember me right, then he played also at the WC U19 this year in Serbia (Novi Sad) and there he was good, but not that outstanding as it seems now in the NCAA.
                            i think you are correct. he also was part of the juniors team that played in the Mcdonald's Usa east vs usa west high school game. he was a beast in that. larry flynn was another guy smewhere in that thick of things; i think he plays for syracuse now, the flynn guy. somebody check this up for me
                            "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

^^ yeah Flynn is amazing as well.

Beasley is a great player and hopefully won't bust. We are all waiting for him to go against the big boys first.
                              "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information