PDA

View Full Version : Kukoč: "The NBA is a league of selfish people"

rikhardur
11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Toni Kukoč slams today's NBA and hints to a possible coaching career:

// 09 November 2007
Toni Kukoc was one of Europe's biggest stars at Jugoplastika Split, winning three FIBA EuroLeague titles.

And then, he wowed audiences in Italy with Benetton Treviso.

The 2.11m Kukoc eventually left for the Chicago Bulls and ended up winning three NBA crowns.

The Croatian legend could, he believes, impart some of his wisdom by calling the shots from the sidelines.

"I do believe I would be a good coach," he said in an interview with the newspaper, Jutarnji list.

But Kukoc, according to his remarks in this article, won't be roaming the sidelines for an NBA club any time soon.

Having retired from the NBA before playing the 2006-07 campaign with the Milwaukee Bucks, Kukoc, now 39, appears to have turned sour on America's top league.

"The NBA is a league of selfish people and it is no longer a part of my life," he said.

"Last year, I watched just three games of the Chicago Bulls.

"I hardly ever go to the United Center because there's little to see. It irritates me to see the poorness of the game of today and the lack of intelligence on the court.

"There are too many selfish players in basketball nowadays. I could also have scored 30 points per game but, how many titles would I have won playing with that style?"

At the height of his game, Kukoc was like an artist, particularly with his passing and transition game in Europe.

At times, he showed those skills in America but it wasn't until Michael Jordan had ended his first retirement and come back to Chicago for the 1995-96 campaign that Kukoc won his first NBA crown.

Having experienced the best of the European game, and in North America, Kukoc has formed strong opinions.

"Fifteen years ago, a more collective basketball was played," he said.

"Today, the players believe themselves to be very smart when they say 'give me the ball to prove to you what I can do.'

"The last team was that of the Detroit Pistons.

"Afterwards, everyone wanted to imitate Michael Jordan."
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_jITepOP3G2cMTxiN0essj2.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html

Straight forward
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Respect, only respect! And the most enjoyable fact that this guy has the name in NBA and maybe some more people will understand or at least will think- what basketball is all about :p

donmar
11-10-2007, 03:45 AM
Good on him... I'm pretty sure even other former NBA players (Americans, Europeans or whatever) would rather go back to the old days than today... Its about time that a former NBA player (and a former Euroleague player) speaks out about the decreasing standard in the NBA... Kukoc is entitled to say those statement since he experience the best of both world (NBA and Euroleague... the worlds of selffishness/NBA and team work/Team Work)...

I believe the foreign invasion (particularly Europeans) are keeping the NBA standard afloat... and I won't be surprise if the new season ends with another European winning MVP or Finals MVP for the second seasons in a row...

Neozyrus
11-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Well thats something that is well known by everybody in NBA, some players like that and some just dont. But Kukoc (as all european players there) knows how true basketball is, and that even if u are a great player (as he is) if u got in your team somebody with a incredible talent (as he had in Chicago) is logical that he got more the ball (as it happens most times in Europe), but right now in NBA, as he says, everybody wants just to be like jordan and shoot every single ball that fells in their hands, the problem is, that most of them havent even the tenth of the talent of Jordan, and is that what they should recognize first of all.

Victorious
11-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Good on him... I'm pretty sure even other former NBA players (Americans, Europeans or whatever) would rather go back to the old days than today... Its about time that a former NBA player (and a former Euroleague player) speaks out about the decreasing standard in the NBA... Kukoc is entitled to say those statement since he experience the best of both world (NBA and Euroleague... the worlds of selffishness/NBA and team work/Team Work)...

I believe the foreign invasion (particularly Europeans) are keeping the NBA standard afloat... and I won't be surprise if the new season ends with another European winning MVP or Finals MVP for the second seasons in a row...

How do people in Asia, particularly in the Philipines, view NBA and European basketball. I am sure they prefer to follow NBA basketball instead of the Euroleague, but do they also believe in imitating an NBA style of game.

Here in the Netherlands most youngsters try to imitate the NBA game. They usually like to play man to man. Unfortunately that's not all too good for the development of their game.

In Greece youngsters love the tactic game. They like to shoot the three-pointer, use screens, play pick and rolls, rotate the ball in order to find the weakest link on the opposite site and also play hard defence.

donmar
11-12-2007, 12:14 AM
How do people in Asia, particularly in the Philipines, view NBA and European basketball. I am sure they prefer to follow NBA basketball instead of the Euroleague, but do they also believe in imitating an NBA style of game.

Here in the Netherlands most youngsters try to imitate the NBA game. They usually like to play man to man. Unfortunately that's not all too good for the development of their game.

In Greece youngsters love the tactic game. They like to shoot the three-pointer, use screens, play pick and rolls, rotate the ball in order to find the weakest link on the opposite site and also play hard defence.

Yup... I dunno about other Asian countries... but in basketball in the Philippines are virtually a photocopy of American basketball... when the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) was formed there is no professional league other than NBA to copy... so more than thirty years since its-started... PBA players (like NBA players) are used to one-on-one (man-to-man) basketball rather than team basketball... many Filipinos dream to be in the NBA... idolized NBA players... ... of course, every year different NBA stars visited the Philippines for promotional and basketball clinics...

About imitating... well some PBA players watch an NBA game the night before and then emulate the spectacular move of their favorite player the next day in the PBA :D ... Overall, Philippines is a former American colony... Filipinos learned basketball from America...

Filipinos love to drive and penetrate the basketball... shooters are rare... centers in Europe are more accurate in the three-point line than the average shooting guard/point guard in RP... and very few (rare) prototype of pass-first-shoot-later point guard in the Philippines... if you can pass, rebound and steal but can't shoot they won't let you in (even as a role player)...

I dunno if Euroleague have any followings in the Philippines... I haven't been there for more than five years... I only found out about Euroleague when I move here in New Zealand.. but if I have to pick between NZ and RP... I'll pick the Philippines... basketball here in NZ is boring and less popular...