Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese prospect 5-9 Narito Namizato

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...ts-slam-dunked
    According to this link Narito Namizato has been selected to attend South Kent High School in Connecticut on the "SLAM DUNK" scholarship, set up by the creator of the famous cartoon series. South Kent is home to another Asian prospect Kim Jin Soo, a Maryland commit.

Namizato, who is 5-8 and born in 1989, has drawn a lot of comparisons to Yuta Tabuse, as both had led their high school team to Japan's national titles. He grew up in Okinawa and honed his skills against American kids (of the military base) instead of regular Japanese kids. When his Fukuoka Daiichi High School team visited Taiwan for a tournament, he led the tournament in rebounds, steals and assists.
    http://twhoops.blogspot.com/2006/03/...uble-2006.html

....Chang Tsung-hsien of host team Taiwan was named men's MVP, but it was Narito Namizato of Japan's Fukuoka Daiichi HS who caught everyone's attention. At 170cm, Namizato led the tournament in assists, rebounding and steals.

Most observers said Namizato looks like "The second coming of Yuta Tabuse" or "Yuta Tabuse with a jump shot."

Namizato is obviously the most matured player on the court. He reads the floor well, can pass with either hand anytime anywhere. He can take any player one-on-one and break down opponents' defense at will.

So, keep an eye on this kid who honed his skills in hometown Okinawa against many American players.
    Recently Namizato had been selected to represent Asia in the Adidas Nations, after which he was featured on FIBA.com
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...2090/arti.html
    JPN - Japan's Namizato dreams of hitting the big time

TOKYO (FIBA) - A year ago, fans packed the arena in Saitama, Japan, to watch the best basketball players in the world.

The FIBA World Championship was an amazing event, one that was ultimately won by Spain.

The game is still working hard to climb up the ladder of popularity in the land of Sumo, though, although the country is making strides.

Japan, for example, joined the list of countries to have a player appear in an NBA game when Yuta Tabuse, a short but very quick point guard, turned out briefly for the Phoenix Suns in 2004 before moving to the NBA's Development league.

Narito NAMIZATO is a Japanese youth trying to follow in Tabuse's footsteps, and his path to success is going to be tough.

But Namizato is ready to work extremely hard.

"You have to love to play basketball and be committed," he said to FIBA.

"You need to be on court before and after everybody else, study the game on and off court.

"If you're just another guy going out there, your chances of making it aren't very high. You have to work hard for it."

Standing at 1.78m, Namizato was the shortest of the 64 kids invited to the 2007 Adidas Basketball Experience camp in New Orleans, Louisiana during the first week of August.

Coaches at the camp coaches saw a great work ethic as he focused on every aspect of the game.

He showed this shooting jump shots, but also in the less glamorous world of push-ups.

In a push-up competition, he outscored all the other kids around, while on the court he didn't rest for a single second.

Namizato grew up in Okinawa and the presence of the US Army has ensured that basketball is taught in a more creative way than in the rest of the country.

That was nothing compared to being coached by NBA coaches during the New Orleans camp.

"In Japan I watch the NBA on TV, and now that I get to see their coaches, I understand why it's so different from the basketball we know," Namizato said.

"With the coaches here, everything you do and every drill you practice has a meaning.

"They teach you how to use your body, how to get better and how to approach the game mentally. This helps you develop your game. It's really different from Japan."

The new revelations didn't stop there. For the first time in his life, Namizato had a chance to play against players who are much bigger.

"People are so strong and so big here," he said.

"Being the smallest guy in the camp, coaches taught me to be confident in my skills and to attack the rim by learning how to play with big guys without changing my game."

It's not surprising that Namizato's role model is a point guard.

"Forever, I've focused on small players, and that's why Allen Iverson is a role model for me," he said.

"With him, I saw it can be done if you play with a big heart and motivation. His game gave me a lot of inspiration."

"It's a unique experience to play with players from so many different countries," Namizato said, "but it's even more than just that.

"I got to play with top players from around the world for this age. Kids in Japan dream about it, but I got to do it."

Dreaming doesn't stop there for Namizato. If he'd be calling his own shots in his future, this won't be his last trip to the USA.

"I hope to play well in the NCAA and be in one of the top teams," he said.

"Hopefully, that would be just the first step, and after being successful there I could have a chance to play in the NBA. That's every basketball player's dream."

Yarone Arbel
    FIBA
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sinobball; 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM.
    aim low, score high

Hopefully he can be another Yutah Tabuse

Comment

Originally posted by anthoang
      Hopefully he can be another Yutah Tabuse
      i hope he'll be far better than tabuse
      WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
      SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

I think he will be good.

Issiah Thomas who is a senior point guard at South Kent is a great palyer planning to go to University of Washington in Seattle. I think it would be good to have this Japanese player on the team.

It's gotta be interesting to have two Asian starters on the court.

Comment

Good to see Namizato doing well so far in his BJ-League debut for Okinawa-Ryukyu Golden Kings.

Back in the JBL while playing for Link Tochigi Brex, Namizato had to play back-up for Yuta Tabuse. At this point, Namizato is proving to be a good scorer despite his size.

It will be interesting on how Namizato duels with BJ-League's star guards like Osaka Evessa's Cohey Aoki, Touyama Grouses' Masashi Joho, Saitama Bronco's Kenny Satterfield and Shimane Susanoo Magic's Edward Yamamoto.

Had Takumi Ishizaki stayed in the BJ-League, the match-up would have been interesting as well.

The future is bright for Namizato. The Okinawa-Ryukyu Golden Kings can go far this season, which means more exposure for Namizato.
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
            Good to see Namizato doing well so far in his BJ-League debut for Okinawa-Ryukyu Golden Kings.

Back in the JBL while playing for Link Tochigi Brex, Namizato had to play back-up for Yuta Tabuse. At this point, Namizato is proving to be a good scorer despite his size.

It will be interesting on how Namizato duels with BJ-League's star guards like Osaka Evessa's Cohey Aoki, Touyama Grouses' Masashi Joho, Saitama Bronco's Kenny Satterfield and Shimane Susanoo Magic's Edward Yamamoto.

Had Takumi Ishizaki stayed in the BJ-League, the match-up would have been interesting as well.

The future is bright for Namizato. The Okinawa-Ryukyu Golden Kings can go far this season, which means more exposure for Namizato.
            From The Japan Times in early January.

Around the league: The Japan Times has learned that Ryukyu guard Narito Namizato, who made a game-winning 3-pointer with 2 seconds left on Tuesday to lead the Golden Kings to a dramatic comeback, has been dubbed a "trash talker" by some people in the upstart league.

Talented and young, Namizato, 22, is also confident in his ability to be a game-changing player. He's averaging 11.9 points per game in his first season in the bj-league.

That said, one coach provided this analysis of Namizato: "I've heard those comments before from our Japanese players. It's one reason Namizato has been in and out of the starting lineup. Our American players were laughing after one of our games there because Namizato tried to talk trash to one of them, but they couldn't make out what he was saying because it sounded like some old slang, which he either didn't understand or mispronounced.

"But all the great scorers have that selfish level of self-confidence or overconfidence. The truly great ones figure out when to take the shot themselves, and when to pass and trust their teammates. The bad ones become mindless gunners that no one wants to play with.

"The biggest problem is that the Japanese system usually squashes that individual spirit, while the U.S creates too much of it," the coach added. "Which is why there are so few Japanese scorers who can not only shoot but create shots on their own. (Toyama's Masashi) Joho in the bj-league and (Link Tochigi's Takuya) Kawamura in the JBL are the best examples in each league, and both are routinely criticized for being too selfish. As is Kobe (Bryant), AI (Allen Iverson), or any other scorer. The challenge is always to find the balance that works for the individual and for the team. And very few achieve it.

"Will Namizato? Only if he grows up and matures. But with the bj-league system, and great teammates like David Palmer, Jeff Newton, Anthony McHenry and Tsubasa Yonamine, he has perhaps the best environment to try to find the best balance between scorer and team player. I hope he learns and grows and continues to reach his potential.

"The fact is that there are lots of players who are sitting on benches not playing in the JBL who would blossom and become very good, productive players if they were in the bj-league." ...

Comment

Namizato also participated in the BJ-League 2012 All Star Game. He displayed dribble-drive passes and quick decision making despite being a first time all-star. It is his gutsy attitude in big games is what I find remarkable.
              Sacramento Kings
              HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information